╌>

‘No Conservative Group Is Safe from Social Media Censorship

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  heartland-american  •  6 years ago  •  61 comments

‘No Conservative Group Is Safe from Social Media Censorship

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy claimed conservative Christians are being routinely silenced on social media during a speech this month to the Council of National Policy, concluding “no conservative group is safe.”

“Increasingly, people like us are belittled and forced out of the public square,” declared McCarthy. “Conservative Christians are being silenced in corporate America and the mainstream media — including on social media, where some of the most important conversations of our day are taking place.”

“There are troubling reports that Amazon excluded the Alliance Defending Freedom from its charity program after a smear campaign by a left-wing activist group. As you know, ADF is not some fringe group. It is one of the most respected public-interest law firms in the country, with two cases pending before the Supreme Court,” he continued, adding, “Those cases — Masterpiece Cakeshop v. Colorado and NIFLA v. Becerra — will determine the very future of religious freedom in America.”

“If ADF is not safe from discrimination, no conservative group is safe… And this is not an isolated incident. During the height of the 2016 election, we learned that Facebook employees ‘routinely’ suppressed conservative stories so they wouldn’t show up in Americans’ newsfeeds,” McCarthy proclaimed. “And Twitter has censored run-of-the-mill pro-life advertisements for being ‘inflammatory.’ Think how backward that is. To some in the media and Silicon Valley, the pro-life message is ‘inflammatory’ — but not abortion itself, which tears apart innocent human beings in the womb.”

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1  seeder  XXJefferson51    6 years ago

“Conservative Christians are being silenced in corporate America and the mainstream media — including on social media, where some of the most important conversations of our day are taking place.”

“There are troubling reports that Amazon excluded the Alliance Defending Freedom from its charity program after a smear campaign by a left-wing activist group. As you know, ADF is not some fringe group. It is one of the most respected public-interest law firms in the country, with two cases pending before the Supreme Court,” he continued, adding, “Those cases — Masterpiece Cakeshop v. Colorado and NIFLA v. Becerra — will determine the very future of religious freedom in America.”

“If ADF is not safe from discrimination, no conservative group is safe… And this is not an isolated incident. During the height of the 2016 election, we learned that Facebook employees ‘routinely’ suppressed conservative stories so they wouldn’t show up in Americans’ newsfeeds,” McCarthy proclaimed. “And Twitter has censored run-of-the-mill pro-life advertisements for being ‘inflammatory.’ Think how backward that is.“

epistte
Junior Guide
2  epistte    6 years ago

Wasn't this same thread seeded before?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  epistte @2    6 years ago

While the generic issue of pro liberal bias and an anti conservative anti Christian censorship occurring across most all internet platforms has been talked about before like any other generic issue, this is a new topic based on news reports of what the US Congress majority leader and possible future Speaker of the House rightly said.  

epistte
Junior Guide
2.1.1  epistte  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1    6 years ago
While the generic issue of pro liberal bias and an anti conservative anti Christian censorship occurring across most all internet platforms has been talked about before like any other generic issue, this is a new topic based on news reports of what the US Congress majority leader and possible future Speaker of the House rightly said.

You do not have free speech rights on privately owned websites such as Twitter and Facebook. Censorship only occurs when the government limits your free speech rights. 

Religious conservatives need to create their own media sites if Facebook, Instagram and Twitter are a problem for you. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.2  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  epistte @2.1.1    6 years ago

Maybe we will get government to regulate the internet to compel it to treat conservatives and Christians equally to the way secular liberals are treated.  Maybe make political and religious speech a protected class that anyone who makes it their livelihood to operate a web site that caters to the public has to equally serve all such speech as would be protected under the 1st amendment elsewhere.  Perhaps Google, Facebook , and Twitter would like that.  It would be a much better regulation than net neutrality.  

