╌>

Melania Trump undergoes kidney surgery at Walter Reed medical center

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  spikegary  •  6 years ago  •  48 comments

Melania Trump undergoes kidney surgery at Walter Reed medical center

Source

First lady Melania Trump underwent kidney surgery Monday at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center near Washington, DC, according to a statement from her office.

Trump had been experiencing an issue with her kidney that her office described as benign but requiring medical attention.

"This morning, first lady Melania Trump underwent an embolization procedure to treat a benign kidney condition. The procedure was successful, and there were no complications," the first lady's communications director, Stephanie Grisham, said in a statement.

"Mrs. Trump is at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center and will likely remain there for the duration of the week. The first lady looks forward to a full recovery so she can continue her work on behalf of children everywhere," Grisham wrote.

President Donald Trump remained in the White House during Melania Trump's surgery. He tweeted just after 5 p.m. Monday that he was heading to hospital to visit his wife in Marine One.

"Heading over to Walter Reed Medical Center to see our great First Lady, Melania. Successful procedure, she is in good spirits. Thank you to all of the well-wishers!" Trump tweeted.

Trump, who turned 48 last month, had surgery at Walter Reed in nearby Bethesda, Maryland, on Monday morning.

She is the first US first lady to undergo such a serious medical procedure while in the White House since Nancy Reagan had a mastectomy in October 1987. Rosalynn Carter underwent surgery to remove a benign lump from her breast in April 1977. Weeks after Betty Ford became first lady, she was diagnosed with breast cancer and underwent a mastectomy in September 1974.

The first lady did not move to Washington until six months into the administration, choosing to let their son, Barron, finish the 2017 school year in New York. More recently, Melania Trump has had a more public profile. On April 24, she and the President hosted the first official state dinner of the Trump administration, an event that was planned and executed primarily by the first lady.

Trump was responsible for every aspect of the formal dinner in honor of French President Emmanuel Macron and his wife, Brigitte Macron, from the hand-selected ivory tablecloths to the menu, which the first lady designed to meld American food with French influence. During the welcome ceremony leading up to the dinner, Melania Trump stole headlines, wearing a crisp white Michael Kors Collection suit with a matching white hat, custom-made by her personal couturier. The hat set the internet ablaze, with references and comparisons to Beyoncé, the suffragette movement and even television character Olivia Pope of "Scandal."

On May 7, Trump, a relatively private first lady by comparison to her most recent predecessors, was once again front and center, this time to unveil her formal platform, Be Best. She kicked off the initiative with a Rose Garden speech lasting 11 minutes, the longest public speaking engagement during her 16-month tenure as first lady.

Be Best is a three-pronged platform with a focus on opioid addiction and families, general physical and emotional well-being of children, and kindness and safety for kids using social media. The latter caused a firestorm of controversy because it encompasses cyberbullying, a tactic that Melania Trump's husband, the President, has often been accused of fueling. In March, the first lady addressed the criticism she has faced by taking up the issue during opening remarks to a meeting she convened at the White House for tech industry leaders from Google, Snap, Twitter, Facebook, Amazon and others.

"I am well-aware that people are skeptical of me discussing this topic," she said. "I have been criticized for my commitment to tackling this issue, and I know that will continue. But it will not stop me from doing what I know is right."

Melania Trump has also appeared with her husband several times in recent weeks. He was seated in the front row during her Be Best speech, after which he made remarks praising her commitment to helping children, and he was again second to speak, after his wife, during the Military Mothers and Spouses Ceremony on Friday in the White House East Room.

"She's become a very, very popular first lady. I'm reading that ... They love Melania," the President said. A new CNN poll released May 7 had the first lady's favorable rating up 10 points since January to 57%.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
1  seeder  Spikegary    6 years ago

Best wishes for a speedy recovery for our first lady.  Surgery is never fun, I hope it relieves the issues and she's back on her feet quickly.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2  Tessylo    6 years ago

All the best to Melania.  

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
2.1  lennylynx  replied to  Tessylo @2    6 years ago

Wishing Melania a full recovery and a new husband!

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
2.1.1  seeder  Spikegary  replied to  lennylynx @2.1    6 years ago

The first part of your comment was nice, the 2nd part silly.  I find it sad that people spend so much time with the 'yeah, buts' instead of just being positive for once.  And no, the 2nd part was not positive.

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
2.1.2  lennylynx  replied to  Spikegary @2.1.1    6 years ago

I disagree, in fact, I think the second part was even more positive than the first.  I would feel empathy for any woman married to a scumbag piece of shit like Trump.

JBB
Professor Principal
3  JBB    6 years ago

I along with all compassionate Americans wish our First Lay a speedy recovery. "Bless Her Heart"...

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
3.1  Jasper2529  replied to  JBB @3    6 years ago
"Bless Her Heart"...

Duly noted and not unexpected.

Translation:

The most Southern 'fuck you' there is. Can be put at the end of a  phrase  to  nullify any  cruelty .

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
3.2  MonsterMash  replied to  JBB @3    6 years ago

Here come the haters. Bless their hearts

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
4  magnoliaave    6 years ago

Really pleased she is doing well.  I really like her. 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
5  Jasper2529    6 years ago

Very glad that Mrs. Trump is recuperating well. She has brought elegance and class back to the White House.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
5.1  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Jasper2529 @5    6 years ago

(Off topic per seeder) Telo

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
5.1.1  magnoliaave  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @5.1    6 years ago

Was that necessary?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @5.1    6 years ago

You seem fixated on those pictures. I wonder why.............................

