╌>

Sharice Davids makes history: Kansas’ 1st Native American woman in Congress!

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  6 years ago  •  42 comments

Sharice Davids makes history: Kansas’ 1st Native American woman in Congress!
Davids will be the first Native American woman to serve in Congress — a distinction she shared with New Mexico’s Deb Haaland, who also won Tuesday .

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Sharice Davids raised her arms in victory Tuesday night in Olathe after winning the

3rd Congressional District race.  She defeated incumbent Republican Kevin Yoder.

John Sleezer   jsleezer@kcstar.com

Kansas voters made history Tuesday when they selected Sharice Davids to be their next congresswoman.

Davids, a member of the Ho-Chunk Nation, will be the first Native American woman to serve in Congress — a distinction she shared with New Mexico’s Deb Haaland, who also won Tuesday — and the first openly LGBT person to represent the state of Kansas.

The political newcomer defeated four-term incumbent Republican Rep. Kevin Yoder to capture Kansas’ 3rd Congressional District.

It’s the first time a Democrat has won the suburban Kansas City seat in a decade.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    6 years ago

“We have the opportunity to reset expectations about what people think when they think of Kansas,” Davids said during her victory speech before hundreds of supporters at the Embassy Suites in Olathe. “We know there are so many of us who welcome everyone, who see everyone and who know that everyone should have the opportunity to succeed.”

With 616 of 628 precincts reporting, Davids had 54 percent of the vote to Yoder’s 44 percent.

Davids’ campaign benefited from anger against Republican President Donald Trump. 

It’s the first time a Democrat has won the suburban Kansas City seat in a decade.

Thank you, Donald Trump! jrSmiley_2_smiley_image.png

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Krishna    6 years ago

Dorothy I have a feeling we're not in Kansas any more!

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
3  Raven Wing    6 years ago

Indeed this is a very joyous event for all Native Americans. And the historic event is a double play.  In New Mexico, Deb Haaland became the first Native American woman to chair a state political party. Now, the former Democratic chair has also become the first Native American congresswoman in the US, along with Davids.

Not only did two Native Americans win election to Congress, but, both are women! Hopefully, this is will encourage more Native American women, and men, to dare to run for a seat in Congress. 

There are many Native Americans celebrating this historic event, and this Cherokee is one of them.  jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4  TᵢG    6 years ago

I had no idea.   What took so long?

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
4.1  Raven Wing  replied to  TᵢG @4    6 years ago

Mainly the historic prejudice and lack of knowledge and facts about Native American people. Many people still see them as drunken low-life, uneducated, and their hands out for free handouts from the Government. Some even still think they should be totally exterminated. 

So it has been a very long, tedious and dangerous trek over the many years to reach this point in time when some people are willing to recognize they are also human beings who also have value. 

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
5  Dismayed Patriot    6 years ago

Look at those guns! That's what it looks like when you have strong leadership. She could kick Trumps ass with one hand tied behind her back. His supporters always say Trumps a fighter, but the reality is his flabby sack of worthless moron couldn't go half a round with most of his political opponents, he has to pick on tiny cookie elves like Sessions to feel like he's not the weak yellow bellied piece of crap he is. All Trump ever "punches" back with is calling other people names just like every playground bully. "Low energy Jeb" "Low IQ Maxine Waters" "Little Marco" "ugly" "Crazy Joe" "Sleepy Joe" "Little Michael Bloomberg" "Da Nang Richard" Sleepin Bob Casey" "Crooked Hillary' "Lyin Hillary" "Nasty Woman" "Slimeball James Comey" "Liddle Bob Corker" (Can't even spell 'little') "Lyin Ted", "Crazy Bernie" "Cryin Chuck" and the list goes on and on and on. I didn't even get half way through the "domestic political figures list" of Trump childish name calling. I'm curious as to what derogatory nickname he'll eventually come up with for this strong native American woman, and then I'd love to see her metaphorically knock the shit out of him as he inevitably will disrespect her and her heritage. It's like he can't help himself. He truly is the real live version of Eric Cartman from Southpark. So immensely selfish and narcissistic that he can't even fathom why others aren't worshiping the ground he walks upon. In Trumps case, he found enough half wits and morons to support him he has the illusion of being loved, but they'll all turn on him when they realize he's just using them and taking them for all they're worth.

