╌>

Mazie Hirono Demands Men 'Shut Up And Step Up' In The Face Of Kavanaugh Accusation

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tessylo  •  6 years ago  •  47 comments

Mazie Hirono Demands Men 'Shut Up And Step Up' In The Face Of Kavanaugh Accusation

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Politics

710c91c0-4b9c-11e7-8912-374be9390b1b_H-1   Alanna Vagianos, HuffPost   3 hours ago  

2a539d41685ab17e44b89fe6c1f36dda Sen. Mazie Hirono (D-Hawaii) has an important message for men in the wake of

Sen.  Mazie Hirono  (D-Hawaii) has an important message for men in the wake of the recent   sexual assault accusation   against   Supreme Court   nominee   Brett Kavanaugh

“I just want to say to the men in this country, just shut up and step up. Do the right thing for a change,” Hirono said during a press event on Tuesday. 

Hirono is part of the Senate Judiciary Committee tasked to hear testimony from Kavanaugh and vote on his nomination. She’s one of only four women on the committee. The hearings, which began earlier this month, have been scheduled to continue next week after Christine Blasey Ford, who goes by Christine Blasey professionally, publicly accused Kavanaugh in a Sunday news story of sexually assaulting her in 1982 during a high school party. 

“I expect the men in this country and the men in this committee ... to demand an FBI investigation,” Hirono said earlier in the presser. “But really, guess who’s perpetuating all of these kinds of actions? It’s the men in this country.”

Blasey, a Palo Alto University professor, went public with her identity and full story on Sunday in an  explosive interview with The Washington Post . She accused a drunken 17-year-old Kavanaugh of pinning her to a bed and grinding on her, while attempting to take her clothes off. Blasey said when she tried to scream he put his hand over her mouth to silence her. Kavanaugh has “ categorically and unequivocally ” denied Ford’s allegation.

Since Blasey came forward, she and her family have   received death threats , forcing them to move from their home. 

“Let’s face it, this is so patently unfair to her and what really bothers me and gets me so angry is that the White House is victimizing this person,” Hirono said. “Why don’t we get that out there? Why should we participate in a victimization of someone who has the courage to come forward and she is under absolutely no obligation to participate in a smearing of her and her family.”

President   Donald Trump   has   continued to defend   his Supreme Court pick in the face of the accusation, recently adding that he feels “ terribly ” for Kavanaugh. Trump has been   accused of sexual misconduct by over 20 women

It is unclear whether Blasey will testify during Kavanaugh’s confirmation hearing next week, but the professor told The Washington Post in Sunday’s story: “I feel like my civic responsibility is outweighing my anguish and my terror about retaliation.”

• This article originally appeared on   HuffPost .

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Tessylo    6 years ago

Since Blasey came forward, she and her family have   received death threats , forcing them to move from their home. 

“Let’s face it, this is so patently unfair to her and what really bothers me and gets me so angry is that the White House is victimizing this person,” Hirono said. “Why don’t we get that out there? Why should we participate in a victimization of someone who has the courage to come forward and she is under absolutely no obligation to participate in a smearing of her and her family.”

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Tessylo @1    6 years ago

While I am totally against death threats and victimization of any kind, the tone of your comments is that if the progressive left victimized a right leaning conservative, which does in fact happen, you would have no problem with it because they were conservative?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.1    6 years ago

I quoted the article - so you can stuff your comments about the tone of my comments.  

Since when are the 'right' the victims of anything?

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.1.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.1    6 years ago

Thank you for proving my point with such politeness and eloquence. I asked you a reasonable question that was not meant in any way to be condescending and you blew me off with insult and deflection. If I offended, please accept my apologies. You have a nice day now.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1.3  Greg Jones  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.1    6 years ago

Deleted

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2  Jack_TX    6 years ago

I would like to see how it goes when a male senator tells women to "shut up and step up".

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Jack_TX @2    6 years ago

I see you have nothing to say about the death threats.

Rmando
Sophomore Silent
2.1.1  Rmando  replied to  Tessylo @2.1    6 years ago

Maxine Waters issues death threats against Republicans literally every day.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.2  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Rmando @2.1.1    6 years ago

Literally?  For serious?  Please provide the citations to back up your claims.  

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.1.3  Jack_TX  replied to  Tessylo @2.1    6 years ago

No.  I'm not law enforcement.  Death threats are their job.

Hiring knows that too, btw.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.4  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Jack_TX @2.1.3    6 years ago

WTF are you whining about?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3  seeder  Tessylo    6 years ago

A bunch of arrogant dicks - the gop.  Yeah, who wouldn't love being questioned by a bunch of dicks about the attempted rape by a drunken little dick?

