╌>

Renames

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  johnrussell  •  6 years ago  •  18 comments

Renames

Beitar Jerusalem fans cheer

Israel soccer team renames itself Beitar Trump Jerusalem ...

Business Insider 6 days ago

Israeli soccer team Beitar Jerusalem is renaming itself to honour President Donald Trump. The team wants to recognise Trump's decision to regard Jerusalem as the capital of Israel . They now want to be known as Beitar Trump Jerusalem . The team has a controversial fanbase called La Familia, who call ...

======================================================================================================

https://www.thenation.com/article/israels-most-racist-soccer-club-renames-itself-after-donald-trump/

Jerusalem’s most successful soccer team, Beitar Jerusalem, has announced—in celebration of the US embassy relocation to Jerusalem and assumedly in triumph following the 60 Palestinians in Gaza who were massacred protesting the move—that they are now naming themselves after Donald Trump. In a message posted on their Facebook page, the soccer club wrote, “For 70 years has Jerusalem been awaiting international recognition, until President Donald Trump, in a courageous move, recognized Jerusalem as the eternal capital of Israel.”

If there were ever two entities that deserve one another, it is Beitar Jerusalem and Donald Trump. Just as Trump has a forty-five year documented past of racism, the latest chapter being his statement that undocumented immigrants are “animals” (no, he wasn’t just referring to MS-13), Beitar Jerusalem shares a similar history and similar rhetoric. They are known internationally less for their on field success than their anti-Arab and anti-Muslim hiring practices and fan supporters who engage in racist violence.

It was in the 1990s when this club, whose supporters had always rooted themselves in the hard right, anti-Arab, anti-Muslim politics of “revisionism”, formed ”hooligan” clubs modeled after the violent skinhead soccer fan formations in Western Europe. (Their admiration for groups that were openly sympathetic to Nazi tells a story all its own.)

It was also in the 1990s when the these “fan clubs” particularly the one most known for racist violence, called La Familia, adopted the slogan and chant, “Death to the Arabs.” Their abuse of Arabs and Muslims was not confined to players on other teams. The club signed black, Muslim Nigerian defender Ibrahim Ndala in 2004. As Samirian Mishra wrote on the Football in Paradise blog, Ndala “left the club after just five games because of the torrent of abuse he received from his own fans.”

Mishra quotes Ndala saying,

I left Betar because the fans abused me…It was a bitter experience for me. They sang to me ‘son of a bitch,’ ‘Arab, go home.’ In Nigeria, I did not experience this kind of behaviour in my life, and it happened to me only in Beitar, and from the country, I came from, the rivalry was neither political nor ethnic, and because I was a Muslim I could not play Beitar.

When the team in 2013, signed two Muslim players, Zaur Sadayev and Dzhabrail Kadiyev, their “fans” set fire to a team office and Sadayev was met with boos and fan walk-outs when he scored a goal. When a fan favorite, captain and goalkeeper Ariel Harush, put his arm around Sadayev and Kadiyev on the field, in a show of support, he became an object of scorn. When Harush spoke out against racism and posted messages of solidarity toward Sadayev and Kadiyev, he was threatened with violence. This continued for several years, Harush booed every time he touched the ball. Both Muslim players left after the end of the season. Harush eventually was driven from the team as well.

Fans also chanted anti-Arab chants at Naala, Sadayev, and Kadiyev, which was bizarre since none were Arab and the club refuses to sign Arab players. This is why Newsweek wrote about the team with the sub-headline, “Jerusalem’s favorite football team has hiring policies reminiscent of Apartheid and Jim Crow.”

Then there was the infamous moment in March of 2012 when hundreds of Beitar “fans” rushed a West Jerusalem mall, chanting “Death to Arabs”, and assaulted the Palestinian custodians who were there to clean up their trash. Mohammed Yusef, one of the cleaners called it “a mass lynching attempt.” The headline in Haaretz was, “Hundreds of Beitar Jerusalem fans beat up Arab workers in mall; no arrests.”

This is the team now named after the President of the United States of America. I reached out to Human Rights attorney and Assistant Professor at George Mason University Noura Erakat for her response to the conjoining of Beitar Jerusalem and Donald Trump. She said,

“I think it’s quite fitting for a racist soccer team to give homage to a man who encapsulates what Israel has embodied under the cover of liberalism, namely a self-righteous and violent goal of establishing a racial and religious supremacy. This is not just about his embassy move, this is about a shared- and destructive – vision for the world.”

