╌>

Trump Keeps Fantasizing About His Popularity Vs Lincoln

Category:  News & Politics

By:  johnrussell  •  6 years ago  •  261 comments

Trump Keeps Fantasizing About His Popularity Vs Lincoln

Donald Trump is a persistent cuss. He seems to have the idea stuck in his craw that he is more popular than Abraham Lincoln. That pipe dream isn't relevant to a damn thing in 2018, but Trump keeps pushing the idea. 

----------

Donald J. Trump

Wow, highest Poll Numbers in the history of the Republican Party. That includes Honest Abe Lincoln and Ronald Reagan. There must be something wrong, please recheck that poll!

----------

In truth ( a foreign concept in Trumpworld)  the fact that Republicans like Trump in high numbers is more of a disturbing anomaly exhibited by that tribe than an indication that he is a good president or even a good guy. 

Despite his approval among Republicans approaching 85% in some polls, his overall approval hovers around 40% , which means that the only people who can stand him are his "base".  The higher their approval of him goes without the overall total approval rising much , the more we know that the rest of America is rejecting him.

There was no polling when Abraham Lincoln was president, so that comparison is narcissistic fantasy on the part of Trump. As for Reagan, the true comparison would be not who had the higher approval among Republicans at their own time, but which of the two would be preferred by Republicans in a head to head contest. I looked to see if there has been such a poll but couldn't find one. 

As usual, it turns out though that Trump is wrong or lying , even within the context of his self created parameters.

“You know, a poll just came out that I am the most popular person in the history of the Republican Party,” Trump told British tabloid The Sun in an interview during his trip to the U.K. “Beating Lincoln. I beat our Honest Abe.”  

A Gallup poll released earlier in July found that 90 percent of Republicans  approved of Trump in June, which would make him one of the most popular modern presidents with his own party at this point in his first term. However, former President George W. Bush had a higher approval rating with his own party shortly after the Sept. 11 attacks.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/399379-trump-claims-his-polling-numbers-are-higher-than-lincolns

I am waiting for someone to come up with the mother of all polls though - who is more popular among Republicans , Donald Trump or Jesus Christ. They had polling in 33 AD didn't they? 

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  author  JohnRussell    6 years ago

Psychiatrist: Trump Mental Health Urgently Deteriorating

--Dr. John Gartner, Founder of Duty To Warn and co-editor of "Rocket Man: Nuclear Madness and the Mind of Donald Trump," joins David to discuss the mental health conditions he

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @1    6 years ago

As someone else stated on here - might have been you JR, not sure - he is as popular as anal warts and dental abscesses, except among his supporters.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.3  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @1    6 years ago

'Wow, highest Poll Numbers in the history of the Republican Party. That includes Honest Abe Lincoln and Ronald Reagan. There must be something wrong, please recheck that poll!'

Hey you dumbfuck Rump - there were no presidential polls in Abe Lincoln's time.  They didn't come about until around 1935 - about 70 years after Abe died.  

goofy

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  author  JohnRussell    6 years ago
The real Trump numbers are closer to 50%,

Uh, no. 

Eat The Press Do Not Read It
Professor Guide
3.2  Eat The Press Do Not Read It  replied to  JohnRussell @3    6 years ago

50% in the minds of folks with an I.Q of below 60 and a propensity to suck on the barrels of their loaded weapons. This man is a TRAITOR, a pawn of Putin, an individual that will do anything for money.

He is another Jim Jone, but, more deadly.

There is nothing redeeming, or, legal about the ORANGE BABOON, in my humbled by the years'Trump Face Up close.jpg opinion, that are richly held by me.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
3.2.1  pat wilson  replied to  Eat The Press Do Not Read It @3.2    6 years ago

That image reminds me of what I've seen when I've made the mistake of looking into the toilet of a porta potty after an all day festival. Yeah, same shit.

Professor Guide
3.2.2  Eat The Press Do Not Read It  replied to  pat wilson @3.2.1    6 years ago

I have made that mistake, too. I produce a number of outside events and we had to rent those things. Even the most expensive could not get past that Trump look, or, smell.

Thanks for bringing that image back to mind.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
3.2.3  Skrekk  replied to  pat wilson @3.2.1    6 years ago

It's interesting that no matter the look on his face his eyes are always dead.    It's the stare of a sociopath.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.2.4  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  pat wilson @3.2.1    6 years ago

I've seen better heads on boils.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
3.2.5  cjcold  replied to  Eat The Press Do Not Read It @3.2    6 years ago

The face of evil personified.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
4  MrFrost    6 years ago

Trumpy gets mad when he finds out that ANYONE ANYWHERE thinks that there is another human being, dead or alive, better than he is at.....ANYTHING. 

I get having a big ego, but trump literally thinks he is the greatest human being to ever walk the face of the Earth. His ego comes before everything else, even his family. Look at how trump deals with issues as president. 

1) Insult someone, or some country...

2) Meet with them..

3) Come out and claim that he saved the world. 

It's nothing more than a way for trumptard to boost his own ego. 

Remember when trump found out he lost the popular vote by ~3 million votes? He literally formed a commission to investigate illegal voting, (which he claimed, was the exact same number of votes he lost the popular vote by...weird...LOL). He did this DESPITE the Bush administration doing the exact same thing and found that the incidence on illegal voting was so small, it literally had no impact at all. Trumps commission found nothing, and quietly disbanded 6 months ago. Again, the only reason her did this? To protect his pathetic ego. 

Who can forget trump pushing a world leader out of the way so he can be front and center for the cameras.... EGO. 

Lincoln better than Trump? Pffft....not in trumps eyes. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  MrFrost @4    6 years ago

lincoln freed the slaves and trump freed the morons

MrFrost
Professor Expert
4.1.1  MrFrost  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1    6 years ago

Trump has called his supporters "idiots" to their face, and they just keep on cheering.... I find that...deplorable. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.1.2  Sparty On  replied to  MrFrost @4.1.1    6 years ago

Not really but Hillary did call a big percentage of Americans deplorable and lost an election over it.    Who’s the idiot now?

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
4.1.3  lennylynx  replied to  Sparty On @4.1.2    6 years ago

That was, indeed, a very stupid thing for her to say, and it pissed me off the second I heard it.  Disparaging your opponent's voters is the last thing you want to do.  She was overconfident about winning or she wouldn't have said it.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  lennylynx @4.1.3    6 years ago

And yet, it appears no one learned from Abuela's gaffe, as many on the left still are engaging in the same exact thing.

Evidence is clearly written on your computer screen on this article.

What's that one definition of insanity--doing the SAME thing and expecting different results?

LMAO and SMMFH!

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
4.1.5  lennylynx  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.4    6 years ago

I've been disparaging the ( deleted )for years and will continue to, but I wouldn't be if I was running for office.  Get it now? Duh...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.6  Texan1211  replied to  lennylynx @4.1.5    6 years ago

yeah, you would.

A zebra doesn't change his stripes.

And your continued name-calling shows me who you really are.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
4.1.7  MrFrost  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.6    6 years ago
And your continued name-calling shows me who you really are.

Hypocrite much?

Abuela's 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
4.1.9  MrFrost  replied to  Sparty On @4.1.2    6 years ago
Who’s the idiot now?

Ok, I give up, who are you referring to? 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
4.1.10  MrFrost  replied to  XDm9mm @4.1.8    6 years ago

I was referring to the name calling. Learn to follow a thread. 

While you're at it? Tell us what Hillary has to do with donny's thinking he is better than Lincoln? I mean, other than fucking nothing?

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
4.1.12  Skrekk  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1    6 years ago
lincoln freed the slaves and trump freed the morons

Very true.    Plus Trump is far more like Andrew Johnson than Lincoln.     Johnson was a racist Birther too.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
4.1.13  Skrekk  replied to  lennylynx @4.1.3    6 years ago
Disparaging your opponent's voters is the last thing you want to do

That's true, but not only was she correct about those voters but she was off by a factor of two.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
4.1.14  Skrekk  replied to  Sparty On @4.1.2    6 years ago
Not really but Hillary did call a big percentage of Americans deplorable and lost an election over it.

I seriously doubt the deplorables would have voted for a smart and ethical woman anyway. 

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
4.1.15  1ofmany  replied to  Skrekk @4.1.14    6 years ago
I seriously doubt the deplorables would have voted for a smart and ethical woman anyway. 

Too bad the loonies didn’t nominate a smart and ethical woman instead of Hillary. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
4.1.16  Raven Wing  replied to  1ofmany @4.1.15    6 years ago
Too bad the loonies didn’t nominate a smart and ethical woman instead of Hillary.

Too bad that the loonies on the right did not nominate one of the far smarter and ethical men instead of the egotistical moron now representing their party.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
4.1.17  MrFrost  replied to  1ofmany @4.1.15    6 years ago

No, they elected a feckless retard with no morals at all instead. 

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
4.1.18  arkpdx  replied to  Skrekk @4.1.14    6 years ago

It is nice to see that you finally admit that Hillary was neither smart nor ethical. The first step in rehabilitation is acknowledgement 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
4.1.19  MrFrost  replied to  Sparty On @4.1.2    6 years ago
Not really but Hillary did call a big percentage of Americans deplorable

Um, nope. She called half of trumps supporters, (at the time, 23% of eligible voters), deplorable. 11.5% is not a "big percentage". Sorry. 

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
4.1.21  arkpdx  replied to  MrFrost @4.1.19    6 years ago

It was a big enough percentage for her to die the election .

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
4.1.22  1ofmany  replied to  Raven Wing @4.1.16    6 years ago
Too bad that the loonies on the right did not nominate one of the far smarter and ethical men instead of the egotistical moron now representing their party.

