╌>

The Empty Chair

Category:  News & Politics

By:  vic-eldred  •  6 years ago  •  138 comments

The Empty Chair

Image result for picture of john mccain

John McCain is the senior Senator from Arizona. First elected to the United States Senate in 1986, replacing the retiring Conservative Senator Barry Goldwater, McCain has had an illustrious political career to match his distinguished military career as a US Navy pilot (surviving the incident aboard the USS Forrestal and later capture by the North Vietnamese). An early proponent for both the military and Native Americans, he initially served on the Armed Services Committee and the Indian Affairs Committee. A lifelong gambler, (I always identified with him) he helped craft the Indian Gaming Regulatory Act. Over the years he has reached across the aisle to work with democrats on issues ranging from veterans/military affairs to campaign finance reform. He can best be described as a moderate and on occasion a man of high principle, best exemplified with his disastrous 2008 Presidential campaign, when he refused to challenge his opponent Barak Obama on Obama's affiliations with such radicals as the Rev Wright & Bill Ayers. He also accepted Public Campaign Financing and it's rules while Obama opted right out of it. Finally, in October came the infamous financial/housing crisis which sealed the fates of both McCain and Obama.

Some may have forgotten that McCain was a staunch opponent of then President Obama on a range of issues. Most notably would be Obamacare both for it's cost and effects as well as how the legislation was rammed through Congress. In 2016, as McCain ran for a sixth Senate term his main message was the repeal & replacement of Obamacare. He ran on it. He was elected on it. It was the mantra of many congressional Republicans.
However, a strange thing happened that very same year. McCain (and it was McCain who started the feud) went out of his way to call a group of then candidate Trump supporters " crazies ". Trump responded by saying "he insulted me and everybody in that room ". When a reporter, obviously out to bait Trump, said "but he's a war hero", Trump relied "why, because he was captured?", "I like the ones who don't get captured'.  With the election of Trump to the White House in November of 2016, congressional Republicans finally had their chance to "repeal & replace" Obamacare. However, there was a huge fly in the ointment. Since Obamacare had become law, many of the constituents of these very same lawmakers had been getting free medical coverage under Obamacare and with congressional democrats 100% unified in preserving it, Republicans would have to battle each other and hopefully find the votes to make the changes. After wasting Trump's first legislative year on trying to "repeal & replace" Obamacare it all came down to one vote in the US Senate - that would be John McCain's. As the President frequently refers to it, "One Senator turned his thumb down at 2:AM"  and it was thus that Obamacare survived.

I will let others judge if McCain cast his vote on principle or resentment for the new President. What is clear is that McCain voted against what he ran on.

Later the President's hard fought for "Tax Cut Act" would come up for a vote in the US Senate. Again democrats were unified in resistance. Every Republican vote was needed. The Vice President had to cast the deciding vote because John McCain was not there! You see there is this rule in the US Senate - you have to be there to vote. John McCain did have a valid reason for not being there. He was battling brain cancer. Fighting for his life. The problem is John McCain hasn't been in the Senate chambers since late last year. That leads one to the obvious question: Why hasn't he stepped down?  
If John McCain cannot vote in the Senate he is doing a disservice to the people of Arizona, who elected him. He surely knows that. 

Again, I leave it to others to judge John McCain.

Iv'e already concluded that he put his hatred of Trump above his love for America.

Article is LOCKED by author/seeder
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  author  Vic Eldred    6 years ago

Unfortunately, the legacy of John McCain will be that nobody has done more to counter the GOP in 2017 - 2018 than John McCain.

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
1.1  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Vic Eldred @1    6 years ago
the legacy of John McCain will be that nobody has done more to counter the GOP in 2017 - 2018 than John McCain.

I'd imaging as history unfolds Senator Mccain will be remember for far more than trying to bring sanity to a time when an unpredictable non-fiscally conservative, democrat convert turned republican president took office.

You know and for little contributions of Senator Mccain's like this VA Health Bill of today, The one trump would have liked to taken credit for:

I'd be more concerned about how trumps presidency goes down in history if you back him. 

epistte
Junior Guide
1.1.1  epistte  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @1.1    6 years ago

History will be far more kind of John McCain then it will be to Donald Trump. 

lib50
Professor Silent
1.1.2  lib50  replied to  epistte @1.1.1    6 years ago

The day is coming when all Trump supporters will deny they ever fell for his bs.   Treason and lies,  fraud and incompetence.  Then he makes as much money as possible for his business from taxpayers at his resorts weekly.  Suckers haven't even seen his tax returns and believe his lies about his wealth. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.3  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @1.1    6 years ago

I guess we will never know

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.4  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  epistte @1.1.1    6 years ago

Only if liberals continue to teach history

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.5  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  lib50 @1.1.2    6 years ago

His tax returns are the least of my concerns

epistte
Junior Guide
1.1.6  epistte  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.4    6 years ago
Only if liberals continue to teach history

When did teaching facts become a liberal concept?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.7  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  epistte @1.1.6    6 years ago

It's not. 

epistte
Junior Guide
1.1.8  epistte  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.7    6 years ago
It's not. 

Then what is the current problem with teaching history as it happened instead of how you want to believe that it happened?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.9  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  epistte @1.1.8    6 years ago
Then what is the current problem with teaching history as it happened

That is what I want. Shall I allow this conversation to wander a bit?  Please tell us how you would teach children how America entered into the Vietnam war? How Prime minister Diem died?  Who de-segregated the US military?

It seems our children are ignorant of such historical events

epistte
Junior Guide
1.1.10  epistte  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.9    6 years ago
That is what I want. Shall I allow this conversation to wander a bit?  Please tell us how you would teach children how America entered into the Vietnam war? How Prime minister Diem died?  Who de-segregated the US military?

1.) Truman desegregated the military in 1948. Executive order 9981.

2.) The US got involved in Vietnam to support the French in the early 1950s and as the French pulled out after the loss at Dien Bein Phu we stepped up our unofficial involvement with "advisors".   We made it official after the questionable Tonkin Gulf incident in 1964.

3.) Ngo Diem was assassinated in an apparent coup.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.11  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  epistte @1.1.10    6 years ago
1.) Truman desegregated the military in 1948. Executive order 9981.

Correct

2.) The US got involved in Vietnam to support the French in the early 1950s and as the French pulled out after the loss at Dien Bein Phu we stepped up our unofficial involvement with "advisors".   We made it official after the questionable Tonkin Gulf incident in 1964.

The Gulf of Tonkin Resolution was the starting point. 

3.) Ngo Diem was assassinated in an apparent coup.

A coup instigated & approved of by JFK

I'm sorry I can only give you a passing grade

epistte
Junior Guide
1.1.12  epistte  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.11    6 years ago
The Gulf of Tonkin Resolution was the starting point. 

The US military was very involved in Vietnam before the Tonkin Guilt incident.  Almost 15 years before. 

July 26 19590, - United States military involvement in Vietnam begins as President Harry Truman authorizes $15 million in military aid to the French.

American military advisors will accompany the flow of U.S. tanks, planes, artillery and other supplies to Vietnam. Over the next four years, the U.S. will spend $3 Billion on the French war and by 1954 will provide 80 percent of all war supplies used by the French.

September 16, 1950 - General Giap begins his main attack against French outposts near the Chinese border. As the outposts fall, the French lose 6000 men and large stores of military equipment to the Viet Minh.

September 27, 1950 - The U.S. establishes a Military Assistance Advisory Group (MAAG) in Saigon to aid the French Army.

You didn't ask me if I thought that the CIA was behind the coup. You only asked how he died. 

Washington D.C., November 5, 2003 - A White House tape of President Kennedy and his advisers , published this week in a new book-and-CD collection and excerpted on the Web, confirms that top U.S. officials sought the November 1, 1963 coup against then-South Vietnamese leader Ngo Dinh Diem without apparently considering the physical consequences for Diem personally (he was murdered the following day). The taped meeting and related documents show that U.S. officials, including JFK, vastly overestimated their ability to control the South Vietnamese generals who ran the coup 40 years ago this week. The Kennedy tape from October 29, 1963 captures the highest-level White House meeting immediately prior to the coup, including the President's brother voicing doubts about the policy of support for a coup: "I mean, it's different from a coup in the Iraq or South American country; we are so intimately involved in this…." National Security Archive senior fellow John Prados provides a full transcript of the meeting, together with the audio on CD, in his new book-and-CD publication, The White House Tapes: Eavesdropping on the President (New York: The New Press, 2003, 331 pp. + 8 CDs, ISBN 1-56584-852-7), just published this week and featuring audio files from 8 presidents, from Roosevelt to Reagan.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.13  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  epistte @1.1.12    6 years ago
The US military was very involved in Vietnam before the Tonkin Guilt incident.  Almost 15 years before. 

I will concede that point and it could have remained that way with the US supplying aid and/or advisers, but eventually a President did devise a way (the Gulf of Tonkin Resolution) to put US combat troops into the war and that President was LBJ. Are you going to stress that to the young, impressionable minds?

You didn't ask me if I thought that the CIA was behind the coup.

And now you supplied the rest. Your thoughts on the coup and the man who approved of it?

epistte
Junior Guide
1.1.14  epistte  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.13    6 years ago
I will concede that point and it could have remained that way with the US supplying aid and/or advisers, but eventually a President did devise a way (the Gulf of Tonkin Resolution) to put US combat troops into the war and that President was LBJ. Are you going to stress that to the young, impressionable minds?

Vietnam was a loser from the start because we didn't have the support of the people. 20 years and a couple of million lost lives in the US, Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia later we learned that fact. We promised Ho Chi Minh at the start of WW2 that we would got to bat for the Vietnamese people against the French to help them with their fight for independence if they would help us fight the Japanese in a guerrilla war in SE Asia. 

And now you supplied the rest. Your thoughts on the coup and the man who approved of it?

