╌>

The Justice Department Was Behind The Decision To Keep 100,000 Pages Of Kavanaugh’s Record Secret

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  bob-nelson  •  6 years ago  •  445 comments

The Justice Department Was Behind The Decision To Keep 100,000 Pages Of Kavanaugh’s Record Secret
"[T]he White House and the Department of Justice have identified certain documents of the type traditionally protected by constitutional privilege," Burck wrote.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Both career lawyers and political appointees reviewed records from some of the Supreme Court nominee's time working in the White House, a source said.

Untitled.png After two days of questions about how it was decided that more than 100,000 pages of Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh's White House work would be withheld from the Senate Judiciary Committee's review, the Justice Department took responsibility for the decision on Monday night.

Attorney General Jeff Sessions
Allison Shelley / Reuters

"The Department of Justice, which has advised both Democratic and Republican administrations on the application of the Presidential Records Act and constitutional privileges, was responsible for determining which documents were produced to the Senate Judiciary Committee," Justice Department spokesperson Sarah Isgur Flores said.

The Washington Post and Fox News first reported the acknowledgement earlier Monday evening — the eve of the start of Kavanaugh's confirmation hearing. The acknowledgement fits with what a source familiar with the process told BuzzFeed News.

The news that the documents were being kept from the public and the committee was reported on Friday night, when the lawyer overseeing the review sent a letter to congressional leaders about the final status of his review. The development was just the latest step in a series of fights over the millions of documents from Kavanaugh's time working in George W. Bush's White House from 2001 until when he was confirmed to his seat on the US Court of Appeals for the DC Circuit.

The office of former president Bush has been producing some of those documents to the committee in advance of the hearing — a decision that went outside of the usual process for congressional requests under the Presidential Records Act, which is handled by the National Archives.

Instead, lawyers for Bush, led by William Burck of Quinn Emanuel, reviewed the documents requested and then provided the presidential records they found to the Justice Department for review.

"[T]he White House and the Department of Justice have identified certain documents of the type traditionally protected by constitutional privilege," Burck wrote. "The White House, after consultation with the Department of Justice, has directed that we not provide these documents for this reason."

None of those involved — the Justice Department, the White House, or Burck — provided on-the-record comment over the weekend about who made those decisions, beyond what was contained in Burck's letter.

According to the source familiar with the process, both career lawyers and political appointees in the Justice Department's Office of Legal Counsel and Office of Legal Policy reviewed those documents, electronically tagging the documents that they believed should not be turned over as "withhold for executive privilege."

Ultimately, that decision was reached with 27,110 documents, amounting to 101,921 pages.

Although Bush could, theoretically, force the Trump administration to go to court to assert privilege to keep the documents under wraps, Burck made clear in his letter that Bush would not force such a step, writing, "[W]e have deferred to the White House, in consultation with the Department of Justice, on any documents not provided on constitutional privilege grounds."

Maintaining the line advanced by the White House and Senate Judiciary Committee Chair Chuck Grassley, DOJ's Flores noted, "The volume, depth, and breadth of the production of Judge Kavanaugh’s documents far surpasses the much smaller and narrower productions for previous nominees."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
1  seeder  Bob Nelson    6 years ago

What's a hundred thousand pages, more or less... ?

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
1.2  A. Macarthur  replied to  Bob Nelson @1    6 years ago

The REALITY IS THAT SOME 90% of the requested documents are being withheld from Senate!

ONLY 10% of the body of Kavanaugh's work has been released!

WHY?!!!

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
1.2.1  seeder  Bob Nelson  replied to  A. Macarthur @1.2    6 years ago
The REALITY IS THAT SOME 90% of the requested documents are being withheld from Senate!

Trust them!

Just TRUST them!

Thumbs Down 2

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
1.2.3  A. Macarthur  replied to    6 years ago

Don't you dare to post even a cartoon accusing me of being a liar!

Conservative Trumpians will do anything to save their Great White Hope from justice whether or not he has sold out his country and lied thousands of times! Only religionists, white nationalists and the worst among Americans would want a Supreme Court appointee who would likely protect a criminal POTUS from subpoena, indictment and A DAY IN COURT FOR AMERICAN DEMOCRACY!

In your depraved bias and ignorance of the facts, instead of making a viable rebuttal, you resort to a cartoon … so much like your Jess Willard hero! 

As a point of "personal privilege," I ask that no one flag nor remove the literally and figuratively intellectually-cartoonish insult to which I have referenced. Let it stand for all to see where we are today in America!

Tacos!
Professor Guide
1.2.4  Tacos!  replied to  A. Macarthur @1.2    6 years ago

But it's not 90% of the documents available that would be relevant and informative about his worthiness to be on the Supreme Court. The documents from his time in the White House are the least important documents available. There are many thousands of pages of written legal opinion from the nominee. The people obsessed with White House documents clearly intend to ignore that most relevant evidence.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
1.2.5  A. Macarthur  replied to  Tacos! @1.2.4    6 years ago
But it's not 90% of the documents available that would be relevant and informative about his worthiness to be on the Supreme Court.

There's no fucking way you or anyone else knows that without knowing what's in the withheld documents!

Tacos!
Professor Guide
1.2.6  Tacos!  replied to  A. Macarthur @1.2.5    6 years ago
There's no fucking way you or anyone else knows that without knowing what's in the withheld documents!

No, I don't. But I do know what's not in there: Legal opinions in Kavanaugh's capacity as judge and an 800 page book on legal precedent written by him. That's the kind of evidence that matters to me when considering a nominee to a court. You can count as many documents as you like. None will be as relevant as official legal opinion or legal teaching like his book.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
1.2.8  Skrekk  replied to  Tacos! @1.2.4    6 years ago
The documents from his time in the White House are the least important documents available.

Actually it's a critical time since it would reveal his views about the limits of executive power, specifically things like whether torture is permissible even when it's prohibited by the constitution, by statute and by treaty, etc.

It's not a surprise that those are the documents which a torture advocate like Trump doesn't want the Senate to see, particularly the truly bad judicial appointments which occurred during the Bush regime (like Jay Bybee, one of the torture conspirators who now sits on the 9th CoA).

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.9  Texan1211  replied to  Skrekk @1.2.8    6 years ago

Yeah, probably no one could tell anything about Kavanaugh based on his 300+ written decisions, 13 of which were upheld by SCOTUS.

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.2.10  bugsy  replied to  Tacos! @1.2.4    6 years ago

Maybe some of the documents are about wedding plans and dance lessons. That means they are personal, and to liberals, there is no need to release them.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.12  Texan1211  replied to  bugsy @1.2.10    6 years ago

Maybe he exchanged cookie recipes?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
1.2.14  Tacos!  replied to  Skrekk @1.2.8    6 years ago
it would reveal his views about

I don't believe it matters what it reveals about his views on anything. No one who who wants to see these documents has any intention of voting for him. Or is it your position that the Democrats on the committee are looking for reasons to approve Kavanaugh?

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
1.2.15  Skrekk  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.9    6 years ago
Yeah, probably no one could tell anything about Kavanaugh based on his 300+ written decisions, 13 of which were upheld by SCOTUS.

How exactly is that responsive to my comment?

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
1.2.16  Skrekk  replied to  Tacos! @1.2.14    6 years ago
Or is it your position that the Democrats on the committee are looking for reasons to approve Kavanaugh?

I think they're trying to do their job and fully vet and evaluate the nominee.   There's no reason at all that any relevant documents should be withheld from the judiciary committee.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.17  Texan1211  replied to  Skrekk @1.2.15    6 years ago

If you really need that explained, then I see no point in  it.

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.2.18  Dulay  replied to  Tacos! @1.2.4    6 years ago
But it's not 90% of the documents available that would be relevant and informative about his worthiness to be on the Supreme Court.

You know this HOW? 

The documents from his time in the White House are the least important documents available. There are many thousands of pages of written legal opinion from the nominee. The people obsessed with White House documents clearly intend to ignore that most relevant evidence.

During that time period, the WH was dealing with torture, warrantless wiretaps, Guantanamo Bay, habeas corpus and indefinite detention of AMERICAN CITIZENS. I can't imagine there is anyone who doesn't think that those issues are important. The FEW documents that were released prove that Kavanaugh WAS involved with back and forth discussion on legal questions and documented HIS opinion. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
1.2.19  Tacos!  replied to  Dulay @1.2.18    6 years ago
You know this HOW?

Just math. The committee already has over 500,000 pages of documents for this hearing. Unless the committee has asked for 5 million pages (it hasn't) then 90% of the documents aren't missing.

By the way, it appears to be undisputed that the amount of documentation for Kavanaugh exceeds that of the last five nominees combined. So the claim that they don't have enough information looks pretty silly.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
1.2.20  A. Macarthur  replied to    6 years ago
the emoji is there to use, to imply that the statement is false or not true,  but that I am prohibited from using it??? That really doesn't make sense. Is it OK to say I don't believe that your comment was truthful. Your response is a bit bullying and a tad threatening. I'd like Perrie's input on this one.

Be it via the written or spoken word, or a cartoon, when you allege someone has lied … THE BURDEN OF PROOF IS ON YOU THE ACCUSER! 

You imply I'm a liar then, upon calling you on it, you call my response "a bit bullying and a tad threatening," really?

If/when you believe a falsehood or outright lie has been posted, you have every right to either correct the record via specific rebuttal/refutation, and/or to simply state that you question the accuracy of what's been posted; but implying whatever you don't happen to agree with is the statement of a liar … those are "fighting words."

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.2.21  Dulay  replied to  Tacos! @1.2.19    6 years ago
Just math. The committee already has over 500,000 pages of documents for this hearing. Unless the committee has asked for 5 million pages (it hasn't) then 90% of the documents aren't missing.

My question is not about the 'number missing', it is about your characterization that the missing documents would NOT be relevant and informative about his worthiness to be on the Supreme Court.

How do you know THAT? 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.2.22  Sparty On  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.12    6 years ago

Mmmmm  ....  Snickerdoodles ......

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
1.2.23  Spikegary  replied to  Skrekk @1.2.16    6 years ago

Well, since many stated they would vote against him from the day he was nominated, I have to say, your comment doesn't hold water.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
1.2.24  MrFrost  replied to  bugsy @1.2.10    6 years ago
Maybe some of the documents are about wedding plans and dance lessons.

Could be, but why hide them? 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.25  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @1.2.24    6 years ago

[deleted]

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
1.2.26  A. Macarthur  replied to  bugsy @1.2.10    6 years ago

Maybe when there’s nothing but mockery in one’s argument, one should remain silent.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
1.3  Tacos!  replied to  Bob Nelson @1    6 years ago
What's a hundred thousand pages, more or less... ?

It could have been zero, ya know.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     6 years ago

The 100,000 pages not made available beg the question, what are they hiding....

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.1  seeder  Bob Nelson  replied to  Kavika @2    6 years ago

Kavanagh worked for Bush, who made torture legal. We need to know what Kavanagh did.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.3  Tacos!  replied to  Kavika @2    6 years ago
The 100,000 pages not made available beg the question, what are they hiding....

The request for such documents makes me ask "why don't they want to look at the 300 legal opinions he has written?" It also makes me ask "what's wrong with the 500,000 pages of documents they already have?"

Chances are the stuff not released is either classified or confidential, and most of them are probably not even written by him.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
2.3.1  Skrekk  replied to  Tacos! @2.3    6 years ago
The request for such documents makes me ask "why don't they want to look at the 300 legal opinions he has written?"

Sounds like you don't know much about the structure of our government since those are readily available to the Senate.    No need to ask our Fuhrer to provide them.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.3.2  Texan1211  replied to  Skrekk @2.3.1    6 years ago

Who is your magical, mythical Fuhrer, and why do you chose to live in a country under a Fuhrer?

is your country Skrekkville?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.3.3  Tacos!  replied to  Skrekk @2.3.1    6 years ago
Sounds like you don't know much about the structure of our government since those are readily available to the Senate.

Oh my God, that's dumb. Of course I know that.

The point was: why are those readily available decisions insufficient for rendering a decision on whether or not Kavanaugh would make a good judge?

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
2.3.4  Skrekk  replied to  Tacos! @2.3.3    6 years ago
The point was: why are those readily available decisions insufficient for rendering a decision on whether or not Kavanaugh would make a good judge?

Ummmm......because they're not relevant to his unusual views about executive power, nor do they pertain to his role in the WH on the decision to illegally torture prisoners.

We already know that at least one GOP nominee slipped through the Senate's confirmation process despite being a key member of Bush's torture conspiracy.    Members of the judiciary committee have previously said that Bybee never would have been confirmed had they known of his role, so it's important to be much more careful with Kavanaugh......particularly since both Bush and Trump are advocates of torture.