Pedro
Professor Participates
2.1.3  Pedro  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1.2    6 years ago

You are in luck. With Net Neutrality, you get all of the things you want. Whether you choose to acknowledge it or not is a completely different matter of course.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
2.1.5  pat wilson  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1.2    6 years ago
Maybe we will get government to regulate the internet

See, that right there is totally antithetical to the Right. Are you a lefty or a righty, Heartland ?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.6  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Pedro @2.1.3    6 years ago

Net neutrality is about to end and not be renewed.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.7  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  pat wilson @2.1.5    6 years ago

It goes against what I believe in but in this one case I might consider an exception.  Or make use of anti trust laws and create free market competition instead of having regulated monopolies.  Internet site owners/ the tech industry needs to be compelled to accept and be tolerant of a diversity of political and religious opinion and expression.  

epistte
Junior Guide
2.1.8  epistte  replied to    6 years ago
Those are monopoly's and need to be broken up.

How are those a monopoly, unless other social media sites are not being permitted to exist?

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
2.1.9  Skrekk  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1.7    6 years ago
Internet site owners/ the tech industry needs to be compelled to accept and be tolerant of a diversity of political and religious opinion and expression.

Why?   Sounds like you're opposed to the free market and want to force privately-owned platforms to publish your dreck.    That's rather clearly unconstitutional as well as whiny and pathetic.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.1.10  Greg Jones  replied to  epistte @2.1.1    6 years ago
Religious conservatives need to create their own media sites if Facebook, Instagram and Twitter are a problem for you.

By law, these public companies or organizations have to "accomodate" different views or else it is discrimination and censorship.

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
2.1.11  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Greg Jones @2.1.10    6 years ago
By law, these public companies or organizations have to "accomodate" different views or else it is discrimination and censorship.

true so conservatives could post whatever and however much they want on these mediums as well.

However now facebook I believe has a new policy. IF you are advertising political posts now I believe they require you provide them with a social security number so they can verify you are an a American.

stuff changed, it always does.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1.12  It Is ME  replied to  epistte @2.1.1    6 years ago
You do not have free speech rights on privately owned websites such as Twitter and Facebook.

But the courts said one does, especially when it comes to Trump. Trump blocks idiots...court says he can't do that, although the ones blocked can still read his tweets. The ones blocked by Trump can also re-up on twitter under another name to voice their opinions on Trumps Tweets again. Same as can happen on this site.

Funny, The Courts just made a decision for a private company, but it was ALL ABOUT TRUMP after all. laughing dude

Be aware, be very aware.....YOU could be next after that ruling ! confused

Fireryone
Freshman Silent
2.1.14  Fireryone  replied to  It Is ME @2.1.12    6 years ago
But the courts said one does, especially when it comes to Trump.

Trump is the President, so yes it is wrong for him to censor the public on his twitter feed.  Only government officials posting officially are bound by that.

The rest of us arent.

epistte
Junior Guide
2.1.15  epistte  replied to  Greg Jones @2.1.10    6 years ago

Read the fine print before you click accept when you register.

epistte
Junior Guide
2.1.16  epistte  replied to    6 years ago
You mean like public schools which allow all sorts of anti Trump bullshit to pose as free speech, but a t-shirt showing support for the border wall is completely unacceptable because it's OFFENSIVE:

Public schools are part of the government and are funded by the taxpayer money so they are prevented from censoring viewpoints.

That damn evil ACLU is at it again,

"The school clearly crossed the line when it required a student to remove a T-shirt that voiced support for Donald Trump's border wall or face a suspension. This shirt is mean-spirited, but it isn't a 'disturbance' under First Amendment case law. It is disappointing that Liberty High School decided to censor the student instead of inviting the student body to discuss immigration, the freedom of speech, and the impacts of xenophobic rhetoric. Schools have a responsibility to teach our youth how to engage in thoughtful conversations about difficult and potentially offensive subject matters. Censorship doesn't work and often just elevates the subject the government is trying to silence."
Mat dos Santos, legal director of the ACLU of Oregon

cjcold
Professor Quiet
2.1.17  cjcold  replied to  epistte @2.1.16    6 years ago

I miss the old Vine where we could vote a post or seed up or down. Weren't you banned from the vine?

cjcold
Professor Quiet
2.1.18  cjcold  replied to  cjcold @2.1.17    6 years ago

Oops thought I was responding to Heartland who used to be "Cornhusker for Palin". Curious as to how a cornhusker starts advocating for Northern California succession and a Jeffy state.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1.19  It Is ME  replied to  Fireryone @2.1.14    6 years ago
Trump is the President, so yes it is wrong for him to censor the public on his twitter feed.