That was not our decision to make, just as we should have stayed out or Iran instead of removing Mohammad Mosaddegh via a coup when he threatened to take state control of their oil resources from BP.

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1.15  Kavika   replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.13    6 years ago

The Gulf of Tonkin was in August 1964....At that time we have around 23,000 troops in Vietnam. We were technically adviser's but served in combat operations going back to 1959 with ARVN units. 

The ARVN Airborne division, the Rangers and the Marine Division were the best of the best in ARVN.

Binh Chung Nhay Du 

Vietnamese Airborne Division 's Insignia.svg

Just a little additional information.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.16  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  epistte @1.1.14    6 years ago
Vietnam was a loser from the start because we didn't have the support of the people. 20 years and a couple of million lost lives in the US, Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia later we learned that fact. We promised Ho Chi Minh at the start of WW2 that we would got to bat for the Vietnamese people against the French to help them with their fight for independence if they would help us fight the Japanese in a guerrilla war in SE Asia. 

There is a lot in what you say. I always thought that it was how we fought that war. I would have preferred that we invade North Vietnam. LBJ feared Soviet intervention. He ran that war.

That was not our decision to make, just as we should have stayed out or Iran instead of removing Mohammad Mosaddegh via a coup when he threatened to take state control of their oil resources from BP.

JFK gave the green light. Carter didn't support the Shah. Make sure the kids know.
Otherwise your'e on top of your game tonight!

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.17  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Kavika @1.1.15    6 years ago

Your'e keeping me honest.

It's good to get insight from someone who was there. Thanks

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1.18  Kavika   replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.17    6 years ago

I could add a lot more but that would totally derail your article. 

Perhaps another article at some time might be of interest. We do have a fair amount of old farts here that were there. I don't know if any (other than me) were before 1964 though.

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1.20  Kavika   replied to    6 years ago

Could be, 61/62 and 64/65 for me.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.21  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Kavika @1.1.18    6 years ago
Perhaps another article at some time might be of interest.

Agreed. Food for thought. Many lessons learned there. 

epistte
Junior Guide
1.1.22  epistte  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.16    6 years ago
There is a lot in what you say. I always thought that it was how we fought that war. I would have preferred that we invade North Vietnam. LBJ feared Soviet intervention. He ran that war.

The Vietnamese people didn't want to be an American colony any more than they wanted to be a French colony, so an invasion of the North would have been a loss like Iraq was. They wanted sovereignty to make their own decsions, even if they failed. History proved that the domino theory didn't exist as many thought that it did. 

Most history classes run out of time by the time they get to the 1960s, so that period is glossed over or only covered in passing. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.23  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  epistte @1.1.22    6 years ago

An American Colony?

epistte
Junior Guide
1.1.24  epistte  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.23    6 years ago
An American Colony?

The Vietnamese government would have been under the thumb of Washington and American companies would have been the first choice to get their natural resources. Vietnam suffered under French rule for more than 200 years and they wanted to have the authority to rule themselves. 

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
1.1.25  Skrekk  replied to  epistte @1.1.24    6 years ago
The Vietnamese government would have been under the thumb of Washington and American companies would have been the first choice to get their natural resources.

That really was the main issue for Eisenhower and the profoundly corrupt Dulles brothers, that US companies would have an advantage.    It certainly was the case when they overthrew Iran's democracy in 1953 and in Guatemala in 1954, and the record of the 1954 Geneva peace accords shows that it was John Foster Dulles' main reason for scuttling the accords and having the US take over the role as colonial master in Vietnam.    It was a very short sighted and unethical policy.

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1.26  Kavika   replied to  Skrekk @1.1.25    6 years ago

From 1948 through 1954 in Vietnam the involvement of French, British (non involvement) US and China and with the Vietnamese starting their campaign of throwing of the yoke of colonial western powers was an amazing part of US history and after a good decision we followed it with a series of bad decisions. 

Mao Zedong amassed 200,000 troops on the border with Tonkin (north Vietnam) and began supplying the Vietnamese with weapons 1948/49 The British wanted no part of the disaster that started to unfold in 1948. 

As the war progressed and the French were trapped at Deim Bien Phu they asked for support from the Americans in the form of bombing runs by US planes. The decision was up to Gen. Mathew Ridgeway and he declined to provide any air power. He was of the mind that if we became involved in addition to air support we have have to provide 7 to 8 combat divisions to stop the North Vietnamese. That soon after Korea it was not going to happen. 

Sadly, a few short years later we were in it up to you ass. And the rest is history. 

All the death and destruction could have been avoided if we had simply stood by our word to North Vietnam. Or if Truman had responded to the communiques from Ho Chi Minh.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.27  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  epistte @1.1.24    6 years ago
. Vietnam suffered under French rule for more than 200 years and they wanted to have the authority to rule themselves.

They wanted more than that. In 1978 they invaded Cambodia.
Btw Nixon could have done a better job with the treaty we negotiated. Originally there were real safeguards for South Vietnam, but Nixon stalled the negotiations so they would produce a treaty just before his re-election. The North Vietnamese knew what he was up to and withdrew some of those safeguards in the end. And the end came for the US in 1973. South Vietnam was defeated two years later.

epistte
Junior Guide
1.1.28  epistte  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.27    6 years ago
They wanted more than that. In 1978 they invaded Cambodia.

The invasion of Cambodia was to put an end to Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge because other countries were ignoring their atrocities and their political ambitions.  Vietnam helped Cambodia/Kampuchea start to get back on their feet after the end of Pol Pot's reign of terror.

epistte
Junior Guide
1.1.29  epistte  replied to  epistte @1.1.28    6 years ago
The North Vietnamese knew what he was up to and withdrew some of those safeguards in the end. And the end came for the US in 1973. South Vietnam was defeated two years later.

The South Vietnamese had no intention or ability to fighting the NVA/VC because that was obvious during the Vietnamization/handover phase of the war in 1970 onward.  It was just a matter of time until South Vietnam fell. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.30  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  epistte @1.1.28    6 years ago
The invasion of Cambodia was to put an end to Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge

That was the stated objective, however it didn't turn out that way:

"Vietnam launched an invasion of Cambodia in late December 1978 to remove Pol Pot. Two million Cambodians had died at the hands of his Khmer Rouge regime and Pol Pot's troops had conducted bloody cross-border raids into Vietnam, Cambodia's historic enemy, massacring civilians and torching villages.

Pol Pot fled ahead of the onslaught and Phnom Penh was placed under Vietnamese control in a little over a week.

Those that survived the Khmer Rouge regime initially greeted the Vietnamese as liberators. Years later, however, Vietnamese troops were still in Cambodia and by then, many Cambodians considered them occupiers."

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.31  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  epistte @1.1.29    6 years ago
th Vietnamese had no intention or ability to fighting the NVA/VC because that was obvious during the Vietnamization/handover phase of the war in 1970 onward.  It was just a matter of time until South Vietnam fell. 

True

It was just a matter of time until South Vietnam fell.

Also true, so long as the US never invaded the north, nor kept it's promises to the south. The US could have won that war alone and as far as I'm concerned once the US commits to war, it must prevail. What we got was a long drawn out police action managed by those who didn't want to go all the way.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.32  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Kavika @1.1.15    6 years ago
We were technically adviser's but served in combat operations going back to 1959 with ARVN units. 

Did you volunteer?

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1.33  Kavika   replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.32    6 years ago
Did you volunteer?

Do you mean did I enlist or was I drafted. I was  regular army (RA) a volunteer.

Yes I volunteered for Vietnam.

epistte
Junior Guide
1.1.34  epistte  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.30    6 years ago
Those that survived the Khmer Rouge regime initially greeted the Vietnamese as liberators. Years later, however, Vietnamese troops were still in Cambodia and by then, many Cambodians considered them occupiers."

Cambodia could not have defended and managed themselves or started the process to rebuild in 1979.   They are still not a completely stable government more than 30 years later. Most people do not understand just how violent that the Khmer Rouge were to the Cambodian society. 

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
1.1.35  dave-2693993  replied to  epistte @1.1.34    6 years ago
Most people do not understand just how violent that the Khmer Rouge were to the Cambodian society.

Gives just an idea.

epistte
Junior Guide
1.1.36  epistte  replied to  dave-2693993 @1.1.35    6 years ago

My daughter, who is also an engineer, spent 90 days in Cambodia helping an NGO rebuild their infrastructure in rural areas as part of a work-study in college.  She came back a changed person because of what she saw and what she learned about their past. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.37  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  epistte @1.1.34    6 years ago

This was the whole point of me using the Vietnam topic to demonstrate how liberals would teach history.

Do you realize what you are doing? You are now defending the foreign policy of Vietnam (at every turn). Earlier, you described them as a nation fighting off the old chains of colonialism. Yet, when Vietnam became an occupying force in Cambodia, you say it's ok because it wasn't as bad as the regime they replaced.

You also had a hard time admitting that JFK gave the green light to the coup. Revisionist historians have tried to give some cover to the young president, claiming that Kennedy didn't seem to understand that Diem could be killed.

All the details are important in learning history.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
1.1.38  1stwarrior  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.31    6 years ago

Actually, no - LBJ believed he could "manage" the war from DC along with McNamara and Westmoreland.

Funny how that didn't work out.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.39  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  1stwarrior @1.1.38    6 years ago

Didn't I list that as the key problem?

epistte
Junior Guide
1.1.40  epistte  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.37    6 years ago
Do you realize what you are doing? You are now defending the foreign policy of Vietnam (at every turn). Earlier, you described them as a nation fighting off the old chains of colonialism. Yet, when Vietnam became an occupying force in Cambodia, you say it's ok because it wasn't as bad as the regime they replaced.

Vietnam did not try to impose their power and colonize Cambodia. Cambodia(Kampuchea) was so unstable after the end of the Khmer Rouge that they could not have stood on their own. They needed outside help to start to recover and rebuild and that recovery continues to this day, even though that they are now self-governing.

