╌>

TEXAS GOP CANDIDATE'S TRUST FUND PAID HIS CHILDREN TO MARRY SOMEONE WHITE

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  johnrussell  •  6 years ago  •  181 comments

http://www.newsweek.com/texas-gop-candidate-set-trust-fund-paid-his-kids-marrying-someone-white-935712

A Texas Republican running for Dallas County Commissioner encouraged his children to marry someone of the same race by rewarding them with cash incentives.

Vickers (Vic) Cunningham admitted he bribed his children with money to make sure they married someone he approved of, which included being a member of the opposite sex who was white.

“I strongly support traditional family values,” Cunningham told The Dallas Morning News .

“If you marry a person of the opposite sex that’s Caucasian, that’s Christian, they will get a distribution,” he said of the “trust” he set up for his children.

“There are milestones set out in the trust. The milestone is, you get a distribution if you get an advanced degree. Milestone, if you run for public office. When you turn 35, 40, 45, you get a distribution. The same thing… when you get married,” he added. “It’s my religious belief that marriage is between one man and one woman.”

Following the interview, The Dallas Morning News announced it was pulling its support for Cunningham, which it had previously backed for the Precinct 2 Seat on the Dallas County Commissioners Court.

“Recent developments have caused us to reconsider, and we are withdrawing our recommendation of Cunningham,” the publication said in an article that also claimed a family member and a former staffer reported that Cunningham frequently used the N-word.

Cunningham's brother Bill Cunningham, who is in an interracial same-sex marriage, spoke out against the views he claimed the candidate held,  the HuffPost reported .

Bill Cunningham claimed his brother referred to his husband, who is black, as “your boy” and had refused to have him in his house.

“His views and his actions are disqualifying for anyone to hold public office in 2018,” Bill Cunningham told The Dallas Morning News . “It frightens me to death to think of people in power who could hurt people.”

The candidate suggested his views on interracial marriage had evolved from when he penned the financial incentives (in 2010), particularly given his son had married a Vietnamese woman, The Washington Post reported , however he said it was too late to change the terms of the trust.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    6 years ago

We see this sort of racism every day, but the Trumper deplorables think racism went out when Obama got elected. 

Idiots. 

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
1.1  SteevieGee  replied to  JohnRussell @1    6 years ago

So...  His son marries a white girl, gives her a cut, divorces her and marries his hot, hunky black man.  Problem solved.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  SteevieGee @1.1    6 years ago

that earned a giggle

epistte
Junior Guide
2  epistte    6 years ago

What part of the Bible supports this mans beleifs? 

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
2.1  Skrekk  replied to  epistte @2    6 years ago

Wanna bet that he's a tradition Southern Baptist?

epistte
Junior Guide
2.1.1  epistte  replied to  Skrekk @2.1    6 years ago
Wanna bet that he's a tradition Southern Baptist?

That would be the most likely religion.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
2.1.2  Skrekk  replied to  epistte @2.1.1    6 years ago

It seems he goes to the First Baptist Church in Dallas, an SBC megachurch.    I guess the correct phrase is "duh".

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  epistte @2    6 years ago

It is not the Bible, it is the idiot racist interpreting it to suit his own twisted ideology!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2.2    6 years ago

The SBC adherents find a justification in the Bible

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.2.3  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2.2    6 years ago

So is what you are saying is that anybody who is of the Southern Baptist denomination are all tarred with the same racist brush because of their particular faith?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2.2.3    6 years ago

Not all, but the Southern Baptists did justify slavery using the Bible, didn't they?

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.2.5  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2.4    6 years ago

They did, but they certainly were not the only ones. Makes no sense to single out just one group but not others. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.6  Trout Giggles  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2.2.5    6 years ago

I'm not the only one who paints with a broad brush around here. At least I can admit it

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.2.7  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2.6    6 years ago

If you are inferring that I specifically accused you of such, please accept my  apologies as that was not my intent. I was referring to the overall theme being presented by multiple people posting here.

epistte
Junior Guide
2.2.8  epistte  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2.2.3    6 years ago
So is what you are saying is that anybody who is of the Southern Baptist denomination are all tarred with the same racist brush because of their particular faith?

They have to know their sects twisted interpretation of the bible to support slavery and racial separation. Their leaders apologized for their racist views of the past, so it is well known.

The Southern Baptist Convention issued an apology for its earlier stance on slavery. The issue had split the Baptist church between north and south in 1845. But a century and a half later, in 1995, Southern Baptist officials formally renounced the church's support of slavery and segregation. Richard Land, former head of the Southern Baptist Christian Life Commission, gives more information on the historic apology.

