╌>

Sarah Sanders says she was asked to leave restaurant because she works for Trump

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  6 years ago  •  112 comments

Sarah Sanders says she was asked to leave restaurant because she works for Trump

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

By KATHRYN WATSON, CBS NEWS, June 23, 2018

hen.jpg

White House press secretary Sarah Sanders was told to leave a Lexington, Virginia, restaurant Friday night, she said on Twitter Saturday morning. Sanders said the owner of the Red Hen in the Shenandoah Valley asked her to leave because she works for President Trump. 

"Last night I was told by the owner of Red Hen in Lexington, VA to leave because I work for @POTUS and I politely left. Her actions say far more about her than about me. I always do my best to treat people, including those I disagree with, respectfully and will continue to do so," Sanders tweeted Saturday morning. 

Last night I was told by the owner of Red Hen in Lexington, VA to leave because I work for @POTUS and I politely left. Her actions say far more about her than about me. I always do my best to treat people, including those I disagree with, respectfully and will continue to do so

— Sarah Sanders (@PressSec) June 23, 2018
The Red Hen, located roughly 200 miles outside Washington, D.C., is a farm-to-table, American fare restaurant. CBS News has reached out to the restaurant. The restaurant's owner, Stephanie Wilkinson, explained to The Washington Post why she turned Sanders and her family out of the restaurant. 

"I'm not a huge fan of confrontation," Wilkinson told the Post. "I have a business, and I want the business to thrive. This feels like the moment in our democracy when people have to make uncomfortable actions and decisions to uphold their morals."

Wilkinson had no regrets about her decision.

"I would have done the same thing again," she said  "We just felt there are moments in time when people need to live their convictions. This appeared to be one."

Someone who claimed to be Sanders' server seemed to have posted earlier on social media about the incident. That post was tweeted out by Brennan Gilmore, the executive director of environmental group Clean Virginia.   

.@PressSec got kicked out of the Red Hen restaurant in Lexington, Va tonight. Apparently the owner didn’t want to serve her and her party out of moral conviction. pic.twitter.com/jr3bfiY3XY

— Brennan Gilmore (@brennanmgilmore) June 23, 2018
Lexington is a small Virginia town that's home to the Virginia Military Institute (VMI) and Washington and Lee University.

Sanders' father, former Fox News host and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, accused the Red Hen of bigotry for kicking his daughter out of the restaurant. "Bigotry. On the menu at Red Hen Restaurant in Lexington VA," he tweeted. "Or you can ask for the 'Hate Plate'. And appetizers are 'small plates for small minds'." 

Bigotry. On the menu at Red Hen Restaurant in Lexington VA. Or you can ask for the “Hate Plate”. And appetizers are “small plates for small minds” https://t.co/rHEVdcQwwh

— Gov. Mike Huckabee (@GovMikeHuckabee) June 23, 2018
People took to Yelp to add their thoughts -- many of them negative -- about the restaurant and its apparent refusal to serve Sanders. The vast majority of the reviews today had little to do with the food.

"WOW. Just WOW. This restaurant discriminates if it doesn't agree with your political views," one Yelp reviewer wrote Saturday.

"You have joined a long list of people that open its rude mouth and loose. Shame on you to insult that women nationally. Now its your turn. By the way your food stinks," another reviewer wrote Saturday.

The restaurant also had its defenders. One wrote, "A restaurant that gave Sarah Huckabee Sanders a little taste of her own medicine...priceless! I must stop in soon so I can give a real review."

By the end of the day, Yelp posted a disclaimer: "This business recently made waves in the news, which often means that people come to this page to post their views on the news.

"While we don't take a stand one way or the other when it comes to these news events, we do work to remove both positive and negative posts that appear to be motivated more by the news coverage itself than the reviewer's personal consumer experience with the business."

Yelp warned that as a result, user posts could be removed as part of its "cleanup process." It welcomed users "to post your thoughts about the recent media coverage for this business on Yelp Talk at any time."

Apparently, some social media users were also mistaking a D.C. restaurant also called the Red Hen, with the Virginia restaurant. The unaffiliated D.C. restaurant issued this statement on Twitter:

Good morning! @PressSec went to the unaffiliated @RedHenLex last night, not to our DC-based restaurant.

