╌>

Trump saw evidence in 2017 Putin attacked U.S. elections

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  johnrussell  •  6 years ago  •  78 comments

Trump saw evidence in 2017 Putin attacked U.S. elections

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

This is bad. 

-----

Donald Trump's flip-flop routine around Russia's information warfare campaign against the U.S. is based on a lie.

“Two weeks before his inauguration, Donald J. Trump was shown highly classified intelligence indicating that President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia had personally ordered complex cyberattacks to sway the 2016 American election,” report David E. Sanger and Matthew Rosenberg at the New York Times .

According to this report, Donald Trump has known since January 6, 2017, exactly who ordered the attack on the 2016 U.S. presidential elections.

And we know from U.S. intelligence in 2018 that these attacks continue, now, as America prepares for a new round of midterm elections this November.

Excerpt from the NYT :

The evidence included texts and emails from Russian military officers and information gleaned from a top-secret source close to Mr. Putin, who had described to the C.I.A. how the Kremlin decided to execute its campaign of hacking and disinformation.

Mr. Trump sounded grudgingly convinced, according to several people who attended the intelligence briefing. But ever since, Mr. Trump has tried to cloud the very clear findings that he received on Jan. 6, 2017, which his own intelligence leaders have unanimously endorsed.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    6 years ago

Trump has been lying about his knowledge of the Russian hacking since at least Jan. 2017. 

How many times since then as he pretended that there was doubt? 

The republicans need to push him out before he drags them all down.

Trump is up for another count of obstruction of justice based on this information alone. 

"Accomplice after the fact".  It is a crime. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.1  Dulay  replied to  JohnRussell @1    6 years ago

I pointed out the date of this briefing 2 days ago.

Now we know that they didn't just TELL Trump, they SHOWED him the proof. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Dulay @1.1    6 years ago

To say he is a constant liar is putting it mildly. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @1    6 years ago
Trump is up for another count of obstruction of justice based on this information alone.

No, he's not. 

"Accomplice after the fact".  It is a crime.

Look up accomplice after the fact.  This, whatever you think this is, is not it. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.2.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.2    6 years ago

A person who learns of the crime after it is committed and helps the criminal to conceal it, or aids the criminal in escaping, or simply fails to report the crime, is known as an "accessory after the fact"

Fits Trump perfectly. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.2.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.1    6 years ago
of the crime after it is committed and helps the criminal to conceal it, or aids the criminal in escaping, or simply fails to report the crime, is known as an "accessory after the fact"

In what world does that make sense?  . Your evidence of a crime is a statement that he walked back. Imagine a world where anyone who makes a false claim about someone's innocence before a trial even begins is guilty of a felony.  That's the America John apparently wants..  

Did that conceal the crime? No, Trump actually made it more public by publicizing the crime. 

Did he help the criminal in escaping? No, the criminals are being prosecuted by his Justice Department  (not by Mueller) 

simply fails to report the crime.  Zero evidence of that. 

This is why so many moderates can't support the extreme left. You are more dangerous than Trump with your reckless and baseless claims of "treason" and attempts to weaponize the law to reverse defeats at the ballot box.  

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.2.3  Ozzwald  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.2.2    6 years ago
Your evidence of a crime is a statement that he walked back.

You need to watch his "walk back" again, because he did not.

Did that conceal the crime? No, Trump actually made it more public by publicizing the crime. 

Conceal it, no, but he is actively preventing any response to it.

RUSSIA ELECTION INTERFERENCE: TRUMP STATE DEPARTMENT HAS SPENT NONE OF $120 MILLION ALLOCATED TO FIGHT RUSSIAN MEDDLING

Did he help the criminal in escaping? No, the criminals are being prosecuted by his Justice Department

They were indicted, that's all.  Did he request Putin to deliver them to the US for trial?

This is why so many moderates can't support the extreme left. You are more dangerous than Trump with your reckless and baseless claims of "treason" and attempts to weaponize the law to reverse defeats at the ballot box.

And yet it is Trump trying to push his AG to investigate Hillary again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again, for the same crime that she has been cleared on each and every time.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  seeder  JohnRussell    6 years ago

DiY1PWGUwAQxLKZ.jpg

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
2.1  Raven Wing  replied to  JohnRussell @2    6 years ago

And now Trump has said that there is not time limit for NK denuclearization. So what the heck good was the discussion on that even worth talking about?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Trump now says 'no time limit' to denuclearize North Korea as reality of challenge sets in
The Japan Times  ·  1 day ago
WASHINGTON -- US President Donald Trump said Tuesday that there is "no time limit" on dismantling North Korea's nuclear weapons program, appearing to take a step back from earlier demands for immediate denuclearization.
The Korea Herald - 
U.S. President Donald Trump said Tuesday that there is "no time limit" on dismantling North Korea's nuclear weapons program, appearing to take a step back from earlier demands for immediate denuclearization.
Source: 

Trump on North Korea denuclearization: 'We have no time limit' | TheHill

1 day ago -  President Trump said Tuesday that the U.S. has  no time limit  for the agreement he signed with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un regarding  denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula. 
Source: 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So it would seem that this is just one more lie that Trump has used to mislead the American people by. 

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
3  arkpdx    6 years ago

Obama knew about it in 2016 and did nothing about it. 

