╌>

Putin kindly offers to help investigate Russian meddling in the US election Trump called it an “incredible offer.”

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tessylo  •  6 years ago  •  19 comments

Putin kindly offers to help investigate Russian meddling in the US election Trump called it an “incredible offer.”

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Putin kindly offers to help investigate Russian meddling in the US election

Trump called it an “incredible offer.”

Chris McGrath/Getty Images

President Donald Trump just bragged that Vladimir Putin has offered to send Russian government investigators to look into Russian government meddling in the 2016 US presidential election.

That is not a joke.

It’s the “interesting idea” Trump mentioned during the press conference after Monday’s closed-door   meeting   between the two leaders. An idea he said Putin proposed to address Russian involvement in America’s last election and its potential interference in future ones (including the 2018 midterm elections).

Apparently, the Russian president suggested that he send his own people to investigate the 12 named Russian employees of the GRU (the country’s military intelligence agency) indicted Friday by   special counsel Robert Mueller . They were charged in connection with the hack of the email server of the Democratic National Committee (DNC) and the publishing of hacked emails under the guise of “lone hacker” Guccifer 2.0.

Trump teased Putin’s “interesting idea” in his opening remarks during their joint press conference Monday morning:

During today’s meeting, I addressed directly with President Putin the issue of Russian interference in our elections. I felt this was a message best delivered in person. Spent a great deal of time talking about it. President Putin may very well want to address it and very strongly, because he feels strongly about it. He has an interesting idea.

Putin did, in fact, address the allegations “strongly” — which is to say he denied any meddling in the election. And to prove it, he said, he would have Russian law enforcement question the indicted individuals themselves — and even allow members of Mueller’s investigative team to sit in on the questioning:

We have an existing agreement between the United States of America and the Russian Federation, an existing treaty that dates back to 1999: the mutual assistance on criminal cases. [...] This treaty has specific legal procedures we can offer. The appropriate commission headed by Mueller, he can use this as a solid foundation and send an official request to us so that we would interrogate, hold questioning of these individuals who he believes are privy to some crimes. Our enforcement are perfectly able to do this questioning and send the appropriate materials to the United States.

Moreover, we can meet you halfway. We can make another step. We can actually permit representatives of the United States, including the members of this very commission headed by Mr. Mueller, we can let them into the country. They will be present at questioning.

Putin said he’d allow members of Mueller’s team into Russia only if the US allowed him to reciprocate — to allow Russian operatives into the US. Specifically, Putin mentioned allegations against financier and vocal Putin critic Bill Browder — whom he accused of funneling (along with his associates) $400 million in donations to Hillary Clinton’s campaign.

In other words, this is Putin’s “interesting idea” to address exhaustively documented allegations that employees of the Russian government tried to interfere in the 2016 presidential campaign by hacking into, and publishing, private emails from one major party in the campaign:

1. Have Russian government officials ask other Russian government officials if the Russian government told them to commit a crime.
  2. Let US officials watch Russian officials ask other Russian officials if the Russian government told them to commit a crime.
  3. Send Russian officials into the US to investigate allegations against domestic critics of Vladimir Putin.

But if Putin offered a quid pro quo, Trump appears to have heard only a favor. He later praised Putin for his willingness in cooperating in the investigation into his own government:

What he did is an incredible offer. He offered to have the people working on the case come and work with their investigators with respect to the 12 people. I think that’s an incredible offer.

It is “incredible” — in that it is extremely hard to believe that a government whose employees are being investigated   by a foreign country is going to participate, in good faith, in that investigation while denying out of hand that any wrongdoing took place. But Trump appears to believe just that.

Mueller’s office has   declined to comment .

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Tessylo    6 years ago

'Putin said he’d allow members of Mueller’s team into Russia only if the US allowed him to reciprocate — to allow Russian operatives into the US. Specifically, Putin mentioned allegations against financier and vocal Putin critic Bill Browder — whom he accused of funneling (along with his associates) $400 million in donations to Hillary Clinton’s campaign.

In other words, this is Putin’s “interesting idea” to address exhaustively documented allegations that employees of the Russian government tried to interfere in the 2016 presidential campaign by hacking into, and publishing, private emails from one major party in the campaign:

1. Have Russian government officials ask other Russian government officials if the Russian government told them to commit a crime.
  2. Let US officials watch Russian officials ask other Russian officials if the Russian government told them to commit a crime.
  3. Send Russian officials into the US to investigate allegations against domestic critics of Vladimir Putin.