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
3.1  Skrekk  replied to  Tessylo @3    6 years ago

The bulk of those who try to discredit and shame rape victims certainly do seem to be conservative men.    I presume that's either due to misogynistic arrogance or some kind of psychological insecurity.

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
3.1.2  lennylynx  replied to  Skrekk @3.1    6 years ago

Righties all have little ones.  It explains almost everything about them when you think about it! jrSmiley_2_smiley_image.png

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.3  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  lennylynx @3.1.2    6 years ago

Luv ya Lenny!!!  No wonder all the righties are so angry all the time.  Eternally cheated with their little weiners.  

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3.1.4  Greg Jones  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.3    6 years ago

We're the angry ones? I don't think so. The potty mouthed replies on here and in other articles all seem to emanate from left field.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.5  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Greg Jones @3.1.4    6 years ago

Oh we're potty mouths?  Lenny go wash your mouth out with soap and I'll do the same.  jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

Hmmm, I think Greg doth protests too much.  

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
3.1.6  Skrekk  replied to    6 years ago
with a sweeping generalization thrown in

I didn't say that ALL conservative men discredit and shame rape victims just the overwhelming majority of them.    It seems to be a very common pattern for them, no doubt rooted in the misogyny they espouse in other aspects of their lives.....like their vote for President Pussy Grabber.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
4  Mark in Wyoming     6 years ago

Interesting , well madam senator , I say , let the accusor provide the undeniable proof the accusation is true ,  which I have serious doubts she has past just the verbal accusation that is being used politically.

it is not for the accused to prove their innoicence , but for the one making the accusation to prove that the accused is guilty, standard procedure in legal circles .

frankly I would like to see a law created that holds those that make accusations that are unprovable criminal, and if you are a parent of a male today , just remember at some time 20-30- or 40 years from now some female can do the same to that male child of yours with no consequence or recourse to be had , ruining their lives  just by the accusation.

In other words , if you are prepared to make the accusation , you better be prepared to prove it.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
4.1  Skrekk  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @4    6 years ago
frankly I would like to see a law created that holds those that make accusations that are unprovable criminal

Fat Albert the rapist sure wishes that such a law existed.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
4.1.1  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Skrekk @4.1    6 years ago

Well shrek , I don't think what brought down fat albert was the accusations , but the multiple number of accusations that all had the same storyline and modus operandi. kinda like when my ex wife told me she married a guy that had been married 6 times before he married her , and wasn't for the same reasons from all 6, I asked her so you think your lucky #7 and he wont do to you what he did to them? he "changed" she said …….damn that was hard to type through the tears of laughter....

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
4.1.2  Skrekk  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @4.1.1    6 years ago

I see.....so only he said / she said rape cases should be prosecuted when there are dozens and dozens of victims?

How do you ever reach that point if an unprovable accusation is treated as a criminal offense?

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
4.1.3  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Skrekk @4.1.2    6 years ago
so only he said / she said rape cases should be prosecuted when there are dozens and dozens of victims?

I didn't say that now did I? I said that was LIKELY a factor in the case YOU mentioned . which I was discussing with you, fat albert, no other case.

libel and slander laws already exist, they just have no criminal penalties to speak of , usually just monetary , if that . and yes I think a criminal penalty should be added to those laws.

now in the case currently unfolding on a SC nom, there is one accusor , who has offered from what I see no evidence other than to have an accusation  and as I have said here and on other posts , I await for her to present evidentiary proof that is sustainable  of her accusation , even if it is circumstantial that would warrant a closer look, so far I do not think that has been offered up for consideration.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
4.1.4  Jack_TX  replied to  Skrekk @4.1.2    6 years ago
I see.....so only he said / she said rape cases should be prosecuted when there are dozens and dozens of victims?

Why bother to prosecute?  Why not just line them up in front of a firing squad as soon as a woman accuses them?

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
4.1.5  Skrekk  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @4.1.3    6 years ago
I didn't say that now did I? I said that was LIKELY a factor in the case YOU mentioned

No, what you said was that "the accusers in cases which can't be proven should be held criminally liable."    It's a profoundly naive comment which ignores the circumstances of most sexual assaults and it ignores the realities which cause victims to delay reporting an assault sometimes for decades (if ever).    It would mean that even fewer sexual assaults would be reported than currently are and cases like Fat Albert's would never ever be brought before a court.

