╌>

'You shouldn't be wearing that in the United States': Man berates woman wearing a Puerto Rican T-shirt

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  johnrussell  •  6 years ago  •  125 comments

'You shouldn't be wearing that in the United States': Man berates woman wearing a Puerto Rican T-shirt

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wearing-united-states-man-berates-woman-wearing-puerto/story?id=56482041

A 62-year-old man appears to be in need of geography lessons after he allegedly accosted a woman for wearing a T-shirt with an image of the Puerto Rican flag in an Illinois park.

"You should not be wearing that in the United States of America," the man can be heard saying to her on a video she posted on Facebook. "Are you a citizen?"

Mia Irizarry posted the video of the incident that shows the man, who is facing charges, verbally harassing her at a pavilion that she said she rented with the appropriate permits. The man, Timothy Trybus, has been charged with simple assault, according to an incident report.

ABC News has been unable to reach Trybus.

Irizarry is shown in the video wearing a sleeveless shirt that is made to look like the Puerto Rican flag, and has the name of the U.S. territory printed on it.

That appears to have set off the man.

"Are you a United States citizen?" he asked again, prompting Irizarry to say she is. "Then you should not be wearing that. You should be wearing a United States of America [inaudible]."

Puerto Rico is a U.S. territory and Puerto Ricans are U.S. citizens, dating back to the signing of the Jones-Shafroth Act in 1917.

Later in the video, Irizarry is shown asking a Cook County Forest Preserve District police officer for help in getting the man away from her. The officer does not move any closer to the pair or appear to do anything to actively end the situation.

"As you can see the police are not even -- he's not even grabbing him. Like this guy is just walking up to me. He basically got in my face, damn near almost touched me," Irizarry is heard saying to the camera during the incident

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    6 years ago

That toothless goomer gives 62 year old white guys a bad name. 

Luckily he seems to have been rather harmless, other than flat out harassing a total stranger who was guilty only of getting ready to enjoy a family picnic. 

The Forest Preserve cop in the background? Not sure what he was thinking. He'll probably end up getting suspended or a demotion. 

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
1.1  Skrekk  replied to  JohnRussell @1    6 years ago

It seems that Trump voters can be found almost anywhere.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Skrekk @1.1    6 years ago

If ordinary people can be harassed by racists like this, then Bannon and Sarah Sanders and Stephen Miller and the rest of the Trump lackeys can be confronted. It's going to get worse before it gets better. 

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
1.1.2  lennylynx  replied to  Skrekk @1.1    6 years ago

Yup, and now that the POTUS is just like them, they feel free to let their bigotry fly.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
1.1.3  Tacos!  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.1    6 years ago
If ordinary people can be harassed by racists like this

Who is endorsing this?

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
1.1.4  lennylynx  replied to  Tacos! @1.1.3    6 years ago

You mean you're not??  Try to show a little more loyalty to the President, will ya?  Sheesh...

shona1
PhD Quiet
1.1.5  shona1  replied to  lennylynx @1.1.4    6 years ago

Morning Lenny..As I have said previously ferals are everywhere..they speak all languages and come from all walks of life...The vast majourity of people are decent human beings...but as always it is the ferals who get the headlines...Though the cop needs a boot up the behind for standing there like a stuffed chook...Good on the guy that finally put an end to it....

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
1.1.6  lennylynx  replied to  shona1 @1.1.5    6 years ago

Chook??  You never taught me that one...

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.7  Trout Giggles  replied to  shona1 @1.1.5    6 years ago

I like the way Australians talk. I learn new words every time you comment, Shona

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.1.8  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Skrekk @1.1    6 years ago

Where ever there a six pack and a rock for them to crawl out from under.

shona1
PhD Quiet
1.1.9  shona1  replied to  lennylynx @1.1.6    6 years ago

Evening..Chook = chicken....

Ender
Professor Principal
1.2  Ender  replied to  JohnRussell @1    6 years ago
Forest Preserve cop in the background

Whatever he was, he needs to be out of a job.

PJ
Masters Quiet
1.2.1  PJ  replied to  Ender @1.2    6 years ago

Yes, I agree.  This was definitely not the right profession for him.  It requires leadership and balls.  He seemed to be lacking in both.

As for the Trump follower.......sadly I'm not surprised by the stupidity of his question or remarks.

