╌>

Movin' on down the road

Category:  News & Politics

By:  kavika  •  6 years ago  •  139 comments

Movin' on down the road

Howdy folks, 

Some of you may have noticed that I've been MIA  the last month or so with an occasional drive by comment of great depth. Some of you probably haven't noticed or don't give a shit. 

Anyway another adventure in a life of adventures took place. At 78 years old (some say 178 years old) once again a major life changing event took place. Red, Wiki, the spirit of Annie and this old Indian pulled up stakes and moved on down the road. That's right, the Big Wooden Tipi no longer belongs to us. In a stroke of business genius I sold the Big Wooden Tipi to some chimook for $half a million cash. Ha, and you thought that Manhattan and $24 dollars was a big deal. 

It was getting to be that magic time for me, seven years in one place and the spirit of Crazy Horse takes over and it's time to move on to new frontiers. I told Red one morning a few months back that the Spirit of Crazy Horse was once again taking over. She replied, as she always does with, it has nothing to do with Crazy Horse or his Spirit, it's because your nuts. That's one of the reasons that I'm so in love with Red, she has a unique way with words. 

So after the initial discussion, some would call it a battle royal, we put the Big Wooden Tipi on the market. Along wanders a couple with more money then sense and plunked down half a mil for the Tipi. It was an offer that I couldn't refuse, nor would it make any sense to refuse it. 

Meanwhile Red was asking where are we going to move to. A good question and one that I had a great answer for. FLORIDA, the Sunshine State, God's Waiting Room, Israel South, the land of the Seminole. Red, being born and raised in NY should really be happy, there are more transplanted New Yorker's in Florida then anywhere in the world. Do I know how to pick'em and make her happy for what. Red reminded me that she left New York decades ago and had no desire to return. Ha, she was only hiding her joy at my magnificent decision and business acumen. 

Now, where in the Sunshine state should we grace with our presence. Not being interested in running from hurricanes at 80 years of age, we decided on horse country. Being Indian this was a no brainer. So Ocala here we come. Horse farms and horse shoes, what could be better. The smell of horse shit waffles through the air like a night blooming lilac. A great reminder of my years growing up and riding morning, noon and night. 

We found the neighborhood and the house that we wanted. Made an offer and using my great negotiating skills secured a great home or as we like to call it, The Tipi and it faces east which is a requirement for me. 

Once in the hood there seemed to be a whole lot of white folks and not any folks that might be red, yellow, brown or black. Soooo, as always I shouted out, ''Hey, any bloods out there"...My call was answered by some folks that said their there great great grandma was Cherokee...LOL what the hell this was going to be a great hood to be living it. The moving van showed up, seven days late, and the move in began. Our new neighbors, which we hadn't met yet came over and said. We'll take care of Wiki while the movers are moving you in. I was suspicious of them right off the bat. There are a lot of dog nappers around you know. But Red said OK and off Wiki went. 

Hours and hours later we were moved in. Now the next month of unpacking began. Red wouldn't follow my sage advice of selling the damn furniture and moving with only the clothes on our back. No, we dragged tons of furniture with us. (very un Indian like). 

Then our neighbors which we hadn't met yet came back with Wiki in tow. And Wiki was a happy as a clam at high tide. She got a ride in their golf cart, had the run of their house and was fawned over by the couple. Our adventure was off to a great start. 

I soon discovered that auto insurance was a lot more expensive here than in the Ozarks, especially for Rezmobiles. But, all and all it seems like a great place. Just down the road is ''Shalom Park''....I've started a petition to change the name to ''Wanakiwin Park'' there by pissing off all my Jewish neighbors. Once they discovered that we were all part of the ''Lost Tribe'' things settled down and we were having kosher Winnebagles together. (Enoch was here in spirit along with Crazy Horse.)

I joined the Veterans Club here at Stone Creek. I was asked what war I was in. Geez, sometime white folks just don't get it. The Indian Wars of course. I was told by our Veterans Club leader that I'm the only surviving Indian War vet that they have. I was awarded a special place of honor. 

That my friend has been my last month. It looks like it's going to be fun living here. 

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Kavika
Professor Principal
1  author  Kavika     6 years ago

The new adventure begins.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Kavika @1    6 years ago

Smooth travels and good fortune on your new adventure Sir!

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1.1  author  Kavika   replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.1    6 years ago

Thanks doc, 

Good seeing you again.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2  devangelical  replied to  Kavika @1    6 years ago

Cool. No more winters for you. Enjoy your popularity as being the only native American around, since pale faces aren't too afraid of dehorsed single natives. Unfortunately you'll get to meet lots of them that will make it a point claiming to have past native linage. Just ask them where they keep their horses and if their wives are Irish. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.2.1  author  Kavika   replied to  devangelical @1.2    6 years ago
Just ask them where they keep their horses and if their wives are Irish. 

LOL, I'll be sure to ask.