Pol Pot could not have come to power had it not been for the US involvement in SE Asia that destablized the entire region.  The 2003 invasion of Iraq destabilized that region which led to the rise iof ISIL and likely the Syrian civil war. John Bolton is currently saber rattling and trying to start a war with Iran in his immutable religious idiocy. 

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
1.1.41  dave-2693993  replied to  epistte @1.1.36    6 years ago
She came back a changed person because of what she saw and what she learned about their past.

Was she involved in forensics? Although, as an engineer, i am not sure how the 2 would tie together?

epistte
Junior Guide
1.1.42  epistte  replied to  dave-2693993 @1.1.41    6 years ago
Was she involved in forensics? Although, as an engineer, i am not sure how the 2 would tie together?

No. She merely saw the various memorials and other reminders of that very violent past and the poverty that still grips much of the country.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
1.1.43  1stwarrior  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.39    6 years ago

If you did, I apologize for not seeing it.

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1.44  Kavika   replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.37    6 years ago
This was the whole point of me using the Vietnam topic to demonstrate how liberals would teach history.

That is pure nonsense Vic. 

Between 1975 and 1979 the Khmer Rouge conducted cross border raids killing thousands of Vietnamese civilians. In addition they killed between 1.5 and 2 million of their own people. Pol Pot and the KR were the worst type of genocidal monsters. If you have never seen the movie, ''The Killing Fields'' it will give you a good idea of the monsters that the KR were. 

Vietnam invaded Cambodia in 1978 and at that time they had to be damn careful since the main supporter of Pol Pot was the Chinese. When the Chinese were distracted in dealing with the US and other internal situations the Vietnamese stuck and drove to within 30 miles of Phnom  Penh. 

The Vietnamese stayed in Cambodia for 10 years after they invasion of 1978 (actually they did a smaller invasion in 1977 and captured many Chinese military personal)...The Chinese punished the Vietnam by an invasion of Vietnam in Feb or March of 1979..Which the Vietnamese fought off. 

There are many historians that believe that JRK was ready to pull out of Vietnam. True or not we'll never know since he was assassinated. My own personal opinion was that he was thinking about it because of what had and was happening in South Vietnam. Again, true or not we'll never know. 

What we do know is that the US fucked up big time in advancing a war on the principal of the ''Domino Theory''.....

For a really good view of Vietnam read ''A Bright and Shining Lie. John Paul Vann,  America in Vietnam...the Author is Neil Sheehan.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.45  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  epistte @1.1.40    6 years ago

They occupied another country against the will of it's people. You simply can't get around that.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.46  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  1stwarrior @1.1.43    6 years ago

No problem, my friend

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.47  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Kavika @1.1.44    6 years ago
For a really good view of Vietnam read ''A Bright and Shining Lie. John Paul Vann,  America in Vietnam...the Author is Neil Sheehan.

I have but I suggest you take a look at the interview JFK gave to James Reston.  BTW most of what you say is spot on!

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1.48  Kavika   replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.47    6 years ago
I have but I suggest you take a look at the interview JFK gave to James Reston.

I have and it was quite interesting.

sixpick
Professor Quiet
1.2  sixpick  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    6 years ago

Unfortunately he should have ran as a Democrat long ago.  He didn't even represent his constituents as he promised to do.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  sixpick @1.2    6 years ago

Yup, of course if he did that he never would have been elected to the US Senate

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2  Buzz of the Orient    6 years ago

I believe John McCain would have been POTUS had he not had a Saturday Night Live character for a running mate.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2    6 years ago

Really?  I doubt any Republican could have won in 2008. However your point about Palin is valid. The democrats can get away with a Biden or a totally ignorant socialist, but Republicans can never get away with a Palin

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
2.1.1  Spikegary  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1    6 years ago

I agree Vic, no Republican would win after two terms of George Bush.  It wasn't in the cards, especially with the housing bubble burst, which wasn't his fault, but when you're driving the airplane, you get blamed for anything that goes wrong with the flight, no matter who caused it.  Just the way it works.  I'm not going to get into all the other tit-for-tat bullshit.  McCain can't fulfill the job he was elected to do, so he needs to step down.  Exit gracefully while he still can.  Others should have also-Strom Thrumond comes to mind and Justice Bader-Ginsburg while we are at it.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.1.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1    6 years ago

McCain had no shot in 2008 and really wasn't very interested in winning the last month or so. 

But there were a few studies after the election that showed the Palin pick actually helped him. The people who hated Palin weren't going to vote for him under any circumstances and she was liked by enough Republicans in 2008  because she actually went after Obama while McCain wouldn't.  Her effect was minimal, but what effect there was resulted in a slight boost for the McCain ticket.    

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.3  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Spikegary @2.1.1    6 years ago

Well said!

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.4  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.1.2    6 years ago
But there were a few studies after the election that showed the Palin pick actually helped him.

True.

The pick gave the campaign an initial boost. She really connected with the average blue collar guy (her "Joe Six-packs"), her first speech for the campaign was awesome, but it soon became clear that she sorely lacked general knowledge of important issues. They tried to keep her under wraps for a while, but she was done in with the Katie Couric interview, which she was totally un-prepared for. The enemies of Palin were legion on both sides. As you correctly point out there were some within the campaign who wanted her out and as usual those on the left who hate the idea of a Conservative female.

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.1.5  Dulay  replied to  Spikegary @2.1.1    6 years ago
Justice Bader-Ginsburg while we are at it.

Based on WHAT? It must be agism because is sure as hell isn't about her ability to do her job. 

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
2.1.6  Spikegary  replied to  Dulay @2.1.5    6 years ago

Asleep during oral arguments?  Are you crazy?  This is the highest court in the land, that is the ultimate decision maker and yet, she falls asleep? 

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.1.7  Dulay  replied to  Spikegary @2.1.6    6 years ago
Asleep during oral arguments? 

Link? 

Are you crazy? 

That reads as close to a personal attack. 

This is the highest court in the land, that is the ultimate decision maker and yet, she falls asleep? 

Got a link? 

PJ
Masters Quiet
2.2  PJ  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2    6 years ago

Well said Buzz.  Imo, Sarah was unqualified and not very bright but she helped catapult the extremists on the right.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.2.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  PJ @2.2    6 years ago
Imo, Sarah was unqualified and not very bright but she helped catapult the extremists on the right.

She was more a lightning rod for the scoundrels on the left, as evidenced by all the bashing she endured

PJ
Masters Quiet
2.2.2  PJ  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2.1    6 years ago

Nah, she wasn't very bright.  I used to wear my hair up until I had multiple people tell me I could pass for Sarah palin.  I quickly changed my style.  devil

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.2.3  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  PJ @2.2.2    6 years ago
Nah, she wasn't very bright. 

Clearly not an intellectual.

I used to wear my hair up until I had multiple people tell me I could pass for Sarah palin. 

I'm sorry to hear that. Many men thought she was attractive

I quickly changed my style. 

Beauty and intelligence don't necessarily go hand in hand. You may have been both. I think you should wear it high again.

PJ
Masters Quiet
2.2.4  PJ  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2.3    6 years ago

I confess that I went back to wearing it up most of the time because it was a pain having it down.  Winking 2

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.2.5  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  PJ @2.2.4    6 years ago

Lol, I'll bet it was because you like seeing those heads turn!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.2.6  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  PJ @2.2.2    6 years ago
"I quickly changed my style."

LOL

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.2.7  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2.3    6 years ago
"Beauty and intelligence don't necessarily go hand in hand."

Ergo - blond jokes.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.2.8  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.2.7    6 years ago

Those were the days!!!

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
3  Bob Nelson    6 years ago

If Donald Trump tells the Unthinking Faithful TM to hate George Washington, they'll do it. McCain is nobody.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
3.1  Spikegary  replied to  Bob Nelson @3    6 years ago

What does that have to do with the article, Bob?

BTW< you don't have a Trademark on anything and throwing that little 'TM' on words just makes you look foolish.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
3.1.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  Spikegary @3.1    6 years ago

Winking 2

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Bob Nelson @3    6 years ago

McCain is more of a somebody than Trump will ever be.  Trump would not last 2 seconds in a deep pit as a POW.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.2.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3.2    6 years ago
Trump would not last 2 seconds in a deep pit as a POW.

You never know who can survive what until it happens. Fortunately this is not a survival contest, it's about serving the nation. Trump is fighting to keep his promises and Mr McCain is not fulfilling his duties. That's the bottom line.

Sophomore Guide
3.2.2  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Vic Eldred @3.2.1    6 years ago
Trump is fighting to keep his promises and Mr McCain is not fulfilling his duties.

I hate to butt in and disagree, But, I am and do.

IMO: Both trump and mccain are doing what they each really do believe is the best thing to do for the country. That's politics.

Mccain still seems relevant even from his death bed, will trump be ?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.2.3  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @3.2.2    6 years ago
Mccain still seems relevant even from his death bed

Explain how someone who is not able to fulfill his duties as Senator is relevant?

There is only one answer and that is to try and deny the Trump agenda by reducing the Republican majority in the Senate. Mr McCain is obstructing his party's agenda as well.

He was using Barry Goldwater's desk. I think he should send it back to the Goldwater family.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.2.4  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.2.3    6 years ago
Explain how someone who is not able to fulfill his duties as Senator is relevant?

Maybe he is hoping for a reprieve from the grim reaper. 

I don't think McCain is at all as politically moderate as some in the media try to paint him as, but he is 50 times the man Trump is. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.2.5  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @3.2.4    6 years ago

But you couldn't answer the question.

Sorry, John, youv'e done it again

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.2.6  Dulay  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.2.3    6 years ago

What makes you think that McCain is not fulfilling his duties as Senator of AZ? 

Sophomore Guide
3.2.7  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Vic Eldred @3.2.3    6 years ago
There is only one answer and that is to try and deny the Trump agenda by reducing the Republican majority in the Senate. Mr McCain is obstructing his party's agenda as well'

Thank you very much for answering your own question. I think you nailed it, while president trump really believes He is doing the best he can for America, so does Senator McCain.