— The Red Hen (@RedHenDC) June 23, 2018
© 2018 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Article is LOCKED by author/seeder
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    6 years ago

LOL.  The owner, who booted Sarah's family out of the restaurant said: (bolding is mine to make the point)

"I'm not a huge fan of confrontation," Wilkinson told the Post. "I have a business, and I want the business to thrive. This feels like the moment in our democracy when people have to make uncomfortable actions and decisions to uphold their morals."

Wilkinson had no regrets about her decision.

"I would have done the same thing again," she said  "We just felt there are moments in time when people need to live their convictions. This appeared to be one."

Wouldn't that be like a baker who won't bake a wedding cake for gays out of moral conviction?   Isn't it something like refusing to serve blacks in a restaurant?   Maybe someone should explain the Public Accommodations Act to me, because, being a Canadian I never studied American legislation and somehow I'm confused by what's going on here.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    6 years ago

It's the worst type of discrimination. This is the level that the hate filled left has reduced this country to.  This obscene act comes on the heels of the horrendous statement by Peter Fonda, the release of private information of 1,500 ICE agents by the leftist terror organization Antifa, the heckling of Homeland Security Director Kirstjen Nielsen out of a restaurant during her dinner, a fraudulent cover by Time Magazine and a week of MSM lies about treatment of children by Homeland Security.

It's been a busy week for progressives, scum that they are.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2.3  Vic Eldred  replied to    6 years ago

OT [ph]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2.4  Vic Eldred  replied to  NORMAN-D @1.2.2    6 years ago

OT [ph]

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
1.2.9  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to    6 years ago
A Stormy Daniels border protest, ok. But we can't be having this.

I'd say look for much more of this type of thing to happen. Now that the silent majority have no political power but still have membership power. 

liberalism didn't die, it was just pushed out of power temporarily. The pendulum will swing back, it always does. 

Personally I'm happiest when it's a good divided mix that can get along, but its been a long time since I've seen much of that in politics. Pity we all suffer from the politicians constant infighting. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.2.10  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @1.2.9    6 years ago

Buzz,

I have removed entire threads as off topic. I am considering making it a violation, since some here seem to use it as a way of derailing discussion. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.2.11  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.2.10    6 years ago

Thank you.  Surprisingly, the distracting "off topic" comments were posted by both sides of the political spectrum, but it really got way out of control. 

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
1.3  SteevieGee  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    6 years ago

They have a right to refuse service to anybody as has recently been ruled by the SCOTUS.

Rmando
Sophomore Silent
1.3.1  Rmando  replied to  SteevieGee @1.3    6 years ago

The SCOTUS absolutely did not rule that. They found a problem with the process used against the baker. They did not give anybody the right to refuse service.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
1.3.2  MrFrost  replied to  Rmando @1.3.1    6 years ago
The SCOTUS absolutely did not rule that. They found a problem with the process used against the baker. They did not give anybody the right to refuse service.

So it's ok for him to refuse service, but not these people? They should have just said it's against their religion to serve food to cows, and herded her ass out of the store. Problem solved. Pretty entertaining that you support the baker refusing service, but not this place. Hypocrisy...love it. 

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
1.4  Skrekk  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    6 years ago
Wouldn't that be like a baker who won't bake a wedding cake for gays out of moral conviction?  Isn't it something like refusing to serve blacks in a restaurant? 

Only on the surface in that there was a denial of service.    This denial was about the actions or political views of one person, not about a general category of persons much less about a protected trait (or "class").

Maybe someone should explain the Public Accommodations Act to me, because, being a Canadian I never studied American legislation and somehow I'm confused by what's going on here.

How it works is that a business is free to deny service for ANY reason or no reason in particular, but ONLY if that reason doesn't impact a protected trait of the customer.    The feds protect one general set of traits like race, sex, religion, etc, but each state has its own set which may expand upon the set used by the feds.    In general the confederate states and other red states have woefully inadequate protections in this area due to a continuing opposition to the civil rights of certain minorities.

Here's an example - a business denies service and the customer suspects illegal discrimination.    The business says they didn't like the customer's hat (a legal denial of service), but it turns out the business actually has a pattern of denying service to anyone wearing a yarmulke because they think the customer is Jewish (illegal due to the protected class of religion).

The cases involving anti-gay bakers and florists have occurred in blue states which protect sexual orientation and the legal violation was obvious and the business freely admitted an illegal motive.    The case involving Huckabee was in the red state of Virginia which does not protect political views or political affiliation, ostensibly the reason for the denial of service.    So the Red Hen was well within its rights to kick out Huckabee and I applaud them for doing so.   But if that had happened in the blue state of California it likely would have been illegal because CA is the one state which protects political affiliation.