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
5.1.3  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  magnoliaave @5.1.1    6 years ago

I really doubt that it was necessary for Melania to take as many nude photos (looking like a strung out whore by the way) as she did.  Is that what you meant?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.4  Tessylo  replied to  magnoliaave @5.1.1    6 years ago
was that necessary?

'She has brought elegance and class back to the White House.'

Was this necessary?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.1.5  Trout Giggles  replied to  Tessylo @5.1.4    6 years ago

nope. It just makes an other wise nice thread contentious

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
5.1.6  seeder  Spikegary  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.1.5    6 years ago

Thank you, TG.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.1.7  Trout Giggles  replied to  Spikegary @5.1.6    6 years ago

It is a nice thread. The First Lady deserves our sympathy while she's lying in a hospital, not our scorn.

Hospitals suck

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.2  Tessylo  replied to  Jasper2529 @5    6 years ago
'She has brought elegance and class back to the White House.'

i certainly wish her well but when did elegance and class leave the White House?  

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
5.2.1  arkpdx  replied to  Tessylo @5.2    6 years ago
when did elegance and class leave the White House? 

January 20, 2009. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
5.2.2  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  arkpdx @5.2.1    6 years ago

Seeder Flagged Off Topic "BF

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6  Trout Giggles    6 years ago

Best Wishes, Mrs Trump. I hope the food is good at Walter Reed

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
6.1  seeder  Spikegary  replied to  Trout Giggles @6    6 years ago

It's a military hospital, so I'm going with......NOT.  LOL.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Spikegary @6.1    6 years ago

LOL! Is Walter Reed an Army hospital? They tend to have better chow

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
6.1.2  seeder  Spikegary  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.1.1    6 years ago

The Army and Marines used to come to our chow hall on Kadena AB, Okinawa all the time as our chow halls had more choices and generally better food......not sure if that has changed.....

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Spikegary @6.1.2    6 years ago

I'm a very picky eater and I blame my sainted mother for that. She was a damn good cook. Anyway....

....I lost over 20 pounds in basic because I hated the food and was too stressed to eat. Everybody around me is gaining weight, but the pounds are falling off of me. My TI asks me what's wrong with the food and I told him it's not mom-made

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.1.3    6 years ago

I've never really been in a mess hall that makes excellent chow. There are mess halls that make edible and even tasty chow, but not something I want to eat every day

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6.1.5  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.1.4    6 years ago

I served 23 years in the Army and I found, with one exception, that the food was actually pretty good in the mess halls.  I have some funny stories about mess halls but that is for another time.  Get well soon Mrs Trump.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
6.1.6  Freefaller  replied to  Spikegary @6.1    6 years ago

I'm sure as a VIP she is neither eating hospital or army food.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
6.1.7  seeder  Spikegary  replied to  Freefaller @6.1.6    6 years ago

Seeing the type of person she is, if she has a white house chef making her food, she is likely sharing it with the other patients in the building.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1.8  Trout Giggles  replied to  Spikegary @6.1.7    6 years ago

I doubt if she eats that much. She doesn't look like she does.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
6.1.9  Freefaller  replied to  Spikegary @6.1.7    6 years ago

Meh maybe, maybe not.  It's unlikely we'll ever know.

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
6.1.10  MonsterMash  replied to  Spikegary @6.1.2    6 years ago

When I was in the Air Force ( 1966-1970) the food was pretty darn good with many choices at each meal. My only complaint was there were no seconds on steak day.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.1.11  Sparty On  replied to  MonsterMash @6.1.10    6 years ago

Yeah i never thought it was that bad either.   It was all like Filet Mignon when compared to C-rats.    

Many of the chow halls i ate at had eggs to order on weekends if you could get there early enough and were willing to wait.  

I loved getting that little treat when i could.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
7  seeder  Spikegary    6 years ago

In response to 5.1.1, it wasn't, it is a typically classless comment.  Has been flagged as 'Off Topic'.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Spikegary @7    6 years ago
She has brought elegance and class back to the White House.

Why didn't you criticize that comment as being unnecessary and off topic? It is a direct shot at Michelle Obama. 

You are always ready to criticize people for being snarky, unless and until it comes from your side. And, yes you have a side and it is obvious. 

Explorerdog
Freshman Silent
7.1.1  Explorerdog  replied to  JohnRussell @7.1    6 years ago

Seeder flagged for Off Topic "BF"

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
7.1.2  seeder  Spikegary  replied to  JohnRussell @7.1    6 years ago

As you aren't the Newstalkers Referee, post comments on topic or don't post at all.  Got it?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7.1.3  JohnRussell  replied to  Spikegary @7.1.2    6 years ago

I asked a simple question as to why you are so selective in who you choose to criticize. 

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
7.1.4  MonsterMash  replied to  JohnRussell @7.1    6 years ago

"And, yes you have a side and it is obvious"

John, it's obvious you have a side you flag comments on your articles for no other reason than you don't like them.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7.1.5  JohnRussell  replied to  MonsterMash @7.1.4    6 years ago

I hardly ever flag comments. Ask Perrie. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1.6  Texan1211  replied to  MonsterMash @7.1.4    6 years ago

True!

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
7.2  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Spikegary @7    6 years ago

Seeder Flagged Off topic "BF"

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
7.2.1  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @7.2    6 years ago

Author called off topic {SP}

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.2.3  Texan1211  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @7.2.1    6 years ago

Removed for context

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8  Tessylo    6 years ago

Author called Off Topic {SP}

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
9  Hal A. Lujah    6 years ago

Yep, there's a little puffiness in the kidney area.  Good thing she had that looked at.  Class and elegance on full display.

mt.jpg