╌>

Half of the US population lives in 244 super-dense counties

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  bob-nelson  •  6 years ago  •  107 comments

Half of the US population lives in 244 super-dense counties

Manhattan has about 1.6 million residents sharing just under 23 square miles of land. Meanwhile, 669 square mile Loving County, TX has just 86 residents.

We wanted to explore the wide dispersion in the population density of the US's 3,142 counties.

The 244 densest US counties are shown in dark purple in the map below. According to the Census Bureau's population estimates for 2014 and their tabulations of the land area of each county, 50.1% of the US population lives in those counties:

55ad345a371d22dc0b8b711a-1136-852.png Business Insider/Andy Kiersz, data from US Census Bureau

=============================

Original article

by Andy Kiersz

Business Insider

There may be links in the Original Article that have not been reproduced here.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
1  seeder  Bob Nelson    6 years ago

Yikes...

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Bob Nelson @1    6 years ago

Author called off topic {SP}

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
1.1.1  SteevieGee  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    6 years ago

Author called off topic  {SP}

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.1.2  XXJefferson51  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    6 years ago

Off topic [ph]

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1.3  Greg Jones  replied to  SteevieGee @1.1.1    6 years ago

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
1.1.4  SteevieGee  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1.3    6 years ago

charger 383
Professor Silent
2  charger 383    6 years ago

This country is way overpopulated

epistte
Junior Guide
3  epistte    6 years ago

How are Las Vegas, Boise and Pheonix not on that map, when Dayton and Toledo are?

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
4  seeder  Bob Nelson    6 years ago

Phoenix may be a city, legally... but it's population density is roughly the same as Siberia. I'd guess the others are the same.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  Bob Nelson @4    6 years ago

San Juaquin, Fresno, Kern, San Bernardino, and Riverside counties in New California aren’t in the top 244 either?  

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
4.1.1  seeder  Bob Nelson  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.1    6 years ago

The topic of the map is population density.

DRHunk
Freshman Silent
4.1.2  DRHunk  replied to  Bob Nelson @4.1.1    6 years ago

i think those "New California" counties appear on the stupidest counties map not the densest city map..

DRHunk
Freshman Silent
4.1.3  DRHunk  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.1    6 years ago

Did you see the Cal 3 petition that just got over 600,000 votes from the California residents.  It makes New California LA and the surrounding counties while making Redding North California and Orange County/Riverside County South California.

It seems to be getting a little traction.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
4.1.4  Raven Wing  replied to  DRHunk @4.1.3    6 years ago

What about San Diego County, one of the largest counties in Calif.?

DRHunk
Freshman Silent
4.1.5  DRHunk  replied to  Raven Wing @4.1.4    6 years ago

it changes to South California also. The article was on CNN. the population dispersment appears equally proportioned but the income equality of the 3 states is significant.

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
6  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu     6 years ago

I've lived in the sticks and I've lived in the cities. Life in the city is much easier and much more interesting  ! 

I grew up in the middle of illinois corn fields where they still haven't figured out corn fields and baseball fields dont make for a thriving economy. Where most of the locals are still waiting on the government forty years later to fix their world... NO thanks !! 

I now live in Phoenix AZ with 4.5 million other people where jobs, money and happiness are very abundant. Here everything I need is within miles of my home and my choices are infinite.  

You can have that country life the city is the place for me. ...LoL  

New York is where I'd rather stay.
I get allergic smelling hay.
I just adore a penthouse view.
Dah-ling I love you but give me Park Avenue.

To each their own !!

epistte
Junior Guide
6.1  epistte  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @6    6 years ago

I don't want to live in a large city because I don't like people that much. My ideal location is a few miles outside of a large metro area where I can enjoy the culture and economic opportunities of the city but far enough away that I have a little space of my own.

Sophomore Guide
6.1.1  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  epistte @6.1    6 years ago

That sounds nice but in reality your only exposed to as many people as you want to be anywhere you are. I'm not a huge people fan myself, that's why I have walls, doors and windows. I also have a nice big and private back yard to enjoy the outdoors. 

When people call me or come to my door I still decide whether to answer it and deal with a human or not. 

But I also do not have a long commute to get anything and everything in life I that I want or need.

I did the "slightly country thing" myself for a time but finally committed to just buying a nice home in a nice neighborhood. It has been the best decision I ever made.  No more country living for this old country boy. 

My time and money are better spent elsewhere instead of behind the wheel of a car, in a gas station or waiting in traffic to get home. 