The best part is that it's karma since Huckabee supports the anti-gay bakers and supports the anti-LGBT policies of her boss and the truly inhumane policies against refugee families and children.    She deserves all the blowback on this that she gets.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.4.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Skrekk @1.4    6 years ago

Thanks for coming to my aid with that info, Skrekk. However, I still feel the way I do as expressed in my latest comment about continuing this seed.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
1.4.2  Skrekk  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.4.1    6 years ago

I don't think anyone will mind if you close it.    However I do think it's both karma and more than a little ironic that those (like Huckabee) who support unlawful discrimination against a class of persons are now finding themselves the target of perfectly legal and quite ethical discrimination.

tomwcraig
Junior Silent
1.4.3  tomwcraig  replied to  Skrekk @1.4    6 years ago

Actually, Virginia is a purple state.  It is nearly 50% Liberal and 50% Conservative.  What we have with the restaurant owner is suspected hypocrisy as she claims that several of her employees are gay and as such probably was against the ruling about the Colorado baker.  Here, she used a claim of Freedom of Speech to throw out Sarah Huckabee Sanders, because she and her employees were offended just by Sanders being present.  That is clear bigotry on the part of her and her staff.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    6 years ago

As well, I LOVE the way this left wing news source drafted its headline to say that Sarah Sanders SAID she was "ASKED" to leave (as if she had been making a disturbance or something) when in fact she and her family were BOOTED out of the place.  However, the article, in its interview, says: (bolding is mine to make the point)

"The restaurant's owner, Stephanie Wilkinson, explained to The Washington Post why she turned Sanders and her family out of the restaurant."

LOL. "TURNED" them out - now THERE'S a euphemism if I've seen one.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
2.2  Raven Wing  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2    6 years ago
she turned Sanders and her family out of the restaurant."

No, the owner simply asked Sanders to leave, but, those at the table with her were welcome to stay. 

Here is what the owner said about the event in her own words:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Red Hen is no bigger than some flats, and the group table was impossible to miss: Sanders in a black dress, her husband, three or four men and women of roughly similar ages, and an older couple.

“They had cheese boards in front of them,” Wilkinson said.

Like any other family. The kitchen was already preparing the party’s main course. Wilkinson interrupted to huddle with her workers

"I explained that the restaurant has certain standards that I feel it has to uphold, such as honesty, and compassion, and cooperation.

“I said: ‘I’d like to ask you to leave.’ ”

Wilkinson didn’t know how Sanders would react, or whether Trump’s chief spokeswoman had been called out in a restaurant before.

Sanders’ response was immediate, Wilkinson said: “‘That’s fine. I’ll go’.”

Sanders went back to the table, picked up her things and walked out. The others at her table had been welcome to stay, Wilkinson said. But they didn’t, so the servers cleared away the cheese plates and glasses.

“They offered to pay,” Wilkinson said.

“I said: ‘No. It’s on the house’.”

Source: 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So the family was not 'turned' out as well. They CHOSE to leave with Sanders. I also read this from other sources as well. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.2.3  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Raven Wing @2.2    6 years ago

I'm starting to feel really sorry for you Americans, when you start throwing each out of your places of business because of political beliefs, IMO you've just gone back to the days before the Civil Rights Movement.  When is the lynching going to start?

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
2.2.5  Jasper2529  replied to  Raven Wing @2.2    6 years ago
No, the owner simply asked Sanders to leave, but, those at the table with her were welcome to stay. 

So why did the owner wait to expel the group until after all the orders were taken and their food was being prepared? Yes, they were kicked out.

From your article:

The kitchen was already preparing the party’s main course.

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
2.2.6  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.2.3    6 years ago
When is the lynching going to start?

Political lynching IMO has never been higher than I see it today.

trump's style is not just to win it's to annihilate the competition. That's why so many good politicians are stepping aside many probably thinking and hoping this is temporary and they will get back into politics once they dont have to worry about their career being destroyed if they go against what trump thinks, says or does.

These guys stepping aside "to spend more time with their families" LOL... BS. is just one symptom of trumps style. When you have NO descension, you control it all. 