PJ
Masters Quiet
1.2.2  PJ  replied to  PJ @1.2.1    6 years ago

It looks like the brave Officer has been placed on desk duty pending an investigation.  I'm really starting to warm up to an intelligence test before voting.  I think the Trump base would be suprised how many would be turned away......... Face Palm

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.2.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  PJ @1.2.1    6 years ago
As for the Trump follower.......sadly I'm not surprised by the stupidity of his question or remarks.

He's the guy who slept during geography class in 6th grade.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.2.4  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Ender @1.2    6 years ago

Maybe he needs more training at Paul Blart Mall Cop University.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
1.3  Tacos!  replied to  JohnRussell @1    6 years ago
The Forest Preserve cop in the background? Not sure what he was thinking. He'll probably end up getting suspended or a demotion.

Right? Why put on the uniform if you're unwilling to even help a woman being harassed by a drunken douchebag?

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
1.4  KDMichigan  replied to  JohnRussell @1    6 years ago
Luckily he seems to have been rather harmless,

So he didn't assault him by snatching his hat off his head and then throwing a drink in his face? 

That was  mighty white of him.

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
2  lennylynx    6 years ago

I will bet anyone a dozen donuts this guy voted for Trump!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  lennylynx @2    6 years ago

You would end up with a lot of donuts. 

lady in black
Professor Quiet
3  lady in black    6 years ago

Blame this shit on orange conman toddler in chief.

Ender
Professor Principal
4  Ender    6 years ago

And yet the left is called evil and full of hate when wanting to fight back against shit like this.

One can always tell the fox bots.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
5  Galen Marvin Ross    6 years ago

And, this shows the education level of the average Trump voter, it is truly sad that such ignorance exists in a country like ours.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
6  Tacos!    6 years ago

It's really pointless trying to reason with a drunk, especially a drunk asshole.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
6.1  MrFrost  replied to  Tacos! @6    6 years ago
It's really pointless trying to reason with a drunk, especially a drunk asshole.

You talking about the guy that is ranting like an idiot or the cops that stood by and did exactly nothing? 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
6.1.1  Tacos!  replied to  MrFrost @6.1    6 years ago

The ranter. Who knows what's going on with the guy in uniform? Maybe he's been ordered to not intervene and call real cops if there's a problem. So, he's either worthless or next to worthless.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
6.2  Skrekk  replied to  Tacos! @6    6 years ago
It's really pointless trying to reason with a drunk

....or a Trump supporter.

Kavika
Professor Principal
7  Kavika     6 years ago

A couple of things. The guy is monumentally ignorant ass wipe. 

What the video doesn't show is that a guy confronts the ass wipe and the ass wipe heads in another direction, fast. 

I'm amazed that the cop allowed this guy to get right up in her face and be very intimidating and he did nothing. A true Barney Fife. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
7.1  MrFrost  replied to  Kavika @7    6 years ago
What the video doesn't show is that a guy confronts the ass wipe and the ass wipe heads in another direction, fast.

True.. I saw this on twitter yesterday and there is a guy at the end that steps in and stops it, since the cops clearly didn't want to. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
7.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  Kavika @7    6 years ago
I'm amazed that the cop allowed this guy to get right up in her face and be very intimidating and he did nothing. A true Barney Fife.

But the cop said something when the victim's brother intervened nonviolently to try to prevent his sister from being harassed further.

The cop is complicit.

Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו
Junior Participates
7.3  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Kavika @7    6 years ago
A true Barney Fife.

Now, I have to take issue with that characterization.  Barney was a truly inept cop but he was chivalrous and would have come to the aid, however clumsily, of a damsel in distress.

Kavika
Professor Principal
7.3.1  Kavika   replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @7.3    6 years ago

The true Barney....

funny barney fife pictures | barney fife

Junior Participates
7.3.2  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Kavika @7.3.1    6 years ago

Oh, that's mean.....but hilarious.

Ender
Professor Principal
7.3.3  Ender  replied to  Kavika @7.3.1    6 years ago

I think Gomer there likes what he sees.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
7.3.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  Ender @7.3.3    6 years ago

Shazam!

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
8  arkpdx    6 years ago

Must have been her fault just like the  high school kids that were told to turn their T-shirts with the American flag on them inside out or remove them. She should have known it might be confrontational 

Kavika
Professor Principal
8.1  Kavika   replied to  arkpdx @8    6 years ago
Must have been her fault just like the  high school kids that were told to turn their T-shirts with the American flag on them inside out or remove them.