Like I say and believe though... to each their own. 

epistte
Junior Guide
6.1.2  epistte  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @6.1.1    6 years ago
That sounds nice but in reality your only exposed to as many people as you want to be anywhere you are. I'm not a huge people fan myself, that's why I have walls, doors and windows. I also have a nice big

I don't enjoy living in the noise and congestion of a larger city, even if I love the cultural opportunities. Right now I live in a small town but I'm within 20 minutes of Akron, an hour from Cleveland, 90 minutes from Columbus and 2.5 hours of Pittsburgh.   I can't imagine living anywhere smaller because it would be too rural, but I don't want to live in a Brooklyn brownstone either. My ideal situation would be a few acres in the Hudson Valley about 40 miles outside of NYC. Or somewhere in Ontario between Toronto and Detroit. 

A few years from college I had a job in Cleveland that led to me having a 1-hour commute. I hated that job, even when the pay was good because it was all that my life was.  2 hours commuting and 10 hours working.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
6.1.3  seeder  Bob Nelson  replied to  epistte @6.1.2    6 years ago

I agree. Small cities are the best. Fifty thousand to a hundred thousand. There'll be all the advantages of a big city, without the bigness.

epistte
Junior Guide
6.1.4  epistte  replied to  Bob Nelson @6.1.3    6 years ago

50-100k people would be a good size. Where I live now is well under 20,000.

Sophomore Guide
6.1.6  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  epistte @6.1.2    6 years ago

One of the main things I actually miss living here in this metropolis is the stars. We give off so much light 24/7 we never see the stars here.

Phoenix is so spread out the sound isn't much more of a factor than an any mid sized city here. In fact many times its surprisingly quiet. 

The other main thing I miss is the lakes and rivers. I now live in the middle of a damn desert ...lol (Although once in town, you'd never know it.) 

The main bonus of living here is Everything I want or need is within miles of me 24/7/365 and our winters can't be beat.

epistte
Junior Guide
6.1.7  epistte  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @6.1.6    6 years ago
The other main thing I miss is the lakes and rivers. I now live in the middle of a damn desert ...lol (Although once in town, you'd never know it.)

On everything but a full moon, I can walk out into my yard and see the Milky Way. It isn't clear but it is possible to make out more than 200+ stars and a handful of planets on the averge night.

There are 2 small streams that run through town and right now they are poropably flooding because we are under a flood warning due to the rain for the past 36 hours.

I can walk 4 blocks either south or east and 6 blocks west and I can be standing in a farmers field of some sort. It is a very relaxing place to live but I feel like I am 200 years behind the time because of the overwhelming social conservativeness of the area.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
6.1.8  XXJefferson51  replied to  Bob Nelson @6.1.3    6 years ago

I live in one of those.   http://www.visitredding.com/mobile/                       Redding, Ca is anti density.  It’s physically as big as San Francisco with 1/8th the population and lots of green belts, forest land, parks, and trails in the city. It’s 12 miles south to north and 8 miles west to east by major highways.  There’s not a bigger city to the west and at least 160 miles in the other directions.  It’s perfect.  Lots of all kinds of outdoor things to do and places to go and Sacramento is just over 2hr’s away and Oakland/SF 3.5 hr’s away.  

DRHunk
Freshman Silent
6.1.9  DRHunk  replied to  XXJefferson51 @6.1.8    6 years ago

does not sound like to much business or economic growth opportunities either, what the average household income there?  Is the major export crystal?

DRHunk
Freshman Silent
6.1.10  DRHunk  replied to  XXJefferson51 @6.1.8    6 years ago

Don't mean to make fun of Redding, but it seems according to crime statistics of Redding it is full of people whom like to rape and assault each other by more than 50% the national average per capita.

Crime Rates

(per 100,000) Redding USA
Crime Rate (Overall) 5,832 4,506
Murder Rate 3.1 6
Robbery Rate 110 148
Rape Rate 69 30
Assault Rate 1,914 644
Burglary Rate 905 726
Forced Entry Rate 388 417
Larceny Rate 2,460 2,185
Auto Theft Rate 370 362

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1.11  Trout Giggles  replied to    6 years ago

I bet I can name where you live within a 25 mile distance since I live in the same state

Sophomore Guide
6.1.12  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  epistte @6.1.7    6 years ago
It is a very relaxing place to live but I feel like I am 200 years behind the time because of the overwhelming social conservativeness of the area.