Everyone can still see his tweets if they block them. Just like here if you are suspended. You can still read to your hearts desire, and if one is devious, they can re-up under a different name and persona' in order to comment. 

"Free Speech" still lives on !!!!!!

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.20  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to    6 years ago

Then there’s this evidence of conservatives getting censored:  

Facebook has greatly reduced the distribution of our stories in our readers' newsfeeds and is instead promoting mainstream media sources. When you share to your friends, however, you greatly help distribute our content. Please take a moment and consider sharing this article with your friends and family. Thank you.    https://www.westernjournal.com/ct/category/political-news/

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
2.1.21  lennylynx  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1.20    6 years ago

Promoting mainstream media, which is all lies, over loony right wing conspiracy sites that always report the truth??  It's terrible, HA, just terrible!! anger

cjcold
Professor Quiet
2.1.22  cjcold  replied to  It Is ME @2.1.19    6 years ago

Just curious if I can say "shut the fuck up" and get away with it?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.23  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  cjcold @2.1.22    6 years ago

Generally speaking, the answer is no.  

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1.24  It Is ME  replied to  cjcold @2.1.22    6 years ago
Just curious if I can say "shut the fuck up" and get away with it?

Probably. 

But don't question yourself....just be who you are. The cleanup MAY happen later. winking

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.25  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  It Is ME @2.1.24    6 years ago

Coc cleanup on aisle 22, cleanup on aisle 22 please!  Giggle

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
3  bbl-1    6 years ago

Absolutely.  Pity the poor christians.  Pity the poor conservatives.  Pity the American Nazi Party.  Pity the Ku Kluxers.  And most of all, pity the poor, "I'm so right because I'm so white," folk.

Ah well.  Don't worry about it, Gorsuch kicked the working folk in the teeth and the billionaires got another payday.

Social Media Censorship?  Don't think so.  I saw many right wing---so called conservative----things on FB claiming that John McCain was a traitor.  An absolute lie but there it was.  No censorship.  Lie speech is free speech, right? 

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
4  Skrekk    6 years ago

If Klan members and other Christian extremists keep finding that their more vile posts get deleted or their accounts get closed by the social media provider, why don't they just start their own social media service for hate groups and theocrats?   That would make far better sense than just whining about it like some of the right wingers here do.

luther28
Sophomore Silent
5  luther28    6 years ago

“Increasingly, people like us are belittled and forced out of the public square,”

Though I myself do not see any evidence of this behavior in my region, I would say that perhaps if "people like us" would stop attempting to ram their brand of religion down everyone else's throats they might be better received.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
6  seeder  XXJefferson51    6 years ago

Do secular progressives get some thrill or happiness from seeing conservative Christians expressions restricted on line?

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
6.1  bbl-1  replied to  XXJefferson51 @6    6 years ago

No.  Secular progressives stand by in 'shock and awe' as they witness ( conservative christians ) constantly impaling their arses on a cross.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
6.1.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  bbl-1 @6.1    6 years ago

The cross is why we have salvation only through He who died on it so we won’t have to face the 2nd and eternal death.  

epistte
Junior Guide
6.1.2  epistte  replied to  XXJefferson51 @6.1.1    6 years ago
The cross is why we have salvation only through He who died on it so we won’t have to face the 2nd and eternal death.

Did you think before you typed this nonsense? Your psychopathic god sends most people to roast in Hell and you claim that this is eternal life?

How could Jesus have died for your sins when God and Jesus knew that they would rise on the 3rd day? A 48-hour nap is hardly a huge sacrifice. 

JBB
Professor Principal
6.1.3  JBB  replied to  epistte @6.1.2    6 years ago
A 48-hour nap is hardly a huge sacrifice.

