Half of the US population lives in 244 super-dense counties

bob-nelson
By:  @bob-nelson, one week ago
Comments: 107 ..

Tags

Manhattan has about 1.6 million residents sharing just under 23 square miles of land. Meanwhile, 669 square mile Loving County, TX has just 86 residents.

We wanted to explore the wide dispersion in the population density of the US's 3,142 counties.

The 244 densest US counties are shown in dark purple in the map below. According to the Census Bureau's population estimates for 2014 and their tabulations of the land area of each county, 50.1% of the US population lives in those counties:

55ad345a371d22dc0b8b711a-1136-852.pngBusiness Insider/Andy Kiersz, data from US Census Bureau

=============================

Original article

by Andy Kiersz

Business Insider

There may be links in the Original Article that have not been reproduced here.

jrDiscussion - desc
smarty_function_ntUser_profile_id: user_id parameter required
Bob Nelson
1  Bob Nelson    one week ago

Yikes...

Greg Jones
1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Bob Nelson @1    one week ago

Author called off topic {SP}

SteevieGee
1.1.1  SteevieGee  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    one week ago

Author called off topic  {SP}

Heartland American
1.1.2  Heartland American  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    one week ago

Off topic [ph]

Greg Jones
1.1.3  Greg Jones  replied to  SteevieGee @1.1.1    one week ago

SteevieGee
1.1.4  SteevieGee  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1.3    one week ago

charger 383
2  charger 383    one week ago

This country is way overpopulated

epistte
3  epistte    one week ago

How are Las Vegas, Boise and Pheonix not on that map, when Dayton and Toledo are?

Bob Nelson
4  Bob Nelson    one week ago

Phoenix may be a city, legally... but it's population density is roughly the same as Siberia. I'd guess the others are the same.

Heartland American
4.1  Heartland American  replied to  Bob Nelson @4    one week ago

San Juaquin, Fresno, Kern, San Bernardino, and Riverside counties in New California aren’t in the top 244 either?  

Bob Nelson
4.1.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  Heartland American @4.1    one week ago

The topic of the map is population density.

DRHunk
4.1.2  DRHunk  replied to  Bob Nelson @4.1.1    one week ago

i think those "New California" counties appear on the stupidest counties map not the densest city map..

DRHunk
4.1.3  DRHunk  replied to  Heartland American @4.1    one week ago

Did you see the Cal 3 petition that just got over 600,000 votes from the California residents.  It makes New California LA and the surrounding counties while making Redding North California and Orange County/Riverside County South California.

It seems to be getting a little traction.

Raven Wing
4.1.4  Raven Wing  replied to  DRHunk @4.1.3    one week ago

What about San Diego County, one of the largest counties in Calif.?

DRHunk
4.1.5  DRHunk  replied to  Raven Wing @4.1.4    one week ago

it changes to South California also. The article was on CNN. the population dispersment appears equally proportioned but the income equality of the 3 states is significant.

badfish "ᏆhᎬ ᏢᎬᎾᏢᏞᎬ's fᎥsh"
5  badfish "ᏆhᎬ ᏢᎬᎾᏢᏞᎬ's fᎥsh"    one week ago

Meanwhile, 669 square mile Loving County, TX has just 86 residents.

No doubt where i rather live. Living like a cockroach is not living.

SteevieGee
5.1  SteevieGee  replied to  badfish "ᏆhᎬ ᏢᎬᎾᏢᏞᎬ's fᎥsh" @5    one week ago

Yea.  Let's all move there.

Trout Giggles
5.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  SteevieGee @5.1    one week ago

I lived in Texas for 6.5 years. I did my time.

Raven Wing
5.1.2  Raven Wing  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.1.1    one week ago

"I did my time"

Ditto!

321steve
6  321steve    one week ago

I've lived in the sticks and I've lived in the cities. Life in the city is much easier and much more interesting  ! 

I grew up in the middle of illinois corn fields where they still haven't figured out corn fields and baseball fields dont make for a thriving economy. Where most of the locals are still waiting on the government forty years later to fix their world... NO thanks !! 

I now live in Phoenix AZ with 4.5 million other people where jobs, money and happiness are very abundant. Here everything I need is within miles of my home and my choices are infinite.  

You can have that country life the city is the place for me. ...LoL  

New York is where I'd rather stay.
I get allergic smelling hay.
I just adore a penthouse view.
Dah-ling I love you but give me Park Avenue.

To each their own !!

epistte
6.1  epistte  replied to  321steve @6    one week ago

I don't want to live in a large city because I don't like people that much. My ideal location is a few miles outside of a large metro area where I can enjoy the culture and economic opportunities of the city but far enough away that I have a little space of my own.

