╌>

Poll: Huge Majority Of Americans Believe “Political Correctness Is A Problem”…

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  badfish-hd-h-u  •  6 years ago  •  71 comments

Poll: Huge Majority Of Americans Believe “Political Correctness Is A Problem”…

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

80% of Americans are   not   woke.

Via   The Atlantic :

…Most members of the “exhausted majority,” and then some, dislike political correctness. Among the general population, a full 80 percent believe that “political correctness is a problem in our country.” Even young people are uncomfortable with it, including 74 percent ages 24 to 29, and 79 percent under age 24. On this particular issue, the woke are in a clear minority across all ages.

Youth isn’t a good proxy for support of political correctness—and it turns out race isn’t, either.

Whites are ever so slightly less likely than average to believe that political correctness is a problem in the country: 79 percent of them share this sentiment. Instead, it is Asians (82 percent), Hispanics (87percent), and American Indians (88 percent) who are most likely to oppose political correctness. As one 40-year-old American Indian in Oklahoma said in his focus group, according to the report:

It seems like everyday you wake up something has changed … Do you say Jew? Or Jewish? Is it a black guy? African-American? … You are on your toes because you never know what to say. So political correctness in that sense is scary.

The one part of the standard narrative that the data partially affirm is that African Americans are most likely to support political correctness. But the difference between them and other groups is much smaller than generally supposed: Three quarters of African Americans oppose political correctness. This means that they are only four percentage points less likely than whites, and only five percentage points less likely than the average, to believe that political correctness is a problem.

If age and race do not predict support for political correctness, what does? Income and education.

While 83 percent of respondents who make less than $50,000 dislike political correctness, just 70 percent of those who make more than $100,000 are skeptical about it. And while 87 percent who have never attended college think that political correctness has grown to be a problem, only 66 percent of those with a postgraduate degree share that sentiment.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  JohnRussell    6 years ago

Political correctness is a problem. It's just not the problem right wingers and their media make it out to be. They act as if complaints about Winston Churchill being a racist (so therefore he should not be honored in public discourse) is some earth shaking issue.  It is more on the level of trivia. 

THIS is an issue

White woman fired over video of her blocking Black man from his condo

In the latest of so many instances of white people calling the police on black people for existing, a white woman tried to block a Black man from entering hi…

The Daily Dot  · 3h

See more on Bing News

Something someone said about Winston Churchill is not. 

zuksam
Junior Silent
2.2  zuksam  replied to  JohnRussell @2    6 years ago
White woman fired over video of her blocking Black man from his condo

If there was a security door then it's every residents responsibility to make sure unknow people don't slip in when they unlock the door but if not she should have minded her own business.

96WS6
Junior Quiet
3  96WS6    6 years ago

If this sentiment spreads the Dems are screwed.   They will have to come up with a whole new campaign strategy.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
3.2  MrFrost  replied to  96WS6 @3    6 years ago
If this sentiment spreads the Dems are screwed. 

Wasn't the dems that cried about this photo...

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.2.1  It Is ME  replied to  MrFrost @3.2    6 years ago

The Majority of Americans don't "DO" ISIS.

Didn't you get the memo ?

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
4  The Magic 8 Ball    6 years ago
 Progressive activists are the only group that strongly backs political correctness: 

come on... seriously.. who claims to be shocked about that?

the infestation is exposed and now the progressive anarchists are running out of tools.

in case anyone forgot? 

the PC culture died nov 8th 2016

I never fell for the PC bullshit and never will.

dont like what I have to say?

not my problem.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
4.1  MrFrost  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @4    6 years ago
the PC culture died nov 8th 2016

"I think the media has been horribly unfair and mean to me!".

----Donald Trump

Non-PC is just fine, as long as you are PC to trump...

Trump is a womanizing whiny little bitch.. Sorry, just being non-PC. 

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
4.1.1  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  MrFrost @4.1    6 years ago
Trump is a womanizing whiny little bitch.. 

and... trump is also the guy who is crushing progressive / anarchist dreams since nov 8 2016

that womanizing whiny little bitch kicked the entire dnc's ass

question:

how fuked up does one have to be in order to lose to such a whiny little bitch like trump??

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
4.1.2  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @4.1.1    6 years ago
how fuked up does one have to be in order to lose to such a whiny little bitch like trump?

A question perhaps better asked of the republican party he took over.