It's called politics. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.2.8  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Dulay @3.2.6    6 years ago
What makes you think that McCain is not fulfilling his duties as Senator of AZ?

He hasn't been in the Senate since late last year, thus he hasn't been able to vote on anything. Do you think that is fulfilling his duties?
So the huge question is why Dosen't he step down?

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.2.9  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @3.2.7    6 years ago
while president trump really believes He is doing the best he can for America, so does Senator McCain.

Then McCain should change his party affiliation

Sophomore Guide
3.2.10  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Vic Eldred @3.2.9    6 years ago
Then McCain should change his party affiliation

Maybe, I dont know, isn't he pretty fiscally conservative ?  

I never really knew how perseptive Mccain really is because much of what he suggested and proposed militarily never seemed to get much consideration. Mccain I believe is referred to as a war hawk because of some of his proposals in past years. But he was pretty damn logical and knew his subject so I always wondered if he did have some stuff right and instead the way we whent was wrong after all.

From the way it sounds in many countries we fought in and still are fighting in its not like we've had real great results in many of endeavors that Mccain thought we should go a different direction in from the start, even under Obama.

We'll never know, But I always wondered. 

PS: As independent I dont care much who is what party. IMO: Neither represents me anyway.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.2.11  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @3.2.10    6 years ago
Maybe, I dont know, isn't he pretty fiscally conservative ?  

Ya, when he returns to Arizona to campaign for his Senate job, otherwise he was not present for the TAX ACT vote!

Sophomore Guide
3.2.12  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Vic Eldred @3.2.11    6 years ago
when he returns to Arizona to campaign for his Senate job, otherwise he was not present for the TAX ACT vote

I may be mistaken but wasn't senator Mccain hospitalized during that vote ? And didn't the VP stand in for him ? 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.2.13  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @3.2.12    6 years ago
I may be mistaken but wasn't senator Mccain hospitalized during that vote ? And didn't the VP stand in for him ? 

Yes and Yes. Iv'e already stated that earlier. I'm not sure you are getting my point. It is perfectly understandable that someone battling brain cancer can't be in the US Senate to vote. He hasn't been in the Senate since late last year. He may never return.
What is not understandable is why he dosen't resign so that someone else can represent Arizona and vote on all the important issues, legislation and the appointments that is the business of the US Senate.

Sophomore Guide
3.2.14  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Vic Eldred @3.2.13    6 years ago
What is not understandable is why he doesn't resign so that someone else can represent Arizona and vote on all the important issues

I dont know either, I suspect its because he still believes his voice and experience can help. I also expect he will step down soon unless he can fulfill more of his duties. 

I dont know, long ago I didn't even like the man. As I saw him on TV and listened to him I was drawn to how detailed and logical he was. He seemed to know a great deal about what he talked about and usually seemed to have what sounded to me logical reasonable solutions.

I think congress is lacking that now I wish Mccain well. I am also in agreement with you Mccain should and I believe he will step down soon and IF he is no longer relevant. 

I dont know off hand how much if any Mccain was involved in the latest VA bill ut I do know he advocates for the veterans a lot. It sucks at this time the president didn't even bother to give a dying war veteran the time of day or recognition he or any vetrenen in that position would have deserved. 

To me that says more about trump than mccain and his service to our country.

sad

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.2.15  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @3.2.14    6 years ago
I dont know off hand how much if any Mccain was involved in the latest VA bill ut I do know he advocates for the veterans a lot.

He was deeply involved in veteran & military affairs, among other things. He was also an advocate for native Americans. I am not saying I dislike McCain or disrespect his service, but we do have the right to criticize our public officials. Holding onto a Senate seat, while not being able to act as a Senator for over 6 months, is a serious dereliction of duty.

Sophomore Guide
3.2.16  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Vic Eldred @3.2.15    6 years ago
Holding onto a Senate seat, while not being able to act as a Senator for over 6 months, is a serious dereliction of duty.

Too hard to argue that point. So I'll jut add in my opinion, lol 

IMO: I like the fact that some of our congress is pushing back on trump. I believe its very healthy in fact.

I wrote this many years go.Its kind of pertinent to my reasoning and today with this president  in charge:

“United we stand, divided we fall”

Does Anyone remember this is still AMERICA ?

America needs a mix of all, conservatives, liberals and progressives.

A good blend will move America forward at a reasonable speed. 

Too many of any one ideology is bad for America.

America needs to move forward as the world progresses. 

Too many cons = little to no forward movement.

Too many libs = move too fast forward.

Too many Independents = well you can’t have too many…. (I’m one) LOL

Please research ALL candidates  before you VOTE

The more Americans that research all the candidates for all the offices before they vote and vote for the most qualified  candidates, the better our government and country will be.

PS: I consider myself {a pragmatist, realistically moderate,  a independent and progressive Deist with both some conservative and liberal tendencies, depending on the issue or subject.}

Hard to pigeon-hole that one. Drives me nuts sometimes, but I’m not. My mother had me tested.

Although it has been suggested, I be retested. At this point, I see no point of it.  lol

Thanks for the conversation Vic, I enjoyed it.

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.2.17  Dulay  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.2.8    6 years ago
He hasn't been in the Senate since late last year, thus he hasn't been able to vote on anything.

So is your posit that voting is the only thing that qualifies as working for your constituents? 

Do you think that is fulfilling his duties?

IMHO, unless your are a resident of Arizona, it ain't none of your bee's wax. 

Secondly, judging from the press releases and co-sponsorship of bill that McCain has documented, YES, I would say that he IS fulfilling his duties. 

So the huge question is why Dosen't he step down?

Is there a hue and cry for McCain's resignation by his constituents?

If NOT, 'it neither picks my pocket or breaks my leg'. 

The YUGE question is, if you aren't a resident of Arizona, WTF do YOU care? 

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.2.18  Dulay  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.2.13    6 years ago
What is not understandable is why he dosen't resign so that someone else can represent Arizona and vote on all the important issues, legislation and the appointments that is the business of the US Senate.

Gee, maybe you can post a list of all of the votes that McCain has missed to prove that his would have been the deciding vote. Then we would be actually looking at the facts instead of assuming that McCain's one vote has been critical as you claim. 

Please proceed.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.2.19  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @3.2.16    6 years ago

Thank you, the pleasure was mine

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.2.20  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Dulay @3.2.17    6 years ago
So is your posit that voting is the only thing that qualifies as working for your constituents? 

That is the essential part of being a Senator. So you think he works for his constituents by not voting? Unusual argument, even for you.

IMHO, unless your are a resident of Arizona, it ain't none of your bee's wax. 

Oh yes, I should shut up. It must go on....Why is that?

Secondly, judging from the press releases and co-sponsorship of bill that McCain has documented, YES, I would say that he IS fulfilling his duties. 

Things he once did as a functioning Senator now justify his long absence?

Is there a hue and cry for McCain's resignation by his constituents?

And it is his constituents you are concerned about?

If NOT, 'it neither picks my pocket or breaks my leg'. 

Oh, but it does, this feud has narrowed the GOP majority in The Senate down to a single vote, something that his progressive defenders are keenly aware of!

That is not the question at all. The question, the one I posed is the one that needs to be answered. I notice you haven't done it.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.2.21  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Dulay @3.2.18    6 years ago

Thats not the question

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.2.22  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.2.21    6 years ago

Actually, I recently found this:

Sen. McCain has missed 44.4% of votes in the 115th Congress (2017-18).   This makes him the 1st most absent member of the Senate.   See his missed vote explanations.

