╌>

Read Jeff Flake's Commencement Speech on the Rule of Law and Trump: 'We May Have Hit Bottom'

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  dignitatem-societatis  •  6 years ago  •  21 comments

Read Jeff Flake's Commencement Speech on the Rule of Law and Trump: 'We May Have Hit Bottom'

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

In an address to Harvard Law School graduates on Wednesday, Arizona Sen. Jeff Flake sharpened his critique of President Trump and Congress, which he said “is failing its constitutional obligations to counteract the power of the president, and in so doing is dishonoring itself, at a critical moment in the life of our nation.”

Full text of the speech is in the article. 

Here are a few excerpts:

I am here today as representative of a co-equal branch of our federal government — which is failing its constitutional obligations to counteract the power of the president, and in so doing is dishonoring itself — at a critical moment in the life of our nation.

And so, with humility, let me suggest that perhaps it is best to consider what I have to say today as something of a cautionary tale —

-about the rule of law and its fragility;

-about our democratic norms and how hard-won and vulnerable they are;

-about the independence of our system of justice, and how critically important it is to safeguard it from malign actors who would casually destroy that independence for their own purposes and without a thought to the consequences;

-about the crucial predicate for all of these cherished American values: Truth. Empirical, objective truth;

-and lastly, about the necessity to defend these values and these institutions that you will soon inherit, even if that means sometimes standing alone, even if it means risking something important to you, maybe even your career. Because there are times when circumstances may call on you to risk your career in favor of your principles.

But you — and your country — will be better for it. You can go elsewhere for a job, but you cannot go elsewhere for a soul.

Not to be unpleasant, but I do bring news from our nation’s capital. First, the good news: Your national leadership is… not good. At all. Our presidency has been debased by a figure who has a seemingly bottomless appetite for destruction and division and only a passing familiarity with how the constitution works.

And our Article I branch of government, the Congress (that’s me), is utterly supine in the face of the moral vandalism that flows from the White House daily. I do not think that the founders could have anticipated that the beauty of their invention might someday founder on the rocks of reality television, and that the Congress would be such willing accomplices to this calamity. Our most ardent enemies, doing their worst (and they are doing their worst), couldn’t hurt us more than we are hurting ourselves.

Now, you might reasonably ask, where is the good news in that?

Well, simply put: We may have hit bottom.

(Oh, and that’s also the bad news. In a rare convergence, the good news and bad news are the same — our leadership is not good, but it probably can’t get much worse.)

A culminating event such as the election of our current president scrambles normal binary notions of politics, and I am as disoriented as many of you are at this dealignment. We find that many of the day’s biggest issues simply don’t break down neatly to familiar ideas of left v. right, but rather more along these lines:

— Do you believe in democracy, or not?

— Are you faithful to your country, or to your party?

— Are you loyal to the law and the Constitution, or to a man?

— Do you reflexively ascribe the worst motives to your opponents, but somehow deny, excuse, or endorse every repulsive thing your compatriot says, does or tweets?

From my cautionary tale to you today, I urge you to challenge all of your assumptions, regularly. Recognize the good in your opponents. Apologize every now and then. Admit to mistakes. Forgive, and ask for forgiveness. Listen more. Speak up more, for politics sometimes keeps us silent when we should speak.

And if you find yourself in a herd, crane your neck, look back there and check out your brand, ask yourself if it really suits you. From personal experience, I can say that it’s never too late to leave the herd.

When you peel off from the herd, your equilibrium returns. Food tastes better. You sleep very well. Your mind is your own again. You cease being captive to some bad impulses and even worse ideas.

It can strain relationships, to be sure, and leave you eating alone in the senate dining room every now and then. But that’s okay. To revise and extend a remark the president himself may recognize: You might say that I like people whose minds weren’t captured.

That one was for you, Senator McCain. We’re all pulling for you.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Dig
Professor Participates
1  seeder  Dig    6 years ago
How did we arrive at a moment of such peril, wherein a president of the United States publicly threatens— on Fox & Friends, historians will note — to interfere in the administration of justice, and seems to think that the office confers on him the ability to decide who and what gets investigated, and who and what does not? And just this week, the President — offering an outlandish rationale, ordered an investigation into the investigation of the Russian attack on our electoral process — not to defend the country against further attacks, mind you, but to defend himself.

