╌>

A President* Who Couldn't Even Win A Plurality Of The Vote Is Leading A Movement Of 35% Of The Population To Bamboozle And Lie To The Rest Of Us

Category:  News & Politics

By:  johnrussell  •  6 years ago  •  74 comments

A President* Who Couldn't Even Win A Plurality Of The Vote Is Leading A Movement Of 35% Of The Population To Bamboozle And Lie To The Rest Of Us

One of the things one is most immediately struck by is the confident belief of Trumpsters that THEY represent "the American people". They are always talking about "we" want this or "we" demand that, or say that now that Trump is in charge "the people" will have the most powerful figure on their side. 

I have searched since Trump won the election for any information that would indicate Trumpsters truly represent the will of "the American people" and have yet to find such evidence. The other day I seeded an article that contains the results of recent polling on 22 issues facing the nation relating to immigration, US trade policy, health care, school safety, and many more. The Washington Post article categorizes the responses to the various questions according to Republican, Democrat, or independent. It is quite eye opening, although not at all a real surprise. On almost all of the 22 questions Trump's support comes mainly from Republicans, on most issues his support from Republicans is in the 75-80% range.  His support on the issues from Democrats is essentially the flipside of that, 10-15%. But importantly, Trump and his policies are under water with the nation's independents. Generally independent support for Trump's policies is in the 35-40% range. In only 3 of the 22 questions was independent support for Trump at 50% or higher.  The overall agreement with Trump's positions on these 22 issues was most often under or around 40%. This is true on question after question.  

Taken in conjunction with the fact that Trump's approval ratings have hovered in the range of 37% to 42 or 43% constantly since he took office, we can see that it is logically impossible to claim that Trump and his policies are popular with " the American people" . The most likely correct assumption would be that the opposite is true. 

I heard yesterday that a new poll shows that over 60% of Americans want Trump to appoint a moderate or liberal Supreme Court justice, while only around a third say the justice should be very conservative. This is more evidence Trump is the leader of a minority political faction that is attempting to usurp the right to rule by presidential fiat. 

This new story about Roe v Wade opinions certainly confirms the objection to Trump's plans for the Court. 

More than 60 percent of Americans want the Supreme Court to uphold Roe v. Wade, the landmark ruling that legalized abortion nationwide, according to recent polls.

The surveys show a clear majority supports abortion rights as President Donald Trump prepares to appoint a new justice to the top court who could be a decisive voice on the issue. The president, who as a candidate said he wanted to choose judges who would overturn Roe, said he will announce the second Supreme Court choice of his tenure on July 9.

Justice Anthony Kennedy , a swing vote on the court on issues such as reproductive rights and gay rights, will retire effective July 31. Abortion rights advocates worry his replacement could help the court overturn the Roe ruling.

Such a decision would not align with the views of most Americans, according to the polls . Sixty-one percent of Americans want a new justice who will vote to uphold Roe, while only 31 percent prefer a judge who will overturn it , an NBC News/SurveyMonkey poll released Tuesday found .

It follows a Kaiser Family Foundation survey , released Friday, which found 67 percent of Americans do not want the top court to reverse Roe. Only 29 percent of respondents to the survey said they want the Supreme Court to overturn the decision.

Two other recent surveys show broad support for the Roe ruling. Voters agree with the decision by a 63 percent to 31 percent margin, a Quinnipiac University poll released Monday found . Meanwhile, a Daily Beast/Ipsos survey found only 33 percent of Americans think abortion should be completely illegal, while 63 percent disagree.

The Roe ruling will be a crucial litmus test for whomever Trump nominates for the seat. How the candidate answers questions about the case could mark or break confirmation in a closely divided Senate.

https://sg.finance.yahoo.com/news/clear-majority-wants-supreme-court-141400001.html

Trump does not have "the people" behind him. He never has had "the people" behind him. Hence the legitimate "resistance", which is poised to grow. 