Ever wonder exactly Why trump switched parties just before he ran for president ?

I have. 

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
4.1.3  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @4.1.2    6 years ago
Ever wonder exactly Why trump switched parties just before he ran for president ?

nah, no reason to wonder...

trump is an old school democrat like me who has watched the left become batschit crazy. why would he try to get their votes?  that would be kinda fukin stupid.  trying to get the left to support our country first? a bigger waste of time could not be found.

A question perhaps better asked of the republican party he took over.

yes... kicking the neocon's asses was fun as well.

globalists both left and right had a very bad day when trump won.

hint: I'm not gop and neither is my president. 

we took our country back. there will be no apologies.

but your right, it is interesting how old school democrats hijacked the gop... one for the books.

cheers :)

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
4.1.4  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @4.1.3    6 years ago
trump is an old school democrat like me who has watched the left become batschit crazy.

Soooo, you're an "old school Democrat" like this guy?

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
4.1.5  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @4.1.4    6 years ago

such childish games the progressives play...

so predictable as well.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
4.1.6  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @4.1.5    6 years ago
such childish games the progressives play... so predictable as well.

You haven't denied it yet.

cheers jrSmiley_2_smiley_image.png

MrFrost
Professor Expert
4.1.7  MrFrost  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @4.1.2    6 years ago

Sophomore Guide
4.1.8  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @4.1.3    6 years ago
trump is an old school democrat

True, trump was a disenchanted democrat who saw at the time the republican party was much more devided and therefore easier to conquer, the dems had the beast and she was their goddess. 

we took our country back.

Trump took our country , at this time he is doing what you want.

Good Luck America

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
4.1.9  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @4.1.6    6 years ago
You haven't denied it yet.

I don't have to deny every bs accusation that comes my way...

it is not like I am trying to be a supreme court justice or anything.... LOL

Cheers :)

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
4.1.10  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @4.1.8    6 years ago
at this time he is doing what you want.

seems to me I remember the far right worried about obama overthrowing the govt... LOL

I told them they were crazy also.... LOL

people who have that kind of fear only make me laugh.

if trump goes off the rails?  he will pay for that the same as if obama went off the rails... 

the tools are in place to take down a dictator wannabe regardless what party they come from... 

no worries :)

Sophomore Guide
4.1.11  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @4.1.10    6 years ago
the tools are in place to take down a dictator
Yes they are and have been for a very long time. As long as they remain intact they protect the nation. Any aspiring ”Dictator” would have many problems in obtaining sole power. A one party government first would be much more likely. I want neither.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
4.1.12  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @4.1.10    6 years ago
if trump goes off the rails?  he will pay for that the same as if obama went off the rails... 

the tools are in place to take down a dictator wannabe regardless what party they come from... 

no worries

Can that be assured if he has yes men in both Congress and, the courts? Right now the Republicans control Congress and, court appointments are being confirmed at a historic rate,

Judiciary Appointments
Trump is putting his mark on the federal courts faster than Obama was able to do in his first months.
Supreme Court — So far Trump has won Senate confirmation for one Supreme Court nominee, Justice Neil Gorsuch. Obama also was able to fill one high court vacancy during his first year, with Justice Sonia Sotomayor.
Court of Appeals — But as of Jan. 17, Trump also had won confirmation for 12 U.S. Court of Appeals judges — four times as many as Obama at the same point in his first term. (Obama later won confirmation of his fourth appeals court judge — one minute after noon on Jan. 20, 2010, and thus one minute into his second year in office.)
District Court — Ten of Trump’s nominees to be federal District Court judges have been confirmed, one more than the nine for whom Obama had won confirmation at the same point in his presidency.
More nominations are working their way toward the Senate floor in coming days. On Jan. 18, the Senate Judiciary Committee cleared the nominations of 17 more Trump appointees, including three named to be appellate judges.

Most of these judges and, justices have to see Trump before being appointed, what is said in the room with Trump, who is present when the meetings take place, does Trump demand a "loyalty pledge" from them like he demanded of Comey? These are legitimate questions and, they all lead to one problem, is Trump setting us up for a dictatorial take over.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
4.1.13  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @4.1.12    6 years ago
Can that be assured if he has yes men in both Congress and, the courts?

we will be fine....

as long as we do not let the left weaken our tools against tyrants   (aka bill of rights)

as always... if the first amendment does not work,    the second amendment will.

now you know why we call NO FUKIN WAY on the PC talk and any gun control.

free speech and gun rights keep our country out of the hands of tyrant wannabes.

