╌>

Putting America First Has Made USA No. 1

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  heartland-american  •  6 years ago  •  141 comments

Putting America First Has Made USA No. 1

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The left is quickly running out of excuses for why Donald Trump's economic policies have caused a boom rather than the bust that they predicted with such great certainty.

Last year, when the U.S. economy began to percolate with faster growth, the media and other Trump haters argued that this simply reflected a pickup in worldwide growth: Trump was riding the wave of what economists were calling "synchronized growth."

But now what do they have to say? The latest indicators are that, as a Wall Street Journal headline reported on June 3: "Global Economic-Growth Story Fades." Japan's growth rate is estimated to have slowed to slightly negative in the first quarter. The European Union was at an anemic 0.4 percent. The pace of global growth is expected to be much slower over the next two years, according to the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund.

Then there is the outlier: the United States. Here at home, growth is sizzling. Almost all economists now predict a growth rate of above 4 percent for the second quarter of 2018, and Dan Clifton of Strategas, one of the best forecasters of recent times, believes we may hit 5 percent later this year. He points to the surge of investment capital flowing into the United States and how the increased business spending points to several more quarters of this torrid growth. Meanwhile, the rest of the world treads water.

So much for synchronized swimming.

Then there is the argument that Trump's policies have nothing to do with the American prosperity burst. Politico's economics reporter recently published a column insisting that the "GOP tax cut is not why (the) economy is booming." He contemptuously added, "Economist are rolling their eyes at candidates' claims (that Trump's policies inspired faster growth)." Which economists?

As it happens, this is the same gang that was dead wrong about the likelihood of growth in the first place. Now they argue that the tax cuts are just kicking in and can't account for the increased economic activity. But this ignores the anticipatory effect: Businesses are anticipating the tax bill's lower rates on their profits and investments and making decisions accordingly.

Whatever the cause, it is undeniable that America has a new spring in its step. After a decade of malaise, the American economy is the envy of the world today. A recent Bloomberg article reports: "The U.S. dethroned Hong Kong to retake first place among the world's most competitive economies, thanks to faster economic growth and a supportive atmosphere for scientific and technological innovation, according to annual rankings by the Switzerland-based IMD World Competitiveness Center."

But the ultimate judges of all this are the American people -- the voters. They know something big is going on here.

In the years before the 2016 election, about 3 in 10 voters described the economy as good or great. This year, 7 in 10 do. That surge in optimism began immediately after Trump's election and hasn't subsided. The same trend is true for the confidence of small businesses and manufacturing businesses. Up, up and away.

Perhaps the best news of all is to think that maybe Trump's critics are right that the economic thrust from the tax cut hasn't even kicked in yet. If that's true, then buckle up, because we're in for a hell of a ride.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1  seeder  XXJefferson51    6 years ago

“Whatever the cause, it is undeniable that America has a new spring in its step. After a decade of malaise, the American economy is the envy of the world today. A recent Bloomberg article reports: "The U.S. dethroned Hong Kong to retake first place among the world's most competitive economies, thanks to faster economic growth and a supportive atmosphere for scientific and technological innovation, according to annual rankings by the Switzerland-based IMD World Competitiveness Center."

But the ultimate judges of all this are the American people -- the voters. They know something big is going on here.

In the years before the 2016 election, about 3 in 10 voters described the economy as good or great. This year, 7 in 10 do. That surge in optimism began immediately after Trump's election and hasn't subsided. The same trend is true for the confidence of small businesses and manufacturing businesses. Up, up and away.

Perhaps the best news of all is to think that maybe Trump's critics are right that the economic thrust from the tax cut hasn't even kicked in yet.”

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2  seeder  XXJefferson51    6 years ago

It is always wise to put America first. We are an exceptional nation, a beacon of light to the world, a shining city on a hill and the #1 nation in the world.  Our growth in energy, jobs, and wages is leading us to consumer and small business confidence low unemployment and has made us first in global competitiveness.  Keep America Great!  

luther28
Sophomore Silent
2.1  luther28  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2    6 years ago

We are no more exceptional than any other peoples and Mr. Trump has managed to pull the shade down on your beacon of light. If the shenanigans over the past couple of years are an example of making America great, then I'll take mediocrity and civility.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  luther28 @2.1    6 years ago

Only progressive democrats deny the exceptional nature of the great country we are blessed to live in. On the right, we’re proud to be Americans.  

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.2  Ozzwald  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1.1    6 years ago
On the right, we’re proud to be Americans.

Not according to your posts during the Obama administration.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
2.1.3  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.2    6 years ago

NT conservatives have no comment when it comes to discussions about things NT conservatives said and did during the Obama administration.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.2    6 years ago

Some people seem to confuse love for America with love for a President.

