╌>

Two Minnesota Republican Candidates Assaulted

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  vic-eldred  •  6 years ago  •  65 comments

Two Minnesota Republican Candidates Assaulted
“I think what people need to realize, that when people like Cory Booker say, ‘Get up in their face,’ he may think that that’s OK,” said Paul, who was present when Representative Steve Scalise (R., La.) was shot during a practice for the annual congressional baseball game last year. “But what he doesn’t realize is that for about every 1,000th person that might want to get up in your face, one of them is going to be unstable enough to commit violence.”

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Two Republican candidates for state office in Minnesota have been physically assaulted in recent days, leading prominent Republican lawmakers to caution their Democratic colleagues against employing inflammatory rhetoric.

Republican state representative Sarah Anderson was punched in the arm last week after confronting a man who was destroying yard signs promoting Republican candidates.

“It was just insane. He was charging at me, saying, ‘Why don’t you go kill yourself?'” Anderson   told the  Washington Free Beacon . “To have someone physically coming after you and attacking you is just disheartening.”

Shane Mekeland, a first-time Republican candidate for the state legislature, suffered a concussion over the weekend after he was sucker punched while meeting with constituents at a local restaurant.

“I was so overtaken by surprise and shock, and if this is the new norm, this is not what I signed up for,” said Mekeland, who has suffered from memory loss and sensitivity to light since the incident.

Local police confirmed that a suspect had been identified in connection with both assaults and said charges will likely be filed in the coming days.

The attacks took place days after the Democratic-Farmer-Labor party suspended a communications staffer for one week for writing in a Facebook post that Democrats would “bring [Republicans] to the guillotine” in the coming elections.

Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and fellow prominent Republicans have cautioned their Democratic colleagues in recent weeks against using inflammatory and divisive rhetoric and have increasingly cast them as the unhinged party of “mob rule” when addressing voters.

“Only one side was happy to play host to this toxic fringe behavior,” McConnell said Thursday, referencing the raucous protesters that descended on the Capitol during Justice Brett Kavanaugh’s confirmation hearing. “Only one side’s leaders are now openly calling for more of it. They haven’t seen enough. They want more. And I’m afraid this is only Phase One of the meltdown.”

Asked about Senator Cory Booker’s (D., N.J.) urging his constituents to “get up in the face of” politicians they disagree with, Senator Rand Paul (R., Ky.)   said the statement   could be misinterpreted by the mentally ill.

“I think what people need to realize, that when people like Cory Booker say, ‘Get up in their face,’ he may think that that’s OK,” said Paul, who was present when Representative Steve Scalise (R., La.) was shot during a practice for the annual congressional baseball game last year. “But what he doesn’t realize is that for about every 1,000th person that might want to get up in your face, one of them is going to be unstable enough to commit violence.”

October 17, 2018 11:22 AM

Article is LOCKED by author/seeder
[]

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Vic Eldred    6 years ago

I submit that the violence has begun

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Vic Eldred @1    6 years ago

Cannot recall the number of times on NT that I have heard progressive liberals comment on violence by the progressive left against conservatives saying, "Tell me when the liberal left resorts to violence against  conservatives!", well here ya go. Here's concrete proof. Cannot wait to hear how they talk their way out of this one while continuing to say it does not happen.jrSmiley_55_smiley_image.gif

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2.1  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.2    6 years ago

Most likely they revert back to the one random act of violence they know of associated not with the GOP, but with some KKK group. Then they say "it happens on both sides"

lady in black
Professor Quiet
1.2.2  lady in black  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.2.1    6 years ago

Trump praises 'tough cookie' Montana rep who 'body slammed' reporter last year.  

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.2.3  Split Personality  replied to  lady in black @1.2.2    6 years ago
'tough cookie' Montana rep

Born in CA, raised in PA, went to college in NJ and settled in NJ; had a high tech start up he & a partner sold to MacAffee.

Retired to Montana, started another computer company which he sold to Oracle for 1.5 billion in 2011.

Retired again and now very rich, he started running for office....

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.2.4  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Split Personality @1.2.3    6 years ago

He has every right. Do you want to take away those rights?

Rmando
Sophomore Silent
3  Rmando    6 years ago

I'm not holding my breath expecting the usual outrage from the left about how chants like "CNN sucks" are threats to show up and take a stand against real violence.

Congress needs to move to censure advocates of violence like Mad Maxine who call for this sort of thing.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
3.1  MrFrost  replied to  Rmando @3    6 years ago
Congress needs to move to censure advocates of violence like Mad Maxine who call for this sort of thing.