But he won and Hillary didn’t. If you don’t want that “egotistical moron” in office for four more years, then you’ll need a better candidate than Hillary who has a message that somebody other than the looney left wants to hear. 

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
4.1.23  1ofmany  replied to  MrFrost @4.1.17    6 years ago
Too bad the loonies didn’t nominate a smart and ethical woman instead of Hillary. No, they elected a feckless retard with no morals at all instead.

But the alternative was Hillary fucking Clinton, a woman who’s been lying and conniving her ass off for longer than many people have been alive and kept doing it right through the election. 

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
4.1.25  1ofmany  replied to  XDm9mm @4.1.24    6 years ago

deleted

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
4.1.26  Raven Wing  replied to  1ofmany @4.1.22    6 years ago
If you don’t want that “egotistical moron” in office for four more years, then you’ll need a better candidate

Your assuming that I am a Democrat is laughable, pretending to know my political affiliation when you don't know Jack about me personally. I did not vote for Hillary, nor did/do I think she was a good candidate for the Oval office. 

So climb down off that High Horse you like to ride and don't make assumptions about others when you don't know anything about them on a personal basis.

Also, if the GOP wants to win in 2020, they will need to pick a more suitable candidate for the Oval office, as it will be permanently stained by Trump by that time, and in need of a new occupant. One that is experienced in what the job requires, has a modicum of class and acumen the job requires, one who knows the real difference between our allies and our enemies, and one that knows how to show humanity toward all Americans, not just their base. 

Then, the GOP might have a chance to continue occupying the Oval Office. If not, then there is no one to blame for the loss of the Oval office but the GOP itself.

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
4.1.28  1ofmany  replied to  Raven Wing @4.1.26    6 years ago
If you don’t want that “egotistical moron” in office for four more years, then you’ll need a better candidate Your assuming that I am a Democrat is laughable, pretending to know my political affiliation when you don't know Jack about me personally. I did not vote for Hillary, nor did/do I think she was a good candidate for the Oval office. 

I’ll be more specific. If you (singular or plural) expect to get rid of Trump, then you (singular or pural) will need a better candidate than Hillary (or any other candidate that ran against Trump). 

So climb down off that High Horse you like to ride and don't make assumptions about others when you don't know anything about them on a personal basis.

I’ll get down off mine when you jump down off yours. 

Also, if the GOP wants to win in 2020, they will need to pick a more suitable candidate for the Oval office, as it will be permanently stained by Trump by that time, and in need of a new occupant. One that is experienced in what the job requires, has a modicum of class and acumen the job requires, one who knows the real difference between our allies and our enemies, and one that knows how to show humanity toward all Americans, not just their base. 

That’s obviously not true. He can be just as stupid tomorrow as he is today and beat any candidate you (singular or plural) run against him the same way he did before. Why? Because the alternative is worse. 

Then, the GOP might have a chance to continue occupying the Oval Office. If not, then there is no one to blame for the loss of the Oval office but the GOP itself.

Those that are happy with him winning won’t be looking for anybody to blame. That’s what the losers do. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4.1.29  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Sparty On @4.1.2    6 years ago

HRC did not loose because she called Trump supporters just what they are....deplorable.  Three million more popular votes than what Trump had proves that.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
4.1.31  Raven Wing  replied to  1ofmany @4.1.28    6 years ago

The GOP party first loyalty in disregard of what is good for our country and all Americans is what will be the downfall of both Trump and the GOP party itself in the long run, or...it could be the short run. 

Being as I am not a Democrat, nor have I ever been, it is not up to me to determine who they will pick for their candidate. I am a former Republican who left when the Tea Party took over the GOP. I vote for the person I think is best qualified for the Oval Office and it's responsibilities. As I am not affiliated with any specific political party, I am not blinded by any party loyalty. 

I know that my not being a Democrat disappoints those who live to denigrate the 'left', but, life's a bi*ch and then we die. And they should not be so quick to try and define people when they don't know anything about them on a personal basis.  It only makes them look very desperate and foolish.  

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
4.1.32  Skrekk  replied to  MrFrost @4.1.19    6 years ago
She called half of trumps supporters, (at the time, 23% of eligible voters), deplorable

That's why I said she underestimated by a factor of 2.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
4.1.33  Skrekk  replied to  1ofmany @4.1.28    6 years ago
I’ll be more specific. If you (singular or plural) expect to get rid of Trump, then you (singular or pural) will need a better candidate than Hillary (or any other candidate that ran against Trump).

Ummmm.....why?   She got millions more votes than he did.    All we need to do is insure that the Russians stop meddling in our elections by swaying the vote to conservative morons, stop improper and unethical disclosures by the DoJ and its agencies, and take more direct and immediate action against those who conspire with hostile foreign governments.    For example many of Trump's campaign workers including members of his family should have been rotting in jail well before the 2016 election.

user image
Freshman Silent
4.1.34    replied to  Raven Wing @4.1.31    6 years ago
Being as I am not a Democrat, nor have I ever been

I just vote democrat in every election lol

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
4.1.35  Raven Wing  replied to  XDm9mm @4.1.27    6 years ago
ell the people that voted for them to 'be patient'....   a polite way of saying, "I fucked you again you stupid shitbrain, WHEN will you realize I say the same fucking lies year after year and the best part is YOU BELIEVE IT YEAR AFTER YEAR and you continue to reelect me...."

And you think that moronic lying POS in the Oval office thinks more highly of his base or supporters? laughing dude  laughing dude

It is not just the Democrats that vote in lying POS's , but, none has been on the level of insanity as Trump. However, I am glad that it makes you think so. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
4.1.36  Raven Wing  replied to  @4.1.34    6 years ago
I just vote democrat in every election lol

When there is no candidate that I think is worthy of my vote, I write in my Uncle's name. chuckle  

user image
Freshman Silent
4.1.37    replied to  Raven Wing @4.1.36    6 years ago

I bet your uncle is a democrat

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
4.1.39  KDMichigan  replied to  Raven Wing @4.1.31    6 years ago
what will be the downfall of both Trump and the GOP party itself

Ah yes I remember the left saying for years that the GOP was history and Hillaryious Hillary was a shoe in.

How did that work out for you?

Being as I am not a Democrat

deleted

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
4.1.40  Skrekk  replied to  @4.1.37    6 years ago
I bet your uncle is a democrat

Good people usually are.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.41  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @4.1.7    6 years ago

If it was good enough for her and her campaign, it is good enough for me.

It's just an added bonus that it seems to piss you off.

Professor Guide
4.1.42  Eat The Press Do Not Read It  replied to  KDMichigan @4.1.39    6 years ago

The WONDERFUL benefit of Trump illegally getting installed into the Whitehouse is that it is exposing how dysfunctional, corrupt and greedy the GOP has become. They are now the "GOVERNMENT OF PUTIN" (GOP).

The infestation of CORPORATE GREED, stupidity and religious bigots has now clearly been revealed. 

America has a rare opportunity this November 6th to right the ship by KICKING every damn Republican out of office and kicking their cemented asses all the way back to their impoverished States with those silly, kids caps jammed up where the sun doesn't shine.Evangelical Worship TRUMP.jpg

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.43  Texan1211  replied to  Eat The Press Do Not Read It @4.1.42    6 years ago

"Illegally installed"???

LMFAO!

Seems like we had an election. Trump won.

Sounds more like a case of sour grapes.

Professor Guide
4.1.44  Eat The Press Do Not Read It  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1    6 years ago

Bingo, that is the difference. It is like Hemingway wrote 10 bestsellers, and I wrote Hemingway's name on a blackboard once. And, all most got it right, too. That makes both of us "righters"!

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.1.45  Sparty On  replied to  Skrekk @4.1.14    6 years ago
a smart and ethical woman anyway. 

Okay I give up, who are you referring to?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.1.46  Sparty On  replied to  MrFrost @4.1.19    6 years ago
She called half of trumps supporters, (at the time, 23% of eligible voters), deplorable. 11.5% is not a "big percentage". Sorry. 

You should be sorry, making shit up after the fact.    Fact is she didn’t clarify like you are trying to do for her now.    Sad, all these months later and you’re still making excuses for her.

You could take a lesson from Lenny.    He’s spot on.    She would have won had she not done stupid things like that.    I consider the results of her actions, karma in action.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.1.47  Sparty On  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @4.1.29    6 years ago

Irrerelent in our representive republic.    There is little doubt that comments like that were enough for her to lose the Electoral College vote .... which is all that really matters in the US Presidential election.

That is THE cogent point in this regard.

user image
Freshman Silent
4.1.48    replied to  Skrekk @4.1.40    6 years ago
Good people usually are.

I admit I know some Democrats that are good people it's when it comes to politics they're not bright.

Jerry Verlinger
Freshman Silent
4.1.49  Jerry Verlinger  replied to  1ofmany @4.1.23    6 years ago
But the alternative was Hillary fucking Clinton, a woman who’s been lying and conniving her ass off .....

Lying and conniving about what? Give us some verifiable examples.

user image
Freshman Silent
4.1.50    replied to  Skrekk @4.1.14    6 years ago

I assume you mean Hillary the women that wasn't smart and ethical enough to beat the worst Presidential candidate in history. While Donald was campaigning the blue wall states Hillary was ignoring them thinking all she had to do was put her name on the ballot to win. That was an epic miscalculation by someone that was supposed to be smart.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
4.1.51  Skrekk  replied to  @4.1.50    6 years ago
While Donald was campaigning the blue wall states Hillary was ignoring them thinking all she had to do was put her name on the ballot to win.

An interesting thing about that......it seems Trump changed his strategy and his ad buys just a few days after Russia hacked the DNC's campaign analytics.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.52  Texan1211  replied to  Skrekk @4.1.51    6 years ago

So prove something instead of insinuating things.

