╌>

Women Shouldn't Have to Make Heroic Sacrifices Just to Hold Their Abusers Accountable

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tessylo  •  6 years ago  •  37 comments

Women Shouldn't Have to Make Heroic Sacrifices Just to Hold Their Abusers Accountable

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

d0822eb0-bbb7-11e5-aa2a-c102fc486684_76b   Sady Doyle, Elle   1 hour 45 minutes ago

4c3b9a0872cbdb47f1b9efc63b6eff1f

From ELLE

Christine Blasey Ford is the latest in a long line of women who have been asked to make an impossible sacrifice.

From the moment she wrote to Senator Dianne Feinstein, alleging that Brett Kavanaugh attempted to rape her when they were both teenagers, her life has been on the line. She knows this; it’s why she asked Feinstein to   keep her account confidential.   That it did not remain so - and that Ford’s name, and place of employment, and home address, were all revealed - was, probably, inevitable. And it is just as inevitable that the GOP is refusing to listen or consider her account unless she agrees to make herself even more visible, and open herself up to even crueler attacks. This is the choice facing sexual assault accusers: Tell your story, and expose yourself to the public scrutiny and punishment our culture inflicts on women who tattle, or stay silent, and watch your assailant ascend to the heights of power unscathed.

Since being identified as Kavanaugh’s accuser, Ford has had to   vacate her home   and go into hiding, taking her children with her. Several alt-right accounts have posted her address online, encouraging their followers to go after her; she’s been inundated with death threats, and once a doxing has taken place, any death threat has to be treated as credible. For the foreseeable future, she is a woman whose life is permanently at risk.

This, too, is a typical outcome for women who are publicly caught up in the sexual misbehavior of powerful men. Last January, Tina Johnson’s   house burned down   after she claimed that Alabama Senate candidate Roy Moore had groped her. After Ken Starr forced Monica Lewinsky to testify against Bill Clinton, she didn’t find work for two decades. Anita Hill - who testified that Clarence Thomas had sexually harassed her at his Supreme Court confirmation hearing, nearly thirty years ago, and who has, more than any of us, reason to despair - has written that she received   “an answering machine full of messages,   some worse than I had anticipated–death threats and threats of rape or sodomy. People felt free to leave the most cruel and revolting messages imaginable.” She is intermittently attacked by the right wing to this day.

5195edfd1ae85b408a1509b488aabf49

Which is to say: Much has been made of whether Christine Blasey Ford will or will not testify against Kavanaugh at his hearings - whether she’ll have her “Anita Hill moment,” or whether (as the GOP is clearly hoping) she’ll refuse to testify, cling to whatever scraps of privacy or anonymity are still left to her, and thereby give them an excuse to write her off. This is the choice: Be heard, and suffer from having your integrity and character attacked, or be silent, and suffer from not being heard at all. There’s no suffering-free option.

It’s important to note that we actually don’t need Ford to testify in order to regard the allegations as credible, serious and relevant. There’s corroborating testimony, both in the notes of her therapist, to whom she described the incident back in 2012, and from other women in her social circle at the time. (Cristina King Miranda, who went to school with Ford, wrote on Facebook that   “this incident did happen.   Many of us heard about it in school and Christine’s recollection should be more than enough for us to truly, deeply know that the accusation is true.”) Ford also passed a polygraph test - and, though polygraphs are unreliable, the mere fact that she voluntarily sat for one speaks volumes. Finally, she herself has asked for an FBI investigation into the claim of assault; in a letter, her attorneys state that   “a full investigation by law enforcement officials   will ensure that the crucial facts and witnesses in this matter are assessed in a non-partisan manner, and that the Committee is fully informed before conducting any hearing or making any decisions."

If this were a criminal trial for sexual assault, we might need the victim to testify. But it isn’t. It’s a hearing in which Kavanaugh’s character and judgment are being assessed. Allegations like these, in which the accuser has voluntarily offered up her account for outside verification - and received it, from more than one source - can and should be taken under consideration, with or without Ford being physically present in the room with Kavanaugh. Or, as Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-IA) has horrifyingly suggested, sharing a table with him.

Yet Republicans, by and large, have rejected the idea of an FBI investigation - which would, after all, only help them to know what questions to ask if Ford testified - and insisted on the testimony or nothing. This is the only answer they will accept: Christine Blasey Ford in a room or at a table with the man she says tried to rape her. She is expected to do this, knowing full well that any increase in visibility will likely increase the level of threats she receives from the alt-right, and knowing that other women in her position have had their careers and private lives ripped apart.

As penance for having a story to tell, Christine Blasey Ford is expected to provide us with the spectacle of her public re-traumatization. And, if she makes the sane choice - the choice you or I would likely make - and backs away from the spotlight before her house burns down, we’ll call her a liar. After all, why would a woman who’s telling the truth walk away?