At the very least the public can assume that Kavanaugh was part of Bush's criminal torture conspiracy and is thus unqualified to be a judge of any kind, given what we already know of his role regarding the treatment of prisoners..

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.3.5  Tacos!  replied to  Skrekk @2.3.4    6 years ago
At the very least the public can assume

Fortunately, we don't do justice in this country based on partisan assumptions.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
2.3.6  A. Macarthur  replied to  Tacos! @2.3    6 years ago

Uh ... wrong.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.3.7  Tacos!  replied to  A. Macarthur @2.3.6    6 years ago

We're not supposed to, at any rate.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4  Sean Treacy    6 years ago

Never underestimate the power of the Democrats to get their parrots to speak on demand.

Immediately after announcing they would vote against Kavanaugh, the Democrats made the silly request for hundreds of thousands of documents they know they have no right to see. The exact sort of documents Obama withheld from the Committee when Kagan, another government lawyer, was going through the confirmation process. But Schumer knows his parrots don't understand that. He doesn't actually want the documents.  They've already announced they aren't voting for him anyway, the contents don't matter one bit. 

He just wants the talking point that "documents are being withheld" to keep up his minions perpetual outrage.  He's got his talking point  and the parrots are squawking.

Hope you at least get a cracker for your efforts. 

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
4.1  A. Macarthur  replied to  Sean Treacy @4    6 years ago

When the GOP stole Merrick Garland’s Supreme Court seat, they set the stage for a miserable battle

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  A. Macarthur @4.1    6 years ago
Merrick Garland

If Obama had been as great as he was made out to be by the MSM, and as being as good as he was made out to be, he, and the "Democrats", wouldn't have lost control of congress so quickly !

Blame the Media, Not the Republicans. MSM made Obama and the Democrats to be something he/they really weren't, and it came back to bite them.

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
4.1.2  KDMichigan  replied to  A. Macarthur @4.1    6 years ago

crying

Elections have consequences.

Maybe the democrats shouldn't have let Hillaryious Hillary railroad her way to the nomination.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.1.4  Tacos!  replied to  A. Macarthur @4.1    6 years ago
The seat was Obama's to fill subject to Senate "advice and consent,"

We've been over this. The senate is not obligated to consent to any particular nominee. In that case, the Senate did not consent. Obama could have nominated someone else. He chose not to. Blame him.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
4.1.5  A. Macarthur  replied to  It Is ME @4.1.1    6 years ago

Not the point! The Senate Majority Leader regardless of party or politics, has the responsibility to allow regular order … and not be a fucking partisan hypocrite, denying the right of a sitting POTUS to have a SCOTUS nominee voted up or down … because of a coming POTUS election whereby, in the hopes of a Republican winner, a white nationalist sympathizer, anti-Obama, Federalist Society, Heritage Foundation butt boy, might be nominated and approved!

Intelligent, reasonable people, resent having some bullshit-partisan spit in their faces and tell them "it's raining!"

It Is ME
Masters Guide
4.1.6  It Is ME  replied to  A. Macarthur @4.1.5    6 years ago
Not the point!

YES.....The POINT.

The past can't be erased. It happened.

Democrats messed up, and now they are placing blame elsewhere...… AGAIN.  TYPICAL !

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.7  Texan1211  replied to  A. Macarthur @4.1    6 years ago

Garland NEVER HAD A SEAT TO STEAL, so why publish that lie?

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
4.1.10  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  XDm9mm @4.1.9    6 years ago
Grassly should have acquiesced with the Democrats and suspended the hearings and simply gone directly to the vote.   Kavanaugh would then be sworn in by Friday

Yep might as well. Ta hell with protocol or appearances or even a possible conflict of interest involving the some of the most powerful people in the world. Idology over country ! 

sarc !

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.11  Texan1211  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @4.1.10    6 years ago

Do you honestly believe any Senator is going to change their vote based on these hearings?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.1.12  Sean Treacy  replied to    6 years ago
If the situation is reversed, I am quite certain the Democrats would have used the same strategy.

Yep, since they announced publicly on two separate occasions that they wouldn't confirm Republican nominees in similar situations. 

Sophomore Guide
4.1.13  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.11    6 years ago
Do you honestly believe any Senator is going to change their vote based on these hearings?

Probably not , but getting a chance to go thru all Kavanaugh’s history it would may give those who oppose this mans nomination actual reason(s) to either continue or seize their objection to his nomination. I'm constantly reminded of the screw up on the last president's term. "We have to  pass it it find out what's in it."  Well I think we ought to stop doing that, and they shouldn't have done it then. We hire these people to do the best job they can according to the rules set up long ago. When they dont do their job, it pisses me off. 

This time it's "Get this guy in as soon as possible regardless."    WTF is next ? 

PS: IMO: I would  not trust ANY nominated person 100% who has the power to oversee the one who appoints them, especially when the person doing the appointing is already under some suspicion of wrong doing.

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Trump administration is withholding more than 100,000 pages of Brett Kavanaugh’s records from the Bush White House on the basis of presidential privilege ahead of the Supreme Court nominee’s confirmation hearing.

The Senate Judiciary Committee was notified of the action Friday.

IF both These Shoes were on the other foot I'll bet the republicans would be none to happy at this time either.

But, I'l bet Kavanagh's confirmed and sitting on the bench before our heads finish spinning.

Just makin America great ... ?

Time will tell.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.14  Texan1211  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @4.1.13    6 years ago

Democrats are opposed to Kavanaugh based merely on speculation and the fact Trump nominated him---and NO other reasons.

Sophomore Guide
4.1.16  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.14    6 years ago
NO other reasons.
Really ?

Leonard Leo, executive vice president of the Federalist Society , a conservative lawyers' group, advises President Trump on judicial nominations and helped create the list of potential Supreme Court candidates for the president.

Kavanaugh would be a young addition who could help remake the court for decades to come with rulings that could restrict abortion, expand gun rights and roll back key parts of Obamacare.

"He is a brilliant jurist, with a clear and effective writing style, universally regarded as one of the finest and sharpest legal minds of our time," Trump said

AND I'm not going to do research on this but I repeat:  IMO: I would not trust ANY nominated person 100% who has the power to oversee the one who appoints them, especially when the person doing the appointing is already under some suspicion of wrong doing.

But also like I said I expect to see Kavanagh in place very quickly !  

Sophomore Guide
4.1.17  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  XDm9mm @4.1.15    6 years ago
a confirmation vote is honestly a formality

yep, when ya have the power ya make the rules. 

and as usual, Time will tell whether the right decisions were made or not. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.18  Texan1211  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @4.1.16    6 years ago

Kavanaugh could not have been rated higher as a SCOTUS pick by the American Bar Association.

Unanimously.

Here's How Kavanaugh Was Rated By Other Lawyers - 1600 Daily
1600daily.com › Uncategorized

Sep 01, 2018 · The American Bar Association has rated Brett Kavanaugh as a nominee, and the results are nothing less than stellar. The Daily Caller reports: The American Bar Association’s (ABA) standing committee on the judiciary released its evaluation of Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh Friday, awarding him a unanimous “well-qualified” rating.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
4.1.21  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to    6 years ago
If the situation is reversed, I am quite certain the Democrats would have used the same strategy.

We will see after November 6th.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
4.1.22  A. Macarthur  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.14    6 years ago

If all potentially relevant documents were released, no one would have to speculate. 

That’s precisely the point.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.1.23  Sparty On  replied to  A. Macarthur @4.1.22    6 years ago

Interestingly the republic survived just fine for 200+ years without constant partisan confirmation nonsense like this.

Both sides are guilty.   Guilty as sin.

Defending eithers actions is a fools errand.

Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו
Junior Participates
4.2  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Sean Treacy @4    6 years ago
Never underestimate the power of the Democrats to get their parrots to speak on demand.

Projection at its rightwing "finest." 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.1  Texan1211  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @4.2    6 years ago

Or, alternatively and more accurately, the truth.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
4.2.2  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Texan1211 @4.2.1    6 years ago

Is that you Kellyanne?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.3  Texan1211  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @4.2.2    6 years ago

Is that you, Abuela?

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
5  lennylynx    6 years ago

And what are the Democrats going to do about this?  Nothing!  As usual.  Oh, they WILL whimper as they are confirming this nut, then they'll whimper some more as Roe gets overturned.  Maybe one day they will grow up and realise no one is going to come running when they cry, and actually stand up to the Republicans' ruthlessness, but I'm not holding my breath.

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
6  livefreeordie    6 years ago

Those records have no bearing on his judicial temperament, nor are they a reflection of how Hercules as a Justice.

Dulay
Professor Expert
6.1  Dulay  replied to  livefreeordie @6    6 years ago
Those records have no bearing on his judicial temperament, nor are they a reflection of how Hercules as a Justice.

You know this HOW?

Junior Participates
6.1.1  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Dulay @6.1    6 years ago

[deleted]

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7  Sparty On    6 years ago

If they were truly problematic they could have just followed the Democrat standard and just "Hillirated" them.

That is to say, intentionally lost, erased or destroyed them .....

Junior Participates
7.1  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Sparty On @7    6 years ago
That is to say, intentionally lost, erased or destroyed them .....

Which, of course--and as every other lie about Clinton--never happened: as the Russian theft and then Wikileaks publication of the "missing" 30,000 emails proved. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @7.1    6 years ago

WikiLeaks did no such thing.

God, where do you GET this crap from????

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.1.2  Sparty On  replied to  Texan1211 @7.1.1    6 years ago

The hive .... that's where ....

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  Sparty On @7.1.2    6 years ago

it is as though they have never read a newspaper or listened to radio or television.

SMH

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1.5  Texan1211  replied to    6 years ago

Want to bet he/she will never admit to that!?!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.1.6  Tessylo  replied to    6 years ago
'Such statements are why we don't take some members comments seriously.'

Especially those who admit they troll.  

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
7.1.7  KDMichigan  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @7.1    6 years ago
as the Russian theft and then Wikileaks publication of the "missing" 30,000 emails proved. 

Say what? I want to read her E-Mails.

So did they personally send them to you? I don't know of anyone else who has seen her deleted E-Mails. 

I don't know whats funnier your statement or the people that liked it.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
9  It Is ME    6 years ago

So, If it's something Democrats want and doesn't get in THEIR timely matter, The Justice Department is bad. If it's anything Trump is denied, the Justice Department is Good.

Got it !  Face Palm

The Democrats in this "Hearing" chuckle , which is just an introduction meeting for Kavanaugh, Not an Executive Hearing, sound like a bunch of whining Babies !

Booker is one of the worst in the Baby Matter. "Why can't we just Love one another" ! crying  

Democrats bitching about "Not Enough Documents".

Kavanaugh has supplied more paperwork than any other Justice that proceeded him.

Junior Participates
9.1  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  It Is ME @9    6 years ago
Kavanaugh has supplied more paperwork than any other Justice that proceeded him.

If that's true it's only because he's been so deep in the filth of republican politics for so long.  That's his problem, not the Dems for wanting to expose it all.  

It Is ME
Masters Guide
9.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @9.1    6 years ago

Bullshit. Democrats have loved him, before NOW !

Junior Participates
9.1.3  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to    6 years ago
Please explain to us in detail what is meant here...it it's true, that is.

He was part of the failed get-Clinton-at-all-costs Starr investigation in the mid 90s and a major player in the derailing of the FL recount in 2000.  So, he's been part of the filthy republican political operation for decades.  

Junior Participates
9.1.4  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  It Is ME @9.1.1    6 years ago

[deleted]

It Is ME
Masters Guide
9.1.5  It Is ME  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @9.1.4    6 years ago
Removed for context

Okay !

Tacos!
Professor Guide
9.2  Tacos!  replied to  It Is ME @9    6 years ago
The Democrats in this "Hearing" , which is just an introduction meeting for Kavanaugh, Not an Executive Hearing, sound like a bunch of whining Babies !

They're taking any credibility they had and lighting it on fire. When you bitch and moan about everything under the sun, it causes people to not listen to arguments over stuff that might actually matter. It's like crying "wolf!"

It Is ME
Masters Guide
9.2.1  It Is ME  replied to  Tacos! @9.2    6 years ago
it causes people to not listen to arguments over stuff that might actually matter.

The Democrats in this "Introduction Hearing", were all smiles when the "Protestors" started "Whining loudly". I'm surprised Booker" didn't get up and "anoint" them. 

Senator "Sheldon" is NOW whining about "Justice Roberts" and his Five?, which has NOTHING to do with Kavanaugh.

According to "Sheldon", big money can buy the "Supreme Court" Justices. Face Palm

[ Deleted ]

Tacos!
Professor Guide
9.2.2  Tacos!  replied to  It Is ME @9.2.1    6 years ago
Senator "Sheldon" is NOW whining about "Justice Roberts" and his Five?