Right now the Republicans control Congress and, court appointments are being confirmed at a historic rate,

I am thinking... that was our plan.

win some elections... LOL

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.14  Trout Giggles  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @4.1.5    6 years ago

I would like to hear the answer to Galen's question. Wallace is as old-school Democrat as you can find

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
4.1.15  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @4.1.13    6 years ago
 court appointments are being confirmed at a historic rate,

yea,,, your party has been selling you out for recess.

resist... unless it means they lose time off.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
4.1.16  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.14    6 years ago

fuk wallace..

I was a democrat after physical slavery and left when I saw progressives start pushing this new mental PC slavery.

I will always reject physical slavery and mental slavery

my words will not be controlled by the likes of todays progressives

unlike hillary. people like robert byrd were not my friends or my mentors so I walked away.... just kiddin. I ran as fast as I could and never looked back.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.17  Trout Giggles  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @4.1.16    6 years ago

whatever. Your comments say otherwise

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
4.1.18  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.17    6 years ago

as always....

what other people think about me is none of my business.

think whatcha like... matters not.

Cheers :)

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.19  Trout Giggles  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @4.1.18    6 years ago

that's obvious

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
4.1.20  Spikegary  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @4.1.12    6 years ago

Why would this be any different thannay other president.  Did you demand to know the same infom form President Obama?  President Clinton?

If not, why not?  And why should the current president be required to let you know?

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
4.1.21  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @4.1.18    6 years ago
as always....

what other people think about me is none of my business.

think whatcha like... matters not.

Lovely to see you embrace this belief.  If you did care what people think about you, then I imagine a quick dive under the first passing bus might look pretty appealing.  Every 5 minutes.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.22  Tessylo  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @4.1.21    6 years ago

jrSmiley_18_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_28_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_40_smiley_image.gif

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
4.1.23  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @4.1.13    6 years ago
we will be fine.... as long as we do not let the left weaken our tools against tyrants   (aka bill of rights)

It was the "Left" that created the Bill of Rights.

as always... if the first amendment does not work,    the second amendment will.

Sooo, you sanction anarchy? Nice to know.

now you know why we call NO FUKIN WAY on the PC talk and any gun control.

Soo, you're for anyone buying a gun, including ex-cons and, people with mental problems. got it.

free speech and gun rights keep our country out of the hands of tyrant wannabes.

I thought that was up to the courts and, the police and, the military.

Right now the Republicans control Congress and, court appointments are being confirmed at a historic rate,
I am thinking... that was our plan.

With a "tyrant wannabe" in the White House? Good luck with that.

win some elections... LOL

We will.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
4.1.24  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Spikegary @4.1.20    6 years ago
Why would this be any different thannay other president.  Did you demand to know the same infom form President Obama?  President Clinton? If not, why not?  And why should the current president be required to let you know?

Neither Clinton or, Obama demanded that his judges or, members of Congress take a loyalty oath, Trump has been known to require one of people he appoints or, has working in his administration. Besides, in case you have forgotten, both Obama and, Clinton had to work with Republican Congress's.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
4.1.25  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @4.1.23    6 years ago
It was the "Left" that created the Bill of Righ

BS, the support big govt left is not anti-federalist.  

you are not going to make that leap in a million years

anti federalist = anti federal government  (rightwingnuts all the way.)

states rights? anti federalism

the tea party?  that is anti federalism.

support gun rights to knock off a tyrannical govt?   that is anti federalism.

support free speech even if it makes someone cry?     that is anti federalism

meanwhile....  back on the left...

big government obamacare? federalism

more taxes to support big govt? federalism

gun control, speech control?   federalist pricks.

/

I don't buy into the lefts bs very easily, so ya might want to  sell yer bs elsewhere k?

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
4.1.26  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @4.1.25    6 years ago
I don't buy into the lefts bs very easily, so ya might want to  sell yer bs elsewhere k?

