╌>

Judge rules 30-year-old must move out of his parents' house

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  badfish-hd-h-u  •  6 years ago  •  53 comments

Judge rules 30-year-old must move out of his parents' house

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

636626496770844683APSonEvicted.jpg

It's time for a 30-year-old man to move out of his parents' home, an upstate New York judge ruled Tuesday. 

Parents Mark and Christina Rotondo of Camillus, N.Y., want their son Michael to move out, get a job and take his broken-down Volkswagen Passat with him. The couple gave Michael several eviction letters over the past few months and even offered financial help to move out of their house. But he won't leave without a legal fight. 

In a Feb. 18 letter, his parents offer him $1,100 to find another place to stay, ending with: "There are jobs available even for those with a poor work history like you. Get one — you have to work!" It's signed "Christina and Mark Rotondo."

More:   For Millennials, there's no place like home when it's time to save for one

More:   Boomerang kids 101: How to handle money when your adult children move back home

In a 30-minute-long back and forth conversation Tuesday, Michael told State Supreme Court Justice Donald Greenwood that he needs six more months. Greenwood called the request "outrageous," and encouraged Michael to address his parents directly in the courtroom — which he refused,   Syracuse.com reports

Greenwood encouraged the parents' lawyer to draft an eviction order.

After the court decision, Michael told camera crews to meet him outside, where he told them he plans to appeal. He also said he has a business to support himself, but declined to elaborate. 

Then, as Syrcause.com noted, he went home to his parents' house.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
2  Jasper2529    6 years ago

This story is so bizarre. Many of the articles omit important details, but from what I've read, Michael also:

• never helped with chores or home expenses because no one "asked" him to help.
  • is a dead beat dad who lost custody of his child.
  • had a place of his own but for unknown reasons moved back to his parents' home.
  • had a job at Best Buy a few years ago but was fired when he refused to work on Saturdays.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
3  SteevieGee    6 years ago

I've heard that the NRA will pay him to troll news sites all day and spew nonsense.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
3.2  Spikegary  replied to  SteevieGee @3    6 years ago

Deleted, skirting  {SP}

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
3.2.1  Colour Me Free  replied to  Spikegary @3.2    6 years ago

Haha ya beat me to it Spikegary .. 

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
3.2.2  Spikegary  replied to  Colour Me Free @3.2.1    6 years ago

Then the over-moderator got here.  Of course, ignoring the insulting comment that prompted it.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
3.2.3  SteevieGee  replied to  Spikegary @3.2.2    6 years ago

I didn't insult you.  I'm simply suggesting a job opportunity that's so easy that any moron could do it without even getting dressed.  Sounds perfect for this guy so he won't be left homeless.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
4  Spikegary    6 years ago

30?  Time to go, son......

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
4.2  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Spikegary @4    6 years ago
30?  Time to go, son......

Well past time as far as I'm concerned. I was gone at 17 my sister at 18 and my bro 18 as well. Of course mom and dad gave my 18 year old brother a set of luggage and a new pair of shoes for his 18th birthday so I guess he got the hint pretty well. LOL 

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
5  Freefaller    6 years ago

Read this story yesterday, this guy is a loser.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6  Paula Bartholomew    6 years ago

My husband lived with his parents until we got married.  He worked with his father so they would car pool.  He also paid rent on his room, chipped in for groceries, and did the yard work.  He was son as well as tenant.  This guy is a total leech who needs to hit the road.  I hope the parents change all of the locks the moment he is gone.

bugsy
Professor Participates
7  bugsy    6 years ago

Off Topic  {SP}

Meta comments (comments about the site or its members) are always off-topic.

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
7.1  lennylynx  replied to  bugsy @7    6 years ago

Removed for context  {SP}

Members should refrain from disciplining other members. If someone is violating the CoC, members should make no comment but rather use the flagging system to report it to the moderators.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
7.1.1  Spikegary  replied to  lennylynx @7.1    6 years ago

Removed for context  {SP}

Members should refrain from disciplining other members. If someone is violating the CoC, members should make no comment but rather use the flagging system to report it to the moderators.

user image
Freshman Silent
8      6 years ago

When my oldest son graduated college he decided to move back home. My wife and I drew up a month to month lease for him to sign stipulating he would pay $ 250 a month room and board and help with the yard work. It worked out well, he kept the agreement until he married and moved out.

Michael Rotondo is a bum!!

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
10  magnoliaave    6 years ago

Until I married at age 22, I lived at home.  Never paid anything.  After my husband and I moved from Atlanta back home we stayed with my parents for three months.  Never paid anything, but would buy groceries and help out.  Mother lived with us for three years until we moved out of state.  Never paid anything.  Darn, I loved that.  My two sons and their families are always welcome to live with me.  They are wonderful.  Growing up that is the way I was raised.  Not enough beds?  Bring a pallet and sleep on the floor.  Money was never exchanged...mostly  cause there wasn't any, so, they helped around the house.

When I moved to England things weren't going too well.  My precious sister told me she was sending me an airline ticket to CA (where she lived) and that I was offered to live with her and that her home would be my home for as long as I wanted it.  I came back home and lived with my youngest son for a year.  He would not take money, but I   did help out a lot with my grandchildren, cooking, etc.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
10.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  magnoliaave @10    6 years ago

Sometimes acts of helpfulness are worth more than just handing over money.

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
10.1.1  magnoliaave  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @10.1    6 years ago

So true.....I like you.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
10.1.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  magnoliaave @10.1.1    6 years ago

We don't often agree but I like you also.

Veronica
Professor Guide
11  Veronica    6 years ago

Sigh.... both of my adult children live at home.  I have no problem with it.  My husband has no problem with it.  We have the space and what they could afford on their salaries when they pay health insurance, college loans would be some rat infested hovel.  Not to mention food prices.  They have their space - we have ours.  They pitch in with housework, yard work and house maintenance.  I guess I would rather them in a safe place with good food.  

Let the barrage of insults commence.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
11.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Veronica @11    6 years ago

No insults from me. Your kids are contributing to society and help you out with the chores. I would let my kids live with me if they did that if they had to.

Veronica
Professor Guide
11.1.1  Veronica  replied to  Trout Giggles @11.1    6 years ago

It is amazing how some people (my siblings, father, stepmother) tell me I should let them fend for themselves.  Phrases like "cut the apron strings", "enabler", "helicopter mom" are common from them.  I now ignore them, since I know my kids circumstances better than they.  My daughter's health issues is always a concern.  If she has an episode & is living alone I would hate to think she would be unable to get herself to the hospital.  My son with his social anxiety disorder is just now getting out there without having panic attacks.  I can't imagine what he would do if he had to find a place to live & live in squalor.  I love my kids too much to toss them to the wolves.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
11.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  Veronica @11    6 years ago

This guy didn't do anything though. No job, didn't contribute in any way, to his family or society.

magnoliaave
Sophomore Quiet
11.3  magnoliaave  replied to  Veronica @11    6 years ago

Even without health issues and bills if you want your children to live in your home....great.  Insofar as family goes there is always advice one way or the other.  My response to them....maybe, you are right, but it is our choice and that's it.  I love families who help one another out as so many don't or can't. 

Enjoy them!

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
12  Thrawn 31    6 years ago

Read about this guy, what a fuckin bum.