╌>

WWII “Devil’s Brigade” Honored by Congress (First Canadian American Special Forces unit)

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  kavika  •  6 years ago  •  32 comments

WWII “Devil’s Brigade” Honored by Congress  (First Canadian American Special Forces unit)

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

This article is a couple of years old, but with the nonsense happening with this ''trade war'' I thought that it was the perfect time to remind our members that in WWII a unit comprised of US and Canadian soldiers was formed. Side by side they became the 1st Special Service Force (Airborne - Special Forces) The Devils Brigade. 

They fought as one, two neighbor countries fighting as one unit. They went on to earn accolades and were feared by the Nazi's. Their combat record is outstanding. 

One of the members of the unit was one of they most decorated Canadian soldiers. Tommy Prince, Ojibwe First Nation. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Prince

They jumped out of airplanes and parachuted behind enemy lines. Under the cover of night, they scaled mountains and engaged in hand-to-hand combat. They could storm a beach in an amphibious landing or ski across rugged terrain with guns strapped to their backs. They could have been big-screen action heroes—and they did, in fact, inspire a Hollywood movie—but their exploits were all too real.

Now, more than 70 years after they left the battlefields of World War II, the men of the 1st Special Service Force have received America’s highest civilian honor—the Congressional Gold Medal. On February 3, surviving members of the joint American-Canadian strike force gathered with families of the unit’s deceased veterans for a ceremony in their honor inside the U.S. Capitol.

Members of the "Devil's Brigade" on patrol in Anzio, April 1944. Members of the “Devil’s Brigade” on patrol in Anzio, April 1944.

The creation of the 1st Special Service Force in the summer of 1942 marked the first time that the United States and Canada had combined their fighters into a single unit. At Montana’s Fort Harrison and in the rugged terrain of the Rocky Mountains, 900 American and 900 Canadian soldiers endured months of grueling training as they learned to parachute, rock climb, ski, engage in high-altitude combat and use weapons such as the V-42, a combat knife designed exclusively for their use.

By July 1943, this group of pre-war lumberjacks, farmers and miners had been transformed into what would be one of the most fearsome commando units in World War II. The following month, they made a brief expedition to the Aleutian Islands in the Pacific Ocean, and by November they had been shipped to the European theater to dislodge German forces from seemingly impregnable positions in the mountains of Italy that had stymied previous Allied forces. At Monte La Difensa, the commandos made a near vertical ascent in the freezing rain to take the Nazis by surprise and seize their location. The amazing assault inspired the 1968 motion picture “The Devil’s Brigade” starring William Holden and Cliff Robertson. Although they sustained heavy casualties, the 1st Special Service Force continued through the bitter winter to scale steep cliffs and overwhelm enemy outposts high atop the Italian mountains.

In February 1944, the commandos were moved from the peaks of Italy to the coastal city of Anzio south of Rome where the Allies had established a beachhead. It was this operation that cemented the force’s place in history. Under the cover of darkness, the commandos donned camouflage and blackened their faces with boot polish to stage reconnaissance missions well behind enemy lines. Their nighttime raids repeatedly struck the Germans without warning. During the offensive in which they fought for 99 consecutive days, the force began to leave calling cards on German corpses that were emblazoned with the unit’s red arrowhead insignia and an ominous warning: “The worst is yet to come.”

"Devil's Brigade" members being briefed at Anzio, April 1944. “Devil’s Brigade” members being briefed at Anzio, April 1944.

One journal written by a German officer found by the Allies read, “The Black Devils are all around us every time we come into the line, and we never hear them come.” Out of this description came the 1st Special Service Force’s nickname, the “Devil’s Brigade.”

On June 4, 1944, the Devil’s Brigade breached the ancient gates of Rome and became among the first Allied forces to liberate the city. Two months later, the elite commandos landed on islands near the French Riviera and participated in the invasion of southern France that drove back fascist forces before the unit disbanded in December 1944.

For every one of their comrades lost in battle, the Devil’s Brigade killed 25. For every one of them captured, they took 235. The brigade won five U.S. campaign stars and eight Canadian battle honors. Strike force members were also pioneers, serving as the model for subsequent special force units such as the Green Berets, Delta Force and Navy SEALs in America and Joint Task Force 2 (JTF2) in Canada.