Trump won, and many people seem unable or unwilling to accept it.

Funny thing is, I remember when leading Democrats declared that not accepting the results of an election was a threat to democracy. Too darn bad much of their base didn't listen to them.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
4.1.53  Skrekk  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.52    6 years ago
and many people seem unable or unwilling to accept it.

Agreed.    That's exactly why he lacks legitimacy.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.1.54  Sean Treacy  replied to  Skrekk @4.1.51    6 years ago

You really shouldn't peddle conspiracy theories you hear from Rachel Maddow, you only end up looking foolish.

A few minutes of googling and looking at non crazy sites for loons will demonstrate how silly it is. 

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
4.1.55  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.52    6 years ago
Trump won, and many people seem unable or unwilling to accept it.

True, however we had the same thing the last go around. Some people still dont accept Obama was "Their" president.

Personally I didn't want either of the last two candidates as MY president. 

I may be an American and trump is the president of the country at this time but he was not MY president by MY choice and I don't consider him MY president. My president I would feel comfortable defending, (At least most of the time, or I couldn't consider trump MY president) unfortunately, My president never even materialized last election. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.56  Texan1211  replied to  Skrekk @4.1.53    6 years ago

That is freaking ridiculous.

One has NOTHING to do with the other.

The ones who can't accept it are simply acting like immature brats who lost a game and want to take their game and go home.

Too freaking bad.

But in one way I rather enjoy some of the whining. I know comments like yours are sure to turn independents away. And Democrats can't count on their base to turn out in large enough numbers to win enough elections to retake the Senate and House. Thank you sincerely for that. It is almost like a replay of Abuela's "deplorables" gaffe that cost her many votes. And, since I'm not crazy, I will expect the same results.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.57  Texan1211  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @4.1.55    6 years ago

Now, that is far different than claiming Trump is an illegitimate President because you didn't like the outcome of the election.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
4.1.58  Skrekk  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.56    6 years ago
The ones who can't accept it are simply acting like immature brats who lost a game and want to take their game and go home.

Of course you're free to feel that way but it doesn't change the fact that most of the electorate voted against Trump and thus most Americans don't see him as legitimate.

It is almost like a replay of Abuela's "deplorables" gaffe that cost her many votes. And, since I'm not crazy, I will expect the same results.

So you're expecting the GOP candidate to lose the popular vote again?    I agree.

By the way I seriously doubt that a homophobe, Islamophobe, misogynist, racist or xenophobe (or any of the other traits common to the deplorable Trump base) would have voted for the Dem candidate no matter who the candidate was.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
4.1.59  arkpdx  replied to  Skrekk @4.1.58    6 years ago

So you wouldn't have seen Clinton as legitimate either since the majority of voters  voted against her also. 

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
4.1.60  Skrekk  replied to  arkpdx @4.1.59    6 years ago
So you wouldn't have seen Clinton as legitimate either since the majority of voters  voted against her also. 

She won the plurality of the votes like the winner of virtually all elections in the US.    It's very unusual for the "winner" to be 2nd or 3rd in total vote count, thus the lack of legitimacy.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.61  Texan1211  replied to  Skrekk @4.1.58    6 years ago

gee, most people would read that line "It is almost like a replay of Abuela's "deplorables" gaffe that cost her many votes. And, since I'm not crazy, I will expect the same results." and assume that "the same results" would be related to something in the sentence prior, namely "gaffe cost her many votes".

And try as you may, legitimacy has nothing to do with how many votes someone gets. And it DAMN sure has nothing to do with opinion.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.62  Texan1211  replied to  Skrekk @4.1.60    6 years ago

Gee, most people get that Trump won the EC, which is how every single President in your lifetime has been elected. That sounds pretty damn legitimate to me!

Sophomore Guide
4.1.63  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.57    6 years ago

yep, although I'm not happy with the outcome I'm actually less happy with the process.

IMO: Our political process has been corrupted by money and I see no way of fixing it.  

Neither party truly represents my concerns so I dont give either party the power of my membership. I also research every candidate for every office and vote for the one I believe represents me and my concerns the best. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.64  Texan1211  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @4.1.63    6 years ago

I don't think money is the bugaboo people think.

If money was all it takes to win, Clinton would have won easily, as she far outspent Trump.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
4.1.65  Skrekk  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.62    6 years ago
Gee, most people get that Trump won the EC, which is how every single President in your lifetime has been elected. That sounds pretty damn legitimate to me!

And yet you admitted that "many people seem unable or unwilling to accept it", so apparently you're at least dimly aware that Trump lacks legitimacy.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
4.1.66  arkpdx  replied to  Skrekk @4.1.60    6 years ago
It's very unusual for the "winner" to be 2nd or 3rd in total vote count,

It has happened at least 5 times in our history so it really isn't that unusual . 

Oh and in all 5 cases the president was legitimate. 

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
4.1.67  arkpdx  replied to  Skrekk @4.1.65    6 years ago

So my your apparent thinking, Obama was not a legitimate president because there were "many people seem unable or unwilling to accept it"  . I fact by your standard there were probably few if any "legitimate " presidents .

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
4.1.68  Skrekk  replied to  arkpdx @4.1.67    6 years ago
So my your apparent thinking, Obama was not a legitimate president because there were "many people seem unable or unwilling to accept it

In fact that's kind of the point.   While Obama had the support of a large majority of Americans there was still a substantial minority which never could accept a black President.    Those folks are the base of support for the King of the Birthers.

Old Hermit
Sophomore Silent
4.1.69  Old Hermit  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.64    6 years ago
If money was all it takes to win, Clinton would have won easily, as she far outspent Trump.

Well, to be fair, Trump did have the "bloody car wreck" advantage over Clinton so he didn't need to spend his own money to get more air time than she did since a shocked world gave him billions of dollars worth for free air time.

Donald Trump Rode $5 Billion in Free Media to the White House

Donald Trump didn't spend nearly as much on advertising as typical presidential candidates, and he didn't have to -- he relied on billions of dollars of free mentions in media ranging from major TV news networks to Buzzfeed and Twitter instead.

The real estate magnate got $4.96 billion in free earned media in the year leading up to the presidential election, according to data from tracking firm mediaQuant. He received $5.6 billion throughout the entirety of his campaign, more than Hillary Clinton, Bernie Sanders, Ted Cruz, Paul Ryan and Marco Rubio combined.

"You have Donald Trump coming along and getting all this coverage without spending a dime," said Paul Senatori, chief analytics officer at Portland-based mediaQuant.

Over the past 12 months, the president-elect received more than $800 million in free earned broadcast media, compared to $666 million for Clinton, and $2.6 billion in free earned online news attention, compared to $1.6 billion for his rival. He edged out her and other major political names in American and worldwide newspapers as well.

Free media value total: Trump = $4.96 billion vs. Clinton = $3.24 billion

I hesitate to use the term “free media”, because Donald Trump earned his media coverage. He earned it from his bombastic and insulting statements, he earned it from pulling in massive crowds to his rallies, and he earned it from winning primary after primary. Whether by design or accident, he bypassed paid advertising to bask in the attention and validation of a 24-hour news cycle.

trump-clinton-bar-charts-nov2016x650

With Donald Trump, we now have a good benchmark for what ubiquitous media coverage looks like. Compared with 2012, Trump earned more than three and a half times (3.5x) the media value of Barack Obama and more than six times (6x) that of Mitt Romney. Time will tell if Trump’s media benchmarks prove the exception or the rule.

screenshotwww.mediaquant.net20180730020503.png

Sophomore Guide
4.1.70  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.64    6 years ago
I don't think money is the bugaboo people think

Money IS the corrosion that is destroying the democracy. 

Now, politicians need so much money to spread their word (barring trump) that by time they raise that money to spread their word to get the votes, they actually end up beholden to the money handlers not the voters. And everyone of them want and need those big bucks every damn election to just keep their job.  Money is now more powerful than the actual single votes. Our power is slipping away, one dollar at a time.

I see NO fix to this. 

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
4.1.71  Dean Moriarty  replied to  Old Hermit @4.1.69    6 years ago

And the best part was it was almost all negative and the media thought they were hurting him and helping Hillary. The icing on the cake is they didn’t even learn from their mistakes and continue on the same path with their never ending smear campaign. That too will backfire on them just like it did with their propaganda against the tea party movement. They just keep shooting themselves in foot and I love it. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.72  Texan1211  replied to  Skrekk @4.1.65    6 years ago

I wish you were just dimly aware of the fact that stupid people's refusal to acknowledge our President as legitimate has no bearing on his legitimacy.

There is NO connection between stupid people's opinions and facts.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.73  Texan1211  replied to  Old Hermit @4.1.69    6 years ago

Ah.

SO now it is the press' fault Trump won.

What is that?

Reason #389 of "Why Abuela Lost"?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.74  Tessylo  replied to  Skrekk @4.1.13    6 years ago

Yeah, she said half.  it's all of them.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.75  Tessylo  replied to  XDm9mm @4.1.38    6 years ago

'Funny....  he's keeping his promises to the best of his abilities.  He's not a dictator after all, regardless of how much the leftists think he is.

Taxes....  check

Rescind Obamacare...  half check but a work in progress.  

Rebuild the military...  a work in progress but a check none the less.

Get us out of the Paris accord....  check

NOT get us in the TPP....   check

Move American Embassy to Jerusalem.....   check

Building the wall....   partial check

Of course, the members of the House and Senate who have continued the lies as they usually do are all obstructing what Trump was elected to accomplish.

Don't forget, Trump was not a politician regurgitating the same bullshit lies career politicians spew every election cycle.'

