╌>

Trump adviser eyes entitlement cuts to plug budget gaps

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jbb  •  6 years ago  •  402 comments

"Starving the beast" is a political strategy used by budget hawks to limit government spending by cutting taxes. The term "the beast", in this context, refers to the United States Federal Government, which funds numerous programs and government agencies using mainly American taxpayer dollars". Wikipedia

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

A top economic adviser to President Donald Trump said Monday he expects U.S. budget deficits of about 4 percent to 5 percent of the country's economic output for the next one to two years, adding that there would likely be an effort in 2019 to cut spending on entitlement programs.

"We have to be tougher on spending," White House economic adviser Larry Kudlow said in remarks to the Economic Club of New York, adding that government spending was the reason for the wider budget deficits, not the Republican-led tax cuts activated this year.

Kudlow did not specify where future cuts would be made.

"We're going to run deficits of about 4 to 5 percent of GDP for the next year or two, OK. I'd rather they were lower but it's not a catastrophe," Kudlow said. "Going down the road, of course we'd like to slim that down as much as possible and we'll work at it."

He stated that the biggest factor for revenue was economic growth rate. A quicker pace of growth will bring in more revenue, Kudlow said, and that President Donald Trump's economic policies were aimed at boosting the U.S. growth rate.

Kudlow also said he did not expect the Congress would be able to make the Trump administration's recent individual tax cuts permanent before the Nov. 6 midterm congressional elections.

"I don't think it will get through the whole Congress" before the election, he said, but added that making the personal tax cuts permanent "is a good message" and disagreed with forecasts that they would further increase budget deficits.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JBB
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JBB    6 years ago

The gop has given huge tax breaks to the very very rich and to big multinational corporations resulting in our budget deficits exploding. The gop wants to cut benefits earmarked for the poor, the aged, children and veterans to pay for their hubris...

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.2  It Is ME  replied to  JBB @1    6 years ago
The gop has given huge tax breaks to the very very rich and to big multinational corporations resulting in our budget deficits exploding.

I'm neither, but getting to keep more of MY MONEY has been great. I Earned it, as has everyone else the "Left" likes to Chastise.

The "Left" only loves those that don't pay shit !

JBB
Professor Principal
2  seeder  JBB    6 years ago

That was the damn gop's plan all along. To slash income so as to justify cutting the programs that help Americans in need...

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.1  Tacos!  replied to  JBB @2    6 years ago
slash income so as to justify cutting the programs that help Americans in need

The pre-existing $20 trillion debt is pretty good justification, too. Isn't it plausible that there could be some welfare programs that we could or should cut? Politicians never want to cut back on anything. In what other aspect of life do people behave that way?

JBB
Professor Principal
2.1.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  Tacos! @2.1    6 years ago
The pre-existing $20 trillion debt is pretty good justification

If so then why did the damn gop blow up deficits again by cutting taxes on the rich and on big corporations?

epistte
Junior Guide
2.1.2  epistte  replied to  JBB @2.1.1    6 years ago
If so then why did the damn gop blow up deficits again by cutting taxes on the rich and on big corporations?

I'd like the supposed fiscal conservatives to answer this question. They love tax cuts, that don't create jobs or pay for themselves, but them they want to cut essential spending to pay for them. Apparently the poor and the sick can go without so the rich can get richer. 

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.1.3  Jack_TX  replied to  JBB @2.1.1    6 years ago

We cut taxes on corporations because we wanted to still have US corporations, and they were leaving in droves.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.1.4  Jack_TX  replied to  epistte @2.1.2    6 years ago

I was not in favor of the individual tax cuts.  I recognized the corporate cuts as necessary.  

But I do not accept the traditional bleeding heart liberal premise that "just because somebody is poor that means I should have to buy them stuff".

epistte
Junior Guide
2.1.5  epistte  replied to  Jack_TX @2.1.4    6 years ago
I was not in favor of the individual tax cuts.  I recognized the corporate cuts as necessary.  

How were the corporate tax cuts necessary?  How did we benefit because they got tax cuts?

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2.1.6  MrFrost  replied to  epistte @2.1.2    6 years ago
They love tax cuts,

Indeed they do, we all do, but the reality is that if we want to INCREASE our spending, (as a nation), tax cuts are a stupid fucking idea. It really is that simple. 

epistte
Junior Guide
2.1.7  epistte  replied to  MrFrost @2.1.6    6 years ago
Indeed they do, we all do, but the reality is that if we want to INCREASE our spending, (as a nation), tax cuts are a stupid fucking idea. It really is that simple. 

If that same money had been spent on infrastructure improvements we could have created thousands of direct and indirect jobs.  The improvements would have benefited all of the county, even those who don't work in construction.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.1.8  Jack_TX  replied to  epistte @2.1.5    6 years ago

We get the same benefit a business does when it lowers prices to stay competitive. We get to keep collecting revenue.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2.1.9  MrFrost  replied to  Jack_TX @2.1.8    6 years ago
We get the same benefit a business does when it lowers prices to stay competitive. We get to keep collecting revenue.

The problem is that a business almost never lowers it's prices. A "sale" just means that the price of something else is increased to cover the, "sale". If you think for second that "big business" is on the side of the consumer you are lying to yourself. 

Lets put it another way... Now I don't know you, so I mean no offense here..

Lets say you and your spouse each make 75k a year...150k total after taxes. You own your home and your cars are both paid off...

Your spouse loses their job, cutting your income in half. The next day, your spouse says, "hey, since I lose my job, I am going to go down and buy us matching Ferrari's!". 

Stupid idea, yea? Yet that is essentially what our own government is proposing. Increase military spending by 5.6%, but lets cut taxes, mostly for the rich and that is just ONE example.. 

When people like trump scream, "The democrats want to raise your taxes!!!", we on the left say, "Yea, no shit, so we can actually PAY for the increases for the military and infrastructure!!". 

Now do you get it, Jack? Dems want the same things the repubs want, we just want to actually PAY for it. 

epistte
Junior Guide
2.1.10  epistte  replied to  Jack_TX @2.1.8    6 years ago

They don't lower prices to stay competitive. They cut employee costs and outsource the jobs. 

Many of the corporations' aren't paying taxes to start with.

The online retail giant has built its business model on tax avoidance, and its latest financial filing makes it clear that Amazon continues to be insulated from the nation’s tax system . In 2017, Amazon reported $5.6 billion of U.S. profits and didn’t pay a dime of federal income taxes on it. The company’s financial statement suggests that various tax credits and tax breaks for executive stock options are responsible for zeroing out the company’s tax this year.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
2.1.11  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Tacos! @2.1    6 years ago
The pre-existing $20 trillion debt is pretty good justification, too. Isn't it plausible that there could be some welfare programs that we could or should cut? Politicians never want to cut back on anything. In what other aspect of life do people behave that way?

We can get rid of all the corporate welfare first. That should put back a few trillion.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
2.1.12  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  epistte @2.1.7    6 years ago
If that same money had been spent on infrastructure improvements we could have created thousands of direct and indirect jobs.  The improvements would have benefited all of the county, even those who don't work in construction.

This is one of the ideas that Obama had come up with to create jobs but, of course the Republicans didn't want to do it. I wonder why.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.1.13  Jack_TX  replied to  MrFrost @2.1.9    6 years ago
The problem is that a business almost never lowers it's prices. A "sale" just means that the price of something else is increased to cover the, "sale". If you think for second that "big business" is on the side of the consumer you are lying to yourself. 

Let's don't start off by guessing incorrectly what each other thinks.

Lets put it another way... Now I don't know you, so I mean no offense here..

Lets say you and your spouse each make 75k a year...150k total after taxes. You own your home and your cars are both paid off...

Your spouse loses their job, cutting your income in half. The next day, your spouse says, "hey, since I lose my job, I am going to go down and buy us matching Ferrari's!". 

Stupid idea, yea? Yet that is essentially what our own government is proposing. Increase military spending by 5.6%, but lets cut taxes, mostly for the rich and that is just ONE example.

You're looking at it from a household finance perspective.  Try looking at it from an employer perspective.  You own a company and you have some really kick ass salespeople.  You've been losing them at an alarming rate for several years because your competitors pay double the commission rate you do.  You can either sit there and do nothing, or you can bite the bullet, raise your pay scale, and try to keep the ones you have left.  That's what the corporate tax cut tries to do.

When people like trump scream, "The democrats want to raise your taxes!!!", we on the left say, "Yea, no shit, so we can actually PAY for the increases for the military and infrastructure!!". 

I personally don't think we need an increase in defense spending.  You'll notice that Kudlow says in the article, "we have to get spending under control".

Now do you get it, Jack?

I get it well enough not to see it from multiple angles.  How about you?

Dems want the same things the repubs want, we just want to actually PAY for it. 

Meh.  You say that, but there are a whole lot of your fellow party members who are emotional enough not to give a single shit whether stuff gets paid for or not, as long as they get their way.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.1.14  Jack_TX  replied to  epistte @2.1.10    6 years ago
They don't lower prices to stay competitive.

That's just ridiculous.  Of course they do.

They cut employee costs and outsource the jobs. 

They do that because they can't compete with low prices on imported goods otherwise.

Many of the corporations' aren't paying taxes to start with.

Then it doesn't matter if we lowered their tax rate.   

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.1.15  Jack_TX  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @2.1.11    6 years ago
We can get rid of all the corporate welfare first. That should put back a few trillion.

Dude.  I'm a numbers guy.  "A few trillion"?  C'mon.  You're killin' me.   Math is your friend.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.1.16  Jack_TX  replied to  epistte @2.1.7    6 years ago
If that same money had been spent on infrastructure improvements we could have created thousands of direct and indirect jobs.

Hundreds of thousands.  But it hardly matters.  There isn't anybody to do the jobs we have now.

The improvements would have benefited all of the county, even those who don't work in construction.

Yes.  I would love to see us get this ready, and then wait for a downturn in the economy to implement.  We don't need it right now, but eventually we will.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
2.1.17  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Jack_TX @2.1.15    6 years ago
Dude.  I'm a numbers guy.  "A few trillion"?  C'mon.  You're killin' me.   Math is your friend.

Ok, ok, so, it wasn't and, isn't trillion, it's billions, 63 billion in 2014 so, what is it now I wonder?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.1.18  Tacos!  replied to  JBB @2.1.1    6 years ago

I don't work or speak for the GOP. I'm not trying to trash one party or the other. Your comment doesn't relate to what I said. Please reread and answer accordingly.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.1.19  Tacos!  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @2.1.11    6 years ago
We can get rid of all the corporate welfare first.

I wouldn't suggest, knee-jerk style, that we get rid of all of anything. I just saying it's reasonable that we could cut back on something. Do you not agree with that?

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
2.1.20  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Tacos! @2.1.19    6 years ago
I wouldn't suggest, knee-jerk style, that we get rid of all of anything. I just saying it's reasonable that we could cut back on something. Do you not agree with that?

Sure, we can cut back on the tax cuts that were started back when Bush II was in office and, cut the 63 billion in corporate welfare.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.1.21  Jack_TX  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @2.1.17    6 years ago
Ok, ok, so, it wasn't and, isn't trillion, it's billions, 63 billion in 2014 so, what is it now I wonder?

Undoubtedly more.  But it's not always as simple as that.

Mr. Brunori is complaining about economic development programs, which he characterizes as corporate welfare.  No doubt some of them are.  But some of them cause good things to happen that wouldn't otherwise happen.  These tax breaks encourage stuff like building more low income housing, or opening bank branches in poor neighborhoods, or various other stuff that nobody would do otherwise because it's a bad investment.  

