╌>

EXCLUSIVE: 'They're together and they're safe.' Father of Honduran two-year-old speaks out

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  spikegary  •  6 years ago  •  19 comments

EXCLUSIVE: 'They're together and they're safe.' Father of Honduran two-year-old speaks out

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The father of the Honduran girl who became the face of the family separation crisis has revealed that he still has not been in touch with his wife or daughter but was happy to learn they are safe. 

Denis Javier Varela Hernandez, 32, said that he had not heard from his wife Sandra, 32, who was with his two-year-old daughter Yanela Denise, for nearly three weeks until he saw the image of them being apprehended in Texas.

In an exclusive interview with DailyMail.com, Hernandez, who lives in Puerto Cortes, Honduras, says that he was told yesterday that his wife and child are being detained at a family residential center in Texas but are together and are doing 'fine.'

'You can imagine how I felt when I saw that photo of my daughter. It broke my heart. It's difficult as a father to see that, but I know now that they are not in danger. They are safer now than when they were making that journey to the border,' he said. Denis said his wife and daughter were never separated by border control agents and remain together.

He revealed that his wife had previously mentioned her wish to go to the United States for a 'better future' but did not tell him nor any of their family members that she was planning to make the trek.

'I didn't support it. I asked her, why? Why would she want to put our little girl through that? But it was her decision at the end of the day.'

He said that Sandra had always wanted to experience 'the American dream' and hoped to find a good job in the States.

Denis, who works as a captain at a port on the coast of Puerto Cortes, explained that things back home were fine but not great, and that his wife was seeking political asylum.

He said that Sandra set out on the 1,800-mile journey with the baby girl on June 3, at 6am, and he has not heard from her since.

'I never got the chance to say goodbye to my daughter and now all I can do is wait', he said, adding that he hopes they are either granted political asylum or are sent back home.

'I don't have any resentment for my wife, but I do think it was irresponsible of her to take the baby with her in her arms because we don't know what could happen.'

The couple has three other children, son Wesly, 14, and daughters Cindy, 11, and Brianna, six.

'The kids see what's happening. They're a little worried but I don't try to bring it up that much. They know their mother and sister are safe now.'

Denis said that he believes the journey across the border is only worth it to some degree, and admits that it's not something he would ever consider.

He said he heard from friends that his wife paid $6,000 for a coyote - a term for someone who smuggles people across the border.

'I wouldn't risk my life for it. It's hard to find a good job here and that's why many people choose to leave. But I thank God that I have a good job here. And I would never risk my life making that journey.'

The heart-breaking photo was taken by Getty photographer John Moore close to midnight on the night of June 12 near McAllen, Texas, as the row over Donald Trump's separation of migrant parents and children escalated.

Denis said that he hopes to use the photo and his family's situation to help him reunite with his daughter.

'I don't want money, what I want is someone to tell me that my daughter is going to be OK.'

When asked about his views on Trump's border policy, Denis said: 'I've never seen it in a positive light the way others do. It violates human rights and children's rights. Separating children from their parents is just wrong. They are suffering and are traumatized.

'The laws need to be modified and we need to have a conversation. It's just not right.

'[Illegal] Immigration and drug smuggling across the United States border is never gonna stop. They can build a wall and it's never going to stop,' he said.

Sandra was part of a group that were caught by Border Patrol agents after making their way across the Rio Grande river on a raft.

Moore's photo showed Yanela crying on a dirt track as her mother is patted down by a Border Patrol agent.

For many the photo summed up the cruelty of Trump's 'zero tolerance' policy towards migrants which has caused 2,300 children to be separated from their mothers and fathers.

But Hernandez said that he had heard through family members that his wife and daughter had not actually been separated.

He said that Yanela is the youngest of four children and she was the only one that traveled with her mother, a decision that surprised him.

As they made the perilous 1,800 mile journey North through Central America and Mexico, Hernandez heard very little - until he saw Moore's photograph.

Hernandez told Univision : 'My heart broke because it's my little girl. The first time I said that's my little girl when I saw the report.'

Asked if he cried, he said: 'Of course I cried, it's really hard. I can imagine that my wife was very fearful crossing the border because she took the decision.'

Hernandez said that he wanted his wife and daughter to come home and that he would welcome them when they return.

He said the situation in Honduras is 'very difficult but it’s not worth it to risk the mother’s life and the girl’s life.'

He said: 'I hope that they respect the rights of my wife and daughter because she is a queen, it breaks my heart. We all have rights.'

Moore, who has worked on the border with Mexico for years and has won a Pulitzer for his photography, has said the the image of Yanela was the last one he took that night.

Speaking to People magazine he said that the girl's mother was the last to be searched and a female agent asked her to put Yanela down so she could pat her down.

Moore said: 'The mother hesitated and then set down the little girl and the child immediately started crying.

'As a father, it was very emotional for me just to hear those cries. When I saw this little girl break down in tears I wanted to comfort this child.

'But as a photojournalist we sometimes have to keep photographing when things are hard. And tell a story that people would never see.'

Moore crouched 6ft from the girl as she looked up at her mother and took seven shots, Yanela's mother's hands spread out on the Border Patrol truck.

The image was a major factor in pressuring President Donald Trump to do a U-turn on his immigration policy and sign an executive order allowing families to stay together.