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  author  JohnRussell    6 years ago

We need to stop allowing Trump and his minions, such as we see here on Newstalkers, to bamboozle and constantly lie to the American people. It is time for the media and the "both sides do it" moderates and independents to step up and be counted. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.1  Dulay  replied to  JohnRussell @1    6 years ago

Hey, I'm trying to do my part. I do what I can to challenge the overtly false seeds by the Trump sycophants on NT. I've recently had some success in getting them to pull their crap off the site, or at least locking their seeds, by citing FACTS and debunking their posits.

It seems that they abhor being asked to defend what they post here. So much so that some of them actually insist that they aren't responsible for the content of their seeds or the statements they make in comments. The majority of the time they devolve into demanding that their proclamations be accepted as fact because they say so.

In short, they demand that we all acquiesce to NT being a FAKE NEWS echo chamber. 

Now the whining has escalated and the 'usual suspects' admonish me for being 'uncivil' and 'snarky'. Their 'pearl grasping' drips with hypocrisy. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Dulay @1.1    6 years ago

Good points Dulay. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @1    6 years ago

I love it when you focus on polls instead of winning elections!

Thanks!

Say, can you get all your friends to do as you do?

That would be swell, too!

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.2.1  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2    6 years ago
Say, can you get all your friends to do as you do?

Judging from John's list of friends, they all have minds of their own, even the conservative ones. 

I'd suggest that you get all your friends to do as you do but you'd have to have at least one for that to be viable. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2.2  Tessylo  replied to  Dulay @1.2.1    6 years ago

'I'd suggest that you get all your friends to do as you do but you'd have to have at least one for that to be viable.' chuckle

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
1.3  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  JohnRussell @1    6 years ago
Trump does not have "the people" behind him. 

LOL

trump has the people in the majority of states behind him.

trump = wins 30 states

hillary - wins 20 states.

but ya know...  no matter how one spins the bs... trump is president :)

he will not be impeached

he will be re-elected

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.4  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @1    6 years ago

I heard yesterday that a new poll shows that over 60% of Americans want Trump to appoint a moderate or liberal Supreme Court justice, while only around a third say the justice should be very conservative. This is more evidence Trump is the leader of a minority political faction that is attempting to usurp the right to rule by presidential fiat. 

Evidence??  I might be believe it if I see the poll and know it's not put up by some biased and left leaning source. Do you have link to this mystery poll. What the great and unwashed masses think and want doesn't matter all that much, because the party in power gets to make their choice when it comes to filling a Supreme Court vacancy. I'm sure the other candidate would have nominated a far left judge from th 9th Circuit had she won.

The way things appear to be going is that Trump will get a good and reliable conservative confirmed, and that Ginsberg will tap out before the end of his first term. If all goes well and as predicted, he might get to appoint another one of two judges before he leaves office at the end of his second term. .

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.4.1  bugsy  replied to  Greg Jones @1.4    6 years ago
I heard

I "heard" that Hillary was going to get elected, but, we all now how that worked out...

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.4.2  cjcold  replied to  Greg Jones @1.4    6 years ago

You write as a Russian would.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2  Sean Treacy    6 years ago

d his minions, such as we see here on Newstalkers, to bamboozle and constantly lie to the American people. 

Is bamboozling like claiming the President has support of 35% of the people when no poll shows that?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @2    6 years ago

He has had a bedrock of 35% and did hit that low a few times since he took office.  Gallup has polled Trumps approval every week . He has been in the low forties for the past couple months, but was under 40 many times over the past year and a half. 

Sean, there is no measure that shows us trump represents "the people".  He represents his deplorables and a scattering of others. Yet he "rules" as if the deplorables are a majority. That is what a delusional personality in power gets us. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1    6 years ago

It's not Trump's fault that the Democrats can't come up with acceptable and electable candidates. It's also not Trump's fault that the Democrats have nothing to offer, they've gone way far to the left and haven't had an original thought since the 90's

96WS6
Junior Quiet
2.2  96WS6  replied to  Sean Treacy @2    6 years ago

No that is not bamboozling it is "liberal facts"

96WS6
Junior Quiet
3  96WS6    6 years ago

BO's approval ratings were in the 40's for most of his tenure and when the hell will you learn polls are bullshit?   After the NEXT time the media tries to brainwash you?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  96WS6 @3    6 years ago

Obama was elected in 2008 by a MAJORITY of the voters.  He had over 7 percent more votes than his opponent. 