It is possible to love the country and not agree with a President's policies.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.5  Texan1211  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @2.1.3    6 years ago

From what I have seen, most of the conservatives here came over AFTER Trump was elected. And when Newsvine shut down.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
2.1.6  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.5    6 years ago

This place has ALWAYS had its share of conservatives, but it really doesn't matter where you guys were espousing your hypocrisy.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.7  Tessylo  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @2.1.6    6 years ago
'This place has ALWAYS had its share of conservatives, but it really doesn't matter where you guys were espousing your hypocrisy.'

Clapping

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.8  Texan1211  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @2.1.6    6 years ago

I didn't say no conservatives were here. Most of the ones I see posting came here from Newsvine.

And we are the ones the oldtimers here seem to dislike the most.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1.9  It Is ME  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.4    6 years ago

I think you just pissed off a few Liberals  ! confused

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.10  Tessylo  replied to  It Is ME @2.1.9    6 years ago
'I think you just pissed off a few Liberals  !'

Nope.  He doesn't have that power over anyone.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.11  Texan1211  replied to  It Is ME @2.1.9    6 years ago

No action on my part necessary.

It appears to be a perpetual state with some of them.

I think it started sometime on November 8, 2016, probably around 11 p.m. Central time.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1.12  It Is ME  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.11    6 years ago

"The left is quickly running out of excuse"

The Left "Ran Out of EVERYTHING" back in 2010.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1.13  It Is ME  replied to  Tessylo @2.1.10    6 years ago
Nope.

Yep !

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.14  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @2.1.10    6 years ago

laughing dude

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.15  Ozzwald  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.11    6 years ago

No action on my part necessary.

It appears to be a perpetual state with some of them.

I think it started sometime on November 8, 2016, probably around 11 p.m. Central time.

It appears that since Heartland is unable to answer or respond to my comment, you are attempting to deflect and derail this thread to avoid the embarrassment that Heartland has cornered himself with.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.16  Ozzwald  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.4    6 years ago

This is very interesting.  This is the 2nd thread now, that you have replied to a comment of mine, with a reply that shows that you were unable to understand what I said. 

You may go by the name of Texan1211, but your response show a distinct lack of comprehension of the English language, almost like it is a 2nd language to you.  I don't know what other reason there would be for you to so misunderstand the simple, short, comments that you are responding to.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.17  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.15    6 years ago

I don't give a shit what you "THINK" it "appears" to be.

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.18  Ender  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.8    6 years ago

Almost every one here is from NV. Even Perrie, who founded this place.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.19  Texan1211  replied to  Ender @2.1.18    6 years ago

So my statement is true---even according to you.

Thanks!

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.20  Ender  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.19    6 years ago

Yes a lot of people came after the demise, yet a lot also held duel citizenship. Some used both sites simultaneously. Some once they came here early on, hardly ever went back, some never went back.

But generally speaking, most of us have have a common ancestor.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
2.1.21  cjcold  replied to  It Is ME @2.1.12    6 years ago

Not that I am one of the "left" but as a long time political observer, I've noticed that what comes around, goes around. Far right wing fascism that obviously now rules, will be gone in 15 minutes.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.22  Ozzwald  replied to  cjcold @2.1.21    6 years ago
Far right wing fascism that obviously now rules, will be gone in 15 minutes.

Over due then.  Already been 25 minutes.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1.24  It Is ME  replied to  cjcold @2.1.21    6 years ago
Far right wing fascism that obviously now rules

What makes it Fascism ?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.25  Texan1211  replied to  It Is ME @2.1.24    6 years ago

Well, uh......hmmm......well, uh....uh oh, yeah...TRUMP, RIGHTWINGERS, CONSERVATIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1.26  It Is ME  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.25    6 years ago

That's about it. chuckle

Oh, and actually enforcing the "Illegal" immigration laws THIS COUNTRY..... both Democrats and Republicans .... enacted. That's a biggy fascism moment for sure. thumbs up

luther28
Sophomore Silent
2.1.27  luther28  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1.1    6 years ago

Though perhaps moderately progressive, not a Democrat just sane.

Would you care to try for double jeopardy?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.28  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  It Is ME @2.1.24    6 years ago

To many but not all progressives, any expression of patriotism or love of our country as an exceptional nation or saying that America is the best country founded by mankind in our history, or to claim that we are number one in any positive stat or trait, or to give God any credit for who and what we were, are, or will become is to them, fascism.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3  Tessylo    6 years ago

Donald Rump puts Donald Rump first.  

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1  It Is ME  replied to  Tessylo @3    6 years ago
Donald Rump puts Donald Rump first.

I hope he keeps doing that then. Seems it's working for me.....and a lot of others too.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Tessylo  replied to  It Is ME @3.1    6 years ago

That makes no sense, surprise surprise!

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3.1.2  Greg Jones  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.1    6 years ago

Comment makes no sense, and not a surprise. Makes No Sense

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1.3  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  It Is ME @3.1    6 years ago

America and the American people are greatly benefitting from the America first actions of our President. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.4  Tessylo  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.1.3    6 years ago

'America and the American people are greatly benefitting from the America first actions of our President.' How so?

lady in black
Professor Quiet
3.1.5  lady in black  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.4    6 years ago

Don't know but they'll think of some bs to spew.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.6  It Is ME  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.1    6 years ago
That makes no sense, surprise surprise!

