╌>

Poll: Obama tops list ranking best president in Americans' lifetime

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jbb  •  6 years ago  •  68 comments

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

More than 40 percent of Americans say that Barack Obama was the best or second-best president in their lifetime, according to a new poll from the Pew Research Center.

The poll asked people in an open-ended format which president has done the best job in their lifetimes, using respondents' first and second choices for the survey's findings.

Forty-four percent of Americans said Obama was either the best or the second-best president in their lifetime, with 33 percent saying the same for Bill Clinton. Thirty-two percent said Ronald Regan was the best or second-best president in their lifetime.

Meanwhile, 19 percent said the same for President Trump, who has been in office since 2017.

The survey notes that Americans' views on the best president is largely tied to their age. Millennials were more likely than older generations to list Obama as the best president in their lifetime, while older Americans are much more likely to name Reagan as the best president.

Sixty-two percent of millennials believe Obama is either the best or second-best president in their lifetime. On the other hand, about 4 in 10 of the two older generations (baby boomers and the the silent generation) named Reagan the best president.

Pew notes that most millenials were born after Reagan presided as president.

The survey shows that a divide along party lines exists. Seventy-one percent of Democrats and Democratic-leaning independents say Obama is the best or second-best president in their lifetime. Meanwhile, 57 percent of Republicans and Republican-leaning independents say Reagan was the best in their lifetime.

The Pew survey was conducted from June 5 to 12 among a population of 2,002 adults. The survey has a margin of error of 2.6 percentage points.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JBB
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JBB    6 years ago

What in hell is wrong with the 19% of Americans who think Trump is worth on damn?

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.2  Greg Jones  replied to  JBB @1    6 years ago

More than 40 percent of Americans say that Barack Obama was the best or second-best president in their lifetime, according to a new poll from the Pew Research Center.

This simply means that almost two thirds of Americans don't think so. Thank heavens the presidency is not a popularity contest, and at this point polls are less than worthless. A second term for Trump is assured by the horrifying behavior of the Democrats/liberals/progressives/Marxists....etc, as of late..

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.2.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Greg Jones @1.2    6 years ago
Thank heavens the presidency is not a popularity contest,

It certainly wasn't in November 2016

JBB
Professor Principal
2  seeder  JBB    6 years ago

Barack Obama is still The Most Admired Man in the World. Donald Trump is not and never will be...

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
2.3  Ronin2  replied to  JBB @2    6 years ago

Yes, NATO still wishes they had their patsy in office.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
3  Mark in Wyoming     6 years ago

presidents during my lifetime? that's everyone from kennedy to today, Obama is in the bottom 2 , just barely below carter , who is just below bush.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
4  Bob Nelson    6 years ago

Eisenhower and Johnson

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
5  Jeremy Retired in NC    6 years ago

40 percent of Americans

And THAT is what makes if bullshit.  Well that and the idea that Obama was of of the "best".

MrFrost
Professor Expert
5.1  MrFrost  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @5    6 years ago

IMG_20170404_151503.jpg IMG_20170220_092412.jpg dowobamatrump.png

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
5.1.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  MrFrost @5.1    6 years ago

Giggle

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
5.1.2  Ronin2  replied to  MrFrost @5.1    6 years ago

There is fiction and then there is reality.

Obama oversaw the slowest economic recovery in US history.

Of course once the economy bottomed out it had no where to go but up; despite Obama's failed attempts to make it conform to his every whim.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
5.1.3  Bob Nelson  replied to  Ronin2 @5.1.2    6 years ago
Of course once the economy bottomed out...

... which just happened to follow rapidly after Obama's election...

Pure coincidence, hmmm?  patience

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
5.1.5  Greg Jones  replied to  MrFrost @5.1    6 years ago

liar

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.7  Tessylo  replied to  NORMAN-D @5.1.6    6 years ago
'Obama Loses 2 Million Followers in Twitter’s Crackdown on Fake Accounts'
Impeach him now!

I'm sure President Obama is just bereft over this.  laughing dude

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
5.1.8  Ronin2  replied to  Bob Nelson @5.1.3    6 years ago

Where did I blame Obama for the recession?  It doesn't change the fact it was the slowest recovery ever.

Obama's numbers would be far more anemic if the economy hadn't bottomed out. The left loves to complain about Bush's 2.7 growth rate; but Obama's was worse.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
5.1.9  Bob Nelson  replied to  Ronin2 @5.1.8    6 years ago
Where did I blame Obama for the recession?