So yeah...there is definitely "corporate welfare".  But sometimes what looks like corporate welfare is an intentional attempt to sweeten a deal so we can get services to people who otherwise wouldn't have a chance.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.1.22  Tacos!  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @2.1.20    6 years ago
cut the 63 billion in corporate welfare.

That's fine! Let's cut some corporate welfare. Can we get the other kind, too?

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
2.1.23  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Tacos! @2.1.22    6 years ago
That's fine! Let's cut some corporate welfare. Can we get the other kind, too?

Sure, why not, we can take away school lunch's, let them kids go hungry at lunch time, they don't need to eat, if they get too hungry they can chew on the pencils they have to pay for. Let's cut back on Medicaid as well, hell, those kids don't need to see a doctor or, get flu shots, if they get sick they can miss school, that will save them from getting hungry at school from not having any lunch. Right? Right?

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
2.1.24  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Jack_TX @2.1.21    6 years ago

What I am talking about is the idea that some millionaire CEO gets a golden bonus because of a corporate welfare break and, that way he can get his kid the two most expensive gifts he can, including someone to chew their food for them so they don't have to chew, the poor babies, I mean who wouldn't like to have their own food chewer.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1.26  Trout Giggles  replied to  Jack_TX @2.1.13    6 years ago
You've been losing them at an alarming rate for several years because your competitors pay double the commission rate you do.  You can either sit there and do nothing, or you can bite the bullet, raise your pay scale, and try to keep the ones you have left.  That's what the corporate tax cut tries to do.

But that's not what corporations are doing. They're taking their tax cuts and re-investing them back into the company but not employee bonuses/raises.

JBB
Professor Principal
2.1.27  seeder  JBB  replied to    6 years ago
I would venture to say you could be exaggerating. 

Then you would be wrong, again. If you are uninformed on a topic best to investigate before commenting.

https://www.apnews.com/ca6ee069de98486082348ee08d771502/Analysis:-Tax-cuts,-spending-to-raise-deficit-to-$1T-by-2019

lib50
Professor Silent
2.1.28  lib50  replied to    6 years ago
facts and figures as to how it is actually blowing up the deficits.

The federal government racked up a $76.9 billion deficit in July, with increased government spending and tax cuts keeping the country on track to record its biggest annual deficit in six years.

The Treasury Department reported Friday that in the first 10 months of this budget year:

• The deficit totaled $684 billion, up 20.8 percent from the same period last year.
  • Revenues are up only 1 percent this year, the increase held back by a big drop in corporate tax payments
  • Spending is up 4.4 percent, reflecting a big boost Congress approved earlier this year for domestic and military programs and the rising costs of financing the debt.

The Trump administration last month sharply revised upward its deficit estimates, projecting annual deficits will once again top $1 trillion in the 2019 budget year, climbing to $1.1 trillion, and remaining above $1 trillion for three years.

For the current budget year, which ends Sept. 30, the administration is now projecting a deficit of $890 billion. That would be up 33.7 percent from last year's deficit of $665.8 billion.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.1.29  Jack_TX  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @2.1.24    6 years ago
What I am talking about is the idea that some millionaire CEO gets a golden bonus because of a corporate welfare break and, that way he can get his kid the two most expensive gifts he can, including someone to chew their food for them so they don't have to chew, the poor babies, I mean who wouldn't like to have their own food chewer.

Me.  I kinda find pre-masticated food unappealing.

But do you have a more serious example of the "corporate welfare" you're describing?

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.1.30  Jack_TX  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.1.26    6 years ago

Corporations we're leaving.  In large numbers.  They're not anymore.

Capital investment is actually up, despite what you may have been told.

Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו
Junior Participates
2.1.31  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Jack_TX @2.1.30    6 years ago
Capital investment is actually up, despite what you may have been told.

You certainly aren't getting your information from Forbes, then.  Is it now a "liberal" media outlet?

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.1.32  Jack_TX  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @2.1.31    6 years ago

Bloomberg.

Junior Participates
2.1.33  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Jack_TX @2.1.32    6 years ago

Thanks for actually providing a link that destroys what you claimed two comments above.  How does "spending good but not great" become something to crow about--especially when Scumbag predicted his tax cuts would produce an economic miracle?  So far, it's really just been the continuation of the Obama Miracle only back to being without any health care for millions of people. 

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.1.34  Jack_TX  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @2.1.33    6 years ago
Thanks for actually providing a link that destroys what you claimed two comments above.

Or....in the real world....supports exactly what I said.  Capital spending is up.

How does "spending good but not great" become something to crow about

Please cite me crowing.

Or do you just intend to do that thing you normally hope nobody notices where you pretend people have said something they haven't because you can't figure out an angry leftist argument for their actual statements?

--especially when Scumbag predicted his tax cuts would produce an economic miracle?

The president's habit of embellishment is well documented.  Certainly you've learned that by now.

So far, it's really just been the continuation of the Obama Miracle only back to being without any health care for millions of people. 

It's a combination of gridlock and easy money.  Businesses have become increasingly confident over the last 8 years that deleterious government action is less and less likely, combined with an extended period of extremely low interest rates.  So they are putting a little money back into their businesses.

Fireryone
Freshman Silent
2.1.35  Fireryone  replied to  Jack_TX @2.1.4    6 years ago
But I do not accept the traditional bleeding heart liberal premise that "just because somebody is poor that means I should have to buy them stuff".

I have never heard that premise.  Ever. 

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.1.36  Jack_TX  replied to  Fireryone @2.1.35    6 years ago
I have never heard that premise.  Ever. 

You have, just not described that way.  

How about "food stamps don't provide enough to feed a family"?

How about "healthcare is a basic human right"?

Include on that list the idea that it is somehow immoral to let rich people keep more of their own money.

Fireryone
Freshman Silent
2.1.37  Fireryone  replied to  Jack_TX @2.1.36    6 years ago
How about "food stamps don't provide enough to feed a family"?

How about the reality that the amount of food stamps a family receives has not kept pace with the cost of food since welfare reform?   

How about "healthcare is a basic human right"?

It is a basic human right.  That doesn't mean that you're buying them stuff. 

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.1.38  Jack_TX  replied to  Fireryone @2.1.37    6 years ago
It is a basic human right.

No.  It isn't.  Healthcare, by definition, requires the services of another person.  No person has the right to compel others to serve them.

That doesn't mean that you're buying them stuff. 

Of course it does.  You're not attempting to suggest that the poor are paying for their own healthcare, are you?

Who do you think pays for Medicaid?  Who do you think would pay for Bernicare?  It's those of us still paying income tax.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.39  JohnRussell  replied to  Jack_TX @2.1.38    6 years ago

Another wad of libertarian bs.  Libertarianism is a fantasy, a utopia that will NEVER happen in the U.S. 

Jack, do you believe in social darwinism, in other words survival of the fittest, in other words dog eat dog? 

Do you have a good job or a good business you run? Then be happy and thankful that you live in a society that has made those accomplishments possible for you. The reason that you have a "welfare state" is so that you dont have a revolution. "Paying" a little bit to the poor should make you happy. The poor are a constant by product of capitalism. Unless you believe in "dog eat dog" you will accept that the poor must be provided for, certainly including medical attention. If you do believe in dog eat dog as a philosophy than you have no right to bitch if someone robs or even kills you. 

We have a society of 325 million people. There isnt going to be any "libertarianism". 

epistte
Junior Guide
2.1.40  epistte  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.39    6 years ago
Another wad of libertarian bs.  Libertarianism is a fantasy, a utopia that will NEVER happen in the U.S. 

Jack, do you believe in social darwinism, in other words survival of the fittest, in other words dog eat dog? 

Do you have a good job or a good business you run? Then be happy and thankful that you live in a society that has made those accomplishments possible for you. The reason that you have a "welfare state" is so that you dont have a revolution. "Paying" a little bit to the poor should make you happy. The poor are a constant by product of capitalism. Unless you believe in "dog eat dog" you will accept that the poor must be provided for, certainly including medical attention. If you do believe in dog eat dog as a philosophy than you have no right to bitch if someone robs or even kills you. 

We have a society of 325 million people. There isnt going to be any "libertarianism". 

Libertarianism is a political version of they can't see the forest for the tree syndrome and the rejection of macroeconomics. Libertarians want the benefits of living in a 21st-century sociaty but they don't want to pay for any of the costs. Any time that a state has embraced libertarian economic ideas the quality of life has suffered and the budget is overrun with debt because of their selfish and shorted-sighted ideas. 

I used to think that civil libertarianism was possible but there are far too many people who cannot accept the fact that they live in an interconnected society and respect the equal rights of others. Put it more bluntly; some people are just self-centered jerks who refuse to peacefully work and play with others.  Unsurprisingly, many of them in the US claim to be Christians.

epistte
Junior Guide
2.1.41  epistte  replied to  Jack_TX @2.1.38    6 years ago
No.  It isn't.  Healthcare, by definition, requires the services of another person.  No person has the right to compel others to serve them.

Do you think that people who enforce our secular constitutional rights work pro-bono?  Cops, DAs and judges are paid well for their work. Nobody every said that Drs and others would be forced to work for free, except libertarian dipsticks such as that idiot Rand Paul.

Who do you think pays for Medicaid?  Who do you think would pay for Bernicare?  It's those of us still paying income tax.

Who said it would be otherwise?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.42  JohnRussell  replied to  Jack_TX @2.1.38    6 years ago

Jack, get a grip. Health care providers get paid. Nor are they compelled to work in that job. They are free to do something else. 

Fireryone
Freshman Silent
2.1.43  Fireryone  replied to  Jack_TX @2.1.38    6 years ago

Wow, are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure we have laws regarding discrimination.  If a person goes into health care, they generally go into that field expecting to have to serve others, they will still be paid for their work. 

Of course it does.  You're not attempting to suggest that the poor are paying for their own healthcare, are you?

That depends on which poor you're talking about doesn't it?  Many poor aren't on Medicaid...you know that right? 

Bernie care? I am not a bernie supporter.  I know who pays for medicaid...it's all of us.  I'm paying for others too Jack, even though I was on medicaid for a short period of time.  I know people like to pretend that a welfare recipient is always a taker but that is blatantly false. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.1.44  TᵢG  replied to  Jack_TX @2.1.38    6 years ago
No.  It isn't.

What then are the defining characteristics for a human right and who is authorized to do the defining?

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.1.45  Jack_TX  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.39    6 years ago

You're just determined to keep guessing at what I think, no matter how many times you get it horribly wrong....aren't you?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.46  JohnRussell  replied to  Jack_TX @2.1.45    6 years ago

Actually, I don;'t care what you are. I'm just responding to your comments. 

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.1.47  Jack_TX  replied to  Fireryone @2.1.43    6 years ago
Wow, are you sure about that?

Yes.

I'm pretty sure we have laws regarding discrimination.

Yes.

If a person goes into health care, they generally go into that field expecting to have to serve others, they will still be paid for their work. 

They cannot be required to go into health care.  They cannot be required to come out of retirement, or even in from the golf course.

That depends on which poor you're talking about doesn't it?  Many poor aren't on Medicaid...you know that right? 

Certainly.  The reliance on that program is the greatest failure of the Affordable Care Act.  Nevertheless, 60+ million people are on the program in any given year.  

Bernie care? I am not a bernie supporter.

I did not say or imply you were.

I know who pays for medicaid...it's all of us.

It is not.

I'm paying for others too Jack, even though I was on medicaid for a short period of time.

Medicaid is funded through federal income tax, and then secondarily through state funds.  Nearly half of Americans pay no federal income tax.  So while you may be paying, the math says many people are not.