Why am I not surprised ! not listening

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.1.8  Ozzwald  replied to  XDm9mm @3.1.7    6 years ago
Lower taxes,

For the top 5%.  You've already spent what ever meager amount you have gained from the tax cuts.

more jobs, greater job growth,

Not if you measure unemployment the way Trump did for the 8 years prior to him, by that measure unemployment is growing.  Even if you want to be hypocritical and measure it the way he was opposed to, job growth is slowing after only 1 year of Trump.

significantly greater improvements in the markets

Which markets?  Stock exchange is no longer showing the steady growth it was earlier.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
3.1.9  cjcold  replied to  Ozzwald @3.1.8    6 years ago

Seems Obama made good things happen for We the People and Trump is taking credit for those good things while at the same time erasing them.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.1.11  Ozzwald  replied to  XDm9mm @3.1.10    6 years ago
One needs to earn money to pay taxes.   Those at the loser income levels were effectively paying no federal income taxes before the cuts, so what would you want.....   more earned tax credits?

I'm talking middle class, I have no clue what you're talking about.

Keep up.  Unemployment is at near record lows. 

Ahh, so you are being a hypocrite.

The markets are still doing better than they had been.

And now the lie, markets are still moving up, but not as quickly and much more erratically.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
3.1.13  A. Macarthur  replied to  Ozzwald @3.1.11    6 years ago
Keep up.  Unemployment is at near record lows.

UNDEREMPLOYMENT is at an all-time HIGH!

Definition  of  underemployment . 1 : the condition in which people in a labor force are employed at less than full-time or regular jobs or at jobs inadequate with respect to their training or economic needs.  

Nearly half of U.S. workers consider themselves underemployed, according to a survey of more than 960,000 people by PayScale, an online provider of salary information.

Three-quarters of those who label themselves as such say they're not working in a job that uses their education and training. One quarter say they are working part time but want full-time work.

Measuring underemployment gives a fuller picture of the nation's labor situation than the government's monthly  unemployment rate , which was down to a pre-recession 4.7 percent in May.

Taking into account people who were working part time because they couldn't find full-time jobs as well as discouraged people who stopped looking, the rate was 9.7 percent, still above pre-recession levels of 8.4 percent, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
3.1.15  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  XDm9mm @3.1.14    6 years ago
It's from the OBAMA era:

I see you're ignoring the completely unemployed rate of 15% Obama inherited from the G.W. Bush era. It's amazing what short memories Republicans have.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1.17  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  XDm9mm @3.1.12    6 years ago

The left is in total denial as to the strength of the economy and to the benefits of lower taxes, fewer regulations, and more domestic energy production. They pretend the rebound in manufacturing and the recent wage increases never happened.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1.18  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  A. Macarthur @3.1.13    6 years ago

Didn’t over 600,000 part time jobs disappear last month replaced by about 900,000 full time jobs?  That long term obama part time job creator has been replaced.  

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.19  Ender  replied to  XDm9mm @3.1.14    6 years ago

Let's take a walk down memory lane and remember a few times Trump trashed the jobs numbers as “fake,” incomplete or something other than the right way to determine whether America had been made “great again.”

Sep. 7, 2012

“Unemployment rate only dropped because more people are out of labor force & have stopped looking for work. Not a real recovery, phony numbers”

Oct. 19, 2012
"7.8% unemployment number is a complete fraud as evidenced by the jobless claims number released yesterday. Real unemployment is at least 15%”

Aug. 11, 2013
“We can rev up this economy like it should be, not with false numbers like 7.4 percent unemployment. But with real numbers.”

May 31, 2014
“Unemployment is a totally phony number.”

June 16, 2015
“Our real unemployment is anywhere from 18 to 20 percent. Don't believe the 5.6. Don't believe it.”

Aug. 11, 2015
“Then you hear there's a 5.4 percent unemployment. It's really — if you add it up, it's probably 40 percent if you think about it.”

Aug. 30, 2015
“They show those phony statistics where we are 5.4 percent unemployment. The real number, I saw a number that could be 42 percent, believe it or not.”

Sept. 28, 2015
“I hear 5.3 percent unemployment, that is the biggest joke there is in this country. That number is so false.”

Sept. 29, 2015
“The number is not reflective. I have seen numbers of 24 percent. I saw a number of 42 percent unemployment. … That number is so false.”

Oct. 9, 2015
“They say 5.3 percent employment. The number is probably 32 percent.”

Oct. 11, 2015
“Nobody has jobs. … It is not a real economy. It is a phony set of numbers. They cooked the books.”

Jan. 17, 2016
“Look again, you hear these phony jobs numbers? People that gave up looking for jobs? They are considered employed.”

Feb. 9, 2016
“Don't believe those phony numbers when you hear 4.9 and 5 percent unemployment. As high as 35 — as in fact, I heard recently, 42 percent.”

