╌>

David Buckel, prominent gay rights lawyer, burns himself to death in New York to protest global warming

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  badfish-voted-most-popular-member-for-4-years  •  6 years ago  •  30 comments

David Buckel, prominent gay rights lawyer, burns himself to death in New York to protest global warming

Daxwf9aWsAAGmV.jpg

A “green” activist who was a pioneering lawyer for gay and transgender rights — including in the notorious “Boys Don’t Cry” rape murder case — committed suicide by setting himself on fire Saturday morning in Brooklyn’s Prospect Park in a grisly act of protest against the ecological destruction of the Earth.

David Buckel, 60, left behind a charred corpse and a typed suicide note that said he was burning himself to death using “fossil fuel” to reflect how mankind was likewise killing itself, police sources said.

He left the note in a manila envelope marked “To The Police,” recovered from inside a black metal pushcart he discarded at the scene.

“Most humans on the planet now breathe air made unhealthy by fossil fuels, and many die early deaths as a result,” Buckel wrote in his note, which   he also sent to the New York Times .

“My early death by fossil fuel reflects what we are doing to ourselves.”

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/04/15/david-buckel-prominent-gay-rights-lawyer-burns-himself-to-death-in-new-york-to-protest-global-warming.html

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Rmando
Sophomore Silent
2  Rmando    6 years ago

What a senseless and pointless act. If anybody is moved to do anything about climate change it won't be because of self destructive foolishness like this.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
2.1  Freefaller  replied to  Rmando @2    6 years ago

Agreed, but small positive unlike some others in this day and age at least he chose to take himself out without killing or harming innocents.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
2.1.1  Jasper2529  replied to  Freefaller @2.1    6 years ago
at least he chose to take himself out without killing or harming innocents.

Not really.

David Buckel, 60, left behind a charred corpse and a typed suicide note that said he was burning himself to death using “fossil fuel” to reflect how mankind was likewise killing itself, police sources said.

He committed suicide using the very source he was "protesting" and it went into the air we breathe.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
2.1.2  katrix  replied to  Jasper2529 @2.1.1    6 years ago

Exactly.  It's like me protesting the plastic trash in the oceans by encasing myself in plastic and jumping in the ocean.  

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
2.1.3  Freefaller  replied to  Jasper2529 @2.1.1    6 years ago
Not really. David Buckel, 60, left behind a charred corpse and a typed suicide note that said he was burning himself to death using “fossil fuel” to reflect how mankind was likewise killing itself, police sources said.He committed suicide using the very source he was "protesting" and it went into the air we breathe.

Seems a little overly pedantic interpretation of my comment. But ok I apologize and amend my statement to read he did not directly kill or directly physically harm anyone else.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
2.1.4  Jasper2529  replied to  Freefaller @2.1.3    6 years ago

You combined my words and those in the article to make it seem like I said everything you block quoted. No problem. I know what I posted, and so does everyone else. thumbs up

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
2.1.5  Freefaller  replied to  Jasper2529 @2.1.4    6 years ago

Cool

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
3  Dean Moriarty    6 years ago

I see opportunity building a motor powered by this new renewable energy source. 

Rmando
Sophomore Silent
4  Rmando    6 years ago

I've heard of flaming gay guys but this is ridiculous.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
5  katrix    6 years ago

I'm pretty sure that smoke isn't good for the environment.  He probably should have come up with a different idea.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  katrix @5    6 years ago

he could have used a gun but then the gun grabbers would have been upset

Drakkonis
Professor Guide
7  Drakkonis    6 years ago

There is nothing funny about this. This was a human being. My guess is he was feeling suicidal already and chose this method. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
7.1  TᵢG  replied to  Drakkonis @7    6 years ago

Agreed.   It is difficult to imagine an emotionally stable person purposely setting oneself on fire to 'send a message'.   

katrix
Sophomore Participates
7.1.1  katrix  replied to  TᵢG @7.1    6 years ago

Of all the ways I can think of dying, being on fire is one of the last I'd ever choose.  

Still, it is ironic that his death contributed to the very cause he's so against, so you can't be that surprised by the comments.  

TᵢG
Professor Principal
7.1.2  TᵢG  replied to  katrix @7.1.1    6 years ago

I had the same thought.   Seems like one of the worst ways to die.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
7.2  Gordy327  replied to  Drakkonis @7    6 years ago

Perhaps he took inspiration from Thích Quảng Đức, the Tibetan monk who self immolated as a protest to the Vietnamese persecution of Buddhists?