╌>

Actor R Lee Ermey Dead At 74

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  johnrussell  •  6 years ago  •  54 comments

Actor R Lee Ermey Dead At 74

R. Lee Ermey, 'Full Metal Jacket' Actor, Dead at 74

R. Lee Ermey, 'Full Metal Jacket' Actor, Dead at 74

Vietnam War gunnery sergeant turned scene-stealing drill instructor dies from complications from pneumonia R. Lee Ermey, the gunnery sergeant turned acto…

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    6 years ago

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @1    6 years ago

Ermey kinda reminds me of my DI, who actually carried a swagger stick. A few unpleasant and uncomfortable episodes, but all in all, those were some of the best years and times of my life. RIP Sarge!

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.1.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    6 years ago

I had one that not only carried a swagger stick, but it had notches in it.  I asked him what the notches were for and he told me "You don't want to know."  I am just lucky that I wasn't one of those notches.

RIP Drill Sergeant.  Your trainees were lucky to have you and so was Hollywood.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2  MrFrost    6 years ago

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! One of my all time favorite actors.. Damn that sucks. RIP Gunny. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3  TᵢG    6 years ago

Probably the best drill instructor actor ever.    Truly excellent.

TTGA
Professor Silent
3.1  TTGA  replied to  TᵢG @3    6 years ago

Even higher ranking than that TiG.  In the mini series Rough Riders, he played Secretary of State, John Hay.  Of course, a Marine might consider that to be a step downward from being a Drill Instructor.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Sparty On  replied to  TTGA @3.1    6 years ago

Little known details of his movie career.  

He was a military advisor for the movie Apocalypses Now.   Look for him as he had a bit part as a helo pilot in that movie as well.

Also he was good in a lesser known movie from the late 70's.   The Boys of Company C.   A pretty good movie.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
3.1.2  cjcold  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.1    6 years ago

Always liked his TV show Mail Call.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.3  Sparty On  replied to  cjcold @3.1.2    6 years ago

Yeah me to.  

Especially when he managed to worm his way behind the trigger of something that shot big and/or fast.

Like a kid in a candy store ...

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.1.4  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.1    6 years ago

Any time that he did a part that required him to wear Class A's, he refused to wear any ribbon on them that he had not personally been awarded.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.5  Sparty On  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3.1.4    6 years ago

Yeah, he was a damn squared away Marine.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
3.1.7  Raven Wing  replied to    6 years ago

My Brother was a Disabled Veteran of the Vietnam War, and I agree that movie was very well made.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3.1.8  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.1    6 years ago

Also 90% of his lines in Full Metal Jacket are ad lib.  

epistte
Junior Guide
3.1.9  epistte  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @3.1.8    6 years ago
Also 90% of his lines in Full Metal Jacket are ad lib.

In my first week at Parris Island, I was disappointed to learn that they don't talk to recruits that way. I was looking forward to it. The screaming when the DI got on the bus was the worst it got. 

The female DIs were stern but boring.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.1.10  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.5    6 years ago

My father was a MC DI.  He was before LE came along but would have loved knowing him.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3.1.11  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  epistte @3.1.9    6 years ago

When I went through Basic Training (I'm Army) in 1991 they still talked like that.  Any physical contact was forbidden but they came pretty close to it.  

epistte
Junior Guide
3.1.12  epistte  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @3.1.11    6 years ago

All we got was DIs in surround sound and extra PT. They didn't swear at us and we were never touched. As long as you didn't smile at them you were fairly safe. 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
3.1.13  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  epistte @3.1.12    6 years ago

We had tables, chairs, beds and equipment flying across the bay.  

epistte
Junior Guide
3.1.14  epistte  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @3.1.13    6 years ago

I only ever saw a trash can and parts of a footlocker get kicked across the squad bay.  It was quite tame compared to what was possible.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
3.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  TᵢG @3    6 years ago

GySgt Ermy was not a "drill instructor actor". He was a drill instructor in real life during his time in the Marine Corps. He based his acting on real life experiences as a Staff Sargent  drill instructor while on active duty! Respect, salute, and RIP Gunny. Semper Fi!

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.2.1  Sparty On  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @3.2    6 years ago

Yeah i tell people that the boot camp scenes in FMJ are about as close to real boot camp as one can get without actually going through it.