Rmando
Sophomore Silent
3.1.1  Rmando  replied to  MrFrost @3.1    6 years ago

The left needs to get it through their thick heads: CHARLOTTESVILLE HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THE GOP!!!!

I know that's the lefts favorite deflection because they have nothing else, but anybody who has read anything about Charlottesville knows that aside from the principles involved, the group that is really to blame for that mess was the mayor and the local police. Their incompetence allowed that situation to get out of hand- not Trump, not the GOP in congress, not even the Democratic governor. You guys really need new material.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
3.1.2  MrFrost  replied to  Rmando @3.1.1    6 years ago
CHARLOTTESVILLE HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THE GOP!!!!

Cantwell has also expressed admiration for political commentator  Tucker Carlson , who, Cantwell says, "is basically telling white America to prepare for war as directly as he can get away with while remaining on  Fox News . I couldn't agree with him more, and if he tells me to pick up a gun, I'm doing it." [43]

Former Ku Klux Klan leader David Duke appeared at the "Unite the Right" rally in Charlottesville, Va., prior to Saturday's violent clashes, saying that the event represented fulfilling the promises of President Trump "This represents a turning point for the people of this country. We are determined to take our country back, we're going to fulfill the promises of Donald Trump, and that's what we believed in, that's why we voted for Donald Trump , because he said he's going to take our country back and that's what we gotta do," Duke said. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.3  Tessylo  replied to  MrFrost @3.1    6 years ago

The Proud Boys, The GOP And 'The Fascist Creep'

Community   »   Discussions   »   Topic   » News & Politics »   Discussion   » The Proud Boys, The GOP And 'The Fascist Creep'
Via:    tessylo    •    23 hours ago    •    8 comments  

_v=1539873077

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.4  Tessylo  replied to  Rmando @3.1.1    6 years ago
The left needs to get it through their thick heads: CHARLOTTESVILLE HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THE GOP!!!!

Yeah, like they also have nothing to do with the Proud Boys?

See 3.1.3

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
3.1.5  Spikegary  replied to  MrFrost @3.1    6 years ago

I don't know of anyone that thinks this guy is anyone but an asshole who murdered an innocent and hurt many others.  No one on the right claims him or approves his use of violence....but the left, on the other hand, following Spartifaux Cory Booker are willing to promote violence publicly. 

The difference between decent people and those on the left.  The right condemns it, the left promotes it.

“Only one side was happy to play host to this toxic fringe behavior,”

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
3.1.6  Spikegary  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.3    6 years ago

I saw another Story about this-in the NYT.  They said some ANTIFA guy started it by throwing a bottleand striking one of the proud boys (whatever they are).  I don't know about you, but throw something at me and hit me, it's likely to come back at you with an equal or greater force.  I understand the people afraid to show their face think they should get free shots, but the real world doesn't work that way,

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.7  Tessylo  replied to  Spikegary @3.1.6    6 years ago
'I saw another Story about this-in the NYT.  They said some ANTIFA guy started it by throwing a bottleand striking one of the proud boys (whatever they are).' 

You keep pretending not to know what the proud boys are despite all the citations.

'NEW YORK — Gavin McInnes, the founder of the violent neo-fascist gang the Proud Boys , had a perplexing message for the Republican Party last Friday. “At the very least, people of the right,”  he told a crowd  inside the Metropolitan Republican Club ballroom, “let us scum in.”

Please show me the citation about the bottle thrower - of course the proud boys would say 'they started it'.

jrSmiley_18_smiley_image.gif

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
3.1.10  Jack_TX  replied to  MrFrost @3.1.2    6 years ago
Cantwell has also expressed admiration for political commentator Tucker Carlson,

John Hinckley expressed admiration for Jodie Foster.  Doesn't really mean she had anything to do with shooting President Reagan.  

MrFrost
Professor Expert
3.2  MrFrost  replied to  Rmando @3    6 years ago
Mad Maxine

Rmando
Sophomore Silent
3.2.1  Rmando  replied to  MrFrost @3.2    6 years ago

That would be great material.... if we were doing the 2016 election again. Got any recent material, or are you just going to keep replaying his greatest hits?

MrFrost
Professor Expert
3.2.2  MrFrost  replied to  Rmando @3.2.1    6 years ago

Wow, really? But bringing up the Clinton's constantly is perfectly ok with you, right? 

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
3.2.3  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Rmando @3.2.1    6 years ago
That would be great material.... if we were doing the 2016 election again. Got any recent material, or are you just going to keep replaying his greatest hits?