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
1.3  Jack_TX  replied to  Kavika @1    6 years ago

Good luck to you.  

May the road rise up to meet you, and all that other good stuff.

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.3.1  author  Kavika   replied to  Jack_TX @1.3    6 years ago

Thanks Jack.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika @1    6 years ago

Well, shoot! I was going to come visit you up there in the Ozarks since you weren't that far away.

But glad you got away from the cold and got some place where every body will spoil Wiki. That dog just wasn;t getting enough spoiling, I could tell.

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.4.1  author  Kavika   replied to  Trout Giggles @1.4    6 years ago

Come down to Ocala, the door is always open Trout. 

Poor poor Wiki, she has a ruff life...LOLOL NOT

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.4.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika @1.4.1    6 years ago

I just back from fishing on the Norfork River. Did pretty good. Pulled in a 1.5 pound rainbow

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.4.3  author  Kavika   replied to  Trout Giggles @1.4.2    6 years ago

Good catch, Trout....Wait, did you catch yourself or Mr. Giggles.jrSmiley_2_smiley_image.png

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.4.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika @1.4.3    6 years ago

LOL!

shona1
PhD Quiet
2  shona1    6 years ago

Evening Kavika..I noticed you had been amoung the missing but thought you may have a lot on your plate at the moment..Certainly sounds like you do...Good on ya for the move..A change of scenery as they say is as good as a holiday....Florida...gulp...hope you are inland and away from cyclones...Sounds like you did well selling your house and congrats..Hope you like where you are and settle in with no probs...Better watch out for the gators...unfortunately a lady was taken up the NT the other day by one of our croc's in front of her family...So tread carefully and enjoy...

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1  author  Kavika   replied to  shona1 @2    6 years ago

Hi Shona, 

I'm inland in north central Florida. Well away from the coast. 

Being used to the Salt Water Croc's in Aussie, I'm pretty light footed around them...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3  Buzz of the Orient    6 years ago

Hey Kavika, it took me a few minutes to be able to type because I was laughing so hard at the Indian Wars vet thing. It's a good thing you saved that for the end of the story or I never would have been able to finish reading it - it's hard to read when you're hysterically rolling on the floor.  Judging from the neighbourhood as you describe it, you might have to give up fry bread and settle on Winnebagels with cream cheese and lox.  Or else you will have to introduce the matzoh crowd to fry bread.  Now that you're there you better learn to play pinochle and shuffleboard.  But most important, watch out for the alligators - and warn Wiki about that. 

I'm going to miss being able to sit on the deck and watch the sunsets over Table Lake.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3    6 years ago

Now that I think of it, your neighbours could be even older than you, so both bagels and fry bread may not be chewable, but donuts should be okay. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.2  author  Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3    6 years ago

I've already petitioned the federal government for official status as a the Mazo/Fry band of Ojibjew Indians, Buzz. 

Being the last survivor of the Indian wars gives me special status...I'm the real Jack Crab...LOL

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.2.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika @3.2    6 years ago

Just thought of it.  Hope the purchaser of the wooden Tipi doesn't mind having an Armadillo guest.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.2.2  author  Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.2.1    6 years ago

Amos and Rocky the groundhog stayed with the house. It was part of the deal Buzz.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.2.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika @3.2.2    6 years ago

By the way, Kavika, taking into consideration where you moved to maybe you should be using my avatar in order to fit in better with your neighbours.  What is the thing about "The Tribe"?

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.2.4  author  Kavika   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.2.3    6 years ago

Well Buzz, after being lost in the desert for 40 years, it may be a good idea.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.2.5  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kavika @3.2.4    6 years ago

Well, if I've been adopted as an Ojibwe, there's no reason you can't be adopted as a Jew.  Are you prepared for the "bris"?

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
3.2.6  dave-2693993  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.2.5    6 years ago

Ouch!!!

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.2.7  devangelical  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.2.3    6 years ago

I always assumed your avatar was a visual pun based upon your previous profession.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.2.8  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  devangelical @3.2.7    6 years ago

???  I'm not quite sure what you mean.  If you're aware of the fact that I had some famous Indian clients, such as the renowned Woodland Artist the late Norval Morrisseau, or Duke Redbird, etc. then you could be right.  Or that I often volunteered to serve at the Toronto Native Men's Residence, or had some famous Indian friends, such as filmmaker Alanis Obomsawin, or have developed a brotherly friendship with Kavika, then perhaps you are right. 

However, that's not why I adopted that avatar, and I did not do so until both Kavika and Raven Wing urged me to do so after I sought their permission.  It was because they and I have in common that the lands of our ancestors have been usurped by others who feel they have more right to those lands than we do.  In the case of the Native Indians they have been confined to a much lesser part of their lands than they originally occupied and were entitled to, and in the case of Israel, British betrayal and UN Partition confined the Jews to a much lesser portion than those who did not exist until much later.  Even Arafat was an Egyptian.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
3.3  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3    6 years ago

Yeah, Kav, was that the Battle of Wounded Back?