August of 2009.

It took until 2017 for the SBC to condemn the alt-right. 

PHOENIX (BP) -- Messengers to the 2017 Southern Baptist Convention annual meeting denounced "alt-right white supremacy" in a nearly unanimous vote Wednesday (June 14) after a tumultuous day of refusing to address the issue. It appeared maybe fewer than 10 messengers in the Phoenix Convention Center hall voted in the afternoon session against a resolution on "the anti-gospel of alt-right white supremacy." The "alt-right," a movement that advocates white nationalism, has gained increasing attention in the last 18 months. The action came after a wave of protests on social media from black and white Southern Baptists and other evangelical Christians greeted the failure Tuesday of the Resolutions Committee and messengers to bring an "alt-right" resolution to the floor.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.9  Trout Giggles  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2.2.7    6 years ago

Then I'm very sorry for taking your comment the wrong way.

shake?

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.2.10  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2.9    6 years ago

Peace. I am a Southern Baptist of mixed Mexican/American heritage who grew up in a small town on the AZ/Mexico border. I grew up with racist attitudes. As a kid in the 50's and 60's I would regularly get beat up by the Mexicans for being half white and beat up by the whites for being half Mexican! How's that fir identity issues? But as I grew up I made peace with my dual culture heritage and many of those folks who treated me badly are now close friends. I live in the same town I grew up in. Racism is in fact a entirely curable condition. By the way, like the Cheech and Chong song goes, I married a white girl named Debbie and got a brother in law named Jeff. For real!

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
2.2.11  Skrekk  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2.2.10    6 years ago

It's great that the SBC has finally started condemning racism despite the racist origins of that sect, but it's too bad that they haven't evolved at all regarding homophobia and misogyny.   Maybe in a few more decades they'll evolve to where more mainstream Christian sects already are?

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.2.12  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Skrekk @2.2.11    6 years ago

No offense, but it seems that you are assuming that because someone is a Southern Baptist that they all share the same views espoused by the so called leadership. I assure you that we do not. I firmly believe in live and let live. There are many factions to the church that are very tolerant and peaceful. Do not believe all the propaganda being put out by what passes for media nowadays. Do some in depth research on your own before judging the whole organization. I may be Southern Baptist, but I never said I was a good or practicing one. By the way, I was actually raised as a Roman Catholic in the 50's and 60's and I could not find a worse bunch of uptight self righteous bigots anywhere. I married outside the church and was threatened with excommunication for which I told them go right ahead. Do not know whether they did or not and do not care either way. Have a good evening.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
2.2.13  Skrekk  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2.2.12    6 years ago
No offense, but it seems that you are assuming that because someone is a Southern Baptist that they all share the same views espoused by the so called leadership.

My comments were strictly about the doctrinal views of the SBC itself.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.2.14  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Skrekk @2.2.13    6 years ago

Okay understood. Thank you for the clarification.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.15  Trout Giggles  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2.2.10    6 years ago

My husband is of Mexican/American Native heritage. He grew up in an Italian/Mexican neighborhood and got beat up a lot, too. LOL!

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
3  bbl-1    6 years ago

No big deal here.  Theys just gopers.  Besides, in GOPer/world  money walks and talks.

Don't like Asians either, huh?  Antebellum still lives.

epistte
Junior Guide
3.1  epistte  replied to  bbl-1 @3    6 years ago
Don't like Asians either, huh?

I wonder if someone can find pictures of him wearing his native dress?  A sheet. 

epistte
Junior Guide
3.1.2  epistte  replied to    6 years ago

I wish that I could read these juicy replies before they were deleted. I seem to have a gift fo causing a few people to post replies that are outside the boundary. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
3.1.3  Raven Wing  replied to  epistte @3.1.2    6 years ago
I seem to have a gift fo causing a few people to post replies that are outside the boundary.

Perhaps if you stopped twisting their arms they would not be compelled to post those CoC violations.   chuckle

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
3.1.4  bbl-1  replied to  epistte @3.1.2    6 years ago

No, you don't want to see it.  Accusations and name calling is as good as conservatism gets.

epistte
Junior Guide
3.1.5  epistte  replied to  bbl-1 @3.1.4    6 years ago
Accusations and name calling is as good as conservatism gets.

I miss the pragmatic conservatives of 30-35 years ago, but now they would be considered Hillary voters and undecideds.

epistte
Junior Guide
3.1.6  epistte  replied to  Raven Wing @3.1.3    6 years ago
Perhaps if you stopped twisting their arms they would not be compelled to post those CoC violations.