321steve
6.1.1  321steve  replied to  epistte @6.1    one week ago

That sounds nice but in reality your only exposed to as many people as you want to be anywhere you are. I'm not a huge people fan myself, that's why I have walls, doors and windows. I also have a nice big and private back yard to enjoy the outdoors. 

When people call me or come to my door I still decide whether to answer it and deal with a human or not. 

But I also do not have a long commute to get anything and everything in life I that I want or need.

I did the "slightly country thing" myself for a time but finally committed to just buying a nice home in a nice neighborhood. It has been the best decision I ever made.  No more country living for this old country boy. 

My time and money are better spent elsewhere instead of behind the wheel of a car, in a gas station or waiting in traffic to get home. 

Like I say and believe though... to each their own. 

epistte
6.1.2  epistte  replied to  321steve @6.1.1    one week ago
That sounds nice but in reality your only exposed to as many people as you want to be anywhere you are. I'm not a huge people fan myself, that's why I have walls, doors and windows. I also have a nice big

I don't enjoy living in the noise and congestion of a larger city, even if I love the cultural opportunities. Right now I live in a small town but I'm within 20 minutes of Akron, an hour from Cleveland, 90 minutes from Columbus and 2.5 hours of Pittsburgh.   I can't imagine living anywhere smaller because it would be too rural, but I don't want to live in a Brooklyn brownstone either. My ideal situation would be a few acres in the Hudson Valley about 40 miles outside of NYC. Or somewhere in Ontario between Toronto and Detroit. 

A few years from college I had a job in Cleveland that led to me having a 1-hour commute. I hated that job, even when the pay was good because it was all that my life was.  2 hours commuting and 10 hours working.

Bob Nelson
6.1.3  Bob Nelson  replied to  epistte @6.1.2    one week ago

I agree. Small cities are the best. Fifty thousand to a hundred thousand. There'll be all the advantages of a big city, without the bigness.

epistte
6.1.4  epistte  replied to  Bob Nelson @6.1.3    one week ago

50-100k people would be a good size. Where I live now is well under 20,000.

IceMan
6.1.5  IceMan  replied to  epistte @6.1.4    one week ago

I live close a city of 86,000 that I consider a city in the woods. A 30-minute drive north puts me in the Boston Mountains located in the Ozark National Forest.

http://onlyinark.com/places-and-travel/family-drive-round-boston-mountains-scenic-loop/

A 40-minute drive southwest puts me in the Ouachita Mountains.

http://www.exploresouthernhistory.com/ouachita1.html

From my town I can enjoy a day and the night live in a city or camp out in the mountains.

321steve
6.1.6  321steve  replied to  epistte @6.1.2    one week ago

One of the main things I actually miss living here in this metropolis is the stars. We give off so much light 24/7 we never see the stars here.

Phoenix is so spread out the sound isn't much more of a factor than an any mid sized city here. In fact many times its surprisingly quiet. 

The other main thing I miss is the lakes and rivers. I now live in the middle of a damn desert ...lol (Although once in town, you'd never know it.) 

The main bonus of living here is Everything I want or need is within miles of me 24/7/365 and our winters can't be beat.

epistte
6.1.7  epistte  replied to  321steve @6.1.6    one week ago
The other main thing I miss is the lakes and rivers. I now live in the middle of a damn desert ...lol (Although once in town, you'd never know it.)

On everything but a full moon, I can walk out into my yard and see the Milky Way. It isn't clear but it is possible to make out more than 200+ stars and a handful of planets on the averge night.

There are 2 small streams that run through town and right now they are poropably flooding because we are under a flood warning due to the rain for the past 36 hours.

I can walk 4 blocks either south or east and 6 blocks west and I can be standing in a farmers field of some sort. It is a very relaxing place to live but I feel like I am 200 years behind the time because of the overwhelming social conservativeness of the area.

Heartland American
6.1.8  Heartland American  replied to  Bob Nelson @6.1.3    one week ago

I live in one of those.   http://www.visitredding.com/mobile/                       Redding, Ca is anti density.  It’s physically as big as San Francisco with 1/8th the population and lots of green belts, forest land, parks, and trails in the city. It’s 12 miles south to north and 8 miles west to east by major highways.  There’s not a bigger city to the west and at least 160 miles in the other directions.  It’s perfect.  Lots of all kinds of outdoor things to do and places to go and Sacramento is just over 2hr’s away and Oakland/SF 3.5 hr’s away.  

