╌>

Republicans Thought Peter Strzok Would Be a Punching Bag. He Just Knocked Them Out

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tessylo  •  6 years ago  •  56 comments

Republicans Thought Peter Strzok Would Be a Punching Bag.  He Just Knocked Them Out

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

'NO SENSE OF DECENCY'

Republicans Thought Peter Strzok Would Be a Punching Bag. He Just Knocked Them Out.

He was supposed to be a key in the imaginary conspiracy Trump’s congressional lackeys and media fantasists have desperately tried to write as history. He was having none of it.

Those who forget the lessons of televised congressional hearings are doomed to repeat them, which is why the morning segment of the Capitol Hill show trial of veteran FBI agent and former head of the Bureau’s Counterespionage division Peter Strzok   turned into a disaster for Republicans.

Donald Trump’s congressional enablers, sycophants, and political suck-ups wanted a punching bag, but Strzok instead delivered one of the rarest of moments: the full Joseph N. Welch.

Welch, the chief counsel for the U.S. Army during the infamous McCarthy hearings in 1954, had reached a breaking point. After McCarthy’s tendentious badgering reached a fever pitch, Welch delivered a famous rejoinder that ended the Wisconsin senator’s career. Watched by millions on live television, Welch went full beast-mode.

“If it were in my power to forgive you for your reckless cruelty I would do so,” said Welch. “I like to think I am a gentleman, but your forgiveness will have to come from someone other than me… You've done enough. Have you no sense of decency, sir? At long last, have you left no sense of decency?”

This morning, it was Strzok’s turn. After an hour of drama-queen badgering from Trey “Benghazi” Gowdy and Bob Goodlatte, Strzok issued two passionate statements that will be the takeaways from an otherwise disorganized and contentious shitshow of a hearing before the House Judiciary and Oversight Committees.

The first was a ringing defense of the FBI, with Strzok showing the kind of real passion that makes for great television. The FBI lifer issued a ringing defense of himself and his agency, punching Gowdy hard in the nose.

“I can assure you, Mr. Chairman, at no time, in any of these texts, did those personal beliefs ever enter into the realm of any action I took. Furthermore, this isn’t just me sitting here telling   you you   don’t have to take my word for it. At every step, at every investigative decision, there are multiple layers of people above me, the assistant director, executive assistant director, deputy director, and director of the FBI, and multiple layers of people below me, section chiefs, supervisors, unit chiefs, case agents and analysts, all of whom were involved in all of these decisions. They would not tolerate any improper behavior in me any more than I would tolerate it in them.”

He closed with this fastball:

“That is who we are as the FBI. And the suggestion that I in some dark chamber somewhere in the FBI would somehow cast aside all of these procedures, all of these safeguards and somehow be able to do this is astounding to me. It simply couldn’t happen. And the proposition that that is going on, that it might occur anywhere in the FBI, deeply corrodes what the FBI is in American society, the effectiveness of their mission, and it is deeply destructive.”

The second was a shot across Donald Trump’s bow: “I understand we are living in a political era in which insults and insinuation often drown out honesty and integrity. I have the utmost respect for Congress’s oversight role, but I truly believe that today’s hearing is just another victory notch in Putin’s belt and another milestone in our enemies’ campaign to tear America apart.”

This latest spectacle was designed for one purpose only: the destruction of Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation into Donald Trump’s Russia ties. Republicans like Fredo Nunes who have tried to present a series of dramatic, table-flipping reality TV moments to reach that goal have failed time and again to derail the Mueller investigation. This morning was yet another swing-and-a-miss for the Trump GOP.

Because Trump supporters live in a hermetic media echo chamber, these hearings are part of a predictable, hokey Kabuki dance. They’re a device for generating a new round of hyperbolic base-only stories that will follow the same dumb arc as all the rest. In the coming days, you’ll see Sean Hannity flirt with apoplexy, coating the camera lens with flecks of spittle as he rants over Strzok’s perfidy. You’ll see pro-Trump columnists herniate themselves stretching to turn flippant text messages into a vast conspiracy. Twitter will be a flood of moronic memes, white-hot takes, and promises that Strzok will soon be in Gitmo alongside Hillary, Obama, Podesta, and Soros.

None of it will deter the Terminator in the Special Counsel's office. None of it will change the facts of Russia's interference in the 2016 election, and Trump's ass-deep ties to Russian money and influence. Trump's unhinged, shithouse-rat-crazy tweets today should tell you how deeply he fears Mueller.