Taxes - for the most wealthy . . . check

Rescind the Affordable Health Care Act - and replace it with what?  'Who knew health care would be so hard'

Rebuild the military - how so?

Get out of the Paris Accord - bad move

Not get us in the TPP - bad move

Move American Embassy to Jerusalem - bad move

Building the wall . . .  laughing dude   He's talking about shutting down the government and having another tantrum because of the wall - half check indeed.  

I didn't know some of these were even on his 'list'

What the fuck is a half check?

Wow, what a stunning list of accomplishments.  laughing dude

Old Hermit
Sophomore Silent
4.1.76  Old Hermit  replied to  Dean Moriarty @4.1.71    6 years ago
And the best part was it was almost all negative and the media thought they were hurting him and helping Hillary . The icing on the cake is they didn’t even learn from their mistakes and continue on the same path with their never ending smear campaign.

Garbage in, Garbage out.

Did the media help Trump win? Look at the numbers
By Thomas E. Patterson Dec 07, 2016

As the 2016 presidential campaign careened toward the November balloting, Donald Trump, who was down in the polls, tweeted that the “election is being rigged by the media, in a coordinated effort with the Clinton campaign.” If that's true, journalists had a peculiar way of showing it. On topics related to the candidates' fitness for office — their policy positions, personal qualities, leadership abilities, ethical standards and the like — Hillary Clinton's coverage was identical to Trump's — 87% negative to 13% positive.

Pre-Primary News Coverage of the 2016 Presidential Race: Trump’s Rise, Sanders’ Emergence, Clinton’s Struggle

A new report from Harvard Kennedy School’s Shorenstein Center on Media, Politics and Public Policy analyzes news coverage of the 2016 presidential candidates in the year leading up to the primaries. This crucial period, labeled “the invisible primary” by political scientists, is when candidates try to lay the groundwork for a winning campaign—with media exposure often playing a make or break role.

The report shows that during the year 2015, major news outlets covered Donald Trump in a way that was unusual given his low initial polling numbers—a high volume of media coverage preceded Trump’s rise in the polls. Trump’s coverage was positive in tone—he received far more “good press” than “bad press.” The volume and tone of the coverage helped propel Trump to the top of Republican polls.

When critics have accused journalists of fueling the Trump bandwagon, members of the media have offered two denials. One is that they were in watchdog mode, that Trump’s coverage was largely negative, that the “bad news” outpaced the “good news.” The second rebuttal is that the media’s role in Trump’s ascent was the work of the cable networks—that cable was “all Trump, all the time” whereas the traditional press held back.

Neither of these claims is supported by the evidence. Figure 2 shows the news balance in Trump’s coverage during the invisible primary.

As can be seen, Trump’s coverage was favorable in all of the news outlets we studied. There were differences from one outlet to the next but the range was relatively small, from a low of 63 percent positive or neutral in The New York Times to a high of 74 percent positive or neutral in USA Today. Across all the outlets, Trump’s coverage was roughly two-to-one favorable.

screenshotshorensteincenter.org20180730081327.png

Why was Trump’s coverage so favorable? Why did the watchdog press say so many positive things about Trump’s candidacy? The reason inheres in journalists’ tendency to build their narratives around the candidates’ positions in the race . This horserace focus leads them into four storylines: a candidate is “leading,” “trailing,” “gaining ground,” or “losing ground.” Of the four storylines, the most predictably positive one is that of the “gaining ground” candidate, particularly when that candidate is emerging from the back of the pack. It’s a story of growing momentum, rising poll numbers, and ever larger crowds. The storyline invariably includes negative elements, typically around the tactics that the candidate is employing in the surge to the top. But the overall media portrayal of a “gaining ground” candidate is a positive one.

Figure 6: Month-to-Month Tone of Clinton’s Coverage

Source: Media Tenor, January 1-December 31, 2015.

Figure 7: Volume and Tone of Top Candidates’ Issue Coverage

Source: Media Tenor, January 1-December 31, 2015. Tone figures based on positive and negative statements only. Neutral statements are excluded.

Harvard study: General election media coverage 'overwhelmingly negative' in tone

The coverage of the 2016 general election was marked with overwhelming negativity, leading according to a new report from The Harvard Kennedy School’s Shorenstein Center, released Wednesday.

The study, which analyzed news reports on the main newscasts from the major cable and broadcast networks along with major daily newspapers like The New York Times and The Wall Street Journal, slammed the press for what it concluded was the "corrosive effect" of mostly negative news throughout the general election.

“Negative news has partisan consequences,” the study's author, Thomas Patterson, wrote . “Given that journalists bash both sides, it might be thought the impact would be neutral. It’s not … If everything and everyone is portrayed negatively, there’s a leveling effect that opens the door to charlatans. The press historically has helped citizens recognize the difference between the earnest politician and the pretender. Today’s news coverage blurs the distinction.”

According to the analysis, both candidates Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump “received coverage that was overwhelmingly negative in tone and extremely light on policy.” Trump was covered slightly more negatively than Clinton over the course of the general election, with coverage being 77 percent negative to 23 percent positive compared to Clinton coverage running 64 percent negative to 36 percent positive coverage. But over the course of the entire campaign, Clinton was covered more negatively than Trump, with 62 percent negative and 38 percent positive coverage compared to Trump's coverage, which was 56 percent negative and 44 percent positive.

Both candidates received equally negative coverage on coverage related to the candidates’ fitness for office, including stories about their leadership abilities, ethics, policy positions and personal qualities. Coverage for both candidates on those issues ran at about 87 percent negative to 13 percent positive. The press paid more attention to Clinton’s controversies than to Trump’s, and the tone of that coverage, which made up at least 7 percent of all Clinton coverage every week, was more than 90 percent negative.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4.1.77  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  XDm9mm @4.1.30    6 years ago

Oh my.  Do you kiss your mother with that mouth?

cjcold
Professor Quiet
4.1.78  cjcold  replied to  lennylynx @4.1.3    6 years ago

But Hillary was correct. Trump and his supporters are deplorable.

Professor Guide
4.2  Eat The Press Do Not Read It  replied to  MrFrost @4    6 years ago

Trump's thin skin is a result of being pampered all of his "Freakin' " Life.Putin Top Secret secrets.jpg

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
5  lennylynx    6 years ago

The extreme nature of Trump's unpopularity needs to be considered here.  Any president in the low 40s has lost 10-15% of the support from his own party.  Not disastrous normally, low 40s isn't all THAT bad, but those not supporting Trump do not simply think he's not quite good enough.   Every normal rational person is literally terrified about Trump being President, and most of the right wingers who don't like him will not be simply staying home, they will be voting a straight Dem ticket for the first time in their lives to put a check on the maniac in the White House.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1  Texan1211  replied to  lennylynx @5    6 years ago

I am curious why so many on the left are so focused on poll numbers for their President--like they actually mean something.

You keep focused on them there polls--I am sure doing that will win you many more seats, like they have over the last 9 years!

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
5.1.1  lennylynx  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1    6 years ago

I think an average of the reputable polls accurately represents where the electorate is at the time they are taken.  I've always been amazed by how accurate they are.  People who disparage the polls always quote what they were a week or two before the election, but undecideds often don't make up their mind until the end.  The polls were bang on for both Trump vs Hillary and Obama vs Romney.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  lennylynx @5.1.1    6 years ago

I'm talking about Trump's popularity ratings which so many on the left seem hyper-focused on. They don't mean squat.

BTW, what effect does a poll on Congressional races right now have on the races themselves?

Don't polls change weekly?

MrFrost
Professor Expert
5.1.4  MrFrost  replied to  XDm9mm @5.1.2    6 years ago
Trump vs Clinton were spot on? SERIOUSLY?

The polls were pretty accurate across the board. MOST polls had Clinton winning the POPULAR vote, which she DID win by ~3%. You DID know that the polls reflect the popular vote and not the electorate, right? 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
5.1.6  MrFrost  replied to  XDm9mm @5.1.5    6 years ago
They were proclaiming a sweeping electoral college victory.

"They"? "They" can proclaim whatever "they" want, it doesn't change the FACT that polls reflect the fucking POPULAR vote! 

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
5.1.8  1ofmany  replied to  MrFrost @5.1.6    6 years ago

Since the president isn’t elected by popular vote, then polls that track them aren’t particularly important. However unpopular Trump may be, the question is whether the majority of voters in swing states will prefer him over the alternative. Personally, I can vote for someone I don’t like if the alternative is a candidate who supports policies I don’t like. 

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
5.1.9  arkpdx  replied to  MrFrost @5.1.6    6 years ago

And your repeating the population vote nonsense does not change the fact that Clinton lost the election according to the rule and will never become president in this lifetime. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
5.1.10  MrFrost  replied to  1ofmany @5.1.8    6 years ago
Since the president isn’t elected by popular vote, then polls that track them aren’t particularly important.

This is true, it's a gauge, nothing more because there is more than one person that affects the poll. When it's a poll about a president, it has far more meaning because we only have ONE president. 

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
5.1.11  1ofmany  replied to  MrFrost @5.1.10    6 years ago
This is true, it's a gauge, nothing more because there is more than one person that affects the poll. When it's a poll about a president, it has far more meaning because we only have ONE president.

It doesn’t gauge much if the poll doesn’t reflect the electoral map. If every person in California hates Trump and votes against him, that would be an enormous number of popular votes but the state of California still only gets 55 electoral votes. 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
5.1.12  Jasper2529  replied to  MrFrost @5.1.4    6 years ago
The polls were pretty accurate across the board. MOST polls had Clinton winning the POPULAR vote, which she DID win by ~3%. You DID know that the polls reflect the popular vote and not the electorate, right? 