Guttierrez and Mann at the ceremony (Credit: Mark Wilson/Getty Images) Guttierrez and Mann at the ceremony (Credit: Mark Wilson/Getty Images)

The awarding of the Congressional Gold Medal was years in the making, and unfortunately the number of living members of the strike force has dwindled in that time. Just a day before the ceremony, 90-year-old Canadian veteran Al Wilson passed away. However, more than 40 living members—all in their 90s—were able to make the trip to Washington, D.C.

“These devils only rented space in the shadows,” Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell told those gathered in the U.S. Capitol. “They moved within darkness in order to defeat it. And today here they are, champions of freedoms, heroes in two nations, saviors to many others.”

A reunion of the Devil’s Brigade is planned for this coming August in Montana for those who couldn’t travel to Washington.

Speaker John Boehner presents the Congressional Gold Medal to American Eugene Gutierrez and Canadian Charles Mann, members of the 1st Special Service Force.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Kavika
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Kavika     6 years ago

Perhaps a bit of reflection is due. We are allies after all. 

As mentioned in the article this is a photo of the V42 combat knife designed for the unit. 

20130323-dsc09754.jpg

Enoch
Masters Quiet
1.1  Enoch  replied to  Kavika @1    6 years ago

Dear Brother Kavika: We are, and will continue to be close allies in so many ways.

Each time I drive over the Peace Bridge linking the USA and Canada over the Niagara River I am reminded that not even a river with one of the strongest undertows on the planet can keep us apart.

Great seed.

Thanks.

Enoch.

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Enoch @1.1    6 years ago

Very true my friend. Never forget your friends.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
1.1.2  Raven Wing  replied to  Enoch @1.1    6 years ago
We are, and will continue to be close allies in so many ways

Our long term friendly relationship with Canada, whose men have fought side by side with our American forces in many battles over the years will not be threatened by one mentally deranged arrogant fool that occupies the WH at this time. There is too much history between the countries and their people to be so easily threatened. 

And it proves to the American people just how dangerous it is to put our country and our people in the hands of 'outsiders' who know nothing about how to run a real country, and think they can demand it be run like their 'reality' TV program where they can ignore everyone and call all the shots themselves.

As the saying goes, "This too shall pass", and America and its people will endure, and will learn the importance of electing those who have experience for the job, and are willing to listen to those who know more than they do.  Fortunately, this will be the last term for this unqualified President, and our people will learn a good lesson for the future of our country.

Nona62
Professor Silent
1.2  Nona62  replied to  Kavika @1    6 years ago

Thanks for sharing this great article Chief !!   I found it to be very interesting.  I bow to you

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.2.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Nona62 @1.2    6 years ago

Happy  that you enjoyed it Nona...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2  Buzz of the Orient    6 years ago

A GREAT story - something I never would have known if you hadn't posted it.  It's good to see stories of such close connection between Canada and America.  We are so much alike, the best neighbours to each other in the world.  Pity that someone has to pull the kind of shit that changes it.

Let's not forget this:

ThanksCanada.JPG

And this:

efca000f-abb8-4a6f-881e-e39e4ee2882f.jpg

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2    6 years ago

Ah yes, the Iran caper and NORAD, can't get much closer than that as allies.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Kavika @2.1    6 years ago

For those that are aware of the Canadian Caper...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika @2.1.1    6 years ago

I think it's those who are NOT aware of the Canadian Caper who should read the Wikipedia account you linked. 

The film Argo was great American propaganda, since the biggest risks and most of the "caper" was carried out by Canadians, while the movie made it look as if Canadians had hardly anything to do with it. Jimmy Carter himself was reported as criticizing the movie for that misplaced credit. 

I actually did get a benefit out of the "caper".  Disney World provided a big discount to its regular costs to Canadians as a thank-you, and I took my family there for Christmas at a big cost saving. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.4  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Kavika @2.1.1    6 years ago

It should read ....NOT AWARE.....sorry for the typo.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3  Perrie Halpern R.A.    6 years ago

Great article Kavika about great men. It amazes me the dedication these men had to each other and country and the bravery they showed. Truly, they were the greatest generation and a pride for our people! 

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3    6 years ago

Two countries, one unit...The best of allies sister.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
4  Bob Nelson    6 years ago

But... but... but...

They burned the Capitol!

Face Palm

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Bob Nelson @4    6 years ago

But, but we invaded Canada...LOL

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
4.2  dave-2693993  replied to  Bob Nelson @4    6 years ago

Don't forget they burned the White House too.