I wasn't aware that you had...

MrFrost
Professor Expert
5.1.10  MrFrost  replied to  NORMAN-D @5.1.4    6 years ago
Source: @failGOP / donkeyfeed.com ?????

Dispute the numbers? Oh wait, you can't, as usual.. LOL 

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
5.1.12  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  MrFrost @5.1    6 years ago

No source.  No surprise  You get that from one of your anonymous sources?

MrFrost
Professor Expert
5.1.13  MrFrost  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @5.1.12    6 years ago

Dispute the numbers... We'll wait...

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
5.1.15  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  MrFrost @5.1.13    6 years ago

Right after you post your source.  And if I remember correctly, I've called you out on this before.  And I'm still waiting for that one.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
5.1.17  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  XDm9mm @5.1.16    6 years ago

I've seen quite a few of his charts that really don't add up to a damn thing.  I think he's showing off that he knows how to use Powerpoint.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
5.1.19  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  XDm9mm @5.1.18    6 years ago

I think your right.  There are things that my comment implies that we know aren't true.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
7  MrFrost    6 years ago

Different poll, I believe, says pretty much the same thing. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
8  MrFrost    6 years ago

Was Obama perfect? No. No president is, but he is a billion times better than the feckless retard we are stuck with now. 

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
8.1  Ronin2  replied to  MrFrost @8    6 years ago

A billion times better at what? 

Destabilizing countries?  That is a big check.  That could change if Trump turns tail and allows NATO to use the US as their pit bull again. So far he has continued our misguided adventure in nation building (Afghanistan); supporting a government that is loyal to Iran (Iraq); and increased our presence in Syria (Because we learned nothing from Libya).  That is all bad enough; but at least he hasn't started any new messes. Obama has Libya, Yemen, Ukraine, and his failed venture in Africa.  

Getting the media to ignore all of his faults? Again big check. If Obama were held to the same standards by the media he would have been a 1 term POTUS.

Using the US government against every US citizen?  Again check- in case you forgot Data mining was green lighted and started under Obama's none too careful watch. Not to leave out the use of the IRS, and other agencies to attack his opponents.  

Dividing the country? Again check.  The division started long before Trump took office. Obama was quite fond of labeling his "enemies". Of course the left just said he was "speaking the truth" which furthered the division. Or do you think the US would be one big happy country with Hillary in charge?  She who called anyone not voting for her a "deplorable".

I can't stand Trump; but take off the rose colored glasses where Obama is concerned. Obama was just better than Trump at using the US government as a weapon; because he was a part of the Establishment. You would think the left would have learned by now- since Obama has left office he has hung out with the millionaire and billionaire elites- you know the ones that he was supposedly against.  You were sold out; and Obama is raking in the cash.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
8.1.1  MrFrost  replied to  Ronin2 @8.1    6 years ago
If Obama were held to the same standards by the media he would have been a 1 term POTUS.

Interesting. And if Trump had been held to the same standards as Clinton, he would have been in prison decades ago. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
8.1.2  It Is ME  replied to  MrFrost @8.1.1    6 years ago
And if Trump had been held to the same standards as Clinton, he would have been in prison decades ago.

Billy and Hillary never went to Prison.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
8.1.3  Ronin2  replied to  MrFrost @8.1.1    6 years ago

If the Clintons were held to the standards they should have been they would be in prison right along side Trump.

The Clintons have the benefit of being backed by the Establishment, just like all of the previous presidents.  Trump is supposed to be part of the money end of the Establishment.  They are pissed he won the presidency because it shows you don't need Establishment approval to do so.

Please tell us all again how Comey's investigation was even remotely similar to Mueller's?  How many indictments did Comey bring against Clinton insiders and surrogates?  How far outside of the scope of the what he was supposed to be investigating did he venture?  Did he look at all those associated with Clinton for anything illegal done outside of sending classified information on a unsecured private server.  Did he launch a full investigation into the Clinton Foundation operations and where every last penny they received came from and went to?  Did he investigate all of the Clinton lawyers for any payouts to Bill's former mistresses?  Nope, Comey offered everyone immunity before they even testified; and made sure Clinton's confession wasn't under oath- and wasn't recorded.  Even with that he had more than enough evidence to convict, and stated as much during his press conference. He laid out the exact charge for Negligence- which is part of the law- and then said, "It did not rise to the level that any prosecutor would bring charges." No, just a prosecutor that was given his marching orders from Loretta Lynch- who wouldn't have prosecuted the case anyways.

