╌>

74 people shot, 11 fatally, in Chicago over the weekend

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  badfish-hd-h-u  •  6 years ago  •  146 comments

74 people shot, 11 fatally, in Chicago over the weekend

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

ctweekendviolencecrimeshootingsphotos20180805.jpg

At least 74 people were shot in one of the most violent weekends of the year in Chicago, spurred by a 7-hour period early Sunday morning when 40 people were shot.

Between 3 p.m. Friday and 6 a.m. Monday morning, 11 people were killed and 63 were wounded, according to Tribune data. Their ages spanned from 11 to 62 years old, and most of those shot were attacked on the South and West sides.

As of Friday, at least 1,700 people have been shot in the city this year, fewer than the last two years at this time when violence hit record levels in the city but well above other recent years. There have been at least 300 homicides, according to Tribune data.

Six of the shootings this weekend injured four or more people in a single attack, racking up 31 victims early Sunday.

The staggering numbers attracted national media attention and resulted in a press conference Sunday morning during which   Chicago police   chief of patrol Fred Waller blamed the violence on gang members who shoot into summer crowds at night.

“They take advantage of that opportunity and they shoot into a crowd, no matter who they hit,” Waller said.

Over the weekend, shooters targeted large groups at a block party, a funeral and other outdoor gatherings.

The largest attack wounded eight people in the South Side’s Gresham neighborhood around 12:40 a.m. Monday, including a 14-year-old girl and two 17-year-old girls.

Two 17-year-olds shot in separate incidents were the weekend’s youngest homicide victims.

READ: In less than 7 hours, 40 shot, 4 fatally as violence rips Chicago »

Jahnae Patterson was killed in an attack in the West Side’s Lawndale neighborhood that wounded another five people around 2:35 a.m. Sunday, including an 11-year-old boy. She was shot in the face and pronounced dead on scene, police said.

Kenny Ivory was shot and killed while he rode his bike on the South Side on Sunday afternoon, police said. He was on his bike around 4:15 p.m. in the 7600 block of South Union Avenue in the Gresham neighborhood when he got into an argument with other males on bikes, police said.

Tribune reporters Hannah Leone, Morgan Greene, Elyssa Cherney and Will Lee contributed.

READ MORE: 17-year-old boy killed on bike among 6 shot since Sunday afternoon »

DATA: The Tribune crime team tracks shooting victims in Chicago »

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Rmando
Sophomore Silent
2  Rmando    6 years ago

Let me guess the response from the liberal politicians- "It's the fault of the all guns!"

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2.1  MrFrost  replied to  Rmando @2    6 years ago
Let me guess the response from the liberal politicians- "It's the fault of the all guns!"

"More guns keep us safe!!!!"

--- The GOP

How is that working in Chicago? FAIL.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
2.1.1  Ronin2  replied to  MrFrost @2.1    6 years ago

You mean Chicago with the strictest gun laws in the US?  How is that working out?

Even with tighter gun laws the violence in Chicago will not drop until the gangs are no more. They don't purchase guns legally; and will not obey any law the Dems can come up with.  

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2.1.2  MrFrost  replied to  Ronin2 @2.1.1    6 years ago

But more guns keep us safe....Chicago clearly has lots of guns. So what's the problem?

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
2.1.5  Spikegary  replied to  MrFrost @2.1.2    6 years ago

The problem is that gun control laws obviously don't work, obvious to anyone with the ability to reason, but again, Jesse's first go to is 'stricter gun control' instead of addressing the root causes.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1.6  It Is ME  replied to  MrFrost @2.1.2    6 years ago
But more guns keep us safe....Chicago clearly has lots of guns.

1 bad.jpg 2 bad.jpg

Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו
Junior Participates
2.1.7  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Ronin2 @2.1.1    6 years ago
You mean Chicago with the strictest gun laws in the US? 

Not after the NRA succeeded in getting it thrown out:

It's really way past time to stop lying and using the body count there as some kind of way of justifying those lies.  It's ghoulish. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.8  Texan1211  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @2.1.7    6 years ago

Perhaps Chicago's "leaders" should hire more competent attorneys before passing any MORE unconstitutional laws.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.9  Texan1211  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @2.1.7    6 years ago

"Not after the NRA succeeded in getting it thrown out".

Why, the NERVE of those NRA bastards!!

How fucking DARE they expect laws to be Constitutional!!