DRHunk
6.1.9  DRHunk  replied to  Heartland American @6.1.8    one week ago

does not sound like to much business or economic growth opportunities either, what the average household income there?  Is the major export crystal?

DRHunk
6.1.10  DRHunk  replied to  Heartland American @6.1.8    one week ago

Don't mean to make fun of Redding, but it seems according to crime statistics of Redding it is full of people whom like to rape and assault each other by more than 50% the national average per capita.

Crime Rates

(per 100,000) Redding USA
Crime Rate (Overall) 5,832 4,506
Murder Rate 3.1 6
Robbery Rate 110 148
Rape Rate 69 30
Assault Rate 1,914 644
Burglary Rate 905 726
Forced Entry Rate 388 417
Larceny Rate 2,460 2,185
Auto Theft Rate 370 362

Trout Giggles
6.1.11  Trout Giggles  replied to  IceMan @6.1.5    one week ago

I bet I can name where you live within a 25 mile distance since I live in the same state

321steve
6.1.12  321steve  replied to  epistte @6.1.7    one week ago
It is a very relaxing place to live but I feel like I am 200 years behind the time because of the overwhelming social conservativeness of the area.

Totally understood, your choice. I played that"game" too long long ago. No more. I will not be left behind again.

Trout Giggles
6.1.13  Trout Giggles  replied to  321steve @6.1.12    one week ago

I'm trying to convert conservatives one person at a time in my bible belt town

epistte
6.1.14  epistte  replied to  321steve @6.1.12    one week ago

I want to get out as soon as possible but as of right now I have a family obligation. I'm either moving to the NE or the NW (Oregon or Washington).  I have a friend trying to talk me into moving to the north side of Detroit to form a partnership with him as a subcontractor for Ford. 

321steve
6.1.15  321steve  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.1.13    one week ago
I'm trying to convert conservatives one person at a time in my bible belt town

Why ?

Are you a glutton for punishment ?   

lol

321steve
6.1.16  321steve  replied to  epistte @6.1.14    one week ago
now I have a family obligation.

Been there, done that. Best of luck. 

I've relocated 4 times in my life, each one made my life better. But these days No more cold for me... hopefully ever. I hated the cold since I was a kid.  I grew up in central Illinois back when they had horrible cold long winters and I couldn't wait to get they hell out of that climate even as a kid. I was gone at age 19 and never looked back ...

PS: I made the mistake of going back ONE christmas. ONCE .... BRrrrr Froze my ass off !!   

epistte
6.1.17  epistte  replied to  321steve @6.1.16    one week ago

I shut down above 85 and just want to hibernate inside, but I tolerate the cold quite well. I like to cross-country ski. 

I've done this hike when it was in the single digits and enjoyed it.

https://www.hockinghills.com/winter_hike.html

Bob Nelson
6.1.18  Bob Nelson  replied to  epistte @6.1.17    one week ago

We played 18 holes this morning, and were home before 9. Then we closed everything and cranked up the air conditioning...

321steve
6.1.19  321steve  replied to  epistte @6.1.17    one week ago
I've done this hike when it was in the single digits and enjoyed it.

Brrr.. NO Way !

I guess we do get "climitoized" I personally cant stand cold weather. Anything below about 45 degrees and I head indoors.  I'm ok up to about 95 then indoors as well. 

But I haven't been in cold weather for 29 years. Even then I hated it so bad I relocated out of it. Permanently. 

But thankfully we all have different likes or we'd all be living on top of each other fighting for the same everything.

epistte
6.1.20  epistte  replied to  321steve @6.1.19    one week ago
I guess we do get "climitoized" I personally cant stand cold weather. Anything below about 45 degrees and I head indoors.

Its 30 outside right now and I just got back from a 4-mile walk between the time I posted the last reply. I had on a short-sleeved top, capri leggings and a fleece jacket. I was plenty warm.

321steve
6.1.21  321steve  replied to  epistte @6.1.20    one week ago

LOL

to each their own ! 

It's 78 degrees here right now and I love it.  

epistte
6.1.22  epistte  replied to  321steve @6.1.21    one week ago
It's 78 degrees here right now and I love it.

78 sounds great for the high temperature of the day.   It was 73 on Friday and Saturday and then it started to rain. Tonight we might get 1" of snow that will hopefully melt before 10 am. 

321steve
6.1.23  321steve  replied to  epistte @6.1.22    one week ago
73 on Friday and Saturday and then it started to rain. Tonight we might get 1" of snow

Sounds like  where you live the weather doesn't know whether its summer, spring winter or fall. lol

epistte
6.1.24  epistte  replied to  321steve @6.1.23    one week ago

This is typical spring weather in Ohio. You have the heat on in the morning and the AC on the commute home. 