Easy peasy 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.2.7  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @2.2.6    6 years ago

Not being tied to either side of the American political spectrum, and bound to "my party's line", I see the attacks coming from BOTH sides. I wouldn't be surprised, due to America's gun culture and proliferation of arms, that the "Hatfield and McCoy" syndrome will lead to mini-wars there.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
2.2.8  Sunshine  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.2.7    6 years ago

I'm moving to Canada!  

queen with a gun.jpg

tomwcraig
Junior Silent
2.2.9  tomwcraig  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @2.2.6    6 years ago
trump's style is not just to win it's to annihilate the competition.

Actually, that is the style of the Democrats since the 1980s.  You see it with all of their protests when someone says anything they disagree with, all of their shouting down of any dissent with their points of view, and their attempts to lie about people who disagree with them (the lies about Trump and immigration being an example).  Trump's style is to mock the competition until they cave or lose.  In fact, he tends to go out of his way not to destroy the competition otherwise he would have fired Mueller and Rosenstein a long time ago for the "witch hunt".  Also, note that he hasn't pardoned anyone currently being investigated by Mueller either, despite having the power to do so.

Rmando
Sophomore Silent
3  Rmando    6 years ago

So the restaurant didn't even have the decency to offer her something already made like Jack Phillips does for all his customers? How rude!

Rmando
Sophomore Silent
5  Rmando    6 years ago

I wonder what would've happened to a place that turned away a member of the Obama admin or even his family simply because they disagreed with his policies?

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
6  Bob Nelson    6 years ago

The Supreme Court just ruled that a baker may refuse to make a cake for a gay marriage.

Being gay is morally neutral. Being spokesperson for Donald Trump is morally reprehensible.

So it isn't just acceptable for a restaurant to refuse to serve Sarah Sanders. It's a moral obligation.

Citizen Kane-473667
Professor Participates
6.1  Citizen Kane-473667  replied to  Bob Nelson @6    6 years ago

Yes it is. Glad to see you agree that Moral's have a place in business too.  I wouldn't knowingly sell a known pedophile a bag of candy, a van, and a playground set. I wouldn't knowingly sell a drug dealer or gang member a gun or even a knife even if they had never been convicted of a crime.

People should follow their Moral compass in business and we should reward or punish them with our money for their decisions as we see fit. Government shouldn't be mandating our morals.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
6.1.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  Citizen Kane-473667 @6.1    6 years ago

Would you have dealings with Sarah Sanders?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.1.2  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Bob Nelson @6.1.1    6 years ago

Yes I would. I think she has a lot more class than the owner who TOLD her to leave, and I wouldn't go into that restaurant unless I needed to use their toilet.  In fact, IMO, Sarah Sanders has more class than some of the bigots who have been posting on this seed.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
6.3  Skrekk  replied to  Bob Nelson @6    6 years ago
The Supreme Court just ruled that a baker may refuse to make a cake for a gay marriage.

They did not do that.

So it isn't just acceptable for a restaurant to refuse to serve Sarah Sanders. It's a moral obligation.

I agree 100%

PJ
Masters Quiet
7  PJ    6 years ago

Hmmm......so it's okay to refuse service to gay people but not those who lie to the American people?

Sarah should look at this from a positive perspective.  Hopefully she got some extra steps in when she was asked to walk out to the patio so the owner could explain why she was booting her and then again when she walked out the front door of the restaurant.

BTW - she's also going to be investigated for using her official twitter account to post her comments.    It's a government twitter account and CANNOT be used for personal messaging.  (these people are so phucking stupid - they have no idea what it means to be a civil servant).

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
7.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  PJ @7    6 years ago
civil servant

Ummm...

Think about the idea of "public service", seen from the perspective of any member of the Trump Administration...

PJ
Masters Quiet
7.1.1  PJ  replied to  Bob Nelson @7.1    6 years ago

True - They are disgraceful and so are their followers.  

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
7.1.2  Bob Nelson  replied to  PJ @7.1.1    6 years ago

"Public service" means "serve yourself from public funds".

luther28
Sophomore Silent
8  luther28    6 years ago

Well if it is okay for bakers to deny service to gay folks, then I suppose the recent ruling makes this okay as well.

Life in America gets sillier by the day.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
8.1  Skrekk  replied to  luther28 @8    6 years ago
Well if it is okay for bakers to deny service to gay folks

No, that's still illegal in CO and many other blue states.

then I suppose the recent ruling makes this okay as well.