And right after Senator Lee urged Democrats to make legal arguments and not the ramifications, Whitehouse wants to bitch about decisions based on who supported them and what (in his opinion) the outcome of those decisions were. [Deleted]

It Is ME
Masters Guide
9.2.3  It Is ME  replied to  Tacos! @9.2.2    6 years ago
Democrats want a justice who will give them the result they want.

The "Flexible Constitution". not listening

What was REALLY Meant. laughing dude

It Is ME
Masters Guide
9.2.5  It Is ME  replied to    6 years ago

Yep !

Tacos!
Professor Guide
10  Tacos!    6 years ago

Just now, Ben Sasse was legendary. Bring back the School House Rock government!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
10.1  Texan1211  replied to  Tacos! @10    6 years ago

I feel that if you didn't like Stasse's speech, you weren't paying attention, didn't care, or are simply more interested in scoring some vague political points rather than hearing what he said.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
12  A. Macarthur    6 years ago

A HYPOCRITE'S HANDWRITING ON THE WALL …

“I believe that the President should be excused from some of the burdens of ordinary citizenship while serving in office,” Kavanaugh wrote in 2009, three years after Bush appointed him to the D.C. Circuit."

“This is not something I necessarily thought in the 1980s or 1990s (when going after the then POTUS, Bill Clinton). 

hypocrite.jpg

How convenient … situational judicial ethics prefiguring the saving of the very likely guilty, fat ass-conspiratorial, child-incarcerating, xenophobic racist POTUS via a stacked deck SCOTUS!

And just who is O.K. with this?

The Trump base … t he same people who blame Blacks, Mexicans, Jews and liberals for their problems because they can't be bothered to take a shred of personal responsibility for a single thing, despite constantly passing judgment on others.

The same people who's egos are too fragile to accept things as obvious as the existence of global warming and white privilege. 

The same people who carry the water of oligarchs, decrying “class warfare” every time anyone makes even a meager attempt to level the playing field, completely ignoring the fact that the oligarchs declared a silent war on us decades ago. (because they’re too cowardly to just come out and say it). The same people who betrayed their fellow Americans when they elected a treasonous con man to our highest office. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
12.1  Texan1211  replied to  A. Macarthur @12    6 years ago

What judicial decisions has Kavanaugh's courts rendered that you disagree with, and why?

Do you believe that SCOTUS should have upheld his opinions 13 times?

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
13  A. Macarthur    6 years ago

What judicial decisions has Kavanaugh's courts rendered that you disagree with, and why?

Of the 13 times, how many were upheld by a 5-4 vote … strictly partisan?

Your turn to answer questions …

What judicial decisions has Kavanaugh's courts rendered that you AGREE with, and why?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
13.2  Texan1211  replied to  A. Macarthur @13    6 years ago

So now you only answer legitimate questions with your own questions.

gee, some might think you simply incapable of answering the questions if that is the very best you can do.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
13.2.1  A. Macarthur  replied to  Texan1211 @13.2    6 years ago
So now you only answer legitimate questions with your own questions.

That's YOUR GAME almost always, and now, you evade the challenge to address specific Kavanaugh decisions WHICH YOU ONLY ALLUDED TO AS IF YOU ACTUALLY KNEW THEM CHAPTER AND VERSE.

I posted actual decisions after you tried to fake your way around your zeal-without-knowledge support of Kavanaugh … without your giving a single word on any specific decision. 

Your questions …

You SPECIFICALLY CITED NONE in trying to play your usual gotcha' game.

I responded to that by noting that all the decisions came dow 5-4 … REPUBLICAN APPOINTEES BEING THE 5 in every case.

So again, I pose your question to you in reverse … of the 13 decisions I posted, which do you agree with and why?

ONE LAST SHOT … as far as I can tell, not one Trumpian in this thread noted any Kavanaugh decisions … but sure ranted against democrats … like the Great White Hope you support, not based on anything but demagoguery and whining about so-called "fake news" when you can't refute facts … you don't come with anything but pronouncements, vitriol and bluster!

Make a specific argument as to why Kavanaugh should be confirmed … no "MAGA" and other slogans, quips or pronouncements … cite specifics from his record and make a defense for his confirmation.

Depart from the know-nothing Trump-rally crowds and respond like American democracy is not a carnival show!

Dulay
Professor Expert
13.2.2  Dulay  replied to  A. Macarthur @13.2.1    6 years ago

'Zeal without knowledge'. I'm stealing that A. Mac. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
13.2.3  Texan1211  replied to  A. Macarthur @13.2.1    6 years ago

Kavanaugh went with the majority of the court some 97% of the time. A court with more members appointed by Democrats than Republicans. Decisions were repeatedly upheld by SCOTUS.

Whether they were 5-4 or 9-0 matters not. They are either upheld or struck down. It isn't "Upheld BUT...."

yeah, you cited some cases. Great for you. You never said what about those cases you disagreed with based on law.

But let's take just the Obamacare case you cited.

His opinion became EXACTLY what the Obama Administration, despite repeated statements to the American people claiming it was NOT a tax, argued in front of SCOTUS. Had he NOT made that argument, it is likely that the Obamacare mandate would have been dead, and Obamacare itself without it.

In the "affirmative case" you cited, why would any law limiting voting to only one set of people be Constitutional? And why would Hawaiians be governed by a different set of elected officials than the rest of Hawaiian citizens?  If ONLY native Hawaiians were allowed to vote, what would stop some group that you don't like from doing the same in any other state,  preventing a group from voting because they weren't the "right" race or color??

Texan1211
Professor Principal
13.2.4  Texan1211  replied to  A. Macarthur @13.2.1    6 years ago

I didn't cite any cases because I wanted YOUR opinions on what cases you thought he decided wrong.

How in the hell am I supposed to know what you think?

SMMFH

Dulay
Professor Expert
13.2.5  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @13.2.3    6 years ago
Whether they were 5-4 or 9-0 matters not.

It sure as hell does. A 5-4 can have multiple written dissents. Dissents are cited all the time and in some cases cited to support overturning a SCOTUS ruling. A 9-0 ruling HAS NO dissents.

In FACT, Kavanaugh has cited many a dissent in his own rulings and writings. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
13.2.6  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @13.2.5    6 years ago

Yes, dissents are often noted.

But the fact is that whether the decision is 5-4 or 9-0, it has the exact same effect. It holds the exact same weight unless reversed at a later date, which can happen to any court decision, whether it was unanimous or not.

Take Roe v. Wade for example. It wasn't unanimous, but what effect has that had on actual practices? Neither was Citizens United, but what is in effect?

Dulay
Professor Expert
13.2.7  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @13.2.6    6 years ago
But the fact is that whether the decision is 5-4 or 9-0, it has the exact same effect.

No it doesn't. Dissents MATTER. Ask Kavanaugh. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
13.2.8  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @13.2.7    6 years ago

If SCOTUS rules on a matter of law, and the vote isn't unanimous, what is the result of the ruling? Does it carry the force of law?

How are lower court cases handled on appeal if they went against the split SCOTUS decision? Is it the same as if there were no SCOTUS ruling?

Junior Participates
13.2.10  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Texan1211 @13.2.3    6 years ago
Whether they were 5-4 or 9-0 matters not.

Just to underscore what Dulay said in his/her response to that completely wrong statement here's a primer on the concept of  stare decisis :

Stare decisis is a legal doctrine that obligates courts to follow historical cases when making a ruling on a similar current or future case. Stare decisis ensures that cases with identical facts be approached in the same way, unless overruled by the same court or a higher court such as the US Supreme Court. Simply put, it binds courts to follow legal precedents set by previous decisions. 

Read more: Stare Decisis | Investopedia

Appellants, particularly to the SC, hope their cases have a strong majority in the favor with no more than 2 dissenters in order to strengthen the case for  stare decisis.   It's for that reason that a unanimous verdict is considered particularly strong by future courts.  Tellingly, the SC's 5-4 decision in Bush v Gore in 2000 specifically included the admonition that it should not be taken as  stare decisis-- IOW, it admitted to its own weakness as a decision. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
13.2.11  Texan1211  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @13.2.10    6 years ago

Yes, I know all that. What I keep pointing out to apparently no avail is that the decisions by SCOTUS, whether unanimous or not, hold the same weight under law until reversed.

Is that not true?

For example, Roe v. Wade was a 7-2 decision, but in applying the law, it is the exact same as if the decision was 9-0 as it is under the 7-2 decision.

Same with Citizens United, but with different numbers.

Dulay
Professor Expert
13.2.12  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @13.2.8    6 years ago
How are lower court cases handled on appeal if they went against the split SCOTUS decision? Is it the same as if there were no SCOTUS ruling?

I must not be making myself clear Tex. 

What I am talking about is that 9-0 opinions do not include dissents. 5-4 opinions DO, sometimes more than one. 

While it is more common for 'majority' opinions to be cited in future rulings BUTT, in some cases, the dissenting opinions of cases are just as illuminating as the 'majority' opinion. An example is Scalia's dissent in Lawrence. It has been cited by both sides of the fence in multiple rulings.  In FACT, Scalia's own dissent in Lawrence was cited in the Obergefell opinion. 

So what I am saying is that quite often, dissents move jurisprudence. Having dissents on record gives us at least two sides of the debate on the issue. Dissents give fodder to lawyers who are arguing cases and judges that are writing opinions. 

The unanimous rulings do not give us the benefit of documented 'opposing views', side by side with the majority opinion. We KNOW that even unanimous rulings are 'in question', Kavanaugh's writings call into question Nixon v. U.S. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
13.2.13  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @13.2.12    6 years ago

This is getting old.

I am not arguing that dissents don't matter. They do, but not in the enforcement of the judgment.. I am not arguing that dissents aren't cited in other cases.

I am not arguing ANY OF THAT!

I AM arguing that SCOTUS decisions, when rendered, no matter the number in agreement or dissent, has the same weight of law when applied.

I am saying that if someone has SCOTUS uphold his majority decisions, then it is highly likely that the majority could find no fault or not enough fault IN the decision to overturn it. The SCOTUS decision, no matter what the numbers are in it, carries the same weight when applied. If Roe v. Wade would have gone the other way by the same numbers, abortion might not be legal right now. It did NOT, so abortion IS legal. Men and women know that Roe v. Wade decided that abortion was indeed legal. Do you really think many CARE what the numbers in agreement or dissent were--they just want to know what the verdict was, because that is what is important.

Personally, I WANT justices who have SHOWN a good grasp of the law--enough so that they are not constantly overturned by another court. I don't understand people who don't want that same thing.

What about Kavanaugh's judicial record do you take exception to, why, and was his decision overturned or not?

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
14  A. Macarthur    6 years ago

Have you looked at every ruling he made or did you cherry pick this one and for what reason?

Tell us the ones YOU'VE looked at … the one I cited is quite obvious as its potential impact is imminent and a threat to the rule of law.

Instead of asking questions, post an actual rebuttal if when you disagree or don't care for what I post! Make an argument pro or con rather than post a gotcha' question that reveals nothing of your knowledge of the subject at hand.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
15  Texan1211    6 years ago

I'm not excusing Trump for anything he has done, but Kavanaugh has an impeccable reputation as a jurist.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
15.1  A. Macarthur  replied to  Texan1211 @15    6 years ago
Kavanaugh has an impeccable reputation as a jurist.

And now's your chance to explain specifically what makes it "impeccable" without the summary pronouncement.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
15.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  A. Macarthur @15.1    6 years ago

How about him deciding with the majority some 97% of the time and SCOTUS upholding him some 13 times?

Heck, look at HIS record compared to Kagan's judicial record.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
15.1.2  A. Macarthur  replied to  Texan1211 @15.1.1    6 years ago

Heck … just make a case for his "impeccable" reputation and don't change the subject!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
15.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  A. Macarthur @15.1.2    6 years ago

Still waiting for any reason you cited those cases but didn't say what about his decisions you didn't like.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
15.1.4  A. Macarthur  replied to  Texan1211 @15.1.3    6 years ago
Still waiting for any reason you cited those cases but didn't say what about his decisions you didn't like.

Tell you what; choose one decision at-a-time, post it, state your feelings pro or con and I'll follow stating mine; then I'll post another, state my feelings and you follow.

In that format, neither one of us will be twisting in the wind, open to critiques while the other stands on the sidelines.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
15.1.5  Texan1211  replied to  A. Macarthur @15.1.2    6 years ago

Oh, FFS.

I ask a simple question and you won't answer it.

That's okay, I expected little and got nothing.

I'll move on to people who will at least answer.

Read 13.2.3 and get back to me--or not.

I don't have the patience for word games today, and apparently you are more interested in that kind of shit, so have fun.

Junior Participates
15.1.6  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Texan1211 @15.1.1    6 years ago
SCOTUS upholding him some 13 times?