Strzok was supposed to be a key in the imaginary conspiracy that Trump's congressional lackeys and media fantasists have desperately tried to write as history. The idea that his text messages poison the entire Mueller investigation was a pillar of their defense of the president. This morning they were going for a quick kill. They needed Strzok to flail, and wilt. The Gowdy, Goodlatte, and Gaetz types needed their grandstanding, dick-waving mock outrage to leave Strozk shaking and begging for mercy.

Strzok had none of it. In this morning’s round he left the Trumpists of the House staggered in their corner, cut and shaky, wondering where Strzok learned to hit back that hard.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/republicans-thought-peter-strzok-would-be-a-punching-bag-he-just-knocked-them-out?yptr=yahoo

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Tessylo    6 years ago

'Strzok was supposed to be a key in the imaginary conspiracy that Trump's congressional lackeys and media fantasists have desperately tried to write as history. The idea that his text messages poison the entire Mueller investigation was a pillar of their defense of the president. This morning they were going for a quick kill. They needed Strzok to flail, and wilt. The Gowdy, Goodlatte, and Gaetz types needed their grandstanding, dick-waving mock outrage to leave Strozk shaking and begging for mercy.

Strzok had none of it. In this morning’s round he left the Trumpists of the House staggered in their corner, cut and shaky, wondering where Strzok learned to hit back that hard.'

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Tessylo @1    6 years ago

What a joke! Posting a hit piece article written by some left wing tool from...of all sources....Yahoo "News"??   

Deleted

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    6 years ago

Yahoo News is a news aggregator. They print news and opinion from a wide variety of sources. 

As usual, you have no point. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.2  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    6 years ago
'What a joke! Posting a hit piece article written by some left wing tool from...of all sources....Yahoo "News"??'

Yahoo news is a clearing house for news articles just like HA uses Real Clear Politics which slants right

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1.3  Greg Jones  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.2    6 years ago

Most of the comments in the article did not support the thesis of the article.

luther28
Sophomore Silent
2  luther28    6 years ago

The idiocy of the GOP was on full display for all to see.

As an aside, I thought He was thinking about getting up and giving Gohmert a good slap along side His head, when Gohmert decided to bring His wife into the mix.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  luther28 @2    6 years ago

What purpose did it serve for Gohmert to bring up that affair? Gohmert made an ass of himself

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
3  bbl-1    6 years ago

Perplexing.  Why is there such effort to protect Donald J. Trump? 

It is time for every member of congress to have their campaigns audited and be forced to take a 'lie detector test' concerning their knowledge or relationships with foreign entities.

Gohmert?  Well, he is simply a reflection of the--------****that populates the district. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  bbl-1 @3    6 years ago

I want to see what's on THEIR cell phones

PJ
Masters Quiet
3.1.1  PJ  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1    6 years ago

FOIA

You just have to submit a request for this information under the Freedom of Information Act.

I'm not sure the process for cell phones but I imagine it's similar to emails and other documents requested under the FOIA.  When the FOIA is received the responsible parties are notified about it and given instructions that they are not to delete or alter any information that would fall under that FOIA request.  They are given a time frame to submit the requested information, it goes through an internal review process (for confidential info) and then released to the requester.  Again, I'm not sure what the process is for cell phones.  

I think every single Congressman should have this information requested.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  PJ @3.1.1    6 years ago

Ya know....you just gave me an idea

PJ
Masters Quiet
3.1.3  PJ  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.2    6 years ago

I hope others have that same idea.  What a treasure trove of information waiting to be uncovered.  devil

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.2  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  bbl-1 @3    6 years ago
'It is time for every member of congress to have their campaigns audited and be forced to take a 'lie detector test' concerning their knowledge or relationships with foreign entities.'
Agreed.  I'd bet most in his cabinet and a lot of them, on the senate, are complicit.  

PJ
Masters Quiet
4  PJ    6 years ago

Yesterday's hearing was a despicable display of what the Republican leaders have become in the House.  They are nothing more than another arm of the Kremlin.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  PJ @4    6 years ago

Dah!

Rmando
Sophomore Silent
5  Rmando    6 years ago

All this article proves is that the left is trapped in liberal bubble so thick and airtight that they can't even think straight anymore from lack of oxygen.

First of all Trump is no danger of anything from Mueller. Unless Mueller has been hanging on the most devasting secret inside of all time nothing is going to happen to Trump. The whole "this is a distraction" line only works if somebody is so deep in unproven conspiracy theories that they can't even see reality anymore.