LMFAO!

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
2.1.10  SteevieGee  replied to    6 years ago

Those gang bangers and other assorted crooks have second amendment rights too.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
2.1.11  dave-2693993  replied to  SteevieGee @2.1.10    6 years ago

This is the type of argument that hurts the conversation.

In reality, unless they have a clean record, no they don't.

Clean record/gang banger? Not good odds for 2nd Amendment rights.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
2.1.12  SteevieGee  replied to  dave-2693993 @2.1.11    6 years ago

Where, in the second amendment, does it say anything about a clean record?

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
2.1.14  SteevieGee  replied to  XDm9mm @2.1.13    6 years ago

I'm aware of the laws restricting gun ownership for felons.  I'm just wondering why the NRA isn't standing up for the rights of these potential protectors of society.  More guns = more safety right?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.15  Texan1211  replied to  SteevieGee @2.1.14    6 years ago

So you are mad that the NRA supports Constitutional rights?

user image
Freshman Silent
2.1.16    replied to  SteevieGee @2.1.14    6 years ago
More guns

E.A   Question::

Since when have " Guns " being fitted with AI, and can I have a URL/Link to that thanks!

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
2.1.17  dave-2693993  replied to  SteevieGee @2.1.12    6 years ago
Where, in the second amendment, does it say anything about a clean record?

I would address your question, however, based on these two statements of yours:

2.1.10 SteevieGee replied to  WallyW @ 2.1.3   3 days ago

Those gang bangers and other assorted crooks have second amendment rights too.

and

2.1.14   SteevieGee   replied to  XDm9mm @ 2.1.13     28 minutes ago

I'm aware of the laws restricting gun ownership for felons.

It is obvious you just want to trilfe with somebody.

Sorry, wrong person. I don't waste time on BS like that.

user image
Freshman Silent
2.1.18    replied to  dave-2693993 @2.1.17    6 years ago
Sorry, wrong person. I don't waste time on BS like that

thumbs up

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
2.1.19  SteevieGee  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.15    6 years ago

The NRA doesn't seem to be too concerned with the Constitutional rights of black people.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
2.1.20  SteevieGee  replied to  dave-2693993 @2.1.17    6 years ago

And yet...  Here you are.  Still not answering my question.

Junior Participates
2.3  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Rmando @2    6 years ago

And, of course, the standard response from gun freaks:  IT'S NEVER ABOUT GUNS; LEAVE THOSE INNOCENT, BENEVOLENT GUNS ALOOOOOOOOONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AND DON'T EVER MENTION THAT MOST OF THE GUNS USED IN THESE INNER CITY MURDERS WERE STOLEN FROM THE HOUSES OF RESPONSIBLE GUN OWNERS!

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
2.3.2  livefreeordie  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @2.3    6 years ago

You are spouting another myth of the anti gun rights left.  It’s just not true

“Criminals are far more likely to acquire guns from family and acquaintances than by theft, according to new studies by researchers at Duke University and the University of Chicago.“There are a number of myths about how criminals get their guns, such as most of them are stolen or come from dirty dealers. We didn’t find that to be the case,” said Philip J. Cook, a professor of public policy, economics and sociology at Duke’s Sanford School of Public Policy. One study asked inmates of the Cook County Jail in Chicago how they obtained guns, while a second project analyzed data that traced guns used in crimes. The gun trace requests were submitted to the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) by the Chicago Police Department from 2009 to 2013.  Key findings from the studies include: -- 60 percent of the respondents obtained guns by purchase or trade.-- Most offenders obtained guns from personal connections, not from gun stores or by theft.-- Most of the guns were old (11 years old on average), and criminals held onto the guns a short time, frequently less than a year.”

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  JohnRussell    6 years ago

Chicago's gun control laws have nothing to do with what happens. The vast majority of gun shootings are drive by or from ambush, in which case it is irrelevant whether or not the victims were, or could have been armed themselves. 

It is true that if it were less easy for gang members to acquire guns it might prevent some of this. 

I looked up Chicago's murder rate the other day , and it was 19 per 100,000 population. That is high compared to most cities, but it is not historically high for either Chicago or the nation. There are many other US cities that have recently had or now have a murder rate that high. 

Iamak47
Freshman Silent
3.3  Iamak47  replied to  JohnRussell @3    6 years ago
I looked up Chicago's murder rate the other day , and it was 19 per 100,000 population. 