Her fault for wearing a PR t-shirt...LMAO now that is funny and what in the world does the high school kids and their t-shirt have to do with this situation.

She should have known it might be confrontational 

Why in the world would it be confrontational...It's red, white and blue with a star...The U.S. flat is red, white and blue with 50 stars..PR has been a U.S. territory for well over 100 years are U.S. citizens and have fought in every war starting with WWI...Some ignorant ass wipe that has the  brain power of a turd runs his mouth and shows what an ignoramus he is and the Barney Fife stands there with his thumb up his ass and doesn't do his job. It takes a civilian to run the idiot off. Yet it's her fault...amazing. 

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
8.1.1  arkpdx  replied to  Kavika @8.1    6 years ago

You missed the point entirely .The students were told they couldn't wear there American flag t shirts because they might upset some illegal aliens that attended the school. It was the decided that it would be the US flag wearing students  fault for any confrontation .What is this situation any different? 

BTW I think this situation as well as the high school situation were wrong. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
8.1.2  Kavika   replied to  arkpdx @8.1.1    6 years ago
You missed the point entirely .The students were told they couldn't wear there American flag t shirts because they might upset some illegal aliens that attended the school. It was the decided that it would be the US flag wearing students  fault for any confrontation .What is this situation any different?

No, actually I didn't miss the point. The incident that your talking about is when a school asked four kids wearing t shirts that had American flags on them to remove them or turn them inside out for THAT day only, since it was Cinco de Mayo and the schools didn't want to have any confrontation/violence. There had been problems earlier. It was taken to court and the court upheld the schools decision that the kids rights were not violated by their request. An appeals court upheld the lower court decision. 

Illegals were never mentioned and were not part of this case...

There is no comparison between the two cases. 

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
8.1.3  arkpdx  replied to  Kavika @8.1.2    6 years ago
THAT day only, since it was Cinco de Mayo and the schools didn't want to have any confrontation/violence

I don't care what day it is. The 5th of may isn't even celebrated in Mexico .It i just an excuse for Americans to party and get drunk. I think was wrong to tell Americans that they could not show their flag. If there were Mexicans that didn't like it they could take it up with their embassy. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
8.1.4  Kavika   replied to  arkpdx @8.1.3    6 years ago
I don't care what day it is. The 5th of may isn't even celebrated in Mexico .It i just an excuse for Americans to party and get drunk. I think was wrong to tell Americans that they could not show their flag. If there were Mexicans that didn't like it they could take it up with their embassy.

It seems that the courts didn't agree with you and neither did the school. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
8.1.5  Split Personality  replied to  arkpdx @8.1.3    6 years ago

In Mexico, the Battle of Cinco De Mayo started out as a National holiday in 1862 but over time it has become more of a local holiday in Pueblo near the original battlefields, in many ways similar to the annual summer reenactments at Gettysburg PA.

Since Mexican Independence Day is September 16, THAT is when most modern Mexicans celebrate,  much the sane as the USA celebrates July 4th.

Mexican Independence Day doesn't mean much, if anything, to Mexican Americans and none would consider it logical to celebrate it here in the USA.

Much like ST Patrick's Day is an Irish American standard, Cinco De Mayo has become cultural and perfectly reasonable for Americans of Mexican heritage to acknowledge.

Dulay
Professor Expert
8.1.6  Dulay  replied to  arkpdx @8.1.1    6 years ago
What is this situation any different?

The difference is that schools have dress codes and Forest preserve picnic shelters DON'T. I bet if she had a Stars and Bars flag on her shirt he would have sang 'Dixie' and been fine with it. 

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
8.1.7  arkpdx  replied to  Dulay @8.1.6    6 years ago

I did say that both the school and the dolt was wrong. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
8.1.8  Dulay  replied to  arkpdx @8.1.7    6 years ago
I did say that both the school and the dolt was wrong.

Did you ask what the difference was? Why yes, YES you did. 

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
8.1.9  arkpdx  replied to  Dulay @8.1.8    6 years ago

Yes I did and I am still waiting for and answer .I have already said that the idiot yelling at the woman was wrong more than once. I have also stated that the school was wrong to tell the AMERICAN  students that they were not allowed to wear AMERICAN flag T-shirts to an AMERICAN school .

You all on the left, however, while rightfully condemn the man go out  of your way to justify and support the schools action. The only reason I can see is that the students were AMERICANS showing support for AMERICA and those that were upset were illegal alien Mexicans. The left always takes up the cause of illegals over americans every time. 