I know people like to pretend that a welfare recipient is always a taker but that is blatantly false. 

I don't pretend.  The math says what it says.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.1.48  Jack_TX  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.46    6 years ago
Actually, I don;'t care what you are. I'm just responding to your comments. 

But you're not.  That's the point.  You're responding to what you think my comments must imply, like how I "support Trump" or I am a "libertarian".  Neither of those is true, BTW.  

Now, did you want to ask for clarification, or do you just want to keep guessing?

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.1.49  Jack_TX  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.42    6 years ago
Jack, get a grip. Health care providers get paid. Nor are they compelled to work in that job. They are free to do something else. 

Correct.  And they cannot be compelled.  Therefore healthcare is not a "right".

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.50  JohnRussell  replied to  Jack_TX @2.1.49    6 years ago

When you're in a hole, stop digging. 

epistte
Junior Guide
2.1.51  epistte  replied to  Jack_TX @2.1.49    6 years ago

You are stuck on the claim that anything that is a right is somehow free, despite the facts.  Nobody has ever said or suggested that people would be forced to work for free because that is illegal. You have created this strawman because of your own inability to learn. 

One of the central discussions of single-payer is how to pay for it which means that nobody who supports it ever thought that people would be forced to work for free. The many countries that also have single payer do not force healthcare providers to work for free, so where did you get this claim that providers would be forced to work for free in the US? 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.1.52  TᵢG  replied to  Jack_TX @2.1.49    6 years ago

What then are the defining characteristics for a human right and who is authorized to do the defining?

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.1.53  Jack_TX  replied to  epistte @2.1.51    6 years ago
You are stuck on the claim that anything that is a right is somehow free, despite the facts.

No.  Please pay attention.

Nobody has ever said or suggested that people would be forced to work for free because that is illegal. You have created this strawman

Oh, the irony.

because of your own inability to learn. 

Are you in fact capable of expressing your opinions without personal attacks? Why do you find alternative views so threatening?

One of the central discussions of single-payer is how to pay for it which means that nobody who supports it ever thought that people would be forced to work for free.
Correct.  I never said they did.  What were you saying about strawmen?
The many countries that also have single payer do not force healthcare providers to work for free, so where did you get this claim that providers would be forced to work for free in the US?

Please cite me making such a claim.  

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.1.54  Jack_TX  replied to  TᵢG @2.1.52    6 years ago

There are several defining characteristics, and that is an excellent and extensive conversation.  For the sake of brevity and not straying too far off topic, let me concentrate on the key difference as I see it.

We have rights to expression, and to things like life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.  We have rights to property and to the religion of our choice.   All of those are things we do for ourselves.

Healthcare is something somebody else must do for you, and that person has the right to refuse.  We do not have the inherent right to override the inherent right of another person.

It's just like the idea that I have the right to shelter, but I do not have the right to make you build it for me.  

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.1.55  TᵢG  replied to  Jack_TX @2.1.54    6 years ago
All of those are things we do for ourselves.

I am not so sure that (doing for ourselves) is a defining characteristic of a right - at least not one that is practical.   Seems to me we are all interdependent.   We do very little in isolation of other people:

• Life:  None of us would survive if people did not care for us once we are born.   We need help to live.  
  • Liberty:   Liberty is a function of society.   People provide the liberty we enjoy.   Our ancestors fought and died for the liberty we have (and many examples of people in other nations and times who, in contrast, lack this liberty).
  • Pursuit of Happiness:   We can all point to areas where the pursuit to happiness is unattainable due to circumstances of the society.   Take, for example, the hungry children of the Congo.   

I would say that nobody (in general) should be denied life, liberty or the pursuit of happiness.   But they should also not be denied food, shelter, clothing, education, healthcare or the means to contribute to society (e.g. a job).

It's just like the idea that I have the right to shelter, but I do not have the right to make you build it for me.

I agree with this in principle.    Able people in society should not simply receive from society.   That is, no able person has the right to be a parasite - to not contribute.    But now look at this in terms of modern civil society.   Would you truly be against a system of education which properly prepares the next generation to grab the reigns of this nation?   I presume you agree that all should have at least a quality K-12 education for all.   Why would a quality education, for example, not be a right of civil society?   Similarly why would access to quality healthcare, as another example, not be a right of civil society?  

The method and limits of education, healthcare, etc. is a complex and valid factor.   Civil society necessarily must impose limits on what is available to all.    So take that as a given.   But should civil society in principle deny any of its able members rights such as a quality education or quality healthcare?

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.1.56  Bob Nelson  replied to  TᵢG @2.1.55    6 years ago

Also for Jack.

Interesting exchange.

May I suggest a couple of additional points?

The interaction of "rights" is important to understanding them. Each is limited by others.

"Property" is an interesting right. It is not among out constitutional rights... except to say that  property may not be seized without due process. It is very much a "right" that exists only in diminishing others' rights. If you own something, then I may not own that thing. Land is the best example.

The French Revolution, when it was "taken over" by the bourgeoisie, changed the classic "Liberté, égalité, fraternité" to Liberté, égalité, propriété." Property is a right, primarily in the minds of those who hold some...

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.1.57  Jack_TX  replied to  Bob Nelson @2.1.56    6 years ago
"Property" is an interesting right. It is not among out constitutional rights... except to say that  property may not be seized without due process. It is very much a "right" that exists only in diminishing others' rights. If you own something, then I may not own that thing. Land is the best example.

Interesting interpretation.  It sort of pre-supposes that the property in question is irreplacable.  For example, if I own Manhattan Island, that would indeed diminish another person's right to own it, because there is only one.  However my owniing something common like a Banana Republic t-shirt does not impede your owning one also.

The French Revolution, when it was "taken over" by the bourgeoisie, changed the classic "Liberté, égalité, fraternité" to Liberté, égalité, propriété." Property is a right, primarily in the minds of those who hold some...

Property was definitely a right in the minds of the authors of the Constitution.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.1.58  Jack_TX  replied to  TᵢG @2.1.55    6 years ago
I agree with this in principle.    Able people in society should not simply receive from society.   That is, no able person has the right to be a parasite - to not contribute. 

I don't believe there are different rights for different people.  People have rights.  Ability has no bearing.

But now look at this in terms of modern civil society.   Would you truly be against a system of education which properly prepares the next generation to grab the reigns of this nation?   I presume you agree that all should have at least a quality K-12 education for all.   Why would a quality education, for example, not be a right of civil society?   Similarly why would access to quality healthcare, as another example, not be a right of civil society?  

You are conflating (it would appear intentionally) two separate ideas.  There is a difference between a "right" and what we as a society decide to provide.  

The method and limits of education, healthcare, etc. is a complex and valid factor.   Civil society necessarily must impose limits on what is available to all.    So take that as a given.   But should civil society in principle deny any of its able members rights such as a quality education or quality healthcare?

Simply because a society decides to provide certain services, they do not somehow magically become "rights".  

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.1.59  Bob Nelson  replied to  Jack_TX @2.1.57    6 years ago
However my owning something common like a Banana Republic t-shirt does not impede your owning one also.

This is where it gets interesting. I agree that owning "a Banana Republic t-shirt does not impede your owning one also"... but owning the "Banana Republic t-shirt company " definitely does.

Its the difference between public and private property. Don't ask for a dollar demarcation...

Property was definitely a right in the minds of the authors of the Constitution.

They were all property-holders, so they probably saw property as a right... but the fact remains that they carefully did NOT write it into the Constitution.

I wouldn't bet that Tom Paine agreed saw property in exactly the same light...  jrSmiley_82_smiley_image.gif

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.1.60  Bob Nelson  replied to  Bob Nelson @2.1.59    6 years ago
There is a difference between a "right" and what we as a society decide to provide.

What is that difference?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.1.61  TᵢG  replied to  Jack_TX @2.1.58    6 years ago
I don't believe there are different rights for different people.  People have rights.  Ability has no bearing.

I do not see what I wrote as a different right but rather an upfront qualification to distinguish a right from parasitic behavior.   In discussions such as these it is important to make it clear that nobody has the right to be a societal parasite.   That said, I am suggesting that everyone has a right to life (since I was speaking to your example).   Thus a handicapped person who cannot realistically survive on her own has the right to continue to live and society would be providing that right.

Ability does indeed have a bearing, being practical about this.

There is a difference between a "right" and what we as a society decide to provide.  

Well okay, this is why I asked you upfront to give the defining characteristics of a right and who decides those characteristics.   We need to define terms.  You somewhat punted on that and now you come back with the above.   So you see a difference (and this okay).   Now you should explain the difference as you see it:

• What are the defining characteristics of a right?
  • Who is authorized to define the characteristics?
  • Who provides the right?
Simply because a society decides to provide certain services, they do not somehow magically become "rights". 

Correct.  That is not what I argued - at all - not even close.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.1.62  Bob Nelson  replied to  TᵢG @2.1.61    6 years ago

I agree... but...

What we all agree are "rights" began as services rendered by the society. Then there's a zone where some people say "rights" and others say "services". And finally there are items that everyone agrees are services.

This labeling isn't fixed. It changes over time, and it seems to me that gradually some services do indeed become rights...

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.1.63  TᵢG  replied to  Bob Nelson @2.1.62    6 years ago

But, as Jack noted, ...

The word 'simply' is operative.

... gradually some services do indeed become rights...

I agree, but this is why it is critical that people have agreement on the meaning of 'right'.     I need to know the defining characteristics of a right, who does the defining and even who provides the right to be able to discuss rights with someone else.   At least to do so in a meaningful fashion.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.1.64  Bob Nelson  replied to  TᵢG @2.1.63    6 years ago

Yes.

It's important to observe that a "bill of rights" isn't the same thing in different centuries.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.1.65  Jack_TX  replied to  TᵢG @2.1.61    6 years ago
I do not see what I wrote as a different right but rather an upfront qualification to distinguish a right from parasitic behavior. 

Rights are not be different for able bodied people than they are for others.  Just as they cannot be different for tall people, thin people, or white or black people.

That said, I am suggesting that everyone has a right to life (since I was speaking to your example).   Thus a handicapped person who cannot realistically survive on her own has the right to continue to live and society would be providing that right.

No, society would be providing services.  There is a difference.

Well okay, this is why I asked you upfront to give the defining characteristics of a right and who decides those characteristics.   We need to define terms.  You somewhat punted on that and now you come back with the above.

I don't feel the need to follow down this nearly infinite rabbit hole.  Rights are not provided.  Rights are inalienable.  Services are provided.

You haven't argued that yet, but I suspect you are heading in that direction.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.1.66  Jack_TX  replied to  Bob Nelson @2.1.59    6 years ago
This is where it gets interesting. I agree that owning "a Banana Republic t-shirt does not impede your owning one also"... but owning the "Banana Republic t-shirt company" definitely does.

Nothing stops you from starting your own t-shirt company.  Nothing stops you from developing your own intellectual/branding property.

They were all property-holders, so they probably saw property as a right... but the fact remains that they carefully did NOT write it into the Constitution.

You have already cited where they did.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.1.67  TᵢG  replied to  Jack_TX @2.1.65    6 years ago
Rights are not be different for able bodied people than they are for others.  Just as they cannot be different for tall people, thin people, or white or black people.

Come on Jack this is twice now that you have focused on an upfront qualification as if it were my point (while largely ignoring my actual points) and misread it at that.  Read what I wrote:

TiG @ 2.1.61  -  I do not see what I wrote as a  different  right but rather an upfront qualification to distinguish a right from parasitic behavior.   In discussions such as these it is important to make it clear that nobody has the right to be a societal parasite .   That said, I am suggesting that everyone has a right to life (since I was speaking to your example).   Thus a handicapped person who cannot realistically survive on her own has the right to continue to live and society would be providing that right. Ability does indeed have a bearing, being practical about this.