Sundown Friday to sunup Sunday is the shortest three days in recorded history. Closer to 36 hrs...

cjcold
Professor Quiet
6.1.4  cjcold  replied to  XXJefferson51 @6.1.1    6 years ago

Yep that rant pretty much explains why those of us who have a IQ over 100 scorn those who don't.

lib50
Professor Silent
6.1.5  lib50  replied to  XXJefferson51 @6.1.1    6 years ago
The cross is why we have salvation only through He who died on it so

Spare us the piety, we don't buy it.  Anybody who claims to care about that after supporting Trump (all words and actions) has no credibility at all.  That's not how it works.  And by the way,  the basis for this seed is crap.

And is a projection of what he and republicans are actually doing themselves.

devangelical
Professor Principal
6.2  devangelical  replied to  XXJefferson51 @6    6 years ago

Off Topic "BF"

Veronica
Professor Guide
7  Veronica    6 years ago

Huh, that's amusing - since everywhere I look - Facebook, Twitter, My neighborhood webpage - Christians are allowed to preach, advertise their fund raisers and condemn people like me to Hell.  I do not consider that censorship (by the way - none of those media outlets are the government).

luther28
Sophomore Silent
7.1  luther28  replied to  Veronica @7    6 years ago

Nicely said, I'll meet you in hell :)

Veronica
Professor Guide
7.1.1  Veronica  replied to  luther28 @7.1    6 years ago

If you get there before me save me a good spot & I will do the same.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
7.1.2  cjcold  replied to  Veronica @7.1.1    6 years ago

I'll bring the marshmallows for s'mores.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
7.1.3  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  cjcold @7.1.2    6 years ago

Hell is too serious a fate to make light of.  No one who experiences it will be happy there and all can choose to avoid that outcome.   

devangelical
Professor Principal
7.1.4  devangelical  replied to  XXJefferson51 @7.1.3    6 years ago

I'll be happy watching born again scum being splayed and barbequed there.

epistte
Junior Guide
7.2  epistte  replied to  Veronica @7    6 years ago
Huh, that's amusing - since everywhere I look - Facebook, Twitter, My neighborhood webpage - Christians are allowed to preach, advertise their fund raisers and condemn people like me to Hell.

I have 3 religious fundies that constantly post religious screeds on my Facebook feed and they haven't been banned or censored yet. 

An atheist group that I am part of often has its posts censored.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
8  Thrawn 31    6 years ago

So just create your own platform. 

Sophomore Guide
8.1  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Thrawn 31 @8    6 years ago
So just create your own platform.

Back when nv was still operational I tried to spend some time as well on Fox's news chat forum. Unfortunately once I stopped (stagticily) attacking Obama (to gain acceptance) all of a sudden my posts started getting "poofed" and I was laughed at for even trying to post. 

At that time at least, the conservatives certainly had "their own platform".

JBB
Professor Principal
8.1.1  JBB  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @8.1    6 years ago
At that time at least, the conservatives certainly had "their own platform".

Conservative platforms get blown up with hate so vile even the owners realize it hurts their causes...

Besides, what motivates the worst RW trolls is to disrupt and eventually get "liberal sites" shut down.

When NV closed only a few RW instigators celebrated proclaiming, "We Won". What does that tell ya?

cjcold
Professor Quiet
8.1.2  cjcold  replied to  JBB @8.1.1    6 years ago

I miss the vine as it was in the early days before the right wing invasion.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
8.1.3  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @8.1    6 years ago

A news networks messages section is not remotely the same thing as social media internet providers.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
8.1.4  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  cjcold @8.1.2    6 years ago

Conservatives on the vine were always a tiny minority of the total membership there just like here.  Why be so intolerant of diversity of political thought and opinion?  You don’t see conservatives here or there then constantly complaining about the presence of liberals on the sites.  Debate us using your or seeded opinions on the issues instead of simply moaning and bellyaching because we are here.  

Sophomore Guide
8.1.5  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  XXJefferson51 @8.1.3    6 years ago
A news networks messages section is not remotely the same thing as social media internet providers.

I agree it is not near as involved, far reaching or connected, but Fox news chatroom was definitely a good old boys club that promoted and protected their own ideological points of view. 