I find myself subconsciously bracing whenever i watch it.   I know a lot of Marines do.

zuksam
Junior Silent
3.2.2  zuksam  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @3.2    6 years ago
He was a drill instructor in real life during his time in the Marine Corps

I always imagined him going through his daily life yelling at everyone.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.2.3  TᵢG  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @3.2    6 years ago

I am aware of his life prior to acting.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
3.2.4  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  TᵢG @3.2.3    6 years ago

My apologies. Many people are not aware. My comment was not directed specifically so much to you but to people in general.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.2.5  TᵢG  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @3.2.4    6 years ago

No worries.   

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
3.2.6  Thrawn 31  replied to  Sparty On @3.2.1    6 years ago

I never saw it before I went to MCRD San Diego, so when I watched it after I got back I was laughing so hard during that entire section of the movie. I didn't realize how funny the insults and everything else was until that movie made me start to think about it. I honestly saw some of the funniest shit in my life in boot. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.2.7  Sparty On  replied to  Thrawn 31 @3.2.6    6 years ago
I honestly saw some of the funniest shit in my life in boot.

Me too, i was constantly cracking up from the shit the training cadre would come up with.   They however did not think it was funny, that i thought it was funny.

I got really good at four count push ups .....

MrFrost
Professor Expert
3.2.8  MrFrost  replied to  Sparty On @3.2.1    6 years ago
Yeah i tell people that the boot camp scenes in FMJ are about as close to real boot camp as one can get without actually going through it.

Exactly. The first 10 minutes of that movie always puts a big smile on my face....good times.

charger 383
Professor Silent
4  charger 383    6 years ago

Will be missed

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
5  arkpdx    6 years ago

Excellent Marine! Excellent American! Honorable  man! 

Simper First Gunny! You will be missed! 

luther28
Sophomore Silent
6  luther28    6 years ago

Brought reality to the role, that's for sure and certain.

JBB
Professor Principal
7  JBB    6 years ago

Even playing the baddest of badasses Ermey managed to maintain that good natured twinkle in his eye...

Randy
Sophomore Participates
8  Randy    6 years ago

All Basic Training was Psychological. Sure some branches had harder physical recruitment then others, but the true test was in the head. How well could you deal with a TI (or DI) screaming at you and calling you every name in the book with his nose 2 inches from yours and his breath in your mouth. Basic Training was a head game The physical part was actually fairly easy. If you just did for what you were told they built you up to do the next physical requirement. It was the head shit that they always you that they threw at you that they were looking for weakness in. Would you crack under pressure. They didn't give a fuck if you could do 50 push ups. What they cared about was did you flinch when the TI asked if it felt good when your mama sucked your dick. And did you answer "No Sir!" Not "She never did it!" or some such shit! Or when he asked if your sister's pussy was tight and you said "I don't know, Sir!" And you answered these questions with a perfectly straight face and at complete attention without moving a single muscle.  That's what they wanted more then how fast you could run a mile our how many push ups you could do. Fuck any moron could be taught to do those. Not any moron could be taught to do anything they are told to automatically, including kill, on command, But you were. That's what they really wanted. Basic Training change you into a different human being. Or changed into something that was not a human being.

RIP Bro!

epistte
Junior Guide
8.1  epistte  replied to  Randy @8    6 years ago

How well could you deal with a TI (or DI) screaming at you and calling you every name in the book with his nose 2 inches from yours and his breath in your mouth.

We referred to it as Sergeants in surround sound when there was one at each ear and one in your face. The worst thing that you can do is smile or laugh.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
9  Sparty On    6 years ago

RIP Brother .....

Semper Fi

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
11  Trout Giggles    6 years ago

Sir, RIP, Sir

T.Fargo
Freshman Silent
13  T.Fargo    6 years ago

RIP Gunny.

Kavika
Professor Principal
14  Kavika     6 years ago

14 months in country..

Semper Fi Gunny.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
15  seeder  JohnRussell    6 years ago

These are clips from "The Boys In Company C"

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
16  Thrawn 31    6 years ago

Man he was hilarious in that movie. I always tell everyone that if you want to know what boot is really like, don't bother watching the super sanitized documentaries they do from time to time, watch Full Metal Jacket. 

Rest well Gunny. 

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
17  1stwarrior    6 years ago

Pulled out my old MCRD San Diego "Graduation Book" for Platoon 392/'64 - didn't find him anywhere in the 3rd Battalion.  My two DI's, GySgt Jessup and SSgt Swancutt, musta gone through bootcamp with Gunny 'cause they said almost the same identical things during our "orientation".  If Jessup had been a little taller and hairier, he and Gunny woulda been twins.

RIP Gunny - Semper Fi.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
18  MrFrost    6 years ago

f4eeb0f86a65ad402eb180170e1ada4a.png

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
18.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  MrFrost @18    6 years ago

most excellent

thanks for the giggle