This one was both perfectly legal and well-deserved karma for Huckabee.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
9  JohnRussell    6 years ago

All of you are forgetting what is the key aspect of this story. The owner didn't refuse to serve Sanders, she asked her to leave. If Sanders said no she would have been served. 

I believe the baker refused to make the gay cake. 

What people need to start thinking about are the societal anomalies associated with the Trump regime. 

Constant lying from the president and his government, including by Sarah Sanders on a daily basis. Open ridiculing and mocking of citizens by their president. The acceptance, by the president , of bigotry and hatred, as seen by the numerous times he has passed along in social media racist and bigoted claims. Personal corruption on the part of the president and his administration. A "reality tv" aspect to the administration which trivializes the time honored traditions of the office.

I think is is much better to ignore people like Sanders when she is "off-duty" but I also understand the extreme disharmony created by Trumpism that may lead someone like the restaurant owner to act. Frankly and surely, it is only going to get worse until Trump is sent packing. 

Citizen Kane-473667
Professor Participates
9.1  Citizen Kane-473667  replied to  JohnRussell @9    6 years ago
If Sanders said no she would have been served.

No, she would have been arrested for Trespassing.  Been there. Done that. Got the jumpsuit.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
9.5  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell @9    6 years ago
"If Sanders said no she would have been served."

Can you post a valid source for that conjecture?  She was TOLD to leave, and Sanders had the class to not make a scene.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
9.5.1  Sunshine  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @9.5    6 years ago
and Sanders had the class to not make a scene.

Unlike the Starbucks debacle where two people where asked to leave for loitering and refused.  But hey, they where "mistreated". /s

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
9.6  Skrekk  replied to  JohnRussell @9    6 years ago
All of you are forgetting what is the key aspect of this story. The owner didn't refuse to serve Sanders, she asked her to leave. If Sanders said no she would have been served.        I believe the baker refused to make the gay cake. 

Both constitute a denial of service but one was legal and the other illegal due to Virginia not protecting any relevant trait.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
10  Dean Moriarty    6 years ago

I’m all for allowing the business owner to pick and choose the work they do and who works for them. If you have a bad customer or one that you feel is potentially bad don’t do the work. 

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
10.1  lennylynx  replied to  Dean Moriarty @10    6 years ago

I agree with that argument intellectually, but the practical reality of allowing a business owner to refuse service to anyone, anytime, for any reason, is that segregation will return and bigotry will be protected by law. 

I wonder if you saw Rand Paul on Rachel Maddow a few years back, Dean, he made this logical argument and Rachel totally blew her pushback.  Instead of arguing the negative results of allowing businesses to refuse anyone, she spent her entire time bringing up racist and bigoted people that Paul had been associated with over the years, and it made her look like she had no real argument at all.  I had never seen her look that bad.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
10.2  Bob Nelson  replied to  Dean Moriarty @10    6 years ago
If you have a bad customer or one that you feel is potentially bad don’t do the work.

I agree, Dean.

OTOH, that shouldn't... mustn't... be camouflage for racism.

devangelical
Professor Principal
12  devangelical    6 years ago

That lying pig should have known the risks of going into a farm to market restaurant in Virginia.

Ender
Professor Principal
13  Ender    6 years ago

Haaha.  I call it people getting a taste of what they ask for. Hypocrites. Saying we should be able to refuse service, then getting offended when it happens to one of their own.

Hell Sanders herself agrees that it should be able to be done, then turns around and throws a hissy fit because it happened to her.

Again, bunch of hypocrites...

I happen to believe that food establishments should offer their goods to anyone willing to pay for them. Sanders   does not . She thinks it’s OK, for example, for a business  to hang a sign in their window  saying they won’t serve gay couples. This is why, on one level, her very public dig at the owner of the Red Hen, which set off a torrent of hate tweets and threats her way, is ridiculous. It’s hypocrisy.

The irony of restaurant-gate is that Sanders supports the owner of  Masterpiece Cakeshop , Jack Phillips, who refused to bake a wedding cake for a same-sex couple in Colorado. The owner of the Red Hen, Stephanie Wilkinson,  told the Washington Post  one reason she asked Sanders to leave was because of  Sanders’ stances on gay rights . The staff includes several gay workers. The staff was also deeply upset about Sanders’ defense of Trump’s family separation policy, she said.