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
3.1  bbl-1  replied to  arkpdx @3    6 years ago

So did Trump.  He was informed by our INTEL. 

Except 'the Trump' used back channels to inform the Kremlin of the info US INTEL had.   Treason?

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
3.1.1  arkpdx  replied to  bbl-1 @3.1    6 years ago
Except 'the Trump' used back channels to inform the Kremlin of the info US INTEL had. 

And your evidence of this is?  

Oh and trump wasn't president in 2016 Obama,  unfortunately, was .He knew of Russian mischief and did absolutely nothing to stop it .

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
3.1.2  bbl-1  replied to  arkpdx @3.1.1    6 years ago

Prove that he didn't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
3.1.3  arkpdx  replied to  bbl-1 @3.1.2    6 years ago

Show that he did. 

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
3.1.4  igknorantzrulz  replied to  arkpdx @3.1.1    6 years ago

Trump Was correct one

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.5  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  arkpdx @3.1.1    6 years ago

Obama has nothing to do with this story. Trump has claimed all along that he does not know who hacked the DNC and Podesta. Part of his problem the other day is that he was claiming to not be sure who did the hacking, as if he had never been shown evidence that it was Russia. 

Trump could be charged with being an accomplice after the fact, which is a crime of obstruction. 

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
3.1.6  bbl-1  replied to  arkpdx @3.1.3    6 years ago

It is past time for the right wing to prove something, anything.  The proof, if any exists, is on the Trump.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.7  It Is ME  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.5    6 years ago
Trump has claimed all along that he does not know who hacked the DNC and Podesta.

With the crap going on within OUR OWN Secret Police.....who knows what is true or not anymore.

If the Regular (Fry like Bacon) Police can be held accountable for all the woes of society, and even killed just for the heck of it....Why is the "Secret Society" given a pass ?

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.1.8  Dulay  replied to  arkpdx @3.1.3    6 years ago
Show that he did.

You made the assertion, you prove it. That's how this shit works. I'm still waiting for your proof in another seed. Merely spewing proclamations all over doesn't help with your credibility. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.1.9  Dulay  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.7    6 years ago
With the crap going on within OUR OWN Secret Police.....who knows what is true or not anymore.

Yet Trump made it quite clear that he believed the Russian 'secret police' over ours. 

Why is the "Secret Society" given a pass ?

For doing WHAT exactly? 

Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו
Junior Participates
3.1.10  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.7    6 years ago
Why is the "Secret Society" given a pass ?

Oh, shit.....dare I even ask what you mean by that, knowing that that there's a 99.9% risk of taking a trip to Loonyville?  

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.11  It Is ME  replied to  Dulay @3.1.9    6 years ago
For doing WHAT exactly?

I know....right ?

"Yet Trump made it quite clear that he believed the Russian 'secret police' over ours."

Gee......really ?

I'm STILL wondering why someone would do that. After all....this is "America", and "Americans are to blame for everything. THANKS ! confused

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.12  It Is ME  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @3.1.10    6 years ago
Oh, shit.....dare I even ask what you mean by that

If you have to ask....YOU don't know....but why not comment anyway huh !

Heard of "ICE" or the "BORDER PATROL" ?

What's your position again on just those agencies ?

How about the simple "Police department" in general ?

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.1.13  Dulay  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.11    6 years ago

IIM, I have no intention of playing your juvenile game of snarky obfuscation.

I'll just add you to the all too long list of 'conservative' members whose comments regularly lack good faith and credulity. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.14  It Is ME  replied to  Dulay @3.1.13    6 years ago
IIM, I have no intention of playing your juvenile game of snarky obfuscation.

When ya just can't answer......ya gotta do what ya gotta do to save face !

If Liberals can chastise a few branches of Law enforcement, why can't they chastise the Entirety of Law enforcement in this country. Doesn't fit a narrative ? good one

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.1.15  Dulay  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.14    6 years ago
When ya just can't answer......ya gotta do what ya gotta do to save face !

Which of your intellectually stimulating question was I suppose to answer IIM? 

I know....right ?

Or

Gee......really ?

Doesn't fit a narrative ?

It requires a nuanced view of the issues, something most conservatives lack. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.16  It Is ME  replied to  Dulay @3.1.15    6 years ago
It requires a nuanced view of the issues, something most conservatives lack.

What have you been watching....CNN....Morning Joe..... etc...

I know....speaking for myself....there is bunches of "Conjecture" out there being FLOWN by the "Left". Must be their new "United States of "WHATEVER" Flag.

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.1.17  Dulay  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.16    6 years ago

Deflection not worthy of addressing. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.18  It Is ME  replied to  Dulay @3.1.17    6 years ago
Deflection not worthy of addressing.

Yet YOU did !

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
3.1.19  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.12    6 years ago
Heard of "ICE" or the "BORDER PATROL" ? What's your position again on just those agencies ? How about the simple "Police department" in general ?

I love our local police, but I'm not such a gullible rube as to imagine that there aren't bad apples that need to be disciplined or removed. We had one local cop who was found to be selling citizens private information and I'm glad the other cops didn't try to protect him, he was booted from the force and prosecuted as he should have been. The same should apply when it's clear an officer overstepped his authority and murdered an unarmed citizen simply because the citizen didn't follow his every demand.