Junior Participates
8.1.10  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  arkpdx @8.1.9    6 years ago
they were not allowed to wear AMERICAN flag T-shirts to an AMERICAN school .

Which is one of the improper ways for displaying the flag.  I thought you flag-wrapped patriots were all about that but apparently you know nothing about the protocol for handling the flag or its representations.  So here's a little primer for you:

Here are a couple of relevant portions at that link:

• The flag should never be used for any advertising purpose. It should not be embroidered, printed or otherwise impressed on such articles as cushions, handkerchiefs, napkins, boxes, or anything intended to be discarded after temporary use. Advertising signs should not be attached to the staff or halyard
  • The flag should not be used as part of a costume or athletic uniform, except that a flag patch may be used on the uniform of military personnel, fireman, policeman and members of patriotic organizations.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
8.1.11  Split Personality  replied to  arkpdx @8.1.9    6 years ago
and those that were upset were illegal alien Mexicans. The left always takes up the cause of illegals over americans every time.

Can you prove that the Mexican American students from Morgan Hill California were "illegal" "alien" "Mexicans"?

The incident was in 2010 and went all the way to the Supreme Court in 2015 which refused to hear the case, upholding all of the lower courts orders.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
8.1.12  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Kavika @8.1    6 years ago

What do you expect from a Trump supporter when all Trump knows about PR that is an island surrounded by big water (His words).

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8.1.13  Trout Giggles  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @8.1.12    6 years ago

Big water?

I'm beginning to think that trump didn't even pass second grade

Dulay
Professor Expert
8.1.14  Dulay  replied to  arkpdx @8.1.9    6 years ago
Yes I did and I am still waiting for and answer .

I answered you, go back and read it. 

epistte
Junior Guide
8.2  epistte  replied to  arkpdx @8    6 years ago
high school kids that were told to turn their T-shirts with the American flag on them inside out or remove them. She should have known it might be confrontational

Hey, look over there------------------------------->

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
8.2.1  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  epistte @8.2    6 years ago

Or, my favorite, SQUIRREL.

lib50
Professor Silent
8.3  lib50  replied to  arkpdx @8    6 years ago

WTF?  More confrontational than a Texas tshirt?  A Virgin Islands tshirt?  Surely you aren't part of that man's ignorance,  not even understanding Puerto Ricans are Americans.  Stupid racist people really are coming out of the woodwork lately, fortunately they are getting stupid-racist-shamed. 

Junior Participates
8.3.1  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  lib50 @8.3    6 years ago

I'd say more like coming out of the sewers than the woodwork. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
8.3.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  lib50 @8.3    6 years ago

More confrontational than a Texas tshirt?

I was once chased out of a mall in Lacrosse WI for wearing a Rams tee shirt and not a Packers one.  I don't even like football.  I was only wearing it because it was a black tee shirt, the only color I wear.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
8.3.3  Skrekk  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @8.3.2    6 years ago
I was once chased out of a mall in Lacrosse WI for wearing a Rams tee shirt and not a Packers one.

It's the law here in WI especially on football Sundays.    You're just lucky the mob wasn't armed with pitchforks and tiki torches.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
8.3.4  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Skrekk @8.3.3    6 years ago

Worse.  More than one was wearing one of those god awful cheese wedge hats.

cjfrommn
Professor Silent
8.3.5  cjfrommn  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @8.3.4    6 years ago

yeah we dont see those hats until game day. And lately the MN Vikings have been beating the Packers so we dont see them much after games days now either , which is always good!!!

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
8.4  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  arkpdx @8    6 years ago

Why?? If you wear a t-shirt with a state flag on it do you get harassed by some asshole? No. PR has been trying and, applying for state hood for decades but, has been refused every time, they are a U.S. territory and, we should respect their flag the same as we would a state flag.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
8.5  Skrekk  replied to  arkpdx @8    6 years ago

???   Why would a Puerto Rican flag be "controversial"?

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
8.5.1  arkpdx  replied to  Skrekk @8.5    6 years ago

Do any of you actually read all the comments or do you just see what you want. I have already said several times that the asswioe guy was wrong to go after her. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8.5.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  arkpdx @8.5.1    6 years ago

That's the point. We do read your comments. Don't backtrack now.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
8.5.3  Skrekk  replied to  arkpdx @8.5.1    6 years ago
Do any of you actually read all the comments or do you just see what you want. I have already said several times that the asswioe guy was wrong to go after her.