Second of all Strzok didn't do anything but his smug arrogance on display- the exact same thing the left has done for decades and hasn't help them win any elections. His performance was no more impressive than the "Hillary sat there for 11 hours" nonsense. What did the left think might happen? That Strzok was going to give a full confession of all his misdeeds on camera?

The only thing that was proven was that Strzoks "appearance of bias" is a lot farther from the truth than the "appearance of Russian collision".

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Rmando @5    6 years ago
'The only thing that was proven was that Strzoks "appearance of bias" is a lot farther from the truth than the "appearance of Russian collision".

chuckle

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
5.2  Ozzwald  replied to  Rmando @5    6 years ago
Second of all Strzok didn't do anything but his smug arrogance on display- the exact same thing the left has done for decades and hasn't help them win any elections. His performance was no more impressive than the "Hillary sat there for 11 hours" nonsense. What did the left think might happen? That Strzok was going to give a full confession of all his misdeeds on camera?

So when will it be Trump's turn to sit for questioning?  Or is he too afraid to?

Rmando
Sophomore Silent
5.2.1  Rmando  replied to  Ozzwald @5.2    6 years ago

I'd be all for Trump being questioned- if he got the same treatment as Hillary: A pre interview exoneration and no notes taken. And Trump is allowed to say "I can't recall" as many times as he wants with six lawyers present.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
5.2.2  MrFrost  replied to  Ozzwald @5.2    6 years ago
Or is he too afraid to?

Trump is too stupid to be afraid, it's his defense team that is afraid because they know that idiot cannot speak for more than a minute without lying. 

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
5.2.3  Ozzwald  replied to  Rmando @5.2.1    6 years ago
And Trump is allowed to say "I can't recall" as many times as he wants with six lawyers present.

Sessions has already proven that you can do that as many times as he wants, when he tripled the number of times compared to Hillary.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
6  Dean Moriarty    6 years ago

This guy is dirtier than Harvey Keitel in the Bad Lieutenant. Anyone that votes for Republicans will be happy to see his dastardly deeds exposed. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Dean Moriarty @6    6 years ago

What dastardly deeds?

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
6.1.1  Dean Moriarty  replied to  Tessylo @6.1    6 years ago

Attempting to bring Trump down and help Hillary. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.2  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Dean Moriarty @6.1.1    6 years ago
'Attempting to bring Trump down and help Hillary.'

laughing dude goofy crazy

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Dean Moriarty @6.1.1    6 years ago

Strocyk didn't like Hillary, either

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
6.1.4  Ozzwald  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.1.3    6 years ago
Strocyk didn't like Hillary, either

Or Bernie...

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
6.1.5  Greg Jones  replied to  Ozzwald @6.1.4    6 years ago

Lisa's gonna flip on her former boyfriend, now known as Mr. Smirker. Can't understand why so many liberals hate regular cops, but swoon over and apologize for dirty and corrupt FBI agents. He's a disgrace and embarrassment to the whole organization. All the sleaze and corruption from the Obama era is slowly being revealed, a day at a time. Can't wait until Gowdy becomes the AG. Mueller is going to have some very unpleasant surprises for the Democrats before long.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
6.1.6  MrFrost  replied to  Dean Moriarty @6.1.1    6 years ago
Attempting to bring Trump down and help Hillary.

Wait what? He was one of the lead investigators for all 9 benghazi investigations. How was that, "helping" Hillary? And didn't the FBI announce publicly that hillary was under investigation, but didn't say that trump was ALSO under investigation? Yes. How is that "helping"? 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
6.1.7  MrFrost  replied to  Greg Jones @6.1.5    6 years ago
Can't understand why so many liberals hate regular cops,

Because they don't. 

but swoon over and apologize for dirty and corrupt FBI agents.

Funny. The cons didn't think the FBI was corrupt until their messiah trumptard the stupid found out he was under investigation, then he stared his "I hate the FBI" campaign and his minions fell right in line, believing every word that lying fucker says. SAD.

Can't wait until Gowdy becomes the AG.

Maybe after he gets Hillary's boot print off his forehead, and, he quits getting his hair styled at Dairy Queen. Gowdy is an incompetent fool. 

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
6.1.8  Ronin2  replied to  MrFrost @6.1.6    6 years ago
Wait what? He was one of the lead investigators for all 9 benghazi investigations.