13 of how many?  And where's your source for that?

Heck, look at HIS record compared to Kagan's judicial record.

And what's the basis for impugning her record?  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
15.1.7  Texan1211  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @15.1.6    6 years ago

Okay, how is suggesting looking at her record impugning it?

And here, this is from Wikipedia:

Notable cases
The Supreme Court has adopted Kavanaugh's position on cases 13 times, and has reversed his position only once. These included cases involving environmental regulations, criminal procedure, the separation of powers and extraterritorial jurisdiction in human rights abuse cases.[19][42] He has been regarded as a feeder judge.[43]

19--^
Jump up to:
a b c d e f g h i j Shane, Scott; Eder, Steve; Ruiz, Rebecca R.; Liptak, Adam; Savage, Charlie; Protess, Ben (July 15, 2018). "Influential Judge, Loyal Friend, Conservative Warrior — and D.C. Insider". The New York Times. p. A1. Retrieved July 16, 2018. 

42--^
Jump up to:
a b Jones, Ashby (2018-07-10). "Judge Brett Kavanaugh: In His Own Words". The Wall Street Journal. ISSN 0099-9660. Retrieved 2018-08-18. 

Now, once again, based on his judicial record, what are your objections to Kavanaugh, what cases do you base that on, and which were overturned by another court?

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
15.1.8  A. Macarthur  replied to  Texan1211 @15.1.5    6 years ago
Kavanaugh went with the majority of the court some 97% of the time. A court with more members appointed by Democrats than Republicans. Decisions were repeatedly upheld by SCOTUS.

Whether they were 5-4 or 9-0 matters not. They are either upheld or struck down. It isn't "Upheld BUT...."

yeah, you cited some cases. Great for you. You never said what about those cases you disagreed with based on law.

But let's take just the Obamacare case you cited.

His opinion became EXACTLY what the Obama Administration, despite repeated statements to the American people claiming it was NOT a tax, argued in front of SCOTUS. Had he NOT made that argument, it is likely that the Obamacare mandate would have been dead, and Obamacare itself without it.

The artful dodge on the ACA tax penalty that saved Kavanaugh from Supreme Court doom

In 2011, Judge Brett Kavanaugh was selected at random to rule on whether President Barack Obama’s signature legislative achievement, the Affordable Care Act, was constitutional.

It was a career-defining moment for the aspiring Supreme Court justice, who was 46 at the time. The case promised to be a political bomb splitting two powerful forces. On one side was the Republican Party, which made Kavanaugh a judge and wanted to see the law invalidated under a limited vision of federal authority to regulate interstate commerce. On the other were millions of Americans poised to gain access to health insurance — in some cases for the first time ever — backed by scholars who said axing the law would be a grave error of judicial activism and taint the courts.

But you cannot, in 2018, ignore Trump's campaign promise to appoint justices who would overturn the ACA! So, what promise did Kavanaugh make to the Federalist Society and Heritage Foundation (and Trump himself) regarding the ACA, in order to get the Trump nomination. 

Neither can it be ignored that Trump asks for "loyalty" from his appointments and others … albeit inappropriately.

In the "affirmative case" you cited, why would any law limiting voting to only one set of people be Constitutional? And why would Hawaiians be governed by a different set of elected officials than the rest of Hawaiian citizens?  If ONLY native Hawaiians were allowed to vote, what would stop some group that you don't like from doing the same in any other state,  preventing a group from voting because they weren't the "right" race or color??

Given conservative   states' record on voter suppression and the SCOTUS' gutting of the Voting Rights Act, let's see …

Affirmative action:  Kavanaugh in 1999 wrote an  amicus brief  on behalf of the Center for Equal Opportunity, a group that opposes race-based affirmative action in college admissions. The brief argued that a Hawaii law allowing only native Hawaiians to vote in elections for the Office of Hawaiian Affairs was unconstitutional in prohibiting people from voting because of their race. (The Supreme Court agreed with that argument in a 7-2 decision.)

BUT …  Civil rights advocates and Democratic lawmakers point   in particular to an opinion he wrote in 2012 delaying but ultimately allowing voter identification requirements in South Carolina that were opposed by the Justice Department, and to his description in 1999, when he was a lawyer in private practice, of a government program for Native Hawaiians as a “naked racial-spoils system.” In that case, ­embracing the language of Justice Antonin Scalia, Kavanaugh wrote in a newspaper column that the Supreme Court would eventually, inevitably  find that “in the eyes of government, we are just one race.”

Vanita Gupta, president of the Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights, said, “That kind of statement really signals that he will bring an anti-civil-rights agenda to the Supreme Court and fails to recognize the current reality of being a person of color in this country and the history of discrimination.”

“Kavanaugh’s worldview is not demonstrated by the fact that he’s appeared before black law students and hired diverse clerks,” she said, noting that he has also appeared nearly 50 times before chapters of the Federalist Society, the conservative legal group that has helped shape Trump’s list of potential Supreme Court nominees, including Kavanaugh.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
15.1.9  Texan1211  replied to  A. Macarthur @15.1.8    6 years ago

Well, kudos for FINALLY answering at least in part.

As for the first case--Obamacare-- you proved only that everything I wrote was true, and you merely SPECULATED as to what his "motives" were. Not one thing you mentioned had a thing to do with laws or precedent. An utter fail, IOW. Fact STILL remains he was impartial and ruled in a way that even the Obama Administration thought enough of his legal arguments to change their tune and decide it WAS a tax.

In the second case you cite, really what matter is that SCOTUS UPHELD HIM. That alone tells me that some of the greatest legal minds in the country got together and decided in the MAJORITY that he was correct. 

Now you can argue that YOU thought he was wrong, or that "leading Democrats" thought he was wrong, but not a single one of you offer anything regarding precedent to make the case that his ruling was wrong.

Junior Participates
15.1.10  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Texan1211 @15.1.7    6 years ago
Now, once again, based on his judicial record, what are your objections to Kavanaugh, what cases do you base that on, and which were overturned by another court?

That his addition will push the Court yet further to the extreme right, far out of touch with the society it makes judgments upon.  It will be much like the infamous Taney court of the 1850s.  But you seem to labor under the mistaken notion that all that matters is that a nominee has to have a judicial record and the bigger the better.  He or she also should demonstrate something more human.  Would it surprise you to know how many and highly esteemed SC justices had no judicial experience at all before attaining that position? 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
15.1.11  Texan1211  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @15.1.10    6 years ago

Once again I ask what in his judicial record do you object, and why?

And you respond with "He will push the Court farther to the right"?

I see we are done here when you simply refuse to answer a simple question.

I really don't see how you manage to draw that conclusion based on his record when he has gone WITH the majority on his court--a court with more Democratic-appointed judges than Republican ones, the vast majority of the time.  Do you think his court was right-leaning, despite its makeup?

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
16  A. Macarthur    6 years ago

Kavanaugh turns his back on the father of a daughter murdered by gun violence …

THIS IS WHO KAVANAUGH IS!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
16.1  Texan1211  replied to  A. Macarthur @16    6 years ago

Do you know for a fact that they know each other?

What difference does that make in his nomination hearings? Does it have any bearing on them?

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
16.1.1  A. Macarthur  replied to  Texan1211 @16.1    6 years ago

More questions … more evasiveness …

It happened in the middle of a contentious meeting taking place in a country whose political divide seems to grow deeper by the day.

As the room broke for lunch during the confirmation hearings for Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh, a man approached the judge from behind and was able to get his attention. Kavanaugh turned to look at the man, who later identified himself on social media as Fred Guttenberg, the father of Jaime Guttenberg, one of the 17 people killed in the Parkland school shooting in February, as he stuck out his right hand. He appeared to say, “My daughter was murdered at Parkland."

Good night, Texan1211.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
16.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  A. Macarthur @16.1.1    6 years ago

So Kavanaugh didn't know the guy from Adam.

Maybe Kavanaugh was preoccupied with oh, I don't know--his confirmation hearing?

Dulay
Professor Expert
16.1.3  Dulay  replied to  A. Macarthur @16.1.1    6 years ago

Guttenberg said 'I'm Fred Guttenberg and my daughter Jaime was murdered at Parkland'. He said on The Last Word that is how he has been introducing himself to 'officials' since his daughters murder. 

O'Donnell brought up that Kavanaugh had the chance to 'fix' it, find Guttenberg in the hearing room after the break and shake his hand. He didn't. Who knows if it even crossed his mind. Mores the pity. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
16.1.4  Sparty On  replied to  Dulay @16.1.3    6 years ago

There would be no point to that.  

Do you seek out people who are CLEARLY at odds with you to shake their hand?   Oh i'm sure you do ..... every time right?

The rule of the day from the hive ...... anything goes to subvert his nomination ....... anything!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
16.1.5  Tessylo  replied to  Dulay @16.1.3    6 years ago

I just posted a seed about that Dulay.

If this pussy is seated and he overturns the semi-automatic weapons ban (which he plans to do) he will have a lot of blood on his hands like the current administration and the gop and the NRA.  

The NRA back this pussy and I'm sure they've lined his pockets with lots of blood money.  

It Is ME
Masters Guide
16.1.6  It Is ME  replied to  Tessylo @16.1.5    6 years ago
If this pussy is seated and he overturns the semi-automatic weapons ban (which he plans to do)

How is "HE" (Kavanaugh), going to do that ?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
16.1.7  Texan1211  replied to  It Is ME @16.1.6    6 years ago

They seem to think that a single SCOTUS Justice has great power.

I wonder why, if Kavanaugh can overturn decisions, why can't people like Ginsberg do the same?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
16.1.8  Texan1211  replied to  Sparty On @16.1.4    6 years ago

Yeah, the whole confirmation show is for the benefit of Democrats to make it look like they are doing something!

Anyone with a lick of sense KNOWS that the Dems won't be voting for him--whether they get everything he has ever written or tapes of every spoken word he has ever uttered. That is just some outlandish "excuse".

They have already admitted as much.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
16.1.9  It Is ME  replied to  Texan1211 @16.1.7    6 years ago

Only Kavanaugh is going to "Judicially disqualify" himself so he can argue guns in front of the Supreme Court. Face Palm

The Stupid Shit stuff that flitters around the net is mind boggling, and the Lemming followers of the lie are.....well.....(Fill-in-the-blank) 

Take the "Parkland" father handshake diss by Kavanaugh. Anyone being looked at for the supreme court wouldn't want to be seen as biased one way or another. Kavanaugh did the right thing. Stay neutral. Just say high and walk away. Liberals are making such a BULLSHIT argument over this "incident". Liberals love "Conflict and disruption" ! Makes No Sense

Texan1211
Professor Principal
16.1.10  Texan1211  replied to  It Is ME @16.1.9    6 years ago

Exactly!!

Had the head of a gun manufacturer approached Kavanaugh and Kavanaugh HAD shaken his hand, the left would be having apoplectic fits for MONTHS!

It Is ME
Masters Guide
16.1.11  It Is ME  replied to  Texan1211 @16.1.10    6 years ago

The left luvs them some bad.....they hates good ! Not Prudent...…. EVER ! 

Dulay
Professor Expert
16.1.12  Dulay  replied to  Sparty On @16.1.4    6 years ago
There would be no point to that. 

Just because you fail to see the point, doesn't mean there isn't one. 

Do you seek out people who are CLEARLY at odds with you to shake their hand? Oh i'm sure you do ..... every time right?

What I do is irrelevant. What Kavanaugh did or didn't do is. 

The rule of the day from the hive ...... anything goes to subvert his nomination ....... anything!

The 'hive' had NOTHING to do with Kavanaugh shunning Fred Guttenberg. He has no one but himself to blame for the 'optics'. 

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
16.1.13  A. Macarthur  replied to  Texan1211 @16.1.2    6 years ago
So Kavanaugh didn't know the guy from Adam. Maybe Kavanaugh was preoccupied with oh, I don't know--his confirmation hearing?

And maybe the father of a daughter murdered by some loser with access to a deadly weapon, was, in his grief and frustration, hoping to express that grief to a potential Justice of the SCOTUS … IN THE HOPES THAT HE WOULDN'T BE A PIMP FOR THE NRA IN CASES REGARDING THE 2nd AMENDMENT.

Poor, tired, preoccupied Judge Kavanaugh … he got to leave the room and head home with his daughters … 

… unlike the father of his dead daughter.

Get some perspective all you Trumpians … some assholes do "go out on the 'Fifth Avenues' of America and shoot someone," only to have the NRA and right-wing apologists declare that …

1. This is not the time to discuss politics, and …

2. This is the time for us to send out our thoughts and prayers to the families of the victims.

Any questions?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
16.1.14  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @16.1.12    6 years ago

Kavanaugh is under no obligation to shake any stranger's hand.