Totally understood, your choice. I played that"game" too long long ago. No more. I will not be left behind again.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1.13  Trout Giggles  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @6.1.12    6 years ago

I'm trying to convert conservatives one person at a time in my bible belt town

epistte
Junior Guide
6.1.14  epistte  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @6.1.12    6 years ago

I want to get out as soon as possible but as of right now I have a family obligation. I'm either moving to the NE or the NW (Oregon or Washington).  I have a friend trying to talk me into moving to the north side of Detroit to form a partnership with him as a subcontractor for Ford. 

Sophomore Guide
6.1.15  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Trout Giggles @6.1.13    6 years ago
I'm trying to convert conservatives one person at a time in my bible belt town

Why ?

Are you a glutton for punishment ?   

lol

Sophomore Guide
6.1.16  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  epistte @6.1.14    6 years ago
now I have a family obligation.

Been there, done that. Best of luck. 

I've relocated 4 times in my life, each one made my life better. But these days No more cold for me... hopefully ever. I hated the cold since I was a kid.  I grew up in central Illinois back when they had horrible cold long winters and I couldn't wait to get they hell out of that climate even as a kid. I was gone at age 19 and never looked back ...

PS: I made the mistake of going back ONE christmas. ONCE .... BRrrrr Froze my ass off !!   

epistte
Junior Guide
6.1.17  epistte  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @6.1.16    6 years ago

I shut down above 85 and just want to hibernate inside, but I tolerate the cold quite well. I like to cross-country ski. 

I've done this hike when it was in the single digits and enjoyed it.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
6.1.18  seeder  Bob Nelson  replied to  epistte @6.1.17    6 years ago

We played 18 holes this morning, and were home before 9. Then we closed everything and cranked up the air conditioning...

Sophomore Guide
6.1.19  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  epistte @6.1.17    6 years ago
I've done this hike when it was in the single digits and enjoyed it.

Brrr.. NO Way !

I guess we do get "climitoized" I personally cant stand cold weather. Anything below about 45 degrees and I head indoors.  I'm ok up to about 95 then indoors as well. 

But I haven't been in cold weather for 29 years. Even then I hated it so bad I relocated out of it. Permanently. 

But thankfully we all have different likes or we'd all be living on top of each other fighting for the same everything.

epistte
Junior Guide
6.1.20  epistte  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @6.1.19    6 years ago
I guess we do get "climitoized" I personally cant stand cold weather. Anything below about 45 degrees and I head indoors.

Its 30 outside right now and I just got back from a 4-mile walk between the time I posted the last reply. I had on a short-sleeved top, capri leggings and a fleece jacket. I was plenty warm.

Sophomore Guide
6.1.21  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  epistte @6.1.20    6 years ago

LOL

to each their own ! 

It's 78 degrees here right now and I love it.  

epistte
Junior Guide
6.1.22  epistte  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @6.1.21    6 years ago
It's 78 degrees here right now and I love it.

78 sounds great for the high temperature of the day.   It was 73 on Friday and Saturday and then it started to rain. Tonight we might get 1" of snow that will hopefully melt before 10 am. 

Sophomore Guide
6.1.23  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  epistte @6.1.22    6 years ago
73 on Friday and Saturday and then it started to rain. Tonight we might get 1" of snow

Sounds like  where you live the weather doesn't know whether its summer, spring winter or fall. lol

epistte
Junior Guide
6.1.24  epistte  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @6.1.23    6 years ago

This is typical spring weather in Ohio. You have the heat on in the morning and the AC on the commute home. 

This year is particularly weird.  I don't remember it snowing this late in the season for a very long time.

Our spring weather is a long-running joke. The tornados will start in a few weeks. YEA!

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
6.1.25  XXJefferson51  replied to  epistte @6.1.24    6 years ago

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redding,_California

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1.26  Trout Giggles  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @6.1.15    6 years ago

Yes, I am. And I'm failing and flailing

Dulay
Professor Expert
6.1.27  Dulay  replied to  XXJefferson51 @6.1.8    6 years ago
It’s physically as big as San Francisco with 1/8th the population

San Francisco is 3.5Xs bigger than Redding in land area. Sheesh.

epistte
Junior Guide
6.1.28  epistte  replied to  XXJefferson51 @6.1.25    6 years ago

How is this reply in any way relevant to what I posted?

