╌>

Donald Trump: ‘May God Be with the Victims’ of Texas School Shooting

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  heartland-american  •  6 years ago  •  51 comments

Donald Trump: ‘May God Be with the Victims’ of Texas School Shooting

“May God heal the injured, and may God comfort the wounded and may God be with the victims and with the victim’s families,” the president said. “Very sad day, very very sad.”

The Houston Chronicle reported that at least eight victims were killed in the shooting.

“This has been going on too long in our country, too many years, too many decades now,” Trump said.

He expressed his sadness about the frequency of mass shootings, promising that the government would continue working to stop such events.

“Everyone must work together at every level of government to keep our children safe,” Trump said.

The White House said that Trump spoke with Texas Gov. Greg Abbott to offer his condolences to those affected by the shooting at Santa Fe High School and to offer his assistance.

Trump sent a personal message to the victims and their families.

“We grieve for the terrible loss of life and send our support and love to everyone affected by this absolutely horrific attack,” he said. “To the students, families, teachers, and personnel at Santa Fe High, we’re with you at this tragic hour.”

Trump made his remarks at the White House on Friday ahead of a speech on prison reform.

Earlier Friday, he reacted to the news on Twitter.

“School shooting in Texas,” the president wrote. “Early reports not looking good. God bless all!”

The Haris County Sheriff Ed Gonzales revealed on Twitter that two people were in custody after the shooting and one police officer was injured.   http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2018/05/18/donald-trump-god-bless-victims-of-texas-school-shooting/

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1  seeder  XXJefferson51    6 years ago

Unfortunately, I have to begin by expressing our sadness and heartbreak over the deadly shooting at Santa Fe High School in Texas that took place moments ago. We’re closely monitoring the situation and federal authorities are coordinating with local officials. This has been going on too long in our country. Too many years, too many decades now.

We grieve for the terrible loss of life and send our support and love to everyone affected by this absolutely horrific attack to the students, families, teachers and personnel at Santa Fe High. We’re with you in this tragic hour, and we will be with you forever.

My administration is determined to do everything in our power to protect our students, secure our schools, and keep weapons out of the hands of those who pose a threat to themselves and to others. Everyone must work together at every level of government to keep our children safe. May God heal the injured and may God comfort the wounded, and may God be with the victims and with the victims’ families. A very sad day, very, very sad.   https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vox.com/platform/amp/latest-news/2018/5/18/17368758/santa-fe-tx-school-shooting-trump-statement-transcript

luther28
Sophomore Silent
2  luther28    6 years ago

“May God heal the injured, and may God comfort the wounded and may God be with the victims and with the victim’s families,” the president said. “Very sad day, very very sad.”

What is truly sad is the lack of action by Congress.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
2.1  Snuffy  replied to  luther28 @2    6 years ago
What is truly sad is the lack of action by Congress.

So what would you have them do?  Congress can only pass budgets and create laws.  Murder is already against the law but that law didn't prevent this. None of the "common sense" gun laws ever proposed would have stopped this. To be honest when it comes to gun control,  the only "common sense" solution to prevent this would be to ban ALL guns and immediately go door to door to confiscate them. Do you really think something like that could work??   good luck with that.

This problem has been growing for the past 50 years and getting worse every year. There is no one thing to point to as a trigger for the problem,  it has multiple facets. But like most of these events, there will be a couple of weeks of speeches blaming something and then it will be pushed out of the news cycle. You want to make a difference,  work at the local level to harden schools and public areas. Schools need a single entry point, monitored entrance, metal detectors, lockable hardened class rooms and trained staff having access to guns.  Yes,  teachers who are willing and trained should have access to guns as an absolute last line of defense. But this costs time and money so it won't be done. It's much easier to just bitch and moan and blame someone else.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
2.1.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  Snuffy @2.1    6 years ago
None of the "common sense" gun laws ever proposed would have stopped this.

I have said before, enact a ban of ALL semi automatic and automatic  weapons. Across the board, and yes I know what the term semi-automatic means. And enact strict laws determining who can and cannot own a firearm. 

Snuffy
Professor Participates
2.1.2  Snuffy  replied to  Thrawn 31 @2.1.1    6 years ago

Is that a ban on only new sales or a total ban on sales and possession?  Most of the proposed laws around banning the AR-15 for example only ban the sale of new but grandfather possession if you already own one. As there are an estimated 15 million AR-15's out there just banning the sale of new is not going to make much of a dent.

And as I also stated above,  this type of ban of yours even if it is a total ban on sales and possession would not have prevented this incident. He didn't use a semi-automatic weapon.