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
3.3.1  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @3.3    6 years ago

Welcome back, watch out for them gators down there, they like little war dogs like Wiki, they invite them to lunch all the time.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.3.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @3.3    6 years ago

I think you misdirected your comment.  I never took part in the "Indian Wars".  Don't let my avatar fool you. LOL

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.3.3  author  Kavika   replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @3.3    6 years ago

Nope, it was the battle of bent butt. jrSmiley_4_smiley_image.png

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
3.3.4  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.3.2    6 years ago

Oops sorry. jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
3.3.5  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Kavika @3.3.3    6 years ago

I remember that battle.

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
5  Robert in Ohio    6 years ago

All the best old friend - I look forward to hearing about the new adventures you have and the new people you meet and share your story telling and great personality with - I too was gone from NT for a while but I am trying again and urge you not to leave us but rather share your wisdom from a new location.

Later

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1  author  Kavika   replied to  Robert in Ohio @5    6 years ago

Hi RIO, 

I'll be around spreading tales of the wilds of Florida..LOL...

Good to see you and hope to see you often on NT.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
7  1stwarrior    6 years ago

Kavika - you have been and are missed - tremendously.

Used to live in Palm Bay/Melbourne and, if Audra has her way (which she will), we'll be back down there after I figure out how to handle the property/auto taxes/fees on my Fed and SS retirements.

Ocala is a great place to be and, yes, there are plenty of Natives down there - they just don't shout it out like many do elsewhere - and, yeah, you'll be finding many "My great-grand ma was" folks.

Golfing heaven - wow.  Fishing heaven - wow - beautiful sunsets/sunrises - wow.  BUT you better remember how to breath underwater 'cause the damn 70% consistent humidity is gonna blow yer sinuses out.

Stay in touch please.

Kavika
Professor Principal
7.1  author  Kavika   replied to  1stwarrior @7    6 years ago

Hi 1st, 

The fishing is great. We have a small bass lake right in the complex...What could be better and the sunsets for the last couple of nights have been great.

Actually I'm able to breath better here then in Missouri. I'm not affected by the allergies here as I was in Missouri. 

Will stay in touch and the same goes for you.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
7.1.1  1stwarrior  replied to  Kavika @7.1    6 years ago

Always

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
8  lennylynx    6 years ago

Florida gives away carry permits to mentally unstable half wits who are on medication for their mood swings.  Something to keep in mind!  

Kavika
Professor Principal
8.1  author  Kavika   replied to  lennylynx @8    6 years ago

Hi Lenny, 

The state I was living in you didn't need any permit to carry, so Florida is an upgrade...LOL

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
8.1.1  lennylynx  replied to  Kavika @8.1    6 years ago

Good point buddy, but there are a lot more mentally unstable halfwits in Florida!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
9  JohnRussell    6 years ago

Great account of your journey Kavika. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
9.1  author  Kavika   replied to  JohnRussell @9    6 years ago

Thanks JR...Another adventure in the making.

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
10  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu     6 years ago

Humidity or not Florida is beautiful ! 

I also lived in Melbourne (right off of Sarno rd and Wickham Rd for 17 years) I also loved it there, except for one thing... Hurricanes. 

In those 17 years we had probably 10 hurricanes that were headed for us. Most of course turned well before getting to us, but once you've been thru even one that is fairly strong you certainly understand they are nothing to screw around with  so I ended up evacuating whenever there was a chance we'd be hit with anything higher than a cat 2. That was not only a pain in the butt but costly. 

That area also has not been hit by a major hurricane for decades at least and hard telling WTF would be left if and when they do have a major one hit there. I'd predict devastation. 

The real problem for me and Florida was I didn't want to end up like the folks we are seeing there now. Sitting on a pile of rubble, Homeless, jobless and screwed !

10 years later and some friends are still wanting me to return. LOL... NO thanks.

Loved Florida but to me the hurricanes made it no longer the paradise that to me it once was. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
10.1  author  Kavika   replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @10    6 years ago

One of the reasons, the main reason in fact not to live on the coast was the hurricanes. We're inland so less of a chance of that happening, steve. 

Sophomore Guide
10.1.1  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Kavika @10.1    6 years ago
less of a chance

yes, I totally understand that, But for me if I was to live in "Paradise", that was near the ocean.

I specifically chose Melbourne from over 1300 miles away to move there because of the location, I spent a week there to find out if it was for me then moved there, south enough to be a true Florida and north enough to have room to grow and not be into the swamp. Unfortunately hurricanes didn't enter in the picture for me at that time. 

When I was done with them though, I was DONE. No moving inland I was out of there completely, for good ! I had had enough. Too many too close calls !!! 

Its so beautiful there, enjoy it and now ya'll have one less of you to be in the way. me.