I can't believe that some people are still whining about Hillary's "popularity" vs. her documented  failure to WIN enough Electoral College votes !  Even the BLUE states I've lived in are RED or mostly RED!

474px-2016_Presidential_Election_by_Coun

BTW ... Trump has been the duly-elected POTUS per the US Constitution for 1 year, 190 days and counting. It's time for some folks to stop dithering about Hillary's "popular vote".

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5.1.13  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  XDm9mm @5.1.2    6 years ago

They counted on the The Electoral College to use the one brain between them to elect who the people really wanted.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
5.1.14  MrFrost  replied to  1ofmany @5.1.11    6 years ago
It doesn’t gauge much if the poll doesn’t reflect the electoral map.

No polls that I know of do that. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
5.1.15  MrFrost  replied to  Jasper2529 @5.1.12    6 years ago

I am not the one that brought Hillary up. Maybe you should talk to your cohorts that keep deflecting away from what the fucking article is about. 

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
5.1.16  KDMichigan  replied to  lennylynx @5.1.1    6 years ago
The polls were bang on for both Trump vs Hillary and Obama vs Romney.

If that is the case why are the snowflake left still crying? 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.17  Texan1211  replied to  Jasper2529 @5.1.12    6 years ago

It is, after all, all they have.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.18  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @5.1.15    6 years ago

Lenny is a right winger now?

MrFrost
Professor Expert
5.1.19  MrFrost  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1.17    6 years ago
It is, after all, all they have.

Yea, like, "well, he won, she lost, deal with it"... Right? It really is all you have. 

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
5.1.20  arkpdx  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @5.1.13    6 years ago

And that is exactly what the EC did. 

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
5.1.21  arkpdx  replied to  MrFrost @5.1.19    6 years ago

Don't really  need anymore than that. It was Clinton and the left that had to  create dozens if not hundreds of lousy excuses as to why Clinton is a two time loser who was not even good enough to beat someone like Trump  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.22  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @5.1.19    6 years ago

Much better than whining about the popular vote as if it MEANS something!!

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5.1.23  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  arkpdx @5.1.20    6 years ago

The fact that they elected someone with 3 million less popular votes proves they didn't.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
5.1.24  cjcold  replied to  arkpdx @5.1.9    6 years ago

If the election happened today, knowing what we now know about Trump, how do you think it would go?

Sophomore Guide
5.1.25  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  cjcold @5.1.24    6 years ago
If the election happened today, knowing what we now know about Trump, how do you think it would go?

Good question.

I think it would go about the same. No one I know has really changed their mind on trump yet. The real good or bad that comes from a president takes time to manifest. Time will tell. 

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
5.1.26  arkpdx  replied to  cjcold @5.1.24    6 years ago

I agree with Steve that things would go about the same. I didn't care much for Trump and I still don't. entirely but the alternative was just too horrible to contemplate. I would vote exactly the same way today as I did  then. 

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
5.1.27  arkpdx  replied to  cjcold @5.1.24    6 years ago

I agree with Steve that things would go about the same. I didn't care much for Trump and I still don't. entirely but the alternative was just too horrible to contemplate. I would vote exactly the same way today as I did  then. 

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
5.2  1ofmany  replied to  lennylynx @5    6 years ago
Every normal rational person is literally terrified about Trump being President, and most of the right wingers who don't like him will not be simply staying home, they will be voting a straight Dem ticket for the first time in their lives to put a check on the maniac in the White House.

I didn’t vote for Trump because I think he’s a dolt. However, the liberals are becoming so unhinged in their policies that I’m more afraid of them taking power than I am of Trump keeping it. Plus, I want non activist judges and I can’t get that from a Democrat. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
5.2.1  MrFrost  replied to  1ofmany @5.2    6 years ago

By, "liberals" do yo mean everyone that didn't vote for trump? If that's the case, I would study upon what a liberal is, because you are mistaken. 

The right has elevated the term, "liberal" to the point of being a (racial) slur and they use it the exact same way. 

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
5.2.2  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  1ofmany @5.2    6 years ago
Plus, I want non activist judges and I can’t get that from a Democrat. 

Well, you ain't going to get it from Trump either.

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
5.2.3  1ofmany  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @5.2.2    6 years ago
Well, you ain't going to get it from Trump either.

I already did. He nominated Gorsuch and Kavanaugh.  

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
5.2.4  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  1ofmany @5.2.3    6 years ago
He nominated Gorsuch and Kavanaugh.

Gorsuch is a conservative judge but, he is fair, however, Kavanaugh has said in the past that a sitting POTUS CAN'T BE PROSECUTED, that he is above the law as long as he is president, he has also said that he would overturn Roe v. Wade. Now, do you believe that Kavanaugh is right and, a POTUS can't be prosecuted, that he is above the law? If you do then you believe that Clinton and, Nixon were wrongly impeached by the Congress.

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
5.2.5  1ofmany  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @5.2.4    6 years ago
Kavanaugh has said in the past that a sitting POTUS CAN'T BE PROSECUTED, that he is above the law as long as he is president . . .

He said no such thing.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.2.6  Sean Treacy  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @5.2.4    6 years ago
If you do then you believe that Clinton and, Nixon were wrongly impeached by the Congress.

First, Nixon wasn't impeached. 

Second, your point makes no sense.  

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
5.2.7  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Sean Treacy @5.2.6    6 years ago

No, Nixon wasn't impeached but, he had articles of impeachment brought against him and, then he resigned in disgrace, if Ford hadn't pardoned him he would have been tried for obstruction of justice.

Second, your point makes no sense.

My point is this, Kavanaugh has stated that he doesn't think that any sitting POTUS should ever be under investigation both Nixon and, Clinton were sitting POTUS's when they were investigated, funny thing is Kavanaugh was part of Starr's legal team so, apparently he thinks it's OK to investigate a Democratic president but, not a Republican president, unless of course he came up with his current views since his time on the Starr investigation, in any case, if he is confirmed he needs to recuse himself from anything to do with the Mueller Russia probe since it involves a sitting POTUS because, of his views on investigations and, sitting POTUS's.

What Kavanaugh wrote:

You can see what Brett Kavanaugh wrote on the question here.
The article ran in the Minnesota Law Review in 2009, and it’s titled, “Separation of Powers During the Forty-Fourth Presidency and Beyond.” In the article, he argues that various controversies bogging down the Bill Clinton and George W. Bush presidencies stressed the country’s “system of separation of powers and checks and balances.”

A full detailed writing is here,

IMO, it is evident that Kavanaugh is being looked at by the Trump Administration for one thing and, one thing only, getting Trump out of hot water should Mueller indict him or, Congress try to impeach him.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
5.2.8  MrFrost  replied to  Sean Treacy @5.2.6    6 years ago

Are you seriously suggesting that he wouldn't have been? 

Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו
Junior Participates
5.2.9  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Sean Treacy @5.2.6    6 years ago

Because he agreed to resign....so, really no difference.  You think his resignation was something honorable? 

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
5.2.10  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  MrFrost @5.2.8    6 years ago
Are you seriously suggesting that he wouldn't have been? 

LOL, he might be but, everyone knows that it would just be another stupid remark from his side, even he would know that.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
5.2.11  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  1ofmany @5.2.5    6 years ago
He said no such thing.

Read the link I provided in the post below.

user image
Freshman Silent
5.2.12    replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @5.2.4    6 years ago
he has also said that he would overturn Roe v. Wade.

That's a lie Kavanaugh never said he would vote to overturn Roe.

For those on the left who insist that Kavanaugh is dangerous because he supposedly won’t follow precedent when it comes to Roe v Wade – the 1973 Supreme Court decision that legalized abortion nationwide – it seems clear that his critics haven’t read the book he co-authored on precedent.

Kavanaugh argues that precedents are particularly binding when they have been around for a long time, have had large majorities on the court, and have been the subject of a number of Supreme Court decisions. All those points surely apply to Roe v. Wade.

In addition, during his confirmation hearing to the D.C. Circuit Court in 2006, Kavanaugh promised, “I would follow Roe v Wade faithfully and fully.”

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.2.13  Sean Treacy  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @5.2.7    6 years ago
has stated that he doesn't think that any sitting POTUS should ever be under investigation

No he didn't.

arently he thinks it's OK to investigate a Democratic president but, not a Republican president,

No, he doesn't. And the essay you misread to claim Kavanaugh says a POTUS can't be   investigated was written when Barack Obama was President. 

Double Whoops!

i it is evident that Kavanaugh is being looked at by the Trump Administration for one thing and, one thing only, getting Trump out of hot water should Mueller indict him or, Congress try to impeach him

IF you actually read the paper, you'd know it says the exact opposite of what you claim.  I've posted the essay explaining that from a liberal Conlaw professor at Harvard, but that's obviously a waste of time because no one will read it. Just know that the actual experts on  the subject (liberals too),  think the argument is ridiculous. I know spouting dailykos falsehoods is the thing to do on this site, but to anyone who doesn't fall for clickbait style argument they are ridiculous.

Moreover, you don't seem to understand the difference between impeachment and criminal prosecution.  "POTUS can't be prosecuted, that he is above the law? If you do then you believe that Clinton and, Nixon were wrongly impeached by the Congress."  This statement is bizarre. Impeachment is a legislative remedy that doesn't involve Associate Judges of the Supreme Court. Kavanaugh, whatever his beliefs, will have nothing to do with the impeachment process. It's totally separate from the question of whether a sitting a President can be prosecuted (which has been the position of every DOJ, democratic or republican, for over 40 years). That a sitting president can be impeached but not criminally prosecuted is the mainstream position on the subject. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.2.14  Sean Treacy  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @5.2.10    6 years ago
ust be another stupid remark from his side, even he would know that

No, I just think you should have a basic knowledge of the facts at issue when discussing them. To claim "Nixon was impeached" demonstrates a lack of familiarity with the subject matter.  If you don't know that, how can you possibly offer an informed opinion on the differences between impeachment and the criminal process? 