It would seem that you are on the wrong side of the way our Founding Fathers thought, in fact you fall under what the Tories thought,

SEMANTICS: Liberalism is the ideology of liberty and equality. Classical liberalism emphasizes liberty, and Social liberalism emphasizes equality. Thus another way to phrase this would be, as one commenter eluded, “America’s founding fathers were liberals. Some were more liberal than others, but all were liberals (not “classical liberals”, but just “liberals”). And, even amongst the most liberal of the founders [and most the most conservative for that matter], differing ideas were held as to how best to assure human liberty [and equality] in the state.” In other words, the founders didn’t favor authority, tradition, and state control over liberty like the Tories did, and they fought for equality-for-all in their battle for human rights, sovereignty, and democracy (something rarely done in history), but that doesn’t mean that they were all what we think of as “modern liberals” or that they fully agreed on how best to ensure liberty, equality, and justice for all. Today, social liberalism is the predominate form of liberalism and we can say those who favor the liberty aspect (like a states’ rights advocate or a libertarian) are being “classically liberal”, so the distinction works, but we can still despite this say simply, “America’s founders are liberals” and “the nation was founded on the principles of liberalism”. Feel free to comment below. TIP: Economic classical liberalism is a thing, it is what Adam Smith, Franklin’s friend and father of modern economics, presents in his Wealth of Nations… but don’t go thinking every classical liberal is a staunch Goldwater or Friedman Libertarian. That isn’t the case at all. Thomas Paine favored a wealth tax, and the term “commonwealth“, which predates the U.S. gaining independence, essentially implies a redistribution of wealth for the “common social good” within the state. In modern terms, we can say “all the founders were types of classical liberals”, but some were more progressive or conservative than others, in terms of economics and/or social policy, on a given issue. Later, those liberty minded, progressive, and conservative liberal ideologies would grow into the modern political factions, but at the time they are all liberal-left to George III’s right.
FACT: The Glorious Revolution and England, the American Revolution, and the French Revolutions were all liberal revolutions. The rebels in each case fought for principles of liberalism and against kings. America was founded on the principles of the enlightenment (as can be clearly seen in the structure of the Republican government enacted by the Constitution, and the classical liberal principles enacted by the Bill of Rights).
FACT: Before the Revolution, about a third of the colonists were loyal to Britain, a third neutral, and a third wanting rebellion. All the founders were essentially patriots (those who wanted rebellion) and none were openly loyal to Britain. The Patriots called those who supported Britain, “persons inimical to the liberties of America.”

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
4.1.27  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @4.1.26    6 years ago
It would seem that you are on the wrong side of the way our Founding Fathers thought

they called me a liberal until progressives showed up.

I supported the first amendment as written when they called me a liberal 40yrs ago

I supported the second amendment as written "shall not be infringed" when they called me a liberal 40yrs ago

I knew the 2nd amendment is there to throw off our federal govt if it becomes authoritarian when they called me a liberal 40yrs ago also

today's liberals are a new kind of crazy...

people that wish to control speech (1st amendment) and control guns (2nd amendment) do not get to suddenly say "they invented the bill of rights.  when they are obviously not supporting the first two amendments. and think they can tell congress when it is in session... obama you cracked me up... LOL

if todays liberals drafted the bill of rights?

1st amendment = you can't say that if it makes someone cry.

if you balk at saying the pledge of allegiance? try to control speech and guns? hate religion and think you're a patriot?  you must be a progressive liberal... here is your sign.

Sophomore Guide
4.1.28  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @4.1.27    6 years ago
if you balk at saying the pledge of allegiance? try to control speech and guns? hate religion and think you're a patriot? 

LOL The way you put stuff is hard to refute.

But, LOL, Here’s a little of my take on it,

The pledge of allegiance is kinda losing its reality.

“I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

One GOD ?

Indivisible…LOL are you joking, have you been in America lately ?

Liberty and Justus for all, .. which many poor people sure question daily.

try to control speech:

With so much hateful speech these days from so many it’s not much wonder many would like that stopped. BTW isn't gonna happen from the bottom if it ever does. Totally restricting free speech would need a governmental component and likely would start with censoring the media. 

Gun control: No regulating weapons designed for war now in civilian hands by the millions doesn’t sound much like a well regulated anything to me.

Hate religion:

I don’t think many Americans Hate religion, but most of us do certainly do not like anyone trying to shove their religion upon us.

The world is, has and will change and not everyone sees it the same. Liberals and progressive people are part of America as much as the conservative people are, one just has most of the political power at this time.

One land with two parties, each wanting total control, Good Luck America !

One of the things you did leave out magic is:

"United we stand devided we fall"  ... Where the hell did the importance of that one go as well eh ? 