Studiusbagus
Sophomore Quiet
11  Studiusbagus    6 years ago

Hey Kav, or Howdy Neighbor!

I knew where ya were as I twisted an arm asking.

Ocala is going to be really convenient for you and of course those wide open horse pastures.

I'm still a few hours south of you...well, more like 5 hours.

A few "newbie" things...You're moving here at about one of the best times of the year...which is to say next summer is probably going to be miserable for you.

Next...you are in Republican territory, the southern fringe.

And screw all that "so close to Disney" crap...you are living next door to the Ocala National Forest. You have your pick of relaxing in some of the most beautiful cold water springs you could ever see, or swim in without gator concerns (too cold for them).

The small towns around you are the finest examples of historic Florida. 

Exploring around you will take up some wonderful adventures. Then of course there's the typical Tourism destinations of which you can find "Florida Resident" deals most of the time.

As you are in "Horse country" I am in "Beef country"  in Okeechobee. (Look at the big lake, I'm at the very top of the lake) 

I-75 is a great road to go ...

If you need anything just call. Perrie and a couple other mutuals have my number.

Kavika
Professor Principal
11.1  author  Kavika   replied to  Studiusbagus @11    6 years ago

Howdy Studiusbagus, 

I've spent a fair amount of time in Florida, summer and winter. We had operation in Jacksonville and Miami. 

I've been checking out the Ocala National Forest and the surrounding areas. They look really great and well worth spending time in. 

I've seen all of Disney World that i ever want to see or hear again. LOL, no worries my time will be in the forest. 

I've been fishing a couple of times in Lake Okeechobee, great bass fishing. 

Studiusbagus
Sophomore Quiet
11.1.1  Studiusbagus  replied to  Kavika @11.1    6 years ago

You have it made then. 

Don't forget to look southeast when they launch rockets. Pretty amazing sight from almost anywhere in the peninsula.

I lived for years and years in Tampa but moved to this little city and fell in love. It's that whole Mayberry/squash queen parade thingy that just takes over. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
11.1.2  author  Kavika   replied to  Studiusbagus @11.1.1    6 years ago

I'm really looking forward to seeing the launching of rockets. 

What I like about Ocala is that it's still in many ways a small town and in the country. Just down the street from us is the DD Horse ranch. A beautiful sight for sure. 

Sophomore Guide
11.1.3  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Kavika @11.1.2    6 years ago
I'm really looking forward to seeing the launching of rockets. 

Yep You are in a prime location for watching the rockets launching. I used to watch on TV till they lifted off then walk outside and watch them till they were a just a spec then go back in and watch it even further going up on the Tv again. It really made ya feel more a part of history, feeling the rumble and the power at takeoff is cool as well. A few times I was surprised by the sound and feeling, but instantly I knew what it was I was hearing and feeling and I'd run outside so as not to miss it. LOL I watched I dont know how many shuttle launches, every time it was something to see, Enjoy Florida I know I did for many years. 

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
12  dave-2693993    6 years ago

Kavika,

Good to see you back. Hope the new scenery is is working out for you and the family.

Did the boat follow you to Florida?

Sophomore Guide
12.1  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  dave-2693993 @12    6 years ago
Did the boat follow you to Florida?

LOL.. That must be a really nice boat if he did drag it from clear from Missouri to Fl. cause from what I remember Florida is littered with boats as far as the eye can see !

I had my one and ONLY boat in Fl. 

Like they say at least two great days of boating is assured for boat owners, I found that to be true... The day I bought it and the day I sold it !!!

lol

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
12.1.1  dave-2693993  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @12.1    6 years ago
Like they say at least two great days of boating is assured for boat owners, I found that to be true... The day I bought it and the day I sold it !!!

LOL, I've heard that same story.

Sophomore Guide
12.1.2  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  dave-2693993 @12.1.1    6 years ago
LOL, I've heard that same story.

Truth reins supreme...lol 

Unfortunately. the boat I bought always seemed to need to be worked on everytime I took it out. So I quickly found the second truth about boats, They are a hole in the water you throw money into.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
12.1.4  dave-2693993  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @12.1.2    6 years ago

hahaha, Have you tried race cars? They are a similar hobby.

Sophomore Guide
12.1.5  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  dave-2693993 @12.1.4    6 years ago
Have you tried race cars? They are a similar hobby.

LOL.. I seriously doubt any real race car cost as little as that crappy boat I poured money into.

I have had some really nice used sports cars, Loved em. These days I have a chevy sporty pickup that's not bad. It drives somewhat like my camaros did, in fact I did race a Iroc with it not long ago and took it. 

Maybe the last race I ever allow myself to do though. I screwed up. Responsible people dont drag race on city streets. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
12.2  author  Kavika   replied to  dave-2693993 @12    6 years ago

Hi dave, the boat did not follow me to Florida....I'm done with boats and will rent if I want to go on the water. 