Here’s why: Clarence Thomas was confirmed to the Supreme Court. After everything Anita Hill said in her testimony, after everything she risked to give it to us, the men in power still decided Thomas was worthy of filling one of the United States’ most powerful and consequential roles. The same thing may happen with Kavanaugh - the GOP seem determined to cram him through, no matter how many horrifying crimes (er, excuse me,   “rough horseplay”)   he may have committed.

Sexual assault survivors, more often than not, don’t gain anything by becoming visible. Their testimonies rarely manage to make a dent in abusers’ reputations. More often than not, the best these women can do - the thing they risk their reputations and mental health for, the goal they sacrifice their homes or their jobs or their lives to achieve - is to become an asterisk, a tiny footnote in the long story of an abuser’s rise to power. They ruin their lives to become parentheticals: Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas (once accused of harassment by Anita Hill). The game is not worth the candle; we are asking Christine Blasey Ford to throw herself on the tracks, in a last-ditch attempt to stop Kavanaugh’s confirmation, knowing full well the train will probably run her over regardless.

Christine Blasey Ford has chosen to speak, despite the cost. She’s a hero. Anita Hill was, and still is, a hero. Any woman who speaks up about a powerful, predatory man is helping to create a culture where survivors can be heard. But women shouldn’t have to make heroic sacrifices just to hold their abusers accountable, or to live in a country where those abusers don’t call the shots. It’s okay for women to just be people, with lives, which we are unwilling to see torn apart in the name of truth or principle. We have asked Christine Blasey Ford to make an impossible sacrifice. She isn’t the first and won’t be the last. Until we live in a culture that genuinely values women more than the powerful male predators they confront, women will still be asked to throw themselves on the tracks to save us - one by one by one.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Tessylo    6 years ago

Since being identified as Kavanaugh’s accuser, Ford has had to   vacate her home   and go into hiding, taking her children with her. Several alt-right accounts have posted her address online, encouraging their followers to go after her; she’s been inundated with death threats, and once a doxing has taken place, any death threat has to be treated as credible. For the foreseeable future, she is a woman whose life is permanently at risk.

This, too, is a typical outcome for women who are publicly caught up in the sexual misbehavior of powerful men. Last January, Tina Johnson’s   house burned down   after she claimed that Alabama Senate candidate Roy Moore had groped her. After Ken Starr forced Monica Lewinsky to testify against Bill Clinton, she didn’t find work for two decades. Anita Hill - who testified that Clarence Thomas had sexually harassed her at his Supreme Court confirmation hearing, nearly thirty years ago, and who has, more than any of us, reason to despair - has written that she received   “an answering machine full of messages,   some worse than I had anticipated–death threats and threats of rape or sodomy. People felt free to leave the most cruel and revolting messages imaginable.” She is intermittently attacked by the right wing to this day.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2  Bob Nelson    6 years ago

jrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gif

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
3  Ronin2    6 years ago

Wow, bestowing hero status on someone just for making an accusation. 

If she really was a hero, and so concerned about Kavanaugh having influence at the federal level, or any level for that matter, she would have come forward a very long time ago.  Now she is expecting her accusation to accepted with no evidence, no witnesses (outside of Judge who has denied it in writing already see link below), and no trial. Seems the left has forgotten about the fallout from the Duke Lacrosse rape accusation.  There is a reason we don't try and convict anyone with the court of public opinion.

“In fact, I have no memory of the alleged incident,” Judge said in a statement via his lawyer . “Brett Kavanaugh and I were friends in high school but I do not recall the party described in Dr. Ford’s letter. More to the point, I never saw Brett act in the manner that Dr. Ford describes.”

Judiciary Committee Chair Chuck Grassley (R-IA) has called only Kavanaugh and Ford as witnesses for a public hearing on Monday, despite pressure from Democrats to invite Judge and others who may have relevant testimony.

“I have no more information to offer the Committee and I do not wish to speak publicly regarding the incidents described in Dr. Ford’s letter,” Judge said in his statement.

The only reason the left has gone all in for her is she has accused a conservative judge they don't want to see on the bench.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.2  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Ronin2 @3    6 years ago

Why do you keep bringing up the Duke Lacrosse incident?  It has nothing to do with this.  

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.2.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  Tessylo @3.2    6 years ago
u keep bringing up the Duke Lacrosse incident?

If you can't figure that out.......

lib50
Professor Silent
3.2.3  lib50  replied to    6 years ago

Doh!  Hence the call for an investigation!  And witnesses!  Why are republicans having such a problem  doing this right?  INVESTIGATE!

MrFrost
Professor Expert
3.2.5  MrFrost  replied to    6 years ago

How do you for a fact that Ford's allegations are false? We'll wait.

lib50
Professor Silent
3.2.7  lib50  replied to    6 years ago
They are investigating it...if the accuser decides to show up

Really?  Who exactly is investigating?  Because that would be new, and I don't see it under breaking news.  I've seen the GOP continue to say it WON'T be investigated. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.2.9  Sean Treacy  replied to  lib50 @3.2.7    6 years ago
  Who exactly is investigating?

you know the witnesses and Kavanaugh have already given statements under oath and are subject to jail for lying, right? You know that's what an investigation is, right? 