Do do some studying on some of the individual neighborhoods.  For instance, Garfield Park, with just over 20k residents has suffered 29 murders this year and nearly 200 shootings.  

These people are living in a war zone.  

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
5  Jasper2529    6 years ago

Chicago's stats:

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
7  Colour Me Free    6 years ago
At least 74 people were shot in one of the most violent weekends of the year in Chicago, spurred by a 7-hour period early Sunday morning when 40 people were shot.

Six of the shootings this weekend injured four or more people in a single attack, racking up 31 victims early Sunday.

Over the weekend, shooters targeted large groups at a block party, a funeral and other outdoor gatherings.

What is the fight about, is there even a cause being defended?  NOPE! .... just shooting up people gathered together... 

My condolences to the families of the victims - may everyone have a speedy recovery.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
7.1  Jasper2529  replied to  Colour Me Free @7    6 years ago
just shooting up people gathered together... 

Shooting innocent people seems to be a "fun" activity for thugs.

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
7.1.1  Colour Me Free  replied to  Jasper2529 @7.1    6 years ago

Sad, but it must be true .. why else would they target where innocent people are gatherings …. ?

MrFrost
Professor Expert
8  MrFrost    6 years ago

Trump is really doing a bang up job keeping America safe. What next, he tells the TSA to stop screening for planes that carry 60 passengers or less? Oh wait, he already did that. 

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
8.1  Colour Me Free  replied to  MrFrost @8    6 years ago
Trump is really doing a bang up job keeping America safe

You are so funny some times .. : )  This article is about Chicago [any big cities name] and this past weekend violence .. do not think it has much to do with politics or the TSA  : )

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
8.1.1  Colour Me Free  replied to  Colour Me Free @8.1    6 years ago

My bad MrFrost 

Not my place to tell you to state on topic … and my comment was rude -  I did not get back here fast enough to delete..

MrFrost
Professor Expert
8.1.2  MrFrost  replied to  Colour Me Free @8.1    6 years ago
You are so funny some times .. : )  This article is about Chicago [any big cities name] and this past weekend violence .. do not think it has much to do with politics or the TSA  : )

It's what I was posting about. I figured the right is STILL blaming Obama for it, time to start blaming the CURRENT POTUS for the same thing. Seems fair and appropriate to me. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
8.1.3  MrFrost  replied to  Colour Me Free @8.1.1    6 years ago

All good, you don't have a mean bone in your body, no harm done. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
10  Buzz of the Orient    6 years ago

I'm glad that the only time I ever was in Chicago was more than six decades ago.  Even if I ever get back to the USA I'll know to never go there again.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
10.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @10    6 years ago

Buzz , 50 million outsiders visit Chicago per year. I am quite sure that most of them enjoy the experience. 

Chicago is a great city. Don't be afraid. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
10.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell @10.1    6 years ago

With what's been happening in Toronto lately, I don't even want to go back there.  I feel a hell of a lot safer where I am. 

Junior Participates
10.2  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @10    6 years ago
Even if I ever get back to the USA I'll know to never go there again.

deleted

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
10.2.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @10.2    6 years ago

IMO those who thumb-up a comment that is a penalized CoC violation deserve to earn the same CoC penalty.  They are just as culpable notwithstanding their hiding behind an offender.

Junior Participates
11  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו    6 years ago

One of the most sickening things rightwingers do (and there a myriads of them) is pretend they care about who's getting killed in the inner cities when they obviously don't care when a bunch of high schoolers and their teachers get mowed down.  The only reason this keeps getting brought up is good ol' rightwing racism.  It's just another way they like to feed on the corpses of black people in this country. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
11.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @11    6 years ago

Not a bad argument. 

Junior Participates
11.1.1  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  JohnRussell @11.1    6 years ago

deleted

Texan1211
Professor Principal
11.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @11.1.1    6 years ago

Yeah, I bet they love that almost as much as any conservative black loves being called an Uncle Tom by liberals!

Junior Participates
11.1.3  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Texan1211 @11.1.2    6 years ago
Yeah, I bet they love that almost as much as any conservative black loves being called an Uncle Tom by liberals!

You seem to be the only one using that description.  Oh, nicely played laughing dude

Texan1211
Professor Principal
11.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @11.1.3    6 years ago

Then you really need to pay closer attention to what you read.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
11.2  1stwarrior  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @11    6 years ago

74 being killed in one week-end is almost the total of all high school students getting killed in 2018.