Perhaps the guy should have made an appointment to meet Kavanaugh if it is so important to him.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
16.1.15  Texan1211  replied to  A. Macarthur @16.1.13    6 years ago

Look, I can sympathize with the father. It was a horrible tragedy that any of those kids were shot and killed.

But that doesn't give him some inherent right to demand to be recognized by a potential SC justice because he wants to make some point.

NO SC Justice decides any case by himself.

Why hasn't the father done the same with every sitting SC Justice?

Dulay
Professor Expert
16.1.16  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @16.1.14    6 years ago
Kavanaugh is under no obligation to shake any stranger's hand.

I didn't way he was, did I Tex? 

BTFW, Kavanaugh was well aware the Guttenberg would be at the hearing, since he was on the list of INVITED guests.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
16.1.17  Tessylo  replied to  Dulay @16.1.16    6 years ago

Yeah, how dare the murdered child's father reach out his hand to introduce himself and to be flat out ignored by this pussy Kavanaugh?  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
16.1.18  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @16.1.16    6 years ago

Oh, FFS.

I didn't write that you said that, I merely stated the obvious.

And I am positive Kavanaugh pored over the whole list of invitees.

Y'all are attempting to make mountains out of molehills, simply because you don't kike Kavanaugh based on the fact Trump nominated him.

What in Kavanaugh's judicial record do you object to, and have higher courts rejected his findings?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
16.1.19  Sparty On  replied to  Dulay @16.1.12    6 years ago
Just because you fail to see the point, doesn't mean there isn't one. 

Nah there is no point to it.   In the end its just another ploy to discredit anything that is remotely related to Trump

What I do is irrelevant. What Kavanaugh did or didn't do is.

It's absolutely relevant and a cogent point to the discussion at hand

The 'hive' had NOTHING to do with Kavanaugh shunning Fred Guttenberg. He has no one but himself to blame for the 'optics'.

So sez the hive ......

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
16.1.20  KDMichigan  replied to  Dulay @16.1.16    6 years ago
Kavanaugh was well aware the Guttenberg would be at the hearing, since he was on the list of INVITED guests.

Was he? 

Did you personally read the invited guest list to him? Maybe you did...

Guttenberg said 'I'm Fred Guttenberg and my daughter Jaime was murdered at Parkland'.

I guess you were there. 

Where you with the group of screaming snowflakes that the Democrats used to interrupt the proceeding?

Dulay
Professor Expert
16.1.21  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @16.1.18    6 years ago
And I am  positive Kavanaugh pored over the whole list of invitees.

Senator Feinstein INTRODUCED the invitees at the beginning of the hearing. Keep Digging a whole

BTW, a TEAM of people prepared Kavanaugh and I doubt that they failed to go over the list of invited guests with him. Though if they did, it wouldn't be out of character with Trump's team of incompetents. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
16.1.22  Dulay  replied to  Sparty On @16.1.19    6 years ago
Nah there is no point to it.   In the end its just another ploy to discredit anything that is remotely related to Trump

You're entitled to your opinion, as am I. 

It's absolutely relevant and a cogent point to the discussion at hand

Oh please do explain how what I personally do is relevant to the discussion at hand. 

So sez the hive ...

I speak for no one but myself. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
16.1.23  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @16.1.21    6 years ago

Who gives a flying fuck?

WTF difference can it POSSIBLY make regarding his hearing and confirmation whether he shook some stranger's hand?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
16.1.24  Sparty On  replied to  Dulay @16.1.22    6 years ago
Oh please do explain how what I personally do is relevant to the discussion at hand. 

Really going there huh?

No one is obligated to shake the hand of someone who is clearly hostile to them.   No one, including you.

Get it now?

Dulay
Professor Expert
16.1.25  Dulay  replied to  KDMichigan @16.1.20    6 years ago
Did you personally read the invited guest list to him?

NO, Senator Feinstein did... 

I guess you were there. 

I believe what Guttenberg said that he said. He has repeated it multiple times since the hearing. 

Where you with the group of screaming snowflakes that the Democrats used to interrupt the proceeding?

NO, I was here dealing with the group of screaming snowflake conservatives about the hearing...

It Is ME
Masters Guide
16.1.26  It Is ME  replied to  Dulay @16.1.22    6 years ago
Oh please do explain how what I personally do is relevant to the discussion at hand. I speak for no one but myself.  

Such a contradiction when lumping both statements together as a whole. Thinking 2

Dulay
Professor Expert
16.1.27  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @16.1.23    6 years ago
WTF difference can it POSSIBLY make regarding his hearing and confirmation whether he shook some stranger's hand?

If it doesn't make a difference, why are you talking about it? 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
16.1.28  Texan1211  replied to  KDMichigan @16.1.20    6 years ago

Hey, didn't you know that whether he shakes a hand is one of the very most important things Kavanaugh or any nominee must do to pass muster from Democrats?

Well, that, and vow to never overturn Roe v. Wade.

Dulay
Professor Expert
16.1.29  Dulay  replied to  It Is ME @16.1.26    6 years ago
Such a contradiction when lumping both statements together as a whole.

Actually 'lumping both statements together as a whole' is an intentional misrepresentation of the content AND context of both statements.

Well done.

Please proceed.

Dulay
Professor Expert
16.1.30  Dulay  replied to  Sparty On @16.1.24    6 years ago
Really going there huh?

Actually, YOU went there...

No one is obligated to shake the hand of someone who is clearly hostile to them.   No one, including you.

Nowhere in any of my comments have I said that Kavanaugh was 'obliged' to do a fucking thing. 

Get it now?

Yes, I get that you read things into my comments that don't exist. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
16.1.31  It Is ME  replied to  Dulay @16.1.29    6 years ago
Actually 'lumping both statements together as a whole' is an intentional misrepresentation of the content AND context of both statements.

I believe that's what you think. Too Much Info

Sparty On
Professor Principal
16.1.32  Sparty On  replied to  Dulay @16.1.30    6 years ago

[deleted]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
16.1.33  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @16.1.27    6 years ago

Because some people here consider this relevant and fucking brought it up. it isn't relevant at all, and I don't mind pointing that shit out to those who think it is.

Why are YOU talking about it?

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
16.1.34  A. Macarthur  replied to  Texan1211 @16.1.15    6 years ago

Look, I can sympathize with the father. It was a horrible tragedy that any of those kids were shot and killed.

But that doesn't give him some inherent right to demand to be recognized by a potential SC justice because he wants to make some point.

He made no "demand" -- he extended his hand in a universally accepted gesture of civility and accord -- he was invited to the hearings … read down …

NO SC Justice decides any case by himself.

Kavanaugh would be the "5" in a 5-4 SCOTUS vote protecting the NRA and gun advocates against any reforms.

Why hasn't the father done the same with every sitting SC Justice?

Maybe he has … not the point … he is active in meeting as many officials as he can … how many such grieving parent get to meet with SCOTUS justices?

Fred Guttenberg and his daughter Jaime EXPAND
Fred Guttenberg and his daughter Jaime
Courtesy of Fred Guttenberg

Fred Guttenberg Pushes for "Common-Sense" Gun Reform After His Daughter's Murder at Parkland

Every year for the past eight or nine years, Fred Guttenberg took the stage at his daughter Jaime's dance recital for a routine called "Dancing Dads." The number featured all of the dance dads doing their best to follow choreography and ended with all of the girls joining their fathers onstage.

Guttenberg, who calls himself the "world's worst dancer," hasn't decided if he's up for it again this year. Though the dance studio has asked him to participate, he would have to dance without his daughter. Jaime was killed by the gunman who tore through Marjory Stoneman Douglas High this past Valentine's Day. She was 14, a Best Buddies volunteer, and a lifelong dancer who hoped to one day become a physical therapist.

Forget for a moment about the Brett Kavanaugh documents  Republicans are trying to bury  and take a moment to pay attention to the overt disdain Kavanaugh showed Tuesday to the grieving father of a girl who died in the Parkland shooting massacre earlier this year. Not only did Kavanaugh, Donald Trump’s Supreme Court nominee,  literally turn his back  on Fred Guttenberg as Guttenberg  tried to introduce himself  at the nomination hearing, Kavanaugh went a step further and tried to have Guttenberg removed from the Senate hearing room, according to  his account on CNN

Guttenberg, who wears two wristbands to commemorate his daughter, Jaime, said security approached him following the lunch break and "pulled me out of the room." Judge Kavanaugh, Guttenberg explained, "thought that I may have crossed a boundary. ... and I'm certain he was the one who told them to take me out because he described these bracelets that I wear on my wrists which commemorate my daughter.”

Wow. This is a colossal mistake on Kavanaugh’s part. Snubbing Guttenberg  was bad enough  for a nominee whose approval ratings  are already sucking wind . But asking security to remove Guttenberg, especially when he likely had a grasp of who Guttenberg was, is truly a moment of someone  showing you who they are

Guttenberg had been invited to the hearings by ranking Senate Judiciary Committee member Dianne Feinstein.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
16.1.35  Texan1211  replied to  A. Macarthur @16.1.34    6 years ago

Well, you hang your hat on Kavanaugh not being confirmed because he hurt someone's feelings, okay?

WTF does THAT have to do with Kavanaugh's qualifications?

Dulay
Professor Expert
16.1.36  Dulay  replied to  It Is ME @16.1.31    6 years ago
I believe that's what you think.

What other purpose did you have? Please be specific.

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
16.1.37  KDMichigan  replied to  Dulay @16.1.30    6 years ago
Yes, I get that you read things into my comments that don't exist. 

laughing dude

You mean like picking something out of a link and harping on it for a whole thread which has nothing to do with the original comment?

Dulay
Professor Expert
16.1.38  Dulay  replied to  KDMichigan @16.1.37    6 years ago
You mean like picking something out of a link and harping on it for a whole thread which has nothing to do with the original comment?

No. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
16.1.39  Tessylo  replied to  A. Macarthur @16.1.34    6 years ago
'Forget for a moment about the Brett Kavanaugh documents Republicans are trying to bury and take a moment to pay attention to the overt disdain Kavanaugh showed Tuesday to the grieving father of a girl who died in the Parkland shooting massacre earlier this year. Not only did Kavanaugh, Donald Trump’s Supreme Court nominee, literally turn his back on Fred Guttenberg as Guttenberg tried to introduce himself at the nomination hearing, Kavanaugh went a step further and tried to have Guttenberg removed from the Senate hearing room, according to his account on CNN

Guttenberg, who wears two wristbands to commemorate his daughter, Jaime, said security approached him following the lunch break and "pulled me out of the room." Judge Kavanaugh, Guttenberg explained, "thought that I may have crossed a boundary. ... and I'm certain he was the one who told them to take me out because he described these bracelets that I wear on my wrists which commemorate my daughter.”

Wow what a pussy and a heartless bastard to boot!!!!!!!!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
16.1.40  Texan1211  replied to  A. Macarthur @16.1.34    6 years ago

Sigh.

I'll try one last time with you:

What in Kavanaugh's judicial record worries you or makes you think he isn't qualified to sit on SCOTUS?

Please try to confine your answer to what I asked--not imaginary things or whether he shook someone's hand or not.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
16.1.41  It Is ME  replied to  Dulay @16.1.36    6 years ago
Please be specific.

"Oh please do explain how what I personally do is relevant to the discussion at hand. I speak for no one but myself. "

I [No Value]

MrFrost
Professor Expert
16.1.42  MrFrost  replied to  Texan1211 @16.1.23    6 years ago
Who gives a flying fuck? WTF difference can it POSSIBLY make regarding his hearing and confirmation whether he shook some stranger's hand?

It shows his complete lack of character. If your kid was killed in a school shooting, I am betting your attitude would be MUCH different. But like most on the right it's, "well, doesn't affect me so I don't give a fuck". Then you no doubt would turn around and blame the dems for dividing the nation. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
16.1.44  MrFrost  replied to  Texan1211 @16.1.23    6 years ago

[Wrong URL for that type of entertainment.]

It Is ME
Masters Guide
16.1.45  It Is ME  replied to  MrFrost @16.1.42    6 years ago
If your kid was killed in a school shooting, I am betting your attitude would be MUCH different.

I think "Congress Folks" are the one to go to. NOT someone that isn't even confirmed to the court yet. The "Supreme Court" isn't supposed to be legislatures anyway …….. unless you want them to be. Thinking 2

Dulay
Professor Expert
16.1.47  Dulay  replied to  It Is ME @16.1.41    6 years ago
I find that to be VERY specific in what you "think".

Deflection. My question wasn't about what YOU think I think. 

It was: other than to misrepresent my comments, what was your purpose in 'lumping both statements together as a whole'? 

You've answered by posting:

You "Are", but yet you're "NOT" !
Or maybe it's...……..
You aren't before you Are ?

Proof that the purpose of your 'lumping' was to give yourself leave to make a disingenuous allegation. 