Date Bill Question Vote result Yes - No Party position
AUG. 15, 2018 On the Cloture Motion Cloture Motion Agreed to 61 - 28 Yes
AUG. 1, 2018 H.R.5515 On the Conference Report Conference Report Agreed to 87 - 10 Yes
AUG. 1, 2018 H.R.6147 On Passage of the Bill Bill Passed 92 - 6 Yes
AUG. 1, 2018 H.R.6147 On the Motion to Table Motion to Table Agreed to 54 - 44 No
AUG. 1, 2018 H.R.6147 On the Amendment Amendment Agreed to 83 - 15 Yes
AUG. 1, 2018 H.R.6147 On the Amendment Amendment Rejected 14 - 84 No
AUG. 1, 2018 H.R.6147 On the Amendment Amendment Rejected 50 - 47 No
JULY 31, 2018 H.R.6147 On the Cloture Motion Cloture Motion Agreed to 94 - 4 Yes
JULY 31, 2018 On the Nomination Nomination Confirmed 52 - 46 Yes
JULY 31, 2018 S.1182 On the Motion Motion Agreed to 86 - 12 Yes
JULY 30, 2018 On the Cloture Motion Cloture Motion Agreed to 52 - 44 Yes
JULY 25, 2018 H.R.6147 On the Amendment Amendment Rejected 25 - 74 None
JULY 25, 2018 H.R.6147 On the Amendment Amendment Agreed to 99 - 0 Yes
JULY 25, 2018 H.R.6147 On the Amendment Amendment Agreed to 95 - 4 Yes
JULY 25, 2018 H.R.6147 On the Amendment Amendment Agreed to 98 - 0 Yes
JULY 24, 2018 H.R.6147 On the Amendment Amendment Agreed to 87 - 11 Yes
JULY 24, 2018 H.R.6147 On the Amendment Amendment Agreed to 97 - 1 Yes
JULY 24, 2018 H.R.6147 On the Amendment Amendment Agreed to 99 - 0 Yes
JULY 24, 2018 H.R.6147 On the Amendment Amendment Agreed to 98 - 1 Yes
JULY 23, 2018 On the Nomination Nomination Confirmed 86 - 9 Yes
JULY 19, 2018 S.RES.584 On the Resolution Resolution Agreed to 98 - 0 Yes
JULY 18, 2018 On the Cloture Motion Cloture Motion Agreed to 50 - 49 Yes
JULY 18, 2018 On the Nomination Nomination Confirmed 50 - 49 Yes
JULY 17, 2018 On the Cloture Motion Cloture Motion Agreed to 50 - 49 Yes
JULY 17, 2018 On the Nomination Nomination Confirmed 66 - 33 Yes
JULY 17, 2018 On the Cloture Motion Cloture Motion Agreed to 66 - 33 Yes
JULY 17, 2018 On the Nomination Nomination Confirmed 50 - 49 Yes
JULY 16, 2018 On the Nomination Nomination Confirmed 85 - 0 Yes
JULY 12, 2018 On the Nomination Nomination Confirmed 70 - 23 Yes
JULY 11, 2018 On the Cloture Motion Cloture Motion Agreed to 74 - 25 Yes
JULY 11, 2018 On the Nomination Nomination Confirmed 51 - 48 Yes
JULY 11, 2018 H.R.5895 On the Motion Motion Agreed to 88 - 11 Yes
JULY 11, 2018 H.R.5895 On the Motion Motion Agreed to 95 - 4 Yes
JULY 10, 2018 H.R.5515 On the Motion Motion Agreed to 97 - 2 Yes
JULY 10, 2018 H.R.5515 On the Motion Motion Agreed to 97 - 2 Yes
JULY 10, 2018 H.R.5515 On the Motion Motion Agreed to 91 - 8 Yes
JULY 10, 2018 On the Cloture Motion Cloture Motion Agreed to 51 - 48 Yes
JULY 10, 2018 On the Nomination Nomination Confirmed 72 - 27 No
JULY 9, 2018 On the Cloture Motion Cloture Motion Agreed to 72 - 25 None
JUNE 28, 2018 H.R.2 On Passage of the Bill Bill Passed 86 - 11 Yes
JUNE 28, 2018 H.R.2 On the Amendment Amendment Rejected 38 - 57 No
JUNE 28, 2018 H.R.2 On the Motion to Table Motion to Table Agreed to 68 - 30 No
JUNE 25, 2018 H.R.2 On Cloture on the Motion to Proceed Cloture on the Motion to Proceed Agreed to 89 - 3 Yes
JUNE 25, 2018 H.R.5895 On Passage of the Bill Bill Passed 86 - 5 Yes
JUNE 21, 2018 H.R.5895 On the Motion to Table Motion to Table Agreed to 62 - 34 No
JUNE 21, 2018 H.R.5895 On the Amendment Amendment Agreed to 96 - 0 Yes
JUNE 20, 2018 H.R.5895 On the Amendment Amendment Agreed to 96 - 0 Yes
JUNE 20, 2018 H.R.5895 On the Amendment Amendment Agreed to 96 - 0 Yes
JUNE 20, 2018 H.R.3 On the Motion to Discharge Motion to Discharge Rejected 48 - 50 Yes
JUNE 20, 2018 H.R.5895 On the Amendment Amendment Agreed to 95 - 2 Yes
JUNE 20, 2018 H.R.5895 On the Amendment Amendment Agreed to 87 - 9 Yes
JUNE 19, 2018 H.R.5895 On the Amendment Amendment Agreed to 96 - 0 Yes
JUNE 19, 2018 H.R.5895 On the Amendment Amendment Agreed to 93 - 3 Yes
JUNE 18, 2018 H.R.5895 On Cloture on the Motion to Proceed Cloture on the Motion to Proceed Agreed to 92 - 3 Yes
JUNE 18, 2018 H.R.5515 On Passage of the Bill Bill Passed 85 - 10 Yes
JUNE 18, 2018 H.R.5515 On the Motion Motion Agreed to 81 - 14 Yes
JUNE 14, 2018 H.R.5515 On the Cloture Motion Cloture Motion Agreed to 81 - 15 Yes
JUNE 14, 2018 H.R.5515 On the Amendment Amendment Agreed to 97 - 0 Yes
JUNE 14, 2018 H.R.5515 On the Cloture Motion Cloture Motion Agreed to 83 - 14 Yes
JUNE 14, 2018 H.R.5515 On the Cloture Motion Cloture Motion Rejected 35 - 62 Yes
JUNE 13, 2018 H.R.5515 On the Motion to Table Motion to Table Failed 30 - 68 Yes
JUNE 13, 2018 H.R.5515 On the Motion to Table Motion to Table Failed 47 - 51 Yes
JUNE 11, 2018 H.R.5515 On the Motion to Proceed Motion to Proceed Agreed to 91 - 4 Yes
JUNE 7, 2018 H.R.5515 On the Cloture Motion Cloture Motion Agreed to 92 - 4 Yes
JUNE 7, 2018 On the Nomination Nomination Confirmed 50 - 46 Yes
JUNE 6, 2018 On the Nomination Nomination Confirmed 83 - 11 Yes
JUNE 5, 2018 On the Cloture Motion Cloture Motion Agreed to 84 - 11 Yes
JUNE 5, 2018 On the Nomination Nomination Confirmed 96 - 0 Yes
JUNE 5, 2018 On the Cloture Motion Cloture Motion Agreed to 94 - 1 Yes
JUNE 5, 2018 On the Nomination Nomination Confirmed 95 - 0 Yes
JUNE 4, 2018 On the Cloture Motion Cloture Motion Agreed to 90 - 1 Yes
MAY 24, 2018 On the Nomination Nomination Confirmed 48 - 43 Yes
MAY 24, 2018 On the Cloture Motion Cloture Motion Agreed to 49 - 44 Yes
MAY 24, 2018 On the Nomination Nomination Confirmed 69 - 24 Yes
MAY 23, 2018 On the Cloture Motion Cloture Motion Agreed to 73 - 23 Yes
MAY 23, 2018 On the Cloture Motion Cloture Motion Agreed to 72 - 25 Yes
MAY 23, 2018 S.2372 On the Motion Motion Agreed to 92 - 5 Yes
MAY 23, 2018 On the Nomination Nomination Confirmed 74 - 23 Yes
MAY 22, 2018 S.2372 On the Cloture Motion Cloture Motion Agreed to 91 - 4 Yes
MAY 22, 2018 On the Nomination Nomination Confirmed 50 - 45 Yes
MAY 21, 2018 On the Cloture Motion Cloture Motion Agreed to 49 - 45 Yes
MAY 17, 2018 On the Nomination Nomination Confirmed 54 - 45 Yes
MAY 17, 2018 On the Cloture Motion Cloture Motion Agreed to 54 - 44 Yes
MAY 17, 2018 S.CON.RES.36 On the Motion to Proceed Motion to Proceed Rejected 21 - 76 No
MAY 16, 2018 On the Nomination Nomination Confirmed 50 - 48 Yes
MAY 16, 2018 S.J.RES.52 On the Joint Resolution Joint Resolution Passed 52 - 47 No
MAY 16, 2018 S.J.RES.52 On the Motion to Proceed Motion to Proceed Agreed to 52 - 47 No
MAY 15, 2018 On the Nomination Nomination Confirmed 53 - 45 Yes
MAY 15, 2018 On the Nomination Nomination Confirmed 77 - 21 Yes
MAY 14, 2018 On the Nomination Nomination Confirmed 91 - 0 Yes
MAY 14, 2018 On the Nomination Nomination Confirmed 90 - 0 Yes
MAY 10, 2018 On the Cloture Motion Cloture Motion Agreed to 52 - 43 Yes
MAY 10, 2018 On the Cloture Motion Cloture Motion Agreed to 71 - 24 Yes
MAY 10, 2018 On the Nomination Nomination Confirmed 49 - 46 Yes
MAY 9, 2018 On the Cloture Motion Cloture Motion Agreed to 49 - 47 Yes
MAY 9, 2018 On the Nomination Nomination Confirmed 62 - 34 Yes
MAY 7, 2018 On the Cloture Motion Cloture Motion Agreed to 64 - 31 Yes
APRIL 26, 2018 On the Nomination Nomination Confirmed 56 - 42 Yes
APRIL 26, 2018 On the Nomination Nomination Confirmed 57 - 42 Yes
APRIL 26, 2018 On the Cloture Motion Cloture Motion Agreed to 57 - 42 Yes
APRIL 24, 2018 On the Nomination Nomination Confirmed 50 - 47 Yes
APRIL 23, 2018 On the Cloture Motion Cloture Motion Agreed to 50 - 44 Yes
APRIL 19, 2018 On the Nomination Nomination Confirmed 50 - 49 Yes
APRIL 18, 2018 On the Nomination Nomination Confirmed 55 - 43 Yes
APRIL 18, 2018 On the Cloture Motion Cloture Motion Agreed to 50 - 48 Yes
APRIL 18, 2018 S.140 On the Cloture Motion Cloture Motion Rejected 56 - 42 Yes
APRIL 18, 2018 S.J.RES.57 On the Joint Resolution Joint Resolution Passed 51 - 47 Yes
APRIL 17, 2018 S.J.RES.57 On the Motion to Proceed Motion to Proceed Agreed to 50 - 47 Yes
APRIL 16, 2018 S.140 On the Cloture Motion Cloture Motion Rejected 55 - 41 Yes
APRIL 12, 2018 On the Cloture Motion Cloture Motion Agreed to 94 - 2 Yes
APRIL 12, 2018 On the Cloture Motion Cloture Motion Agreed to 74 - 24 Yes
