╌>

Why hurricanes are doing more damage: It's us, not the storms

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  johnrussell  •  6 years ago  •  72 comments

Those moving to the coasts are living in larger houses and own more cars, but their houses are also closer together. That means more impervious surfaces - such as roads and rooftops - and less area for the floodwaters to go.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/msn/why-hurricanes-are-doing-more-damage-it%e2%80%99s-not-the-storms-it%e2%80%99s-us/ar-BBNe1WJ

Three catastrophic hurricanes made U.S. landfall within 30 days of each other last year, causing more than $250 billion in losses.

HurricaneDamageRestorationKauai.png

By the time the winds died down and the floodwaters receded, Harvey, Irma and Maria were three of the five most destructive hurricanes in U.S. history - and 2017 was the costliest hurricane season ever.

But despite that exceptional cluster of storms, it's not that hurricanes are getting stronger or more frequent that's making them more expensive.

It's that there's more in the way for the storms to destroy.

As Hurricane Florence takes aim at the Carolinas this week, emergency management officials, meteorologists and insurance companies are looking as much at what's in its path as they are the strength of the storm itself.

"The damage trend is obviously through-the-roof up, but most of that trend is due to population growth along the coastline," said Phil Klotzbach, a meteorologist at Colorado State University. "There's just more people in harm's way, unfortunately. And not only are there more people, but we're more affluent than our parents were."

Those moving to the coasts are living in larger houses and own more cars, but their houses are also closer together. That means more impervious surfaces - such as roads and rooftops - and less area for the floodwaters to go.

So even as better construction methods have reduced the wind damage in many places - especially Florida, where Hurricane Andrew in 1992 inspired an overhaul of building codes - storm surge and flooding have taken over as the primary concern.

The frequency and intensity of hurricanes have ebbed and flowed throughout the last century, but there has been no measurable increase in either over that time, several studies have found. If anything, in fact, there has been a slight decrease.

That doesn't mean that climate change isn't having an effect. As sea levels rise, storm surges are reaching farther inland.

And one study published in July showed that tropical cyclones across the world are actually slowing down. James Kossin of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration found the average hurricane slowed about 10 percent from 1946 to 2016.

Slower hurricanes - such as Hurricane Harvey - can dump more rain on an area before moving on, adding to their destructive power.

Last year's blitz of hurricanes was all the more unusual because the East Coast had enjoyed more than a decade of relative calm. Before Hurricane Harvey hit Texas in August 2017, the last major hurricane to hit the continental United States was Wilma in 2005.

Forecasters say it's too soon to tell how destructive Hurricane Florence will be - but it has the potential to be on par with last year's historically destructive storms.

"Florence is going to pose a triple threat of impacts in terms of high winds, coastal surge and then inland flood," said Steve Bowen, a meteorologist with risk management firm Aon Benfield.

He said much will depend on when, where and how fast it hits ground.

"You like to say in sports that it's often a game of inches," Bowen said. "In this case, it's a matter of miles that can make a difference of billions of dollars."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    6 years ago

It is true that we dont often hear of hurricanes hitting unpopulated areas any more. I guess every inch of shoreline is developed, more or less. 

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.4  cjcold  replied to  JohnRussell @1    6 years ago

And all of NASA and NOAA satellites, aircraft, ships at sea and boots on the ground work towards accuracy. 

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
2  Colour Me Free    6 years ago

Interesting reading thanks for seeding it .. makes sense to me .. yet one thing not mentioned regarding less area for the floodwater to go - is the filling in of and building on natural wet lands for those bigger houses.  No one lived there before because of swamps, ponds, marsh areas ect ..

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Colour Me Free @2    6 years ago

Human nature being what it is, you always assume the big storm is going to hit somewhere else, and of course, it usually does. 

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
2.1.1  Colour Me Free  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1    6 years ago

Good point..