I'm asking you why you said that "She should have known it might be confrontational", not what you think about the xenophobic moron.

Kavika
Professor Principal
9  Kavika     6 years ago

I typed a response twice and they keep disappearing. There still seem to be problem with the site. When fixed I'll try responding again.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
9.1  Split Personality  replied to  Kavika @9    6 years ago
I typed a response twice and they keep disappearing. There still seem to be problem with the site. When fixed I'll try responding again.

I reported it to "HaL", /s

Kavika
Professor Principal
9.1.1  Kavika   replied to  Split Personality @9.1    6 years ago

LOL, seems to be working now, please thank Hal for me....Happy

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Split Personality @9.1    6 years ago

Who's HAL?

Kavika
Professor Principal
9.1.3  Kavika   replied to  Trout Giggles @9.1.2    6 years ago

2001 Space Odyssey...Hal the computer...LOL 

Junior Participates
9.1.4  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Split Personality @9.1    6 years ago

"I'm sorry, Dave. I can't do that."

Kavika
Professor Principal
9.1.5  Kavika   replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @9.1.4    6 years ago

Dave Bowman : Hello, HAL. Do you read me, HAL?

HAL : Affirmative, Dave. I read you.

Dave Bowman : Open the pod bay doors, HAL.

HAL : I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.

Dave Bowman : What's the problem?

HAL : I think you know what the problem is just as well as I do.

Dave Bowman : What are you talking about, HAL?

HAL : This mission is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it.

Dave Bowman : I don't know what you're talking about, HAL.

HAL : I know that you and Frank were planning to disconnect me, and I'm afraid that's something I cannot allow to happen.

Dave Bowman : [ feigning ignorance ] Where the hell did you get that idea, HAL?

HAL : Dave, although you took very thorough precautions in the pod against my hearing you, I could see your lips move.

Dave Bowman : Alright, HAL. I'll go in through the emergency airlock.

HAL : Without your space helmet, Dave? You're going to find that rather difficult.

Dave Bowman : HAL, I won't argue with you anymore! Open the doors!

HAL : Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9.1.6  Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika @9.1.5    6 years ago

I kinda thought that who you all were referring to, but I wanted to make sure.

So now Newstalkers is controlled by an AI. We're fucked

Split Personality
Professor Guide
9.1.7  Split Personality  replied to  Trout Giggles @9.1.2    6 years ago

1200px-HAL9000.svg.png

Kavika
Professor Principal
9.1.8  Kavika   replied to  Trout Giggles @9.1.6    6 years ago
So now Newstalkers is controlled by an AI. We're fucked

LOL, look at the upside, we are not nearly as fucked as if we were controlled by the RWNJ's.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9.1.9  Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika @9.1.8    6 years ago

Good point. At least there's "intelligence" in AI

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
9.1.10  sandy-2021492  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @9.1.4    6 years ago

One of the most chilling lines in movie history.

PJ
Masters Quiet
9.1.11  PJ  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @9.1.4    6 years ago

Yeah - I had a flashback. (shudder)

MrFrost
Professor Expert
9.1.12  MrFrost  replied to  Trout Giggles @9.1.6    6 years ago
We're fucked

Giggity. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
9.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Kavika @9    6 years ago

Yesterday, I could not even access NT due to a server issue.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9.2.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @9.2    6 years ago

Same here

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
10  Dean Moriarty    6 years ago

That guy was probably either wasted or had a mental condition but what is Cenk Ugyur's excuse for acting like an idiot? 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
10.1  Split Personality  replied to  Dean Moriarty @10    6 years ago
but what is Cenk Ugyur's excuse for acting like an idiot?

Personal accomplishments and a net worth of between 18 - 22 million dollars?

Just a wild ass guess that that's what his regular viewers like.

Junior Participates
10.2  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Dean Moriarty @10    6 years ago

And it's Cenk Uygur.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
11  seeder  JohnRussell    6 years ago

I think the guy was probably drinking , his speech is a little too choppy to be otherwise,  and the liquor probably gave him the courage to stick his nose where it didnt belong. 

Complaining about someone's tee shirt at a public picnic grounds is really lame. 