I am not defining rights but rather making an upfront qualification that nobody has the right to be a societal parasite .    Everyone has the right to life and what that means depends upon the condition of the person.   The right to life remains the same, the practical societal approach will differ.    

No, society would be providing services.  There is a difference.

Vaguely declaring 'services' and moving on accomplishes nothing of value.   Make an argument, provide a definition, answer a direct question.

I don't feel the need to follow down this nearly infinite rabbit hole.  Rights are not provided.  Rights are inalienable.  Services are provided.

A tacit admission that you really do not think you have a good point to make.   At this point I would concur.

You haven't argued that yet, but I suspect you are heading in that direction.

jrSmiley_80_smiley_image.gif    Good grief man.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.1.68  Bob Nelson  replied to  Jack_TX @2.1.66    6 years ago

Nothing stops anyone from being born a Walton!

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.1.69  Jack_TX  replied to  Bob Nelson @2.1.62    6 years ago
What we all agree are "rights" began as services rendered by the society.

No. 

Your life is not a service rendered by society.  Neither is your liberty.  

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.1.70  Jack_TX  replied to  TᵢG @2.1.67    6 years ago
Come on Jack this is twice now that you have focused on an upfront qualification

Because the upfront qualification is material and erroneous. 

Vaguely declaring 'services' and moving on accomplishes nothing of value.   Make an argument, provide a definition, answer a direct question.

I have done so.  It just wasn't the one you wanted.  

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.1.71  Jack_TX  replied to  Bob Nelson @2.1.68    6 years ago
Nothing stops anyone from being born a Walton!

Your idiotic assertions aside, nothing stops you from competing with them, except your own intellect, courage and ambition. 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.1.72  Bob Nelson  replied to  Jack_TX @2.1.69    6 years ago
Your life is not a service rendered by society.  Neither is your liberty.  

Oh? Why do we have cops?

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.1.73  Bob Nelson  replied to  Jack_TX @2.1.71    6 years ago

If you truly believe that John Q. Doe has the same rights and opportunities as a Walton heir... then we have nothing to say to each other.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.74  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @2.1.73    6 years ago

Anyone can do what Sam Walton did.

It will take guts, hard work, sacrifice, luck, dedication, intelligence, and maybe even a little help.

All things money can't buy.

That sounds like true equal opportunity to me.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.1.75  Jack_TX  replied to  Bob Nelson @2.1.72    6 years ago
Oh? Why do we have cops?

To incarcerate those who seek to take away the rights we already have.  

They provide a service.  They do not bestow rights.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.1.76  Jack_TX  replied to  Bob Nelson @2.1.73    6 years ago
If you truly believe that John Q. Doe has the same rights and opportunities as a Walton heir... then we have nothing to say to each other.

What right does Alice Walton have that you don't?

And are we going to change the subject to opportunities? 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.1.77  Bob Nelson  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.74    6 years ago

So... Why are there so few Sam Waltons?

I have problems with Sam, but my previous remarks were about his heirs, who have accomplished nothing whatsoever... and are still among the wealthiest Americans.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.1.78  Bob Nelson  replied to  Jack_TX @2.1.75    6 years ago

Without cops, what would "right to life and liberty" mean?

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.1.79  Bob Nelson  replied to  Jack_TX @2.1.76    6 years ago
What right does Alice Walton have that you don't?

Billions of dollars. Unearned.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.80  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @2.1.77    6 years ago

Now you just sound jealous that the Waltons are richer than you are.

Why aren't there more people like Sam Walton?

Because few people are willing to take the risks? Or put in the effort? Because few people make better decisions than he did? Lack of imagination? Lack of talent?

It doesn't matter why, really.

The OPPURTUNITY is there if people CHOOSE to take advantage of it.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.81  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @2.1.79    6 years ago

Money isn't a right, nor does it give anyone rights in America.

And because her father was highly successful, he CHOSE to bequeath his children money. What is wrong with that?

My dad, while certainly not rich, left me and my sister whatever he had.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.1.82  Jack_TX  replied to  Bob Nelson @2.1.79    6 years ago
Billions of dollars. Unearned.

She has the right to her family's inheritance, just like you have the right to yours.  She has the right to her property, just like you have the right to yours.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.1.83  Jack_TX  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.80    6 years ago

You think?

Why aren't there more people like Sam Walton?

Because few people are willing to take the risks? Or put in the effort? Because few people make better decisions than he did? Lack of imagination? Lack of talent?

It doesn't matter why, really.

The OPPURTUNITY is there if people CHOOSE to take advantage of it.

Well said.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.84  Texan1211  replied to  Jack_TX @2.1.82    6 years ago

Yeah, but she GOT MORE!

W-a-h. It just isn't FAIR that someone has more!!!!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.85  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @2.1.79    6 years ago

It. Really. Isn't. Any. Of. Your. Business. What. Others. Have. 

They. Didn't. Take. It. From. You.

Fireryone
Freshman Silent
2.1.86  Fireryone  replied to  Jack_TX @2.1.47    6 years ago
I don't pretend.  The math says what it says.

So much to address, but let's start here.  What math? 

Fireryone
Freshman Silent
2.1.87  Fireryone  replied to  Jack_TX @2.1.47    6 years ago
They cannot be required to go into health care.  They cannot be required to come out of retirement, or even in from the golf course.

Who said that this is necessary or even reasonable?  This comment has nothing to do with healthcare being a human right. 

Fireryone
Freshman Silent
2.1.88  Fireryone  replied to  Jack_TX @2.1.54    6 years ago
Healthcare is something somebody else must do for you, and that person has the right to refuse.  We do not have the inherent right to override the inherent right of another person.

What about the right to legal representation?  That's a right that not everyone is capable of providing for themselves.  

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.1.89  Jack_TX  replied to  Fireryone @2.1.86    6 years ago
So much to address, but let's start here.  What math? 

The math that says almost half of Americans are not paying into Medicaid.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.1.90  Jack_TX  replied to  Fireryone @2.1.87    6 years ago
Who said that this is necessary or even reasonable?  This comment has nothing to do with healthcare being a human right.

Healthcare is not a human right because it requires another person to do it for you.  What if nobody wants to?  What if nobody is available?  What if you need me to provide healthcare for you but I have a tee time?  Or I'm exhausted?  Or I'm on vacation? Or I charge more than you can pay?  Or my office is closed?

Rights are inalienable.  They do not only exist from 8am-5pm with Wednesday afternoons off.  They don't exist only when you can pay for them.

And that's where this nonsense is headed.  It's pretty transparent.  If "healthcare is a right", then I'm still entitled to it even if I can't pay for it, which means somebody else is going to need to pay for it because it's my right and you can't deny me my rights.  

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.1.91  Jack_TX  replied to  Fireryone @2.1.88    6 years ago
What about the right to legal representation?  That's a right that not everyone is capable of providing for themselves.

You don't have a right to legal representation.  You have the right not to be incarcerated without it.  The legal representation is a service provided so that the state doesn't have to let you get away with whatever crime you've committed.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.1.92  TᵢG  replied to  Jack_TX @2.1.91    6 years ago
You don't have a right to legal representation.
Healthcare is not a human right because it requires another person to do it for you. 

Who defines the criteria for a right?  

Seems you are arguing that constitutional rights are not necessarily 'rights'.   

Where can one go to get the list of rights as you define the term?

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.1.93  Jack_TX  replied to  TᵢG @2.1.92    6 years ago
Seems you are arguing that constitutional rights are not necessarily 'rights'.   

Not at all.  Read it again.

You have the right not to be incarcerated without it

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.1.94  TᵢG  replied to  Jack_TX @2.1.93    6 years ago
Not at all.  Read it again.

Fireryone was right; I was just curious to see how you would respond to her.   Lately your ' arguments ' have largely been equivocation and deflection.   Hard to take serious (so I do not).   In support of fireryone's observation :

A criminal defendant's right to an attorney is found in the  Sixth Amendment  to the U.S. Constitution, which requires the "assistance of counsel" for the accused "in all criminal prosecutions." This means that a defendant has a constitutional right to be represented by an attorney during trial. It also means that if the defendant cannot afford an attorney, in almost all instances the government will appoint one to handle the case, at no cost to the defendant (this began in 1963  when the Supreme Court ruled  in favor of an indigent defendant facing the possibility of incarceration). 

So, do we have a constitutional right to an attorney in criminal prosecutions?   Here is the 6th amendment for reference:

In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defence .

My guess is that you will now move to another ' this is not a right ' declaration since it was provided by society (vs. intrinsic to creation).   The reason I have a problem with your approach is your refusal to articulate the defining characteristics of a right.  By refusing to be specific about your use of language, you can freely declare what is a right at your choosing.   This is not an impressive tactic and I trust I am not the only one who sees through it.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.1.95  Jack_TX  replied to  TᵢG @2.1.94    6 years ago
Fireryone was right;

No, she wasn't, and I have explained that already.

I was just curious to see how you would respond to her.   Lately your 'arguments' have largely been equivocation and deflection. 

Or....just refusing to go off on a wild tangent on a seed about something else.

Hard to take serious (so I do not). 

You never respond well to arguments you don't want to hear.  

So, do we have a constitutional right to an attorney in criminal prosecutions?

You have the right not to be incarcerated without a fair trial.  There is a difference.  Try walking into a public defender's office and demanding legal representation simply because "it's your right".   

No, you have the right to your liberty, and the state cannot remove that right without a fair trial.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.1.96  TᵢG  replied to  Jack_TX @2.1.95    6 years ago
You have the right not to be incarcerated without a fair trial. 

Jack declares the above, the CotUS says what is below:

In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defence.

Sorry Jack, merely repeating your declaration does not change the CotUS.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.1.97  Bob Nelson  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.80    6 years ago

I'm jealous of people who have things that they have done nothing to deserve.

Studiusbagus
Sophomore Quiet
2.1.98  Studiusbagus  replied to  Jack_TX @2.1.95    6 years ago
Try walking into a public defender's office and demanding legal representation simply because "it's your right".   

One doesn't but can.

When one arrives for arraignment the court assigns a local attorney in a pool of attornies to represent the accused at the governments expense because it the accused persons right if they cannot afford an attorney.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.1.99  Bob Nelson  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.81    6 years ago
Money isn't a right, nor does it give anyone rights in America.

Money is power and power gives rights. Citizens United, for example.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.1.100  Bob Nelson  replied to  Jack_TX @2.1.82    6 years ago
She has the right to her family's inheritance...

So now inheritance is a right?

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.1.101  Bob Nelson  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.85    6 years ago
It. Really. Isn't. Any. Of. Your. Business. What. Others. Have.  

Actually, it is.

They. Didn't. Take. It. From. You.

Actually, they took it from everyone... including me.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.102  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @2.1.101    6 years ago

I suggest that people stop letting those mean old greedy rich folk steal from them!

Funny, no one came and stole from me!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.103  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @2.1.99    6 years ago

Your understanding of the ruling in CU seems lacking.

Money wasn't the issue.

Please don't keep perpetuating THAT myth!

Pray tell, if what you think is true IS true, why did it take a SCOTUS decision for the "rich" to have the same rights?

They already had the money, so according to you, they ALREADY had the "right".

Something fishy about that explanation!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.104  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @2.1.97    6 years ago

I will assume that if you have kids, or a wife, then you will leave them absolutely nothing worth anything then.

To do otherwise would be monumentally hypocritical.