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
4.1.29  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @4.1.28    6 years ago
The world is, has and will change

that is a fact... it has changed and it will be changed again.

the days of the world growing their economies at our expense is the first thing the world is going to change.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
4.1.30  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @4.1.27    6 years ago
if you balk at saying the pledge of allegiance?

I took a different oath and, I don't give a flying fig if I ever say the pledge again in my life, as far as I'm concerned the oath I took supersedes the pledge.

try to control speech and guns?

Sooo, you think someone should be able to shout "fire" in a crowded theatre and, someone who has a felony should be able to buy a gun. Got it.

hate religion and think you're a patriot?

Which religion? I've seen a lot of people on the Right on here say that Islam shouldn't be tolerated, that any Muslim should be hung from a tree, cheer when a Mosque was burned to the ground, rail against Muslims defending their temples from attacks by those haters on the right. Are those people "liberals"?

you must be a progressive liberal... here is your sign.

Then I'll have to be a "progressive liberal" in your eyes but, I will know the truth.

Now, please tell me, what is wrong with being progressive? You do know the definition of progressivism don't you? Just in case,

progressivism noun

pro·gres·siv·ism | \prə-ˈgre-si-ˌvi-zəm

\
Definition of progressivism
: the principles, beliefs, or practices of progressives
capitalized : the political and economic doctrines advocated by the Progressives
: the theories of progressive education

progressive adjective

pro·gres·sive | \prə-ˈgre-siv

\
Definition of progressive (Entry 1 of 2)
a
: of, relating to, or characterized by progress
b
: making use of or interested in new ideas, findings, or opportunities
c
: of, relating to, or constituting an educational theory marked by emphasis on the individual child, informality of classroom procedure, and encouragement of self-expression
: of, relating to, or characterized by progression
: moving forward or onward : advancing
a
: increasing in extent or severity
a progressive disease
b
: increasing in rate as the base increases
a progressive tax
often capitalized : of or relating to political Progressives
: of, relating to, or constituting a verb form that expresses action or state in progress at the time of speaking or a time spoken of
: of, relating to, or being a multifocal lens with a gradual transition between focal lengths
progressive bifocals
: or, relating to, or using a method of video scanning (as for television or a computer monitor) in which the horizontal lines of each frame are drawn successively from top to bottom — compare interlaced

progressive noun
Definition of progressive (Entry 2 of 2)
a
: one that is progressive
b
: one believing in moderate political change and especially social improvement by governmental action
capitalized : a member of any of various U.S. political parties: such as
a
: a member of a predominantly agrarian minor party that around 1912 split off from the Republicans
specifically : bull moose
b
: a follower of Robert M. La Follette in the presidential campaign of 1924
c
: a follower of Henry A. Wallace in the presidential campaign of 1948

I hope this helps to educate you.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
4.1.31  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @4.1.30    6 years ago

there will never be a day when you have something to teach me.

liberal progressives are full of shit across the board.

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
5  lennylynx    6 years ago

Every right winger sure as hell expects those on the left to be politically correct.  They only like it when their side isn't.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
5.1  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  lennylynx @5    6 years ago
Every right winger sure as hell expects those on the left to be politically correct. 

that is why the right uses tech giants like facebook, twitter, and google to censor speech that is not pc..

it all makes sense now.  those rotten fukin bastards... 

oh, wait... wrong side... my bad :)

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
6  Dismayed Patriot    6 years ago

"It seems like everyday you wake up something has changed … Do you say Jew? Or Jewish? Is it a black guy? African-American? … You are on your toes because you never know what to say. So political correctness in that sense is scary."

Yeah, to your average Archie Bunker who doesn't know any other terms for minorities than "n^%$#r" "sp!c" "Chin@man" "D&go" "D!nk" "Hym!e" "J3wboy" "M!ck" "N!p" "R@ghead" "W0p" "Z!pperhead", etc. Everyone else is just fine getting rid of racist hate-filled epitaphs.

Political Correctness: noun - the avoidance of forms of expression or action that are perceived to exclude, marginalize, or insult groups of people who are socially disadvantaged or discriminated against.

Does that sound so bad? Is it really that hard to treat others with respect even if you don't share their faith or culture?

