╌>

A Nebraska School Served Students Chili Made With Kangaroo Meat - Has Apologized For Causing 'Anxiety'

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  johnrussell  •  6 years ago  •  25 comments

A Nebraska School Served Students Chili Made With Kangaroo Meat  - Has Apologized For Causing 'Anxiety'
his choice did not go down well with parents who complained that they did want their children being served “exotic meat.”. Some even complained that their kids were feeling sick after the meal, despite kangaroo meat not being harmful.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

A Nebraska school cook is in hot water after he served students chili containing a mixture of beef and kangaroo meat.

5176430-6291997-image-a-19_1539889073242

Kevin Frei said he added the ingredient because it was a lean source of protein. But his choice did not go down well with parents who complained that they did want their children being served “exotic meat.”. Some even complained that their kids were feeling sick after the meal, despite kangaroo meat not being harmful.

Potter-Drix Public Schools superintendent Mike Williams shared a letter with a few “thoughts on this situation.”

“1. If a family wants to eat exotic foods, they can do so on their own time—not at school,” Williams said, according to the letter, which was posted on Facebook .

“2. If we were to have food or ingredients that are out of the ordinary, they should be listed on the menu so that the students and families are aware of what they would be being served.

“3. We will no way be serving food of this nature again. Period.”

Williams apologized in the letter for the “anxiety and any harm that this has caused individual students and/or families.” He added: “We will make sure that something like this never occurs again.”

Despite the backlash, kangaroo meat is a very healthy alternative to beef. It is 98 percent fat-free and high in protein and iron. In Australia, kangaroo meat is a common dish that is offered in bars across the country. Kangaroo meat exports are also growing by around 10 percent per year, according to the ABC .

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    6 years ago

There must have been some exciting games of HOP-scotch out in the school playground that afternoon. 

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
2  Dean Moriarty    6 years ago

I was wondering what happened to Petey Coober. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Dean Moriarty @2    6 years ago

Maybe Petey was the cook. 

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
2.2  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Dean Moriarty @2    6 years ago
I was wondering what happened to Petey Coober.

Me, too.  Does anyone know? 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.2.2  It Is ME  replied to  Release The Kraken @2.2.1    6 years ago
I think he met a Roo with a nice pouch

Time for SVU to get involved. 

Uptownchick
Junior Silent
2.3  Uptownchick  replied to  Dean Moriarty @2    6 years ago

I was wondering the same thing just the other day.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.4  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Dean Moriarty @2    6 years ago

Is he related to Kangaroo Jack?

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
3  Ronin2    6 years ago

I can see why.

Cook- this is a great source of lean meat.

Kids, "We just ate Kanga and Roo!"

What I want to know is who approved this cook's budget. Kangaroo meat is much more expensive than beef- at least from what I found online.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
4  Spikegary    6 years ago

This is hilarious.....those folks are hopping mad......

luther28
Sophomore Silent
5  luther28    6 years ago

Kangaroo Meat

I wonder, does it taste like chicken?

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
5.1  Freefaller  replied to  luther28 @5    6 years ago

No it tastes like horse

JenSiNner
Freshman Silent
6  JenSiNner    6 years ago

I can't help wondering how you even begin to import that kind of meat.  Didn't we go through this with Jack-In-The-Box in the 70s?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  JenSiNner @6    6 years ago

Were they importing kangaroo meat?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
7  Trout Giggles    6 years ago

I really thought this was happening in Australia not Nebraska. I was asking myself, what's the big deal, they eat roo meat in Australia.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
7.1  Freefaller  replied to  Trout Giggles @7    6 years ago

Agreed chili needs meat, kangaroo is meat.  I don't see a problem.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
8  Ed-NavDoc    6 years ago

Had Kangaroo meat when I was in Australia in the 80's. It tasted really good. Used some in a chili cookoff in Antarctica one year too. Had no complaints!

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
8.1  dave-2693993  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @8    6 years ago

I am having trouble believing the illness and anxiety from eating roo.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
8.1.1  Spikegary  replied to  dave-2693993 @8.1    6 years ago

Well, certain segments of the population live their lives full of imagined illness and anxiety these days......

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
8.1.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  dave-2693993 @8.1    6 years ago

Some people are just too squeamish to try something different and/or new. In my 20 years of military service I did desert, mountain, and jungle survival training on three different continents. I had everything from croc, snake, gators, monitor lizards, monkey, and many others and enjoyed most. The only ones I had a problem with were grubs, scorpions, and locusts. Could not do those.jrSmiley_2_smiley_image.png

It Is ME
Masters Guide
9  It Is ME    6 years ago

If no one said anything ………. hmmmmmmm. jrSmiley_19_smiley_image.gif

Ostrich is great too !

Kavika
Professor Principal
10  Kavika     6 years ago

Roo meat is excellent and a very healthy alternative to beef. It's a common meat in Aussie.