[deleted]

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
4.1.6  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Skrekk @4.1.5    6 years ago

And the criminal liability would and will put the onus of PROOF of guilt squarely where it belongs , on those that make an accusation. instead of the accused having to prove a negative , that it DIDNT happen, years or decades later.

as it is now anyone can make any accusation against anyone with absolutely no real criminal liability for  it , even if the accused is found innocent , the taint is still there, and the accusor , walks away smelling of lavender and spice.

and it is not limited to sexual assault , I can ask someone if they still beat their dog , and they reply no, that can be twisted into they at one time DID actually habitually beat their dog , when the fact is they NEVER did in the first place, but what will be remembered is not that they didn't , but that they didn't ANYMORE.

and yes I do think the first thing any person should do before making ANY ACCUSATION alluding someone is guilty of an action , is ask themselves , what exactly can be proved, what evidence can be presented to back up the claim.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
4.1.7  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  Skrekk @4.1.5    6 years ago

I thought we were having a decent conversation on a subject , right up to your last sentence , which is why I flagged it.

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
4.1.8  Skrekk  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @4.1.6    6 years ago
And the criminal liability would and will put the onus of PROOF of guilt squarely where it belongs , on those that make an accusation. instead of the accused having to prove a negative , that it DIDNT happen, years or decades later.

No, what you're asking is for even fewer rapes and sexual assaults to be reported.   What's your motive for that?

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
5  bbl-1    6 years ago

Better yet.  About time someone ask the GOP why they want to make pregnancy termination illegal and what the penalties will be if they succeed.

And also, why is it so important to the GOP that 'the conservative' courts to have the power to not check, redress, indict or prosecute a sitting president?

This too.  If it can be proven that a judicial nominee lied under oath during confirmation hearings, why isn't that nominee removed from any office they currently hold and prosecuted?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  bbl-1 @5    6 years ago

Yup, the phony prick Kavanaugh has already perjured himself several times.  

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
5.1.1  Ronin2  replied to  Tessylo @5.1    6 years ago

Prove it. Or are you going to bring out the doctored videos the Democratic senators have put together that have already been debunked?

I am against Kavanaugh being on the Supreme Court for his involvement of deciding torture was legal during the Bush administration; but he is still innocent until proven guilty.  If this is the best the Dems have he will be confirmed, no matter how much the left kicks and screams.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
5.1.2  bbl-1  replied to  Ronin2 @5.1.1    6 years ago

The 'torture thing' you mentioned is just one of the ( truths ) you asked for.  He lied under oath and documentation ( previously hidden by the current administration ) proves it.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
5.1.3  Ronin2  replied to  bbl-1 @5.1.2    6 years ago

Please cite the documentation directly. I know that the administration released more documents- to add to the mountains of information Congress already had received.

As for the torture legality decision he admitted his role in it, it is very well documented. The ethics involved for finding a way around US law is staggering. I wouldn't have chosen him for that very reason; but that is not my decision to make.

I know about the female Democratic Senators smear commercials by editing his comments; they have already been debunked.

As for this accusation. That is all it is. He is innocent until proven guilty.  As for the call for men to "shut up, and step up"- the Senator is absolutely wrong. There is nothing for the FBI to investigate. It is not a federal crime. Not that there would be anything left to investigate with the amount of time that has passed; her lack of information of where, when, and who else was at the gathering. Since we do not convict anyone w/o a fair (or what passes for fair these days) trial; this is a delaying tactic.  The court of public opinion lead to the Duke Lacrosse players trial. Google it if you need a reminder of why we should never move to convict based on the court of public opinion.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
5.1.4  Greg Jones  replied to  Tessylo @5.1    6 years ago
Yup, the phony prick Kavanaugh has already perjured himself several times.

Can you list them? Can you list even one? I didn't think so.

The clock is ticking for the "victim" to show up.

Tick-Tock, Tick-Tock, Tick-Tock.......jrSmiley_48_smiley_image.gif

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.5  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Greg Jones @5.1.4    6 years ago

Also the meeting with Rump's personal attorneys about the Mueller investigation.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
5.1.6  bbl-1  replied to  Ronin2 @5.1.3    6 years ago

"the torture thing."  Pay attention.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
5.1.7  Ronin2  replied to  bbl-1 @5.1.6    6 years ago

Again, provide proof he committed perjury.  We are waiting.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
5.1.8  bbl-1  replied to  Ronin2 @5.1.7    6 years ago

Read and study the transcripts of the 'effen' testimony.

The foot is on your shoe.  You prove that he did not lie.  You can't.  Because he did.  I am waiting.  The proof is already there.  The GOP can't move though.  To do so would be the end for them and they know it. 

Besides, Lindsey Graham said it's 'no big deal' to lie to the congress.  There it is.  There you have it.  "You will bow and kneel to Trump."  The Omarosa.   Get out the kneepads.  Prepare.

Rmando
Sophomore Silent
6  Rmando    6 years ago

Can we just de annex Hawaii at this point? That whole thing is looking like a bad idea.