I sincerely do try not to ask loaded or leading questions that might cause someone to lash out in anger. 

A late friend on a former forum took to calling me Diogenes because of my tendency ask people questions instead of replying with statements. 

I miss GIR/Mark. He could say more in 1 sentence than I can in an entire paragraph.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
3.1.7  bbl-1  replied to  epistte @3.1.5    6 years ago

Conservatism is dead.  Murdered by Reagan and Supply Side Economics.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
3.1.8  Skrekk  replied to  bbl-1 @3.1.7    6 years ago

I think it was murdered by the very bible-babblers that Goldwater warned the GOP about, ie this bigot in Dallas.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
3.1.9  Raven Wing  replied to  epistte @3.1.6    6 years ago
A late friend on a former forum took to calling me Diogenes because of my tendency ask people questions instead of replying with statements.

Ya gotta love those kind of people who can cut off their imaginary gigantic balls off in less than 10 words.  I know a few like that as well. We could use some like that here on NT. Winking 2

lady in black
Professor Quiet
4  lady in black    6 years ago

This guy is a revolting piece of shit.  

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
4.1  lennylynx  replied to  lady in black @4    6 years ago

He's a Republican; that kinda goes without saying!

Kavika
Professor Principal
5  Kavika     6 years ago

Probably a good thing since it sounds like there was a lot of inbreeding in the family. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
6  sandy-2021492    6 years ago

Well.

He seems nice.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
7  sixpick    6 years ago

You people are going to worry yourselves to death.

epistte
Junior Guide
7.1  epistte  replied to  sixpick @7    6 years ago
You people are going to worry yourselves to death.

I'm not worried.  This guy is just another conservative racist, and the GOP seems not to have a problem with his beliefs.

epistte
Junior Guide
7.1.2  epistte  replied to    6 years ago
I wouldn't have a problem with it if the guy was a black atheist stipulating his kids would receive the money only if they married an atheist BLM member, Would you? I doubt it.

Why do you always have to argue that what he is doing is acceptable by suggesting that others are just as bigoted?

Which group is more offensive to you? Atheists, progressives, LGBT or BLM members?

epistte
Junior Guide
7.1.4  epistte  replied to    6 years ago
Because there are others just as bigoted and more so.

Is that what you have convinced yourself?

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
7.1.6  magnoliaave  replied to    6 years ago

That's a fact!  It is his money and his business.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
7.1.7  SteevieGee  replied to    6 years ago
I wouldn't have a problem with it if the guy was a black atheist stipulating his kids would receive the money only if they married an atheist BLM member, Would you? I doubt it.

No I wouldn't have a problem with it at all but this guy is still the very definition of a racist.  He's also running for Congress so I think it's important that the voters know it.

Explorerdog
Freshman Silent
7.1.8  Explorerdog  replied to  magnoliaave @7.1.6    6 years ago

doesn't stop anyone from pointing out his obvious deficiencies.

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
7.1.9  magnoliaave  replied to  Explorerdog @7.1.8    6 years ago

True.  I don't see it as a deficiency.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
7.1.10  Skrekk  replied to  magnoliaave @7.1.9    6 years ago
I don't see it as a deficiency.

No surprise there.

bugsy
Professor Participates
7.1.11  bugsy  replied to  epistte @7.1.2    6 years ago
by suggesting that others are just as bigoted?

Because they are...and he is right.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
7.1.12  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  epistte @7.1    6 years ago

Sorry to disappoint you but racism is not something confined only to conservatives and the GOP. To be fair, progressive left wing liberals have more than their share as well!

epistte
Junior Guide
7.1.13  epistte  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @7.1.12    6 years ago
Sorry to disappoint you but racism is not something confined only to conservatives and the GOP. To be fair, progressive left wing liberals have more than their share as well!

Who do we lefty progressives harbor racist beliefs toward?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
7.1.14  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to    6 years ago
It doesn't matter they all have the right to decide under what circumstances their money will be distributed.

While you are correct that he has the right to distribute his money as he sees fit, it is also very telling about him as a person. 

Christianity does not say you have to marry within your own race. He is trying to sell this as a christian value and it is not. Had he just said that he wanted a hetro marriage I would have agreed that it could be part of certain denominations beliefs.  It is his own bigotry that made race as part of qualifications of that distribution.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
7.1.15  Trout Giggles  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @7.1.14    6 years ago

At least Iceman admits the guy is an asshole.....