Where's YOUR outrage???

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
11.2.1  1stwarrior  replied to  1stwarrior @11.2    6 years ago

Big oops here - should have said 75 shot, 13 dead (Chicago Tribune).

Mea Culpa

Junior Participates
11.2.2  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  1stwarrior @11.2    6 years ago

You seem to be revelling in the slaughter.  Why would that be?  And since you brought up the murders at schools where was your outrage?  

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
11.2.3  1stwarrior  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @11.2.2    6 years ago

Are you attempting to be a psychologist?

Unless you actually know someone else, it really isn't wise to try to put them down 'cause it serves no purpose other than showing your distain for others.

Junior Participates
11.2.4  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  1stwarrior @11.2.3    6 years ago
Unless you actually know someone else, it really isn't wise to try to put them down 'cause it serves no purpose other than showing your distain for others.

Gotta love rightwing pontificating about what's "wise" and "showing disdain for others."  It's such a textbook example of hypocrisy and sanctimony.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
11.2.5  Texan1211  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @11.2.4    6 years ago
It's not surprising, then, they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations. Barack Obama
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/barack_obama_409149

On Blacks
(Affect(ing) a black accent to recount San Francisco mayor Willie Brown asking) “Who is this “Emily List? She’s supportin’ all these people. She’s supportin’ Sen. Dianne Feinstein. She’s supported Sen. Barbara Boxer….She supported everybody. Why won’t she support me?” — Hillary Clinton. Source:: John Broder: of the LA Times
“Some junior high n*gger kicked Steve’s ass while he was trying to help his brothers out; junior high or sophomore in high school. Whatever it was, Steve had the n*gger down. However it was, it was Steve’s fault. He had the n*gger down, he let him up. The n*gger blindsided him.” — Roger Clinton, the President’s brother on audiotape
“You’d find these potentates from down in Africa, you know, rather than eating each other, they’d just come up and get a good square meal in Geneva.” — Fritz Hollings (D, S.C.)
“Is you their black-haired answer-mammy who be smart? Does they like how you shine their shoes, Condoleezza? Or the way you wash and park the whitey’s cars?” — Song from the show of left-wing radio host Neil Rogers
Blacks and Hispanics are “too busy eating watermelons and tacos” to learn how to read and write.” — Mike Wallace, CBS News. Source:: Newsmax

“I’ll have those n*ggers voting Democratic for the next 200 years.” — Lyndon B. Johnson to two governors on Air Force One according Ronald Kessler’s Book, “Inside The White House”

“You f*cking Jew b@stard.” — Hillary Clinton to political operative Paul Fray. This was revealed in “State of a Union: Inside the Complex Marriage of Bill and Hillary Clinton” and has been verified by Paul Fray and three witnesses.
“The Jews don’t like Farrakhan, so they call me Hitler. Well, that’s a good name. Hitler was a very great man. He rose Germany up from the ashes.” — Louis Farrakhan (1984) who campaigned for congresswoman Cynthia McKinney in 2002
“Now that nation called Israel, never has had any peace in forty years and she will never have any peace because there can never be any peace structured on injustice, thievery, lying and deceit and using the name of God to shield your dirty religion under his holy and righteous name.” — Louis Farrakhan who campaigned for congresswoman Cynthia McKinney in 2002, 1984
‘Hymies.’ ‘Hymietown.’ — Jesse Jackson’s description of New York City while on the 1984 presidential campaign trail.
“Jews ‘ that’s J-E-W-S.” — Democratic state representative Bill McKinney on why his daughter Cynthia lost in 2002
On Whites
“I want to go up to the closest white person and say: ‘You can’t understand this, it’s a black thing’ and then slap him, just for my mental health.” — Charles Barron, a New York city councilman at a reparations rally, 2002
“Civil rights laws were not passed to protect the rights of white men and do not apply to them.” — Mary Frances Berry, Chairwoman, US Commission on Civil Rights
(I) “will not let the white boys win in this election.” — Donna Brazile, Al Gore’s Campaign Manager on the 2000 election
“The old white boys got taken fair and square.” — San Francisco Mayor Willie Brown after winning an election
“There are white n*ggers. I’ve seen a lot of white n*ggers in my time.” — Former Klansman and Current US Senator Robert Byrd, a man who is referred to by many Democrats as the “conscience of the Senate” in March of 2001
“The Medicaid system must have been developed by a white male slave owner. It pays for you to be pregnant and have a baby, but it won’t pay for much family planning.” — Jocelyn Elders
The white man is our mortal enemy, and we cannot accept him. I will fight to see that vicious beast go down into the lake of fire prepared for him from the beginning, that he never rise again to give any innocent black man, woman or child the hell that he has delighted in pouring on us for 400 years.” — Louis Farrakhan who campaigned for congresswoman Cynthia McKinney in 2002, City College audience in New York
“There’s no great, white bigot; there’s just about 200 million little white bigots out there.” — USA Today columnist Julienne Malveaux
“We have lost to the white racist press and to the racist reactionary Jewish misleaders.” — Former Rep. Gus Savage (D-Illinois) after his defeat 1992
“White folks was in caves while we was building empires… We taught philosophy and astrology and mathematics before Socrates and them Greek homos ever got around to it.” — Rev. Al Sharpton in a 1994 speech at Kean College, NJ, cited in “Democrats Do the Dumbest Things
“The white race is the cancer of human history.” — Susan Sontag
“Reparations are a really good way for white people to admit they’re wrong.” — Zack Webb, University Of Kentucky NAACP