As for ICE and border patrol, they are an integral part of our society and should be praised for their hard work. But just because it's hard work doesn't mean they should be given a pass when they overstep their authority either. Racial profiling, unjustified and unwarranted raids and taking children away from their parents are not things these patriots should be allowed let alone expected to use while doing their jobs.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.20  It Is ME  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @3.1.19    6 years ago
But just because it's hard work doesn't mean they should be given a pass when they overstep their authority either.

Just like you should "Feel" the same when it comes to the FBI, Homeland Security, CIA, etc.....

There are bad apples everywhere.....probably even in your own home...… ))))shudder((((.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
3.1.21  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.20    6 years ago
There are bad apples everywhere.....probably even in your own home...… ))))shudder((((.

None have shot any of us just because we didn't comply with a shouted order, so I think I'm okay. Refusing to investigate and prosecute the bad cops when they use deadly force isn't equivalent to letting your lazy uncle crash on the couch.

And for the record, I do feel that way about the FBI and the CIA but they rarely do. Yes, Comey overstepped his authority when he decided to publicly announce the re-opening of the Clinton investigation 10 days before the election, but I haven't seen anything else the FBI has done that would qualify as overstepping their authority. I think they had every right to investigate Trumps campaign, they had definitive probable cause and we've seen at least 30 indictments come from their hard work on the case. They are true patriots, the only ones who aren't patriotic are those questioning their integrity like this useless joke President that Americas lowest common denominators elected.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.22  It Is ME  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @3.1.21    6 years ago
Refusing to investigate and prosecute the bad cops when they use deadly force isn't equivalent to letting your lazy uncle crash on the couch.

I've heard about quit a few cases against police in shootings. They may not all go the way YOU think they should, but that's up to the courts and the juries, not us.

As for the FBI and the CIA, we know NOTHING of them, unless they make it public to let us know what they say we should know.

Old Hermit
Sophomore Silent
3.2  Old Hermit  replied to  arkpdx @3    6 years ago

Nonsense.

Perhaps more could have been done but hindsight was not an option and bunghole, Monday morning Quarterbacks always think they know best.

General breakdown of steps taken during the few months Obama had to deal with Russia's attack.

Trump's question about Obama and Russian meddling — answered

President Trump posed a question Monday after a weekend of frequent tweeting about the Russia probe: Why didn't President Obama take action over Russian interference in the 2016 election?

Obama was President up to, and beyond, the 2016 Election. So why didn’t he do something about Russian meddling?
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) February 19, 2018

The backdrop: The Obama administration knew about Russian efforts to interfere in the 2016 election months before Election Day, and Obama was briefed in August 2016 on intelligence that Putin himself was involved, the Washington Post reports. Still, there were limitations to what they could do, former administration officials say.
Timeline

May 2016: James Clapper, then-director of national intelligence, issues a warning about cyber threats against the campaigns. He doesn't cite Russia.

July 2016:The DNC announces it has been breached by Russian hackers. Trump says the DNC hacked itself to distract from controversies. He later invites Russia to find and release Hillary Clinton's emails.
The FBI opens an investigation into possible collusion between the Trump campaign and the Kremlin.
Obama, in an interview with NBC, says experts attribute the DNC hack to the Russians.

August 2016: Obama receives top secret intelligence file detailing Putin's direct involvement in Russian election meddling.

September 2016: U.S. intelligence agencies reach unanimous agreement regarding Russian efforts to interfere in the 2016 election.
At a G20 meeting in Huangzhou, China, Obama pulls Putin aside and warns him directly “to cut it out."
Clapper confirms that Russia was behind the DNC hack. Trump has by now been briefed on the matter but continues to publicly call it a hoax.

October 2016: At Obama's direction, former Secretary of Homeland Security Jeh Johnson and former Director of National Intelligence James Clapper issue a public statement saying, “The U.S. intelligence community is confident that the Russian government directed the recent compromises of e-mails from U.S. persons and institutions, including from U.S. political organizations. We believe, based on the scope and sensitivity of these efforts, that only Russia’s senior-most officials could have authorized these activities.”
Obama also attributes the hack of John Podesta's emails to Russia.

December 2016: Obama approves a set of relatively modest — and primarily symbolic — sanctions, including expelling 35 Russian diplomats and closing two compounds in Maryland. The administration had considered several steeper measures including "cyberattacks on Russian infrastructure, the release of CIA-gathered material that might embarrass Putin and sanctions that officials said could 'crater' the Russian economy," per the Post.

What they're saying

"It took time for other parts of the intelligence community to endorse the CIA’s view [on election meddling]. Only in the administration’s final weeks in office did it tell the public, in a declassified report, what officials had learned from Brennan in August — that Putin was working to elect Trump," the Post reports.
Officials close to Obama told the Post that by August it was too late to prevent emails from being leaked, and that they believed Obama's direct warning to Putin would deter the Kremlin from taking bigger steps, such as tampering with voting systems.

And they were concerned that any response from the U.S. would either provoke Russia to ramp up its own efforts or appear as though the administration was attempting to tip the scales for Clinton.

But Obama was “deeply concerned and wanted as much information as fast as possible ... He wanted the entire intelligence community all over this," a former administration official told the Post.

“It is the hardest thing about my entire time in government to defend," a senior Obama official said to the Post. "I feel like we sort of choked.”