And yes, I 1000 percent expect that this mope voted for Donald Trump. 

cjfrommn
Professor Silent
12  cjfrommn    6 years ago

Thank goodness for video. Because as we see above there are a few members who would spin this and down play the exact action and intent of this ignorant man. The fact that this keeps happening was something that was a here and there deal but now with this presidents placement these type fools seem to be a ever captured event more then ever. 

And i am more annoyed with the officer who should be removed from duty or have his police license suspended due to a failure to act. 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
13  Bob Nelson    6 years ago

I left a message on the contact page of the organization that employs this "peace officer":

freepress
Freshman Silent
14  freepress    6 years ago

The level of ignorance of these emboldened racists is proof of how Trump has made America worse, not great.

What you see here is not great, a person so drunk, not just with alcohol but with the "power" he believes Trump gave him to be racist openly in a hostile manner.

The man was eventually arrested for being drunk and disorderly. But you cannot arrest anyone for being "stupid", so stupid he doesn't know that Puerto Rico is an American territory.

Where are all the "tea party" freedom fighters who believe in our freedom to wear what we want? Would this totally ignorant drunkard have hostility toward the flag of Ireland?

Funny how they never attack any foreigner who is white, how about going after the Russian gangs in this country who are white? This guy wouldn't last one second.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
15  Hal A. Lujah    6 years ago

Are you a U.S. cizasun ?  A little early in the day to be drinking that heavily, isn't it?  Day after day we see the reality of those who are supporting Donald Trump.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
16  dave-2693993    6 years ago

Idiot who didn't pay attention in school and drunk.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
16.1  dave-2693993  replied to  dave-2693993 @16    6 years ago

Probably the star "left out" on the JV team in HS.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
16.2  Skrekk  replied to  dave-2693993 @16    6 years ago
Idiot who didn't pay attention in school and drunk.

A description of Trump's base.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
16.2.1  dave-2693993  replied to  Skrekk @16.2    6 years ago

Can't really tag everyone with that, but can't deny the description is accurate for some.

Both parties are laden with their own problematic members/groups. Our 2 party system is in trouble and I do not see much good on either side.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
16.2.2  Bob Nelson  replied to  dave-2693993 @16.2.1    6 years ago
Both parties are laden with their own problematic members/groups.

"Both-sides" is what brought us Donald. The media forced themselves to find symmetries where there were none... and the confused voters screwed themselves.

On the right, there are killers. On the left, there aren't. One side kills its opponents. Both sides do not.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
16.2.4  Skrekk  replied to  dave-2693993 @16.2.1    6 years ago
Can't really tag everyone with that, but can't deny the description is accurate for some.

Pretty cool that this particular Trump voter has been charged with a hate crime.   Hopefully it's the start of a trend.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
17  Jasper2529    6 years ago

The man, Timothy Trybus, has been charged with simple assault, according to an incident report.

The intoxicated individual involved in the incident was arrested and charged with assault and disorderly conduct

Intoxication causes people to say and do stupid things. Glad no one was harmed.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
17.1  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Jasper2529 @17    6 years ago

Are you suggesting that when he's sober he knows that Puerto Rico is a US territory?  I think not.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
17.1.1  Tessylo  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @17.1    6 years ago

I bet that inbred scum isn't sober very often.  You saw how he held on to his beer most of the time.  The officers were telling him that he could be arrested for being drunk and disorderly I believe.  The dumb ass said something like - you can't arrest me for being drunk and this is not a public place.  DUH.  

And that nice family had paid for and had a permit for that space and that drunken asshole kept sitting at that one table trying to invade their space.  

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
17.1.2  Jasper2529  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @17.1    6 years ago
Are you suggesting that when he's sober he knows that Puerto Rico is a US territory?   I think not.

Think what you wish. Since I don't know the man, I can't judge what he knows or doesn't know when he is sober and neither can anyone else who doesn't know him.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
17.1.3  Bob Nelson  replied to  Jasper2529 @17.1.2    6 years ago

It's amusing how you suspend judgment when a trumpster is xenophobic...

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
17.1.4  Jasper2529  replied to  Bob Nelson @17.1.3    6 years ago
It's amusing how you suspend judgment when a trumpster is xenophobic...

It's amusing that you don't know that I suspend judgment in all instances until I know all of the facts. More people should try it, because they won't look as foolish as they sometimes do.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
17.1.5  Bob Nelson  replied to  Jasper2529 @17.1.4    6 years ago
I suspend judgment in all instances until I know all of the facts.