Percentage Obama 52.9% McCain 45.7%

Trump has never been approved by a majority, and does not "rule" according to the fact that he is approved by only a minority. He rules as if he got 100% of the vote.  And so do his deplorable followers. 

96WS6
Junior Quiet
3.1.1  96WS6  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1    6 years ago

LMFAO AGAIN!   How telling (as usual) you totally deflected from my comment.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.2  author  JohnRussell  replied to  96WS6 @3.1.1    6 years ago

A lot of Trump's supporters are as deluded as he is, and that is one of the points. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1    6 years ago

Trump doesn't need approval.

Where do you get this crap from? Do you think the President rules according to POLLS?

LMAO!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.4  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.3    6 years ago
Trump doesn't need approval.

LOL. You are the one who claims "the people" are behind Trump. Prove it.  In the only measurement you seem to permit, the 2016 election, he failed to even win a plurality, let alone a majority of the vote. Thus he does not have "the people" behind him, even by using the only measure you agree to. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
3.1.5  MrFrost  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.4    6 years ago

Trump is at 43% right now, and trending down. He has never been above 46% since he has been in office. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.6  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.4    6 years ago

And WTF difference does it make how many voted for him? 
He won--period.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3.1.7  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1    6 years ago
He rules as if he got 100% of the vote.

So what's wrong with that? That's how it works in Foggy Bottom. Quit whining and help your party win some elections. Your talents are being wasted here.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.8  Texan1211  replied to  Greg Jones @3.1.7    6 years ago

Clowns still think polls matter, and any President should run his Admin. according to the POLLS!!!!

Heck, if that were the case, we wouldn't have been saddled with Obamacare!

cjcold
Professor Quiet
3.1.9  cjcold  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.8    6 years ago

How does one get saddled with Obamacare? What does that even mean?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.10  Texan1211  replied to  cjcold @3.1.9    6 years ago

Are you freaking kidding me?

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.2  Dulay  replied to  96WS6 @3    6 years ago
when the hell will you learn polls are bullshit?

You should share that with your cohorts who post the outlying Rasmussen polls almost every month. 

96WS6
Junior Quiet
3.2.1  96WS6  replied to  Dulay @3.2    6 years ago

Trust me.  I do.  Polls are purposely slanted and are nothing more than a feeble attempt at brainwashing that frankly, only work on, and are regurgitated by, the feeble minded, and those with such low self esteem they seek only to be part of the "winning crowd".

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.2.2  Dulay  replied to  96WS6 @3.2.1    6 years ago

Well I have found that there are all too many here that cannot even be shamed into educating themselves. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2.3  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @3.2    6 years ago

Polls don't matter so much anymore.

I don't know why the losing side is so focused on something that had never mattered.

Y'all act as if Trump isn't President and that his power is somehow limited because some people don't like his policies.

Tough. 

Win an election and change things, as a famous Democrat once said.

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.2.4  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @3.2.3    6 years ago
Polls don't matter so much anymore.

Then why does Trump bring them up all the time? He tweets about Rasmussen almost every time their poll comes out. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
3.2.5  MrFrost  replied to  Dulay @3.2.4    6 years ago

Only when they show him up. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.2.6  Dulay  replied to  MrFrost @3.2.5    6 years ago

Yep, that seems his practice. It shows just how important the numbers are to Trump. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2.7  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @3.2.4    6 years ago

Why don't you ask your President that?

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.2.8  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @3.2.7    6 years ago
Why don't you ask your President that?

I wasn't aware that any President is a member here. /s

BTFW, why deflect? 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2.9  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @3.2.8    6 years ago

Deflect?

It would be a deflection if I knew and refused to answer, but I don't know--hence the suggestion you ask your President that if the answer is really, really important to you!

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.2.10  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @3.2.9    6 years ago

What's his NT handle? 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2.11  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @3.2.10    6 years ago

Gee, and here I thought you knew everything!

Look it up yourself if you are that interested!

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.2.12  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @3.2.11    6 years ago
Gee, and here I thought you knew everything!