Again, well done. 

Please proceed. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
16.1.48  It Is ME  replied to  Dulay @16.1.47    6 years ago

[Irony]

Dulay
Professor Expert
16.1.49  Dulay  replied to  It Is ME @16.1.48    6 years ago

Then flag it. 

Oh wait, it's too late because you already replied to it. 

Junior Participates
16.1.51  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Texan1211 @16.1    6 years ago
Do you know for a fact that they know each other?

Are you aware of the use of the very common (to the point of being universal) social courtesy of introducing oneself to another person by offering one's hand to that person? 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
16.1.52  Texan1211  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @16.1.51    6 years ago

Sure do, and am also smart enough to know that NONE of that shit has a damn thing to do with any opposition to Kavanaugh or his confirmation hearing.

Still got that open challenge to ANYONE opposed to Kavanaugh based on his judicial record to explain which cases they think he got wrong, and whether or not his decision was overturned or not.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
16.1.54  It Is ME  replied to  Dulay @16.1.49    6 years ago
Oh wait, it's too late because you already replied to it. 

Well Garsh Dernit…...ya got me. Thumbs Up 2 Eye Roll

Texan1211
Professor Principal
16.1.55  Texan1211  replied to  Kathleen @16.1.53    6 years ago

LOL!

Not YOU!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
16.1.57  Texan1211  replied to  Kathleen @16.1.56    6 years ago

laughing dude

I have been a victim of my own poor typing skills and being able to think what I want to say much faster than I can type, so I can certainly empathize!!

MrFrost
Professor Expert
16.1.58  MrFrost  replied to    6 years ago
Coulda been an assassin.

Yes, because there is absolutely no security screening people at these things. Why there was a guy in the  back row there with an RPG. /s

Junior Participates
16.1.59  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Texan1211 @16.1.52    6 years ago
Sure do, and am also smart enough to know that NONE of that shit has a damn thing to do with any opposition to Kavanaugh or his confirmation hearing.

It sure goes the character of a man and Kavanaugh flunked that test of it. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
17  Tessylo    6 years ago
'No one is obligated to shake the hand of someone who is clearly hostile to them.   Including you. Get it now?'

So reaching out a hand to introduce oneself is clearly hostile?  Wow!

That pussy Kavanaugh turned his back on this man.  

What a pussy.  

Get it now?

It Is ME
Masters Guide
18  It Is ME    6 years ago

[deleted]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
18.1  Texan1211  replied to  It Is ME @18    6 years ago

Well, in all fairness, I am sure their opinions of him doing that have probably "evolved" since he's a Democrat!

It Is ME
Masters Guide
18.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  Texan1211 @18.1    6 years ago
I am sure their opinions of him doing that have probably "evolved" since he's a Democrat!

Until they aren't...… AGAIN ! Thumbs Up 2

Dulay
Professor Expert
18.2  Dulay  replied to  It Is ME @18    6 years ago
Mr. Durbin just admitted he worked in a "Slaughter House" for three years. PETA is gonna be pissed.  Or are they ?

Doubtful since he did so prior to 1962 a full 18 years before PETA's founding. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
18.2.1  It Is ME  replied to  Dulay @18.2    6 years ago
Doubtful since he did so prior to 1962 a full 18 years before PETA's founding. 

And that changes what he said today, and what PETA is "Today".....how ?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
19  Sparty On    6 years ago

It is kinda fun watching the left spinning around like whirling dervish's on yet another nonsensical non-issue.

But it is getting old ......

Texan1211
Professor Principal
19.1  Texan1211  replied to  Sparty On @19    6 years ago

SOS EVERY DAY!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
20  Texan1211    6 years ago

TO ANYONE HONESTLY OPPOSED TO KAVANAUGH BECAUSE OF HIS JUDICIAL RECORD:

What in his JUDICIAL RECORD is cause for concern to you?

When have his majority opinions been struck down by a higher court, and why?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
20.1  Texan1211  replied to  Texan1211 @20    6 years ago

The silence speaks volumes.

Seems like perhaps NO ONE was genuine in their opposition to Kavanaugh based on his judicial record and are merely opposed because of who nominated him.

But I would love someone to actually prove me wrong.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
20.1.1  A. Macarthur  replied to  Texan1211 @20.1    6 years ago

Let’s stop sending members down a wrong road in order to move them away from the reality; the objection to Kavanaugh is not based on any of his decisions ... rather, it’s the intended set up predicated on stacking the court with a fifth Republican appointee which will enable all 5-4 outcomes to preclude Trump being questioned, subpoenaed, indicted and/or locked up no matter how egregious his misfeasance or crimes!

Kavanaught is the hand picked plant of the Heritage Foundation and the Federalist Society ... he is Trump’s get out of jail free card and enabler of "The Coronation of Trump!"

He is one of the five "tailors" who would, given the opportunity, sew the emperor’s new clothes for the first King of America!

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
20.1.2  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  A. Macarthur @20.1.1    6 years ago
it’s the intended set up predicated on stacking the court with a fifth Republican appointee

actually, there will be another before trump leaves office.        (read 6 / 3)

Sparty On
Professor Principal
20.1.3  Sparty On  replied to  A. Macarthur @20.1.1    6 years ago

Don't like it?    Change the constitution.    Otherwise your comment is much to do about nothing.   

Yeah, i'm sure it makes you feel good to get it out but that is about all it amounts to.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
20.1.4  Sunshine  replied to  A. Macarthur @20.1.1    6 years ago
the objection to Kavanaugh is not based on any of his decisions ...

certainly wouldn't want to appoint a Justice based on decisions.  thinking

Texan1211
Professor Principal
20.1.5  Texan1211  replied to  A. Macarthur @20.1.1    6 years ago

So, in other, truer wordsall the whining about documents being done by Senate Democrats is nothing more than a dog-and-pony show for the Democrats to look like they are actually doing something!?!?!?!?!

I am sure their base will be fooled by those antics.

But, kudos to you for at least admitting publicly that Kavanaugh is just a pawn in Democratic game-playing, and the Democrats have no real concern over him AT ALL BASED ON HIS ACTUAL JUDICIAL RECORD.

The saddest part is, despite Democratic histrionics, we ALL know some Democrats will vote to confirm this very fine choice.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
20.1.6  A. Macarthur  replied to  Sunshine @20.1.4    6 years ago

You can make rhetorical pronouncements or you can address the reality I shared with you. 

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
20.1.7  A. Macarthur  replied to  Texan1211 @20.1.5    6 years ago

The Democrats and the people are entitled to all relevant information for the very purpose of thwarting the very set up I described.

Now you’re up to date.

Kavanaugh is the pawn and kudos to you for realizing this is about a pawn, you just had him on the wrong side of the board.

Good debate!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
20.1.8  Texan1211  replied to  A. Macarthur @20.1.6    6 years ago

I don't believe you would recognize reality, based on your comments, if it walked up and slapped you in the face!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
20.1.9  Texan1211  replied to  A. Macarthur @20.1.7    6 years ago

Like I said, at least YOU have the guts to admit what is really going on here.

Democrats in the Senate simply won't admit to it, but, hey, they are YOURS!

So you have based your ENTIRE opposition to Kavanaugh on sheer suspicion and fantasy.

That sounds really, really SMART.

And yes, it IS necessary to say that was SARCASM.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
20.1.10  A. Macarthur  replied to  Texan1211 @20.1.8    6 years ago

You are not a gracious loser.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
20.1.11  Sunshine  replied to  A. Macarthur @20.1.7    6 years ago
The Democrats and the people are entitled to all relevant information for the very purpose of thwarting the very set up I described.

Why bother, if your "set up" is a reality as you proclaim, then the next pick will be the same.  Hardly doubt this can be dragged out until 2020.

The reality is the nominee should be affirmed based on many things not what President picked them.

Are you stating Obama did the same in order to stack the court in his favor?  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
20.1.12  Texan1211  replied to  A. Macarthur @20.1.7    6 years ago

What specific ruling has Kavanaugh made to lead you to think this way about him?

I would argue that him voting in the majority in such high percentages tells us MUCH more about him than your wild guesses could ever do.

Especially when you bother to look at real facts--like the court he sat on had more Democratic-appointed judges than Republican-appointed ones.

Seems like a man you claim will be such a "maverick" would not be swayed by politics, as evidenced by his fucking record.

But have fun with your dream and conspiracy theories and your little fantasies.

I'll toast you on the day Kavanaugh is confirmed, and throw in a towel to sop up the tears!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
20.1.13  Texan1211  replied to  A. Macarthur @20.1.10    6 years ago

That is freaking HILARIOUS, coming from someone who had done little else but bitch, moan, and cry since November 2016.

laughing dudeMakes No Sense

Sparty On
Professor Principal
20.1.14  Sparty On  replied to  Texan1211 @20.1.13    6 years ago

Not true, he does take a lot of nice Photographs ...... there is that.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
20.1.15  Sunshine  replied to  Texan1211 @20.1.13    6 years ago

too much MSNBC viewing

untitled.png

Texan1211
Professor Principal
20.1.16  Texan1211  replied to  Sunshine @20.1.15    6 years ago

Great!!!

LMAO!

laughing dude

Texan1211
Professor Principal
20.1.17  Texan1211  replied to  Sparty On @20.1.14    6 years ago

Pity his obvious talent for photography doesn't translate into cogent political arguments.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
20.1.18  Tessylo  replied to  A. Macarthur @20.1.10    6 years ago

'You are not a gracious loser.'

Boy Howdy - you got that right!!!!!!!!!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
20.1.19  Tessylo  replied to  Sunshine @20.1.15    6 years ago

So classy!  So typical!  

The maturity of some folks here is quite underwhelming.  

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
20.1.20  Sunshine  replied to  Tessylo @20.1.19    6 years ago

awe....jealous of Rachel?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
20.1.21  Tessylo  replied to  Sunshine @20.1.20    6 years ago

crazy

Texan1211
Professor Principal
20.1.23  Texan1211  replied to  Sunshine @20.1.20    6 years ago

Well, we can't forget that little old Rachel scooped the world and proved that Trump paid taxes.

it was a GLORIOUS day for Democrats everywhere!

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
20.1.24  Sunshine  replied to  Kathleen @20.1.22    6 years ago

The nasty that comes from that mouth is preaching about classy.  Eye Roll

Tessylo
Professor Principal
20.1.25  Tessylo  replied to  Sunshine @20.1.20    6 years ago

'awe....jealous of Rachel?'

No but I bet you are.  She is quite intelligent and has grace and decorum. . . . 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
20.1.26  Tessylo  replied to  Tessylo @20.1.25    6 years ago

I forgot to mention, Rachel also has class.  

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
20.1.28  A. Macarthur  replied to  Texan1211 @20.1.17    6 years ago
Pity his obvious talent for photography doesn't translate into cogent political arguments.

Not everyone is astute enough to "get the picture" … or … forthright enough to acknowledge that a winning image isn't a "fake news," Photoshopped fraud, rather a correctly exposed inconvenient truth.

But thank you otherwise for the compliment re: photography talent; you might have been equally complimentary had you been privy to my 30+ years of handing plaintiffs their asses upon wrongly placing my clients into adverse actions via faulty, or, lack of, "evidence."

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
20.1.29  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Sunshine @20.1.15    6 years ago

laughing dude  thumbs up  Clapping

Texan1211
Professor Principal
20.1.30  Texan1211  replied to  A. Macarthur @20.1.28    6 years ago

Your former career or current career doesn't make cogent arguments, either.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
20.1.31  A. Macarthur  replied to  Texan1211 @20.1.30    6 years ago

They do, but only to clear thinking recipients.

Junior Participates
21  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו    6 years ago
What I keep pointing out to apparently no avail is that the decisions by SCOTUS, whether unanimous or not, hold the same weight under law until reversed.

If this is what you meant as a that qualifier (13.2.3 above):

it's impossible to tell you were somehow making a reference to stare decisis.  But I'll take your word for that's what you had in mind. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
21.1  Texan1211  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @21    6 years ago

I don't care what you take my words as.

If you don't understand what I write, ask for clarification.

But since you mentioned it, I will explain:

SCOTUS decisions all have the same weight of law when applied, whether the decision was 9-0 or 5-4.

That is why Roe v. Wade makes abortion legal, and it doesn't matter whether the decision was split or not.

And yes, sometimes dissenting opinions are cited in court cases. As are majority opinions, but far more.

Junior Participates
21.1.1  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Texan1211 @21.1    6 years ago
SCOTUS decisions all have the same weight of law when applied, whether the decision was 9-0 or 5-4.