Sorry, but I will leave what I have earned to my loved ones.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.1.105  TᵢG  replied to  Jack_TX @2.1.95    6 years ago

Your 'explanation' was simply a (nuh-uh) denial followed by deflection.   If the CotUS declares a 'right' how, in your way of thinking, is that not a 'right'?

In addition to the 6th amendment,  consider the miranda:

“You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to an attorney. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be provided for you. Do you understand the rights I have just read to you? With these rights in mind, do you wish to speak to me?”

You have yet to offer the defining characteristics for what you call a 'right', who defines 'rights' or who provides 'rights'.   You have, however, contradicted the CotUS.

Or....just refusing to go off on a wild tangent on a seed about something else.

jrSmiley_80_smiley_image.gif    Asking you to explain what you mean by 'rights' is not going off on a tangent given you are actively engaged in a debate about what is a 'right'.   Take a stand.  Define what you mean by 'right'.   If you think you have a profound understanding then make yourself clear.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.1.106  Bob Nelson  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.102    6 years ago

What part of "took" do you not understand?

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.1.107  Bob Nelson  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.103    6 years ago
They already had the money, so according to you, they ALREADY had the "right".

No. I didn't say that. Have you no other method than misquoting?

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.1.108  Bob Nelson  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.104    6 years ago
I will assume that if you have kids, or a wife, then you will leave them absolutely nothing worth anything then.

My son already has what I could give him: education and a will of his own. He is doing very well.

That's a silly thing to say. Hypocrisy is beside the point.

Of course. That's the law.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.1.109  Jack_TX  replied to  Studiusbagus @2.1.98    6 years ago
When one arrives for arraignment the court assigns a local attorney in a pool of attornies to represent the accused at the governments expense because it the accused persons right if they cannot afford an attorney.

The point is that it happens at arraignment.  It is part of the process of the state attempting to remove a person's liberty...which is the actual inalienable right in question.  

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.1.110  Jack_TX  replied to  Bob Nelson @2.1.97    6 years ago
I'm jealous of people who have things that they have done nothing to deserve.

At least you've admitted that.  It's the first step toward fixing the problem.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.1.111  Jack_TX  replied to  Bob Nelson @2.1.101    6 years ago
Actually, it is.

I think you'll find it's not.  The Walton's net worth is known because they choose to share it.  If they did not, you would have no idea.

Biggest steaming pile of bullshit ever.

Studiusbagus
Sophomore Quiet
2.1.112  Studiusbagus  replied to  Jack_TX @2.1.109    6 years ago

Not just at arraignment.

Once an individual is Mirandized they have a right to equal access to the law through a licensed attorney.

That includes interrogation to verdict. One can decline hat right if they wish and keep all the liberty they want.

Regardless of your liberty opinion, the right to legal counsel is a right.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.113  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @2.1.106    6 years ago

If someone stole something from you, you should go to the police and report the crime.

Now, I have PURCHASED stuff at WalMart, but never had anyone steal from me there.

Maybe your experiences at Wal Mart are different?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.114  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @2.1.107    6 years ago
Money is power and power gives rights

YOUR words--I didn't make them up.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.1.115  Bob Nelson  replied to  Jack_TX @2.1.110    6 years ago
At least you've admitted that.  It's the first step toward fixing the problem.

What problem? The jealousy is justified.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.1.116  Bob Nelson  replied to  Jack_TX @2.1.110    6 years ago

Duplicate comment removed.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
2.1.117  Dean Moriarty  replied to  Bob Nelson @2.1.116    6 years ago

No there is no logical reason for your jealousy. Doesn’t matter if they won the lottery. I’m not jealous of others good fortune. 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.1.118  Bob Nelson  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.113    6 years ago

[deleted]

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.1.119  Jack_TX  replied to  Bob Nelson @2.1.115    6 years ago
What problem? The jealousy is justified.

I'm sure you think so.  

OK.  I'll bite.  Explain your justification.  While you're at it, explain how she "took" anything from you.  

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.1.120  Jack_TX  replied to  Studiusbagus @2.1.112    6 years ago
Once an individual is Mirandized they have a right to equal access to the law through a licensed attorney.

Sure.  Once they are Mirandized.  

So the state is attempting to take away their inalienable right of liberty, and it must go through certain processes to ensure that right is not removed unjustly.

There is no general standing right to counsel "just because".  You can't walk into the public defenders office and demand they represent you while you sue your neighbor for backing over your fence.  

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.1.121  TᵢG  replied to  Jack_TX @2.1.120    6 years ago
There is no general standing right to counsel "just because". 

The 6th amendment.

Sure.  Once they are Mirandized.  

No.  The 6th amendment does not depend upon the reading of Miranda rights.   It is in place without such a condition.

In the USA, the 6th amendment does indeed give the right to counsel for criminal cases.   

A criminal defendant's right to an attorney is found in the  Sixth Amendment  to the U.S. Constitution, which requires the "assistance of counsel" for the accused "in all criminal prosecutions." This means that a defendant has a constitutional right to be represented by an attorney during trial. It also means that if the defendant cannot afford an attorney, in almost all instances the government will appoint one to handle the case, at no cost to the defendant (this began in 1963 when the Supreme Court ruled in favor of an indigent defendant facing the possibility of incarceration).  Keep in mind that, while the right to counsel is discussed here in connection with a criminal trial, a suspect has the right to a lawyer at almost every important phase of the criminal process, typically from arrest through the first appeal after conviction. For instance, criminal suspects have  the right to ask for an attorney  and remain silent if they are being interrogated by police.

The 6th amendment:

In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defence .

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.1.122  Bob Nelson  replied to  Dean Moriarty @2.1.117    6 years ago

Hi, Dean!

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.1.123  Bob Nelson  replied to  Jack_TX @2.1.119    6 years ago
Explain your justification.

I already did.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.1.124  Bob Nelson  replied to  Jack_TX @2.1.119    6 years ago
While you're at it, explain how she "took" anything from you. 

That's not what I said.

Once again... either you are misquoting on purpose (intellectual dishonesty) or you have serious problems with the English language.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.125  Sparty On  replied to  Bob Nelson @2.1.124    6 years ago

Perhaps you are using some sort of "new" English but quoting you:

It does appear you feel they "took" something from you Bob.

Maybe you've been living in France too long to practice "proper" English comprehension.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.1.126  Jack_TX  replied to  Bob Nelson @2.1.124    6 years ago
That's not what I said. Once again... either you are misquoting on purpose (intellectual dishonesty) or you have serious problems with the English language.

It most certainly is. 2.1.101

Followed up by:

What part of "took" do you not understand?

So what did they take, how did they take it, and why haven't you reported it to authorities?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.127  Texan1211  replied to  Jack_TX @2.1.126    6 years ago

Isn't it rather odd that we are accused of taking things out of context when we quote the ENTIRE post?

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.1.128  Bob Nelson  replied to  Sparty On @2.1.125    6 years ago

A sentence in the English language often has more than one word. Most of the time, in fact. Each word participates in meaning of the sentence. Taking one word out of context is, as I said, either intellectual dishonesty or misunderstanding of the English language.

Since you also need the same explanation, I assume that the same two possibilities apply to you... jrSmiley_32_smiley_image.gif

Studiusbagus
Sophomore Quiet
2.1.129  Studiusbagus  replied to  Jack_TX @2.1.120    6 years ago
There is no general standing right to counsel "just because".  You can't walk into the public defenders office and demand they represent you while you sue your neighbor for backing over your fence.  

C'mon Jack. Now you're acting silly.

Public Defenders the key word is defender. They "defend" an indigent person that's been charged with a crime or anyone that's been arrested and being questioned.

Why would they defend a civil case that is taken on a contingency basis? They only handle criminal cases.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.1.130  Bob Nelson  replied to  Jack_TX @2.1.126    6 years ago

Since they didn't earn anything, the obvious response is "everything they have".

How? By birth.

Do you really not know how Sam Walton's heirs got their money?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.131  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @2.1.128    6 years ago

If people constantly are "misquoting" you and "taking your words out of context", perhaps it would behoove you to write what you actually mean.

Say what you mean and mean what you say.

When you write that people have taken stuff from everyone, and that it includes you, WTF did you MEAN if not precisely THAT?

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.1.132  Bob Nelson  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.131    6 years ago

What part of "misquoting" do you not understand?

Studiusbagus
Sophomore Quiet
2.1.133  Studiusbagus  replied to  Jack_TX @2.1.120    6 years ago
So the state is attempting to take away their inalienable right of liberty, and it must go through certain processes to ensure that right is not removed unjustly.

Yes Jack. Here on earth we call that a trial.

It's the public entity accusing you of breaking the rules which jeapodizes your right to liberty among society.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.134  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @2.1.132    6 years ago

I understand it just FINE.

What I don't understand is how you can claim that when they COPIED AND PASTED YOUR ENTIRE FREAKING POST!

Must be some sort of evil conservative trick--quoting your EXACT words back to you!

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.1.135  Bob Nelson  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.131    6 years ago
Say what you mean and mean what you say.

I've seen this phenomenon before.

Some people are not interested in what is actually said. They know what is meant - regardless of what is actually said.

I do say what I mean.

Are you sure that you are not asking me to say what you mean?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.136  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @2.1.135    6 years ago

Yeah, I am SURE.

If you didn't that they took it from everyone, including yourself, what DID you mean?

And why the hell didn't you just say THAT instead?

Are we supposed to decipher your posts or just go on what you write?

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.1.137  Bob Nelson  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.134    6 years ago
they COPIED AND PASTED YOUR ENTIRE FREAKING POST!

No, actually. They did not.

Upper case does not magically transform falsehoods into truths.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.1.138  Bob Nelson  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.136    6 years ago
If you didn't that they took it from everyone, including yourself, what DID you mean?

Is that a sentence?

Fireryone
Freshman Silent
2.1.139  Fireryone  replied to  Jack_TX @2.1.91    6 years ago
You don't have a right to legal representation. 

WTF Jack? 

WOW.  

Fireryone
Freshman Silent
2.1.140  Fireryone  replied to  Jack_TX @2.1.95    6 years ago

I was right, and you are dead wrong on this one. 

Fireryone
Freshman Silent
2.1.141  Fireryone  replied to  Jack_TX @2.1.89    6 years ago
The math that says almost half of Americans are not paying into Medicaid.

Don't like the tax code change it.  Those who don't pay federal income tax aren't required to because their income is too low.  That person will eventually pay federal income tax as their wages increase.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.1.142  Bob Nelson  replied to  Fireryone @2.1.141    6 years ago

In most advanced countries, health care is a major part of wealth redistribution. The wealthy who feel robbed of their God-given inheritances can at least feel reassured that "their" money is actually helping people...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.143  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @2.1.137    6 years ago

It is clearly written for all to see in post #2.1.101

Feel free to deny all you want but it is very clear to anyone who can read.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.144  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @2.1.138    6 years ago

Smeo peeopl nca reda all dinks fo tsuff.

YES, I left a word out.

Here you go:

If you didn't mean they took it from everyone, including yourself, what DID you mean?

That is what you wrote, so I apologize for ASSUMING that is what you meant.

Why don't you tell us what you really meant?

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.1.145  Jack_TX  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.127    6 years ago
Isn't it rather odd that we are accused of taking things out of context when we quote the ENTIRE post?

If by "odd", you mean "completely and totally expected as a desperate last gasp attempt to divert attention".... then yes.  Very odd.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.1.146  Jack_TX  replied to  Fireryone @2.1.141    6 years ago
Don't like the tax code change it.