A more granular breakdown was done by the Washington Post which added details like how the State and Federal Republican officials worked against doing major push back against the Russians between Aug & Nov 2016

Obama’s secret struggle to retaliate against Putin’s election interference

Jeh Johnson, the homeland-security secretary, was responsible for finding out whether the government could quickly shore up the security of the nation’s archaic patchwork of voting systems. He floated the idea of designating state mechanisms “critical infrastructure,” a label that would have entitled states to receive priority in federal cybersecurity assistance, putting them on a par with U.S. defense contractors and financial networks.

On Aug. 15, Johnson arranged a conference call with dozens of state officials, hoping to enlist their support. He ran into a wall of resistance.

The reaction “ranged from neutral to negative,” Johnson said in congressional testimony Wednesday.

Brian Kemp, the Republican secretary of state of Georgia, used the call to denounce Johnson’s proposal as an assault on state rights. “I think it was a politically calculated move by the previous administration,” Kemp said in a recent interview, adding that he remains unconvinced that Russia waged a campaign to disrupt the 2016 race. “I don’t necessarily believe that,” he said.

Stung by the reaction, the White House turned to Congress for help, hoping that a bipartisan appeal to states would be more effective.

In early September, Johnson Jeh Johnson Homeland security secretary. Johnson is tasked with securing voting systems and arranges meetings with dozens of state officials. , Comey James B. Comey FBI director appointed by Obama. Comey was one of four senior officials to participate in meetings in the Situation Room on how to respond to Russia's interference. Comey particpates in a briefing for members of Congress on Russia's activities, but the meeting disolves into partisan bickering. and Monaco Lisa Monaco Homeland security adviser. Monaco briefs key members of Congress on the intelligence. arrived on Capitol Hill in a caravan of black SUVs for a meeting with 12 key members of Congress, including the leadership of both parties.

The meeting devolved into a partisan squabble.

“The Dems were, ‘Hey, we have to tell the public,’ ” recalled one participant. But Republicans resisted, arguing that to warn the public that the election was under attack would further Russia’s aim of sapping confidence in the system.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) went further, officials said, voicing skepticism that the underlying intelligence truly supported the White House’s claims. Through a spokeswoman, McConnell declined to comment, citing the secrecy of that meeting.

Key Democrats were stunned by the GOP response and exasperated that the White House seemed willing to let Republican opposition block any pre-election move.

On Sept. 22, two California Democrats — Sen. Dianne Feinstein and Rep. Adam B. Schiff — did what they couldn’t get the White House to do. They issued a statement making clear that they had learned from intelligence briefings that Russia was directing a campaign to undermine the election, but they stopped short of saying to what end.

A week later, McConnell and other congressional leaders issued a cautious statement that encouraged state election officials to ensure their networks were “secure from attack.” The release made no mention of Russia and emphasized that the lawmakers “would oppose any effort by the federal government” to encroach on the states’ authorities.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
3.2.2  A. Macarthur  replied to    6 years ago

Instead of putting up straw-man posts, get the facts and the comment on them.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
3.3  A. Macarthur  replied to  arkpdx @3    6 years ago

NOT TRUE!

Read the executive order by the Obama administration imposing sanctions against Russia

The Obama administration announced a set of measures on Thursday to punish Russia for meddling in the U.S. election. This is the executive order released by the White House.  Obama administration announces measures to punish Russia for 2016 election interference

Obama Strikes Back at Russia for Election Hacking

WASHINGTON — President Obama struck back at Russia on Thursday for its efforts to influence the 2016 election, ejecting 35 suspected Russian intelligence operatives from the United States and imposing sanctions on Russia’s two leading intelligence services.

The administration also penalized four top officers of one of those services, the powerful military intelligence unit known as the G.R.U.

Intelligence agencies have concluded that the G.R.U. ordered the attacks on the Democratic National Committee and other political organizations, with the approval of the Kremlin, and ultimately enabled the publication of the emails it harvested to benefit Donald J. Trump’s campaign.

The lying in defense of Trump, and, the incessant, disingenuous blame-laying on others for his conspiratorial sell-out of America, ultimately is the manifestation of a base, not in support of a competent, honest, decent POTUS , rather, the depraved dedication to a perceived "Great White Hope" who reinforces their white-resentment, bigotry, xenophobia fear of truth.*

* Good thing I'm in a good mood today or I'd really hand the adolescent-minded, zeal-without-knowledge minions of a dangerous blowhard … their metaphorical asses.

No more Mr. NiceGuy … 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3.3.1  Greg Jones  replied to  A. Macarthur @3.3    6 years ago

deleted

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.3.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  A. Macarthur @3.3    6 years ago

You know December 2016 is after the election and the topic is what Obama did to stop the hacking while it was going on, right? 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.3.3  It Is ME  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.3.2    6 years ago

Obama only had 8 years, and we are "TOLD", he only knew about it for 2 years. Trump has had a year and a half. Trump should have had fixed it by now. Face Palm

lib50
Professor Silent
3.3.4  lib50  replied to  It Is ME @3.3.3    6 years ago
Trump should have had fixed it by now.

How about if the asshole honestly acknowledges it happened.  At this point he can't even do that.  And don't even try to Trumpsplain why he did, he can't unequivocally accept Russia breached our cyber-security borders.  There is always a qualification.   That is why we are still talking about it today. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.3.5  It Is ME  replied to  lib50 @3.3.4    6 years ago
he can't unequivocally accept Russia breached our cyber-security borders.