March 12, 2016
“The numbers are phony. These are all phony numbers. Numbers given to politicians to look good. These are phony numbers.”

May 24, 2016
“You hear a 5 percent unemployment rate. It's such a phony number. That number was put in for presidents and for politicians so that they look good to the people.”

July 7, 2016
“The phony 5 percent numbers that we hear about with the unemployment.”

Aug. 8, 2016
“The 5 percent figure is one of the biggest hoaxes in modern politics.”

Nov. 4, 2016
“The terrible jobs report that just came out … you can see phony numbers, 5 percent.”

Dec. 8, 2016
“The unemployment number, as you know, is totally fiction.”

Link

Funny that the numbers were always wrong or fiction, now they are real.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
3.1.21  MrFrost  replied to  XDm9mm @3.1.7    6 years ago
Lower taxes

Have you seen the price of gas lately? Buh bye tax break! 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.22  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @3.1.8    6 years ago

S & P 500 I sup over 500 points since Trump took office. Will that market do?

How about NASDAQ? It is up over 2100 points since Trump took office.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.23  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @3.1.21    6 years ago

Surely you don't believe that gas prices have risen because of TAX BREAKS???

MrFrost
Professor Expert
3.1.24  MrFrost  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.23    6 years ago

That's not at all what I said, I am saying that any miniscule tax breaks the middle class may have seen is gone because of the price of gas....which trump influences... Save it, When Obama took office, the right wing was up in arms about the price of gas and blamed Obama, (then when it dropped, of course, the right said he had nothing to do with it). 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
3.1.25  MrFrost  replied to  XDm9mm @3.1.14    6 years ago

Trump said the unemployment rate was 42% just before the election...but it magically dropped to 4.5% as soon as he was sworn in... Weird huh?!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.27  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @3.1.24    6 years ago

And didn't the left claim Obama had no control over gas prices? Sure they did--but  now Trump does?

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.28  Ender  replied to  XDm9mm @3.1.20    6 years ago

MeasureNot seasonally adjustedSeasonally adjustedMay
2017Apr.
2018May
2018May
2017Jan.
2018Feb.
2018Mar.
2018Apr.
2018May

U-1 Persons unemployed 15 weeks or longer, as a percent of the civilian labor force

1.8 1.5 1.4 1.7 1.5 1.4 1.4 1.4 1.3

U-2 Job losers and persons who completed temporary jobs, as a percent of the civilian labor force

1.9 1.7 1.5 2.1 2.0 2.0 1.9 1.8 1.8

U-3 Total unemployed, as a percent of the civilian labor force (official unemployment rate)

4.1 3.7 3.6 4.3 4.1 4.1 4.1 3.9 3.8

U-4 Total unemployed plus discouraged workers, as a percent of the civilian labor force plus discouraged workers

4.3 3.9 3.8 4.5 4.4 4.4 4.3 4.2 4.0

U-5 Total unemployed, plus discouraged workers, plus all other persons marginally attached to the labor force, as a percent of the civilian labor force plus all persons marginally attached to the labor force

5.0 4.5 4.4 5.2 5.1 5.1 4.9 4.7 4.6

U-6 Total unemployed, plus all persons marginally attached to the labor force, plus total employed part time for economic reasons, as a percent of the civilian labor force plus all persons marginally attached to the labor force

8.1 7.4 7.3 8.4 8.2 8.2 8.0 7.8 7.6

Link

The U6 is 7.6

FT_17.03.06_unemployment_part_time.png

Link

If you can find some recent numbers, feel free to post them.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.29  Texan1211  replied to  Ender @3.1.28    6 years ago

If you can find better unemployment numbers in the last 50 years, please post them.

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.30  Ender  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.29    6 years ago

Thought we were talking about something else, as you pointed out.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
3.1.31  MrFrost  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.27    6 years ago

So all you did was say what I said, and flipped it around. In other words you used the, "I know you are but what am I", argument. LOL

The president's energy policies DO affect the price of fuel. During Obama's time in office, we became an EXPORTER of oil, not importer, so the price of gas dropped...big time. He also ended the war in Afghanistan, which drove the prices lower. The price of gas is on the rise again, some is due to summer approaching, granted, but as a percentage, it's going up a lot more than what is "average". 

gaspricesovertime.png

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
3.1.32  A. Macarthur  replied to  XDm9mm @3.1.14    6 years ago

There are two dates … the date on the masthead is 2018.

But I will check further and if the numbers are outdated, I will acknowledge that.

Explorerdog
Freshman Silent
3.1.34  Explorerdog  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.6    6 years ago

perfect emoji for the right, when you can't refute it tune it out.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.35  It Is ME  replied to  Explorerdog @3.1.34    6 years ago

ooooo….GOOD ONE ! 