This year is particularly weird.  I don't remember it snowing this late in the season for a very long time.

Our spring weather is a long-running joke. The tornados will start in a few weeks. YEA!

https://goo.gl/images/YTUAz8

Trout Giggles
6.1.26  Trout Giggles  replied to  321steve @6.1.15    one week ago

Yes, I am. And I'm failing and flailing

Dulay
6.1.27  Dulay  replied to  Heartland American @6.1.8    one week ago
It’s physically as big as San Francisco with 1/8th the population

San Francisco is 3.5Xs bigger than Redding in land area. Sheesh.

epistte
6.1.28  epistte  replied to  Heartland American @6.1.25    one week ago

How is this reply in any way relevant to what I posted?

321steve
6.1.29  321steve  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.1.26    one week ago
Yes, I am. And I'm failing and flailing

Changing anyones mind about most things is difficult. Changing someone's long ingrained philosophy is next to impossible. Making small inroads into a person's defective philosophy is tough enough but it has it's silent rewards and/or personal satisfaction that just perhaps you did good for the world when successful.

I never gave up, I just try to keep it all in perspective. After all how far evolved really are are some human beings from neanderthals anyway? 

lol

Actually I saw a documentary about "Changing a human's mind" it was a very detailed documentary and it showed that once someones mind believes it has all the info it needs to make a decision it is very difficult to even get some peoples minds to even listen to or accept as reality any further information that contradicts the decision they have made.

WOW some people's minds are like steel traps. Who would have seen that coming ... LOL 

That documentary helped my perspective. Now I know some people you may never reach with what you believe to be reality. (Sometimes I may even be one of those poor souls myself.) lol

It also helped me to remember to TRY to keep an open mind. I already knew I haven't been 100 % correct every time in the past and therefore I doubt if I am in the future either. Having a closed mind allows me to never know when I'm wrong.  IMO: That sucks !    So I try not to do that. 

Knowing that helps me keep my perspective and some of my sanity...LOL 

IceMan
6.2  IceMan  replied to  321steve @6    one week ago

If Heaven ain't a lot like Dixie

I don't wanna go

If Heaven ain't a lot like Dixie

I'd just as soon stay home

If they don't have a Grand Ole Opry
Like they do in Tennessee
Just send me to Hell or New York City
It would be about the same to me

321steve
6.2.1  321steve  replied to  IceMan @6.2    one week ago

LOL ..... Well phoenix certainly is not heaven, although today we are a wonderful 85 degrees. 

Normally we are closer to HELL though. 

IceMan
6.2.2  IceMan  replied to  321steve @6.2.1    one week ago

I spent 10 days in Phoenix during the month of August in 1997 I seen birds using potholders to pull worms out of the ground. It was so hot farmers were feeding their chickens crushed ice to keep them from laying hard-boiled eggs.

Bob Nelson
6.2.3  Bob Nelson  replied to  IceMan @6.2.2    one week ago

Arizona!

The temperature in our courtyard right now is 110° F.

Phoenix is for sissies.

Yuma!!

IceMan
6.2.4  IceMan  replied to  Bob Nelson @6.2.3    one week ago

The temperature in Yuma is now 89 in Phoenix its 90. If your courtyard is 110 F it's enclosed in a hothouse.

epistte
6.2.5  epistte  replied to  Bob Nelson @6.2.3    one week ago
The temperature in our courtyard right now is 110° F.

That is insane! I get bitchy when it's gets above 85° in humid Ohio.  I am not a hot weather person.

It's mid-50s and moderate rain here.

Bob Nelson
6.2.6  Bob Nelson  replied to  IceMan @6.2.4    one week ago

So... You know better than the thermometer?

Wow... I bow to you

IceMan
6.2.7  IceMan  replied to  Bob Nelson @6.2.6    one week ago

Your thermometer is broke.

Ed-NavDoc
6.2.8  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  321steve @6.2.1    one week ago

Glad I live down in Douglas down on the AZ/Mexico border. We had a high of 86 today. This town has population of about 13,000 and even that is too many people for me! Have lived all over the world and have come to hate large populations!

321steve
6.2.9  321steve  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @6.2.8    one week ago
This town has population of about 13,000 and even that is too many people for me!

To each their own. I started out life in a very small town myself. I could go back there today and pick up right where I left off 40 years ago. ( I know from old facebook friends) NO THANK YOU

Life moves slow in places with few people. I enjoy new things, people and places it adds spice to my life. So I prefer to live where things are changing, growing and hopefully getting better.