As far as I have understood it, Russia breached nothing more than Social Media with advertisements. 

Oh....

and the DNC computers, which theDNC won't turn over for our "Secret" folks to look at. Makes one wonder if they were actually breached at all. Maybe Miss Brazile gave out one too many papers ?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.3.6  Tessylo  replied to  It Is ME @3.3.5    6 years ago
'As far as I have understood it'

laughing dude

' Russia breached nothing more than Social Media with advertisements.'

laughing dude

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.3.7  It Is ME  replied to  Tessylo @3.3.6    6 years ago

Tickle, Tickle, Tickle.....

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
3.3.8  A. Macarthur  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.3.2    6 years ago
You know December 2016 is after the election and the topic is what Obama did to stop the hacking while it was going on, right?

And you SHOULD know that the particulars of the logistics of the hacking and interference, and, the ID's of the specific Russian military perpetrators … WHO WERE ORDERED BY PUTIN … are now known to the Mueller investigation … AND THAT OBAMA ISSUED SANCTIONS!

Trump on the other hand, also knew conclusively BEFORE HIS INAUGURATION … BUT HAS BEEN LYING TO THE AMERICAN PUBLIC EVER SINCE!

And the Russians continue to fuck with American cyberspace and infrastructure WHILE TRUMP STAYS OBVIOUSLY COMPROMISED AND GUTLESSLY UNDER PUTIN'S CONTROL!

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
3.3.9  A. Macarthur  replied to  It Is ME @3.3.5    6 years ago
As far as I have understood it, Russia breached nothing more than Social Media with advertisements.

Among other things …

Illinois voter data likely targeted in Russia hacking

U.S. Tells 21 States That Hackers Targeted Their Voting Systems

By   The Associated Press

• Sept. 22, 2017
  • WASHINGTON — The federal government on Friday told election officials in 21 states that hackers targeted their systems before last year’s presidential election.
  • The notification came roughly a year after officials with the United States Department of Homeland Security first said states were targeted by hacking efforts possibly connected to Russia. The states that told The Associated Press they had been targeted included some key political battlegrounds, such as Florida, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia and Wisconsin.

The A.P. contacted every state election office to determine which ones had been informed that their election systems had been targeted. The others that confirmed they were targeted were Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Iowa, Maryland, Minnesota, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, Texas and Washington.

Election Hackers Altered Voter Rolls, Stole Private Data, Officials Say

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.3.10  It Is ME  replied to  A. Macarthur @3.3.9    6 years ago

From your own links :

In one case, investigators found there had been a manipulation of voter data in a county database but the alterations were discovered and rectified, two sources familiar with the matter tell TIME.

There’s no evidence they were able to affect the counting within the machines,” says the top Democrat on the House Intelligence committee, Congressman Adam Schiff of California."

Maybe Obama should have taken things like this more seriously after 8 Friggin years in Office. Remember....No Voter fraud exists.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
3.3.11  A. Macarthur  replied to  It Is ME @3.3.5    6 years ago
and the DNC computers, which theDNC won't turn over for our "Secret" folks to look at. Makes one wonder if they were actually breached at all. Maybe Miss Brazile gave out one too many papers ?
Let's put the bullshit to rest!
"The servers of the Pakistani gentleman that worked on the DNC" are "missing."

Donald Trump   on Monday, July 16th, 2018 in a press conference with Vladimir Putin

Donald Trump answered reporters' questions about Russia’s interference in the 2016 election and if he believed Putin’s denials over his own intelligence community’s findings.

Instead of answering the question directly, Trump began discussing servers.

"You have groups that are wondering why the FBI never took the server -- haven't they taken the server. Why was the FBI told to leave the office of the Democratic National Committee? I've been wondering that, I've been asking that for months and months and I've been tweeting it out and calling it out on social media. Where is the server? I want to know where is the server and what is the server saying?

"With that being said, all I can do is ask the question. My people came to me, Dan Coats came to me and some others, they said they think it's Russia. I have President Putin; he just said it's not Russia. I will say this: I don't see any reason why it would be. But I really do want to see the server."

Moments later, Trump added, "What happened to the servers of the Pakistani gentleman that worked on the DNC? Where are those servers? They're missing; where are they?"

Trump's rhetorical question gets the details wrong.

You could take Trump's words to mean a DNC server has gone missing, but that's not true . And as for the "Pakistani gentleman," Trump is referring to a House IT staffer who did not work for the DNC and who government investigators concluded did not steal or leak computer data.

The DNC server

On July 13, the Justice Department charged 12 Russian intelligence officers with hacking the Democratic National Committee, the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, and Hillary Clinton campaign staffers.

Special counsel Robert Mueller’s indictment confirms previous findings from the U.S. intelligence community. In April 2016, Russian intelligence officials installed spying software on the computer network of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee, which works to elect members of the U.S. House of Representatives. The hack in turn allowed them access to 33 Democratic National Committee computers. The emails obtained through the hack were pushed out on social media beginning in June 2016, and Wikileaks soon joined that effort.

At some point, the FBI and DNC started working together to fight the hack and investigate how it happened, but DNC was slow to react to the FBI’s initial warning that their server had been compromised.