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3  Perrie Halpern R.A.    6 years ago

We were powerless from Sandy for 11 days, but that was nothing to my friends who lived on the canals of the south shore. The homes all lost their bottom floors ( and remember we build with basements, too). But we never had a storm surge that entered the tunnels of NYC and flooded the whole Wall Street area. That was one nasty hurricane! 

lady in black
Professor Quiet
3.1  lady in black  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3    6 years ago

I can't imagine living in a house without a basement.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  lady in black @3.1    6 years ago

Here in Arkansas and much of the southeast, the water table is very close to the surface so houses don't come with basements

lady in black
Professor Quiet
3.1.2  lady in black  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.1    6 years ago

Basement pics

getPart?uid=30117968&partId=2&scope=STAN

getPart?uid=30117970&partId=2&scope=STAN

getPart?uid=30117969&partId=2&scope=STAN

getPart?uid=30117971&partId=2&scope=STAN

getPart?uid=30117967&partId=2&scope=STAN

Image may contain: living room, table and indoor

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.1.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  lady in black @3.1    6 years ago

I would love to have a basement.  I would turn it into guest quarters and it would also be a place to just relax.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
3.1.4  cjcold  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.1    6 years ago

Here in the land of Oz we dig basements and storm shelters due to the twisters.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.5  Trout Giggles  replied to  lady in black @3.1.2    6 years ago

That is very nice. A good place to have a glass of wine and read a book

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.6  Trout Giggles  replied to  cjcold @3.1.4    6 years ago

People here buy storm shelters. My daughter's in-laws put one under their garage in case of tornadoes. That means they have to move their car out of the way when a twister is bearing down on them. I prefer a hallway or a bathtub.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
3.1.7  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  lady in black @3.1    6 years ago

Don't move to Florida, no basements because of the water table.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
3.1.8  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.6    6 years ago

Storm shelters are good, if you have a tornado but, in a hurricane it can be a death trap, most are underground so, if you have flooding you end up in a box full of water, in a hurricane like this one you will have flooding.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
3.1.9  lady in black  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @3.1.7    6 years ago

I have no desire to ever move to Florida, too hot, I love have 4 seasons.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.10  Trout Giggles  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @3.1.8    6 years ago

We don't worry much about hurricanes but on occasion we get a tropical depression up from the Gulf and that can cause flooding.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
3.1.11  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  lady in black @3.1.9    6 years ago
I have no desire to ever move to Florida, too hot, I love have 4 seasons.

I gotta agree lady, I lived in Florida most of my childhood and, when I learned that there were actually four real seasons, well, I had to have them.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
3.1.12  cjcold  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.6    6 years ago

Many storm shelters around here started out as fallout shelters.

Recently met a guy who lives in an old nuclear missile silo.

Lived around here most of my life and didn't even know it existed.

user image
Freshman Silent
4      6 years ago

The frequency and intensity of hurricanes have ebbed and flowed throughout the last century, but there has been no measurable increase in either over that time, several studies have found. If anything, in fact, there has been a slight decrease.

That doesn't mean that climate change isn't having an effect. As sea levels rise, storm surges are reaching farther inland.

E.A Seems that More some read, the less they comprehend!

Read on " Conveyor changes " read what I posted Months ago about " Algorithms " and how they are no longer Viable because of the " Colder Nights and Hotter Days "

See what was the Original " Track " for Florence, and how much it has changed and it is YET to change, with the possibility that the LOW on the West will Join up!

But … But … But !!!   SO much for " Speak your Mind " and NT!!  Right!

user image
Freshman Silent
4.1    replied to  @4    6 years ago

Update::

Notice Jacksonville, Tallahassee Are almost the meeting point of the two storm systems, The Highs on either side and the Lows in the Middle mean that they both have one way to go, and that is?

All those in the storms " Line of Fire " take care and Godbless, for NO man/Woman can do anything but as the " evolutionists " would say Hope that Something comes from Nothing!

noaad3.gif?1536969216

user image
Freshman Silent
4.1.1    replied to  @4.1    6 years ago

https://radar.weather.gov/ridge/radar.php?rid=lix&overlays=11101111&product=N0R&loop=yes

cjcold
Professor Quiet
4.2  cjcold  replied to  @4    6 years ago

Pretty sure it is warmer nights.

user image
Freshman Silent
4.2.1    replied to  cjcold @4.2    6 years ago
Pretty sure it is warmer nights

E.A   Sure but not Scientific, You should know me by Now!

