╌>

Muslim Americans raise more than $120,000 for those affected by Pittsburgh synagogue shooting

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  6 years ago  •  28 comments

Muslim Americans raise more than $120,000 for those affected by Pittsburgh synagogue shooting
“We just want to know what you need ... If it’s people outside your next service protecting you, let us know. We’ll be there.”

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Oct. 29, 2018 / 3:55 PM EDT

By   Reynaldo Leanos, Jr. and Rima Abdelkader

A Muslim American group has raised more than $125,000 through an   online crowdfunding campaign   to help families affected by Saturday's mass shooting at a synagogue in Pittsburgh, which killed at least 11.

CelebrateMercy , one of the organizers of the campaign, told NBC News that the money will assist families with medical bills, funeral expenses and other immediate and short-term needs.

Tarek El-Messidi, the group’s founding director, says his hope through the fundraiser is "to respond to evil with good.”

"We’re really hoping to help the community that’s suffering," El-Messidi said. “We’re hoping to inspire more interfaith collaboration and peace.”

Robert Bowers is accused of killing 11 people during Saturday services at the Tree of Life synagogue in Pittsburgh’s Squirrel hill neighborhood. He   was charged Monday with 29 felony counts , including 11 counts of use of a firearm to commit murder and 11 counts of obstruction of the exercise of religious beliefs resulting in death.

El-Messidi said CelebrateMercy will immediately begin transferring money to the Islamic Center of Pittsburgh, its local partner, which will work directly with the synagogue and distribute funds to the families.

“We just want to know what you need,” Wasi Mohamed, executive director of the Pittsburgh Islamic center, said during a Sunday news conference. “If it’s people outside your next service protecting you, let us know. We’ll be there.”

The campaign initially aimed to raise $25,000. That goal was surpassed within six hours, according to an update posted to the crowdfunding page. The campaign will continue taking donations until Nov. 7.

Last year, CelebrateMercy also raised more than $160,000 to help repair vandalism at a Jewish cemetery near St. Louis.

"We are tired of being grouped along with the crazies. They scare us just as much as any American,” El-Messidi   said last year , when talking about how the Trump administration appears to mistakenly conflate radical Islamist terror groups like ISIS with peaceful American Muslims. “We need the administration to talk about the 3 million Muslim Americans who just want to pursue life, liberty and happiness just like everyone else here in America."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    6 years ago

At least from something horrible something good comes from it. A whole community coming together in the face of evil. 

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
1.1  Skrekk  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    6 years ago

I remember there were some Jewish groups which helped out after the mosque bombing in Minnesota and the Sikh temple shooting in WI a few years ago.    It's not surprising at all especially since these groups often face persecution from the exact same white nationalists and other right-wing extremists.

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
1.2  lennylynx  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    6 years ago

Now all you have to do is recognize that Donald Trump nurtures that evil and act accordingly! 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.2.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  lennylynx @1.2    6 years ago

Lenny, this is a feel good story. I don't do politics. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    6 years ago

If you wish, I will delete the article about this that I posted yesterday. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.3.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.3    6 years ago

Hi Buzz,

I am sorry that I missed your story Buzz. You can leave it up. This story just caught my eye and it was a toss up between this one and one that was on the negative side, so I went with the happy one.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.3.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.3.1    6 years ago

Surely you're not implying that the story I posted was on the negative side - although I think that the story on the negative side was the tragedy, I hope nobody misinterprets you. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.3.3  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.3.2    6 years ago

Buzz,

I was talking about the toss up being what I posted, not what you posted. Your article is fine. 

shona1
PhD Quiet
2  shona1    6 years ago

Evening..There are good and bad in all races and creeds...In times of trouble, many step forward to shine a light through the darkness....

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     6 years ago

I remember their donations during the St Louis incident. Kudos to them and to all that reach out to help others in time of need. 

Enoch
Masters Quiet
4  Enoch    6 years ago

Dear Friends: What this virtuous group is doing in Pittsburgh for Kehillat Etz Chayim (Congregation Tree of Life) is mainstream in Islam.

The Basic tenants of Islam are the Arkan (Five Pillars of the Faith).

The third is Zakat (giving of Alms - Charity). The raising of funds to help others in need is bedrock belief in mainstream Islam.

The role of charity and good deeds as acts of loving kindness are central to both Islam and Judaism (and many other religions, spiritualities, and humanitarian philosophies). 

In Judaism for the sake of three things will the Holy One, Blessed be rewrite what He has in store for us in the coming year.

Tefilah, Teshuvan Veh Tzaddakah. Prayer Repentance and Charity.

When the chips are down, the best in us frequently comes out.

Not by denying, rather by applying the way we live. 

I sited this group's good work in my original discussion thread on this site Todah Rabbah (Many Thanks).

Those who come to the aid of others different than themselves are very deserving of praise.

They concentrate on helping when and as needed and wanted. Not in spite of, rather because of diverse beliefs, starting with their own.

We need more of that to overcome bigotry, prejudice, persecution and all the harm that comes with implementing the by products of that misconduct.

Let love without cause win out over irrational hatred. 

Peace and Abundant Blessings to One and All Here, and Everywhere.

Enoch.      

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Enoch @4    6 years ago

Hi Enoch,

I am sorry that I missed your article and will have to come by and read it. You always have such worthy articles. 

Enoch
Masters Quiet
4.1.1  Enoch  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.1    6 years ago

Dear Friend Perrie: Many thanks for the kind words. 

We look forward to learning from and being inspired by your contribution to that discussion thread.

Peace and Abundant Blessings Always to You and Yours.

Enoch.

CM
Freshman Silent
5  CM    6 years ago

Wonderful  News..

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6  Trout Giggles    6 years ago

This is such a kind thing to do and a great way to reach out to another religious faith

luther28
Sophomore Silent
8  luther28    6 years ago

These are the kind of things that take place when we take the time to remember we are all people. There is nothing further for me to add,  CelebrateMercy has said it all.

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
9  Spikegary    6 years ago

I was very impressed with this man's speech and the hand of friendship he has offered.  We can all learn from him how to be better human beings.