Luckily Phoenix seems to be one of those places. In fact since I've been living here Phoenix has been one of the fastest growing cities in the nation and the Job market shows it. 

Heartland American
6.2.10  Heartland American  replied to  IceMan @6.2    one week ago

I love the south!  I was born in Nashville and loved it when I got to go back.  

Raven Wing
6.2.11  Raven Wing  replied to  IceMan @6.2.2    one week ago

good one

Good ones!

I was visiting Friends in Phoenix AZ over the 4th of July holiday in 1967, and it was 118 degrees at midnight as we sat out around their pool. It was almost too hot to even breathe!

Raven Wing
6.2.12  Raven Wing  replied to  Bob Nelson @6.2.3    one week ago

Here where I live in So Calif 110-115 degrees during the months of Aug and Sept are normal. Luckily, there is very little humidity so it is not as debilitating as it would be with even low humidity. 

XDm9mm
7  XDm9mm    one week ago

Left NY in '84 and never looked back.

The ONLY reason I ever go back is for work or to visit family.  No more work and only by brother left, so trips will be nonexistent in a couple years.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
7.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  XDm9mm @7    one week ago

Sorry you feel that way. I love NY. It has everything. Well, I could live without the humidity. 

321steve
7.1.1  321steve  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @7.1    one week ago

Hi Perrie. It's been a while.

I dont know that I would like NY city. Not too big, too congested. and too damn cold !

NYC has Too many people living in too small of an area for me. Phoenix is huge, half the population of NYC and spreads out for miles and miles. Most single story buildings. 

NYC = over 10,000 people per square mile

Phoenix AZ = under 3,000 people per square mile

The street system here is also one of the best laid out I've ever seen, Its all on a grid laid out about a mile apart for most major streets with a progressive numbered system. The area I live in has a mid size feel with the advantages of a huge metropolitan city. PS: I grew up in a town of about 25,000 people, moved on and never regretted it or even looked back much. 

When I did  look back I found many people I grew up with just as I left them 40 years ago. They had the same interests, the same friends, the same jobs and the same homes... Talk about bored to death before your time... LOL  

I might like the energy of NYC for a while but I think living in that close proximity to so many others 24/7/365 would not be to my liking for long.  Not to mention the winters there...

But it sure would be a nice change come say about July...LOL 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
7.1.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  321steve @7.1.1    one week ago

Hi 321 Steve,

Nice to see you again! 

There is Manhattan and then there is greater NYC, which includes The Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn and Staten Island. They all have a different grove of their own and their own level of population. Even Manhattan is different with the lower part being fairly decompressed compared to say midtown. 

I agree about change. Although I have always been an Island Girl (no Elton John song included), I have lived in London, and 7 places on Long Island, NYC, including Brooklyn and Queens and upstate NY by Monticello (White Lake).

Something you're trying to tell me? Send me an email. 

katrix
7.1.3  katrix  replied to  321steve @7.1.1    one week ago

No, 95 degrees and humidity in NYC is not fun.  The smell of garbage and piss, the stifling heat of the non-airconditioned subway stations ..  cities in summer aren't great where it's hot and humid.  I did love the energy of NYC when I lived there, but the only wildlife was rats and pigeons .. these people live on an island and don't even seem to notice the water ... I loved it in spring, fall, and winter, but hated it in the summer.  Even thunderstorms are wasted; you can't see the storms through the buildings, and can't hear them above the city noise.  As a nature lover, it was just too much concrete for me.  (as I speak, our first major thunderstorm of the year is rolling .. I have my windows open to hear it)

Who did that song .. hot times, summer in the city?  It's overrated.

Give me my small town of fewer than 2,000 people .. it can get hot and humid, but there are rivers and mountains and trees and breezes and not many people.  Of course, there is no public transportation and not many jobs for people who don't commute.  It's all a tradeoff, I suppose.  I'm close enough to visit the city when I want to, via Amtrak or even driving.  

I'd still take NYC over DC or Baltimore - same heat and humidity but much more energy - but I'd take Denver over NYC.  

321steve
7.1.4  321steve  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @7.1.2    one week ago

Something you're trying to tell me? Send me an email. 

