╌>

Elizabeth Smart pleads for reconsideration of kidnapper's release

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  badfish-hd-h-u  •  6 years ago  •  28 comments

Elizabeth Smart pleads for reconsideration of kidnapper's release
'It was a big shock' when she learned Wanda Barzee would be released, Smart told reporters Thursday"

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Elizabeth Smart, who was kidnapped as a 14-year-old and sexually abused for nine months before being rescued, urged authorities Thursday not to release one of her captors, 72-year-old Wanda Barzee.

The Utah Board of Pardons and Parole   announced Tuesday that Barzee would be released   from prison next Wednesday, a decision Smart told reporters during an afternoon news conference was "a very big shock."

She reiterated that Barzee, a mother of six, stood by as her husband, street pastor Brian David Mitchell, raped the then-teenage victim daily.

Mitchell, who took Smart at knife point, is serving life behind bars.

"I do believe she’s a threat," Smart said. Later, she added, "For me, I know the depth of her depravity."

Scott Williams, Barzee's attorney, told NBC affiliate   KSL   that his client would be released under terms that include supervision. NBC News reached out for his reaction to Smart's remarks but did not get an immediate response.

Barzee was sentenced in 2010 to 15 years in federal prison for her role in Smart's 2002 abduction from her Salt Lake City bedroom. In 2016, she was released but faced one to 15 years in state prison for a separate attempted abduction of Smart's cousin.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
2  Dismayed Patriot    6 years ago

"She reiterated that Barzee, a mother of six, stood by as her husband, street pastor Brian David Mitchell, raped the then-teenage victim daily."

It boggles the mind how anyone could rationalize that kind of behavior.

[deleted]

Maybe Barzee was being promised tax breaks and a judge appointment that would rule favorably towards her, wouldn't that justify her standing by and just watching the rape? It would seem so according to Republicans.

GaJenn78
Sophomore Silent
2.1  GaJenn78  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @2    6 years ago

[deleted]

NO, Did I go on forums and derail someones article? NO. For real, GTFOI, quit your bitching on articles that have nothing to do with your comment, take it to HD. Give it a fucking rest already

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
2.1.1  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  GaJenn78 @2.1    6 years ago

My, it seems I struck a nerve.

First, I think it's outrageous that anyone is contemplating releasing this monster. Elizabeth should be listened to by the parole courts and they should make such criminals serve their full terms.

Second, this article was posted under "News & Politics".

Third, your rant was far more off topic than my own which I tied into the seeded article at least twice.

GaJenn78
Sophomore Silent
3  GaJenn78    6 years ago

Why in the world is she going to be released????? She stood by and watched Elizabeth get raped everyday? Did nothing? WTF???? As to #2 comment..... this IS NOT a political seed, take that shit and hatred elsewhere, it is extremely off topic and has nothing to do with the article. The President or Republicans are NOT the topic! BF, I cannot flag for off topic

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
3.1  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  GaJenn78 @3    6 years ago

[deleted]

GaJenn78
Sophomore Silent
3.1.1  GaJenn78  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @3.1    6 years ago

FFS...... JESUS..... OK, I'll play, what is happening to your country that is so horrible? 

Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו
Junior Participates
3.1.2  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  GaJenn78 @3.1.1    6 years ago

[deleted]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  GaJenn78 @3.1.1    6 years ago

[deleted!]

GaJenn78
Sophomore Silent
3.1.4  GaJenn78  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @3.1.2    6 years ago

DO NOT EVER assume things about me or who I voted for. I always gave Obama credit where credit was due, and I have never disclosed who I voted for on here. I am an Indie. But I ask you the same question.... what is happening in the country that is so horrible? Besides the fact that he's a usual crappy dude in political power who loves his women? AKA, cheating on his wife..... JFK comes to mind, but he was a decent president. Who friggen cares???? Y'all are all fear mongering over RvW, and it's stupid. I'm a woman, and I don't feel threatened. I HAVE NEVER once thought my rights would be taken away from me. Why do y'all fear monger so much?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.5  Texan1211  replied to  GaJenn78 @3.1.4    6 years ago

It appears the sole litmus test for any SCOTUS nominee for Democrats is Roe v. Wade. Nothing else matters.

GaJenn78
Sophomore Silent
3.1.6  GaJenn78  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.5    6 years ago

I agree with that. RvW is suppose to be settled law, what else are they worried about? LGBT? I (me personally) think that is settled law too, who friggen cares? My daughters BFF dad is gay, had friggen 4 kids while he was married before he figured it out, who friggen cares? I am on the LGBT side, their life does not affect mine, and it doesn't affect anyone elses, I DGAF if we agree on it or not. What else are we worrying about with SC? I seriously think everything everyone, well, the hyper left wing protesters are doing is fear mongering.... Jesus Christ, fucking chill the hell out, and quit with the God Damn fear mongering! Y'all making me twitch..... for real though, give it a fucking rest and quit trying to rile people up

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.7  Texan1211  replied to  GaJenn78 @3.1.6    6 years ago

That is true. I wonder how many times Kavanaugh has to say he relies on precedent, and how many times in his rulings PROVE that he relies on precedent, before they realize he can't overturn Roe?

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
5  Sunshine    6 years ago

I feel bad for Elizabeth.  She has been a strong young girl. 

GaJenn78
Sophomore Silent
5.1  GaJenn78  replied to  Sunshine @5    6 years ago

I do too, she really didn't need this crap.... I'm glad the guy is in jail for life, but this lady allowed it to happen.... WHO does that???? what a sick beeotch

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
6  Dismayed Patriot    6 years ago

"Barzee had a troubled relationship with her children; one of her daughters would later refer to her as a "monster," and claimed that as a child, Wanda fed the child her pet rabbit for dinner"

Not only was she a monster for her inaction, it seems she has a history of cruelty herself as well.

Makes one wonder what could push people to such vile behavior.

"Together, Mitchell and Barzee were actively involved in the LDS Church , though Mitchell's religious views would become increasingly extreme"

Oh yeah, religious extremism, the same reason we see all sorts of horror in the world today.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
7  Freefaller    6 years ago

I don't like it either, but if this is a legal decision then we have no choice to tolerate it