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
5.2.15  KDMichigan  replied to  MrFrost @5.2.1    6 years ago
"liberal" to the point of being a (racial) slur

Are you freaking serious? Face Palm

Now Liberal is a Race to the left just like Muslim is a race....what a freaking joke.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.2.16  Sean Treacy  replied to  @5.2.12    6 years ago
hat's a lie Kavanaugh never said he would vote to overturn Roe.

You could spend weeks correcting the falsehoods the left uses in these arguments. It's exhausting. They jam pack more false information into a couple sentences then I'd believed possible. 

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
5.2.17  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Sean Treacy @5.2.13    6 years ago
No, he doesn't. And the essay you misread to claim Kavanaugh says a POTUS can't be investigated was written when Barack Obama was President.

And, that has what to do with what, whether it was written under the Obama administration or, FDR's administration it is still an opinion of this SCOTUS nominee who currently believes that a sitting POTUS shouldn't be investigated while he is POTUS because it would be too distracting, suggesting that because he is POTUS he is above the law. Do you believe that a sitting POTUS is above the law, that he can do anything he wants as POTUS? I want to know.

This statement is bizarre. Impeachment is a legislative remedy that doesn't involve Associate Judges of the Supreme Court.

It does if the question comes up as to whether or, not the POTUS can be subpoenaed by the Special Counsel or, a court of law. It does if the Special Counsel decides to refer charges against the POTUS for not answering a subpoena. 

Kavanaugh, whatever his beliefs, will have nothing to do with the impeachment process.

If he is placed on the SCOTUS it could have everything to do with it, especially if charges come down from Mueller's investigation against Trump.

It's totally separate from the question of whether a sitting a President can be prosecuted (which has been the position of every DOJ, democratic or republican, for over 40 years). That a sitting president can be impeached but not criminally prosecuted is the mainstream position on the subject. 

So, you do think that Trump could shoot someone on Fifth Avenue in New York and, nothing could be done about it? You think that he is above the law? Please answer, Yes or, No.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.2.18  Sean Treacy  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @5.2.17    6 years ago
, that has what to do with what, whether it was written under the Obama administration or, FDR's administration it is still an opinion

Because you said this , "apparently he thinks it's OK to investigate a Democratic president but, not a Republican president." When you write crazy things with no basis in reality, don't be surprised if they get corrected. 

e question comes up as to whether or, not the POTUS can be subpoenaed by the Special Counsel or, a court of law. It does if the Special Counsel decides to refer charges against the POTUS for not answering a subpoena. 

That has nothing to do with impeachment, that's a criminal law question.   Congress, not associate Judges on the Court, decides what an impeachable offense is. Impeachment and indictment are two completely separate matters, and conflating them is causing you all sorts of confusion.  

is placed on the SCOTUS it could have everything to do with it, especially if charges come down from Mueller's investigation against Trump

Again, the Supreme Court (other than the chief Justice) plays no role in an impeachment. Congress can impeach Trump  today if it wants. Or it can decide not to impeach him no matter what crimes Mueller alleges Trump  committed. Congress  can impeach and remove  Trump from office even if Mueller says no crimes were committed. Once you stop linking impeachment to indictments, you will be significantly less confused. 

Kavanugh, or Kagan or Ginsburg  have no roles to play in the impeachment process. It's as simple as that. 

So, you do think that Trump could shoot someone on Fifth Avenue in New York and, nothing could be done about it

Of course not. He'd be impeached, removed and arraigned within a week, I'd think. 

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
5.2.19  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Sean Treacy @5.2.18    6 years ago
When you write crazy things with no basis in reality, don't be surprised if they get corrected.

He worked on Ken Starr's investigation and, then worked for the Bush administration, when he worked on Ken Starr's investigation it was alright to impeach a sitting POTUS but, after he worked in Bush's administration he decided it wasn't alright to impeach a sitting POTUS or, to investigate him. Clinton is a Democrat, Bush is a Republican, DO YOU SEE THE FUCKING DIFFERENCE NOW?

That has nothing to do with impeachment, that's a criminal law question.   Congress, not associate Judges on the Court, decides what an impeachable offense is.

Let me help you with this part, even I a layman knows this isn't true, 

A US president can be impeached for committing treason, bribery, or other high crimes and misdemeanors. The House of Representatives can bring charges against a president for the above crimes. A trial of the president in the Senate then takes place. A conviction results in the removal form office of the president.

The charge of high crimes and misdemeanors covers allegations of misconduct peculiar to officials, such as perjury of oath, abuse of authority, bribery, intimidation, misuse of assets, failure to supervise, dereliction of duty, unbecoming conduct, and refusal to obey a lawful order. Offenses by officials also include ordinary crimes, but perhaps with different standards of proof and punishment than for nonofficials, on the grounds that more is expected of officials by their oaths of office.

Impeachment and indictment are two completely separate matters, and conflating them is causing you all sorts of confusion.  

Yes, they are two different things but, Mueller can come before Congress and, tell them that he fully intends to indict the president and, that he needs them to impeach him, with the way the House stands now I find it hard to believe that even if Mueller had video of Trump killing someone on Fifth Avenue that the House would file articles of impeachment which would then force Mueller to bring it before the SCOTUS for a ruling, with Kavanaugh on the court and, it already leaning toward a conservative court, I find it hard to believe that the court would rule in favor of Mueller.

Again, the Supreme Court (other than the chief Justice) plays no role in an impeachment. Congress can impeach Trump  today if it wants. Or it can decide not to impeach him no matter what crimes Mueller alleges Trump  committed. Congress  can impeach and remove  Trump from office even if Mueller says no crimes were committed.

Refer to what I put in red above.

Once you stop linking impeachment to indictments, you will be significantly less confused.

I'm not confused, what I am is angry that people like you continue to support someone that has all the earmarks of being a traitor to this country. 

Kavanugh, or Kagan or Ginsburg  have no roles to play in the impeachment process. It's as simple as that. 

Then why did it take a SCOTUS decision before to decide if a president could be subpoenaed?

Of course not. He'd be impeached, removed and arraigned within a week, I'd think.

You think so with the current Congress? Think about it.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.2.20  Sean Treacy  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @5.2.19    6 years ago

in Bush's administration he decided it wasn't alright to impeach a sitting POTUS or, to investigate him

This is fucking crazy talk. He never said anything remotely like that.  I honestly can't  fathom how a person can believe that Kavanaugh doesn't think a President can be impeached. 

Every time you want to mock conservatives for what they believe, recall that you wrote this and be humble.

Congress, not associate Judges on the Court, decides what an impeachable offense is.

The amazing thing is this even is more batshit crazy than what you wrote above. This is grammar school level  civics.  Honestly, if you think Judges on the Supreme court decide what impeachable offenses are, you are beyond hope. It's actually depresses me that an American citizen can possibly believe this. 

But since comedy is the best remedy for depression, please show what role the Rehnquist Court played in the Clinton impeachment. I'd love to see what you come up with. 

i Mueller can come before Congress and, tell them that he fully intends to indict the president and, that he needs them to impeach him

Mueller can submit a report to Congress containing his opinions about possible impeachable offenses. That's all they are, opinions.  You understand Congress is an  independent, coequal branch of government right? Mueller can't tell Congress to do anything with regards to impeachment. All he does is offer opinions that Congress can either act on, or ignore, as it chooses. 

Refer to what I put in red above.

Nothing in red contradicts what I wrote. The Supreme court plays no role in impeachment, (other than the Chief Justice). Just read the Constitution, it doesn't get any more clear than that. it gives the House  the SOLE power of impeachment and the Senate the SOLE power to try impeachments. There is no role for the Associate Judges in impeachment proceedings.

TTGA
Professor Silent
5.2.21  TTGA  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @5.2.4    6 years ago
Kavanaugh has said in the past that a sitting POTUS CAN'T BE PROSECUTED, that he is above the law as long as he is president, If you do then you believe that Clinton and, Nixon were wrongly impeached by the Congress.

Galen,

Here's where you made your mistake.  These two statements are referring to two completely different things.  Kavanaugh is absolutely correct.  A sitting President cannot be PROSECUTED for a criminal offense.  He can, however, be IMPEACHED by the House of Representatives and, if convicted by the Senate, be removed from office.  Once he is no longer a sitting President, he can be prosecuted.  Kavanaugh said nothing about impeachment; you simply took one thing that he said about prosecution, and, intentionally or unintentionally, turned it into something else, about impeachment.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.2.22  Texan1211  replied to  TTGA @5.2.21    6 years ago

Got to make it fit what they THINK instead of just being a true representation of what he actually SAID.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
5.2.23  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Sean Treacy @5.2.20    6 years ago
Congress, not associate Judges on the Court, decides what an impeachable offense is.

The amazing thing is this even is more batshit crazy than what you wrote above. This is grammar school level  civics.  Honestly, if you think Judges on the Supreme court decide what impeachable offenses are, you are beyond hope.

Ummm, Sean, what I wrote was the part about being a layman, what you seem to miss is the part that came after that, Congress deciding what is a "high crime", "treason" or, a "misdemeanor" is stated in law, if you shoot someone, that is a crime, if you get a ticket or, bribe someone, that is a misdemeanor or a crime, if you commit treason that too is a criminal act against the country and, there are laws already on the books to cover what constitutes a crime, Congress can only look at what is already on the books and, say yep, that's a crime or, nope that's not a crime, they can't say, "Well, it's a crime for a regular citizen but, not for the POTUS". If someone, even the president works to undermine the Constitution or, his oath of office or, our elections with a foreign power then that is treason, just the same as if I did any of those things. You are arguing that a POTUS is somehow above the law that Congress can say yep, that's a crime, except if the president does it.