So we're in agreement that we're not "all" paying.  Excellent.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.1.147  Jack_TX  replied to  Studiusbagus @2.1.133    6 years ago
Here on earth we call that a trial. It's the public entity accusing you of breaking the rules which jeapodizes your right to liberty among society.

Yes.  Exactly.   Thank you.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.1.148  Jack_TX  replied to  Bob Nelson @2.1.142    6 years ago
In most advanced countries, health care is a major part of wealth redistribution.

Which is REALLY all you care about.  It's like kindergarten all over again.  Other people have money and you don't so the teacher should make them share.

This is all only about getting somebody else to pay your bills.  All the rest is just rationalization.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.149  Texan1211  replied to  Jack_TX @2.1.145    6 years ago

Odd, but not unexpected.

What else they got?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.1.150  TᵢG  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.149    6 years ago

'they'?   Who is 'they'?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.151  Texan1211  replied to  TᵢG @2.1.150    6 years ago

Follow the thread and I bet you can figure it out.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.1.152  TᵢG  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.151    6 years ago

Retreat on the first question.   That must be a record.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.153  Sparty On  replied to  Bob Nelson @2.1.128    6 years ago

Okay Bob, if you say so ....... but only in France

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.1.154  Bob Nelson  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.143    6 years ago
It is clearly written for all to see in post #2.1.101

No. Your thinking so seems to indicate a comprehension problem.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.1.155  Bob Nelson  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.144    6 years ago

I said they took it from everyone, including myself.

I meant they took it from everyone, including myself.

Is thar clearer?

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.1.156  Bob Nelson  replied to  Jack_TX @2.1.148    6 years ago
Which is REALLY all you care about.

I am so-o-o-o glad you care about what I care about...

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.1.157  Bob Nelson  replied to  Sparty On @2.1.153    6 years ago

I have no idea what you are talking about, and care even less. Next time, please copy / paste the text to which you are Replying.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.158  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @2.1.155    6 years ago

So NOW you finally admit to saying exactly what people quoted you as saying.

Nice, but

What took so long?

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.1.159  Bob Nelson  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.158    6 years ago
So NOW you finally admit...

No.

You are once again demonstrating that either you do not know how to use English correctly, or you are intentionally misung it.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.160  Sparty On  replied to  Bob Nelson @2.1.157    6 years ago

Yeah Bob, you don’t care but apparently you do care, just enough to keep responding with your BS obfuscations and denials.

How sophomoric.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.1.161  Bob Nelson  replied to  Sparty On @2.1.160    6 years ago

I care about the English language... and about intellectual honesty. When I encounter someone who apparently masters neither, I offer them assistance....

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.162  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @2.1.159    6 years ago

Sorry, your words are on the page. Take them back or own them.

When people catch you in  fabrication, don't get mad at them for doing so

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.163  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @2.1.155    6 years ago

Then why in post 2.1.124 did you write that it WASN'T what you CLEARLY wrote and now admit?

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.1.164  Bob Nelson  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.163    6 years ago

I admitted nothing.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.165  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @2.1.164    6 years ago

Either:

A. You didn't write the post to start with, or

B. You wrote it and didn't mean it, or

C. You wrote it and meant it.

Take your pick.

Your words are written for all to see--and your denials, too.

Junior Participates
2.1.166  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @2.1.12    6 years ago
This is one of the ideas that Obama had come up with to create jobs but, of course the Republicans didn't want to do it.

And for some reason it came back on the republican agenda when Scumbag made it a $1T campaign promise.  Of course, even republicans know that there's no money left for that kind of undertaking so they're slow-crawling this issue, which is to say, talking about it and doing nothing so at least that hasn't changed.  

Fireryone
Freshman Silent
2.1.167  Fireryone  replied to  Jack_TX @2.1.146    6 years ago
So we're in agreement that we're not "all" paying.  Excellent.

The lower income people don't pay, but they will when their income rises. Eventually everyone pays in Jack. 

Fireryone
Freshman Silent
2.1.168  Fireryone  replied to  Jack_TX @2.1.148    6 years ago
This is all only about getting somebody else to pay your bills. 

What a bunch of crap.  

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.1.169  Bob Nelson  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.165    6 years ago

I have never denied what I wrote.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.170  Sparty On  replied to  Bob Nelson @2.1.161    6 years ago

Intellectual honesty?    And yet you insist on playing your sophomoric word games and fielding inappropriate insults whenever possible?    The last thing you are is “intellectually honest” Bob.    

Now go ahead, get your last chomskyesk insult in.     I’m done with your nonsense.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.1.171  Bob Nelson  replied to  Sparty On @2.1.170    6 years ago

You're frothing...

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.172  Sparty On  replied to  Bob Nelson @2.1.171    6 years ago

Lol, hardly.    Unless you call sipping a nice 25 yo scotch with a fine cigar frothing.    In which case you would be correct.

Have nice evening Bob.    I am ..... packing to go on Honor Flight tomorrow as guardian for a great friend.    I’ll try to check in from DC tomorrow

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.1.173  Bob Nelson  replied to  Sparty On @2.1.172    6 years ago

... and I'll watch more of the Women's World Basketball Championship, here on Tenerife, in the Canary Islands...

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.1.174  Jack_TX  replied to  Fireryone @2.1.167    6 years ago
The lower income people don't pay, but they will when their income rises.

For many people, it never does.

Eventually everyone pays in Jack. 

That's just factually incorrect.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.1.175  Jack_TX  replied to  Fireryone @2.1.168    6 years ago
What a bunch of crap.  

*eyeroll*

You're not that naive, but if it makes you feel better to think every angry juvenile leftist is really only thinking about their fellow man, you go right ahead.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.1.176  TᵢG  replied to  Jack_TX @2.1.175    6 years ago

Did you read what fireryone wrote?   There is nothing naive about it.

Bob Nelson  @ 2.1.142  - In most advanced countries, health care is a major part of  wealth redistribution .
Jack_TX   @ 2.1.148  -  This is all only about getting somebody else to pay your bills. 
Fireryone   @ 2.1.168   -  What a bunch of crap.  

A national health care system that provides basic care for all is not about getting somebody else to pay your bills.   It is a sensible practice to exploit economies of scale, standardization and shared risk.   The economies of scale part should be obvious.   Shared risk should be obvious too; it is a simple actuarial principle.   With the sometimes staggering costs of healthcare a diagnosis of cancer might be a death sentence as well as bankruptcy for the surviving family.   Since we are all vulnerable to bad things happening to our health, one would expect a civil society to at least have a system which provides decent healthcare.   This is a complex discussion that naturally, especially for the USA, leads to national standards with state implementations, multiple levels of service such as casts, vaccinations vs surgery, tiered programs (paying for higher levels of coverage), etc.    But this is one comment so I need to cut that off.

Bottom line, a national health care system is about working together to provide decent healthcare for a nation.   Dismissing it to be nothing more than getting somebody else to pay your bills qualifies IMO as a naive , cynical and dismissive view.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.1.177  Bob Nelson  replied to  TᵢG @2.1.176    6 years ago

Check your Chat, please, TiG.

Fireryone
Freshman Silent
2.1.178  Fireryone  replied to  Jack_TX @2.1.175    6 years ago
You're not that naive, but if it makes you feel better to think every angry juvenile leftist is really only thinking about their fellow man, you go right ahead.

Were do you get the presumption to make the assertion that is what I think based on my reply to your comment: "This is all only about getting somebody else to pay your bills."

That comment is a load of crap. 

Fireryone
Freshman Silent
2.1.179  Fireryone  replied to  Jack_TX @2.1.174    6 years ago
For many people, it never does.

So?  For most people it does.  But for those who aren't able to rise out of poverty, would you rather feed them or risk the increase in crime rates caused by increased poverty. Note, most of those who don't and receive government aid are disabled, a child or the elderly.

That's just factually incorrect.

Where is your evidence that it's incorrect?  

Fireryone
Freshman Silent
2.1.180  Fireryone  replied to  TᵢG @2.1.176    6 years ago
Bottom line, a national health care system is about working together to provide decent healthcare for a nation.   Dismissing it to be nothing more than getting somebody else to pay your bills qualifies IMO as a naive, cynical and dismissive view.

I wholeheartedly agree.   

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.181  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @2.1.169    6 years ago

Ok, we'll all play along and pretend you didn't write what you wrote in post  2.1.101 AND in post 2.1.124.

SMMFH and jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.1.182  Jack_TX  replied to  TᵢG @2.1.176    6 years ago
A national health care system that provides basic care for all is not about getting somebody else to pay your bills.

Really??   Because ol' Bob here says it's a key part of "wealth redistribution".  

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.1.183  Jack_TX  replied to  Fireryone @2.1.179    6 years ago
So?  For most people it does.

Your source?

Where is your evidence that it's incorrect?  

We can start with your own statement....

But for those who aren't able to rise out of poverty,

So even you acknowledge that not everyone "eventually pays".

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.1.184  TᵢG  replied to  Jack_TX @2.1.182    6 years ago
Because ol' Bob here says it's a key part of "wealth redistribution".  

Well then maybe you and ol' Bob should have a discussion.   As much as I like and respect Bob, I do not simply accept his characterizations.   I tend to reason things out and draw my own conclusions.   Now if you have a problem with my reasoning let's chat about it.   I am not qualified to speak for Bob but I can refer you to someone who is.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.1.185  Jack_TX  replied to  TᵢG @2.1.184    6 years ago
Well then maybe you and ol' Bob should have a discussion. 

That's what we were doing.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.1.186  Jack_TX  replied to  TᵢG @2.1.184    6 years ago
Now if you have a problem with my reasoning let's chat about it.

I am a proponent of more uniform health regulation.  I am a proponent of more comprehensive access to care, better access to medication, more universal insurance coverage and more streamlined administration.  There are many sensible things we can do to improve healthcare in America.

I am opposed to single payer or socialized medicine.  The math doesn't work on either of those ideas.  They are the favored go to "solutions" of people who don't understand the topic well enough to see why they obviously don't work.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.1.187  TᵢG  replied to  Jack_TX @2.1.186    6 years ago
I am opposed to single payer or socialized medicine.

'Single payer' is not a specific system;  it is a category of systems.   For example, a 'single payer' system could be devised in a federated fashion which ensures all inhabitants of the USA have access to common healthcare.   Beyond emergency support this would include setting broken limbs, dealing with severe colds/flu/infections, stitches, etc.   It could also include a certain level of preventative care.   And, all of this could be implemented with a co-pay requirement to mitigate overuse of a perceived 'free' resource.   (Everyone pays something.)   The basic level would also provide support for catastrophic illnesses such as cancer (to end bankrupting families due to illness) and provide for care of people who cannot care for themselves (e.g. severe handicaps, brain damage, etc.)   This last point is noting again the spreading the risk aspect of my prior comment.

The funding, given we are talking single payer, would of course largely come from taxes.   But there are all sorts of ways to implement taxes so plenty of options exist.

Now, that is just the basic healthcare.   Level 0, if you will.   This provides the basics one would expect from a civil society.  It also enables standardized practices and the means to use less critical resources to provide medical services (one dimension of cost cutting without cutting quality of care).   For example, one need not have an MD to set a cast or stitch a cut.   Higher levels of healthcare should be provided on a patient pay method (and that includes conventional health insurance as an option).   Those of us with the means can opt into healthcare levels that provide advanced treatments for rarer diseases, more access to specialists, etc.   This, IMO, is a critical aspect to encourage continual advancement in medical technology.

Beyond this, the system could be standardized at the federal level (e.g.  medical records, medical accounts, etc.) and implemented at the state level (and below).   I am sure you can imagine that this paradigm takes many potential forms.

