╌>

Man Killed By Exploding E-Cigarette

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  johnrussell  •  6 years ago  •  14 comments

Man Killed By Exploding E-Cigarette

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2018/05/16/Exploding-e-cigarette-kills-Florida-man-first-case-in-US/7611526490795/

May 16 (UPI) -- An exploding e-cigarette caused the death of a 38-year-old St. Petersburg, Fla., man earlier this year, a medical examiner's report said, the first confirmed death to be blamed on the device in the United States.

The Pinellas County medical examiner said Tallmadge "Wake" D'Elia died May 5 when a Smok-E Mountain Mech Works e-cigarette acted as a projectile and penetrated his skull and brain. The office ruled his death accidental.

Exploding-e-cigarette-kills-Florida-man-

A medical examiner said the man's e-cigarette exploded and acted as a projectile, entering his skull and brain. File Photo by lindsayfox/Pixabay

The vape pen exploded, causing a fire in his home and burning at least 45 percent of his body.

FEMA records indicate D'Elia's was the first death in the United States to be caused by e-cigarettes.

The type of vape pen D'Elia used is described online as not having any safety features.

Gary Wilder, owner of Lizard Juice, a vaping store, told WFTS-TV in Tampa Bay that he doesn't sell the brand, which he described as "unregulated" because they can overheat.

"Any other e-cig that has a computer chip in it prevents that from happening," he said.

Smok-E Mountain, the company that made the pen D'Elia used, said it doesn't believe their device was to blame and instead pointed the finger at the atomizer -- the part that goes in a person's mouth -- or the battery.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    6 years ago

They always say smoking will kill you. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2  Trout Giggles    6 years ago

That's why I stick with old-fashioned cancer sticks

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
2.1  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Trout Giggles @2    6 years ago
That's why I stick with old-fashioned cancer sticks

............. No Thanks  old fashion cigarettes cause old fashion cancer, cost a fortune and stink like crap, cause burn holes and ruin your taste and smell.

I switched years ago to e-ciggs and soon after my energy increased, my breathing, smell, taste and stamina did as well. My home, car and cloths no longer smell like an ashtray and I'm sure I've added not only years to my life but a small fortune to my bank account as well. 

I will not go back to those damn regular death sticks, I know I can find a cheaper, quicker, less painful way to kill myself if I so desire. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @2.1    6 years ago

I'm happy for you.

I tried e-cigs but couldn't find satisfaction with them.

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
2.1.2  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Trout Giggles @2.1.1    6 years ago
I tried e-cigs but couldn't find satisfaction with them.

That's too bad. Research and get a good one. thay are worth it. ...........

When i decided to try the E-cigg someone recommended to me to do some research and get a good one to try to begin with, I did and never looked back.

I have never had another regular cigarettes since the day I bought a good e-cigg. The original company I went with is no longer available so I re researched and found another good company about a year ago to buy my e-ciggs and liquid from. 

PS: I dont plan on ever smoking a regular cigarette the rest of my life. There are many cheaper ways to die. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  seeder  JohnRussell    6 years ago

FEMA records indicate D'Elia's was the first death in the United States to be caused by e-cigarettes.

Who knew this habit falls under the purview of FEMA ? 

Explorerdog
Freshman Silent
4  Explorerdog    6 years ago

I seriously wonder what was loaded into it as that would be quite the pop from vaporizer liquid. Bigger problem is that kids like the smell unlike cigarettes and that will make vaping more attractive, next thing will be candy vapes for kids like the candy cigs of yesteryear. 

DRHunk
Freshman Silent
4.1  DRHunk  replied to  Explorerdog @4    6 years ago

Candy Vapes are the only thing you can buy besides 2-3 "Tobacco" variances.  Everything else has some sugary sweet base with all the flavors you can imagine.

Fireryone
Freshman Silent
4.2  Fireryone  replied to  Explorerdog @4    6 years ago

I doubt that the contents had anything to do with what happened.  E-liquid is heated to the boiling point not to the flash point.  The explosion likely came from the battery and the atomizer was the projectile.  

Most vapes are candy, baked goods, fruit flavors and/or breakfast foods like waffles.  There will likely never be any government control that eliminates flavoring from e-liquids.  E-liquids are easy to mix and uses food flavoring that can be purchased anywhere.

Exploding batteries are rare, but they do happen.  I have not personally had the problem.  I have a whole range of devices and even a mechanical mod, like what the guy was using.  You have to know what you're doing and how to care for the batteries.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
5  Larry Hampton    6 years ago

The atomizer is not the part that goes in a person's mouth. The writer has no clue what they are talking about.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
5.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Larry Hampton @5    6 years ago

Noting unusual about that. It is obvious from the beginning that the person who wrote this knows nothing about what they talking about.

Fireryone
Freshman Silent
5.2  Fireryone  replied to  Larry Hampton @5    6 years ago

If he has the same type atomizer that I have on my mech mod, the top of the atomizer could be the projectile.  But it's large and I imagine it took a great deal of force to penetrate the skull.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
5.2.1  Larry Hampton  replied to  Fireryone @5.2    6 years ago

The description of the device leads me to believe it was a mech. Folks who are unfamiliar with vaping shouldn't start out with a mechanical; makes me wonder if that was the case here. Either way, for it to explode and send a piece through the noggin' is pretty dang freaky.

BTW, sounds as if we have a couple or so vapers here on the forum...sweet!

Would any members care for a vape group here on the NT'ers?

:~)