When the high court heard oral arguments in December, Sanders went as far as to say it would be fine for a business to hang up a sign announcing it denies services to gay people. According to the Advocate,   here’s the full exchange   at her regular briefing with the White House press:

“The lawyer for the solicitor general’s office for the administration said today in the Supreme Court if it would be legal, possible for a baker to put a sign in his window saying we don’t bake cakes for gay weddings,”   The New York Times s Michael Shear asked. “Does the president agree that that would be OK?”

”The president certainly supports religious liberty and that’s something he talked about during the campaign and has upheld since taking office,” Sanders replied.

When pressed on whether that included support for signs that deny service to gay people, Sanders responded, “I believe that would include that.”

Link

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
13.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ender @13    6 years ago
"...throws a hissy fit..."

What "hissy fit". I thought her tweet was quite tolerant.

Opera Snapshot_20180624_065629_twitter.com.png

Ender
Professor Principal
13.1.1  Ender  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @13.1    6 years ago

I call it that because she used the official government twitter handle for her position for a personal beef.

Sarah Sanders' use of her official government  Twitter  account to criticize a restaurant for asking her to leave is a 'clear violation' of federal ethics laws, a top former government watchdog charges. 

'Sarah, I know you don't care even a tiny little bit about the ethics rules, but using your official account for this is a clear violation of 5 CFR 2635.702(a),' he tweeted on Saturday.

The @PressSec account Sanders used is one that White House press secretaries pass on to one another as holders of the position change.

Shaub also explained Sanders' tweet could be interpreted as coercion.

'Sanders used her official govt account to condemn a private business for personal reasons. Seeks to coerce business by using her office to get public to pressure it,' he wrote.

Link

Kavika
Professor Principal
13.1.2  Kavika   replied to  Ender @13.1.1    6 years ago
Sanders used her official govt account to condemn a private business for personal reasons. Seeks to coerce business by using her office to get public to pressure it,' he wrote

Isn't that pretty much what Trump did with Amazon. She just playing ''follow the leader''....

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
13.1.3  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ender @13.1.1    6 years ago

Oh, come on. It's not the medium she used. I'm talking about the language she used.

Ender
Professor Principal
13.1.4  Ender  replied to  Kavika @13.1.2    6 years ago

Yep. Ethics seem to be pretty much thrown out the window.

Ender
Professor Principal
13.1.5  Ender  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @13.1.3    6 years ago

I call it, passive aggressive.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
13.1.6  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ender @13.1.5    6 years ago

You have a degree in Psychology?

Ender
Professor Principal
13.1.7  Ender  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @13.1.6    6 years ago

If that is the determination for people posting their opinion, the amount of comments would be zero.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
13.1.8  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ender @13.1.7    6 years ago

Obviously you don't have the qualifications to make an accurate professional medical diagnosis.  Can you tell from my posts that I've been professionally diagnosed as having clinical depression?  Perhaps if you had prefixed your diagnosis with "I think that..." I would not have made my comment. IMO there is a danger in being too sure of anything.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
14  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    6 years ago

It's 10:00 pm where I am and I'm tired. I'm now going to lock this article for the night, and will reopen it in about 10 hours from now.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
15  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    6 years ago

This article is now unlocked, and although I have normally welcomed friendly off topic comments as a means for members to get to know each other better, and hoping thereby there would be a chance to diminish the vitriol that often pervades Front Page articles, sometimes, as in this article, it gets totally out of control and I have no choice but to cut off the distraction.

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
15.1  lennylynx  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @15    6 years ago

Good morning Buzz.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
16  Galen Marvin Ross    6 years ago

This was posted by the Daily Mail,

The owner of The Red Hen restaurant that kicked out Sarah Huckabee Sanders has revealed why she refused to serve the White House Press Secretary.
On Friday night Sanders was asked to leave the Lexington, Virginia restaurant where she was dining with her seven family members.
Restaurant owner Stephanie Wilkinson said she took a staff vote before asking Sanders to leave. When they voted to boot her out, Wilkinson complied.
'Tell me what you want me to do. I can ask her to leave. They said "yes,"' Wilkinson said to the Washington Post.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
16.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @16    6 years ago

I wonder if her staff has a majority of illegal immigrants. I wouldn't eat in that restaurant if the staff didn't like me - no telling WHAT will be in the food (or drink).

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
16.1.1  Skrekk  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @16.1    6 years ago
I wonder if her staff has a majority of illegal immigrants.