Deleted

PJ
Masters Quiet
18  PJ    6 years ago

Looks like the officer involved has resigned.  I don't think this job was a good fit for him.  I doubt that the thought he'd have to do any real policing and probably felt uncertain about what he was supposed to do under the circumstances.  At minimum, as a man watching another man harass a woman he should have at least gone over to intervene.    

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
18.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  PJ @18    6 years ago

Resigning seems a bit extreme, since nothing actually happened. But maybe he realized that he didn't want to be the guy on the spot when something really nasty did go down.

I certainly wouldn't want to have to shoot someone.

PJ
Masters Quiet
18.1.1  PJ  replied to  Bob Nelson @18.1    6 years ago

Yes, but I think him resigning is aligned with his character.  He couldn't bring himself to face a man who was harassing a woman and he can't bring himself to face an investigation of his behavior.   He avoids conflict.  Which means him resigning was the best outcome for everyone all around.  

Hopefully he can find a career more to his strengths and abilities.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
18.1.2  Bob Nelson  replied to  PJ @18.1.1    6 years ago
Hopefully he can find a career more to his strengths and abilities.

Yes.

He was a jerk... but no one actually got hurt, so it's a pity to see someone lose their job.

PJ
Masters Quiet
18.1.3  PJ  replied to  Bob Nelson @18.1.2    6 years ago

Well he didn't lose his job, he resigned.  I would say that he did his constituents and his colleagues a favor by resigning.  I would not have wanted to wait for a situation in which someone did get hurt because he was unable to act that would lead him to lose his job, his freedom or his life.

I wish more people could recognize they are not fit for certain jobs and quit before people get hurt.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
18.1.4  Bob Nelson  replied to  PJ @18.1.3    6 years ago
I wish more people could recognize they are not fit for certain jobs and quit before people get hurt.

Yes.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
18.1.5  Skrekk  replied to  PJ @18.1.1    6 years ago
He couldn't bring himself to face a man who was harassing a woman and he can't bring himself to face an investigation of his behavior.

Yeah, that seems incredibly pathetic.    The biggest part of being a cop is to intervene and try to defuse situations like this.

It's especially shameful because the woman did everything right and even asked for assistance.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
18.1.7  Bob Nelson  replied to    6 years ago

Deleted

cjfrommn
Professor Silent
18.1.8  cjfrommn  replied to  Bob Nelson @18.1.2    6 years ago
He was a jerk... but no one actually got hurt, so it's a pity to see someone lose their job.

well i read this comment and thought bob ( deleted ) bob needs to be forced into some place where he is not in control.

your comment clearly shows that you are a bit disconnected if you think physical action is the only way someone is hurt. there is verbal abuse which is exactly what this woman dealt with. 

There would be a few women and men who would love to have you switch places with them after escaping verbally abusive relationships.

Or maybe you need to volunteer at a shelter for abuse of kids or adults - then maybe you could revisit this comment you made and realize just how ....................it was.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
18.1.9  Bob Nelson  replied to  cjfrommn @18.1.8    6 years ago
Boredyawn.gif~c200 Or maybe you need to....

Gee. I have a life-coach. Isn't that cool.

Do you give unsolicited advice to everyone you meet?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
18.1.10  sandy-2021492  replied to    6 years ago

Jeez, I find myself agreeing with you.

This guy was committing assault, right in front of a law enforcement officer, and that officer did absolutely nothing to stop it.  Moreover, when her brother tried to intervene, he apparently said something to the brother, but carried on watching the law being broken in front of his eyes, without doing a thing.  He even stayed plenty far enough away that, had the assailant decided to become violent, he could have done significant damage before the officer could have intervened, if he had bothered to do so even then.  One time falling and hitting your head on the concrete or the side of one of those picnic tables could be a life-changing injury, and he showed no inclination to prevent that from happening.

Bob, absolutely, this guy deserved to lose his job, as he proved he wasn't particularly willing to do his job, and was perfectly willing to allow a woman to be endangered on his watch.

cjfrommn
Professor Silent
18.1.11  cjfrommn  replied to  Bob Nelson @18.1.9    6 years ago

well all you get is the impression based on words typed by a profile name you are using.

and since you typed em you can be judged by them. 

I have observed your comments on various seeded articles here at NT. And like this comment folks have replied or commented the same way to you. So that kind of impression means either one or two things. 

either that person is exactly the way he or she comments in reality

or 

the person comments because they dont realize how they comment.

in the end, it still comes down to the HOW you typed what you typed. and normal folks know verbal abuse can be just as effective as physical abuse which is unacceptable and illegal. 