I'll call that an "OUCHIE" moment ? Party

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
3.1.36  A. Macarthur  replied to  XDm9mm @3.1.14    6 years ago

The point regarding UNDEREMPLOYMENT is as follows … 

Academics blame low wage growth on underemployment

April 16, 2018,   University of Stirling

Employees looking for a hike in salary have lost their bargaining power because of a rise in underemployment, according to a new paper by University of Stirling economists.

Read more at: 

The Unemployment Rate percentage is deceptive when taken by itself to indicate a healthy job market; when wage disparity and low wage growth increase simultaneously, "unemployment" alone is not an accurate indicator of the economy as it affects the working class!

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.37  It Is ME  replied to  A. Macarthur @3.1.36    6 years ago
The Unemployment Rate percentage is deceptive when taken by itself to indicate a healthy job market;

Did they purposely note that during Obama's presidency too ? thinking

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
3.1.39  arkpdx  replied to  A. Macarthur @3.1.36    6 years ago
The Unemployment Rate percentage is deceptive when taken by itself to indicate a healthy job market

It interesting that during the Obama years you (editorial not necessarily personal) on the left kept praising him for the unemployment rate and when it was pointed out to you that the numbers were not necessarily accurate or reflective of the economy and that there was substantial underemployment, we were told that those "opinions" only made because of a hatred of Obama. Gee what happened to change your tune? 

Another thing is the left says everything positive that is happening to the economy is not Trumps doing but because if actions of Obama. Anything negative,  no matter how trivial,  is solely Trumps fault

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
3.1.41  A. Macarthur  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.37    6 years ago

Did they purposely note that during Obama's presidency too ?

Did you note it under Trump's Presidency?

It's not a political phenomenon, it's an economic one. Every administration that tries to tout a "low" unemployment number does so deceptively by not mentioning the underemployment number!

Otherwise, how's the fishing?

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
3.1.42  A. Macarthur  replied to  XDm9mm @3.1.38    6 years ago

are to use American sources as you're obviously claiming American underemployment?

University of StirlingStirlingFK9 4LAScotland UK

The phenomenon is an economic universal one … AGAIN … the point being that all administrations touting so-called "low unemployment" numbers do so disingenuously by not noting underemployment.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.43  It Is ME  replied to  A. Macarthur @3.1.41    6 years ago
Did you note it under Trump's Presidency?

It never came up with me. Shrug. Disappointment

I have noted that it seems, according to the media, there are more jobs than people available this year.

I've also heard that companies are actually raising some hourly rates, without Big Gov. telling them to.

But again, I get that from the MSM.

Again…..did YOU note it under "8 Years" of Obama. You do remember the praise heaped on him for "Job Growth and pay".... constantly .....right ?

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
3.1.45  A. Macarthur  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.43    6 years ago

Again…..did YOU note it under "8 Years" of Obama. You do remember the praise heaped on him for "Job Growth and pay".... constantly .....right ?

Same response … the failure to include UNDEREMPLOYMENT in the "UNEMPLOYMENT NUMBER" when touting "LOW UNEMPLOYMENT," is disingenuous regardless of which administration fails to do so.

In terms of ACTUAL JOB GROWTH whether or not underemployment is factored into the unemployment percentage, after the Bush sub-prime scandal, the job number increase under Obama and the economic recovery impetus … is what Trump tries to credit to himself …

JAN 6, 2018 @ 03:12 AM   57,756   2 Free Issues of Forbes

President Trump's First Year Of Job Growth Was Below President Obama's Last Six Years

2017 saw the most anemic job growth in America since Obama’s first term, when the economy was pulling out of the Great Recession he inherited from George W. Bush.

“U.S. job gains slowed by more than forecast in December, wage growth picked up slightly and the unemployment rate held at the lowest level since 2000, adding to signs of a full-employment economy,”  Bloomberg reported . “The job gains, while less than forecast, bring the 2017 total to 2.06 million jobs — below 2016.”

Even Trump’s favorite TV network — Fox News, which largely covers him uncritically — acknowledges that average monthly job gains during Trump’s first year were the least since 2010.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.46  It Is ME  replied to  A. Macarthur @3.1.45    6 years ago

So Obama gets a 6 year lame kudos, but Trump only gets 1 year and is considered a failure ?

Doesn't seem fair to me....does it to you ?

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.47  Ender  replied to  XDm9mm @3.1.44    6 years ago

I looked at your link and I wouldn't call it plummeting. In one year it dropped .2%

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.48  Tessylo  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.46    6 years ago

Life isn't fair dude.  

Donald Rump has accomplished dick in his 1 year as president.  When he accomplishes something - let us know.  

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.49  It Is ME  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.48    6 years ago
Life isn't fair dude.

Liberal Politicians think it should be. Fair Trade, Fair Pay, Fair taxes, Fair Housing, Fair schooling ........ Fair EVERYTHING.

They even think it's Fair to shut down someone that doesn't agree with Liberal/Progressive ideas. Remember the racist, bigot, misogynist STUFF if one disagrees ? 