Sophomore Guide
6.1.29  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Trout Giggles @6.1.26    6 years ago
Yes, I am. And I'm failing and flailing

Changing anyones mind about most things is difficult. Changing someone's long ingrained philosophy is next to impossible. Making small inroads into a person's defective philosophy is tough enough but it has it's silent rewards and/or personal satisfaction that just perhaps you did good for the world when successful.

I never gave up, I just try to keep it all in perspective. After all how far evolved really are are some human beings from neanderthals anyway? 

lol

Actually I saw a documentary about "Changing a human's mind" it was a very detailed documentary and it showed that once someones mind believes it has all the info it needs to make a decision it is very difficult to even get some peoples minds to even listen to or accept as reality any further information that contradicts the decision they have made.

WOW some people's minds are like steel traps. Who would have seen that coming ... LOL 

That documentary helped my perspective. Now I know some people you may never reach with what you believe to be reality. (Sometimes I may even be one of those poor souls myself.) lol

It also helped me to remember to TRY to keep an open mind. I already knew I haven't been 100 % correct every time in the past and therefore I doubt if I am in the future either. Having a closed mind allows me to never know when I'm wrong.  IMO: That sucks !    So I try not to do that. 

Knowing that helps me keep my perspective and some of my sanity...LOL 

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
8  lennylynx    6 years ago

I don't know about super-dense counties, but there sure was a lot of super-dense voting in the last election!Happy

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
8.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  lennylynx @8    6 years ago

LOL Lenny!

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
8.2  XXJefferson51  replied to  lennylynx @8    6 years ago

That was surely true in the densely populated cities and counties.  The rest of us got it right!  

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  lennylynx @8    6 years ago

I finally got that after the third reading. Talk about dense....

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
11  Trout Giggles    6 years ago

I like my small, not so densely populated state. I just need a beach

Sophomore Guide
11.1  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Trout Giggles @11    6 years ago

If you had a beach... you'd probably have more density in population, People like to live near water. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
11.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @11.1    6 years ago

I know, so I'll stay content with my woods

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
11.2  Raven Wing  replied to  Trout Giggles @11    6 years ago

Iz be a Beach Bunny....not a Snow Bunny.....so I live where it is warm and close to a beach. chuckle

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
11.2.2  Raven Wing  replied to  Release The Kraken @11.2.1    6 years ago

LOL!!!   When I lived only a block from the beach at Pacific Beach in San Diego area may years ago, I had a very bad experience with the dang sand fleas in my apt. I had to leave and stay with a Friend for a few days while they exterminated the apt. Those buggars at not for the faint hearted. 

I also had a run in with the creepy sand crabs at the beach in Padre Island in So Texas while visiting several years ago. Man those thing hurt!!! thumbs down

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
11.2.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Raven Wing @11.2    6 years ago

I hate snow. If I never see another snowflake I will die a happy camper...unless I'm skiing.

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
11.2.4  lennylynx  replied to  Trout Giggles @11.2.3    6 years ago

You don't want to ever see another snowflake??  We're going to miss you here at NT, Trout, I hope you reconsider and stay!  Snowflakes aren't so bad...

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
11.2.5  Trout Giggles  replied to  lennylynx @11.2.4    6 years ago

laughing dude

funny guy

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
12  magnoliaave    6 years ago

I was raised in inner city N,O,  Shotgun house....four rooms...three kids with Mother and Daddy.  It was great.  Took the bus to Canal St., caught the streetcar to Royal St., got off and walked five blocks to WDSU-TV Station, did my weekly TV show and came back home,  Life was good.

From North to South and East to West, I have travelled.  Lived in Mexico and England  and travelled to many Countries. My ashes will be given to the wind in front of the Plaza Hotel in N,Y, City as I totally love that City.

I have lived in the Great State of Alabama since 1974 and despite the heat to sit on the pier fishing and crabbing is heaven.  The honeysuckle is unbelievable in the summer.  I live in a beautiful small city. 

I have been truly blessed, 

katrix
Sophomore Participates
12.1  katrix  replied to  magnoliaave @12    6 years ago

Nothing like some chicken necks and a net, to go crabbing.  My friends these days seem to buy a half bushel of steamed crabs .. much better to catch them yourself, steam them yourself.  Now, I prefer doing that closer to the Chesapeake bay, where if it's too hot, we can get in the water - no alligators!

I still pull the stamens through the honeysuckle blossoms to get a drop of nectar on my tongue, just as we did as kids.  That is summer!

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
13  magnoliaave    6 years ago

Come  back from a Jubilee  put the crab pot on to boil, throw  'em in and we have boiled crabs for dinner.