I understand many conservative leaning folks have a lot of crap thrown their way on the social media. I think I avoid all most all political crap on facebook by keeping my account in the private category and not crossing over to using facebook's news links at all. 

My facebook rarely  has "spam"of any sort and Is a great way to keep in touch with what little distant family I have left. 

Like I told a good very conservative friend of mine that was telling me about all the liberal spam crap he got constantly  ... "Drop the public category on your facebook account and just allow who you want on to your social media account by setting it up as a private facebook account in their settings." 

I never intended to go public with my facebook it was and is for my friends, my family and myself. Period  

If I want to comment on stuff I come here these days.

Keeping my facebook, No spam, no crap and still quite usable and useful. (and free...lol)

Phoenyx13
Sophomore Silent
8.1.6  Phoenyx13  replied to  XXJefferson51 @8.1.4    6 years ago

yes it is - it's also considered "social media" since it's a section to be... well... social, correct ? do you think social media means something else besides posting comments and being.. well.. social ? This site itself is also social media - were you aware of that ?

Conservatives on the vine were always a tiny minority of the total membership there just like here.  Why be so intolerant of diversity of political thought and opinion?  You don’t see conservatives here or there then constantly complaining about the presence of liberals on the sites.

i constantly see the "conservatives" on here whine about "unfair moderation" and whining about "liberals" supposedly taking over this site - do you not read any of the comments ? it happens almost daily including a "conservative" who whined when they found out they had to lock their seeds 

Debate us using your or seeded opinions on the issues instead of simply moaning and bellyaching because we are here.

yes, that's my advice to the "conservatives" - especially when they whine about moderation or having to lock their seeds, they should just stick to debating using their seeded opinions on issues, correct ?

(don't you just love the constant use of the "victim card" ?)

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
9  Thrawn 31    6 years ago

CoC "BF"

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
9.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Thrawn 31 @9    6 years ago

I didn’t realize we were talking specifically about this site in this seed.  

MrFrost
Professor Expert
10  MrFrost    6 years ago
‘No Conservative Group Is Safe From Social Media Censorship

I wonder how many conservatives trump has blocked on twitter....oh wait, none. 

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
11  bbl-1    6 years ago

Off topic [ph]

cjcold
Professor Quiet
11.1  cjcold  replied to  bbl-1 @11    6 years ago

Do you take checks?

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
11.1.1  bbl-1  replied to  cjcold @11.1    6 years ago

Got an off topic.  Null and void.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
12  seeder  XXJefferson51    6 years ago

In other words, YouTube may operate as a public forum but it is a private business and thus may discriminate as it wishes – since it does not bake cakes or provide food or overnight accommodations … or deal with any civil rights that Judge Koh wants to include among protected constitutional rights.

These actions are the hallmarks of communist, fascist and other totalitarian regimes that seek to control all thought, speech, economic activity and other aspects of our lives. They drive policies that further limit our freedoms, kill countless jobs, and cost us billions or trillions of dollars in lost productivity.

The Left is clearly afraid of conservative ideas and principles. It refuses to participate in discussions or debates that it might lose, and instead resorts to mobbing, bullying and violence to silence our voices.

Up to now, lower courts have not always been supportive of the analysis and prescriptions presented in this article. But appellate courts and the Supreme Court have yet to weigh in on the Trump Twitter, Prager YouTube, Google search bias and similar cases. So we are still in uncharted territory.

Conservatives, climate chaos skeptics and true free speech advocates should help create the legal precedents, while also pressing forward to build their own social media forums, and exposing, ridiculing, embarrassing and challenging the dominance of the Intolerant Left.    https://townhall.com/columnists/pauldriessen/2018/05/26/public-forums-should-be-open-and-uncensored-n2484576

Sophomore Guide
12.1  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  XXJefferson51 @12    6 years ago
These actions are the hallmarks of communist, fascist and other totalitarian regimes that seek to control all thought, speech, economic activity and other aspects of our lives. They drive policies that further limit our freedoms, kill countless jobs, and cost us billions or trillions of dollars in lost productivity.

That's about what I thought when the Fox news chat-room keep poofing my posts.

IMO: Censorship sucks and it doesn't matter who is doing the censorship, left or right.