╌>

F.D.A. Cracks Down on Juul and E-Cigarette Retailers

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  6 years ago  •  22 comments

F.D.A. Cracks Down on Juul and E-Cigarette Retailers
The sleek Juul device, which looks like a flash drive, has become popular in high schools.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

WASHINGTON — The Food and Drug Administration on Wednesday declared that teenage use of electronic cigarettes has reached “an epidemic proportion,” and it put makers of the most popular devices on notice that they have just 60 days to prove they can keep their devices away from minors.

The order was part of a sweeping government action that targeted both makers and sellers of e-cigarettes. If Juul Labs and four other major manufacturers fail to halt sales to minors, the agency said, it could remove their flavored products from the market. It also raised the possibility of civil or criminal charges if companies are allowing bulk sales through their websites.

The   agency said it was sending warning letters to 1,100 retailers   — including 7-Eleven stores, Walgreens, Circle K convenience shops and Shell gas stations — and issued another 131 fines, ranging from $279 to $11,182, for selling e-cigarettes to minors.

Federal law prohibits selling e-cigarettes to anyone under 18. In a briefing with reporters, the F.D.A. commissioner, Dr. Scott Gottlieb, said that more than two million middle and high school students were regular users of e-cigarettes last year.

Read more at the seeded content

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    6 years ago

How does one put the cat back into the bag?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2  TᵢG    6 years ago
How does one put the cat back into the bag?

Time.   Measured in decades.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  TᵢG @2    6 years ago

Sad but true.

zuksam
Junior Silent
4  zuksam    6 years ago

I can see fining shops that sell to minors but going after bulk Web Sales just prevents adults from buying at lower prices. It's been a long time since I've been a minor but I can remember that it would have been impossible for me to get a package delivered to my house without my Parents finding out. If Minors are ordering from the internet their parents must be allowing it to happen or they're not paying attention. I guess these kids have their own Credit Cards, Paypal accounts, and PO Boxes that their parents don't know about for them to make and receive these purchases. I think the real problem is the States are pissed about Lost Revenue from Cigarette Taxes as Kids have chosen Vaping over Cigarettes. If they stop online sales the next step will be to tax E-Cigs to make up for the lost T-Cig Revenue.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
4.1  Ronin2  replied to  zuksam @4    6 years ago

Hadn't thought about the lost tax revenue.  That is a good point.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.2  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  zuksam @4    6 years ago

Zuksam,

There are many households that there are two working parents, so a package could come and no parent would know. I am not sure about how they would hide the sale, but my kids know a way of putting money into some sort of wallet system and pay for it from there, so really it is quite easy for kids to order online. 

Candy flavored nicotine could also be part of the problem, too. 

zuksam
Junior Silent
4.2.1  zuksam  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.2    6 years ago
Candy flavored nicotine could also be part of the problem, too

Yep ! My Friend Vapes and his 2nd hand smoke smells like Cherry Lollipops really strong. It just makes me want candy but I can see how this could attract children. Do they have Bacon Flavor ?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.2.2  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  zuksam @4.2.1    6 years ago
Do they have Bacon Flavor ?

LOL.. Now that is funny!

mocowgirl
Professor Quiet
4.3  mocowgirl  replied to  zuksam @4    6 years ago
I think the real problem is the States are pissed about Lost Revenue from Cigarette Taxes as Kids have chosen Vaping over Cigarettes.

Not to worry, vaping is just the first step to being hooked on cigarettes until death does them part.  Schools should be required to emphasize the dangers of nicotine on health in every health class beginning in grade school.  

A new study adds to a growing body of evidence linking the use of   electronic cigarettes   and other non-cigarette tobacco products to future use of conventional cigarettes in teens.

Adolescents who use these products, such as e-cigarettes,   hookahs , non-cigarette combustible tobacco or smokeless tobacco, are more likely to start smoking cigarettes within a year, according to the new research.

A warning that should be on all products that contain any level of nicotine.

Tobacco was first used as an insecticide in 1763.

The American Heart Association says that nicotine consumed from smoking tobacco is one of the hardest substances to quit. It is considered to be at least as hard as quitting heroin.

Lowering the nicotine levels to non-addictive levels should have been required and enforced a long time ago.

from the seed....

Risa Robinson , a professor of mechanical engineering at Rochester Institute of Technology, began studying e-cigarettes six years ago for the F.D.A. The early products did not have enough nicotine to cause concern, she said. But later products, like Juul, had more nicotine and, she said, can become even stronger depending on how deeply a user puffs.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.3.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  mocowgirl @4.3    6 years ago

Thanks for that info CMF!