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
5.1  lennylynx  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @5    6 years ago

They'll turn on him?  You actually think 'all' of Trump's supporters will turn on him??  Either they will never realize he's using them, or they already do but don't care.  Trumpism is a cult, and Trump's brainwashed fools will worship him until the day they die.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
5.1.1  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  lennylynx @5.1    6 years ago
You actually think 'all' of Trump's supporters will turn on him?

They'll have no choice just like when Nixon was carted off in shame. That's when even Nixon's supporters turned on him and said they never trusted him in the first place. They're weak minded, easily manipulated opportunists so of course they will eventually turn on the hand that's been feeding them, but it will be too late. 

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
5.1.2  lennylynx  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @5.1.1    6 years ago

It's different this time, much more cultish.  His supporters will love Trump forever for his birtherism.  If any of them ever turn on Trump, it will be less than half of them at best.

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1.3  seeder  Krishna  replied to  lennylynx @5.1    6 years ago
They'll turn on him?  You actually think 'all' of Trump's supporters will turn on him??  Either they will never realize he's using them, or they already do but don't care.  Trumpism is a cult, and Trump's brainwashed fools will worship him until the day they die.

Most.

But while Trump demands unwavering loyalty from supporters, that doesn't go both ways. As he continues to publicly humiliate many fellow Republicans (jeff Sessions being a prime example)... Trump himself feels no need to be loyal to his fellow Republicans! (Little by little soon his Sparrows are going to come home to roost)

Trump's Hypocritical Double Standards When It Comes To Demanding "Loyalty"  (Link)

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.2  Kavika   replied to  Dismayed Patriot @5    6 years ago

She fought as a professional MMA fighter in addition to being a graduate of Cornell Law School.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.2.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika @5.2    6 years ago

That explains the arms. And she's smart as well. She's the whole package.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
5.2.2  MrFrost  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.2.1    6 years ago

And she is easy on the eyes as well. 

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
6  lennylynx    6 years ago

Raven would have made a better one...

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
6.1  Raven Wing  replied to  lennylynx @6    6 years ago

Thank you for the very kind vote of confidence, Lenny. jrSmiley_16_smiley_image.gif

But, truthfully, I would not want to go to Congress. There is a lot that can be done at the lower levels that can have a big impact as well. My total admiration for both ladies is for their courage and determination to fight the good fight, and achieve success. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
7  Kavika     6 years ago

This election cycle 113 Native American ran for public office at all levels of Government. Shraice Davids and Deb Haagland are two marque names and were elected to the United States House of Representatives. (I love typing that). 

It's interesting to note that a republican district leader made a comment about Davids that was very racists. ''Send her back to the reservation''...He lost his job. 

Peggy Flanagan (White Earth Ojibwe) became the first Native American women in MN to be elected Lt. Governor. 

Many natives won their bids but being at local levels not much is heard about them. Be assured that natives will in greater number keep running for public office. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
7.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Kavika @7    6 years ago
Be assured that natives will in greater number keep running for public office. 

As they should. And encourage other Native Americans to do the same. 

Steve Ott
Professor Quiet
8  Steve Ott    6 years ago

A true American. About time Native America got a voice in how their lives are ruled.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.1  Texan1211  replied to  Steve Ott @8    6 years ago

She is no more of a "true" American than I am.

That said, it was a good win for her.

Krishna
Professor Expert
8.1.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Texan1211 @8.1    6 years ago
She is no more of a "true" American than I am.

Why are you saying that you are not a true American?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  Krishna @8.1.1    6 years ago

Please read it again.

I certainly did NOT say that.

Quote me if you sincerely think I did, because that is NOT what I am reading.

Let me repeat it for you:

She is no MORE of a "true" American than I am.

If you assume she is an American, (and she is) then LOGIC would dictate that I am TOO.

SMMFH

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
8.1.3  1stwarrior  replied to  Texan1211 @8.1    6 years ago

And while your family in Europe was still living in caves 30,000 years ago, her family was on this continent 30,000 years ago.  Since this section of the Western continent has been "named" America, I would guess that your family was/is the visitor and hers is/was the host to your family - probably very unwillingly.

Yeah, I know, semantics - most people have no idea of the Native American heritage/traditions/history and why the indigenous peoples of this country are, along with the Canadian/Central/South Americans, called "true" - i.e. - they were here first and have/will make tremendous contributions to this country. 

And, regardless of how hard the "Euros" and others have tried to decimate us for the past 526 years - it ain't gonna happen.  You can look forward to seeing many more Native Americans getting into the political world and, believe me, changes will be made.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  1stwarrior @8.1.3    6 years ago

Well, that is just great.

