╌>

Director of federal prisons resigns after clashes with Kushner, Sessions: report

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  pat-wilson  •  6 years ago  •  17 comments

Director of federal prisons resigns after clashes with Kushner, Sessions: report

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

© Greg Nash

The director of the Federal Bureau of Prisons reportedly resigned last week amid tensions with senior White House adviser Jared Kushner and Attorney General Jeff Sessions .

The New York Times reported Thursday that Mark Inch submitted his resignation white complaining that Kushner and Sessions had cut him out of major decisions and flouted “departmental norms.”

Sessions hired Inch last August, praising the retired Army major general’s qualifications for the role. 

However, Inch allegedly struggled to navigate his position as Kushner and Sessions each pushed for their preferred reforms to the prison system.

Inch was reportedly left out of budget decisions and was in the dark on discussions about the prison reform bill that passed the House this week .

In addition, Inch was reportedly rebuffed by Sessions when he attempted to hire his preferred personnel for his team.

Prison reform has been one of several initiatives that Kushner has added to his portfolio of responsibilities.

The White House hosted a summit last Friday on the issue where President Trump said he would sign a prison-reform bill if it passed Congress.

The House-passed legislation, which is supported by the administration but faces an uncertain future in the Senate, would allow prisoners to earn time credits for completing programs, and then use those credits to serve the remaining days of their sentences in a halfway house or home confinement.

The bill also requires inmates to be housed within 500 miles of their families when possible and prohibits the shackling of female inmates while they are pregnant, giving birth or in postpartum recovery. 

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

pat wilson
Professor Participates
1  seeder  pat wilson    6 years ago

A watchdog group sued the Department of Justice Tuesday after the Trump administration refused to disclose potential coordination with the private prison industry that was allegedly headed up by Jared Kushner.

Excerpt from one of many articles about the Kushner's interest in private prisons, surprise, surprise !

Cronyism at it's finest !

Enoch
Masters Quiet
1.1  Enoch  replied to  pat wilson @1    6 years ago

True.

Not good for anyone.

E.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  pat wilson @1    6 years ago

And he just got his FBI approved security clearance too!

pat wilson
Professor Participates
1.2.1  seeder  pat wilson  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.2    6 years ago

Odd, don't you think ?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  pat wilson @1.2.1    6 years ago

Not really

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
2  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu     6 years ago

What, another one small step for trump. one small step toward a one man government for America.

No that couldn't happen here

PJ
Masters Quiet
3  PJ    6 years ago

I wish the article had provided a comparison between Mr. Inch's and the Kushner/Session plan.

I'm not surprised that another appointee has bailed.  He was smart to get out when he realized he had been railroaded into being a figure head only. 

Gosh this Administration's crapola frustrates me.      

pat wilson
Professor Participates
3.1  seeder  pat wilson  replied to  PJ @3    6 years ago
I wish the article had provided a comparison between Mr. Inch's and the Kushner/Session plan.

Yes, I wish the article had more info. I knew when I read it though that the Kushners had to have interest in the private prison biz for Jared to be so involved. So I googled and low and behold there is a slew of articles about it. 

Trump's your daddy, Jared.

PJ
Masters Quiet
3.1.1  PJ  replied to  pat wilson @3.1    6 years ago

I was surprised to learn years ago how much money Cheney had in private prisoners.  It's like a treasure trove for them.

That's why they also want to pack the courts with their judges.  More convictions, more prisoners, more profits.

What kind of people profit off of the misery of others.........  It's so sad to think about.  Republicans continue to chip away at my faith in humanity.  

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  PJ @3.1.1    6 years ago

How do private prisons profit? Do they make money from getting contracts from state/federal governments? If that's the case, then the taxpayers are really the ones footing the bill and we are getting scammed.

PJ
Masters Quiet
3.1.3  PJ  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.2    6 years ago

Exactly.  They receive subsidies from the Federal Government and the States.  Companies bid to be awarded contracts to provide healthcare, prison clothing, linens, blankets, shoes, personal care products.  And let's not forget food.  There are many other products specifically made for prisons that I won't list.

Owners like Cheney are charging outrageous amounts to provide services and supplies. 

It's not in the best interest of the owners and stakeholders to "reform" prisons or prisoners.  

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
4  bbl-1    6 years ago

Prison reform through Sessions and Kushner?   I assume that 'privatization' is the heart of this matter.

Not shackling female prisoners while giving birth?  Female prisoners should not be giving birth, ever. 

pat wilson
Professor Participates
4.1  seeder  pat wilson  replied to  bbl-1 @4    6 years ago

Agreed !

MrFrost
Professor Expert
4.2  MrFrost  replied to  bbl-1 @4    6 years ago
I assume that 'privatization' is the heart of this matter.

That seems to be the ONLY motivation for trump and his criminal administration. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
5  Kavika     6 years ago

This makes number ....... that have bailed out of this administration...

Split Personality
Professor Guide
6  Split Personality    6 years ago

All kinds of food related nonsense going on in Texas jails...

and Ohio

and one from Georgia

pat wilson
Professor Participates
6.1  seeder  pat wilson  replied to  Split Personality @6    6 years ago

Thank you.