During former FBI director James Comey’s testimony to the House Intelligence Committee, Comey was asked whether the FBI had ever received the DNC’s hacked hardware.

He said they did not, but  obtained access from a review of the system performed by CrowdStrike, a third-party cybersecurity firm.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.3.12  It Is ME  replied to  A. Macarthur @3.3.11    6 years ago

I never said ANYTHING was missing....did I !

I SAID....The DNC wouldn't turn over their servers for inspection.

"The DNC says it cooperated with the FBI, providing information on the server through a third-party vendor.The FBI provided no comment, but then-FBI director Comey said it was an appropriate substitute."

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
3.3.13  A. Macarthur  replied to  It Is ME @3.3.10    6 years ago

They did however bombard the target individuals whose personal information they stole from social media (87 million or more), that in order to effect their mindsets and denigrate Clinton. 

Cambridge Analytica, the shady data firm that might be a key Trump-Russia link, explained

Why House investigators think this company might have gamed Facebook and helped Russia spread fake news.

Trump’s digital army

In June 2016, the Trump campaign hired Cambridge Analytica to take over its data operations.

We know from the reporting of   Nicholas Confessore and Danny Hakim   at the New York Times that Jared Kushner, who was charged with overseeing Trump’s digital operations, is the reason Cambridge Analytica joined the Trump campaign.

Kushner hired a man named Brad Parscale, a Texas-based digital expert who had worked previously for team Trump. According to Confessore and Hakim, Cambridge Analytica convinced Parscale (who has since agreed to be interviewed by the House Intelligence Committee) to “try out the firm.” The decision was reinforced by Trump’s campaign manager, Steve Bannon, who is also a former vice president of Cambridge Analytica.

It’s not clear to what extent Cambridge Analytica helped (Parscale denied that Cambridge was of any use in a recent   60 Minutes   interview ), but we do know that Trump’s digital operation was shockingly effective.   Samuel Woolley , who heads the Computational Propaganda project at Oxford’s Internet Institute, found that a disproportionate amount of pro-Trump messaging was spread via automated bots and anti-Hillary propaganda. Trump’s bots, they reported at the time of the election, outnumbered Clinton’s five to one.

Pro-Trump programmers “carefully adjusted the timing of content production during the debates, strategically colonized pro-Clinton hashtags, and then disabled activities after Election Day.”

Martin Moore, director of the Centre for the Study of Media, Communication and Power at King’s College, told the Guardian’s   Carole Cadwalladr   that Trump’s campaign “was using 40-50,000 variants of ads every day that were continuously measuring responses and then adapting and evolving based on that response.”

These online ads were spread primarily through bots on social media platforms. The ads that got liked, shared, and retweeted the most were reproduced and redistributed based on where they were popular and who they appealed to.

The benefit of this kind of data is that it allows data companies like Cambridge Analytica to develop more sophisticated psychological profiles of internet users (more data points means more predictive power).

Steve Bannon named in Facebook-Cambridge Analytica lawsuit

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
3.3.14  A. Macarthur  replied to  It Is ME @3.3.12    6 years ago

TRUMP SAID IT WAS MISSING … inducing you to go there as if it were relevant to the investigation.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
3.3.15  Raven Wing  replied to  It Is ME @3.3.7    6 years ago
Tickle, Tickle, Tickle...

There's a cream for that.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.3.16  It Is ME  replied to  Raven Wing @3.3.15    6 years ago

So I've heard. Thinking 2

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.3.17  It Is ME  replied to  A. Macarthur @3.3.14    6 years ago

I ......… NEVER …….. "Went there".

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.3.18  It Is ME  replied to  A. Macarthur @3.3.13    6 years ago
in order to effect their mindsets

Not mine....nor anyone else's problem that voters don't know who they are voting for or why. If someone else needs to explain it to them, they shouldn't be voting.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.3.19  Sean Treacy  replied to  A. Macarthur @3.3.8    6 years ago

So we agree Obama knew about the hacking and did nothing about it (other than order our cyber security defenses to "Stand down")  until after the election.

Imagine if Trump ordered our cyber security forces to stand down and let Putin interfere with an election.   

AND THAT OBAMA ISSUED SANCTIONS!

Not only did Trump increase sanctions, he expelled diplomats, reversed the Obama administration and sent arms to Ukraine, pushed NATO to increase defense spending, took steps to increase  domestic energy production  etc etc... Trump's actions are indisputably tougher on Russia than Obama's.  

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
3.3.20  A. Macarthur  replied to  It Is ME @3.3.18    6 years ago
Not mine....nor anyone else's problem that voters don't know who they are voting for or why. If someone else needs to explain it to them, they shouldn't be voting.

We agree!

But in reality, the reason voters are targeted and played as so many were, is a horrifying commentary on reality; too many fucking people are persuaded by advertising, propaganda, disinformation … and it's not necessarily their fault … but when ignorance is bliss and Boobus american is lazy, often a one-issue, zeal-without-knowledge voter … ultimately, we all pay a price.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
3.3.21  A. Macarthur  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.3.19    6 years ago
Trump's actions are indisputably tougher on Russia than Obama's.

Trump's sanctions extended Obama's … BUT TRUMP INTENTIONALLY DELAYED IMPLEMENTATION SO THAT RUSSIAN OLIGARCHS HAD TIME TO MOVE THEIR ASSETS!