Wow, that comes very close to admitting that you CAN be wrong. Careful...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2.13  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @3.2.12    6 years ago

Actually, read the post again, It wasn't a statement of what I know, but what I thought YOU knew.

SMDH

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.2.14  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @3.2.13    6 years ago
It wasn't a statement of what I know, but what I thought YOU knew. SMDH

Yes and you admitted that you were wrong about what you thought I knew.

Dig away...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2.15  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @3.2.14    6 years ago

That is correct--I was WRONG about what I thought you knew.

Some of us can admit to being wrong, some of us can't.

I made the mistake of giving you too much credit, but it won't happen ever again, rest assured.

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.2.16  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @3.2.15    6 years ago
That is correct--I was WRONG about what I thought you knew.

I checked outside to make sure the world hadn't ended. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2.17  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @3.2.16    6 years ago

Gee, didn't your world basically end when Trump became your President?

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3.2.18  Greg Jones  replied to  Dulay @3.2.2    6 years ago

shamed into educating themselves

We did educate ourselves, that's why we would never vote for crooked Hillary. (Deleted).

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2.19  Texan1211  replied to  Greg Jones @3.2.18    6 years ago

Perfect!

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.2.20  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @3.2.17    6 years ago
Gee, didn't your world basically end when Trump became your President?

Actually, we are still chugging along, working, experimenting with new recipes, tending our garden, caring for our octogenarian parents and fishing whenever we can get away. Thanks for asking. 

BTW, Trump isn't MY President, he merely holds the office. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2.21  Texan1211  replied to  Greg Jones @3.2.18    6 years ago

Just more elitism on display.

Some think they know it all, and no amount of arguing will ever change it. They don't see what we see.

But I like when they do this-----it worked so well for them in 2016 that they can't wait to double down on stupid!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2.22  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @3.2.20    6 years ago

Deleted

Trump is the President of America, and everyone in it.

Like it or not, dem's da facts!

Whining about it doesn't change facts.

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.2.23  Dulay  replied to  Greg Jones @3.2.18    6 years ago
We did educate ourselves, that's why we would never vote for crooked Hillary.(Removed for context)

But not enough to follow the topic of a thread...

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.2.24  Tessylo  replied to  Dulay @3.2.20    6 years ago
'BTW, Trump isn't MY President, he merely holds the office.'

Agreed!  NOT MY 'PRESIDENT'

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
3.2.25  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Tessylo @3.2.24    6 years ago

so. ya have no president, but ya complain about ours?

that is a new concept... LOL

96WS6
Junior Quiet
3.2.26  96WS6  replied to  Dulay @3.2.2    6 years ago

The only people polls shame are the ones silly enough to try to pedal them as facts.

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.2.27  Dulay  replied to  96WS6 @3.2.26    6 years ago
The only people polls shame are the ones silly enough to try to pedal them as facts.

Who said anything about 'polls' shaming anyone?

To paraphrase you statement, the shame SHOULD arise from recognizing that one has been feeble minded and had such low self esteem that one seeked only to be part of the "winning crowd" and thereby lost one's dignity.

That doesn't happen very often around here OR in the real world. Instead of admitting shame and attempting to do better, they lash out with vitriol in a feeble attempt to 'save face'. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4  Texan1211    6 years ago

It is kind of cute watching posts about polls day after day after day.

Tell me, what have the polls done for you?

Is Trump no longer President?

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
4.1  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Texan1211 @4    6 years ago

Soon enough.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @4.1    6 years ago

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
4.1.2  Greg Jones  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.1    6 years ago

2024. And then it will be Nikki Haley's turn.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  Greg Jones @4.1.2    6 years ago

I'm good with that!

Rmando
Sophomore Silent
5  Rmando    6 years ago

National polls about abortion are a bit misleading and don't reflect the opinions of the people state by state:

Senators up for reelection this year like Heitkamp, Donnelly and especially Joe Manchin are going to be looking at the polls in their home states to decide on the SCOTUS nominee. West Virginia in particular is very pro life. Trump didn't get elected by reflecting nationwide polls. He got elected by winning individual states.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Rmando @5    6 years ago
Trump didn't get elected by reflecting nationwide polls. He got elected by winning individual states.