As the vast majority of gun owners are responsible,  I do not agree with a total ban on sales and possession. That's no different than banning all cars because some people drink and drive. Hold the individual accountable. Work to harden the sites and while that is being done also work to increase the counseling of all students, provide more staff so that teachers and counselors are not having to work with 100's of students and not have sufficient time for any of them,  and add in mandatory gun safety training starting at first grade. Turning to congress to pass another law is a waste of time because laws are not going to change this. We need to work with the local government and school boards to put a dent in this problem.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  Snuffy @2.1.2    6 years ago

They would all have to be grandfathered in, too, because no one is trying to take your guns away!!

or so goes the story from the left.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
2.1.5  Thrawn 31  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @2.1.4    6 years ago

Single shot firearms are fine, just everything else.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
2.1.6  Thrawn 31  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.3    6 years ago

Nope, no grandfathering.

because no one is trying to take your guns away!!

Was it not obvious that that is exactly what I am advocating? 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.7  Texan1211  replied to  Thrawn 31 @2.1.6    6 years ago

Just shocked that SOMEONE on the left FINALLY admitted that it is all about taking guns away from legally-owning, law-abiding citizens.

We have known it all along, despite the cries from the left that "No one is trying to take your guns away".

Now the real truth has been ADMITTED.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
2.1.8  Snuffy  replied to  Thrawn 31 @2.1.6    6 years ago

I don't think that would pass a constitutional challenge and would be overturned by the courts. IMO the only way you are gonna get that to go thru would be to amend the constitution and revoke the 2nd. And to be honest if we cannot keep illegal drugs out of the country I don't see  how that would keep guns out of the country. Which is why I go back to the original point which is that we need to change how we look at this issue and what we can try to do. A better and faster result I believe would be to harden schools and make it much more difficult for the violent offender from even getting in. Change the educational process to increase critical thinking and compassion in our youth. Increase the numbers of teachers, counselors and staff to increase the possibility of adults interacting with more children.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
2.1.10  Thrawn 31  replied to  Snuffy @2.1.8    6 years ago
I don't think that would pass a constitutional challenge and would be overturned by the courts.

Maybe maybe not, either way I think an amendment would be necessary. 

And to be honest if we cannot keep illegal drugs out of the country I don't see  how that would keep guns out of the country.

Two totally different animals.

Which is why I go back to the original point which is that we need to change how we look at this issue and what we can try to do.

Yeah, like maybe see what other advanced nations who don't have this problem have done.

A better and faster result I believe would be to harden schools and make it much more difficult for the violent offender from even getting in.

Addressing the symptoms and not the problem in other words.

Change the educational process to increase critical thinking and compassion in our youth. Increase the numbers of teachers, counselors and staff to increase the possibility of adults interacting with more children.

So raise taxes? 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
2.1.11  Thrawn 31  replied to  Snuffy @2.1.8    6 years ago

Oh, and there is this.

Gov. Greg Abbott of Texas said two police officers had been on the campus at the time at the attack — as envisioned by the school’s safety plan — and that they were “able to confront the shooter early on in the process.”

10 are still dead.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
2.1.12  Thrawn 31  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.7    6 years ago

I represent me, no one else. It has been no secret that i don't give a fuck about the second amendment and do not think you should be allowed to own 98% of the firearms out there. Not sure why you are shocked, it has been my expressed position (even here) for some time. 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
2.1.13  Thrawn 31  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @2.1.9    6 years ago
That's just a cover up.  We know it and you know it.

What? 

Snuffy
Professor Participates
2.1.14  Snuffy  replied to  Thrawn 31 @2.1.11    6 years ago

And how large is the campus and how many entrances are open on the campus?  Two guards for a campus that size without having a single point of entry? That's no different than the comments after Columbine where people complained about the armed security guard not preventing the loss of life but ignoring the fact that the armed guard was assigned to patrol the parking lot and was no where near the school when it happened.

If you cannot control access to the school then you cannot hope to prevent this from occurring again. There are many facets to why this issue is occurring more frequently and like so many on the left you want to focus on only one facet. I understand your anger and frustration but I do not believe that what you propose will make any difference in the underlying problem.

But I do fully expect that we will go thru a couple of weeks of speeches and arguments before this moves out of the news cycle. And there will be another event down the road and we will continue this cycle where nothing gets done.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
2.1.15  arkpdx  replied to  Thrawn 31 @2.1.11    6 years ago

I wonder if one of the teachers would have been armed and trained how many fewer casualties there might have been. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.16  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Thrawn 31 @2.1.1    6 years ago

Wasn’t it a shotgun and a pistol that was used in this incident? 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.17  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1.16    6 years ago

And the pistol was a revolver not a semi auto weapon.  