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
12.2.1  dave-2693993  replied to  Kavika @12.2    6 years ago

I don't blame you. Maybe you saw the discussion between Steve and me.

Ohhh, question?

Does this move have an impact on the possible visit to the pre Clovis dig site near Austin this year?

Kavika
Professor Principal
12.2.2  author  Kavika   replied to  dave-2693993 @12.2.1    6 years ago

It may delay the visit but not cancel it, dave.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
12.2.3  dave-2693993  replied to  Kavika @12.2.2    6 years ago

That would be great if you can make it.

I am looking forward to a first hand account and photos. Those glyphs on that rock/wall are fascinating. I am curious if any of the folks working there on site have begun trying to come to terms with the interpretation of them?

devangelical
Professor Principal
12.2.4  devangelical  replied to  Kavika @12.2    6 years ago

When I was going thru my divorce, my 90 something granny gave me some valuable advice. She told me if it floats, flies, or fucks, you're better off renting. Once I collected my jaw off the floor, I've tried to follow that advice.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
12.2.5  arkpdx  replied to  devangelical @12.2.4    6 years ago

Granny sounds like one smart woman .

Dulay
Professor Expert
13  Dulay    6 years ago

There must be something in the air. A couple of my friends just retired, sold their home in Palatine, IL, and moved to the Villages, FL, right down the road from your new Res. In fact, they arrived the day before Michael hit. I already have an invite to stay with them. I may go down there to help with a kitchen remodel they want to do. I have old friends in Ft. Lauderdale but rather than party I want to FISH!

Kavika
Professor Principal
13.1  author  Kavika   replied to  Dulay @13    6 years ago

You can stop by Ocala and we'll do some fishing. I'm kind of a bass tournament fisherman, Dulay.

Dulay
Professor Expert
13.1.1  Dulay  replied to  Kavika @13.1    6 years ago

I'm kind of a sit on my ass and drink beer fisherman. I prefer trout but not great at fly fishing. Salmon during the run in out Lake Michigan tributaries and crappy in our chain of lakes is about my speed now. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
13.1.2  author  Kavika   replied to  Dulay @13.1.1    6 years ago

Crappy is, IMO, one of the best eating fish there is. Of course salmon aren't bad, especially the Copper River Salmon.

I have an easy chair that you can fish from. I call it the Laz E Brave.

Dulay
Professor Expert
13.1.3  Dulay  replied to  Kavika @13.1.2    6 years ago

I'm a trout lover but living in Northern Indiana limits me and our lakes are full of nice size crappy. Went to Wisconsin in August and caught 8 in one day. One was bigger than my hand. Yum. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
13.1.4  author  Kavika   replied to  Dulay @13.1.3    6 years ago

This is a 7 lb plus native rainbow that I caught in the upper Klamath River in CA just south of the Oregon border. 

Took a couple of photos, measurements and returned it to the water and had a replica made. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
13.1.5  Dulay  replied to  Kavika @13.1.4    6 years ago

Wow, epic. Never been that far north. Used to fish the Tuolumne and the American. Caught a 18" brown out to the Tuolumne. Didn't have a scale. I put mine back too, though I took home 30 12-14" rainbow and browns and we all [party of 6] ate trout for breakfast and dinner every day while camping. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
13.1.6  author  Kavika   replied to  Dulay @13.1.5    6 years ago

With Rainbow I wrap them in tinfoil and mix in lemon slices, tomato, a bit of rice, and any other spice you want. Put them on the BBQ for 3 minutes on each side and you have one heck of a good meal.

I've fished the American River a number of times but not the Tuloumne. 

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
15  Colour Me Free    6 years ago

Congratulations on the major change and the willingness to embrace a new adventure in life .. here's to the journey.. and here's to having an amazing life partner  : )

Kavika
Professor Principal
15.1  author  Kavika   replied to  Colour Me Free @15    6 years ago

Thanks Colour. 

Nona62
Professor Silent
16  Nona62    6 years ago

WOW Prez,

It sounds as though  you folks have been through a Hurricane !!   (no pun intended ) May all of you have many years of happiness in your new Tee Pee !!

Kavika
Professor Principal
16.1  author  Kavika   replied to  Nona62 @16    6 years ago

Thanks Nona, good to see you again.

Nona62
Professor Silent
16.1.1  Nona62  replied to  Kavika @16.1    6 years ago

Thanks  Chief !!    I'll try to briefly  fill you in on what has been going on in my world.   Prince Reid is now 3 1/2 !!!    Mr. Nona and I celebrated our 50 th  Anniversary! I don't know how that ever happened.  We're going to go to either Italy or Ireland.  We're leaning a little bit more towards Italy.

Kavika
Professor Principal
16.1.2  author  Kavika   replied to  Nona62 @16.1.1    6 years ago

Congratulations on 50 years. Italy is the place to go Nona, IMO. 