I never expressed anything bad about the woman or any other Indian person.

I simply stated a FACT--she is no MORE an American than I am.

Got a problem with that, too bad.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
8.1.5  MrFrost  replied to  Krishna @8.1.1    6 years ago
Why are you saying that you are not a true American?

Most trump supporters aren't true Americans. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.1.6  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @8.1.5    6 years ago

No one stated such nonsense. He CLEARLY did not understand what I wrote.

Maybe you can read my post and tell me where I stated anything remotely like that.

or do you not understand what I have written twice now?

Steve Ott
Professor Quiet
8.1.7  Steve Ott  replied to  Texan1211 @8.1    6 years ago

The founding fathers didn't consider her people true americans either. So what, exactly, is your issue with the statement? Does it always bother you that others are sometimes referred to as 'true' americans and you aren't?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.1.8  Texan1211  replied to  Steve Ott @8.1.7    6 years ago
The founding fathers didn't consider her people true americans either.

I consider her a true American.

What I don't do is consider her any more of an American than anyone other American.

And why on earth wouldn't I be considered a true American?

That's absurd!

Steve Ott
Professor Quiet
8.1.9  Steve Ott  replied to  Texan1211 @8.1.8    6 years ago
And why on earth wouldn't I be considered a true American?

Perhaps for the same reason that although I was born and have lived most of my life in Texas, many don't consider me a true Texan. All depends on how you want to define the 'true' part.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.1.10  Texan1211  replied to  Steve Ott @8.1.9    6 years ago

Well, I don't let idiot's opinion of me being a "true" American (or Texan) affect me so much.

Native Americans are no more "true" Americans than I am. 

I am no more "true" American than any other US citizen.

Not sure why so many insist on labels instead of simply referring to us all as Americans.

bugsy
Professor Participates
8.1.11  bugsy  replied to  Texan1211 @8.1.10    6 years ago

I understand what you are saying. Some believe that because there were people who settled this land long before Europeans came here makes those people more American that those who came later. Problem is, there was no such thing as The United States of America until 1776, long AFTER those people came from the Bering Straits.

That being said, no one was American until that time. Every single person in this country natural born or through the legal test of citizenship since then makes each person equal Americans, unless someone can point out a document the Natives had that declared this land America with laws and borders.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.1.12  Texan1211  replied to  bugsy @8.1.11    6 years ago

Exactly.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
9  It Is ME    6 years ago

Is she worthy of praise because of her heritage....or because of her stance on political views !

Just wondering .

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.1  Texan1211  replied to  It Is ME @9    6 years ago

Well, some seem to think she is a special American because of her heritage.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
9.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  Texan1211 @9.1    6 years ago

That's what it sounds like !

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
9.1.2  Raven Wing  replied to  Texan1211 @9.1    6 years ago

She is. Anything wrong with that? Being the First woman of her heritage to be voted to Congress is special. Thus, SHE is special. And so are the others who are first time winners of their heritage. 

Skrekk
Sophomore Participates
9.1.3  Skrekk  replied to  Raven Wing @9.1.2    6 years ago

I wonder if Trump's many misogynistic comments and his racist comments about "Pocahontas" etc had any impact on Davids' election by such a wide margin?    She seems like a great candidate regardless.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  Raven Wing @9.1.2    6 years ago

That is merely opinion.

You are welcome to your own, but I don't hold the view that someone is "special" because they win an election. Sorry.

It was a good win for her, and I am not denying or belittling that win. Just saying it isn't special in my eyes because lots of folks win elections.

I don't buy into that whole theory that someone is special because of their heritage. Not a damn one of us ever picked our ancestors.

Galen Marvin Ross
Sophomore Participates
9.1.5  Galen Marvin Ross  replied to  Skrekk @9.1.3    6 years ago
I wonder if Trump's many misogynistic comments and his racist comments about "Pocahontas" etc had any impact on Davids' election by such a wide margin?    She seems like a great candidate regardless.

I think it had a lot to do with the person she ran against, the last time he spent any time in Kansas was the last political race he was in, he has his home in Washington D.C. now so, he doesn't really represent the people of Kansas any more.

bugsy
Professor Participates
10  bugsy    6 years ago

In all fairness, Elizabeth Warren was the first Native American voted into Congress...er....wait....never mind.