APRIL 12, 2018 On the Nomination Nomination Confirmed 53 - 45 Yes
APRIL 12, 2018 On the Cloture Motion Cloture Motion Agreed to 53 - 45 Yes
APRIL 12, 2018 On the Nomination Nomination Confirmed 50 - 48 Yes
APRIL 11, 2018 On the Cloture Motion Cloture Motion Agreed to 50 - 48 Yes
APRIL 11, 2018 On the Nomination Nomination Confirmed 50 - 48 Yes
APRIL 10, 2018 On the Cloture Motion Cloture Motion Agreed to 50 - 47 Yes
APRIL 10, 2018 On the Nomination Nomination Confirmed 96 - 1 Yes
APRIL 9, 2018 On the Cloture Motion Cloture Motion Agreed to 96 - 2 Yes
MARCH 23, 2018 H.R.1625 On the Motion Motion Agreed to 65 - 32 None
MARCH 23, 2018 H.R.1625 On the Cloture Motion Cloture Motion Agreed to 67 - 30 Yes
MARCH 22, 2018 H.R.1625 On the Motion for Attendance Motion for Attendance Agreed to 91 - 6 Yes
MARCH 21, 2018 H.R.1865 On Passage of the Bill Bill Passed 97 - 2 Yes
MARCH 21, 2018 H.R.1865 On the Motion Motion Rejected 21 - 78 No
MARCH 20, 2018 S.J.RES.54 On the Motion to Table Motion to Table Agreed to 55 - 44 Yes
MARCH 19, 2018 H.R.1865 On the Cloture Motion Cloture Motion Agreed to 94 - 2 Yes
MARCH 19, 2018 On the Nomination Nomination Confirmed 77 - 19 Yes
MARCH 14, 2018 On the Cloture Motion Cloture Motion Agreed to 79 - 19 Yes
MARCH 14, 2018 S.2155 On Passage of the Bill Bill Passed 67 - 31 Yes
MARCH 14, 2018 S.2155 On the Motion Motion Agreed to 67 - 31 Yes
MARCH 14, 2018 S.2155 On the Cloture Motion Cloture Motion Agreed to 67 - 31 Yes
MARCH 14, 2018 S.2155 On the Amendment Amendment Agreed to 67 - 31 Yes
MARCH 12, 2018 S.2155 On the Cloture Motion Cloture Motion Agreed to 66 - 30 Yes
MARCH 6, 2018 On the Nomination Nomination Confirmed 98 - 0 Yes
MARCH 6, 2018 S.2155 On the Cloture Motion Cloture Motion Agreed to 67 - 32 Yes
MARCH 5, 2018 On the Nomination Nomination Confirmed 85 - 11 Yes
MARCH 5, 2018 On the Nomination Nomination Confirmed 95 - 0 Yes
MARCH 1, 2018 On the Cloture Motion Cloture Motion Agreed to 94 - 2 Yes
MARCH 1, 2018 On the Cloture Motion Cloture Motion Agreed to 85 - 12 Yes
MARCH 1, 2018 On the Cloture Motion Cloture Motion Agreed to 96 - 1 Yes
MARCH 1, 2018 On the Nomination Nomination Confirmed 69 - 28 Yes
FEB. 28, 2018 On the Cloture Motion Cloture Motion Agreed to 69 - 29 Yes
FEB. 28, 2018 On the Nomination Nomination Confirmed 49 - 49 Yes
FEB. 27, 2018 On the Motion Motion Agreed to 49 - 48 Yes
FEB. 27, 2018 On the Nomination Nomination Confirmed 73 - 23 Yes
FEB. 26, 2018 On the Cloture Motion Cloture Motion Agreed to 72 - 22 Yes
FEB. 15, 2018 H.R.2579 On the Cloture Motion Cloture Motion Rejected 39 - 60 Yes
FEB. 15, 2018 H.R.2579 On the Cloture Motion Cloture Motion Rejected 54 - 45 No
FEB. 15, 2018 H.R.2579 On the Cloture Motion Cloture Motion Rejected 54 - 45 Yes
FEB. 15, 2018 H.R.2579 On the Cloture Motion Cloture Motion Rejected 52 - 47 No
FEB. 12, 2018 H.R.2579 On Cloture on the Motion to Proceed Cloture on the Motion to Proceed Agreed to 97 - 1 Yes
FEB. 9, 2018 H.R.1892 On the Motion Motion Agreed to 71 - 28 Yes
FEB. 9, 2018 H.R.1892 On the Cloture Motion Cloture Motion Agreed to 73 - 26 Yes
FEB. 8, 2018 H.R.695 On the Cloture Motion Cloture Motion Rejected 55 - 44 Yes
FEB. 5, 2018 On the Nomination Nomination Confirmed 94 - 0 Yes
JAN. 30, 2018 On the Nomination Nomination Confirmed 56 - 42 Yes
JAN. 29, 2018 On the Cloture Motion Cloture Motion Agreed to 57 - 41 Yes
JAN. 29, 2018 S.2311 On the Cloture Motion Cloture Motion Rejected 51 - 46 Yes
JAN. 25, 2018 On the Nomination Nomination Confirmed 89 - 1 Yes
JAN. 24, 2018 On the Nomination Nomination Confirmed 49 - 49 Yes
JAN. 24, 2018 On the Cloture Motion Cloture Motion Agreed to 49 - 49 Yes
JAN. 24, 2018 On the Nomination Nomination Confirmed 55 - 43 Yes
JAN. 23, 2018 On the Cloture Motion Cloture Motion Agreed to 54 - 43 Yes
JAN. 23, 2018 On the Nomination Nomination Confirmed 84 - 13 Yes
JAN. 23, 2018 On the Cloture Motion Cloture Motion Agreed to 84 - 12 Yes
JAN. 22, 2018 H.R.195 On the Motion Motion Agreed to 81 - 18 Yes
JAN. 22, 2018 H.R.195 On the Cloture Motion Cloture Motion Agreed to 81 - 18 Yes
JAN. 20, 2018 H.R.195 On the Motion to Table Motion to Table Agreed to 55 - 44 Yes
JAN. 19, 2018 H.R.195 On the Cloture Motion Cloture Motion Rejected 50 - 49 Yes
JAN. 18, 2018 H.R.195 On the Motion to Proceed Motion to Proceed Agreed to 97 - 2 Yes
JAN. 18, 2018 S.139 On the Motion Motion Agreed to 65 - 34 Yes
JAN. 16, 2018 S.139 On the Cloture Motion Cloture Motion Agreed to 60 - 38 Yes
JAN. 11, 2018 S.139 On the Motion to Proceed Motion to Proceed Agreed to 69 - 26 Yes
JAN. 11, 2018 On the Nomination Nomination Confirmed 96 - 0 Yes
JAN. 11, 2018 On the Cloture Motion Cloture Motion Agreed to 90 - 1 Yes
JAN. 11, 2018 On the Nomination Nomination Confirmed 92 - 0 Yes
JAN. 10, 2018 On the Cloture Motion Cloture Motion Agreed to 97 - 1 Yes
JAN. 10, 2018 On the Nomination Nomination Confirmed 98 - 0 Yes
JAN. 9, 2018 On the Cloture Motion Cloture Motion Agreed to 96 - 1 Yes
JAN. 9, 2018 On the Nomination Nomination Confirmed 97 - 0 Yes
JAN. 8, 2018 On the Cloture Motion Cloture Motion Agreed to 89 - 1 Yes
JAN. 3, 2018 On the Nomination Nomination Confirmed 81 - 7 Yes
DEC. 21, 2017 H.R.1370 On the Motion Motion Agreed to 66 - 32 Yes
DEC. 21, 2017 H.R.1370 On the Motion Motion Agreed to 91 - 8 Yes
DEC. 20, 2017 H.R.1 On the Motion Motion Agreed to 51 - 48 Yes
DEC. 20, 2017 H.R.1 On the Motion Motion Rejected 51 - 48 Yes
DEC. 19, 2017 H.R.1 On the Motion to Proceed Motion to Proceed Agreed to 51 - 48 Yes
DEC. 19, 2017 On the Nomination Nomination Confirmed 88 - 11 Yes
DEC. 18, 2017 On the Nomination Nomination Confirmed 74 - 23 Yes
DEC. 18, 2017 On the Nomination Nomination Confirmed 62 - 34 Yes
DEC. 14, 2017 On the Nomination Nomination Confirmed 53 - 43 Yes
DEC. 13, 2017 On the Cloture Motion Cloture Motion Agreed to 53 - 44 Yes
DEC. 13, 2017 On the Nomination Nomination Confirmed 50 - 47 Yes
DEC. 12, 2017 On the Cloture Motion Cloture Motion Agreed to 50 - 48 Yes
DEC. 12, 2017 On the Nomination Nomination Confirmed 50 - 48 Yes
DEC. 11, 2017 On the Cloture Motion Cloture Motion Agreed to 48 - 47 Yes
NOV. 30, 2017 H.R.1 On the Motion Motion Rejected 48 - 51 No
NOV. 29, 2017 H.R.1 On the Motion Motion Rejected 48 - 51 No
NOV. 28, 2017 On the Nomination Nomination Confirmed 50 - 48 Yes
NOV. 16, 2017 On the Nomination Nomination Confirmed 96 - 0 Yes
OCT. 30, 2017 On the Cloture Motion Cloture Motion Agreed to 54 - 42 Yes
OCT. 30, 2017 On the Nomination Nomination Confirmed 84 - 10 Yes
OCT. 16, 2017 On the Nomination Nomination Confirmed 70 - 23 Yes
OCT. 5, 2017 On the Cloture Motion Cloture Motion Agreed to 75 - 20 Yes
OCT. 4, 2017 On the Cloture Motion Cloture Motion Agreed to 62 - 33 Yes
OCT. 4, 2017 On the Nomination Nomination Confirmed 57 - 38 Yes
OCT. 4, 2017 On the Cloture Motion Cloture Motion Agreed to 57 - 38 Yes
OCT. 2, 2017 On the Nomination Nomination Confirmed 52 - 41 Yes
AUG. 3, 2017 H.R.2430 On Passage of the Bill Bill Passed 94 - 1 Yes
AUG. 3, 2017 On the Nomination Nomination Confirmed 79 - 17 Yes
AUG. 3, 2017 H.R.2430 On the Cloture Motion Cloture Motion Agreed to 96 - 1 Yes
AUG. 2, 2017 On the Nomination Nomination Confirmed 50 - 48 Yes
AUG. 2, 2017 On the Cloture Motion Cloture Motion Agreed to 50 - 48 Yes
AUG. 1, 2017 On the Nomination Nomination Confirmed 66 - 31 Yes
AUG. 1, 2017 On the Nomination Nomination Confirmed 92 - 5 Yes
JULY 31, 2017 On the Cloture Motion Cloture Motion Agreed to 68 - 26 Yes
JULY 24, 2017 On the Nomination Nomination Confirmed 53 - 43 Yes
JULY 20, 2017 On the Cloture Motion Cloture Motion Agreed to 56 - 39 Yes
JULY 20, 2017 On the Nomination Nomination Confirmed 51 - 47 Yes
JULY 19, 2017 On the Cloture Motion Cloture Motion Agreed to 51 - 48 Yes
JULY 18, 2017 On the Nomination Nomination Confirmed 92 - 7 Yes
JULY 17, 2017 On the Cloture Motion Cloture Motion Agreed to 88 - 6 Yes
FEB. 17, 2017 On the Cloture Motion Cloture Motion Agreed to 66 - 31 Yes
FEB. 17, 2017 On the Nomination Nomination Confirmed 52 - 46 Yes
FEB. 17, 2017 On the Motion