Say ''Hi'' to the Prince for me.

Nona62
Professor Silent
16.1.3  Nona62  replied to  Kavika @16.1.2    6 years ago

Thanks Prez. I will definitely tell the Whirling Dervish you said Hi...!  When you have an Open-Tee Pee, I will bring the Frizza!    :-)

Kavika
Professor Principal
16.1.4  author  Kavika   replied to  Nona62 @16.1.3    6 years ago

That's a deal Nona, I'm looking forward to the Frizza.

Nona62
Professor Silent
16.1.5  Nona62  replied to  Kavika @16.1.4    6 years ago

No problem Chief... Every celebration deserves some Frizza .

Uptownchick
Junior Silent
16.1.6  Uptownchick  replied to  Nona62 @16.1.5    6 years ago

Coffee...coffee...kona coffee! I'll bring the coffee...you know you can count on me for that Kav!

Kavika
Professor Principal
16.1.7  author  Kavika   replied to  Uptownchick @16.1.6    6 years ago

I know that I can and you always have the bestest Kona Koffee.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
17  MrFrost    6 years ago

Excellent article! Congrats on your new home. Can we expect some pictures? Just curious.

Kavika
Professor Principal
17.1  author  Kavika   replied to  MrFrost @17    6 years ago

When we are finished unpacking I'll post some photo MrFrost. At the rate we're unpacking that could be awhile. LOL

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
17.1.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Kavika @17.1    6 years ago
At the rate we're unpacking that could be awhile.

The only thing worse than packing is unpacking.

Ender
Professor Principal
18  Ender    6 years ago

Congrats on the new digs.

I have been to Ocala before, sadly didn't see much other than the auto auctions.

Kavika
Professor Principal
18.1  author  Kavika   replied to  Ender @18    6 years ago

I've heard that they have quite a few auto auctions here Ender. 

Next time your this way, let me know we can see things other than auctions. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
19  sandy-2021492    6 years ago

I hope you enjoy your new home, and I'm glad Wiki has already made some new friends.

Kavika
Professor Principal
19.1  author  Kavika   replied to  sandy-2021492 @19    6 years ago

Thanks Sandy. Wiki is the hit of the neighborhood...LOL...

TTGA
Professor Silent
20  TTGA    6 years ago

Great to see you back Kav.  Been absent quite a bit myself for the last month or two.  Usually able to duck in for a couple of minutes and then off again.  Things have been a little busy around here.  Not to the level of moving, though.  As Ben Franklin once said, "Two removes equals one fire".

Kavika
Professor Principal
20.1  author  Kavika   replied to  TTGA @20    6 years ago
"Two removes equals one fire".

I have to agree with that TTGA. 

Good to see you again as well.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
21  pat wilson    6 years ago

Glad you're back. I had a feeling your absence had to do with your move as we had chatted briefly a few months back. Hope you're all settled in now.

Kavika
Professor Principal
21.1  author  Kavika   replied to  pat wilson @21    6 years ago

Hi pat...It may be a while be we are settled in...The unpacking is not fun but the end is in sight.

Uptownchick
Junior Silent
22  Uptownchick    6 years ago

a4bd61b3c3ce68cc12783fa691934bee4db00adedbd62111e354b24e975673ad_1.jpg

LOL...I certainly hope this isn't from your new or old hometown! 

Awesome news Kavika! Very happy for you, Red & Wiki and looking forward to all the new adventure stories!

Kavika
Professor Principal
22.1  author  Kavika   replied to  Uptownchick @22    6 years ago

LMAO, that is just too funny Uppy..Great find. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
23  Raven Wing    6 years ago

There you are!!!  Good to see back with us again! 

What a great moving story (pun intended...hee hee). What the heck, hurricanes are just Mother Earth blowing off a little steam at all the crazy humans that keep denying climate change is a hoax. (grin)

Glad that the move went OK, and you have new surroundings to share with us. And....you have a few 'Bloods' in the new 'hood to hang out with. It was great that the new neighbors were willing to take Wiki for a while and spoil her a bit while you and Red labored in getting things settled before her triumphant return.

I traveled through Ocala a couple of times in my trips to Florida and it really looks like a great place to live. I hope all goes well in your new home and you and Red, Wiki and Annie's Spirit all find happiness and good health in your new digs. 

Many Blessing on your new Tipi. Now.....play time is over...... (smile) 

Kavika
Professor Principal
23.1  author  Kavika   replied to  Raven Wing @23    6 years ago

Howdy RW, 

A new adventure begins. The new house is great, not as big as the Big Wooden Tipi, but it's the Medium Wooden Tipi. Wiki is having a ball since there are a number of dogs in the hood and also a dog park for her to run amuck in. 