My point, is that there are all sorts of potential systems that technically would fall under the category of 'single payer'.     And, finally, why would a decent system of healthcare for all necessarily be 'single payer'?   Seems to me we have quite a few options.   A good method does not seem to be the problem.   Politics is the problem.

There are many sensible things we can do to improve healthcare in America.

We agree on this.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.1.188  Jack_TX  replied to  TᵢG @2.1.187    6 years ago
And, finally, why would a decent system of healthcare for all necessarily be 'single payer'?

It wouldn't be.  

As I said, it's the standard go-to "solution" for people who haven't a clue on the topic. (specifically the Bernie Sanders "Medicare for all" idea)    

Seems to me we have quite a few options.

Yes.  Most of the best ones involve reasonable and relatively small alterations to current systems.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.1.189  TᵢG  replied to  Jack_TX @2.1.188    6 years ago
Most of the best ones involve reasonable and relatively small alterations to current systems.

I disagree.  We are not able to tweak our system into one that is effective.  If you have a tweak you think will work then let's hear it.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.1.190  Jack_TX  replied to  TᵢG @2.1.189    6 years ago

It's not a tweak.  It would be a coordinated series of reasonable, responsible actions that actually address real issues instead of theoretical ones but do not throw the entire healthcare system into widespread chaos.  For example:

• Extend the ACA subsidies down to $0 income level and replace Medicaid....which sucks.  There isn't any reason the poor shouldn't have the same access and insurance as everybody else, and it costs just over half as much.
  • Simplify the subsidy process, making it look something like the current FAFSA system.  That system generates a voucher that people can use at the insurer of their choice.
  • Standardize insurance options, we did for Medicare supplement plans decades ago.  Set 12-15 standard policy forms so that everybody knows what's covered on their plan.  All "Plan E" policies are the same, all "Plan J" policies are the same, etc.
  • Freeze Medicare reimbursement rates, which in turn freezes or slows the growth of private insurance rates.  US providers are the highest paid in the world, by far.  They won't go broke if they don't get a raise for a while, and it gives the rest of the economy a chance to gain some ground.
  • Require proof of active health insurance in order to qualify for any other social welfare program.  40% of Americans already eligible for Medicaid aren't signed up (US Census figures).  That's because A) It sucks and nobody wants it  B) It's difficult to get for many people and C)  People don't plan ahead.   So they need minor care, they don't have the free health plan we were trying to give them, they go to the local ER, and never pay the astronomical bill they just needlessly ran up.
  • Bring back risk pools and medical screening, so that high risk individuals can have their claims spread out over larger actuarial pools.  The ACA abolished those, which is why premiums skyrocketed.  Before that, 38 states had high risk pools where those claims were spread out over all the people in that state.  After the ACA, insurers could get out of that obligation by simply withdrawing from the individual markets.
  • Mandate standardized electronic formatting for medical records and claims processes, including but not limited to creating new billing codes for PA, nurse practitioner or other non physician provided care.  If you didn't see an actual doctor, you shouldn't be paying for an actual doctor.  But in many practices, that's exactly what's happening.
  • For the people who are just too irresponsible or cheap or stubborn to get insurance, no problem.  Any unpaid medical bills they have can be remitted by the provider to the US Treasury for reimbursement, at which point they get added to that person's tax liability.

That's a start.  There are several other reasonably simple steps we can implement, none of which involve massive new government programs, new spending, or huge tax increases.  They also don't require the 75% of us who currently have health insurance to give it up. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.1.191  TᵢG  replied to  Jack_TX @2.1.190    6 years ago
There are several other reasonably simple steps we can implement, none of which involve massive new government programs, new spending, or huge tax increases. 

What you started to outline seems quite a bit more than 'relatively small alterations' (aka tweaks) to me.   So it is good that you were clear in your response.

And I do not dismiss the approach you have proposed.   It would be an evolutionary approach to a better system and that certainly is a practical way to proceed.    Standardization, for example, is a key factor to improve the effectiveness of any system.

I am not so confident about the effect on taxes, but that is an unknown since one would have to lay out a full plan to figure out the cost structure.

One key factor, though, is the insane costs for cancer (and other complex health problems).   If families are being financially ruined trying to care for a dying member's healthcare costs we do not have a good system.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.1.192  Jack_TX  replied to  TᵢG @2.1.191    6 years ago
If families are being financially ruined trying to care for a dying member's healthcare costs we do not have a good system.

There is an oft-repeated statistic that 60% of bankruptcies in the US are due to medical debt.   It's actually complete hogwash.

The figure comes from a "study" by two Harvard MD's, Steffie Woolhandler and David Himmelstein, where they collected data on bankruptcy filings.  They concluded that 60% were "medical bankruptcies".  

What they don't advertise, and you have to actually read the full study to find, is that they define a "medical bankruptcy" as one with ANY level of medical debt included among the outstanding obligations.  So a person could owe $300k in credit card debt, $400k on a business loan, and $50 on an unpaid office co-pay, and that would be considered a "medical bankruptcy".  

The "study" also does not disclose that the doctors are senior officers in "Physicians for a National Health Plan", a liberal political group whose aim is obvious by its name.

Now, they didn't get on staff at Harvard because they didn't know how to do research properly, so the study is just dishonest enough that used car salesmen everywhere are standing in awe.  But that hasn't stopped it from being a favorite resource for people who want "BernieCare" in spite of the fact it can't possibly work.

IMO, the remarkable statistic is that 40% of US bankruptcies apparently discharge no medical debt whatsoever.

In any case, we're currently right about a 90% insured rate.  A significant number of those people could be insured if we simply made them sign up for the free programs we're trying to give them.  So yes, cancer treatments are very expensive and can ruin an uninsured family.  But we have definitely made some strides, and with intelligent management can work our way to full coverage.

That still isn't going to produce outcomes competitive with European nations, whose lifestyles contribute massively to better health.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.1.193  Jack_TX  replied to  TᵢG @2.1.191    6 years ago
What you started to outline seems quite a bit more than 'relatively small alterations' (aka tweaks) to me.

I consider them small relative to the upheaval proposed by many people.

I also consider them small because few of them are huge deviations from practices that are already in place, or were in place within the last 5 years or so.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.1.194  TᵢG  replied to  Jack_TX @2.1.192    6 years ago
There is an oft-repeated statistic that 60% of bankruptcies in the US are due to medical debt.   It's actually complete hogwash.

That might be the case.  I have not offered any statistics.  My focus has been on the fact that healthcare costs can quickly grow staggering and that suggests we implement methods to achieve a more cost effective system that retains quality and better pools risk.    The lower the medical debt the better since that makes it easier to pool the risk.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.1.195  Bob Nelson  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.181    6 years ago
Ok, we'll all play along and pretend you didn't write what you wrote in post 2.1.101 AND in post 2.1.124.

I wrote what I wrote. I maintain it.

Some members think themselves clever in excerpting, paraphrasing, adulterating... what they read.

What they actually prove is their own intellectual dishonesty.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.1.196  Bob Nelson  replied to  Jack_TX @2.1.185    6 years ago
Well then maybe you and ol' Bob should have a discussion.

That's what we were doing.

Oh? I wasn't aware of any ongoing conversation...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.197  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @2.1.195    6 years ago

Some members read and understand English quite well, quote other member's WHOLE posts, and get accused of misquoting , taking stuff out of context, and of not understanding.

Some of us also recognize bullshit when we see it.

Phhhtttttt.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.198  Sparty On  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.197    6 years ago

That's his little game ....denial, misdirection, obfuscation, insult, denigrate ..... pretty much in that order if you disagree with him

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.199  Texan1211  replied to  Sparty On @2.1.198    6 years ago

I know.

SOSDD

Fireryone
Freshman Silent
2.1.200  Fireryone  replied to  Jack_TX @2.1.183    6 years ago
Your source?

I worked for DHS for 8 year during welfare reform.  I also can provide you several reports that show the average length of time on welfare is roughly 2 years.  So I will challenge you to prove that wrong before we continue. 

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.1.201  Jack_TX  replied to  Fireryone @2.1.200    6 years ago
I worked for DHS for 8 year during welfare reform.  I also can provide you several reports that show the average length of time on welfare is roughly 2 years.  So I will challenge you to prove that wrong before we continue.

Oh...suddenly we're talking about averages?  What happened?

You said "everybody pays".   

Do you deny that some Americans spend their entires lives in poverty?   Because if they do, then obviously not everybody pays.

Fireryone
Freshman Silent
2.1.202  Fireryone  replied to  Jack_TX @2.1.201    6 years ago
Oh...suddenly we're talking about averages?  What happened?

Go review the thread. You're being very disingenuous.  I said most people get of welfare within a short period of time, you asked me for the source and I challenged you to prove me wrong.

It is a fact that when people's incomes increase they do pay taxes.  It is also a fact that most welfare recipients end use within 2-3 years.  

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.1.203  Bob Nelson  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.197    6 years ago

No.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.204  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @2.1.203    6 years ago

YES.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.1.205  Bob Nelson  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.204    6 years ago

No

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.1.206  Jack_TX  replied to  Fireryone @2.1.202    6 years ago
Go review the thread.

Sure thing.  Oh look!  You said this:

Eventually everyone pays in Jack. 

Which is factually incorrect.  I pointed that out.  Politely.

You're being very disingenuous.

By taking you at your word? 

I said most people get of welfare within a short period of time,

No, you said their income rises to the point where they start to pay income taxes and thus contribute to the funding of Medicaid.

you asked me for the source

Which you still have yet to provide.

and I challenged you to prove me wrong. It is a fact that when people's incomes increase they do pay taxes.  It is also a fact that most welfare recipients end use within 2-3 years.  

It is a fact that 48% of Americans pay no income tax.  It is also a fact that 21% of Americans get some form of welfare.

Getting off welfare does NOT mean they are "paying in" to Medicaid.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.207  Texan1211  replied to  Bob Nelson @2.1.205    6 years ago

yes.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.1.208  Bob Nelson  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.207    6 years ago

no

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     6 years ago

Not surprising at all..What do you expect from the party of fiscal restraint.../s

JBB
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  Kavika @3    6 years ago

Cutting social spending was the gop's aim all along. The "Starve the Beast Strategy" is a known gop plan to cut entitlements...

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika @3    6 years ago

What happens when the rich have finally managed to kill off all the poor people? Who's going to pick their lettuce and pluck their chickens then?

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
4  Bob Nelson    6 years ago

Ya gotta love the gall of the Republicans!

First they pass a tax cut that shovels money to the already-rich... and then to make up for the monster deficit they have just created, they require cutbacks to all the programs that help the poor.

Robin Hood in reverse: taking from the poor and giving to the rich.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
4.2  Bob Nelson  replied to  Bob Nelson @4    6 years ago

... and ya gotta love the people who think they're clever...

Laughing at the poor isn't ever funny.

Junior Participates
4.2.2  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Bob Nelson @4.2    6 years ago
Laughing at the poor isn't ever funny.

[removed]

Junior Participates
4.2.3  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to    6 years ago
And saying the poor are being hurt by the tax cuts is not true and not funny either.

It's not meant to be funny.  Blowing up the deficit is party of the republican plan to create a pretext for gutting Social Security and Medicare--eventually to the total destruction of those programs.  They've been at it for over 80 years and there's no sign of them letting up. 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
4.2.4  Bob Nelson  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @4.2.3    6 years ago

Exactly

Split Personality
Professor Guide
4.2.5  Split Personality  replied to  Bob Nelson @4.2.4    6 years ago

but we need more F-35s  at $85 million per unit

to replace our aging F15s ($30mil) and F-16s ($19mil)

or new Nimitz class carriers at $13 Billion apiece...

and a Space Force...price tag unknown...

lady in black
Professor Quiet
4.2.6  lady in black  replied to  Split Personality @4.2.5    6 years ago

And the rich need their corporate welfare.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
4.2.7  Jack_TX  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @4.2.3    6 years ago
Blowing up the deficit is party of the republican plan to create a pretext for gutting Social Security and Medicare--eventually to the total destruction of those programs.