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
6.1  Spikegary  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @6    6 years ago
It seems like everyday you wake up something has changed … Do you say Jew? Or Jewish? Is it a black guy? African-American? … You are on your toes because you never know what to say. So political correctness in that sense is scary." Yeah, to your average Archie Bunker who doesn't know any other terms for minorities than "n^%$#r" "sp!c" "Chin@man" "D&go" "D!nk" "Hym!e" "J3wboy" "M!ck" "N!p" "R@ghead" "W0p" "Z!pperhead", etc. Everyone else is just fine getting rid of racist hate-filled epitaphs.

Huge difference in the words he was asking about vs. the nastiness you published.  You can see that, right?

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
6.1.1  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Spikegary @6.1    6 years ago
You can see that, right?

Racist epitaphs have changed throughout the years, and what was once common place is now recognized as highly offensive. It wasn't as if the terms weren't offensive to those they were directed towards at the time, of course they were, it's just the majority didn't care about what most minorities thought or felt, almost as if their targets of ridicule were another species altogether.

Being PC simply means being aware of other cultures so you can avoid being insensitive of their customs, its what good hearted, open minded people do. Hardhearted, closed minded persons whine about not being able to use their old insensitive terms that they grew up with, and it's not about trying to figure out whether to say black or African American. Being PC means having to be better educated about other cultures, getting to know them and appreciating their customs. Complaining about being PC is really just displaying lazy indifference for your fellow man.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7  Buzz of the Orient    6 years ago

Looks like the majority of Americans are finally waking up to what I've been saying for a long time.  Of course my criticism isn't nor has it ever been for reasonable PC in general, it's for the extreme PC that it has developed into. 

Sophomore Guide
7.1  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Buzz of the Orient @7    6 years ago
it's for the extreme PC that it has developed into.

That Kinda sums up America Buzz a nation of extremes.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
7.1.1  Spikegary  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @7.1    6 years ago

Not really, Steve.  The extremes get the press because of their extreme positions, as a squeaky wheel gets the grease.  There are far more of us in the middle that the extremes would argue doesn't exist because if we 'exist' they would be able to claim us as 'right' or 'left', which does not suit their narrative - the whole either 'you are with us or you are not' thought process.  There are a lot of us that understand and believe in a middle gound where some of your ideas are right and some of their ideas are right.  The extremes can't tolerate that and when someone tries to articulate that, the extremes descend and call them liars because you can't possibly be 'both'.  They don't get that they are the extremes-they think (wrongly) they are people that are correct and represent everyone's opinion on this side or on that side.

Sophomore Guide
7.1.2  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Spikegary @7.1.1    6 years ago
Not really, Steve.  The extremes get the press because of their extreme positions, as a aqueaky wheel gets the grease.

True !

As a whole though we do seem like a country of extremes for the very reason you put forth, enough extremes and usually in the spotlight to boot we do project that unrealistic image.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.2  Sparty On  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @7    6 years ago

Nothing much has changed Buzz.   You wouldn't know it from the majority of presenters here but most Americans have never bought into this progressive PC nonsense of late.

NT is just a microcosm of todays media after all.   In that it is heavily biased to the left and not representative of the majority here in the US.

luther28
Sophomore Silent
8  luther28    6 years ago

I do make an attempt to go out of my way not to denigrate any of my fellow humans (not needed as we do such a fine job of it on our own), but yes it has gotten way out of control. But then again we seem to have become a Nation of extremes, moderation seems to have become a four letter word.

The quoting Winston Churchill kerfluffle is a prime example of PC running amok in my estimation.

freepress
Freshman Silent
9  freepress    6 years ago

I believe in manners and manners can be taught. It is one thing to be "politically incorrect" among family and friends, but you would think that decent educated people, especially those running for elected office would actually have a clue on how to BEHAVE.

The worst thing in the world has happened and that is to drag down everyone into the gutter by demanding that NO ONE should have any decency and blurt out whatever, just to abandon all manners, education and decency.

You are either decent or not, you are either mannerly or not, you are either educated or not, and encouraging everyone to just jump into the mud pit because one side or the other threw "political correctness" into the trash can doesn't mean either side is right to do so.

Stand on your principles and what you believe, sadly we are seeing that about 30 percent of people are not really decent principled people but are being vocal and acting on the worst impulses, defending that as dropping their "political correctness".

Sophomore Guide
9.1  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  freepress @9    6 years ago

well said !

luther28
Sophomore Silent
9.2  luther28  replied to  freepress @9    6 years ago

Nicely stated