╌>

Panama, China start free trade talks, eye regional hub

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  kavika  •  6 years ago  •  33 comments

Panama, China start free trade talks, eye regional hub

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

PANAMA CITY (Reuters) - Panama and China opened free trade talks on Monday with the aim of crafting an agreement that could turn the Central American country into a hub for Chinese goods across Latin America.

Panama’s Minister for Trade and Industry Augusto Arosemena said the first round of talks would last until Friday, July 13, and establish the basis for the rest of the negotiation.

Traditionally close to Washington because the U.S. had controlled its famous shipping canal for decades, Panama has set its sights on attracting more inward investment from China.

More Chinese investment, Arosemena told reporters, would enable Panama “to position ourselves as the port of entry of these products and investment for the whole region.”

China’s ambassador to Panama, Wei Qiang, said Panama could become a hub for Chinese firms, notably in manufacturing.

Panama’s chief negotiator, Alberto Aleman, said the trade agreement aimed to include some 20 chapters in total.

The trade talks follow Panama’s establishment of diplomatic ties with China in 2017.

Since then, the isthmian nation and the world’s second-largest economy have signed around 20 agreements and established direct flights between them.

A second round of trade talks is expected to take place in August, though no precise date has been set yet.

Reporting by Elida Moreno; Editing by Phil Berlowitz

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

China is already in control of most of the ports and the canal itself...follow the links for more information on this.

https://www.thetrumpet.com/13973-china-buys-panamas-largest-port

http://themengesproject.blogspot.com/2008/10/chinas-control-of-panama-canal.html

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Kavika
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Kavika     6 years ago

Click on the two links above to see how much of the Panama Canal China controls....

Nona62
Professor Silent
1.2  Nona62  replied to  Kavika @1    6 years ago

Interesting info Chief !!  Thanks !!

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.2.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Nona62 @1.2    6 years ago

Happy that you enjoyed it Nona.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  seeder  Kavika     6 years ago

One of the interesting (sad) things is that after the US transferred the control to Panama, we could have bid on operating the ports and CFS stations...Sadly we didn't do anything and now the Chinese are firmly entrenched there. 

So much for the US knowing how to play the long game.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Kavika @2    6 years ago

We never play the long game. We are a nation of instant gratification. The Chinese on the other hand, have a very, very long history, and the one thing they have learned is watch, listen, and to quietly make their moves to gain power. Not sure? These dudes mean something: 

Image result for terracotta warriors

Image result for terracotta warriors

Kind of like what they are doing with all the major tradeways...
I never think about trade wars. They are the short game. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1    6 years ago

I believe that China decided some time ago that the US couldn't be their biggest market, too many eggs in one basket so to speak.

Sine 2014 their investments in Europe have increased, acquiring property and the purchase of EU sovereignty  bonds, similar to our treasury bonds. 

Long game for sure.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
2.2  SteevieGee  replied to  Kavika @2    6 years ago

The US plays the "this will make me look good until the next election" game.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.2.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  SteevieGee @2.2    6 years ago

Unfortunately that does seem to be our trade policy, SteevieGee. 

Enoch
Masters Quiet
3  Enoch    6 years ago

Dear Brother Kavika: Seems some never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity.

Will not bode well in future for us.

E.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Enoch @3    6 years ago
Seems some never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity.

IMO, we seem to be missing a lot of opportunities in world trade and growth...The short game as I like to call it. 

Enoch
Masters Quiet
3.1.1  Enoch  replied to  Kavika @3.1    6 years ago

Dear Brother Kavika; Shorts are for under fashions, never for policy.

Enoch, In My Tidy Whities, Doing a Ten Year Pro Forma.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.2  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Enoch @3.1.1    6 years ago

Jockey or Hanes?

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.1.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Kavika @3.1.2    6 years ago

If jockeys wear jockey shorts, do lawyers wear legal briefs?

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.4  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3.1.3    6 years ago

LOL, good one.

Enoch
Masters Quiet
3.1.5  Enoch  replied to  Kavika @3.1.2    6 years ago

Dear Brother Kavika: Gotkas.

Boxers, actually.

Enoch, Sporting a Mean Left Hook and Right Upper Cut Combo. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
4  seeder  Kavika     6 years ago

Sure would have liked to see this get more comments and have a discussion on this and how the Chinese are making moves, both physically and financially through out the world....

Oh well, guess it better to piss and moan about politics. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika @4    6 years ago

I would comment if I knew anything about trade.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1    6 years ago
I would comment if I knew anything about trade.

Well do you think that we will ''win'' a trade war with China?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika @4.1.1    6 years ago

I very much doubt it

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1.3  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.2    6 years ago

I've always maintained that no one wins a trade war. All parties involved get hurt. And if this continues both sides are going to get hurt.  

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika @4.1.3    6 years ago

Arkansas is the largest rice producer in the US. It also produces soy beans. I see Arkansas farmers being hurt by this trade war but I don't know if I can be sympathetic since this state went for trump

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1.5  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.4    6 years ago
Arkansas is the largest rice producer in the US. It also produces soy beans. I see Arkansas farmers being hurt by this trade war but I don't know if I can be sympathetic since this state went for trump

Same in Missouri, Trout. A lot of soybeans and other commodities grown here and the farmers will be hurt. 

The announcement today by Trump that they have targeted another $200 billion for tariffs surely will lead to retaliation by the Chinese. 

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
4.2  SteevieGee  replied to  Kavika @4    6 years ago

It's pretty clear that the Chinese leadership is smarter than the US leadership right now.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.2.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  SteevieGee @4.2    6 years ago

What it's seems that many Americans are not seeing are the moves by the Chinese on a world wide basis. Huge investments in Africa and South America and Europe.

Without a doubt China will be hurt by these tariffs, but so will the US. Where China is besting us is in their investment throughout the world. The article just shows how well situated they are in South and Central America. 

China has two other trade lanes that are larger than the US trade. Inter Asia and the EU..

It's going to be interesting to see how this proceeds.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
4.2.2  SteevieGee  replied to  Kavika @4.2.1    6 years ago

China seems to be well positioned to ride this trade war out.  While we pursue isolationist policies the rest of the world will move on without us.

tomwcraig
Junior Silent
4.2.3  tomwcraig  replied to  SteevieGee @4.2.2    6 years ago

If they and the rest of the world is going to be able to ride this out, why are they whining about it?

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.2.4  seeder  Kavika   replied to  SteevieGee @4.2.2    6 years ago

If this turns into all out trade war, China will be hurt, no doubt about that, as will the US. The other thing to take into consideration is that we now seem to be at the trade war level with our best allies..EU, Canada and Mexico..On going tariffs by these countries will add to the pain the US will feel. 

IMO, this is a no win situation no mater what the administration states. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.2.5  seeder  Kavika   replied to  tomwcraig @4.2.3    6 years ago

They are not whining about it Tom, just pointing out how stupid it is and retaliating with their own tariffs.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
5  Bob Nelson    6 years ago

Hmmm............. Are we maybe perhaps could be seeing a kinda sorta pattern here?    Giggle

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1  seeder  Kavika   replied to  Bob Nelson @5    6 years ago

Seems that we are seeing a pattern, one that we, the US, should be paying attention to.