Then let him be the Supreme Leader of those states and leave everyone else the hell alone on a national level. We'll see how long the people of Wisconsin or Michigan tolerate Trump as their god. 

Rmando
Sophomore Silent
5.1.1  Rmando  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1    6 years ago

I feel the same way about making Hillary the Queen of the Blue States.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
5.1.3  MrFrost  replied to    6 years ago
Trumps is trying his hardest to get government out of my life I guess some people love the government more than freedom.

So you are pro-choice? Or is, "keeping the government out of your life", for men only? 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
5.1.4  Hal A. Lujah  replied to    6 years ago

Are you that guy who changes his oil over the storm drain?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.5  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1    6 years ago

First off, Trump is President of all 50 states, and any suggestion otherwise is foolish.

Trump may be a god to some of you, but most adults know better.

relax--in 2020 elect someone you like better.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
6  Cerenkov    6 years ago

He won a plurality of the Electoral College. If you don't know the rules, you shouldn't play the game.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1  Texan1211  replied to  Cerenkov @6    6 years ago

Come on now.

Everyone knows Hillary ran to win the popular vote!

Hmmm...…....I wonder whose turn it is to shine her little second-place trophy?

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
7  The Magic 8 Ball    6 years ago
 the confident belief of Trumpsters that THEY represent "the American people". 

nope.

I do not represent anyone on the left and I doubt other trumpsters think that either.

but our belief that trump represents our country?  yes

does he represent "everyone's" ideology?  of course not.  that would be silly.

freepress
Freshman Silent
8  freepress    6 years ago

Republicans want a king, they want a dictator, they don't want to work, it is so much easier to allow themselves to be bribed and sold to the highest bidder to achieve their extreme right wing ideology.

Bush was their savior until that all fell apart and failed, the Republicans fired up the fake grassroots "tea party" and that sent things even further away from the majority of Americans. 

Now we have gone full tilt off the rails with Trump and the level of corruption, nepotism, cronyism and full blown Republican thievery that Americans are outraged they could be deprived of the popular vote only to see everything in America totally abandoned with a price tag stuck to it.

Trump has never visited our troops in a war zone, he never served, on the 4th of July a gaggle of Republicans went to RUSSIA!!!

Those Republicans did not visit our troops in a war zone, they did not celebrate with the American people, they went to RUSSIA!!!

Republicans went to Russia even though a bipartisan report confirmed once again, for about the third time that Russia meddled in our elections. How patriotic.

Trump and Republicans care nothing about America, our democracy, our troops or our people, everything is up for sale, everything is to be exploited, and used to their own ends for a profit.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.1  Texan1211  replied to  freepress @8    6 years ago

Show us all where any Republican has said he or she wants a king, or a dictator, or doesn't want to work.

Source for that?

A link would be nice!

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
9  The Magic 8 Ball    6 years ago

at least now the left knows the USA is not a democracy and the national majority means nothing.

a harder way to learn the obvious there never was.

cheers :)

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
10  Ronin2    6 years ago

This should have sunk in a long time ago it has been repeated so often. Polls don't mean shit. Depending on who is conducting the poll; how it is worded; and the segment of population that is polled the results could be flat out wrong. 

This was true when the right had a melt down when Romney lost to Obama after polls showed a much closer race.  It is just as true when the left melted down after polls showed Hillary winning in a "land slide" over Trump.

This country has not been, and never will be run on polls. Trump is President no matter how much he is hated. The Republicans are in control of the House and Senate.  The Democrats handed the Republicans a gift by installing the nuclear option on judicial nominees back when they were power.  No matter how much the left hates it the Republicans won the elections legally; and are using rules the Democrats installed to get their way.

Want things changed win elections outside of the leftist coasts.  Of course you might want to stop disparaging everyone in fly over country first.  We tend to hold a grudge.   

freepress
Freshman Silent
11  freepress    6 years ago

They need to use every legal procedure in the process to delay this and put McConnell in his place. Turnabout is fair play so let's play fair. Do unto others as they have done to you. Block it.