Texan1211
Professor Principal
12  Texan1211    6 years ago

Gee, I wonder when Emmanuel wlil hire competent attorneys so Chicago will stop passing unconstitutional laws?

Junior Participates
12.1  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Texan1211 @12    6 years ago

One of the most hilarious and entertaining things about discussion boards like this is when rightwingers pretend they know anything about the Constitution.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
12.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @12.1    6 years ago

Don't you have to be somewhere, complaining about how the NRA got unconstitutional laws thrown out?

Junior Participates
12.1.2  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Texan1211 @12.1.1    6 years ago
Don't you have to be somewhere, complaining about how the NRA got unconstitutional laws thrown out?

How nice that the NRA makes sure that Chicago is flooded with guns so the rightwing ghouls can revel in the carnage. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
12.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @12.1.2    6 years ago

NRA did no such thing.

NRA doesn't sell any guns.

pay attention.

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
12.1.4  Colour Me Free  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @12.1.2    6 years ago

That is akin to saying that climate change is Al Gore's fault and that he alone invented the internet...

Junior Participates
12.1.5  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Texan1211 @12.1.3    6 years ago
NRA doesn't sell any guns.

Never alleged.  Deflect much?  

Junior Participates
12.1.6  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Colour Me Free @12.1.4    6 years ago

Only if "akin" in your dictionary means "total different."

Texan1211
Professor Principal
12.1.8  Texan1211  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @12.1.5    6 years ago

You said the NRA made sure that Chicago was flooded with guns. If the NRA doesn't sell guns (they don't) and don't distribute guns (they don't) it is ludicrous to say the NRA is in any way responsible for Chicago guns and gun deaths.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
12.1.9  Texan1211  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @12.1.6    6 years ago

If you get it, you get it.

When you don't, you don't.

Not my circus, not my monkey!

Junior Participates
12.1.11  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Texan1211 @12.1.9    6 years ago
Not my circus, not my monkey!

That is one of the most idiotic and weak ways of retreating from a discussion there is.  

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
13  1stwarrior    6 years ago

rham.jpg

charger 383
Professor Silent
14  charger 383    6 years ago

Overpopulation and overcrowding make all problems worse

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
15  Sean Treacy    6 years ago

74 people shot zero arrests.

residents should spend less time protesting laws and start protesting the neighbors who keep quiet and allow child killers to roam unpunished. 

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
16  Dean Moriarty    6 years ago

They are definitely following in Detroit's footsteps. The good news is after enough of these knuckleheads kill each other off and the good people flee the city for safe neighborhoods the population will drop and the number of killings will drop. 

freepress
Freshman Silent
17  freepress    6 years ago

Trump failing again, he said on the campaign trail that he was going to "stop the carnage". Where is the NRA calling for more guns? They love to use Chicago as a punch line but no Republican stands up to help or provide any solutions or money to the state to add whatever programs are necessary to help any community or to aid the police.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
17.1  Texan1211  replied to  freepress @17    6 years ago

Chicago is firmly in Democratic control and has been for DECADES. Let Democrats solve the problems they were elected to solve and stop whining about the NRA and the GOP.

SMMFH