You ever heard of botching an investigation on purpose? Where you discredit leads and don't follow evidence where it should take you? 

Hillary got the soft glove treatment. All you have to do is look at Mueller's investigation of Trump, and compare it to Comey's investigation of Hillary. Immunity granted before key witnesses would testify. Hillary not having to answer questions under oath; and not having her responses recorded. Comey's decision being written months before the investigation concluded.   Mueller is indicting Trump campaign people for anything he can find; trying to force them to flip on Trump in exchange for plea deals. Wonder why he hasn't come up with anything yet? Of course he has to find something believable; and has a shred of evidence to back it up first.  Maybe if he offered them immunity? Naw, then he would get the same BS that Comey got.

Loved him stating how many levels of corruption there are at the FBI.  He should have been caught and discharge long ago. The fact he was doing his higher ups bidding seems to escape the left's notice.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1.9  Trout Giggles  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.1.3    6 years ago

when additional emails were discovered a few days before the election, Strzok supported reopening the Clinton investigation. [25] He then co-wrote the letter [26] that Comey used to inform Congress, which "reignited the email controversy in the final days" and "played a key role in a controversial FBI decision that upended Hillary Clinton's campaign." [25]

link

Yeah.....Strzok was in the bag for Hillary   Eye Roll

PJ
Masters Quiet
6.1.10  PJ  replied to  MrFrost @6.1.7    6 years ago
their messiah trumptard the stupid

Hahahahahahaha - Thank you for today's laugh out loud.  I hope you don't mind if I borrow it every once in awhile.    

MrFrost
Professor Expert
6.1.11  MrFrost  replied to  PJ @6.1.10    6 years ago

Any time you wish.. :)

MrFrost
Professor Expert
6.1.12  MrFrost  replied to  Ronin2 @6.1.8    6 years ago
You ever heard of botching an investigation on purpose?

You think he was the ONLY person doing the investigation? Now THAT'S funny! LOL 

Secondly, PROVE IT. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
6.1.13  MrFrost  replied to  Ronin2 @6.1.8    6 years ago
Hillary got the soft glove treatment. All you have to do is look at Mueller's investigation of Trump, and compare it to Comey's investigation of Hillary.

Well, for starters, these are two completely different investigations. Secondly, how is announcing, (just before the election), that Hillary was under investigation by the FBI, "Helping"? Do tell. And why did Comey NOT tell the world that trump was ALSO under investigation? Again...how the fuck is that "helping" Hillary? FFS, Comey all but handed the election to trump. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.14  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  MrFrost @6.1.7    6 years ago
'Maybe after he gets Hillary's boot print off his forehead, and, he quits getting his hair styled at Dairy Queen. Gowdy is an incompetent fool.'
Really!  What's up with that hair style?
I think his head is pointy - like a dunce cap.  

Fireryone
Freshman Silent
6.1.15  Fireryone  replied to  Dean Moriarty @6.1.1    6 years ago

He did no such thing. He had info that would have brought trumps campaign to end, he didn't do anything of the sort.

PJ
Masters Quiet
6.2  PJ  replied to  Dean Moriarty @6    6 years ago
dastardly

Oooooo - nice word.  It's sooooooo dastardly.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
6.2.1  MrFrost  replied to  PJ @6.2    6 years ago

Muttleypicture.gif

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.2.2  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  MrFrost @6.2.1    6 years ago

laughing dude

Thanks for that!  I couldn't put my finger on where Dean got that word dastardly from.

I just loved the way he laughed too.  

MrFrost
Professor Expert
6.2.3  MrFrost  replied to  Tessylo @6.2.2    6 years ago

I love the old cartoons!

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
6.3  Skrekk  replied to  Dean Moriarty @6    6 years ago
This guy is dirtier than Harvey Keitel in the Bad Lieutenant.

Bummer that the IG already cleared him, eh?    I guess you'll have to look elsewhere for fragile threads to support your loony conspiracy theories.

DocPhil
Sophomore Quiet
7  DocPhil    6 years ago

Isn't it fascinating to know that Strozk voted for Kasich as a write in because he didn't like either Trump or Hillary...…..Not one trumpublican was willing to ask him about that. Was the goal of the "deep state" to get Kasich elected? Major fail.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
7.1  Dean Moriarty  replied to  DocPhil @7    6 years ago

How are they going to prove he isn’t lying about that. Does anyone actually have proof of that?