The temporary White House used at the time is just a few miles from me.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
4.2.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  dave-2693993 @4.2    6 years ago

jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif What's really funny about the "Canadians are a national security risk in 2018 because they burned the Capitol in 1815... is that they didn't .

The British troops who burned stuff in Washington did not come from Canada. They came from the British Isles, mainly Scots and Irish, via the West Indies. Their commander came from India.

But hey!

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
4.2.2  dave-2693993  replied to  Bob Nelson @4.2.1    6 years ago
But hey!

Does it really matter?

I don't know of any past discussions on this matter by the site and I am not going to dig in to it and all the permutations.

The fact is, regardless of geographic point of origin they all fought for and marched to the order of the same king. "They" the British Empire, burned our Capitol. Period.

Within the context of your post and regardless of past discussions I do not see anything wrong with my statement.

Later, independent Canada became a strong ally, as has the UK, which arguably has become our strongest ally.

I hope it remains that way.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
4.2.3  Bob Nelson  replied to  dave-2693993 @4.2.2    6 years ago
Does it really matter?

Of course not. Not in the slightest.

But Trump had to designate Canada as a "national security risk" in order to bypass Congress and set tariffs on his own. Some NT bozos have justifies "Canada is a national security risk" by citing the War of 1812.

That's patently absurd, so I was just adding to the absurdity.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
4.2.4  dave-2693993  replied to  Bob Nelson @4.2.3    6 years ago

Alright, I can understand that.

FYI. I am not a fan of our political situation these days. I see little good in either side and did not cast a vote for either of the two major candidates. Same goes for the third.

We have serious issues when such polarity exists in our country.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
4.2.5  Bob Nelson  replied to  dave-2693993 @4.2.4    6 years ago
I see little good in either side and did not cast a vote for either of the two major candidates.

I'm sorry... But to my mind, both-side-do-it is a cop-out. There is no symmetry between left and right.

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
5  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    6 years ago

It's truly inspiring to know how well Americans and Canadians work together.  Let's get that crazy out of the White House before his idiocy causes irreparable harm.

This is a smidge late, but thank you Canada.

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @5    6 years ago
This is a smidge late, but thank you Canada.

It may be a smidge late, but always appreciated by the Great White North. 

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
5.1.1  Freefaller  replied to  Kavika @5.1    6 years ago
the Great White North.

Lol it's actually mostly pretty green right now, at least till winter starts next month.  Good thing too my igloo is melting bad and my pet polar bear is suffering in this heat.

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1.2  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Freefaller @5.1.1    6 years ago

Like northern Minnesota, summer is a Tuesday afternoon in August through most of Canada...Happy

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
6  dave-2693993    6 years ago

Great write up Kavika.

I remember stories about this group and have seen the movie, a couple times.

The nazis like to attach the name devil to anything they did have an answer for. E.g. P 38 = Fork Tailed Devil.

Kavika
Professor Principal
6.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  dave-2693993 @6    6 years ago

Thanks dave. 

Yes, they did use the ''Devil'' term quite often. In this case I can really understand it. I mentioned Tommy Prince in the article. Reading his history I can well imagine that the Nazi's would call him and the unit the ''Devil Brigade''..

The photo for the article of the two Canadian soldiers is a photo of Tommy (on the right) and his borther, Morris. 

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
6.1.1  dave-2693993  replied to  Kavika @6.1    6 years ago

Striking photo Kavika.

The nazis couldn't handle that.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
6.2  dave-2693993  replied to  dave-2693993 @6    6 years ago
The nazis like to attach the name devil to anything they did NOT have an answer for. E.g. P 38 = Fork Tailed Devil.

Sorry for the typo. Left out NOT.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
7  dave-2693993    6 years ago

Can't help but think the fierce fighting of the Devils Brigade and others led to a curious battle. The Battle of Castle Itter.

US and German forces fought together against the Waffen SS. Who would you rather fight against?

Kavika
Professor Principal
7.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  dave-2693993 @7    6 years ago

Yes, I remember reading about that. I wouldn't want to fight the Devils Brigade.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
7.1.1  dave-2693993  replied to  Kavika @7.1    6 years ago

Me too.

Although the Devils Brigade was not there, it is easy for the mind in those conditions to contemplate someone like them was.

A good reputation can go a long way.