You may think President Donald J. Trump hasn't accomplished....how did you put it......Dick..... but he really has.

If he hasn't accomplished.....Dick.....what are you always complaining about then. I think he really did "Accomplish" things, or you wouldn't have so many things to complain about. Thumbs Up 2  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.50  Tessylo  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.49    6 years ago

No Value,,  {SP}

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.51  It Is ME  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.50    6 years ago

No Value,  {SP}

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
3.1.52  A. Macarthur  replied to  XDm9mm @3.1.44    6 years ago

So if it's UNIVERSAL, why are you getting your panties in a bunch and putting the onus on Trump?

Besides, did you even bother to look at the plummeting underemployed numbers in the link I provided?

You questioned the source as being "not American," hence I explained the irrelevance of your citing that.

The onus is on EVERY ADMINISTRATION THAT TRIES TO TOUT ITS RESPONSIBILITY FOR A LOW UNEMPLOYMENT NUMBER WITHOUT EXPLAINING UNDEREMPLOYMENT AS PART OF THE NUMBER.

I already noted that, so, it's YOUR panties in the wedgie … and is it possible for you to ever debate without tossing in an ad hominem cheap shot?

cjcold
Professor Quiet
3.1.53  cjcold  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.1.3    6 years ago

Is that why everybody in the free world hates Trump and America these days?

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
3.1.57  arkpdx  replied to  XDm9mm @3.1.56    6 years ago

I'm betting help was needed. 

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.58  Ender  replied to  XDm9mm @3.1.55    6 years ago

What I said was correct. For the year shown, only a drop of .2%.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
3.1.59  A. Macarthur  replied to  XDm9mm @3.1.54    6 years ago

Maybe you missed the FULL EMPLOYMENT part?

Then again, you missed the UNDEREMPLOYMENT part; a minimum wage job is a job … but one person needing to work three such jobs … is employed … 

Full employment  means that everyone who wants a job have all the hours of work they need on "fair wages" . [1]

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
3.1.60  Dean Moriarty  replied to  A. Macarthur @3.1.59    6 years ago

Free market wages are fair wages. Same as when someone sells a good or service. The market sets the price. The employee is selling his service and has to price himself competitively just like his employer does. Artificially inflating the wage drives the customers towards imports and kills businesses here. That’s how the unions killed so much of our manufacturing in this country. 

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
3.1.61  A. Macarthur  replied to  Dean Moriarty @3.1.60    6 years ago

Artificially inflating the wage drives the customers towards imports and kills businesses here. That’s how the unions killed so much of our manufacturing in this country. 

Suppressing wages erodes consumerism which is responsible for 70% of the American economy. And if FREE TRADE is the way to go, someone needs to tell Mr. Trump that tariffs are killers.

Actually, tariffs never protect jobs for the nation as a whole. But tariffs do always increase prices for consumers throughout the country. 

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
3.1.62  Dean Moriarty  replied to  A. Macarthur @3.1.61    6 years ago

And many are, even his advisor Kudlow has spoken out against tariffs on many occasions. 

Did you notice Trump was surrounded by union people when he signed the steel tariffs? They are the ones pushing for protectionism and tariffs. 

2D245037876C414EAF110A50CA5E6AF6.jpeg

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
3.1.63  A. Macarthur  replied to  Dean Moriarty @3.1.62    6 years ago

Poll: Trump support among union members

has fallen 15 points

President Trump's's support among America's union workers has dropped 15 points in just a year, according to a  Reuters–Ipsos  poll released Friday.

The president enjoyed an all-time high of more than 60 percent support among union workers in the same poll last March, an unusually strong number for a Republican.

But his support among the demographic has dropped steadily nearly every month since then,  Reuters reports , despite his pursuit of trade tariffs that labor unions have traditionally supported.

Trump's support among union workers now sits at 47 percent, down from its all-time high of 62 percent, according to the poll. April numbers have not yet been released.

A graph released by Reuters notes that Trump tended to win union supporters in areas of the country, such as the Southwest and the Carolinas, where union workers make up a smaller percentage of the overall workforce.

Democrats are working hard to win back union voters, a bloc that has typically been a stronghold for them, ahead of the 2018 midterm elections. Party strategists are hoping to avoid a repeat of 2016, which saw many union workers flipping from supporting President Obama just four years earlier to supporting Trump.

"There was a collapse of union support,” said former AFL-CIO political director Steve Rosenthal.

Democratic nominee   Hillary Clinton   won 8 percent more of the union vote than Trump in 2016, a victory that was still a significant double-digit drop in support from unions' support for Obama's reelection campaign in 2012.

Her husband, former President   Bill Clinton , won a 30-point advantage among union households in 1992 during his successful run for president.