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.3.22  Sean Treacy  replied to  A. Macarthur @3.3.21    6 years ago
Trump's sanctions extended Obama's

No, Trump retained Obama's sanctions, and then instituted additional, tougher sanctions as well including  direct sanctions on Putin's cronies. 

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
3.3.23  A. Macarthur  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.3.22    6 years ago
Trump's actions are indisputably tougher on Russia than Obama's.

Trump's sanctions extended Obama's … BUT TRUMP INTENTIONALLY DELAYED IMPLEMENTATION SO THAT RUSSIAN OLIGARCHS HAD TIME TO MOVE THEIR ASSETS!

It's No Coincidence These Russian Sanctions Took a Year to Show Up

Just enough time for the oligarchs to move their assets around.

There are some obvious considerations here, the most obvious one being that “imposing” sanctions and “enforcing” sanctions are two distinctly different things. We’re going to have to see if the administration* actually enforces the sanctions it announced on Friday. Another one is pointed out in  this NBC News story  that was flagged by Sarah Kendizor, whose work on this issue has been invaluable.

One U.S. official noted that the delay in initiating sanctions against the oligarchs responsible for meddling in the 2016 U.S. election has muted their effect. He said that the oligarchs have had a year to restructure their U.S. holdings. "They had to know these were coming," he said.
And …
The Obama "stand down" order claim is misrepresented by Trump supporters!

Fact Check: Did The Obama Administration Respond To Election Interference By Russia?

President Trump claims President Obama failed to respond to Russian interference in the 2016 election. A fact-check of those claims paints a more complicated picture.

MICHEL MARTIN, HOST:

In responding to the news that 12 Russian intelligence agents allegedly hacked the DNC and other Democratic groups during the 2016 election, President Trump repeated a familiar line.

(SOUNDBITE OF ARCHIVED RECORDING)

PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: Again, this was during the Obama administration. They were doing whatever it was during the Obama administration.

MARTIN: This is from an interview this morning with CBS News. And, on Twitter yesterday, Mr. Trump wrote, quote, "the stories you heard about the 12 Russians yesterday took place during the Obama administration, not the Trump administration. Why didn't they do something about it?" - unquote. So we thought this would be a good moment to fact-check that claim, so we asked our national security editor Phil Ewing to break this down.

Phil, thanks so much for coming.

PHIL EWING, BYLINE: Thanks for having me.

MARTIN: The assumption in what President Trump is saying is that President Obama took no action after learning that the Russians were interfering in the election. Is that the case?

EWING: No, that's not quite correct. The Obama administration had a great deal of internal debate in real time in 2016 about how to respond - whether they should do so publicly or privately. Ultimately, President Obama did so privately with the Russian president Vladimir Putin. He took him aside at an international summit and said, please stop interfering in our election - to no effect.

And the Obama administration also tried to ask leaders in Congress of both parties to sign a statement condemning these foreign efforts. The Democratic leaders agreed to do so. The Republican speaker, Paul Ryan, apparently thought that he could get there, but the majority leader in the Senate, Mitch McConnell, did not agree to do that. And so, ultimately, there was no public statement until October of 2016, by which time, with the view of history, it may have been too late to do anything about it.

MARTIN: Did the Obama administration take any steps other than jawboning?

EWING: Ultimately, President Obama's administration did take some action against the Russians. So in December of 2016 and January of 2017, there were some punitive measures the United States imposed. The Russian "diplomats," quote-unquote, were ejected from the United States. Their facilities in the United States were closed that they used to spy from New York and Maryland. And there were economic measures that the United States has taken, both under Obama and Trump, in retaliation for this election interference.

The view from critics on the outside was that it might have done more. There might have been cyberattacks - for example, the United States could have launched against the Russians to give back the Russians a taste of their own medicine. Ultimately, the Obama administration decided not to do that because the United States itself is so vulnerable to cyberattacks. And if you get into a cycle of escalation with the Russians, in this view, the United States is going to be the loser there because of how many more vulnerabilities we have as compared with how many they have.

MARTIN: In hindsight, is there regret on the part of Obama administration officials that they didn't take some of these steps?

EWING: You know, you definitely get the impression from people like the former director of national intelligence, James Clapper, who just wrote a book, that he regrets not acting more quickly or more forcefully. And I think this is something that, as the 2020 Democratic election storyline gets going, you may hear more from the former Vice President Joe Biden if he gets into the mix. And everyone in the world is going to be waiting for the former president, Mr. Obama, when his much-awaited book comes out. And I think a lot of people are going to be looking and seeing whether Obama has regrets or whether has decisions that he might have taken a different way once we find out what he was thinking in real time in 2016.

MARTIN: That's NPR national security editor Phil Ewing.

Phil, thank you.

EWING: Thank you.

Copyright © 2018 NPR. All rights reserved. Visit our website  terms of use  and  permissions  pages at  www.npr.org  for further information.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.3.24  It Is ME  replied to  A. Macarthur @3.3.20    6 years ago

AGREE ! thumbs up

Gotta luv "social" Technology Overall. Makes No Sense  Eye Roll

bugsy
Professor Participates
3.3.25  bugsy  replied to  It Is ME @3.3.12    6 years ago

I think you are supposed to make some of your font really small and some of it blue when replying to Mac.

