╌>

The Left's Perverse Idea of 'American Exceptionalism'

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  heartland-american  •  6 years ago  •  43 comments

The Left's Perverse Idea of 'American Exceptionalism'
"America represents something universal in the human spirit. I received a letter not long ago from a man who said, 'You can go to Japan to live, but you cannot become Japanese. You can go to France to live and not become a Frenchman. You can go to live in Germany or Turkey, and you won't become a German or a Turk.' But then he added, 'Anybody from any corner of the world can come to America to live and become an American.'" If Gosling was actually saying this, his comments would make a lot...

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Perhaps the strangest thing in modern discourse is that anytime something bad in our country's history is mentioned, the left paints it as uniquely American. Yet, anytime there is a remarkable and heroic event, the left ascertains it was an achievement accomplished by all of humanity. This was evidenced yet again by Hollywood’s portrayal of Neil Armstrong landing on the moon in 1969 as a "human achievement" and deciding to omit the iconic scene of Neil Armstrong planting the American flag in outer space in an upcoming movie, First Man.

As Cortney covered yesterday Ryan Gosling, the Canadian actor who portrays Armstrong in the film, told the media, "I think this was widely regarded in the end as a human achievement [and] that's how we chose to view it. I also think Neil was extremely humble, as were many of these astronauts, and time and time again he deferred the focus from himself to the 400,000 people who made the mission possible."

"He was reminding everyone that he was just the tip of the iceberg - and that's not just to be humble, that's also true," Gosling continued defending the decision. "So I don't think that Neil viewed himself as an American hero. From my interviews with his family and people that knew him, it was quite the opposite. And we wanted the film to reflect Neil."

Well according to American hero Chuck Yeager (keyword being American, Ryan), that depiction of Armstrong could not be further from the truth. Responding to multiple tweets, Yeager said that this movie was "Hollywood make-believe" and "that's not the Neil Armstrong I knew." Obviously, it does not take Chuck Yeager saying Armstrong was indeed an American hero to indicate that the first man on the moon was the direct result of American ingenuity, but thankfully he did. However, this whole ordeal speaks far to more to the insanity of the left than anything else. For whatever reason, liberals believe that America, for all intent and purposes, introduced original sin into the world. The left's revisionism of American history, therefore, is no surprise. The fact that they are now distorting an American hero is not all that bizarre either. But, it seems different this time. 

Typically, when Hollywood and liberals discuss American history in movies, literature, and television it is presented as a past filled with racist bigots who slaughtered Indians, enslaved millions, and caused virtually every problem seen throughout the world. It seems more often than not the left actually does believe that slavery originated in America, that racism solely occurs in America, and that America is the only nation to ever engage in war and other atrocities. So finally, the left produces a positive movie about an American hero and what do they do? They strip away arguably the most integral part of Armstrong -- his American identity. Wouldn't this be considered cultural appropriation in any other situation? Aren't Disney movies criticized for taking characters such as Mulan and making her too generic and not quite Chinese enough? Aren't Cinco de Mayo celebrations on college campuses lambasted as hate-filled slugfests because 20-year-old white chicks don a sombrero and drink a Corona? The answer is yes, they are because the left believes that those situations are stealing different cultures' heritages. 

So, then how is a Canadian playing an American hero who accomplished something based on the boldness and creativeness of American public servants, scientists, and paid for by taxpayer dollars but saying his achievements were a humanitarian effort and not that of the United States anything but cultural appropriation? 

Humor me for a moment. Let's give Ryan Gosling the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps he meant that in the American ideal of "E Pluribus Unum" (out of many one, for those who never learned this mantra) anybody from around the world could come to America and adopt our ideals and someday accomplish something like Armstrong. After all, as Ronald Reagan said, "America represents something universal in the human spirit. I received a letter not long ago from a man who said, 'You can go to Japan to live, but you cannot become Japanese. You can go to France to live and not become a Frenchman. You can go to live in Germany or Turkey, and you won't become a German or a Turk.' But then he added, 'Anybody from any corner of the world can come to America to live and become an American.'"