We have seen in other countries the ways that soccer fan clubs can easily become shock troops of ethnic cleansing. This is Beitar Jerusalem, and they are being further inspiration from the actions and rhetoric of the President of the United States. They deserve each other, but neither the Palestinian people nor the people of this country deserve either of them,

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    6 years ago

As they say, you can't make this shit up. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @1    6 years ago
As they say, you can't make this shit up.

Oh come on JR, you prepare a fresh batch every day!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2  Buzz of the Orient    6 years ago

You're lucky, John. It's much easier for you to find Israel-bashing articles these days than for me to find pro-Israel ones. Keep it up cause perhaps it will make Israel appear to be the uderdog, and then your brethren left wingers might change horses. After all, they already did once, but that was decades ago.  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2    6 years ago

I am pro-Israel. Unlike you though, I understand that there is racism in Israel. 

Donald Trump should be embarrassed that a 'racist' soccer club changed it's name to include his name in their title. Of course he isn't, but he should be. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1    6 years ago

I suspend that Trump doesn't know about it or care...too busy taking care of the business of the people.

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
2.1.2  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Greg Jones @2.1.1    6 years ago
I suspend that Trump doesn't know about it or care...too busy taking care of the business of the people.

Perhaps he should care after all he is our representative. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1    6 years ago

I guess we can't expect you to post the articles about the European Soccer teams and their fans that practise out-and-out anti-Semitism.  That would show you're neutral.  So don't plead that you're pro-Israel, when you only choose to post anti-Israel articles.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.2  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2    6 years ago

By the way, I don't see any shortage of pro-Israel stories in the media.

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
2.2.1  magnoliaave  replied to  JohnRussell @2.2    6 years ago

Why would there be ......it is the liberal media!

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.2.2  Greg Jones  replied to  magnoliaave @2.2.1    6 years ago

Yep, and most of them are strongly anti-Semetic and are strong supporters of Hamas and other terrorist groups.

JBB
Professor Principal
2.2.3  JBB  replied to  Greg Jones @2.2.2    6 years ago

That is one load of USDA certified bullshit. American MSM is almost exclusively pro-Israel which does not equal being all in with Bennie Netanyahu and his ultra conservative Likud Party. Like American public opinion Jewish public opinion is varied. If anything the mainstream media in the US has historically been criticized, mostly unfairly in my opine, for being top heavy regarding Jewish management and ownership...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.2.4  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JBB @2.2.3    6 years ago
"American MSM is almost exclusively pro-Israel"

laughinghystericallyclipart1.jpg

I guess you ignored this:

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
2.3  Jasper2529  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2    6 years ago

I find it stunning that Americans on the far left have forgotten 9/11/2001 and have become such staunch supporters of Islamist Hamas terrorists. Perhaps the pro-Hamas MSM and newspapers don't tell them that of the 60 Palestinians recently killed, 50 were Hamas members, and among the 50 were babies and children used as human shields and were specifically placed in the front rows of Hamas' violence.

And, the MSM called what the Palestinians did "protests". Gee, I never saw "peaceful protesters" using Molotov cocktails and rocks!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.3.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Jasper2529 @2.3    6 years ago

This article is about a racist Israeli soccer club renaming it's organization in honor of Donald Trump. If you want to start an article about Hamas, do so with your own seeds. 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
2.3.2  Jasper2529  replied to  JohnRussell @2.3.1    6 years ago
This article is about a racist Israeli soccer club renaming it's organization in honor of Donald Trump. If you want to start an article about Hamas, do so with your own seeds.

Your seed is clearly critical of an Israeli soccer team and is pro-Palestinian/Hamas. Please allow me to refresh your memory from your own source:

Jerusalem’s most successful soccer team, Beitar Jerusalem, has announced—in celebration of the US embassy relocation to Jerusalem and assumedly in triumph following the 60 Palestinians in Gaza who were massacred protesting the move 

One more thing, John. At issue are two different nationalities and religions/ethnicites ... not race.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.3.3  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Jasper2529 @2.3.2    6 years ago

The soccer club was racist long before last Monday. The seed is not about Hamas. 

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
3  1ofmany    6 years ago

Recognizing Jerusalem as the capital of Israel is a recipe for endless conflict not peace. And, as long as there’s no peace, Israel will keep all it can take. This is a very simple strategy for Israel to roll over the Palestinians and both sides know it. It will fuel terrorism and we’re making ourselves targets for nothing. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
3.1  Raven Wing  replied to  1ofmany @3    6 years ago
It will fuel terrorism and we’re making ourselves targets for nothing.

Exactly. Very true. Well said. thumbs up