Citation?

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
4.2.8  Jack_TX  replied to  lady in black @4.2.6    6 years ago
And the rich need their corporate welfare.

Please describe this corporate welfare, as you understand it.  

lady in black
Professor Quiet
4.2.9  lady in black  replied to  Jack_TX @4.2.8    6 years ago
  1. First, cut taxes for the rich and corporations, ballooning federal deficits;
  2. Then, claim that deficits are too high and that cuts to government services must be made;
  3. Finally, cut vital entitlements (like Medicaid, Medicare, and Social Security) to offset growing deficits (which was likely part of Trump’s goals from the beginning)

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
4.2.10  Bob Nelson  replied to  Split Personality @4.2.5    6 years ago
but we need more F-35s at $85 million per unit

to replace our aging F15s ($30mil) and F-16s ($19mil)

or new Nimitz class carriers at $13 Billion apiece...

and a Space Force...price tag unknown...

... all of which will be obsolete in a decade, as AI takes over the battlefield...

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
4.2.11  Jack_TX  replied to  lady in black @4.2.9    6 years ago
  • First, cut taxes for the rich and corporations, ballooning federal deficits;
  • Then, claim that deficits are too high and that cuts to government services must be made;
  • Finally, cut vital entitlements (like Medicaid, Medicare, and Social Security) to offset growing deficits (which was likely part of Trump’s goals from the beginning)

So "allowing corporations and/or people to keep the money they've earned" is now "welfare"??  Really?

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
4.2.12  Jack_TX  replied to  Bob Nelson @4.2.10    6 years ago
all of which will be obsolete in a decade, as AI takes over the battlefield...

They'll just upgrade the electronics to match.

lib50
Professor Silent
4.2.13  lib50  replied to  Jack_TX @4.2.8    6 years ago

Here is one I was just reminded of a few seconds ago, that permanent tax deduction for corporate jets.  You know, after they took our mortgage and other deductions away last year, and our 'cut' EXPIRES.  If you really don't know how you are being played you should do some independent investigating. 

Keep in mind none of this includes damages picked up by taxpayers.  Profits get privatized and the damages get socialized, like oil spills and other pollution examples.  People should stop protecting the protected class. 

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
4.2.14  Jack_TX  replied to  lib50 @4.2.13    6 years ago
Here is one I was just reminded of a few seconds ago, that permanent tax deduction for corporate jets.  You know, after they took our mortgage and other deductions away last year, and our 'cut' EXPIRES.

If you lost your mortgage deduction, you are in a financial position where you can no longer refer to high income people as "they".

If you really don't know how you are being played you should do some independent investigating. 

If you don't know your own mortgage deduction, you should do some of your own.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
4.2.15  Bob Nelson  replied to  Jack_TX @4.2.12    6 years ago

There's a pilot in the F-35.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
4.2.16  Jack_TX  replied to  Bob Nelson @4.2.15    6 years ago
There's a pilot in the F-35.

Currently.  

But that can be replaced with fairly basic electronics.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
4.2.17  Bob Nelson  replied to  Jack_TX @4.2.16    6 years ago

The aircraft is in large measure designed around the pilot. The pilot's physical limits determine the aircraft's limits. The aircraft is armored to protect the pilots. And so on.

A drone is designed differently, from the ground up.

lib50
Professor Silent
4.2.18  lib50  replied to  Jack_TX @4.2.14    6 years ago

I'm sorry, when did you go over my tax returns again?  When did you examine the tax codes in my state?  What is the limit again to be considered 'high income'?  Does having wealth mean you can't speak the truth to shitty policies?    I gave fricken examples of how the tax cuts were focused on going to the top, why don't you speak to that?  Speak to the corporate welfare, as opposed to deflecting to me.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
4.2.19  Jack_TX  replied to  lib50 @4.2.18    6 years ago
I'm sorry, when did you go over my tax returns again? 

I don't need to have seen your returns.  I've seen the tax code.  The only way you lost your "mortgage deduction" was if you have a mortgage north on $1 million, or $750k if you bought the house since Dec 14 of last year.

With a $750k mortgage, your payments are almost surely more than the median family income in America.

Does having wealth mean you can't speak the truth to shitty policies?

Say whatever you want.  But complaining about tax cuts for the rich while complaining about losing the mortgage deduction on your million dollar home with $70k/yr payments is Trump level bullshit.

I gave fricken examples of how the tax cuts were focused on going to the top, why don't you speak to that?  Speak to the corporate welfare, as opposed to deflecting to me.

Many of your examples had nothing to do with the "Trump" tax cuts.  They include state and local tax cuts used to attract businesses and workers to a state or municipality.  Texas does this all the time, because it's damned good business.  We offer a company $10 million in tax breaks and get 800 families working, paying taxes, and growing our economy.

Studiusbagus
Sophomore Quiet
4.2.20  Studiusbagus  replied to  Jack_TX @4.2.8    6 years ago

I'll give you a name and a whole industry to prove that.

Name: Archer Daniels Midland

Largest ethanol maker and diverse consumer of corporate welfare for a few decades now.

Then...we have the American Sugar industry...supported by our government to the point that American consumers pay the highest price for sugar in the world.

Studiusbagus
Sophomore Quiet
4.2.21  Studiusbagus  replied to    6 years ago
Please provide facts instead of fictions.

Why? You don't. You disappear when you're asked for them.

But here's a factual clue for you.

When you make a big deal of a tax break and then have to cut programs to make up the losses ...programs like Head Start, Meals on Wheels, medical clinincs.....

Those sort of cuts hurt....there it is! The poor.

Junior Participates
4.2.22  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @4.2.2    6 years ago

A "sweeping generalization" which, nevertheless,  happens to be true.  

Junior Participates
4.2.23  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Jack_TX @4.2.14    6 years ago
If you lost your mortgage deduction, you are in a financial position where you can no longer refer to high income people as "they".

Well, that's pretty much BS.  The mortgage interest deduction is lost when it's on a loan of $750k or more.  Someone who can afford that mortgage is likely pretty well off but that's a far cry from someone who can afford to buy a private jet.  And, yes, this tax giveaway applies to individuals:

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
4.2.24  Jack_TX  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @4.2.23    6 years ago
Someone who can afford that mortgage is likely pretty well off

So it's not BS at all then.  Glad we agree.  Math is a good thing.

Junior Participates
4.2.25  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Jack_TX @4.2.24    6 years ago
So it's not BS at all then. 

About 75% BS.  The other 25% is just standard poor information.   Is that good for you?

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
4.2.26  Jack_TX  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @4.2.25    6 years ago
About 75% BS.  The other 25% is just standard poor information.   Is that good for you?

Ever actually bought a house?

If you have a $1 million note on your home your PITI is about $6200/mo, assuming a 3.5% interest rate and standard tax and insurance rates.  To qualify for that, you need income in the neighborhood of $172k.

If you make $172k, you are in the top 4% of incomes in the US.  

Junior Participates
4.2.27  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Jack_TX @4.2.26    6 years ago
To qualify for that, you need income in the neighborhood of $172k.

I have bought a number of houses and no way would I have been able, with a family of four  two of which in university back to back with one overlapping year along with all other household and general living expenses to afford that mortgage.  Ever heard of the "28-36 rule:"

Most mortgage lenders use the 28-36 rule to determine what you can afford and how much money they’re willing to lend you. The 28-36 rule states that your maximum household expenses shouldn’t exceed 28 percent of your gross monthly income. This is also called the housing ratio or the front-end ratio. Likewise, total debt , which includes everything from student loans to credit cards, should fall below 36 percent of your income. This number is your debt-to-income ratio, or DTI. To get this number simply add all of your monthly debt and divide it by your gross monthly income. If your monthly income is $4,167, or $50,000 annually, and your debt is $600 per month then you have a DTI of 14 percent. For those who are preparing to buy a house, following this rule will not only help you budget wisely but might also help you qualify for a loan since these ratios are important to lenders.

In your example, the borrower is already at 43% with the mortgage payment alone.  Do you realize it was lenders making just the kind of loan you described above that led to the housing collapse when borrowers couldn't make their payments. A loan of that size on that income would be negligent in the extreme. And any borrower who got away with getting that loan approved deserved what will happen to him.  

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
4.2.28  Jack_TX  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @4.2.27    6 years ago
I have bought a number of houses and no way would I have been able, with a family of four  two of which in university back to back with one overlapping year along with all other household and general living expenses to afford that mortgage.  Ever heard of the "28-36 rule:"

Exactly.

So nobody who is making a payment like that is anywhere close to "middle income".  That was my point.

In your example, the borrower is already at 43% with the mortgage payment alone.

Yes.  Again...that was the point. 

Do you realize it was lenders making just the kind of loan you described above that led to the housing collapse when borrowers couldn't make their payments.

Meh.  It was more the "zero down" and "bad credit" loans, but certainly maximum DTI is not a good practice. 

But.....agreeing with you again...this is a scenario demonstrating lowest income needed to lose the mortgage deduction, and reinforcing the point that the only people impacted by that need to stop talking about the rich in the third person.

A loan of that size on that income would be negligent in the extreme. And any borrower who got away with getting that loan approved deserved what will happen to him.  

Right.  Exactly.  So realistically, a person with such a loan probably has a much higher income and is even more affluent.  That was the point.  Glad we're on the same page.

Junior Participates
4.2.29  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to    6 years ago
And saying the poor are being hurt by the tax cuts is not true and not funny either.

It's sort of amazing how often this has to be explained.  Tax cuts reduce revenue so that's the excuse republicans will use to start snipping away at the social safety net that the poor and even middle class earners in the country depend on so heavily:  SocSec, Medicare being the big ones.  This has been the goal of the extreme rightwing ever since those programs came into existence. 

Junior Participates
4.2.30  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Jack_TX @4.2.28    6 years ago
So realistically, a person with such a loan probably has a much higher income and is even more affluent.

So, furthermore, are not likely to be hurt financially by the loss of the deduction.  But there would be those who fit the example you gave and I don't think anyone gives a shit about those people. IOW, the loss of this deduction which was supposed to hit blue state residents (as if the republicans in those states would somehow not count) is simply attempting to use the tax code for political punishment.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
4.2.31  Jack_TX  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @4.2.30    6 years ago
So, furthermore, are not likely to be hurt financially by the loss of the deduction.

Yes.  

So to review.... If Trump actually "took away our mortgage deduction", that means the person in question is affluent enough to have that size mortgage in the first place.  For that person to turn around and then also complain about the tax cut favoring the rich would make them look a bit stupid.

But there would be those who fit the example you gave and I don't think anyone gives a shit about those people.

There is one of those people on this thread.  Pay attention.  

Also, "I don't think anyone gives a shit about xxx people" is something high school kids say. 

They are people.  They count.  Having money does not make them less important, less human, less worthy or of lower character.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
6  Bob Nelson    6 years ago

My son already has what I could give him: education and a will of his own. He is doing very well.

Of course. That's the law.

Junior Participates
6.1  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Bob Nelson @6    6 years ago

It's never a good idea to think we've seen the silliest, most ridiculous statements from these people in their desperation arguments, is it.  The next one will always top the last.