Why won't the accuser give her version of events under oath?

lib50
Professor Silent
3.2.10  lib50  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.2.9    6 years ago
you know the witnesses and Kavanaugh have already given statements under oath and are subject to jail for lying, right? You know that's what an investigation is, right? 

Uh, what witnesses?  And no, Kavanaugh has NOT been questioned about this and other more specific questions pertaining to that time under oath.  In fact, I read he got a little pissy when they were preparing him and it was around those type of personal questions.  He hasn't taken a lie detector test.  And STILL there has not been and so far won't be an investigation.  (Your definition of an investigation isn't even close, by the way, and has nothing to do with oaths.  How will they know if false testimony is given if they never investigated?)

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.2.11  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  lib50 @3.2.10    6 years ago
'In fact, I read he got a little pissy when they were preparing him and it was around those type of personal questions.'

Wasn't this phony prick involved in the impeachment hearings regarding Bill Clinton?  I heard the only questions he wanted to ask were involving the consensual affair and blow jobs from Ms. Lewinsky.  

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
3.3  Jack_TX  replied to  Ronin2 @3    6 years ago
Wow, bestowing hero status on someone just for making an accusation. 

I know.  I have learned that many people in today's society have a very different definition of the word "hero" than I do.

If she really was a hero, and so concerned about Kavanaugh having influence at the federal level, or any level for that matter, she would have come forward a very long time ago.

That still wouldn't make her a hero.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
3.3.1  Ronin2  replied to  Jack_TX @3.3    6 years ago
That still wouldn't make her a hero.

You are correct, but it would make her far more credible; and we wouldn't be in the situation we are now. Point taken, and I will follow my own advise on bestowing hero status.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4  Sean Treacy    6 years ago

Not a mention of the death threats received by Susan Collins simply for requesting due process? 

Or the fact that those death threats were mocked by an elected Democratic Member of Congress?

Just like liberals don't seem to  care about violence towards some women (look how many women beaters Democrats keep electing), I guess they only care about death threats towards women who think as they are told. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.2  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Sean Treacy @4    6 years ago

Please provide proof of the death threat to Collins.

Mrs. Ford has been receiving death threats too.  

lib50
Professor Silent
4.3  lib50  replied to  Sean Treacy @4    6 years ago

All threats are bad and need investigating.  This entire sordid affair needs investigating.  Why are republicans unwilling to do what needs to be done here?  I'm also struck with how many on the right seem to think minors get passes on bad behavior (although that is not the case for other (less white) people, who are judged like adults even younger than 17.....but I digress).

lib50
Professor Silent
4.3.2  lib50  replied to    6 years ago

Or,  republican feelings on minors being treated differently have suddenly changed.  Look it up.

The conservative movement has not, typically, lamented these realities. In fact, the American right played a central role in bringing them into being. Richard Nixon’s appeals to “law and order” helped inaugurate a draconian turn in American criminal justice, one that both parties ultimately embraced, but which Republicans have championed with greater fervor and consistency. And a cornerstone of “tough on crime” policy-making has been to recast juvenile offenders as irredeemable “super-predators”: During the 1990s, virtually every state passed laws enabling prosecutors to try juveniles in adult criminal courts, and increasing potential sentences for crimes committed by those under 18.

The Trump administration has evinced little discomfort with this state of affairs. The president regularly refers to teenage gang members as “animals,” and has, in the past, called for imposing the death penalty on alleged teen rapists . Attorney General Jeff Sessions, meanwhile, has actively made the criminal justice system more punitive toward juvenile offenders . And other right-wing commentators have frequently defended summary execution as a justifiable punishment for a wide array offenses committed by African-American teenagers.

But in the past 24 hours, the right’s thinking on juvenile justice appears to have radically changed: Where conservatives once believed that people who commit violent crimes as teenagers do not necessarily deserve the opportunity to ever reenter free society, many now contend that such people should not (necessarily) be denied the chance to serve on the nation’s highest court.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.3.3  Sean Treacy  replied to  lib50 @4.3    6 years ago
This entire sordid affair needs investigating. 

True. Kavanaugh's given his version under oath. Two witnesses have given statements subject to jail time for lying. 

The first step in an investigation is usually the accuser giving a statement under oath. She's refused to do that and is even hiding the letter she wrote. Why won't she follow standard procedure, do your think?  Kavanugh, unusually for a man facing criminal liability for sexual assault, is willing to testify repeatedly under oath, which any lawyer will tell you is insanely risky.

Yet, the accuser is the one making  impossible demands.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
5  The Magic 8 Ball    6 years ago

if she did not want to play political games she would have just filed a police report.