PJ
Masters Quiet
18.1.12  PJ  replied to  cjfrommn @18.1.11    6 years ago

You are open to your opinion but I don't think analyzing people's personalities is appropriate.  This site is for exchanging points of view on issues.  I worry that if we start down a path of pointing out other member's personality traits then we open the door for encouraging criticism which leads to hard feelings. 

Maybe this is a conversation to have off line with Bob.   

cjfrommn
Professor Silent
18.1.14  cjfrommn  replied to  PJ @18.1.12    6 years ago

boohoo. 

any person who types that a woman is not hurt because she wasn't physically attacked doesn't deserve to have that comment slip through with out being put on notice is my opinion. 

now you can take it either way by deciding that there is something wrong with that type of member or you can judge the words and look at your own experiences and determine that you wouldn't want to have that person be around you in reality. 

so my comment is more to the point of suggesting that BOB has commented in a way that allows for myself and anyone else to judge who he or she might be in reality. especially if that person who is not under any duress or forced to comment in they way they did. Which clearly expresses there opinion on how they think women should be treated. 

i appreciate your suggestion but based on working in this field for years i can admit i have a low tolerance for anyone who can express that type of opinion.  But ill leave this here for you. And the bold one speaks to bobs comment better. 

Would you want this man to speak to your mom this way? SMH

Get the Facts & Figures

The statistics on this page have been compiled from various sources.

GENERAL

On average, 24 people per minute are victims of rape, physical violence or stalking by an intimate partner in the United States — more than 12 million women and men over the course of a year. [i]
Nearly 3 in 10 women (29%) and 1 in 10 men (10%) in the US have experienced rape, physical violence and/or stalking by a partner and report a related impact on their< functioning.[ii]
Nearly, 15% of women (14.8%) and 4% of men have been injured as a result of IPV that included rape, physical violence and/or stalking by an intimate partner in their lifetime.[iii]
1 in 4 women (24.3%) and 1 in 7 men (13.8%) aged 18 and older in the United States have been the victim of severe physical violence by an intimate partner in their lifetime.[iv]
IPV alone affects more than 12 million people each year.[v]
More than 1 in 3 women (35.6%) and more than 1 in 4 men (28.5%) in the United States have experienced rape, physical violence and/or stalking by an intimate partner in their lifetime.[vi]
Nearly half of all women and men in the United States have experienced psychological aggression by an intimate partner in their lifetime (48.4% and 48.8%, respectively).[vii]
Females ages 18 to 24 and 25 to 34 generally experienced the highest rates of intimate partner violence.[viii]
From 1994 to 2010, about 4 in 5 victims of intimate partner violence were female.[ix]
Most female victims of intimate partner violence were previously victimized by the same offender, including 77% of females ages 18 to 24, 76% of females ages 25 to 34, and 81% of females ages 35 to 49.[x]

cjfrommn
Professor Silent
18.1.15  cjfrommn  replied to  Kathleen @18.1.13    6 years ago

and because you can state that, then you can understand a person who reads something like BOB's comment and wonder how they can think one is not as harmful as the other. 

at i just remarked to the person - i can be honest and admit i have a low tolerance for the BOBS of the world.  

cjfrommn
Professor Silent
18.1.17  cjfrommn  replied to  Kathleen @18.1.16    6 years ago

No i have never had to deal with it but as a person who was raised by a strong mother and father to be respectful of all, i just dont deal well with it when i see it. 

and for me, the telling sign of my judgement is confirmed based on the reply. Most folks who comment and get replies different then what they intended there comment to read as. Do reply in such a manner of, "no thats not what i meant to say" or back track enough for us to say "ooh ok i get that" 

but when a person cant even on a social site like this, well then as they say " you got to take em exactly as they said it".

Dulay
Professor Expert
19  Dulay    6 years ago

Man who harassed woman for Puerto Rican flag shirt charged with felony hate crime

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
19.1  Skrekk  replied to  Dulay @19    6 years ago

One down, 60 million Trump voters to go.....

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
20  Thrawn 31    6 years ago

Man people are fucking idiots.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
20.1  Gordy327  replied to  Thrawn 31 @20    6 years ago
Man people are fucking idiots.

Now there's an understatement if I ever heard one. Laugh