But if Putin offered a quid pro quo, Trump appears to have heard only a favor. He later praised Putin for his willingness in cooperating in the investigation into his own government:

What he did is an incredible offer. He offered to have the people working on the case come and work with their investigators with respect to the 12 people. I think that’s an incredible offer.

It is “incredible” — in that it is extremely hard to believe that a government whose employees are being investigated   by a foreign country is going to participate, in good faith, in that investigation while denying out of hand that any wrongdoing took place. But Trump appears to believe just that.

Mueller’s office has   declined to comment .'

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
1.1  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Tessylo @1    6 years ago
Putin said he’d allow members of Mueller’s team into Russia only if the US allowed him to reciprocate

LOL I actually laughed out loud when I heard Putin deliver that line.

Putin sounded like a bad used car salesman trying to close a BS deal and evidently trump swallowed it hook, line and sinker. 

sad

The art of the deal ? LOL 

Just as realistic now as "The BEST of the BEST"  Ha ha

From what I see not properly vetting people and believing lies he likes seem to go hand in hand for our new president. 

All of this would be hilarious as hell if it weren't so important to the long term good of the country.

But, Now it's just sad.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
1.1.1  Raven Wing  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @1.1    6 years ago

If Trump buys into Putin's BS, I've got the London Bridge in Russia that I will sell to him very cheap. 

epistte
Junior Guide
1.2  epistte  replied to  Tessylo @1    6 years ago
Putin said he’d allow members of Mueller’s team into Russia only if the US allowed him to reciprocate — to allow Russian operatives into the US. Specifically, Putin mentioned allegations against financier and vocal Putin critic Bill Browder — whom he accused of funneling (along with his associates) $400 million in donations to Hillary Clinton’s campaign.

The writers for The Onion and Andy Borowitz are outraged because even they cannot concoct such idiocy, despite the fact that their ideas are satire.

Has Turtle McConnell responded to Putin's "generosity"? 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  epistte @1.2    6 years ago

Well of course the rump is backpedaling now.

Digging a whole

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2  Bob Nelson    6 years ago

Well of course it's a fabulous offer.

I mean... Vlad surely knows what Russia's role was, so if he's offering to explain it all to us, we really must take him up on it.

What could possibly go wrong?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3  Tacos!    6 years ago

It literally is an incredible offer. As in: not credible.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Tacos! @3    6 years ago

So are you trumpsplaining now Tacos?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3.1.1  Tacos!  replied to  Tessylo @3.1    6 years ago

If I knew what that meant, I might know how to answer it.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.2  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Tacos! @3.1.1    6 years ago

You know exactly what I meant tacos.  

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3.1.3  Tacos!  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.2    6 years ago

Nope, I honestly don't.

For that matter, I get the feeling you don't understand what my comment meant. It was my intention to be critical of Trump because Putin's offer is literally not believable.

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.1.5  Dulay  replied to  Tacos! @3.1.3    6 years ago
It was my intention to be critical of Trump because Putin's offer is literally not believable.

Yet amazingly there are quite a few Trump supporters who agree with Trump, that it's a great offer. The pretzel they have to twist themselves into to try to express a cogent reason for believing Trump is utterly ridiculous. What really gets me is they desperately need to ignore the quid pro quo that Putin offered. 

Imagine if Obama had suggested that a Bush Administration official, let's say, John Bolton, submit themselves to Russian interrogation. Torches and pitchforks would have ensued. 

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
4  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    6 years ago

Incredible offer?  Holy crap on a cracker, where in the hell is my Hari Kari knife?!  I don't think I can take much more of this blithering idiot. 

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
4.1  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @4    6 years ago

Sister Mary, that isn't the end of it, today Sarah Sanders said in a tweet Trump wants to invite Putin to the White House in the Fall. The DNI said this, "He did what?"

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
5  bbl-1    6 years ago

Senate voted 98-0 to nix this deal.  

Wow!  Even the Trumper GOPERS?  I suspect that this was a 'CYA vote' for some of them.

Kavika
Professor Principal
6  Kavika     6 years ago

After this ''episode'' of the Wacky White House we have gone completely into the realm of science fiction. 

Boris and Natasha have more credibility than this administration. 

1smiz3.jpg

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
6.1  dave-2693993  replied to  Kavika @6    6 years ago

See, that is what real Russian spies look like.

Kavika
Professor Principal
6.1.1  Kavika   replied to  dave-2693993 @6.1    6 years ago

LOL

JBB
Professor Principal
7  JBB    6 years ago

Donald Trump is personally the most dangerous constitutional crisis since, well, forever. IMPEACH NOW!