It's actually depresses me that an American citizen can possibly believe this. 

It depresses me to see an American citizen who thinks the president is above the law.

But since comedy is the best remedy for depression, please show what role the Rehnquist Court played in the Clinton impeachment. I'd love to see what you come up with. 

Clinton and the requirements of a civil case
Paula Jones pressed a civil suit against Clinton for making unwanted sexual advances when he was governor of Arkansas. Clinton’s lawyers fought the suit from every angle they could. The question that went to the U.S. Supreme Court was whether civil suits against a sitting president had to wait until his or her term ended. A lawsuit, Clinton’s lawyers said, "could distract a president from his public duties."
Without a single dissenting vote, the court rejected every argument from Clinton’s side. Good planning, the justices concluded, could take care of anything that might interfere with Clinton’s official work.
That pragmatic approach allowed the court to sidestep the key constitutional question of "whether a court may compel the president's attendance at any specific time or place."
So what’s the significance for Trump?
If the court green-lighted a presidential interview in a civil suit such as the Jones case, it might be even more likely to do so in a criminal investigation.
"The interests of the grand jury are generally regarded as far weightier than the interests of any private civil litigant," University of Texas law professor Steve Vladeck and Benjamin Wittes at the Brookings Institution wrote in a recent blog post. "It’s hard to see how the courts could contend that the president must answer a civil complaint from Paula Jones but then contend that he need not answer a criminal investigative subpoena."
But the opposite could also happen with a criminal case. The Justice Department’s Office of Legal Counsel suggested in 2000 that the criminal aspect could actually make it less, not more, likely that a president could argue against testifying. Because there’s less on the line with a civil suit, there’s more flexibility in scheduling interviews than there would be in a criminal case.

Mueller can submit a report to Congress containing his opinions about possible impeachable offenses. That's all they are, opinions. 

So, again you are saying that Congress and, you consider the president above the law, well, why don't we just declare the other two branches of the government null and, void and, make Trump Dictator.

You understand Congress is an  independent, coequal branch of government right?

Not according to you and, others on the right, the POTUS is as good as a king or, a dictator with Trump in office.

Mueller can't tell Congress to do anything with regards to impeachment. All he does is offer opinions that Congress can either act on, or ignore, as it chooses. 

So, you're saying Congress would ignore the presidents committing a crime or, treason?

Nothing in red contradicts what I wrote. The Supreme court plays no role in impeachment, (other than the Chief Justice). Just read the Constitution, it doesn't get any more clear than that. it gives the House  the SOLE power of impeachment and the Senate the SOLE power to try impeachments. There is no role for the Associate Judges in impeachment proceedings.

I'm not talking about just impeachment here and, I haven't been, that is what you are missing, I'm saying that if it is proven that Trump committed a crime or, treason or, is called before the Grand Jury to testify and, refuses to do so, it would be up to the SCOTUS to compel him to do so and, with Kavanaugh on the court and, a Republican Congress that is kissing Trumps ass at every turn it would be impossible to get justice for the United States. So, with that in mind, do you really want Trump to become president for life and, then be a dictator and, shred the Constitution? This is where we are heading or, are you too blind to see it?

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
5.2.24  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  TTGA @5.2.21    6 years ago

Actually  that hasn't been decided yet.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
5.2.25  Sean Treacy  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @5.2.23    6 years ago
what is already on the books and, say yep, that's a crime or, nope that's not a crime

Congress has the sole power to decide what is or isn't a High Crime or misdemeanor worthy of removing Trump from office. That's not debatable. 

You are arguing that a POTUS is somehow above the law that Congress can say yep, that's a crime, except if the president does it.

I'm stating that the Constitution delegates the sole power of impeachment to Congress. It's 100% up to Congress whether any particular action is worthy of impeachment and removal. The Court plays no role in that process, and that's not debatable.  Congress absolutely had the power not to remove Bill Clinton from office for perjuring himself,  even though it's a crime for ordinary Americans.  

me to see an American citizen who thinks the president is above the law.

Show me one who said so without grossly misrepresenting or simply making up evidence of the belief. I'd like to see it. 

Not sure what you think the Jones ruling has to do with the Court's role in impeachment proceedings.  

, again you are saying that Congress and, you consider the president above the law, well, why don't we just declare the other two branches of the government null and, void and, make Trump Dictator.

No, I'm explaining how the Constitution works. Although it's amusing that you think Congress's power to remove the President makes it "null and void."  Where do you get this stuff?

ording to you and, others on the right, the POTUS is as good as a king or, a dictator with Trump in office.

Can you try and argue in good faith? No one is making that claim.  

o, you're saying Congress would ignore the presidents committing a crime or, treason?

No, I'm saying it's up to Congress and Congress alone to determine what considers an offense worthy of removal from office.  It's in the Constitution! 

not talking about just impeachment here

No, you keep conflating the two things which are not the same and arguing, falsely, that Kavanaugh would play a role in any impeachment proceeding, which he would not. 

This is how you think impeachment works:

even if Mueller had video of Trump killing someone on Fifth Avenue that the House would file articles of impeachment which would then force Mueller to bring it before the SCOTUS for a ruling, with Kavanaugh on the court and, it already leaning toward a conservative court, I find it hard to believe that the court would rule in favor of Mueller.

It's spectacularly wrong

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.2.26  Tessylo  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @5.2.4    6 years ago

'Gorsuch is a conservative judge but, he is fair,'

Gorsucks, he's not a good pick, IMHO.  He rules for the corporations over the little guy every time.  

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
5.2.27  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Tessylo @5.2.26    6 years ago
Gorsucks, he's not a good pick, IMHO.  He rules for the corporations over the little guy every time.  

Maybe, I think that Garland should have been given a chance myself and, I would have preferred someone less ultra-conservative but, at least he picked someone in Gorsuch that has experience. God that is so sad, we've come to the point were we accept someone that Trump picked simply because they have experience, not because they are good for the position.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
5.2.28  cjcold  replied to  1ofmany @5.2    6 years ago
so unhinged in their policies

Please define. Fighting against fascism is now unhinged?

Professor Guide
5.3  Eat The Press Do Not Read It  replied to  lennylynx @5    6 years ago

Make that, a "Blue Ticket," lennylynx@5, to save their bruised egos. Even the Republican thieves in Congress, you know, of whom I speak, those supper rich Multi-Millionaires REPUBLICAN, Christian, Right Wingers that got richer by the day, the longer they stayed in Congress fleeching the public, conning the rubes out there in the WHACK-WHACK land.

Whatever your politics, boys, and girls of the Corn Hole Degeneration it is time to throw the riff-raff out. Time to tell "Stupid" to STFU!

Because someone watches Fox TV Network Noise, Rush or listen to the Crazy Conspiracy Theorist, Alex Jones, does not make you politically smart.

It turns you into an angry, easily manipulated follower of the Tea Party, or, the Neo-Nazis.

It is time we stood up to these "know nothing" bullies who shout, carry weapons and never served on G-D day in the ArmedGun Owners Are Mental.jpg Services.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
5.3.1  MrFrost  replied to  Eat The Press Do Not Read It @5.3    6 years ago

I have  a neighbor that dresses like that to go to Safeway. I guess you just never know when the next civil war might break out because they ran out of avocado's. 

cjcold
Professor Quiet
5.3.2  cjcold  replied to  Eat The Press Do Not Read It @5.3    6 years ago

This liberal who owns a ranch also owns an AR-15 as well as other rifles, shotguns and pistols. Quit the NRA years ago when they got political, even though they taught me how to shoot as a young Boy Scout 50 years ago.

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
6  1ofmany    6 years ago
By, "liberals" do yo mean everyone that didn't vote for trump? If that's the case, I would study upon what a liberal is, because you are mistaken . . . 

I didn’t vote for Trump and I am not a “liberal.” As for the term being a slur, it’s the bed they made so they should be comfortable lying in it. 

Junior Participates
6.1  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  1ofmany @6    6 years ago

But shilling for republicans like that sort of blows your attempt to seem "independent."

Professor Guide
6.1.1  Eat The Press Do Not Read It  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @6.1    6 years ago

Cowardly Re-Puritans always claim to be Independent, because, for the most part, they cannot spell Republican.

"I am really not a Republican. I don't believe in locking babies in cages. I am more of an INDEPENDENT dope, that a Republican dope".

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
6.1.2  1ofmany  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @6.1    6 years ago
But shilling for republicans like that sort of blows your attempt to seem "independent."

To be clear, I’m independent of both parties and align with one or the other on each issue as I see fit. Taking a position against one side on an issue is not shilling for the other. If you think otherwise, then we can agree to disagree but, between the two of us, I’m the only one who actually knows what I think. 

Junior Participates
6.1.3  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  1ofmany @6.1.2    6 years ago
To be clear, I’m independent of both parties and align with one or the other on each issue as I see fit.

Yeah, right.  That's the standard  disclaimer for the "independent" who's clearly well to the right and maybe, maybe, who has voted for the most conservative  D in a local election twice in the last 5 elections. 

1ofmany
Sophomore Silent
6.1.4  1ofmany  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @6.1.3    6 years ago
Yeah, right.  That's the standard  disclaimer for the "independent" who's clearly well to the right and maybe, maybe, who has voted for the most conservative  D in a local election twice in the last 5 elections. 

deleted

Junior Participates
6.1.5  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  1ofmany @6.1.4    6 years ago

Q.E.D.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
6.2  cjcold  replied to  1ofmany @6    6 years ago

Proud to be a centrist gun owning liberal.

bugsy
Professor Participates
7  bugsy    6 years ago

Who cares???? After all..Obama used to COMPARE himself to Lincoln and FDR.