96WS6
Junior Quiet
3.3.26  96WS6  replied to  A. Macarthur @3.3    6 years ago

Amac please.  Seriously, come on, you are better than this.  You know damn well BO poo pood it UNTIL AFTER THE ELECTION WAS LOST.

Yea right when Trump said it he was nuts now you all are screaming bout it LMFAOOOOO!!!!

Tell me the truth AMac.  If Hillary won do you think we would be hearing anything at all about Russian Election interference? (that you wouldn't discount as conspiracy theory bullshit yourself?)

Just Curious.  Are you supporting having the interpreter testify so you all can find out what Trump said on his one on one meeting so no president will ever be trusted to be able to speak in private with a leader of another country again?  Has your hate of Trump driven you to this level of madness?

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.3.27  It Is ME  replied to  bugsy @3.3.25    6 years ago

laughing dude

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
3.3.28  Skrekk  replied to  96WS6 @3.3.26    6 years ago

I agree that the most responsible thing for Obama to have done would have been to announce after the GOP convention that Putin was trying to get Trump electe, and to publicly name the various Trump campaign officials who were conspiring with Russia or suspected of other crimes.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
3.4  A. Macarthur  replied to  arkpdx @3    6 years ago

Either cease and desist the lying, or, educate yourself so as not to show your ignorance!

3.3     A. Macarthur  

Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו
Junior Participates
3.5  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  arkpdx @3    6 years ago

You people should quit pretending that you'd have cheered Obama on for publicly going after Trump and his Russian enablers.  You're ridiculous enough just with the every day BS you try to peddle but this is just makes you beyond pathetic.  

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
4  bbl-1    6 years ago

Uh, pardon me...……..but...……..the Trump is the evidence. 

The end game must be approaching.  At Helsinki 'the Trump' accomplished one thing.  He brought Putin down to his level. 

Wait for 'the Russians' to start leaking.  Putin must go into 'protect himself mode.'  He's now another 'bloke' that got too close to 'the Trump'.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5  seeder  JohnRussell    6 years ago

CBS News Poll 68% of Republicans believe Trump did a great job with the Putin Summit. This is what we are up against. A voting pool of complete idiots.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
5.1  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  JohnRussell @5    6 years ago

The reality is that Trump is akin to a family mob boss who is only loved by those in the community he protects and defends who don't care how he accomplishes it. They don't care if he has to lie, cheat and steal to give them stolen goods under the table, to share his criminal enterprise profits with the "familia". The white nationalists and white supremacists along with the Christian right who believe they should have a special and superior position over other American citizens who happen to be liberal, progressive, gay, an immigrant or some other minority group, love Trump and the fact he has championed their bigoted cause. To them he can do no wrong. As he said during the campaign, he could "stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot somebody" and "not lose any voters". The law says if you aid and abet a murderer, you're guilty of murder as well. His followers are nothing but criminals when they are complicit with Trumps treasonous speech and actions.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
5.1.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @5.1    6 years ago

Excellent description. And the 'Donald' would obviously like to be treated like Mafia royalty, with people before him on their knees and kissing his hand before he throws them under the bus. 

bugsy
Professor Participates
5.2  bugsy  replied to  JohnRussell @5    6 years ago

John, if you think these people are idiots, what does that say about the group that lost to that group of idiots?

Jim of the Great Northwoods
Freshman Silent
6  Jim of the Great Northwoods    6 years ago

eb3e8e319d594afbc3b0536422ec281aa0f0b77aa3df47a82d7c81a7fe76a084.jpg

freepress
Freshman Silent
7  freepress    6 years ago

There is absolutely no question that Trump knew. Just go back to the initial reports when Russia nailed a few of the hackers but said it wasn't "ordered" by Putin. 

Every step of the way, both British and US intelligence has proven it was deliberate and Trumpsters fail to even put the simplest 2+2 together when Putin said publicly that he wanted Trump to win and now we know that there are at least 26 other Russian operatives named in the Mueller indictments relating to hacking and influence.

The newest story of a Russian operative that infiltrated the NRA and the GOP. Talk about the "deep state", the GOP is clearly now exposed as the "deep state" accepting bribes, campaign cash, sex, favors and anything at all to obtain power including doing nothing to protect our elections.

The GOP sold out and they don't care at this point who knows, they refuse to hold anyone accountable, sit in denial, hoping that their base will continue down the path of least resistance and ignore their traitorous actions.

The GOP cannot and will not protect Americans or our elections as long as they can "win" by cheating and by turning a blind eye to the cheating they allow from foreign influence.

They no longer stand for religion, for patriotism or America, they openly defy all oaths they took to their office and sell out to foreign influence while the Trumpster base is happy to play ignorant.

96WS6
Junior Quiet
8  96WS6    6 years ago

BO saw evidence too but told Rice to stand down why aren't you all losing your minds over that shit?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
8.1  Sparty On  replied to  96WS6 @8    6 years ago

Because its not called ODS, its called TDS.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.2  Tessylo  replied to  96WS6 @8    6 years ago

See AMac's comment above at 3.3.23

Which I'm sure you have and will dismiss as well.  

96WS6
Junior Quiet
8.2.1  96WS6  replied to  Tessylo @8.2    6 years ago

Yea i did see it.  Care to dispute my response to that bullshit?  Didn't think so....