LOL... Not really hinting... I have a pack of Chows I can't leave even if I wanted to. I'm stuck baking in Phoenix....lol

But I do feel I'm missing something by never seeing NYC.   Maybe someday I will.  If I had a bucket list, that would be on it. .. I don't..lol

321steve
7.1.5  321steve  replied to  katrix @7.1.3    one week ago

I love your NY description in the summer.... Almost too graphic. lol 

OK maybe NYC doesn't sound so good in the summer after all. But 115 to 120 degree weather is no sweet bless either no matter where you are. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
7.1.6  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  321steve @7.1.4    one week ago

It should be on your bucket list.. except in July and Aug. Then you want to be on the Isle of Long. 

Hey.. didn't know you had chows. Beautiful dogs. 

katrix
7.1.7  katrix  replied to  321steve @7.1.5    one week ago

I love the "but it's DRY heat" comments.  I was in Vegas in August - 120 in the shade.  Sticking my head in the oven is dry heat too, but I assume it's still not fun.  For me, the tradeoff for the humidity is the gardening and the summer storms I love.

NYC is definitely worth seeing if you get a chance - but go in the fall.  That way, you can enjoy the beauty of the surrounding parts of NY, and yes - even Jersey (once you get west of Newark).  Since most of the parks in NYC are only concrete - no actual grass or flowers - there's not much benefit to going in the spring.  Now, DC is beautiful in the spring. 

There's a lot of cool free stuff to do in NYC.  I was in lower Manhattan.  Always free live music, the subway is free entertainment in itself.  Once, this guy in a long horse costume was on the subway (had to be at least 4 feet long).  Long cardboard horse costume, with fake cowboy legs over the sides.  He went up and down the cars singing Santana's "Oye Como Va" and holding out his cup for change.  I wondered how the heck he got it through the turnstiles!  And yes, I gave him a few bucks - I figured he earned it.  Bill Cosby's "A Nut In Every Car" is hilarious. And spot on.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
7.1.8  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  katrix @7.1.3    one week ago
I'd still take NYC over DC or Baltimore

I had my full of Baltimore after the riots. My girls went to Hopkins and they felt the same way. But there are nice things about it.. you just got to get through a lot of crappy places to get to the nice ones. The waterfront and Fells Point are both fun.

321steve
7.1.9  321steve  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @7.1.6    one week ago

Thanks Perrie, IF I ever do come to see NYC I'll come at a time I can enjoy seeing the the actual city. Times square and the skyscrapers. I believe I would also be a visiter only...LOL 

Too dence of a population for me for a long term environment.

And yes I love Chow Chows. I have breed them for many years. I've had at least one Chow monster most of my life and at this time I have a pack of five. One male and his four females. they have the run of my home and yard most of the time and are wonderful babies. Many times  I'll have more than one litter of puppies running around as well. I guess you might say I live in a kennel.....lol  A really nice one though...LOL

katrix
7.1.10  katrix  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @7.1.8    one week ago

The problem with Baltimore is that one block in the wrong direction ... and you're toast.  The Inner Harbor is pretty nice these days, but it's lost most of its native charm.  On the other hand, North Point Blvd is probably just as likely to get me killed as it ever was, so maybe there is still some native charm.  They don't call it Charm City for nothing.  

Chinatown in NYC is fascinating, speaking of that.  In DC it's almost gone; when I go to a Caps game or a concert, we often drink at the Irish bar in Chinatown.  Seems weird to walk through the arch to drink at an Irish bar (not Fado's - the Irish Channel).

katrix
7.1.11  katrix  replied to  321steve @7.1.9    one week ago
And yes I love Chow Chows.

My former neighbors had a Chow.  He would come over and hang out with my cat.  If someone stopped to ask directions, the cat and the Chow would walk up to the road with me - you can imagine the looks I got!  

321steve
7.1.12  321steve  replied to  katrix @7.1.11    one week ago

Thats funny, I've always said Chows have a lot of cat like qualities, they want attention when THEY want it, they go bathroom in the same place all the time, they clean themselves like cats do and they will clean each other where they cant get to themselves if in a pack.

They are also like teenagers , ya have to tell them everything 3 times. LOL 

"Go outside"

"Go outside"

" GO OUTSIDE ! "  

I call mine affectionately "My Monsters" 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
7.1.13  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  321steve @7.1.12    one week ago

Funny I have a cat that is like a dog.. needy and follows us everywhere. 

Maybe we should cross breed, LOL

epistte
7.1.14  epistte  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @7.1.13    one week ago
Funny I have a cat that is like a dog.. needy and follows us everywhere.

I have a tuxedo tomcat like that. His name is Holstein but his nickname is VISA because he is everywhere I want to be.

He won't leave me alone. Right now he is sitting on the mousepad because every time I move the mouse he gets his tummy rubbed.