Difference is...two of them actually loved this country and wanted the best for it. The other??? Not so much..

MrFrost
Professor Expert
7.1  MrFrost  replied to  bugsy @7    6 years ago
Obama

Still not the president. 

bugsy
Professor Participates
7.1.1  bugsy  replied to  MrFrost @7.1    6 years ago
Still not the president. 

Thank God half this country went in a better direction after that fiasco.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
7.1.2  cjcold  replied to  bugsy @7.1.1    6 years ago

Pretty sure that Trump and my idea of God have nothing in common.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
7.2  MrFrost  replied to  bugsy @7    6 years ago
The other??? Not so much..

Childish rhetoric. No president would put up with the BS that office carries if they didn't care about the USA, that goes for the current disaster we have in the WH, too. 

bugsy
Professor Participates
7.2.1  bugsy  replied to  MrFrost @7.2    6 years ago
that goes for the current disaster we have in the WH, too. 

Sorry, Obama left almost 2 years ago, but, yeah, he was a disaster. Glad you agree.

Junior Participates
7.2.2  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  bugsy @7.2.1    6 years ago
Sorry, Obama left almost 2 years ago, but, yeah, he was a disaster.

Only if the definition of "disaster" is not a single scandal (cue the myriad invented rightwing ones which are sure to follow this comment), allowing millions of people who couldn't afford health insurance to finally get it, dragging us out of the second worst (by a hair) recession in our history and re-establishing the U.S.'s leadership and dignity in the world after the Bush/Cheney Catastrophe.  In other word, the rightwingers definition of "disaster" which comes from their famous upside-down, inside-out, backwards dictionary.  

Professor Guide
8  Eat The Press Do Not Read It    6 years ago

41% is FAKE PERCENTAGES. FAKE, FAKE FAKE! Pass it on. Are you aware that some of these polls are taken with less than a 1000 people?  How scientific is that?

Find the dirtiest, nasty, toughest bar in any city and you will find the hang out of toothless Trump Supporters ready to pick a fight because they do not have jobs, front teeth and would rather go to jail to get something to eat than return to their hotel home with their wife and 18 children.Jim Jones Bodies.jpg These were followers, too.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
8.1  MrFrost  replied to  Eat The Press Do Not Read It @8    6 years ago

That poor lady put on her nice blue slacks and shit all over them.. 

Professor Guide
9  Eat The Press Do Not Read It    6 years ago

Bingo, that is the difference. It is like Hemingway wrote 10 bestsellers, and I wrote Hemingway's name on a blackboard once. And, all most got it right, too. That makes both of us "righters"!

MrFrost
Professor Expert
10  MrFrost    6 years ago

IMG_20171129_125557.jpg

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
11  author  JohnRussell    6 years ago
Tweet from The Rude Pundit
Wait, people really are upset that the Obamas went to a Beyonce/Jay-Z concert? Oh, just fuck off. Trump had fuckin' Ted Nugent in the Oval Office.

freepress
Freshman Silent
12  freepress    6 years ago

I really do think that the man is off his rocker. His family lets him live a fantasy and goes along without getting him any help because they don't want to be disinherited.

When I look at the actual videos and there are many, many recorded instances of his strange behavior that can only be attributed to early dementia, I wonder why the press doesn't assemble and present all of these instances in a collective manner to drive home how unfit he is for office.

His wandering and confusion in Israel with Trump's inability to understand that Israel is actually in the Middle East, his wandering off the plane where he was so confused he did not see the car in front of him then wandered away until security grabbed him and point him toward the car, his rambling and incoherence recorded in many speeches, his rambling and incoherence in writing tweets, the videos of him in meetings where he has a compulsive weird moving objects around for no reason, his meeting with business leaders who were expected to allow Trump to walk down the aisle and hear each one praise him with his daughter following behind cueing the attendees to clap for her Dad. 

Trump has constantly lied to allow him to create his own fantasy and expects everyone else to live in his created fantasy, whether it's his Abe Lincoln reference or the many, many times he has repeated lies about the votes, the inaugural crowd, his popularity, his absent achievements and the list is a long one of fantastical false claims.

The evidence is truly overwhelming that he has some serious mental issues probably due to his age and may be dementia, his family and Republicans ignore the actual evidence.

How can anyone let this man suffer, how his family can let him suffer, I believe it will come out. It will because the sundowning effect from his disease cannot hide forever, he cannot last another 2 years, let alone 4. 

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
12.1  Skrekk  replied to  freepress @12    6 years ago
When I look at the actual videos and there are many, many recorded instances of his strange behavior that can only be attributed to early dementia

Not just early dementia......Trump is a petulant sociopath with early dementia.    It's a very bad combination.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
12.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  Skrekk @12.1    6 years ago

I just LOVE it when all the faux doctors decide what is wrong with people without ever having even met them!

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
12.1.2  Skrekk  replied to  Texan1211 @12.1.1    6 years ago

The real doctors also think Trump is a sociopath, but one doesn't need to be a psychiatrist to see that Trump suffers from a variety of mentally illnesses and has become much less coherent than he was just a decade ago.

bugsy
Professor Participates
12.1.3  bugsy  replied to  Skrekk @12.1.2    6 years ago

Yes, because every one of those "doctors" have put hands on the President and conducted the necessary tests to determine a diagnosis. s/

I bet you believe everything on the internet must be true, especially if a lib posts it.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
12.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  Skrekk @12.1.2    6 years ago

No reputable doctor would ever give a diagnosis of a patient they have never seen.

Psychiatrists are not allowed to offer their opinion on ...
www.businessinsider.com/does-trump-have-a-psychiatric-diagnosis...

It's also "intellectually dishonest for a mental health professional — or any physician — to give a diagnosis without examining the patient," as the psychiatrist Richard A. Friedman argued in The New York Times. And such armchair diagnoses could be used as "a political weapon to denigrate an opponent," he added.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
12.1.5  Skrekk  replied to  Texan1211 @12.1.4    6 years ago
It's also "intellectually dishonest for a mental health professional — or any physician — to give a diagnosis without examining the patient," as the psychiatrist Richard A. Friedman argued in The New York Times.

That's one view anyway.   The contrasting view is that mental health professionals have an obligation to speak out in cases like Trump's where his obvious mental illnesses pose a serious threat to national security and our democracy.    In fact many highly respected mental health professionals are now saying that the "Goldwater rule" is misguided and should be repealed or revised given that it prevents APA members from speaking out in such cases despite the fact that their expertise and observations about Trump's odd behavior would be particularly relevant.

Heck....even a former president of the APA who defends the Goldwater rule, Dr. Jeffrey Lieberman, said that Trump shows signs of incipient dementia and possibly a personality disorder.....and he faced no sanctions for those statements.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
12.1.6  Texan1211  replied to  Skrekk @12.1.5    6 years ago

Well, you go right ahead believing in conjecture and guesswork. while I am more comfortable with fact.

Junior Participates
12.1.7  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  bugsy @12.1.3    6 years ago

More like quack Ronny Jackson (a.k.a. "Candy Man" for dispensing all sorts of psychotropic drugs on request) allowed Scumbag to take the mental function test he requested (which is available online and which Scumbag obviously practiced before what was laughingly called his "physical").  It's almost a certainty that the topic of Jackson being nominated to be Surgeon General came up before that exam along with the clear message of how the results would be reported to the public--à la "Dr." Bornstein's famously non-medical assessment that: 

"I can state unequivocally, will be the healthiest individual ever elected to the presidency.”

To absolutely no one's surprise, Bornstein later admitted:

“He dictated that whole letter. I didn’t write that letter.”

In that same article Bornstein revealed that in 2017 Scumbag's thug (Keith Schiller) and a couple of other goons "raided" his office and removed all of Scumbag's medical records.  Apparently, the trigger for that is Bornstein's public comment that he'd been prescribing the hair growth drug, Propecia, for Scumbag for years.  The ever reliable lie enabler, Huckabee-Sanders claimed this was just the standard transfer of a president's medical records to the WH Medical Unit.  Yeah, any time we want to transfer our records from one doctor to another the proper procedure is to hire a couple of mopes to walk into the former's office and ransack the place.  

cjcold
Professor Quiet
12.1.8  cjcold  replied to  Texan1211 @12.1.1    6 years ago

But the MSM allows us to meet everybody. Trump, I have met way too many times. No wonder he hates MSM.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
12.1.9  Texan1211  replied to  cjcold @12.1.8    6 years ago

That is laughable.

Just because you have heard of someone has nothing to do with KNOWING someone.

I am sure you have heard of Oprah, but probably have never met her. Do you KNOW her, too?

cjcold
Professor Quiet
12.1.10  cjcold  replied to  Texan1211 @12.1.9    6 years ago

I actually do know Trump and wish I could hate him. (he's kind of a nice guy in a private setting).

cjcold
Professor Quiet
12.1.11  cjcold  replied to  Texan1211 @12.1.9    6 years ago

Never met Oprah but I hear she is nice.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
12.1.12  cjcold  replied to  cjcold @12.1.11    6 years ago

Dad used to work for Brownback and I didn't much care for him.  He seemed evil.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
12.1.13  cjcold  replied to  cjcold @12.1.12    6 years ago

The KBI asked me to stop going around armed.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
13  author  JohnRussell    6 years ago

0116mikepence.jpg

Junior Participates
13.1  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  JohnRussell @13    6 years ago

Don't get comfy, Mikey.