She apparently has more than one gay employee and other employees who were upset by Huckabee's support of anti-gay bakers and her boss' anti-LGBT policies, including his attempt to purge the military of transgender soldiers.    No doubt his lack of humanity about refugee children was a factor too.

devangelical
Professor Principal
17  devangelical    6 years ago
— Sarah Sanders (@PressSec) June 23, 2018

Sarah violated federal ethics rules by using her official gov't account.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
17.1  Sunshine  replied to  devangelical @17    6 years ago

OMG.....get a special prosecutor stat.

devangelical
Professor Principal
17.1.1  devangelical  replied to  Sunshine @17.1    6 years ago

Not needed. Cut and dry. Lock her up.

charger 383
Professor Silent
17.2  charger 383  replied to  devangelical @17    6 years ago

NO!  She reported something newsworthy that's what a press secretary does 

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
18  Sunshine    6 years ago

The Red Hen needs to shut down for a day of micro aggression/intolerance training for the staff.

charger 383
Professor Silent
19  charger 383    6 years ago

If stuff like this stands, it opens a door some may not like being opened

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
19.1  Skrekk  replied to  charger 383 @19    6 years ago

The denial of service here was perfectly legal.    It may not be a wise business decision but it was the right thing to do.

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
21  1ofmany    6 years ago

I’ve been to Lexington a few times. The city is very different from what surrounds it. The city has at least one university and is filled with democrats. Outside the city is Trump country. Nice people in and outside the city. It’s right at the intersection of two busy highways, 81 and 66.

Apart from giving someone an incentive to burn the Red Hen down, it’s setting a really bad precedent. So if you’re a democrat with Hillary stickers on your car, it’s ok if Trump supporters who may own all the gas stations along the route to tell you they’re not selling you gas or towing your car or fixing it? If you want to use the bathroom, it’s ok for them to tell you to piss in the woods because the bathrooms are for customers? What if you’re black and they say it’s not your race they find offensive but your politics so it’s ok to ban you. Same goes for gays. Are liberals so stupid that they can’t see they’re setting fire to a forest in which they will also burn?

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
21.1  Skrekk  replied to  1ofmany @21    6 years ago
it’s setting a really bad precedent.

How so?    I think it's great that people are finally taking personal action against the Trump regime's horrible policies.    For Huckabee in particular this is karma because of her odious views and her personal support of the bigoted baker.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
22  Bob Nelson    6 years ago

Are liberals so stupid that they can’t see they’re setting fire to a forest in which they will also burn?

You are quite right that this could quickly get out of hand, but... why are you ascribing it to liberals?

The "won't serve gays" bakers were not liberals. The "won't serve Blacks" soda fountains back in the day were not liberals.

Liberals (in a sweeping and therefore false generalization) are against intolerance... with one exception: they are intolerant of intolerance. That is what motivated Red Hen.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
22.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Bob Nelson @22    6 years ago
"You are quite right that this could quickly get out of hand..."

I think that I made a mistake by being the NT member who posted this article.  It is not only the described situation that could get out of hand, but likewise this whole article has become so controversial, and I do not have sufficient knowledge of American legislation and government rules of ethics that qualifies me to moderate the comments.  In fact, not only does this situation have the capacity to increase the divide between Americans as to their politics, but it is, IMO, doing the same right here in the comments to divide the NT community.  I don't think it's worth it.  I think just closing the article is somewhat of a solution, but deleting it altogether is probably a better one.  I suggest that an American who has the legislative knowledge and personal political concerns could easily open an article to elicit a similar discussion - say, on the topic of the ethics criticism of Sanders, or on the similarities to pre-Civil Rights incidents. I'm not a coward, I'm just not sufficiently informed to deal with this, and I have other interests I would prefer to pursue rather than having to be stuck with this topic as a referee in this battle. As I said, I'm sorry I seeded this article - it has not been a pleasant experience.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
22.1.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @22.1    6 years ago

As it happens, Buzz... I just seeded a piece on this topic. So if you want to lock yours, members will still have a place to vent.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
22.1.2  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Bob Nelson @22.1.1    6 years ago

Thank you, Bob. I accept your offer. I suggest to NT members that since I am going to lock the comments on this seed for the reasons I stated above: (click this link)

And due to Bob's offer to continue this discussion on the relevant article he seeded: (click this link)

I am now locking comments but not deleting this article so that the comments will remain.  You can continue this discussion on Bob's seed.