╌>

Sen. John McCain, independent voice of the GOP establishment, dies at 81

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  6 years ago  •  45 comments

Sen. John McCain, independent voice of the GOP establishment, dies at 81
"With the Senator when he passed were his wife Cindy and their family," McCain's office said in a statement.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

John McCain, who shed a playboy image in his youth to become a fighter pilot, revered prisoner of war and both an independent voice in the Republican Party and its 2008 presidential nominee, died on Saturday, little more than a year after he was told he had brain cancer. He was 81.

McCain’s office said in a statement "Senator John Sidney McCain III died at 4:28 p.m. on August 25, 2018." He announced on July 19, 2017, that he had been diagnosed with a   glioblastoma , an aggressive type of brain tumor. On Friday his family announced he was   discontinuing treatment .

"With the Senator when he passed were his wife Cindy and their family. At his death, he had served the United States of America faithfully for sixty years," McCain's office said in the statement.

His daughter, Meghan McCain, said in a statement that "I was with my father at his end, as he was with me at my beginning."

"All that I am is thanks to him. Now that he is gone, the task of my lifetime is to live up to his example, his expectations, and his love,” she said.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    6 years ago

A very sad day indeed. John McCan gave his life for his country. May his family have peace at this time. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.1  Split Personality  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    6 years ago

Today is the 9the anniversary of Ted Kennedy's passing from the same disease.

Sad day.

Both Senators were known for compromise and ignoring political party lines.

Fair winds and following seas, Senator.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    6 years ago

Condolences to his family and a thank you for his military service, but I am not going to lionize him.
He will be missed far more by democrats than Republicans:

Quinnipiac University Poll/August 2, 2017 – page 2
American voters give Arizona Sen. John McCain a 57 – 32 percent favorability rating,
with a 74 – 18 percent positive score from Democrats and a 60 – 28 percent positive rating from
independent voters. Republicans give McCain a negative 39 – 49 percent rating.

Now the Governor of Arizona must appoint a replacement, who must be a Republican and who shall serve until 2020 at which point a special election will be held for the last 2 years of McCain's term.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.2.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.2    6 years ago

Vic,

I will have to disagree with you. As an independent I see him as an not an idealog but a person who was not afraid to take a stand for what he believed. 

And you should know never to believe a poll winking

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.2.1    6 years ago

He was definitely not an ideologue, I'll grant you that.

Rmando
Sophomore Silent
2  Rmando    6 years ago

RIP Senator McCain

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     6 years ago

Senator McCain was a true American patriot. Agree with his politics or not, he was a man beyond just politics. 

Senator McCain has walked on, he is now on the path of souls, may his ancestors guide him and the Creator smile on him. 

As a strong advocate and defender of Native people it is fitting that Taps is played in front of the Vietnam Wall by a Native American playing a flute. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Kavika @3    6 years ago

That was beautiful. 

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
3.2  dave-2693993  replied to  Kavika @3    6 years ago

So be it.

epistte
Junior Guide
4  epistte    6 years ago

RIP Senator McCain. You stayed sane while the rest of the GOP went off the cliff. History will remember your public service well, both in government in the military.

I hate cancer.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  epistte @4    6 years ago

It was just a week ago that I lost my friend to cancer and I have a friend who died of the same kind of brain cancer. He really fought bravely. 

pat wilson
Professor Participates
4.1.1  pat wilson  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.1    6 years ago

Beau Biden died from that too. There's a touching video from Dec 2017 online where Joe offers comforting words to Megan McCain. 

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
4.1.2  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.1    6 years ago

Sorry for the loss Perrie,  Yep the will to survive is strong. May your friend RIP and may you move forward to only happy memories in time.

Thanks for sharing.  

epistte
Junior Guide
4.1.3  epistte  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.1    6 years ago
It was just a week ago that I lost my friend to cancer and I have a friend who died of the same kind of brain cancer. He really fought bravely. 

My father died of brain cancer in July of 1982. It was less than 90 from the diagnosis to when he died. My grandfather died of brain cancer about 6 months before I was born.  My oldest sister died of breast cancer last September.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
4.1.4  Skrekk  replied to  pat wilson @4.1.1    6 years ago
Beau Biden died from that too.

It's not a good way to go.   Brittany Maynard's glioblastoma is why California finally passed a "right to die" bill but unfortunately a court struck it down due to a procedural error in its passage.

GaJenn78
Sophomore Silent
4.1.6  GaJenn78  replied to  epistte @4.1.3    6 years ago

I'm so sorry :-(. My sister got dx with stage 4 breast cancer 4 years ago at the age of 32, my niece was 6 at the time.  She beat it, but the tx and surgeries she endured has wrecked havoc on her young body. She can no longer raise her arm above her head because of the radiation and the surgery to remove a lymph node. Cancer really sucks!!!

MrFrost
Professor Expert
5  MrFrost    6 years ago

A true American hero who devoted his life to public service and always put country before party.

RIP Sir.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
6  MrFrost    6 years ago

Obama and George W. Bush will deliver the eulogies. Our current POTUS is not invited, per the McCain family.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
7  bbl-1    6 years ago

McCain was an honest, honorable man.  He was also a man with enough strength to admit his mistakes.

Didn't always agree with him, but my disagreements did not make him less honest or honorable.

As a fellow Vietnam Veteran, I salute Sen. John McCain.

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
7.1  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  bbl-1 @7    6 years ago
McCain was an honest, honorable man.  He was also a man with enough strength to admit his mistakes. Didn't always agree with him, but my disagreements did not make him less honest or honorable.