If Gosling was actually saying this, his comments would make a lot of sense. No other country in the world has dedicated as much of itself to helping its fellow man, sacrificing, nor promoting freedom as America has. Indeed, if Gosling were to view Armstrong as an American hero he would understand the moon landing was "an achievement" for all of mankind but not because of all mankind. It was an achievement because as President John F. Kennedy noted, more than any other country, Americans choose to do daring tasks not because they are easy, but because they are hard. In the bold tradition of American pioneers, our nation's heroes daring pursuits have benefited mankind far more than any other nation on Earth. Our accomplishments of said tasks push mankind to better heights. It is that boldness which makes America exceptional. But, the left refuses to highlight that in entertainment. Liberals believe America is unique only in its downfalls. Our exceptionalism lies within our faults, not within our triumphs according to the left. This thinking will ultimately do more damage in the long run for mankind than whatever fears liberals have about embracing true American exceptionalism. Yet, for a conservative, recognizing and honoring true American heroes like Armstrong as the embodiment of this exceptionalism rightly portrays our nation as a shining city on a hill for all of mankind to look to for guidance.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1  seeder  XXJefferson51    6 years ago

"So I don't think that Neil viewed himself as an American hero. From my interviews with his family and people that knew him, it was quite the opposite. And we wanted the film to reflect Neil."

Well according to American hero Chuck Yeager (keyword being American, Ryan), that depiction of Armstrong could not be further from the truth. Responding to multiple tweets, Yeager said that this movie was "Hollywood make-believe" and "that's not the Neil Armstrong I knew." Obviously, it does not take Chuck Yeager saying Armstrong was indeed an American hero to indicate that the first man on the moon was the direct result of American ingenuity, but thankfully he did. However, this whole ordeal speaks far to more to the insanity of the left than anything else. For whatever reason, liberals believe that America, for all intent and purposes, introduced original sin into the world. The left's revisionism of American history, therefore, is no surprise. The fact that they are now distorting an American hero is not all that bizarre either. But, it seems different this time. 

Typically, when Hollywood and liberals discuss American history in movies, literature, and television it is presented as a past filled with racist bigots who slaughtered Indians, enslaved millions, and caused virtually every problem seen throughout the world. It seems more often than not the left actually does believe that slavery originated in America, that racism solely occurs in America, and that America is the only nation to ever engage in war and other atrocities. So finally, the left produces a positive movie about an American hero and what do they do? They strip away arguably the most integral part of Armstrong -- his American identity.“

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1    6 years ago

If somebody wants a movie filled with nationalistic symbolism and patriotic rituals, they're free to make one. Here's a handy  template that won't need much modernization for those most concerned with addressing that perceived slight.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
1.1.1  Skrekk  replied to  devangelical @1.1    6 years ago

I just love the irony about HA's whining about "American exceptionalism" in the context of a space program built almost entirely by Nazi scientists and which is now reliant on Russian rockets which were developed by the Soviets.    The dude must be tone deaf to both irony and hypocrisy.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.2  devangelical  replied to  Skrekk @1.1.1    6 years ago
be tone deaf to both irony and hypocrisy

a teapublican requisite, both politically and spiritually.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2  Bob Nelson    6 years ago

Another "I invent a straw man and then I demolish it" seed from HA. Who never seeds anything else.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Bob Nelson @2    6 years ago

Is this your latest spam across my seeds to avoid having to talk about the actual subject covered by the seeded article?  

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.1.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1    6 years ago

No.

It is a commentary that is specific to this seed, in that I clearly describe the seed as a "straw man" which it most certainly is.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.2  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Bob Nelson @2.1.1    6 years ago

A straw man for what exactly?  I’m sure than non Americans don’t care that a movie about a uniquely American accomplishment achieved by genuine American heroes is stripped of all that is American. We who are Americans and are proud of our exceptional nations great Accomplishments are offended by this cultural appropriation of our history.   American progressives are showing their true colors by taking our colors out of this movie.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.3  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Bob Nelson @2.1.1    6 years ago

No, it’s not.  You spammed the exact same words to my other seed from yesterday as well.  [deleted]

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
2.1.4  Skrekk  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1.2    6 years ago

Your continued whining about a US flag not appearing in a movie isn't merely pathetic, it's quite amusing given that the US space program was entirely dependent on 1600 German scientists like Wernher Von Braun.....and today the US needs to rent Russian rockets to get anywhere.