What is stressing and killing these mosses?

The scientists discovered evidence of a drying climate affecting the plants.

When their study started, the moss beds were dominated by a species called Schistidium antarctici, which can survive long periods under water. By 2013, many of the beds the team studied were being encroached by two other moss species that thrive in drier conditions and are less tolerant to being submerged.

East Antarctica, the researchers say, has become colder, windier and drier due to the combined effects of climate change and ozone depletion." 

E.A If you want me to rehash what I said to you and others myriads of times about " The Ozone Layer acts as a Blanket …. "

charger 383
Professor Silent
5  charger 383    6 years ago

Again, I say overpopulation is our biggest problem

cjcold
Professor Quiet
5.1  cjcold  replied to  charger 383 @5    6 years ago

Couldn't agree more.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6  Paula Bartholomew    6 years ago

If I lived in an area prone to these hurricanes, I would have Atlas Movers on speed dial.  It would not take long at all to load up as much as possible and get the hell out of Dodge.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
6.1  cjcold  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @6    6 years ago

I've lived in the land of Oz most of my life and have never seen a tornado.

user image
Freshman Silent
9      6 years ago

Update 2::

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCPAT1+shtml/151752.shtml?

PRESENT MOVEMENT...W OR 270 DEGREES AT 3 MPH...6 KM/H

A preliminary report from a cooperative observer near Swansboro,
North Carolina, indicates that more than 30 inches of rain has
fallen so far. That rainfall total breaks the tropical cyclone
rainfall record of 24.06 inches for North Carolina set during
Hurricane Floyd in 1999.

WIND:  Tropical storm conditions will continue today in portions of
the warning area along the coast and also over large portions of
eastern North Carolina and extreme eastern South Carolina, with
tropical-storm-force wind gusts spreading well inland.

TORNADOES:  A few tornadoes are possible in southeastern North
Carolina northeastern South Carolina today through tonight.

SURF:  Swells generated by Florence are affecting Bermuda, portions
of the U.S. East Coast, and the northwestern and central Bahamas.
These swells are likely to cause life-threatening surf and rip
current conditions.  Please consult products from your local weather
office.

NEXT ADVISORY
-------------
Next complete advisory at 500 PM EDT.

$$
Forecaster Stewart

user image
Freshman Silent
10      6 years ago

The Auto update of::

4.1  Eagle Averro  replied to  Eagle Averro @4    2 days ago

Shows exactly what I stated about the " Weather Pattern " So the Effective " Zone " of Florence now extends to  Alexandrea and New Iberia.

And all the way East to Canada! Rain is Making New Records, and it has a while to go!

user image
Freshman Silent
10.1    replied to  @10    6 years ago

user image
Freshman Silent
11      6 years ago

A livestock farm in eastern North Carolina photographed by Waterkeeper Alliance on Monday.
CreditRick Dove/Waterkeeper Alliance

Excess nitrates in groundwater, such as those associated with pig manure, are linked with health problems like blue baby syndrome. In some cases of the syndrome, nitrogen binds to the hemoglobin in a baby’s blood and makes red blood cells unable to carry oxygen. The syndrome’s name comes from the fact that the lack of oxygen causes the baby’s skin to take on a bluish tint. The syndrome can also be caused by heart defects.

Part of the problem, said Alexis Andiman, an associate attorney with the environmental nonprofit law firm Earthjustice, is that storm standards for pig lagoons currently date from the 1960s.

user image
Freshman Silent
12      6 years ago
hurricane-florence-environmental-hazards

Florence Floodwaters Breach Coal Ash Pond and Imperil Other Toxic Sites

user image
Freshman Silent
13      6 years ago

What ever happened to the Nuclear Plant and how much power was it producing during the Crises, and how " Green was/is it "?

user image
Freshman Silent
13.1    replied to  @13    6 years ago
What ever happened to the Nuclear Plant and how much power was it producing during the Crises, and how " Green was/is it "?