We'll be unpacking for the next 100 years. LOL 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
23.1.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Kavika @23.1    6 years ago
We'll be unpacking for the next 100 years. LOL 

Yeah....while packing is a PITA, the unpacking is an endless round of 'Disgo'........"Disgo here, disgo there....no no no....it can't go there, try over here."  After a few tries, Feng Shui goes out the window and the 'Disgo' turns into 'Disfits'. (grin)

btw....what happened to Amos and Tex? 

Kavika
Professor Principal
23.1.2  author  Kavika   replied to  Raven Wing @23.1.1    6 years ago

''Disgo''  LOL, too funny. 

Amos, Rocky and Tex stayed behind in Missouri...It's there home and being semi wild critters it was best to leave them where they are happy.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
24  Perrie Halpern R.A.    6 years ago

Well, well, well, the prodigal Indian returns. 

Glad to know you are in one piece and that everyone is happy in their new digs. 

Btw.. Wiki told Wally he likes your neighbors better than you, but doesn't know how to tell you. 

That's all I've got other than we missed you! 

Kavika
Professor Principal
25  author  Kavika     6 years ago
Btw.. Wiki told Wally he likes your neighbors better than you, but doesn't know how to tell you. 

Wiki is being a putz..LOL...

Good to be back. Where else can one raise or lower their IQ on a moments notice....jrSmiley_4_smiley_image.png

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
25.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Kavika @25    6 years ago
Wiki is being a putz..LOL...

Maybe you should get a golf cart.  I kinda thought they handed them out at the state line for new residents.

Kavika
Professor Principal
25.1.1  author  Kavika   replied to  sandy-2021492 @25.1    6 years ago

Our neighbor took Wiki for a ride in their golf cart and she is hooked and want's her own golf cart...

I think that I'll be getting one just to run around the complex. It's quite large it's 2 miles from my house to the club house. 

Sophomore Guide
25.1.2  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Kavika @25.1.1    6 years ago
Wiki  want's her own golf cart...

Now Wiki seems more like maybe a ATV enthusiast more suited to perhaps something more like this: 

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
25.1.3  arkpdx  replied to  Kavika @25.1.1    6 years ago

is Wiki you avatar dog? Looks like a senior weinie dog so of course you need a cart to take him or her to the cubhuse . Looks like a nice lovable dog but the I think every dog is nice and loveable until they try to eat me. 

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
25.1.4  arkpdx  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @25.1.2    6 years ago

Isn'tWiki you avatar dog? Looks like a senior weinie dog so of course you need a cart to take  her to the clubhouse. I am sure  that she would prefer one of these for her persona use . I know my Waldo  and Molly  would

Looks like a nice lovable dog but the I think every dog is nice and loveable until they try to eat me. 

Sophomore Guide
25.1.5  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  arkpdx @25.1.3    6 years ago
Looks like a nice lovable dog but

looks can be deceiving, From the stories Wiki  is a huge dog thats actually trapped in a small package. 

Maybe even the gators better Look  out !

lol

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
25.1.6  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @25.1.5    6 years ago
looks can be deceiving, From the stories Wiki  is a huge dog thats actually trapped in a small package.  Maybe even the gators better Look  out !

I recall a photo of Wiki that Kav posted a while back, I think I still have a copy of it.

Kavika
Professor Principal
25.1.7  author  Kavika   replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @25.1.2    6 years ago

She saw that ATV and was asking where I hid her credit card...LOL...

Kavika
Professor Principal
25.1.8  author  Kavika   replied to  arkpdx @25.1.4    6 years ago

Wiki is 11 years old and still thinks she is a puppy and she does run with the big dogs at the dog park. 

Badger Hunters never back down...LOL

Kavika
Professor Principal
25.1.9  author  Kavika   replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @25.1.6    6 years ago

Ha, that's by girl, running down a rino....Just a typical day for the the Warrior Wonder Wiener.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
25.1.10  arkpdx  replied to  Kavika @25.1.8    6 years ago

My Waldo is about 12 and when I take him to the park he does his business than finds a nice spot to lay down and sleep. Occasionally he will angrily  bark at the puppies to stay off his grass .

Waldo is a Bassett and I call him my kielbasa dog! 

Kavika
Professor Principal
25.1.11  author  Kavika   replied to  arkpdx @25.1.10    6 years ago
Waldo is a Bassett and I call him my kielbasa dog! 

LOL, too funny

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
25.1.13  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  arkpdx @25.1.10    6 years ago

I used to dog walk a bassett when I was a kid. Her name was Tippy. I loved her to bits. She was just the sweetest and adorable pup I used to walk. I would go over to play with her just because I liked her.

Kavika
Professor Principal
26  author  Kavika     6 years ago

Photo taken 5 minutes ago from my back patio of the sun setting through the Florida pines. 

Sophomore Guide
26.1  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Kavika @26    6 years ago
from my back patio of the sun setting through the Florida pines. 

Don’t look now but I think someone may have stolen your retention pond. Now ya got no home for your resident alligator so watch your swimming pool.

