╌>

Panama City weathers brunt of Hurricane Michael's destructive force

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  6 years ago  •  13 comments

Panama City weathers brunt of Hurricane Michael's destructive force
"I've been here all my life and I've never seen the water hit the end of the pier the way that it's doing," the mayor of Panama City Beach said.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

As Hurricane Michael menaced the Florida Panhandle with howling winds and dangerous surf, residents riding out the storm in the popular resort town of Panama City Beach witnessed just how much damage it could deliver.

Videos on social media showed 155-mph winds   ripping tarps off roofs   and   new housing on the beach   collapsing into the encroaching waves.

"The resort next to us is completely demolished," said Lisa Dawn Parker, 51, who has lived in Panama City Beach for almost three years and who was riding out the storm along with her boyfriend in a friend’s apartment right by the beach.

"The windows are blown out. The whole front of it's gone," she said in a phone interview with NBC News Wednesday after the storm hit.

"We didn't think it was going to be worse than [hurricane] Ivan," she said. "We don't know why we stayed."

She said there was "lots and lots of wind and debris," and that "the rest of the beach is getting tattered with waves. The water looks like it's gone up to the dunes from here."

The hurricane had maximum sustained winds of 155 mph when it made landfall Wednesday morning, making it a Category 4 — but the winds slowed slightly as it churned over land. Three major utilities in Florida reported outages affecting hundreds of thousands of customers.

"I've been here all my life and I've never seen the water hit the end of the pier the way that it's doing," Panama City Beach Mayor Mike Thomas told MSNBC before the storm  made landfall Wednesday afternoon  near Mexico Beach, a sparsely populated town about 28 miles to the southeast.

He said he was disheartened that a number of the town's 12,000 residents failed to   evacuate ahead in time , instead choosing to shelter in place. Even if they wanted to, all of the bridges in the county were deemed unsafe and closed earlier Wednesday afternoon.

"If you're going to live in a beautiful place, there's always some kind of problem with it, and this is truly beautiful, even now ... it's just a shame [the hurricane is] so destructive," Thomas said.

Read more at seeded content

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    6 years ago

Here is an interesting piece of information I researched. Michael was the third worse hurricane in the history of taking down this information.

Most intense landfalling tropical cyclones in the United States Intensity is measured solely by central pressure
(lower mbar is higher intensity)
Rank System Season Landfall pressure
1 "Labor Day" 1935 892   mbar   ( hPa )
2 Camille 1969 900 mbar (hPa)
3 Michael 2018 919 mbar (hPa)
4 Katrina 2005 920 mbar (hPa)
Maria 2017
6 Andrew 1992 922 mbar (hPa)
7 "Indianola" 1886 925 mbar (hPa)
8 "Guam" 1900 926 mbar (hPa)
9 "Florida Keys" 1919 927 mbar (hPa)
10 "Okeechobee" 1928 929 mbar (hPa)
Source: HURDAT, [2]   Hurricane   Research Division [3]

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
1.1  Nowhere Man  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    6 years ago

Was watching the track on the news, it went about twice as far inland at hurricane force than most normal hurricanes do... a very very powerful storm...

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1.1  Ender  replied to  Nowhere Man @1.1    6 years ago

That is scary. It kept up its force farther inland than they usually do.

Ender
Professor Principal
2  Ender    6 years ago

I have been through this kind of destruction first hand. It takes a long time to recover.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
4  arkpdx    6 years ago

Katrina killed 1833. 

Tell me, punk

Ooowww!  Pretty tough talk over the inter net .Do I get scared now or wait a bit? 

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
4.1  lennylynx  replied to  arkpdx @4    6 years ago

Well, what you would do if you had any integrity, is admit your mistake.  Katrina was cat 5, period.  I never realized there was a right wing lie out there that Katrina was cat 3; it's impossible to keep track of all of them though...

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Ender  replied to  lennylynx @4.1    6 years ago

Actually Katrina was supposedly downgraded before it hit land. Little comfort for those of us in the path.

There are a lot of misconceptions about that hurricane, including where it hit.

New Orleans did not even get the brunt of it. The levees just could not hold the water back.

We had a 30 ft storm surge. Houses that stood for hundreds of years were wiped out.