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
7.1.16  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Trout Giggles @7.1.15    6 years ago

Then an A+ to iceman but I must have missed that in his comments.  

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
7.1.17  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  epistte @7.1.13    6 years ago

If you have to ask that, then you have no clue whatsoever and  missed the entire point of my comment!

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
7.1.18  sandy-2021492  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @7.1.17    6 years ago

You made a declaration whose veracity is doubtful.  You have been asked to back it up.  Can you?  Or must you resort to insulting epistte's intelligence to avoid supporting your statement?

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
7.1.19  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  sandy-2021492 @7.1.18    6 years ago

So by your statement you are asserting, just like Epistte seemed to, that progressive liberals are not capable of racism? If so, that is a very small and narrow minded world view! I made a generalized statement based on logic, common sense and sadly human nature that I should not have to needed empirical and documented evidence to back myself up. I simply stated, out of all fairness, that racism knows no political restraints and all are capable of it. It seems you missed my point as well. I meant no insults to anyone and if they took offense, then I apologize to any that did. In either case, it is not my responsibility do to research that others are just as capable of finding themselves if they want. Have a good day. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
7.1.20  sandy-2021492  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @7.1.19    6 years ago
progressive liberals are not capable of racism?

Where did I say that?  You'll always have outliers.

Liberals in general tend to be more open-minded when it comes to matters of race, IMO.  Liberal policies tend to support equal rights, while conservative policies have tended to support inequality.  Slavery, Jim Crow - those were defended by conservatives, and ended by liberals.  Does that mean all conservatives are racists?  Of course not.  But their party's platform has traditionally supported racism, and I don't see any white supremacists running as Democrats.  It's unfortunate that the GOP has embraced such politics, but it has, and still occasionally does, or at least winks and nods at racism.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7.2  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  sixpick @7    6 years ago

No value [ph]

John you must stop making personal comments about people. The only reason I am giving you a break here is that Six opened the door. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7.2.2  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell @7.2    6 years ago

You're right, I should have replied like this "You people who worry about communists in America all the time are going to worry yourselves to death" Laugh

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
7.2.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  JohnRussell @7.2.2    6 years ago

I thought it was Marxist Fascists these days?

sixpick
Professor Quiet
11  sixpick    6 years ago

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
11.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  sixpick @11    6 years ago

So we should not comment on racists because ...... Muhammad Ali.  Is that your story and you're sticking to it? 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
11.2  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  sixpick @11    6 years ago

At that stage of Ali's life, he was flirting with a separatist mentality.  That is why he says civil rights was a white man's game. That is , of course, ridiculous, as Ali came to realize as he got older and wiser. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
11.2.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JohnRussell @11.2    6 years ago

That was Malcom X, not  Muhammad Ali and this was before his trip to Mecca. He changed his POV after that. 

A Work in Progress, Cut Down

It’s easy to overly romanticize Malcolm’s last period of his life, to misinterpret it as gentler, more amenable to white tastes then (and to some extent still now) so hostile to Malcolm. In reality, he returned to the United States as fiery as ever. His philosophy was taking a new direction. But his critique of liberalism went on unabated. He was willing to take the help of “sincere whites,” but he was under no illusion that the solution for black Americans would not begin with whites.

It would begin and end with blacks. In that regard, whites were better off busying themselves with confronting their own pathological racism. “Let sincere whites go and teach non-violence to white people,” he said.

Malcolm never had the chance to evolve his new philosophy fully. “I never have felt that I would live to be an old man,” he told Alex Haley, his biographer. On Feb. 21, 1965, at the Audubon Ballroom in Harlem, he was shot by three men as he was preparing to speak to an audience of several hundred.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
11.2.2  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @11.2.1    6 years ago
That was Malcom X, not Muhammad Ali and this was before his trip to Mecca. He changed his POV after that.

Originally after changing his name from Cassius Clay to Muhammad Ali , Ali was a devotee of the black separatist Elijah Muhammad (hence Muhammad Ali) and Ali did at times suggest rather plainly that blacks needed to operate psychologically outside of the dominant white society. 

As he got a little older his original black Muslim beliefs receded. 

===============================================================

50 Years Since Elijah Muhammad Gives Cassius Clay

elijah - muhammad ...

Browse 50 Years Since Elijah Muhammad Gives Cassius Clay The Name Muhammad Ali latest photos. View images and find out more about 50 Years Since Elijah Muhammad Gives Cassius Clay The Name Muhammad Ali at Getty Images.