Congratulations!  You've now clarified something that no one claimed and that which was not clear at all in your initial effort.  Now, why was that so painful?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
21.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @21.1.1    6 years ago

Clear to most. Sorry you didn't get it any of the other times I said it.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
22  Texan1211    6 years ago

Challenge STILL OPEN AND UNMET:

Based on his judicial record, why are you opposed to Kavanaugh, based on what cases, and were those decisions reversed?

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
22.2  A. Macarthur  replied to  Texan1211 @22    6 years ago
It's not ONLY about Kavanaugh's decisions , so, please stop misinforming and misdirecting.

See  1.1.14

Texan1211
Professor Principal
22.2.1  Texan1211  replied to  A. Macarthur @22.2    6 years ago

How is asking what in his judicial record is bothering some keeps bothering you so much?

I think it is because as hard as you try, you can find nothing to disqualify him based on his record.

Which is why I see lots of spinning and misdirection.

Typical day.

Yawn. 
SOSDD

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
22.2.2  A. Macarthur  replied to  Texan1211 @22.2.1    6 years ago

Check the definition of the word “only” and then go back and read the answer to the deceptively posited question you continue to ask ... in hopes that you’ll sucker some into responding to your logical fallacy.

Your premise is false; Kavanaugh’s judicial record is only part of what defines his positions on key issues.

ONLY ... small word, significant distinction you deceptively imply in your false premise,

Good night.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
22.2.3  Texan1211  replied to  A. Macarthur @22.2.2    6 years ago

If I wanted to know ANY of the other reasons why someone is opposed to Kavanaugh, then I would have asked that. God knows enough has been spewed on THOSE reasons that such a question isn't necessary.

But that isn't what I asked, because I wanted to see who really objected to Kavanaugh as a judge, based on real trials and real decisions--not on what ifs and maybes.

Every time someone asks something you don't like, you pull this crap. Take it to someone else.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
22.3  A. Macarthur  replied to  Texan1211 @22    6 years ago

You are challenging members to take a position on the basis of your false premise … Kavanaugh's writings are more telling than decisions made on specific cases and thus, limited issues.

false premise is an incorrect proposition that forms the basis of an argument or syllogism. Since the premise(proposition, or assumption) is not correct, the conclusion drawn may be in error. ... For example, consider this syllogism, which involves a false premise: If the streets are wet, it has rained recently.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
22.3.1  Texan1211  replied to  A. Macarthur @22.3    6 years ago

I call bullshit on that.

Here is why:

NOT A FALSE PREMISE.

Period.

Stop.

If no one is opposed to Kavanaugh based on his judicial record, just freaking SAY SO.

Play you little word games with someone else.

Dulay
Professor Expert
22.3.2  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @22.3.1    6 years ago
If no one is opposed to Kavanaugh based on his judicial record, just freaking SAY SO.

I'm opposed to Kavanaugh based on his judicial record. I disagree with his opinions on:

Garza

PRIESTS FOR LIFE

SISSEL

SEVEN-SKY

MENORAH MEDICAL CENTER

So why don't you review those cases and tell me why I shouldn't oppose Kavanaugh's based on that judicial record. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
22.3.3  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @22.3.2    6 years ago

Thank you for answering--I have been asking the same questions to all---including you--for 3 days now.

This is the ONLY freaking answer I have got.

Garza--Kavanaugh made a compelling argument that the government has an interest in a minor child without anyone here and no one to talk to getting an abortion.

He specifically wasn't opposed to the actual abortion--he wanted for her to be given a sponsor--someone to talk to and advise if asked, and also stressed the time limit she was under regarding the abortion deadline approaching.

In Priest for Life, Kavanaugh cited SCOTUS precedent of Hobby Lobby. Precedent is very important to him, which is why I love it when some get all frothy over him, thinking he will overturn Roe v. Wade. And SCOTUS upheld him in that case.

Sissel was a suit about whether the ACA originated on the House or not. It raised revenues, and all revenue bills must originate in the House. It was a more technical case--not really about the merits of the ACA. Kavanaugh agreed that the bill did begin in the House and thus satisfied the Origination Clause.

Seven Sky case- Kavanaugh considered the insurance mandate a tax--a position so popular that the Obama Administration adopted it and argued at SCOTUS that the mandate WAS a tax, despite months of claiming otherwise.

In Menorah, which was a unanimous decision, the decision was made because the meeting between employer and employees was not mandatory. Also, the hospital was required by law to set up a peer review system, which then reported any possible infractions to a state board, which determined any penalties--not the hospital. The court found that employees were not entitled to union representation at voluntary meetings.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
22.3.4  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @22.3.2    6 years ago

I won't tell you not to oppose him for those cases--everyone has the same rights to agree or not agree.

Doesn't make me right and you wrong or vice-versa because we disagree on Kavanaugh.

I just wanted to hear any cogent argument to oppose him based on his judicial record.

Obviously these cases were or are important to you, so why do you disagree with his decisions?

Dulay
Professor Expert
22.3.5  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @22.3.3    6 years ago
Thank you for answering--I have been asking the same questions to all---including you--for 3 days now.

Hey, cut me some slack, my wife has been sick since Saturday. I'm just catching up...

Garza

Bullshit. Kavanaugh was well aware of the time it takes to get a 'sponsor' and he intentionally drug out the process. 

The minor had PLENTY of people to 'talk to' including women @ the shelter she was being held in, teachers, counselors, medical staff, lawyers [female] and the Texas judge that heard her first hearing. 

She was 17. If she had committed a fucking crime, they would have thrown her in adult lockup and prosecuted her as an adult. 

Priest for Life

The ruling was returned for reconsideration, it wasn't overturned. 

BTW, precedent is ONLY important to him as long as he is a lower court judge. After that, he will happy join the party and overturn precedent. See his email...

Sissel

Kavanaugh didn't 'agree', he dissented in that case. 

Seven Sky 

The ACA mandate case started well before the Seven Sky hearing and since amicus briefs had already been filed in those cases and with the SCOTUS, arguing that it was a tax when Kavanaugh wrote his dissent, let's NOT pretend that Kavanaugh instigated the Obama Administration's argument. It's a ridiculous posit. 

Secondly, Kavanaugh's dissent stated that the court had no jurisdiction because of the 'Anti-injunction Act'. The SCOTUS obviously disagreed. 

Menorah

I disagree with the ruling in total. 

I note that you gave me a litany of his opinions but NO reason WHY I should support Kavanaugh because of them. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
22.3.6  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @22.3.5    6 years ago

Um, I was never trying to convince you to approve of Kavanaugh. I don't care if you agree with him or not.

All I wanted, as stated NUMEROUS times, was someone to actually object to something Kavanaugh did while on the bench.

Not because of some email or because someone said he did this or that or thinks this or that, but verifiable facts based on cases. Now, we can continue to disagree about his decisions, but I say how many times he has been upheld vs. how many times he was reversed is a pretty good argument in his favor.

I do think, in my opinion, that you are basing a lot of your personal opinion of him on speculation as to what you think he will do when confirmed. I will continue to judge ALL nominees based on their record as a judge.

Hope your wife recovers quickly.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
22.3.7  A. Macarthur  replied to  Texan1211 @22.3.1    6 years ago

Another deceptive logical fallacy. His judicial record could subjectively be flawless while his personal position in cases he never judged could be compromising in cases to come before him.

You can play this game and punctuate it with ad hominem crap, but it doesn’t fit the realities.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
22.3.8  Texan1211  replied to  A. Macarthur @22.3.7    6 years ago

Please take your endless word games elsewhere.

Dulay
Professor Expert
22.3.9  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @22.3.6    6 years ago
I do think, in my opinion, that you are basing a lot of your personal opinion of him on speculation as to what you think he will do when confirmed.

No need to speculate, I pointed out some of his opinions that I believe to be his judicial philosophy. You want him to be judged on his record but not have me 'speculate' what his record illustrates? 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
22.3.10  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @22.3.9    6 years ago

You can not speculate on his record--it is simply fact.

What I said was that I feel you base your opinion on him more on what you THINK he'll do once confirmed vs. what he has actually done as a judge.

Dulay
Professor Expert
22.3.11  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @22.3.10    6 years ago
What I said was that I feel you base your opinion on him more on what you THINK he'll do once confirmed vs. what he has actually done as a judge.

I am basing what I think he will do IF confirmed on what he has actually done as a judge. 

So here's MY question to you. Do you think that Kavanaugh should be confirmed after committing perjury in all three of his confirmation hearings? 

Dulay
Professor Expert
22.3.12  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @22.3.10    6 years ago
You can not speculate on his record--it is simply fact.

Oh and I have to say that Kavanaugh did JUST THAT in the record. He unequivocally stated what the conservative judges would vote for...the only one he wasn't sure about was O'Connor. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
22.3.13  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @22.3.12    6 years ago

I really don't think Kavanaugh speculated on hos own record--that would be rather ridiculous.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
22.3.14  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @22.3.11    6 years ago

No perjury.

Dulay
Professor Expert
22.3.15  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @22.3.13    6 years ago
I really don't think Kavanaugh speculated on hos own record--that would be rather ridiculous.

He sure as hell made predictions on how SCOTUS Justice's would vote.  

Dulay
Professor Expert
22.3.16  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @22.3.14    6 years ago
No perjury.

So the evidence that he DID receive confidential Democratic party documents doesn't bother you a bit. Got ya. It IS evidence of perjury, no matter what you claim though. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
22.3.17  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @22.3.16    6 years ago

Okey-dokie then.

I can tell that the whole hearing was nothing but a show for Democrats to appear tough.

Booker especially. Funny thing is, despite his wanting to know everything, he had already stated he was going to vote against Kavanaugh, The rest of all his little rants was window dressing to gin up his constituents.

Dulay
Professor Expert
22.3.18  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @22.3.17    6 years ago
Booker especially. Funny thing is, despite his wanting to know everything, he had already stated he was going to vote against Kavanaugh, The rest of all his little rants was window dressing to gin up his constituents.

So should I disregard the 'contribution' in the hearings of the GOP Senators who stated that they were going to vote FOR Kavanaugh? 

Junior Participates
22.4  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Texan1211 @22    6 years ago
Based on his judicial record, why are you opposed to Kavanaugh, based on what cases, and were those decisions reversed?

You've been referring to, without citing, a figure of being in the majority in 97% of his decisions.  Where do you get that number?  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
22.4.1  Texan1211  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @22.4    6 years ago

I have also been asking the very question you quoted without an answer.

Look it up yourself if it interests you that much.

I am not about to do your research when you won't answer the simplest of questions.

Junior Participates
22.4.2  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Texan1211 @22.4.1    6 years ago
I have also been asking the very question you quoted without an answer. Look it up yourself if it interests you that much.

Which question would that be?  And I had already look for that figure up before I asked you to back it up (pretty much betting on the certainty it would be bogus) and the one and only reference to anything with his name and 97% was this partial sentence part of a WSJ editorial on the google search that was :

"Some 97% of the opinions and orders that Judge Kavanaugh took part in over ..."

When I went to that article it was behind a firewall and I'm not about to buy a subscription to the WSJ.  But what my research did tell me is that if this is your source, it comes from a pro-Kavanaugh opinion piece from the very rightwing WSJ editorial page.  If that's the source for your claim, no wonder you've been refusing to divulge it.  By definition it would be some kind of variation or combination of deceit, rightwing invented arithmetic and just plain BS.  

Thanks for playing our game.  I'm sorry but there is no consolation prize.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
22.4.3  Texan1211  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @22.4.2    6 years ago

AH, I see the problem now.

You keep on wanting to play games while I am more serious.

I am sure you can find some playbuddies here.

Have fun.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
23  A. Macarthur    6 years ago
Booker releases 'committee confidential' Kavanaugh email at risk of suspension from the Senate

The Democrats of the Senate Judiciary Committee are on a roll. And they’re taking some risks to get their points across. 

https://twitter.com/rpbp/status/1037700625302257665?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 6, 2018</a></blockquote> ">
RPBP   🏳️‍🌈
@rpbp

@ CoryBooker is committing an act of civil disobedience. He is going to release Kavanaugh's racial profiling email.

He's doing it because he wants to prove to the public that the documents being withheld have nothing to do with national security.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
23.1  It Is ME  replied to  A. Macarthur @23    6 years ago

Gotta luv it when Democrat Liberals think it's great when one of their own is willing to "Break the Rules" under the guise of "Justice", yet sit there and whine and cry when they think Trump, and even in this Kavanaugh Hearing, they say the Republicans are "Breaking the Rules" and should be stopped.

What a bunch of Hypocrites.

I hear that "Some Leaks" aren't as Illegal as "Other Leaks", depending on which Democrat you speak to !

Junior Participates
23.1.1  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  It Is ME @23.1    6 years ago
What a bunch of Hypocrites.

What rule was McConnell following when he refused to allow Merrick Garland a hearing?  Republicans:  Hypocrites R' Us.  Don't pretend you give a shit about rules. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
23.1.2  It Is ME  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @23.1.1    6 years ago

We are on Kavanaugh. Didn't you get the memo ?