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.2.23  Dulay  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.2.22    6 years ago

Perhaps you misunderstood. Please whittle your list down to those votes missed by McCain which would have passed had he voted. 

BTW, through Dec. 2017, McCain only missed 22.2 % of the votes. Your list should start in Jan. 2018.

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.2.24  Dulay  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.2.21    6 years ago

Why not? 

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.2.25  Dulay  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.2.20    6 years ago
That is the essential part of being a Senator. So you think he works for his constituents by not voting?

Again, I don't see his constituents demanding his resignation so I will bow to their evaluation of his work for them.  

Unusual argument, even for you.

Snark noted. 

Oh yes, I should shut up. It must go on....Why is that?

Hey, flap your gums all you want. Yet since your are not one of McCain's constituents, don't be surprised if it falls on deaf ears. 

Things he once did as a functioning Senator now justify his long absence?

NOWHERE did I infer anything about 'justifying' anything. Do try to address what I actually said, rather than what you read into my comments. 

And it is his constituents you are concerned about?

Unlike you, I respect THEIR position on this issue. 

Oh, but it does,

Nope. 

this feud has narrowed the GOP majority in The Senate down to a single vote, something that his progressive defenders are keenly aware of!

Well gee Vic, I can't count how many times I have seen conservatives mockingly suggest that the solution is for Democrats to WIN ELECTIONS. In a couple of months, the GOP needs to do just that if they want to guarantee Trump's agenda. 

Of course, they could have worked in a bipartisan way all this time and passed compromises but it's obvious that passing legislation to help the country isn't nearly as important to the GOP as one party rule. 

That is not the question at all. The question, the one I posed is the one that needs to be answered. I notice you haven't done it.

Perhaps that's because the answer is self evident.

McCain doesn't WANT to resign.

Wow, I'm beat. /s

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
3.2.26  Spikegary  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @3.2.16    6 years ago

The problem with this pushingh back form the Senate is, you actually need to be in the Senate, office buildings and on the floor to efectiely push back.  One of the 2 senators representing Arizona are unable to do that and has, in fact, to been there to do it for a good while.

BTW, as an overall observation, I really love watching the Left here now standing up for John McCain, the same left that did eveything they could to smear him in 2008.........the hypocrisy is there for everyone to see.

Sophomore Guide
3.2.27  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Vic Eldred @3.2.22    6 years ago

your post inspired me to look to see what the rules are about this practice of AWOL senators. It seems this is certainly not the first time these guys stay in office when not there to participate. 

And that's OK with the rest of them, maybe they take turns...lol

So this is definitely not the first time:

In the past, some ill members of Congress have missed even more of the action. In 1969, two years into his fourth term, South Dakota Sen. Karl E. Mundt, a Republican, suffered a stroke and was unable to continue voting. He offered to resign, but only on the condition that South Dakota's governor appoint Mundt's wife to fill the vacancy. The governor refused, and Mundt retained the Senate seat, even while missing three full years of votes. He even remained on three committees until 1972, when the Senate Republican Conference stripped him of these assignments. Similarly, in the 1940s, Sen. Carter Glass of Virginia missed two years' worth of votes due to illness—he was 87 and in failing health—but refused to retire even as newspapers from across his state pressured him to step aside.

If either house of Congress wanted to institute disciplinary action for absentee representatives, they would have to amend their rules of operation. But it's unlikely that members would vote to give themselves stringent attendance guidelines.

it's unlikely that members would vote to give themselves stringent attendance guidelines.  

politics AWww  !!! 

Sophomore Guide
3.2.28  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Spikegary @3.2.26    6 years ago

you actually need to be in the Senate, office buildings and on the floor to efectiely push back.

Yes "pushing back" in person is probably more effective, but no pushing back at all is even less effective.   

BTW, as an overall observation, I really love watching the Left here now standing up for John McCain

Well it's logical that the left would support senators that agree with their desires. 

Personally for myself like I said, " long ago I saw him on TV and listened to him I was drawn to how detailed and logical he was. He seemed to know a great deal about what he talked about and usually seemed to have what sounded to me logical reasonable solutions."

IMO: If Senator Mccain stays just a little longer its OK with me if its OK with congress. I think it's good to have checks and balances in place even ones not fully functioning. 

PS: Thanks for the civil conversation on a sticky subject. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.2.29  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Dulay @3.2.23    6 years ago
Please whittle your list down to those votes missed by McCain which would have passed had he voted. 

Oh, that's funny. No I'm not diluting anything. That list shows a complete disregard for the people he represents and is a dereliction of duty.

Once again, I provide links and evidence for you to shrug off. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.2.30  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Dulay @3.2.25    6 years ago
Of course, they could have worked in a bipartisan way all this time and passed compromises but it's obvious that passing legislation to help the country isn't nearly as important to the GOP as one party rule. 

Well, that's too bad to quote John McCain "the democrats have poisoned the well" and to quote your very own Barak Obama "I won".  Unfortunately, because of progressives, the days of compromise are over. You can prepare yourself to be even more outraged this November.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.2.31  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Spikegary @3.2.26    6 years ago
BTW, as an overall observation, I really love watching the Left here now standing up for John McCain,

Yup, it's really a big joke

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.2.32  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @3.2.27    6 years ago

Steve thanks for contributing.
The problem isn't adding rules. Someone with the stature of a United States Senator should have enough integrity and common sense to resign if he/she cannot fulfill their duties.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.2.34  author  Vic Eldred  replied to    6 years ago

I'm only stating the reality. Do you have a solution?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2.35  Texan1211  replied to    6 years ago

Perhaps some people shouldn't renounce their representatives at any level then.

Hard to claim someone doesn't represent you when you had an opportunity to vote someone else into office.

Unless you think everyone who voted for any candidate whoever lost an election are not represented somehow.

Sophomore Guide
3.2.37  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Vic Eldred @3.2.32    6 years ago
Senator should have enough integrity and common sense to resign if he/she cannot fulfill their duties.

Thanks for responding, and I agree. The problem is some don't have that integrity, and unless its a rule you know people... they do it. ( Many do shit regardless of rules or not, but not me.. lol )

I also believe some do it because they really do believe to the bottom of their being it is the "best" thing to do for the good of the nation.  Staying on that is.

I'm not trying to put words in any politicians mouth or even think I know what these politician's ulterior motives are of not stepping down when all indicators point to that would be the best way to go.  I'm sure there are many. 

But, I'm using my own reasoning of why I might feel "Bucking the system" in this way may make enough since to me to do as some of them do, have done in the past and probably will in the future. I doubt this isn't the last time we see a politician not able to fulfill his duties stay in power when otherwise it seems wrong. 

For myself, I think Mccain is staying in as long as he believe he can make a difference that He believes is helpful to the nation.  

Not everyone sees it that way, that ok, to each their own.

Thanks again   

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2.38  Texan1211  replied to    6 years ago

Just because some don't like their reps, or how they are represented, doesn't mean they are not represented.

Sophomore Guide
3.2.40  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Vic Eldred @3.2.34    6 years ago
I'm only stating the reality. Do you have a solution?

I dont know of anyone who knows how to get American politicians compromising again. 

For my part what I've done what I can think of doing, I've dropped my party affiliation so neither party now gets to count me in their number base.

I also research every candidate for all parties and vote for the Person I believe is best qualified for the position they are running for. ( I stopped voting straight party line some time ago recognising that was helping bad politicians get elected.) 

And I try to look at the world we all live in from both sides of the ideological viewpoints myself, before I commit to what I believe to be best way to go on whatever is on the table to be decided for our nation in each endeavor or solution. (Which surprisingly enough many time to me to be somewhere in the middle of both ideologies) 

So far of course, I Don't see a great deal of change in the compromising efforts of our leaders. Perhaps I should also write them another letter.. Its been a while.

lol

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.2.41  Dulay  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.2.29    6 years ago
Once again, I provide links and evidence for you to shrug off. 

Yet you failed to provide the evidence I asked for, which makes your long list irrelevant. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.2.42  Dulay  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.2.30    6 years ago
Well, that's too bad to quote John McCain "the democrats have poisoned the well"

If you're going to hang your hat on McCain's quote, the least you can do is admit that he was only talking about the rest of 2010. That was 4 Congressional session ago...

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.2.43  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Dulay @3.2.41    6 years ago

Oh dear!

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.2.44  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Dulay @3.2.42    6 years ago

I so specified

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.2.45  Dulay  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.2.44    6 years ago

Really? Then why are you throwing that quote out in connection with the 17-18 session? 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.3  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Bob Nelson @3    6 years ago
McCain is nobody.