321steve
7.1.15  321steve  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @7.1.13    one week ago

"Maybe we should cross breed, LOL"

LOL maybe not, that's one of the reason I love my Chows, their personality type. 

They're kinda like large cats and even somewhat look like lions. Their "air of independence" is refreshing.      

(Funny thing though, underneath it all, they Love the attention !! ...LOL ) and mine are such big babies. 

To me.   

IceMan
7.1.16  IceMan  replied to  321steve @7.1.1    one week ago
They had the same interests, the same friends

Lifelong friendships aren't easy to come by and are of great value. Although I moved over 1600 miles from my hometown more than 52 years ago I still maintain a close relationship with two people I've been friends with for over 60 years. They and their wives visit me every other summer for about two weeks and my wife and I visit them for two weeks the other alternate summers. Yes, we have many different interest now and share some of the same but our friendship remains strong. 

321steve
7.1.17  321steve  replied to  IceMan @7.1.16    one week ago

While I agree long term, life long friends are great and an important PART of a well rounded life, But, never advancing past that point is what many people who still live where I originally come are still at.

I visited there after a ten year absence, the badly painted houses I saw as I left town still had not been painted. No new construction or advancements in years because Nothing changes in Bartonville Ill.... ever.   its a place where time seemingly stands still till you rot and die.

People I went to high school with 40 years ago still hang out together, they work at he same jobs (together) and go to the same stores, many still live in the same homes and go to the same churches hearing the same sounds, seeing the same sights and leading the same day day after day after day after day... No thanks. Not to mention This part of Ill has no economy, no work, no money and is poor, dirty and has cold winters.

40 years later people there dont seem to still have figured out that corn fields and baseball fields dont make for a thriving economy and many are still waiting on the government to fix their poverty stricken world

At an early age, I believed I would have a better and more complete life if I relocated. I truly believe I did. 

IceMan
7.1.18  IceMan  replied to  katrix @7.1.7    one week ago
I love the "but it's DRY heat" comments.

Yup. as though "Dry Heat" isn't as bad as high wet heat. I live in the south with the heat and high humidity, during August of 1997 I spend over 3 weeks in Pheonix, Nogales, and Cottonwood, AZ. In my state I sweat in Arizona I baked, I'll take the humidity over the baking heat any day. The only advantage to dry heat is air conditioning doesn't have to work as hard 

Tessylo
7.1.19  Tessylo  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @7.1.8    one week ago
'I had my full of Baltimore after the riots. My girls went to Hopkins and they felt the same way. But there are nice things about it.. you just got to get through a lot of crappy places to get to the nice ones. The waterfront and Fells Point are both fun.'

That can be said of most major cities.

Those riots have been several years ago now.  

Knock Baltimore all you want - but like most  major cities - it has its share of crime, etc.  

There are lots of great things in Baltimore too - like most major cities.  

IceMan
7.1.20  IceMan  replied to  321steve @7.1.17    one week ago

My two friends no longer live in the same city we grew up in, both have owned homes in different parts of the state. The block we were raised on looks pretty much the same, the only difference is the complextion of the residents, but they have kept the homes well maintained. The old mom and pop stores are all gone replaced by chain stores and or newer homes. The high school we went to has been converted into apartments. None of the kids I went to school with live in the same city let alone the same neighborhood.    

321steve
7.1.21  321steve  replied to  IceMan @7.1.20    one week ago

Well then you definitely aren't from the same small town I came from...LOL

Raven Wing
7.1.22  Raven Wing  replied to  Tessylo @7.1.19    one week ago
There are lots of great things in Baltimore too - like most major cities.

When I lived in No Virginia a few years back I visited the great National Aquarium there, and the Port district. I had dinner with Friends at Captain James Crabhouse, and we had a great time. I loved the old buildings and would like to have spent a bit more time there, but, timing was not on my side. 

lennylynx
8  lennylynx    one week ago

I don't know about super-dense counties, but there sure was a lot of super-dense voting in the last election!Happy

Perrie Halpern R.A.
8.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  lennylynx @8    one week ago

LOL Lenny!

Heartland American
8.2  Heartland American  replied to  lennylynx @8    one week ago

That was surely true in the densely populated cities and counties.  The rest of us got it right!  

Trout Giggles
8.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  lennylynx @8    one week ago

I finally got that after the third reading. Talk about dense....

IceMan
9  IceMan    one week ago

When I visited NYC I left with the impression it was a huge dumpster overflowing with garbage and deranged people. That was in 1968, hopefully, it's changed for the better.