I'd say that was about as good as it gets for a politician. Thanks for your post. I agree 100 %.

CB
Professor Principal
7.2  CB  replied to  bbl-1 @7    6 years ago

As a fellow veteran, I salute Sen. John McCain.

shona1
PhD Quiet
8  shona1    6 years ago

A/noon..His passing is felt across this side of the Pacific too..He was regarded as a good and decent man.....Sympathy to his family and to the American people...regardless of which side of Politics you sit...

"US Senator and former Republican presidential candidate John McCain has been remembered as a "true friend of Australia" by new Prime Minister Scott Morrison".

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
9  Raven Wing    6 years ago

May the beloved "Maverick" of America RIP as his Spirit moves on to the next steps of his own eternal journey. The man he was left behind an extraordinary example of the meaning of bravery, courage, respect and devotion to his Country. 

May his Spirit soar like an Eagle.

nv-wa-do-hi-ya-dv (Peace)

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
9.1  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Raven Wing @9    6 years ago

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
9.1.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @9.1    6 years ago

Thanks Galen.  A beautiful video, and tribute. 

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
9.1.2  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Raven Wing @9.1.1    6 years ago

blushing

Silent_Hysteria
Freshman Silent
11  Silent_Hysteria    6 years ago

I know when he said he was going to stop treatment the end was close, but damn.  That was quick.  I swear I thought I saw him doing an interview Friday and he looked good all things considered.  Thoughts go out to his family.  

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
12  Galen Marvin Ross    6 years ago
"With the Senator when he passed were his wife Cindy and their family. At his death, he had served the United States of America faithfully for sixty years," McCain's office said in the statement.

Sixty years of service, an amazing legacy.

cjfrommn
Professor Silent
14  cjfrommn    6 years ago

I woke up this morning thinking how many times i heard Mr. McCain's input on political stuff over my years on this planet. And for every thought i could remember, there was something that sums them up to me, considerate and compassionate, compromise" 

His years in public office he did have drama filled disagreements, he didn't drag other issues into the main issue he may have made a topic for discussions on the floor. He didn't sling crap about fellow senators private personality traits or talk behind there back or call them something just because he didn't agree with them. 

So i will so miss his attention to detail, his love for the fight and yet his compassion to come to resolutions respectfully. I send my wishes to his family that his passing allows for positive closure when such a negative disease strikes.

I also know they should be proud of how he stood, what he did accomplish and know that his legacy wont be matched for a very very long time!! 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
15  Sean Treacy    6 years ago

A true American Patriot.  He sacrificed a lot of himself for this country, and it's a better place for his service.   

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
17  Galen Marvin Ross    6 years ago

In his last year in office McCain was the "Lone voice in the wilderness" in the GOP speaking out against policies that he knew would fail or, that were bad for the country, he will be missed in this Senate and, I think that he will be missed by Senates and, Americans in the future. Men like him rarely come along and, when they do, they need to be remembered.

I'm thinking of a line that is regularly said by a character on a TV show that I like, somehow it seems to fit here today, "and, yet I smile". The character says this line whenever something tragic happens on the show. I say today, "and, yet we must smile" to celebrate this life, this man, this Patriot.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
19  Spikegary    6 years ago

Rest in Peace, brother.  You served your country the best you knew how.  That is all that can be asked of a person.

GaJenn78
Sophomore Silent
20  GaJenn78    6 years ago

RIP Senator. Thank you for your many years of service to our country!

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
21  1stwarrior    6 years ago

May not have agreed with all his policies, but will state that when he was on the American Indian Commission, he did some super fine work at trying to heal the wounds between the Tribes/Nations and Fed government.

RIP Senator McCain.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
22  Sparty On    6 years ago

Did not agree with him much of the time but ALWAYS respected him.   Like all of us he was a flawed human being, who fought the good fight his entire life.   Little known facts about Senator McCain:

- He graduated fifth from the bottom of class at the Naval Academy.   Obviously not good but it didn't seem to matter

- He almost died in 67 on the USS Forrestal "nicknamed the Forest Fire after that" when a zuni rocket accidentally went off on deck and hit his or near his jet.   He climbed out of the cockpit on fire, put himself out and proceeded to help other aviators and sailors before seeking help himself

- A Soviet Army officer later claimed he was the radar operator of the missile that shot McCain down.   Significant since the Soviets never admitted to having personnel in Vietnam but it was long thought they did.

- Like many Americans his family had a military history going waaaay back to the Revolutionary war and included men who served in the Confederate army

RIP peace sailor, your watch is now over ..... you earned your permanent leave, time to rest .....

Semper Fi

T.Fargo
Freshman Silent
23  T.Fargo    6 years ago

It's a shame the President hasn't ordered flags lowered to half staff.   Many homes I pass on the way to work were honoring his memory as such, regardless. 

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."  Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
23.1  Spikegary  replied to  T.Fargo @23    6 years ago

They were lowered over the weekend in honor of Senator McCain.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
24  Galen Marvin Ross    6 years ago

Senator John McCain is yelling at the top of his lungs today with his funeral and, the way he set things up, Chuck Schumer and, Mitch McConnell were asked by him to lay the wreath at the head of his casket, by McCain before he died, George W. Bush and, Barack Obama, two of his political opponents during his campaigns for president are giving his Eulogy today because they were friends of his. What McCain is saying today is, "Quit yer bitchin' you stupid people and, work together and, don't give this guy in the White House the time of day." and, that is what we need to do.