To prove what a lying sack of shit Comey is one only has to take a few excerpts from his book.  He had his marching orders and he followed them to the letter.

He moves on to the investigation of Hillary Clinton’s emails, and quickly swats away the claim from Clinton defenders that this was merely a harmless mistake. “There were thirty-six e-mail chains about topics that could cause ‘serious’ damage to national security and eight that could be expected to cause ‘exceptionally grave’ damage to the security of the United States if released.” But he spends a lot of time discussing the difficulty of proving intent. Does Comey really believe that every one of these emails was an innocent mistake, and that Clinton never realized what she was doing?

Comey offers a passage lamenting the absurdity of Attorney General Loretta Lynch’s request that he refer to the questioning about Clinton’s e-mails as a “matter,” not an “investigation.” But Comey went out and did it anyway, telling reporters that he was confident that “personnel assigned to the matter” would be “able to do it in a professional, prompt, and independent way.”

Comey points out that in October 2015 and April 2016, President Obama declared that Clinton had merely made a “mistake” that had not endangered national security, but laments, “To this day, I don’t know why he spoke about the case publicly and seemed to absolve her before a final determination had been made.”

Is it really that much of an impenetrable mystery? Come on, you used to run the FBI, you should be able to figure that out. Comey lays out the evidence that Lynch and Obama were more partisan than appropriate, but he can’t bring himself to indict them. (Then again, perhaps we shouldn’t be surprised when Comey declines to indict a prominent Democrat.)

Despite a great deal of glowing praise for President Obama, Comey also mentions that in a September 2016 meeting about Russian efforts to influence the election, Obama scoffed that Putin’s efforts to influence the outcome or erode faith in America’s election systems had not amounted to much, declaring of the Russian leader, “He backed the wrong horse.” At least Obama didn’t dismiss Moscow’s operatives as just the jayvee team.

One of the book’s genuine holy-smokes moments is the revelation that in May 2016, Comey was infuriated enough with the foot-dragging over access to Clinton and her staff’s laptop computers that he was ready to recommend an independent counsel.

“In May, I went to [then–deputy attorney general] Sally Yates and told her this was dragging on too long. We were now weeks from the conventions and I was close to the point where I was going to recommend the appointment of a special prosecutor. . . . I said that soon it would be too late for this Department of Justice to complete the investigation without grievous damage to public faith in our work. It would require a prosecutor outside the control of the political leadership of the department.” Within a week or two, the Department of Justice had negotiated a deal for access to the laptops. One can only imagine how differently the election would have unfolded if Comey had called for an independent counsel right before the Democrats’ nominating convention.

In her interview with the FBI, Hillary Clinton said she “couldn’t recall” details more than 39 times, including whether she had ever been briefed about how to handle classified information (despite signed forms declaring she had ), which aides had access to her BlackBerry and email accounts, whether she had ever seen anything in her emails that was classified, why the State Department couldn’t provide her with a secure BlackBerry, whether she had ever received any FOIA requests related to her email, or whether she had used an iPad Mini while she was secretary of state. Some of these convenient memory lapses contradicted her past public statements; in a 2015 campaign appearance, Clinton assured the public, “I did not email any classified material to anyone on my email. There is no classified material. I’m certainly well-aware of the classification requirements.” Yet Comey concluded after the FBI interview: “There was nothing in her comments that we could prove was a lie beyond a reasonable doubt. . . . Whether we believed her or not, we had no significant proof otherwise.”

Fine, but did Comey believe her answers? He doesn’t say.

Unlike the left I am willing to admit Trump is a piece of shit undeserving of the presidency; but neither were Hillary and Bill.  If you want to start the lock them up chants- you could make that assertion about any president. They all have skeletons in their closets; and all abused the power of the office at one time or another.

bugsy
Professor Participates
9  bugsy    6 years ago

I guess when you ask millennials  who many know no other President and leftover hippies from the 60s, you will get the results you want.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
9.1  It Is ME  replied to  bugsy @9    6 years ago
I guess when you ask millennials

They don't even know who the VP is....or was. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
10  Tessylo    6 years ago

And what's his face will be remembered as the worst, bottom of the barrel, 'president' in history.