321steve
9.1  321steve  replied to  IceMan @9    one week ago
That was in 1968, hopefully, it's changed for the better.

The world is a dumpster filled wth deranged people NYC sounds like a condensed version of reality to me.      

Sounds like a must see place so one can fully appreciate the opposite. 

Trump Won, Liberals Lost Their Shit, I Love It
10  Trump Won, Liberals Lost Their Shit, I Love It    one week ago

The good thing I see and will continue to see is these pockets of dense, really dense democrats :) are one of the reasons the democrats will have a tough time winning POTUS elections. As we have seen since 2016, democrats really don't know how the POTUS is elected (hint: not popular vote) and as such thew 535 number is much, much, much more difficult to attain as long as dems stay in their dense cesspools. Gotta love the dense cesspools that the democrats enjoy!!!!!

Trump Won, Liberals Lost Their Shit, I Love It
10.1  Trump Won, Liberals Lost Their Shit, I Love It  replied to  Trump Won, Liberals Lost Their Shit, I Love It @10    one week ago

Dems might get 240 or so out of 538 but the magic number of 270 will be much more difficult. They deserve nothing less.

Trout Giggles
11  Trout Giggles    one week ago

I like my small, not so densely populated state. I just need a beach

321steve
11.1  321steve  replied to  Trout Giggles @11    one week ago

If you had a beach... you'd probably have more density in population, People like to live near water. 

Trout Giggles
11.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  321steve @11.1    one week ago

I know, so I'll stay content with my woods

Raven Wing
11.2  Raven Wing  replied to  Trout Giggles @11    one week ago

Iz be a Beach Bunny....not a Snow Bunny.....so I live where it is warm and close to a beach. chuckle

badfish "ᏆhᎬ ᏢᎬᎾᏢᏞᎬ's fᎥsh"
11.2.1  badfish "ᏆhᎬ ᏢᎬᎾᏢᏞᎬ's fᎥsh"  replied to  Raven Wing @11.2    one week ago

I use bengay to keep the sand fleas away, it attracts older women really well though.

Raven Wing
11.2.2  Raven Wing  replied to  badfish "ᏆhᎬ ᏢᎬᎾᏢᏞᎬ's fᎥsh" @11.2.1    one week ago

LOL!!!   When I lived only a block from the beach at Pacific Beach in San Diego area may years ago, I had a very bad experience with the dang sand fleas in my apt. I had to leave and stay with a Friend for a few days while they exterminated the apt. Those buggars at not for the faint hearted. 

I also had a run in with the creepy sand crabs at the beach in Padre Island in So Texas while visiting several years ago. Man those thing hurt!!! thumbs down

Trout Giggles
11.2.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Raven Wing @11.2    one week ago

I hate snow. If I never see another snowflake I will die a happy camper...unless I'm skiing.

lennylynx
11.2.4  lennylynx  replied to  Trout Giggles @11.2.3    one week ago

You don't want to ever see another snowflake??  We're going to miss you here at NT, Trout, I hope you reconsider and stay!  Snowflakes aren't so bad...

Trout Giggles
11.2.5  Trout Giggles  replied to  lennylynx @11.2.4    one week ago

laughing dude

funny guy

magnoliaave
12  magnoliaave    one week ago

I was raised in inner city N,O,  Shotgun house....four rooms...three kids with Mother and Daddy.  It was great.  Took the bus to Canal St., caught the streetcar to Royal St., got off and walked five blocks to WDSU-TV Station, did my weekly TV show and came back home,  Life was good.

From North to South and East to West, I have travelled.  Lived in Mexico and England  and travelled to many Countries. My ashes will be given to the wind in front of the Plaza Hotel in N,Y, City as I totally love that City.

I have lived in the Great State of Alabama since 1974 and despite the heat to sit on the pier fishing and crabbing is heaven.  The honeysuckle is unbelievable in the summer.  I live in a beautiful small city. 

I have been truly blessed, 

katrix
12.1  katrix  replied to  magnoliaave @12    one week ago

Nothing like some chicken necks and a net, to go crabbing.  My friends these days seem to buy a half bushel of steamed crabs .. much better to catch them yourself, steam them yourself.  Now, I prefer doing that closer to the Chesapeake bay, where if it's too hot, we can get in the water - no alligators!

I still pull the stamens through the honeysuckle blossoms to get a drop of nectar on my tongue, just as we did as kids.  That is summer!

magnoliaave
13  magnoliaave    one week ago

Come  back from a Jubilee  put the crab pot on to boil, throw  'em in and we have boiled crabs for dinner.

Share This

Flagging unavailable