The Reuters–Ipsos poll contacts 902–1,558 union members every month, and carries a margin of error of 3–4 percentage points for union member questions.

lib50
Professor Silent
4  lib50    6 years ago

Hard to take this seriously.  The only thing Trump and republicans have put first is themselves.  The USA has lost credibility, respect and trust throughout the world.  Live in a bubble if you must, but only republican Trumpers believe Trump knows his ass from a hole in the ground, the rest of the world sees exactly what he is, a narcissistic ignorant liar who can't be bothered to learn even the basics about governing and thinks he knows it all.  Truly the naked emperor, as the cheering crowds enable his obliviousness. We ain't buying, feel free to enjoy his circus show though.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5  Tessylo    6 years ago

'And it appears to have been successful. Admittedly, it's still early in the game, but it's looking good from the sidelines.'

'We'll see what happens'

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
6  Dismayed Patriot    6 years ago

So we've been #1 in GDP for years, even with the nearly -3% GDP growth at the end of the last Republicans two terms, and saw our economy and stock market enjoy never before seen heights and unemployment dropping to a 16 year low under Obama. When exactly have we not been #1? If you break things down enough you can find a category where we weren't #1 which this sad sycophantic opinion piece does.

"The U.S. dethroned Hong Kong to retake first place among the world's most competitive economies"

So they ignore the overall numbers where we were already stronger than any other nation, hell Russia has a GDP comparative to Mexico which is a measly $1.2 trillion. California alone has a $2.4 trillion GDP, double that of Russia.

It's sad that so many so-called Americans complained about being first in virtually every category claiming we weren't "great" anymore even though the facts prove them demonstrably wrong just because their little pocket of the country had chosen to keep doing things the old way and refused to join the rest of us in the businesses of the future. But those are the base Trump played to, the bitter rats being led by the clownish pied piper, too stupid to realize they've been had. Coal jobs aren't coming back, their desperate situations are not getting better even though they were given false hope and keep supporting the abject failure in the oval office as he gives away American global leadership for a handful of supposedly magic North Korean beans. Trump is turning what was the #1 leader in the world setting the agenda and putting western democracy first into a steaming pile of #2.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
7  MrFrost    6 years ago

Townhall - Right Biashttps://i0.wp.com/mediabiasfactcheck.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/right06.png?w=700&ssl=1 700w, 300w" sizes="(max-width: 700px) 100vw, 700px"> RIGHT BIAS

These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward conservative causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage conservative causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy.   See all Right Bias sources.

Factual Reporting:  MIXED

Notes:   Townhall is an American politically conservative website and print magazine. Previously published by the   Heritage Foundation . The website also publishes news articles from the   Associated Press . Townhall has a right wing bias through story selection and sensational wording of headlines. However, they do tend to source their news content well. Opinion pieces have a very strong right wing bias. Further, a Townhall editor has also published a   Pants of Fire claim . Overall, we rate Townhall right biased in story selection and wording and mixed for factual reporting based on a failed fact check. (7/19/2016) Updated (2/9/2018)

Source: 

How shocking... 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @7    6 years ago

And yet, for all of the trashing of the SOURCE, not ONE thing about how the NUMBERS are wrong.

Imagine my shock!

MrFrost
Professor Expert
7.1.1  MrFrost  replied to  Texan1211 @7.1    6 years ago

Factual Reporting: MIXED

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
7.1.2  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  MrFrost @7.1.1    6 years ago

I get my radio news from Town Hall Radio News.  They do a great job.  

MrFrost
Professor Expert
7.1.3  MrFrost  replied to  XXJefferson51 @7.1.2    6 years ago

Because they tell you what you want to hear, not the truth.. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
7.1.4  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  MrFrost @7.1.3    6 years ago

Deleted, dishonest statement  {SP}

Do not present as true that which is known to be false.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
7.1.5  MrFrost  replied to  XXJefferson51 @7.1.4    6 years ago

Deleted, skirting  {SP}

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.1.6  Tessylo  replied to  XXJefferson51 @7.1.2    6 years ago

'I  get my radio news from Town Hall Radio News.  They do a great job.'

Sounds like the American Stinker's version of a radio station.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
7.1.7  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Tessylo @7.1.6    6 years ago

Town Hall News is a top of the hour radio news service that plays between hours of the various radio talk shows.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1.8  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @7.1.1    6 years ago

Please, for just ONCE----provide proof that the numbers are wrong. 

Otherwise, you are merely exhibiting your right-wing hatred.

Are the numbers wrong or NOT????????????????????????????????????????

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1.10  Texan1211  replied to  XDm9mm @7.1.9    6 years ago

removed for context

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
7.1.11  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  XXJefferson51 @7.1.4    6 years ago

Then it wasn’t a sweeping generalization was it? 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
7.1.12  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  XXJefferson51 @7.1.4    6 years ago

CoC violation "BF"

Next time you edit a moderated comment you will get a 2 day vacation to think about it

pat wilson
Professor Participates
7.1.13  pat wilson  replied to  XXJefferson51 @7.1.12    6 years ago

bump

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
7.1.14  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  XXJefferson51 @7.1.12    6 years ago

The purple used to say that it was a great example of a sweeping generalization without using the word all in it..  now it says I knowingly made a proven false statement and presented it as the truth as opposed to simply freely expressing my opinion which it seems I’m not entitled to.  

pat wilson
Professor Participates
7.1.15  pat wilson  replied to  XXJefferson51 @7.1.14    6 years ago

Stop trying to ruin this site with the vile sludge you purport to be rational opinion. The BS needs to stop now !