E.A ..::

Florence’s Floodwaters Breach Defenses at Power Plant, Prompting Shutdown

• Duke Energy shut down a power plant in Wilmington, N.C., on Friday after a dam at the site breached, potentially spilling coal ash into the nearby Cape Fear River.
  • The Environmental Protection Agency links the substances in coal ash to nervous-system problems, reproductive issues and cancer.
Water from the swollen Cape Fear River spilled over an earthen dike Thursday at the L.V. Sutton power plant. Duke Energy, via Associated Press

user image
Freshman Silent
13.2    replied to  @13    6 years ago

E.A ::

Florence Flooding Limits Road Access to Duke Nuclear Plant

By Reuters

(Reuters) - Duke Energy Corp said on Monday that its Brunswick nuclear power plant in North Carolina remained safely shut down despite limited road access to the site due to flooding from storm Florence.

The remnants of Florence, which came ashore as a hurricane on Friday, are still dropping heavy amounts of rain on the already waterlogged Carolinas, with officials warning the worst is yet to come as swollen rivers pose a growing threat.

Duke spokeswoman Mary Kathryn Green said there was road access to the Brunswick site but it was "limited access." She said there were about 300 people at the plant. There are usually more than 900 workers.

Over the weekend, Duke said that on-site conditions had prohibited the plant staff "from accessing the site via personal vehicles due to flooding of local roads," according to an unusual event report made available on the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission's website on Monday.

user image
Freshman Silent
14      6 years ago

Submerged by Florence, North Carolina’s Rural Towns Fight for Attention

Out of sight of the national spotlight on the devastation of Hurricane Florence, many small towns worry about being washed away unnoticed.

U.S.

user image
Freshman Silent
15      6 years ago

Ms. Brown boating through Ivanhoe, a town at the confluence of the Black and South Rivers.
Credit
Ilana Panich-Linsman for The New York Times

user image
Freshman Silent
16      6 years ago

"  

The evacuees at the gym said they were anxious to get back. They said they loved Ivanhoe and the way people there helped one another. Charles Lee, 62, half joked that if he helped one neighbor replace their drywall, others would notice and he would soon be doing the entire town’s.

Returning carries some dread. Elvira Malinek spent days digging channels to try to drain water from her house before she finally gave up and hailed a helicopter. She does not expect to be home for another week and does not know what she will find.

“The disaster just really starts for us now,” she said.    "

user image
Freshman Silent
17      6 years ago

Millions of Carolina Homes Are at Risk of Flooding. Only 335,000 Have Flood Insurance.

Here’s why the federal flood insurance program won’t pick up the slack.

Floodwaters inundated Lumberton, N.C., on Tuesday after Hurricane Florence. The town is some 70 miles from the coast.CreditCreditJohnny Milano for The New York Times

user image
Freshman Silent
18      6 years ago
https://nyti.ms/2Dbgp1v

Flooding in North Carolina, as Seen From a Drone By Niko Koppel and Bedel Saget

user image
Freshman Silent
19      6 years ago

When the helicopter landed in her neighborhood of Rocky Point, N.C., Amanda Parrish, due to give birth in three weeks, left with her fiancé, Dominique Lesine, and their son, Braylon.

user image
Freshman Silent
20      6 years ago

user image
Freshman Silent
21      6 years ago

So How does that Joined Storm Front look so far?

user image
Freshman Silent
22      6 years ago
CLX_loop.gif

user image
Freshman Silent
23      6 years ago

user image
Freshman Silent
24      6 years ago

Hackensack, N.J., was the scene of more than a dozen water rescues after flash flooding on Tuesday.
Credit

Bryan Anselm for The New York Times
By Nick Corasaniti and Michael Gold
Sept. 25, 2018

user image
Freshman Silent
25      6 years ago

Members of the Hackensack Fire Department’s Marine One unit evacuated a man on South Newman Street, a Hackensack, N.J., roadway prone to flooding.CreditCity of Hackensack Fire Department

user image
Freshman Silent
26      6 years ago

What is this seed about?

user image
Freshman Silent
26.1    replied to  @26    6 years ago

Good to see so many interested in what is happening NOW in real life to their fellow Citizens!

user image
Freshman Silent
26.2    replied to  @26    6 years ago