Rmando
Sophomore Silent
3.2.4  Rmando  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @3.2.3    6 years ago

Apparently the left doesn't understand the concept of "humor". But I already knew that after watching unfunny late night so called comedians.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.2.5  Tessylo  replied to  Rmando @3.2.4    6 years ago

It takes more than a smattering of intelligence to get the humor of such smart folks as those late night so called comedians.  

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
3.2.6  Spikegary  replied to  Tessylo @3.2.5    6 years ago

Now, who went and told you that?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.2.7  Tessylo  replied to  Spikegary @3.2.6    6 years ago

I wasn't talking to you spike.  

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
3.2.8  Colour Me Free  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @3.2.3    6 years ago

The Presidents comments regarding Gianforte were odd, and a rather poor attempt at humor - seems the President thinks that Gianforte (a New Jersey transplant not a Montanan) actions were manly (or something like that)  Trump is a girly man .. so other's 'exploits' he cheers as if such actions are appropriate...

I do not defend Trump, I think he is a puke - yet I am missing out on what his 'condoning of violence' has accomplished, except for to have caused aggressive behavior from the opposition - what is happen in this country at this time is not Trump's doing .. his BS is serving to magnify the divide that has been in existence for sometime in this great nation.  Everything appears to be being dealt with by one extreme or another - with plenty of blame to go around..

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.2.9  Trout Giggles  replied to  Colour Me Free @3.2.8    6 years ago
Trump is a girly man

jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

He is!

Rmando
Sophomore Silent
3.2.10  Rmando  replied to  Tessylo @3.2.5    6 years ago

"It takes more than a smattering of intelligence to get the humor of such smart folks as those late night so called comedians."

I didn't realize somebody has to be a Mensa member to get a joke from Colbert about Trump being Putins "cock holster". Or maybe I'm just overthinking it.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
3.2.11  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Rmando @3.2.4    6 years ago

The left understands the concept just fine, as long as they come up with it first...

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
3.2.12  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Rmando @3.2.4    6 years ago
Apparently the left doesn't understand the concept of "humor". But I already knew that after watching unfunny late night so called comedians.

Well, I'm sorry that you think the beating of journalists is funny or, that killing them is just as funny. I find it repulsive myself.

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
3.2.13  Colour Me Free  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.2.9    6 years ago

YEP!  bet he falls apart when he gets a hang nail!

Ender
Professor Principal
3.2.14  Ender  replied to  Colour Me Free @3.2.8    6 years ago

You can read it right here on this thread. The left does this, the right does this.

IMO the politicians want us to be divided. And people fall for it. Makes it easier to get what they want accomplished.

a New Jersey transplant not a Montanan

I get tired of that too. Hillary in New York, Romney in Utah, they go where they can get elected.

Rmando
Sophomore Silent
3.2.15  Rmando  replied to  Galen Marvin Ross @3.2.12    6 years ago

Exactly what does Trumps joke have to do with Kashigi? Hyperbole much?

I don't recall the left being too sensitive when they made jokes about incest between Trump and Ivanka or wishing on numerous occasions for assassinations on Trump or his family.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
3.2.16  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Rmando @3.2.15    6 years ago
Exactly what does Trumps joke have to do with Kashigi? Hyperbole much?

That kind of "joke" is no joke, it shows that Trump doesn't give a damn about KHASHOGGI because, one, he was a journalist, and, two he wasn't a U.S. citizen, it shows what kind of unfeeling bastard Trump is.

I don't recall the left being too sensitive when they made jokes about incest between Trump and Ivanka

Trump set himself up for that one with his comments about his own daughter, don't blame that on the "Left".

or wishing on numerous occasions for assassinations on Trump or his family.

I don't like Trump or, his family I think they are con artists and, Trump has no clue what he is doing in the White House except milking the American people for whatever he can get out of them but, any one who threatens his family or, him while he is president is wrong, that being said, I don't recall any threats of assassination against Trump, unless you consider impeachment a threat of assassination.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
4  Dismayed Patriot    6 years ago

Two Minnesota Republican peanuts went to New York, one was a salted.

"Sarah Anderson was punched in the arm last week"

"Shane Mekeland, a first-time Republican candidate for the state legislature, suffered a concussion over the weekend after he was sucker punched while meeting with constituents at a local restaurant."

Any such violence, even if it's just a "punch in the arm", should never be employed by either party. It's simply unacceptable.

Now let the rest of the conservative Republican faux righteous indignation and exaggerated victim play-acting continue, sorry for the interruption. One would think they might have reacted the same when Gabby Gifford's was shot at a rally, but all we heard then was "They're gonna try and use this to take our guns!" and "It's a mental health issue! Not a political party or gun issue!".