I thought Liberal types told everyone it is ludicrous to dwell on the past now ?

Did that "Change" ……. AGAIN !

Junior Participates
23.1.3  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  It Is ME @23.1.2    6 years ago
We are on Kavanaugh. Didn't you get the memo ?

I'll leave it to the creator of this discussion to decide if discussing SC nominations in general is off topic.   

It Is ME
Masters Guide
23.1.4  It Is ME  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @23.1.3    6 years ago

Okay ? stunned

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
23.1.5  A. Macarthur  replied to  It Is ME @23.1    6 years ago

You have that in reverse, my friend … cart before the horse.

I hope other democrats follow Booker's lead and release other "committee confidential" documents and, in doing so, declare to Americans …

"YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO KNOW WHEN A POTENTIAL JUSTICE-FOR-LIFE IS LYING TO YOU!"

GaJenn78
Sophomore Silent
23.1.6  GaJenn78  replied to  It Is ME @23.1    6 years ago

From what I understand, those documents were already cleared to be released, and a lot of Senators knew he was going to do it (on both sides). It was a lot of showboating for nothing.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
23.1.7  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @23.1.1    6 years ago
What rule was McConnell following when he refused to allow Merrick Garland a hearing?

Biden rule..................

It Is ME
Masters Guide
23.1.8  It Is ME  replied to  GaJenn78 @23.1.6    6 years ago

Me thinks this Booker guy is looking to run for President in 2020, so what better way to make him look like a martyr than now. angel

"He's sooooo wonderful and full of that Loooooove and justice Stuff " ! Eye Roll

GaJenn78
Sophomore Silent
23.1.9  GaJenn78  replied to  It Is ME @23.1.8    6 years ago

Thats what the rumors are LOL. I just watched an interview with the Bush records rep and he said those records were cleared for release last night and that he was surprised by Bookers "histrionics". I actually read them a few hours ago. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
23.1.10  It Is ME  replied to  GaJenn78 @23.1.9    6 years ago

Durbin was "Dumb"....founded, as to who these people were that could make a decision on what was confidential or not. Imagine electing one into office numerous times, and he admits he doesn't know WTF is going on, or who people in his own building are. Face Palm

It Is ME
Masters Guide
23.1.11  It Is ME  replied to  A. Macarthur @23.1.5    6 years ago

Julian Paul Assange and Edward Joseph Snowden are "Wanted Criminals" for doing such.

But then you Have Mr./Miss Chelsea Elizabeth Manning. That was okay because HE....wanted to be a …...SHE ! So nothing to see there. Makes No Sense

GaJenn78
Sophomore Silent
23.1.12  GaJenn78  replied to  It Is ME @23.1.10    6 years ago

They're politicians, professional bullshitters LOL, all of them. 

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
23.1.13  Skrekk  replied to  A. Macarthur @23.1.5    6 years ago

I really like Booker.   It sounds like some of the documents reveal some racist views on the part of Kavanaugh as well as his anti-choice views.

If true then I'm not surprised that the GOP tried to keep them from the public.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
23.1.15  Sparty On  replied to  Release The Kraken @23.1.14    6 years ago

Yeah but the drones eat that shit with a spoon ...... and usually ask for seconds, thirds, fourths and so on .....

GaJenn78
Sophomore Silent
23.1.16  GaJenn78  replied to  Release The Kraken @23.1.14    6 years ago

They are also available for the public to read

Sparty On
Professor Principal
23.1.18  Sparty On  replied to  Release The Kraken @23.1.17    6 years ago

Well now, we can't let the herd know that now can we?    Keep digging for more stuff that can be interpreted negatively towards the T and K men ..... the drones will thank us in the morning, then we can .... release the Drones!!!

GaJenn78
Sophomore Silent
23.1.19  GaJenn78  replied to  Release The Kraken @23.1.17    6 years ago

My sister thinks he didn't even read past the subject line, and thought he had something. 

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
23.1.21  Skrekk  replied to  Release The Kraken @23.1.14    6 years ago
You know Booker was playing to the camera, the emails were already cleared for release. LOL

At least that's what the GOP claims now despite the threats Cornyn was making against Booker.   Looks like Booker forced their hand.

It's all over the news now. Booker is an Idiot.

What "news"?   Faux News or real news?

lib50
Professor Silent
23.1.22  lib50  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @23.1.7    6 years ago
Biden rule..................

When was that a rule?  When was that ever used?  Hint:  NEVER.  It was a comment by Biden, nothing else.  Never a policy, never done.  Until the GOP pulled it out of their asses.  So I'd call that a big fat GOP LIE that has been in circulation for a couple of years.  I hope one day every shit thing GOP has done comes back to haunt them big time.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
23.1.24  A. Macarthur  replied to  GaJenn78 @23.1.6    6 years ago
Remember when you Trumpians were justifying the hacked e-mails because “it doesn’t matter as long as it gets the truth out there,” ... remember?

Actually, while you’ll conveniently forget that, what goes around comes around. And you’ll soon be learning there are documents that will show that Kavanaugh has committed perjury in 2006 and at least one other time. 

So while some of you think his judicial record is "mpeccable," he may end up being impeached from his current judicial position.

And I have no intention of playing the usual word games with any of you Trump folks. I stand by my comment and will let time prove me right or wrong.

Only those who wish to hide the truth, withhold that which may reveal what that truth happens to be.

See you in Trump guys in discovery.

GaJenn78
Sophomore Silent
23.1.25  GaJenn78  replied to  A. Macarthur @23.1.24    6 years ago

I have no idea why this comment was to me. Nothing in my comment had anything to do with what you just said to me.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
23.1.26  A. Macarthur  replied to  GaJenn78 @23.1.25    6 years ago

You characterized Booker’s release of a document as “showboating.” My comment explains why bringing such so-called “secret documents” into the light of day is important, and, provides one very specific reason as rob why Republicans want certain documents kept secret.

There is no bigger showboated/grandstander than Trump himself, generally running his mouth, not to inform, but to invite via lies and demagoguery.

Be consistent ... if you object to showboating ... nail all of it.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
23.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  A. Macarthur @23    6 years ago

Booker just clowned himself.

The really sad part is some people actually fell for it.

Junior Participates
24  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו    6 years ago

You've been referring to, without citing, a figure of being in the majority in 97% of his decisions.  Where do you get that number?  

It Is ME
Masters Guide
24.1  It Is ME  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @24    6 years ago
Where do you get that number? 

The Senators on the Committee. It's been on the TV for the last three days. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
24.1.2  It Is ME  replied to  Release The Kraken @24.1.1    6 years ago
If they weren't in politics they'd be shoveling rocks somewhere or taking our order and asking us if we want the combo.

Why do you think they fight so hard to get re-elected.

Based on your comment, Pelosi says it best of all about themselves:

"We have to vote for it, so we can know what's in it". Makes No Sense

In even simpler wording:

"It gives us 4 more years to ignore it if you do" ! goofy

It Is ME
Masters Guide
24.1.4  It Is ME  replied to  Release The Kraken @24.1.3    6 years ago

Or....

Stop voting "Name Recognition" so these bozos don't get "Tenure". Ya know how hard it is to fire one with "Tenure". thinking

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
24.1.5  Sunshine  replied to  It Is ME @24.1.4    6 years ago

We will never see term limits.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
25  A. Macarthur    6 years ago

THE SPECIFICS!

The New Jersey Democrat  referred to the documents  Thursday when he asked Kavanaugh about an email that described preferences for minorities who faced discrimination as a "naked racial set-aside." The document had been declared confidential by a veteran Republican lawyer who has represented Trump administration officials.

During the hearing on Th ursday, Booker had said he would release the documents despite the consequences.

"The emails being withheld from the public have nothing to do with national security," Booker said. 

Senate Majority Whip John Cornyn, R-Texas, a member of the Senate GOP leadership that disregarded legislative norms and refused to consider President Barack Obama's nomination of Judge Merrick Garland for the Supreme Court, called Booker's threat "irresponsible and outrageous."

"No senator deserves to sit on this committee or serve in the Senate in my view if they decide to be a law unto themselves," Cornyn said.

Traditionally, the National Archives would review Kavanaugh's papers from his time in the federal courts and his tenure in President George W. Bush's White House, a process that will take until the end of next month.

Instead, Senate Judiciary Committee Republicans, over Democratic objections, had Bush lawyer Bill Burck, a veteran Republican attorney who also has represented Trump administration officials go through the papers and decide which ones the panel can see, and which of those can be made public.

Papers released to the members of the committee but not allowed to be made public are considered "committee confidential."

Dulay
Professor Expert
25.1  Dulay  replied to  A. Macarthur @25    6 years ago

Just because Burke released the 'hold' on the documents doesn't mean that they are no longer 'Committee confidential'. That is unless Sen. Grassley relinquished his Chairmanship over to Burke. 

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
25.1.1  A. Macarthur  replied to  Dulay @25.1    6 years ago
(deleted)

Dulay
Professor Expert
25.1.2  Dulay  replied to  A. Macarthur @25.1.1    6 years ago

I think you are mistaking me for someone else...

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
25.1.3  A. Macarthur  replied to  Dulay @25.1.2    6 years ago

My bad and I sincerely apologize; indeed the comment was intended for someone else ... I will take it down and repost it where intended.

Again, my apology.

Dulay
Professor Expert
25.1.5  Dulay  replied to  A. Macarthur @25.1.3    6 years ago

No worries. 

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
25.1.6  A. Macarthur  replied to    6 years ago

Another post, another whistle past the grave yard and another weak-ass-I-have-nothing-of-substance-to-add-so-I’ll-rag-on-type-face-choices-then-flag-any-all-come-backs.

Truly Trumpian.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
25.1.7  A. Macarthur  replied to  Dulay @25.1    6 years ago

Such a rule is arbitrary and capricious and may be subject to the FOA.

And I question expulsion from the Senate as a viable sanction since a duly elected Senator can only be dismissed via due process.

Trump ass kissers make up shit to pander to the Jess Willard crowd.

Dulay
Professor Expert
25.1.8  Dulay  replied to  A. Macarthur @25.1.7    6 years ago
Such a rule is arbitrary and capricious and may be subject to the FOA.

It came out in the hearing that there is NO actual 'rule' about how a document is characterized as 'Committee confidential'.

Grassley was making up shit as he went along during this hearing...

Grassley stated, that as Chairman, he had the authority to act 'for the Committee'. In all prior confirmation hearings, 'Committee confidential' documents were minimal [in some cases, just one line in a document] AND agreed to by the Chairman AND the Ranking member. 

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
25.1.9  A. Macarthur  replied to  A. Macarthur @25.1.7    6 years ago

That should read, FOIA ... Freedom of Information Act.

Dulay
Professor Expert
26  Dulay    6 years ago
"The Department of Justice, which has advised both Democratic and Republican administrations on the application of the Presidential Records Act and constitutional privileges, was responsible for determining which documents were produced to the Senate Judiciary Committee," Justice Department spokesperson Sarah Isgur Flores said.

WTF is 'constitutional privilege'?

As far as I can find, it doesn't exist. 

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
26.1  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Dulay @26    6 years ago
WTF is 'constitutional privilege'? As far as I can find, it doesn't exist.

I think it's something that the Republicans and, Trump came up with to "fast track" another judicial appointee through the system.

A. Macarthur
Professor Guide
26.1.2  A. Macarthur  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @26.1    6 years ago

Sunshine Law, FOA ...

Dulay
Professor Expert
26.1.3  Dulay  replied to    6 years ago
At this point...what difference does it make. The clown show hearings are over and he will be confirmed easily.

Yes Wally, I realize that y'all have come to believe that the ends justify the means...more's the pity. 

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
26.1.4  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to    6 years ago
The clown show hearings are over and he will be confirmed easily.

Maybe, some shit was exposed during the hearings that some of the Republican Senators don't like or, have campaigned on in the past, if they confirm then the folks back home will know they don't give a flying fuck about those issues and, might not vote for them this time around, which means they will lose their comfy little jobs.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
26.1.5  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to    6 years ago
At this point...what difference does it make. The clown show hearings are over and he will be confirmed easily.

As I said, there are Republicans that would be committing political suicide by voting to confirm, here's one,

Throughout her more than two decades in the Senate, Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine) has positioned herself as an independent Republican who vigorously favors a woman’s right to reproductive choice.
She cemented that reputation last year, when she cast a critical vote to stop the Trump administration from repealing the Affordable Care Act and stripping health care from thousands of her constituents.
And, for her entire career, Collins has appeared to be truly committed to a pro-abortion rights position.

All it would take is three Republicans changing their vote in the Senate and, Kavanaugh would be out.