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
7.1.16  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  pat wilson @7.1.15    6 years ago

Because putting America first and reporting about America being #1 is vile sludge and irrational opinion to the domestic political left.  

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
7.1.17  arkpdx  replied to  pat wilson @7.1.15    6 years ago

Reporting that the USA is number one and the best country in the world is "vile sludge" to you? 

Unbelievable! 

Heartland,  please keep up the good work! 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
7.1.18  Split Personality  replied to  XXJefferson51 @7.1.14    6 years ago

You challenged my judgement after multiple members challenged your statement that a website/ radio station can be 100% truthful.

You said

They tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. 

I said

Nice example of  a Sweeping generalization without the word "all".

You protested that it wasn't sweeping, I changed it to dishonest,

because no human radio station, website or op ed opinion piece  can be equivalent to God's word/truth, period.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
7.1.19  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Split Personality @7.1.18    6 years ago

You really took the statement we all swear to in court and made a federal case out of it?  Why?  Do we all lie when we do that?  I’m stunned that you would take a humor line and use it to call me a liar after I protested it wasn’t a sweeping generalization.  What has this place come to if the generic term tell the truth,the whole truth and nothing but the truth can be struck down in such a partisan manner based on complaints from a different point of view?  And I thought sweeping generalizations was meant to prevent wholesale attacks on all with a particular view.  Now it seems it’s used to censor the opposition when they simply defend an aspect of their own point of view.  I don’t think that’s what the coc had in mind.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
7.1.20  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  arkpdx @7.1.17    6 years ago

I will do my level best to do so.  Thanks for the props.  I bow to youthumbs up

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
7.1.21  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Split Personality @7.1.18    6 years ago

Please clear that up with BF.  He seems to be under the impression that I somehow edited your comments that you edited as you say above.  

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
8  A. Macarthur    6 years ago

REALITY!

The richest Americans, those in the 95th percentile or above (meaning they earn  $308,900 or more  come the year 2025) do very well, seeing a boost of more than 3 percent to their after-tax incomes. That’s primarily a result of reductions in their individual income tax rates and a big cut to taxes on corporations, which are disproportionately owned by wealthy individuals.

But the very poorest Americans see a fall in their after-tax income that is almost as large. That is almost entirely the result of the law’s repeal of the Affordable Care Act’s individual mandate. The Congressional Budget Office has estimated that  repealing the mandate will lead to 13 million fewer people having insurance  over the course of a decade, with much of that reduction coming among the poorest Americans eligible for Medicaid. Fewer people signed up for Medicaid and subsidized Obamacare coverage means lower effective incomes for poor Americans.

And the only individuals given any deference  when it comes to paying for Trump's extravagances … like …

TRUMP'S TRIPS TO MAR-A-LAGO COST TAXPAYERS AT LEAST

$6.6 MILLION IN 2017: REPORT

… are the wealthy and the corporate types … those HELPED BY THE TAX CUTS … ALTHOUGH THEY'RE THE ONES WHO DID NOT NEED THE HELP!

(Removed off topic portion) Telo

Ender
Professor Principal
8.1  Ender  replied to  A. Macarthur @8    6 years ago
Can't wait to see the well thought-out, point-counter-point rebuttals.

Haaha. Always end with a joke eh? 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
8.1.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Ender @8.1    6 years ago

It wasn’t the end that was the joke....

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
8.1.2  A. Macarthur  replied to  XXJefferson51 @8.1.1    6 years ago
It wasn’t the end that was the joke....
Your idea of a rebuttal is the only joke in conjunction with my comment; when you have nothing substantive or specific to say in response to a highly specific post, rather than emulate Trump, just say nothing.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
8.1.3  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  A. Macarthur @8.1.2    6 years ago

The political left would it seem prefer that their political opposition say nothing than point out the weakness of their point of view.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
9  seeder  XXJefferson51    6 years ago

USA 🇺🇸 ! USA 🇺🇸!  USA 🇺🇸!  We’re number 1!  Nothing like taking back the top spot we were wrongly denied for eight years by our own prior executive branch.  We did MAGA!  And now we are going to Keep America Great!  🇺🇸 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
9.1  Raven Wing  replied to  XXJefferson51 @9    6 years ago

laughing dude  BlahBlahBlah  LOL

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
9.1.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Raven Wing @9.1    6 years ago

You laugh about keeping America great? 

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
9.1.2  lennylynx  replied to  XXJefferson51 @9.1.1    6 years ago

No HA, she's laughing at you for thinking Trump is doing so.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
9.1.3  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  lennylynx @9.1.2    6 years ago

He is doing so.  Clappingla de da