Perhaps the flags which should be shown in the movie are Russia's and the Nazi Swastika?    Certainly our Fuhrer would support that.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.1.7  Bob Nelson  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1.3    6 years ago

[Removed]

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
2.1.8  arkpdx  replied to  Skrekk @2.1.4    6 years ago

You have a fuhrer?  Wow what country do you live in? Here in the United States of America  we have a President .

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.9  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Skrekk @2.1.4    6 years ago

The seething contempt of America and all she has ever stood for just oozes out of the words of that post...tough guyeek

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
2.1.10  lennylynx  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1.9    6 years ago

Lol!  That's what oozes out of everything you ever post.  Your blogs are sickening.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.11  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to    6 years ago

of course we know that there were no former German scientists in Russia post World War Two.  And yet we somehow built the Atom bomb before the war ended and before the Russians did.  And of course there was no space race to get a man on the moon first between us and the Russians.  It was all one co operative human effort that US President Kennedy set us toward before 1970, right?  Not!  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.12  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  arkpdx @2.1.8    6 years ago

And a great President as well!  thumbs upapplausela de da

pat wilson
Professor Participates
2.1.13  pat wilson  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1.12    6 years ago

Yes, JFK was.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.14  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  pat wilson @2.1.13    6 years ago

He was.  Key word being was.  The person I was responding to was referring to our current President and he is, key word is, great! 

cjcold
Professor Quiet
2.1.15  cjcold  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1.3    6 years ago

I refuse to believe that I am not as exceptional as I'm sure I am!

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
2.2  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Bob Nelson @2    6 years ago

I love it when you "burn" a strawman.

burning a strawman.jpg

devangelical
Professor Principal
4  devangelical    6 years ago

The number of indicted criminals associated with the current administration is pretty exceptional.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
5  MrFrost    6 years ago

Another sweeping generalization article. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  MrFrost @5    6 years ago

Explain yourself.  Clearly Resl Clear Politics found it to be a well thought out article that was making a valid point.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.1.2  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to    6 years ago

It would be a useless gesture.  Sad but true.  

cjcold
Professor Quiet
5.1.3  cjcold  replied to  XXJefferson51 @5.1.2    6 years ago

Aren't you used to useless gestures?

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
6  bbl-1    6 years ago

Absolutely!  Those damn perverse people and their damn demands that, "Nobody should face bankruptcy because they got sick!"

And another thing.  Why is it when a conservative gives accolades to a great American or accomplishment, other conservatives immediately imply that-that action is denigrated by others without names.

American Exceptionalism?  Conservatism uses that 'catch phrase' with utmost consistency but has yet to describe or define what 'that exceptionalism' was, is supposed to be, or where it can be found.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
7  cjcold    6 years ago

American exceptionalism means killing more of them than they killed of us.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1  Texan1211  replied to  cjcold @7    6 years ago

Seems like most of the free world had no problems with us killing more of them when we were saving their asses.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
8  Thrawn 31    6 years ago

American Exceptionalism in my mind is the overall desire of the country to do better, to be better. Doesn't really matter the issue, Americans, as a whole, always try to do better than their ancestors did. 

At least I used to think that.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
8.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Thrawn 31 @8    6 years ago

Why used to?  Do you condition love of country with whether your side won the last election or not?

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
8.1.1  bbl-1  replied to  XXJefferson51 @8.1    6 years ago

Another conservative fail.  Always bringing up 'the side thing.'  An unabashed admittance that the nation is fractured.  "Lock her up!"  Indeed.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
8.1.2  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  bbl-1 @8.1.1    6 years ago

Too bad most conservatives aren’t going to go see this movie. It’s a good thing there are a few good people and studios down there.  At least we have PureFlix and Affirm films to get quality entertainment from.  

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
9  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu     6 years ago

The Left's Perverse Idea Of 'American Exceptionalism'

Wa Wa Wa !!!

Does someone need their comfort puppy !

O the left controls it all.....LOL

An nasum !!