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
2.1.18  dave-2693993  replied to  Thrawn 31 @2.1.10    6 years ago
Addressing the symptoms and not the problem in other words.

Agreed. What has changed since I was a high school student and could walk through the halls of my school to target practice with a rifle slung over my shoulder and these incidents were not in the news?

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
2.1.19  dave-2693993  replied to  Thrawn 31 @2.1.5    6 years ago
Single shot firearms are fine, just everything else.

What in your line of thought qualifies single shot firearms as being fine, while everything else is not?

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.20  Ozzwald  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.7    6 years ago
Just shocked that SOMEONE on the left FINALLY admitted that it is all about taking guns away from legally-owning, law-abiding citizens.

Would you be as shocked if someone on the right advocated taking away your guns?  What if it were a Republican President???

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.21  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Thrawn 31 @2.1.11    6 years ago

True.  But they made a horrible situation less horrible than it might have been.  Also the shooter used a revolver and a shotgun.  No semi auto pistol or rifle.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.22  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.20    6 years ago

Yeah, I don't like anyone trying to limit my rights. 

Is that really so hard to understand?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.23  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.22    6 years ago

Not at all.  Well and clearly stated.  thumbs up

DRHunk
Freshman Silent
2.2  DRHunk  replied to  luther28 @2    6 years ago

What is sad is why does he think God gives a shit about the victims and their families now, he wasn't there to stop it from occurring, why would he be there after it occurred?

Ridiculous hyperbole.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
3  Thrawn 31    6 years ago
“May God heal the injured, and may God comfort the wounded and may God be with the victims and with the victim’s families,”

Because we sure as shit know the US government isn't. Lol, these things and the reactions really are just comical at this point. Honestly, 10 dead almost isn't even worth reporting these days. This is what, like the 28th shooting at a school in the first 5 months of the year? And as a society we have done....... not a thing. I told my mom last night when she mentioned this that I just don't care. When the country decides to get serious about addressing our epidemic of firearm related homicide (and it is) then I will be more than happy to actively engage in a conversation, but every time I read a statement like this it tells me that we are nowhere close to being serious about it. Every time I read or hear some thoughts and prayers bullshit it tells me we are nowhere close. Every time this happens and we collectively take zero action, I know that we are nowhere close. So sorry to the dead and wounded, it was all for naught. 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
4  Thrawn 31    6 years ago

I have never suggested I speak for anyone other than myself. And in my opinion the evidence that the country in general doesn't give a shit about the mass murder of its children is overwhelming. 

Phoenyx13
Sophomore Silent
5  Phoenyx13    6 years ago

“May God heal the injured, and may God comfort the wounded and may God be with the victims and with the victim’s families,” the president said.

why wasn't God around to prevent the shooting in the first place ?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Phoenyx13 @5    6 years ago

All humans have a free will choice between doing good and doing evil.  The experiment with sin and Satan’s rebellion are still ongoing in this world and as long as it is until the 2nd coming, good people will be impacted and even die due to the actions of bad people.  Bad people yielding to sin and the evil one does not make God less good.  A lot of good Christians around the world are being persecuted and even martyred by evil as we speak.  

Phoenyx13
Sophomore Silent
5.1.1  Phoenyx13  replied to  XXJefferson51 @5.1    6 years ago
All humans have a free will choice between doing good and doing evil.  The experiment with sin and Satan’s rebellion are still ongoing in this world and as long as it is until the 2nd coming, good people will be impacted and even die due to the actions of bad people.  Bad people yielding to sin and the evil one does not make God less good.  A lot of good Christians around the world are being persecuted and even martyred by evil as we speak.

interesting... we are supposedly God's "children" - tell me, would you let your child be willingly massacred or would you stop it (assuming you had the ability to do so as God does) ?

what is this "experiment" you are speaking of concerning "sin" and "Satan's rebellion" ?

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
5.2  Ozzwald  replied to  Phoenyx13 @5    6 years ago
why wasn't God around to prevent the shooting in the first place ?

It's worse than that.  Based on Christian beliefs, being omniscient, God either condoned or even encouraged it.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.2.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Ozzwald @5.2    6 years ago

No He didn’t.  Humans have free will.  Some do evil acts.  Some of the evil acts have bad impacts on good people.  God is not responsible for acts created by people who oppose Him and act accordingly to the wishes of the evil one who is fighting what will ultimately be a losing battle for dominion over this earth.