Lol  

Kavika
Professor Principal
26.1.1  author  Kavika   replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @26.1    6 years ago

No pool, no gators with the Warrior Wonder Wiener around...

She is a ''Bad Dog''.

Sophomore Guide
26.1.2  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Kavika @26.1.1    6 years ago
no gators with the Warrior Wonder Wiener around

LOL... I understand rhinos are certainly big bad asses themselfs. 

But. as a word of warning from someone who had dogs around gators myself, Gators are stealthy. Very stealthy !! Then they turn that stealthiness into instant death for many many dogs in Fl. 

I used to go out to Lake Washington in Melbourne regularly, one day my dog was playing in the shallows and I saw a 7 ft gator headed straight for her, She didn't see the gator. as it closed in for the kill I was able to get her to come to me, getting her out of the lake shortly before she was toast. She never knew it was there !

Gators and hurricanes are nothin to fuck with for man nor beast. 

Enjoy Florida it is beautiful  !!!

Enoch
Masters Quiet
27  Enoch    6 years ago

Dear Brother, Friend and Treasured Writing Partner Kavika:  Mrs. E. and I wish you and yours every good thing that can come from your transition to the Sunshine State.

It show be warmer there than the Show Me State. It is close to the sun after all.

Should we ever get to meet in person, I don't know what we will do about Franken Fishing.

Florida, after all is not close to any waters were we can get out of a boat with a rod and reel.

Snow boarding maybe?

Peace, Abundant Blessings and Fresh Frozen Orange Juice from Upstate NY with Breakfasts.

Enoch. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
27.1  author  Kavika   replied to  Enoch @27    6 years ago

Niijii, we can become ''swamp creatures'', dwellers of the deep so to speak. 

Gators hunters of the first degree. 

The critters await us.

Studiusbagus
Sophomore Quiet
27.1.1  Studiusbagus  replied to  Kavika @27.1    6 years ago

Can see it now, two old geezers with lantern geeking frogs.

Kavika
Professor Principal
27.1.2  author  Kavika   replied to  Studiusbagus @27.1.1    6 years ago

LOL, I think that you meant gigging frogs....

Either way, what a sight.

Kavika
Professor Principal
27.1.4  author  Kavika   replied to  Release The Kraken @27.1.3    6 years ago

Natives have some amazing skills....The Frog is an important part of our culture and signifies cleansing of the spirit.

Tex Stankley
Freshman Silent
28  Tex Stankley    6 years ago

Good luck to y'all.   I liked Flarda a lot better back in the '70s.   I do my best to avoid the state but have kin down there so.....

I hope to tell you though, y'all chose a fine spot.   A quite exquisitely beautiful, if flatter than a pancake, spot in which to hunker down.   Micanopy is a cool little burg.   Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings old homeplace is up the road from you.   Worth a persuse.  Gainesville can be a hoot.  We used to run the Silver river into Silver Springs back in the day.  Lots of hamburger stealing monkeys left over from some Tarzan shoot ages ago down the river.   Maybe the crackers shot em all by  now.   Go take em a burger and see.

Good springs are plentiful and beautiful and cold and clear.  Oh, one my hand full of favorite rivers is next to you.  The Ichetucknee.   Ichetucknee springs park used to be cool as well.  

That neck o the woods is still pretty close to being Florida.    I generally say anything below The Swamp ain't Flarda any more but it pushes down to your neck o the woods as well.   Kinfolk of mine have a blueberry farm up near Micanopy.   They drug an old Cracker House out to the property and restored it.  

Anyhow,  I could rattle on forever.   Much of back woods Flarda from Gainesville on up to Tallahassee and Atlantic Beach I know well.   Or used to.  

Have fun.   Try not to melt.  Don't let the skeeters carry off small dogs and childrens.   Don't give LSD to the gators.  You are in Pit Viper Alley.  Watch yer dogs.  Don't be swimming in any sinks underwater,  I kid you not.  DEET is your best pard.  Don't get sucked into a sinkhole.  Arm up if you are going to Polk county.  Just sayin'. 

Read "Red Grass River" by James Carlos Blake.   Good novelized history of the prohibition outlaw family over in Stuart.  The Ashely fambly.  They were sort of local heroes.   Like Henry Berry Lowrie, the Lumbee Indian resistance fighter and outlaw up in the mountains of NC.

Take good care.  Best to you.  Eat you a mess of oysters and boiled peanuts!

Kavika
Professor Principal
28.1  author  Kavika   replied to  Tex Stankley @28    6 years ago

Thanks for all the information Tex, most appreciated.

Tex Stankley
Freshman Silent
28.1.1  Tex Stankley  replied to  Kavika @28.1    6 years ago

No problem.   Enjoy.    Sweet tea and shrimp and grits.  yes indeed.   Oh, watch out for skunk apes.   The local version of big foot.