The President said that he wanted to look strong but admitted that the 'zero tolerance' policy made him look like he had 'no heart'.

Trump's climb down came after worldwide outrage including British Prime Minister Theresa May who called his policy 'deeply disturbing' while Pope Francis said it was 'immoral'.

The climb down was a rare one from Trump, who almost never apologizes and rarely backs down.

But he had not choice when his policy created a wall of opposition between him and others, including his own wife Melania, Democrats, Republicans, every living former First Lady, Amnesty International and the United Nations.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
1  seeder  Spikegary    6 years ago

He revealed that his wife had previously mentioned her wish to go to the United States for a 'better future' but did not tell him nor any of their family members that she was planning to make the trek.

'I didn't support it. I asked her, why? Why would she want to put our little girl through that? But it was her decision at the end of the day.'

He said that Sandra had always wanted to experience 'the American dream' and hoped to find a good job in the States.

Political Asylum because she wanted to expereince the American Dream?  Not what Asylum is all about and there are 9 or so places to legally apply for access to the United States on the route from Honduras to the U.S. 

And Time Magazine would have you believe that the Big Bad Donald had taken her mommy away from her.  Pure unadulterated bullshit.  Enter illegally, you get arrested.  Period.  Obviously though she was not separated from her mother. 

But the meida would rather incite than inform.

zuksam
Junior Silent
1.1  zuksam  replied to  Spikegary @1    6 years ago

Obviously her request for Asylum is fraudulent (as most are), she should be deported right away so she can be reunited with her other children as soon as possible.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2  Sparty On    6 years ago

And she left a husband and three other children without telling them?

Interesting .....

zuksam
Junior Silent
2.1  zuksam  replied to  Sparty On @2    6 years ago

She only needed one child to help her gain entry.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
2.2  seeder  Spikegary  replied to  Sparty On @2    6 years ago

Gotta wonder about that home life, though if she establishes a foothold here, then her husband can sneak across with another, then the grandmother, and so on.....

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
2.2.1  Jasper2529  replied to  Spikegary @2.2    6 years ago
though if she establishes a foothold here,

She'll have trouble, because she was deported in 2013 and is now a felon:

Politics, Work, and Never: TIMF Everything the media missed: Mother and daughter were never separated at any point v Mother kidnapped daughter from father v Mother was deported in 2013 V They were not escaping violence v Allegedly paid a smuggler Mother looking for work, not asylum

charger 383
Professor Silent
3  charger 383    6 years ago

And now they need to leave and never come back

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
4  Sunshine    6 years ago

Another example of TDS from the media.  The propaganda machines are starting to become a serious and dangerous problem. The false reporting is intentional.  I hope no more Congressional leaders are shot because of the hate being fueled by the media outlets.  The Democrat party needs step up and speak out against the constant hate speech delivered by the media.  I doubt it will happen.  They seem to pile on more without a ounce of consideration to the effect of the constant vile hate speech being spewed.

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
5  1ofmany    6 years ago

Thanks to her husband, this case should be very easy. Political asylum can only be granted for specific reasons and wanting a better or different life is not one of them. The mother and daughter should be sent home immediately. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  1ofmany @5    6 years ago

I fear for her husbands job and safety.  The domestic pro open borders progressives will never forgive him for exposing the total fraud that is their narrative on this issue.  

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
6  Sunshine    6 years ago
He said the situation in Honduras is 'very difficult but it’s not worth it to risk the mother’s life and the girl’s life.'

That would describe South Chicago.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
7  Mark in Wyoming     6 years ago

saw an interview this AM with the guy who took the picture at the border on the 12th of june , when he asked the woman said she had been traveling for a month with the child , now the father in the home country states she left with the child on the 3rd of june?

OOOOOHKAY...…. not only will she knowingly break the law , but she will lie?

It Is ME
Masters Guide
8  It Is ME    6 years ago

And she had 6 grand to shell out....but her home life is bad ? How the fuck did she come up with 6 grand ?

Makes no sense what-so-ever. Makes No Sense

How many U.S. CITIZENS would love to have 6 grand to just ……. Fucking Blow !

This Liberal led "Poor Illegal" crap is just that......CRAP ! yelling

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
8.1  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  It Is ME @8    6 years ago

also count the expense of getting from hondoras , to the texas border , in 10 days , and have time to FIND a 'coyote"......

It Is ME
Masters Guide
8.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @8.1    6 years ago

This "FAKE Outrage" is just unbelievable to me. "cummings" mum.....mum.....mum.....mumbled cry of outrage about "Illegals" rights made me laugh until I cried !

Funny thing this "Cummings" guy. He wasn't whining and crying when Der Leader Obama was doing worse.

He's such a Fucking Baby, playing his parents with his fake whine !

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
10  Buzz of the Orient    6 years ago

There appear to be two versions of this same story, with the same source, so I'll repeat my comment:

It's a fraud the mainstream media learned how to do from Hamas. When they saw the naive gullible fools around the world believed Hamas, they realized they could get away with it too.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
11  1stwarrior    6 years ago

child.jpg

Sparty On
Professor Principal
11.1  Sparty On  replied to  1stwarrior @11    6 years ago

Whoops!    

How inconvenient for the narrative the left is trying to spin on this.