He's AWL

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4  It Is ME    6 years ago

All I can remember of John McCain right now:

A Dinosaur Senator with a huge EGO,  that should have gotten out of the game a couple years ago. That would have been the RIGHT THING to do, not what he's doing now.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  It Is ME @4    6 years ago

Have you ever served in the military?  My future response depends on how you answer.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @4.1    6 years ago
Have you ever served in the military? 

Why does that matter, and what does that have to do with a Senator that should have given up his seat awhile back.

Dulay
Professor Expert
5  Dulay    6 years ago

Vic, I'd like to get into a discussion with you about your seed but I have a question first. Should I expect to see you lock it after you've availed yourself of the last word but before the discussion has run it's course? 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Dulay @5    6 years ago

This particular discussion will remain open for a while. It's something I feel very strongly about and I will see to it that you get to respond to everything I say.

Dulay
Professor Expert
6  Dulay    6 years ago
I will see to it that you get to respond to everything I say.

That will be a great change of pace. 

So to your posits about McCain.

McCain was well aware that the ACA wasn't 'rammed through Congress' because he PARICIPATED in MONTHS of negotiation, multiple Committee hearings/write ups and hours of debate on the Senate floor. In short, McCain knows from personal experience that the ACA went through 'regular order'.

Which brings me to my second point.

McCain made it CLEAR why he didn't vote for Trumpcare and it goes back to regular order.

McCain wanted the bill to go through the Senate under regular order INSTEAD of being 'rammed through Congress'. In short, McCain wanted the Senate the be run the way it was designed to be run. McCain stated that desire multiple times and implored McConnell to hold hearings and allow amendments. McConnell refused. Thus McCain voted nay, as he said he would. 

Now I don't know about you but I don't elect a representative for him/her to vote in lock step with the 'leadership'. I elect him/her to vote their conscience in the best interest of our community, not the best interest of their party. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.1  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Dulay @6    6 years ago
McCann was well aware that the ACA wasn't 'rammed through Congress' because he PARICIPATED in MONTHS of negotiation, multiple Committee hearings/write ups and hours of debate on the Senate floor. In short, McCann knows from personal experience that the ACA went through 'regular order'.

hum...I seem to recall that he called for non-cooperation after that saying " the democrats poisoned the well"!   Does that ring a bell?

McCann wanted the bill to go through the Senate under  regular order  INSTEAD of being 'rammed through Congress'. In short, McCann wanted the Senate the be run the way it was designed to be run. McCann stated that desire multiple times and implored McConnell to hold hearings and allow amendments. McConnell refused. Thus McCann voted nay, as he said he would. 

oh yes, that was the explanation for tuning his thumb down when his party was depending upon him, however shortly before the vote he said he would vote the way of the Governor of Arizona supported it:

• McCain suggested he might "reluctantly" vote for a new Obamacare replacement bill if Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey supported the legislation — which the governor promptly did.

Now I don't know about you but I don't elect a representative for him/her to vote in lock step with the 'leadership'. I elect him/her to vote their conscience in the best interest of our community, not the best interest of their party. 

So do we all, but my opinion is based on McCain's actions and I believe that everything he's done since election day is revenge driven

Split Personality
Professor Guide
6.1.1  Split Personality  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.1    6 years ago
I believe that everything he's done since election day is revenge driven

Some will say that's a perfect description of the behavior of President Trump.

Jest sayin'...

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.1.2  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Split Personality @6.1.1    6 years ago

How do you arrive at that?

He made campaign promises on Immigration, taxes, deregulation, tariffs & the economy, destroying ISIS, addressing the threats from North Korea & Iran and the appointment of judges who follow the original intent of the Constitution. He's attempting to keep those promises. Where do you see revenge in that?

Dulay
Professor Expert
6.1.3  Dulay  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.1    6 years ago
hum...I seem to recall that he called for non-cooperation after that saying "the democrats poisoned the well"!  Does that ring a bell?

No, not really. How would that support your claim that it was about 'ramming it through Congress'? 

oh yes, that was the explanation for tuning his thumb down when his party was depending upon him, however shortly before the vote he said he would vote the way of the Governor of Arizona supported it: McCain suggested he might "reluctantly" vote for a new Obamacare replacement bill if Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey supported the legislation — which the governor promptly did.

Wow, 'suggested he might', now THAT is a defining statement isn't it? /s

So do we all, but my opinion is based on McCain's actions and I believe that everything he's done since election day is revenge driven

I disagree about McCain's actions. Yet even if that were so, it merely places McCain on a similar emotional level as Trump, who never fails to punch down. 

I also disagree that 'we all' want to elect an 'independent' representative. All too many are more than willing to vote for anyone who vows fealty to Trump even though not one of them KNOW WTF Trump will demand from them from one day to the other.  

Dulay
Professor Expert
6.1.4  Dulay  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.1.2    6 years ago
He made campaign promises on Immigration, taxes, deregulation, tariffs & the economy, destroying ISIS, addressing the threats from North Korea & Iran and the appointment of judges who follow the original intent of the Constitution. He's attempting to keep those promises. Where do you see revenge in that?

When did Trump campaign on 'tariffs' on the EU, Mexico and Canada? Link please? 

BTW, Trump promised to pass the End the Offshoring Act in his first 100 days. That would have put Tariffs on stuff produced by those who offshored jobs. In short, targets at businesses, NOT entire countries. The only ones that have filed a bill anything like it are Democrats and they have NO GOP co-sponsors...

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.1.5  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Dulay @6.1.4    6 years ago
When did Trump campaign on 'tariffs' on the EU, Mexico and Canada?

You have my comment right there. If does not name countries, if that's where you are going. However I am glad to provide a link to the campaign promises Trump made regarding trade and tariffs, which everyone who even casually followed the 2016 campaign would know

Here you are:

" It is hard to understand the public meltdown over Donald Trump’s promised tariffs on nations that  cheat  on trade agreements. This is exactly what he promised during the campaign.

When Trump accepted the Republican nomination for president in Cleveland on July 21, 2016,  he said , “No longer will we enter into these massive deals, with many countries, that are thousands of pages long – and which no one from our country even reads or understands. We are going to enforce all trade violations, including through the use of taxes and tariffs, against any country that cheats.” Tariffs were directly referenced by Republican nominee Trump as a way to punish nations that cheat.

I really don't mind providing all the links which you have habitually asked me and others for. Reviewing an obvious truth really drives home the points being made here.

I especially want to thank you for giving me the excuse to publish all the votes Senator McCain has missed since he has been away from his duties

Dulay
Professor Expert
6.1.6  Dulay  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.1.5    6 years ago
I really don't mind providing all the links which you have habitually asked me and others for. Reviewing an obvious truth really drives home the points being made here.

So your posit is that the EU, Canada and Mexico cheat. Got ya. 

It's total bullshit, but I got ya. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.1.7  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Dulay @6.1.6    6 years ago
So your posit is that the EU, Canada and Mexico cheat.

Cheat?   Their tariffs are built right into the agreements.
Don't you remember when this was a democrat issue? 
It still is for Chuck Schumer. I notice you didn't mention the #1 offender in there - China!
Here:

"Democratic Sen. Chuck Schumer on Sunday praised President Trump for  slapping tariffs on $50 billion worth of Chinese products  and said he urged the chief executive to do this “three weeks ago.”

“Not only do they steal our intellectual property, they keep our good companies out, and say the only way you’re going to be able to sell your American products in China … is if you come to China, make them there, and give us the techniques and intellectual property,” ​the New York lawmaker told John Catsimatidis on his AM-970 radio show."

nypost.com/2018/06/17/schumer-says-he-told-trump-to-impose-china-tariffs-3-weeks-ago/

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.1.8  author  Vic Eldred  replied to  Dulay @6.1.6    6 years ago

So, we learned that it was McCain who started the feud, used obstruction over principle and some here are happy about it.

I'll give you the last word.

This now lengthy seed will be closed at 5:00 PM EST

Thank you all

Dulay
Professor Expert
6.1.9  Dulay  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.1.7    6 years ago
Cheat?   

Your 'evidence' about Trump campaigning on tariffs stated that he would use them against countries that 'cheat' did it not Vic? Yep, says it right there. 

BTW, the irony of citing one statement by Trump on his ever changing position is galactic. 

Their tariffs are built right into the agreements.

Exactly HOW is it 'cheating' if a country is FOLLOWING the provisions 'built into' a decades old trade AGREEMENT Vic? Please explain.

Oh and BTFW, you realize that NAFTA has 'built in' tariffs on IMPORTS of specific goods into the US too right? RIGHT? 

Don't you remember when this was a democrat issue?  It still is for Chuck Schumer. I notice you didn't mention the #1 offender in there - China!

Why are you deflecting? My question was about the tariffs Trump foisted on the EU, Canada and Mexico, Trump DID NOT campaign on those tariffs. 

BTFW, I remember that Trump bitched ad nauseum about China being a currency manipulator and PROMISING, that in his first 100 days, he would direct the Treasury to label them as such. So far, NADA and suddenly, China's leader is Trump's buddy and they 'get along great'. So much so that Trump tried to reverse the decision by the IC to sanction ZTE to save jobs in China despite it's threat to national security. You can't make this shit up...

Dulay
Professor Expert
6.1.10  Dulay  replied to  Vic Eldred @6.1.8    6 years ago
So, we learned that it was McCain who started the feud, used obstruction over principle and some here are happy about it.

Why are you making a 'statement of facts' that you've failed to prove by anything that you've posted? Bad Form.

BTFW, your statement makes it clear that you're more pissed about McCain actually voting then you are about him not being there to vote...

I'll give you the last word.

Then my last word would have to be that you were unwilling and/or incapable of documenting that McCain's absence from the Senate has had any effect on the passage of GOP legislation or conformations and therefore the posit of your seed is a total failure. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
7  author  Vic Eldred    6 years ago

Thank you, the pleasure was mine