I submit that the two who apparently threw a punch in a restaurant or punched the Republican candidate in the arm had mental health issues, so that should clear it all up, right? /s Just kidding, I know how excited you guys are that this occurred, I could practically see the rubbing of hands together in glee when I read the headline, conservatives are not going to give up on this political gift for quite some time I'm sure.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
4.1  Spikegary  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @4    6 years ago
Any such violence, even if it's just a "punch in the arm", should never be employed by either party. It's simply unacceptable.

That's the only right thing you said in your entire comment.  The rest is just 'they are worse than us' finger pointing......cockroaches don't like light being shined on them-I understand what you are trying to accomplish.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
4.1.1  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Spikegary @4.1    6 years ago
The rest is just 'they are worse than us' finger pointing...

So the entirety of all the conservative comments above aren't? Isn't that the intent of this entire seed? Conservatives pointing the finger at liberals and Democrats saying " the violence has begun" as if fulfillment of conservative prophecy. All I did was point out the hypocrisy of Republicans getting bent out of shape over these incidents but were mute on other acts of violence when they were perpetrated against their opponents. In fact Republicans actually elected their representative who BODY SLAMMED a reporter. But this "punch in the arm" of one of their candidates "it is an outrage! An outrage I tell you! And fulfillment of prophecy! The evil liberals are attacking, take up your arms!"... /s 

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
4.1.2  Spikegary  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @4.1.1    6 years ago

Since your spokespersons for the Democratic Party (Cory Booker, Diane Feinstein, Nancy Pelosi, Hillary Clinton, etc. ad nauseum) all seem to be advocating violence, you need to own it.

Using the 'they did it, so it's okay for us to do it' is a child's game.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.4  Tessylo  replied to  Spikegary @4.1.2    6 years ago
'Cory Booker, Diane Feinstein, Nancy Pelosi, Hillary Clinton, etc. ad nauseum'

I have never seen them advocating violence.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.6  Tessylo  replied to    6 years ago

“No, no,” Holder says. “When they go low, we kick 'em. That’s what this new Democratic Party is about."

Several minutes later, Holder clarifies that he’s not advocating anything illicit.

"When I say we, you know, ‘We kick ‘em,’ I don’t mean we do anything inappropriate. We don’t do anything illegal,” Holder said. “But we got to be tough, and we have to fight for the very things that [civil rights leaders] John Lewis, Martin Luther King, Whitney Young – you know, all those folks gave to us.”

Now stupid shit Eric Trump said that Mr. Holder said we kick 'em in the head.  
HE DIDN'T SAY THAT.
If it weren't for embellishments and lies the gop/republicans got nothing!

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
4.1.7  Dismayed Patriot  replied to    6 years ago
Ever hear the phrase, "When they go low, we kick 'em"?

Has the phrase, "When they go low, we go high" ever been in reference to physically jumping over something or rolling under something? No? You mean its a metaphor?

Trying to claim Eric Holder is inciting violence because he altered a metaphor is desperate. Does anyone really believe he was advocating violence and not referring to a political metaphor? If so you might be interested to know gullible isn't even found in any dictionary... go ahead, look it up.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
4.1.8  Split Personality  replied to  Spikegary @4.1.2    6 years ago
Using the 'they did it, so it's okay for us to do it' is a child's game.

Tell that to President Trump, the leader of the GOP and the rest of the country.

He led a Montana rally the other night in cheering for his candidate, who body slammed a journalist and plead guilty to misdemeanor assault,

while mocking the journalists at the event.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
4.1.9  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @4.1.7    6 years ago
Trying to claim Eric Holder is inciting violence because he altered a metaphor is desperate. Does anyone really believe he was advocating violence and not referring to a political metaphor? If so you might be interested to know gullible isn't even found in any dictionary... go ahead, look it up.

What they don't get on the Right is that the Kennedy's perfected "going low" when they ran for office, Ted Kennedy would hope that his opponent would go low so that he could, through political means, gut him in the campaign. Ted was very good at it and, I think Eric Holder had something there, if the Republicans go low, then we have to go even lower but, because of all the shit that they've done over the past ten years, I think we can find some things called facts to use against them and, to show them for who they really are.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1.10  seeder  Vic Eldred  replied to  Split Personality @4.1.8    6 years ago
Tell that to President Trump

No tell it to Maxine Waters, Eric Holder and Cory Booker. 

while mocking the journalists at the event.

Nope. They work for the media but in no way are they "journalists"

MrFrost
Professor Expert
5  MrFrost    6 years ago
Republican state representative Sarah Anderson was punched in the arm

Her story is not credible.