This entire speech is well worth reading. I highly recommend it.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
2  bbl-1    6 years ago

Exiting Senator Flake did speak the truth concerning the threats facing our democracy from this current administration.

However, Sen. Flake voted aye on every Trumpian initiative including Gorsuch on the court.  Puzzling.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  bbl-1 @2    6 years ago

Exactly. Flake talks the talk, but never walks the walk.

luther28
Sophomore Silent
2.1.1  luther28  replied to  Bob Nelson @2.1    6 years ago

Though I do agree, at least he is one of the few that is least opining aloud.

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
2.1.2  lennylynx  replied to  luther28 @2.1.1    6 years ago

Exactly, talking the talk is more than any other Republican is willing to do, and he's the only one calling Trump out for abusing his power by going after Mueller.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.1.3  Greg Jones  replied to  lennylynx @2.1.2    6 years ago

How can you call it abuse of power? Don't you think Obama's FBI and DOJ should be fully investigated for the parts they played in trying to overturn an election. That's not in their job description.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.1.4  Bob Nelson  replied to  luther28 @2.1.1    6 years ago
one of the few that is least opining aloud.

Talk is particularly cheap in Flake's case. He announced his retirement a long time ago, but has continued to vote strictly according to Trump's agenda.

Fireryone
Freshman Silent
2.1.5  Fireryone  replied to  Greg Jones @2.1.3    6 years ago
How can you call it abuse of power? Don't you think Obama's FBI and DOJ should be fully investigated for the parts they played in trying to overturn an election. That's not in their job description.

While I think that the idea that Obama instructed the DOJ and FBI to investigate trump is absurd...let's out all the information.  Get to the bottom of it all and let the cards fall where they will.

If it is revealed that Trumps campaign colluded with foreign governments to win the election and finds Obama did nothing wrong, would you believe it?

Probably not is my guess. 

owlsview677
Freshman Silent
2.1.6  owlsview677  replied to  Bob Nelson @2.1.4    6 years ago

Flake is nothing more than another two bit establishment type trying to make himself appear as something totally different as a platform for running for the Presidency.

It appears that many here on the left have already realized that. Non-establishment type Republicans have already washed their hands of him.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.1.7  Bob Nelson  replied to  owlsview677 @2.1.6    6 years ago

Flake for President?

What à horrible idea!

owlsview677
Freshman Silent
2.1.8  owlsview677  replied to  Bob Nelson @2.1.7    6 years ago

He wouldn't have any problem living up to his name.

Pollster Question: 'Would you want a Flake for President?'

Couldn't resist. Trolls would have a field day :)

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
2.1.9  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  owlsview677 @2.1.8    6 years ago
'Would you want a Flake for President?'

Well. considering about half the Americans voted in Obama and half voted in Trump perhaps 100 % would vote for one who is a real flake right up front.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.1.10  Bob Nelson  replied to  owlsview677 @2.1.8    6 years ago

Clapping

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
2.1.11  lennylynx  replied to  Bob Nelson @2.1.7    6 years ago

Hey, don't get me wrong, Bob, I totally agree with you and Owl about Flake, he's a total corporate flunky Republican, like they all are, but at least he's standing up for democracy and the rule of law.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.1.12  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Bob Nelson @2.1    6 years ago

Jeff Flake is well named as he is one big FLAKE! One of the least popular elected officials from AZ in DC. Cannot wait for this  bozo to be out of office!

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
2.1.13  bbl-1  replied to  Greg Jones @2.1.3    6 years ago

Wow!  And it was the Swiss that blew up The Maine in Havana Harbor too?

owlsview677
Freshman Silent
2.1.14  owlsview677  replied to  lennylynx @2.1.11    6 years ago
but at least he's standing up for democracy and the rule of law.

With rhetoric. Very easy populist image to create and assume. He will simultaneously shake your hand and kick you in the shins. The machine put one over on us when we sent him to the Senate, but actually he was the lessor of two evils. Seemed like a nice guy at first, can't wait to see him go.

most Arizonians wouldn't see him as a favorite son candidate.

luther28
Sophomore Silent
3  luther28    6 years ago

'We May Have Hit Bottom'

Oh we're about ten feet below bottom at this juncture and headed for hell.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4  It Is ME    6 years ago

Remember when "Commencement Addresses" WEREN'T political ?

'member ?

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
5  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu     6 years ago

'We May Have Hit Bottom'

I doubt it !