╌>

How Much Respect Does The Press Owe President Trump?

Category:  News & Politics

By:  lets-get-lost  •  6 years ago  •  104 comments

We should respect the office, we all say from time to time, unless you are anarchic or anti-social and then you might say no office or title need be respected. But generally we believe that people who have earned a title should be addressed with some level of respect. 

What about Trump, the President of the United States?  He has called reporters names, said they bleed from "whatever" , says they are fake, encouraged his followers to boo them, shouts at them, and generally constantly puts the press down. 

What level of respect should they return to President* Trump. Are they duty bound to respect the office as much when someone like Trump holds it? 

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  author  JohnRussell    6 years ago

I think Trump has lost the right to the highest level of respect from the press and media, and everyone else. 

It doesn't bother me a bit when the press gives him a hard time.

Frankly, the press has been far too easy on Trump for the past 3 1/2 years, and I could even go back to his birther days. No reporter asked him "what the hell is wrong with you? why are you doing this?"

No reporter that I know of has asked him flat out why he lies so much. This question should have been put point blank to him by now. Lesley Stahl has had extended one on one interviews with Trump twice now, and to my knowledge she has never asked him "why do you lie so much?" 

If the media had been tough with him from the beginning we might have been spared all this. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @1    6 years ago
Frankly, the press has been far too easy on Trump for the past 3 1/2 years

Good god!   The deluded nature of that comment alone is astronomical.

Lol, yeah.   The press has been Trumps best buddy the last two - three years.  

Do you realize how silly you sound?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Sparty On @1.1    6 years ago

Point me to one interview where Trump was asked why he lies so much?

This is a man who has lied 6000 times in the past 2 years. 

No reporter that I know of asks him why he lies.

They go very easy on him. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.2  TᵢG  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.1    6 years ago

If a reporter asked Trump why he lies the answer (almost certainly) will be:  'I do not lie; check your facts better and you will see that what I say is the truth'.   Or something like that.   I think the reporters know that and do not bother to waste their time.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1.3  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.1    6 years ago
 They go very easy on him. 

Maybe in your reality but not in the real world.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.1.4  Ozzwald  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.1    6 years ago
No reporter that I know of asks him why he lies. They go very easy on him. 

On top of that, no reporter challenges him on his lies.  They ask a question and he either deflects, or lies, and they let him.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2  devangelical  replied to  JohnRussell @1    6 years ago

trumplethinskin walked into that presser with a chip on his shoulder. finding out earlier from jefferson beauregard that there's going to be at least 2 jailbirds in his family real soon must have been a bitter pill to swallow for mushroom dick, knowing that a pardon means curtains in 2020, if complicity in the biggest bank heist in history doesn't bring him down first. bwah ha ha ha

Tacos!
Professor Guide
1.3  Tacos!  replied to  JohnRussell @1    6 years ago
the press has been far too easy on Trump for the past 3 1/2 years

The coverage of Trump is 80%-90% (or more) negative . This has been documented repeatedly. Obama's coverage was glowing by comparison. Even if you think that coverage is earned, I don't think you can say they have been "far too easy" on him.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.3.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Tacos! @1.3    6 years ago

It would not be hard at all to make a case that Trump should have almost 100% negative coverage. He's not qualified to be president of the United States. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.3.2  Tessylo  replied to  Tacos! @1.3    6 years ago

What's positive to be reported about Rump?

zuksam
Junior Silent
1.3.3  zuksam  replied to  JohnRussell @1.3.1    6 years ago
He's not qualified to be president of the United States.

He was Elected and that's the one and only qualification to be the President.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.3.4  author  JohnRussell  replied to  zuksam @1.3.3    6 years ago

No it's not. 

If Pee Wee Herman got elected president would you say he is qualified ? 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
1.3.5  Tacos!  replied to  Tessylo @1.3.2    6 years ago

Lots of things. I'd educate you, but you have a history of ignoring links and facts. You also like to tell other people to do their own homework. So, good luck.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.3.6  Texan1211  replied to  Tacos! @1.3.5    6 years ago

jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gifjrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gif

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
1.3.7  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Tacos! @1.3.5    6 years ago
Lots of things.

Judging by the results of last Tuesday, the majority of Americans disagree. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.3.8  Trout Giggles  replied to  JohnRussell @1.3.4    6 years ago

How many of these same people disputed Obama's qualifications to be president?

"Community organizer????? How the hell does that qualify somebody to be president????"

Remember, John?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.3.9  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.3.8    6 years ago

I feel sorry for the mentality of people who believe they can compare Trump to Obama. The only thing they have in common is that they won the presidency. 

user image
Freshman Silent
1.3.10    replied to  JohnRussell @1.3.9    6 years ago
The only thing they have in common is that they won the presidency. 

E.A    errr Pardon, How did " They Win It "??

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.3.11  Trout Giggles  replied to  JohnRussell @1.3.9    6 years ago

Trump constantly compares himself to Obama. LOL!

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.3.12  Ozzwald  replied to  Tacos! @1.3.5    6 years ago

Lots of things. I'd educate you, but you have a history of ignoring links and facts. You also like to tell other people to do their own homework. So, good luck.

So, you couldn't find any either?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
1.3.13  Tacos!  replied to  Ozzwald @1.3.12    6 years ago

I wrote using English words. I thought that would have helped you understand it. Typical leftist, though, wants to try to change the meanings of those words. This is probably a big reason why you're confused about so many things.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.3.14  Ozzwald  replied to  Tacos! @1.3.13    6 years ago
I wrote using English words. I thought that would have helped you understand it. Typical leftist, though, wants to try to change the meanings of those words. This is probably a big reason why you're confused about so many things.

Just means you should stop making statements you cannot support.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.3.15  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.3.11    6 years ago
'Trump constantly compares himself to Obama. LOL!'

And there's no comparison.  Rump falls short in every regard.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.3.16  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @1.3.9    6 years ago
The only thing they have in common is that they won the presidency. 

Glad you finally admit that!

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.3.17  Ozzwald  replied to  Greg Jones @1.3.16    6 years ago

Glad you finally admit that!

Funny, I have never seen John claim that Trump wasn't POTUS.  I have seen him state the FACT that Trump did not win the popular vote, but I have never seen him question Trump's legitimacy of POTUS.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  JohnRussell @1    6 years ago

I think if the press would just ignore him we wouldn't be drowning in trmp 24 -7.

I wished they had ignored him back in 2015....

Ender
Professor Principal
1.4.1  Ender  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.4    6 years ago

No kidding. The press gave him all the free advertising and campaigning he needed.

luther28
Sophomore Silent
1.4.2  luther28  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.4    6 years ago
I think if the press would just ignore him we wouldn't be drowning in trmp 24 -7. I wished they had ignored him back in 2015....

Yes indeed, it was the media attention that elected Him. The News industry needs to get back to their jobs, reporting the news. Not treating it as entertainment nor an infomercial, just the news and we'll figure it out ourselves.

In their defense though as to the 24-7 coverage, when He acts as He does it is tough not to.

zuksam
Junior Silent
1.5  zuksam  replied to  JohnRussell @1    6 years ago

Nobody including the Press has to respect Trump or the Office but if they attend a Whitehouse event like a Press Conference there are rules they have to follow and they must conduct themselves respectfully. They don't have to like Trump, they can even Hate him but while they are at a Whitehouse function they do not have the same rights as they do hanging out on a street corner or in their own home.

Ender
Professor Principal
1.5.1  Ender  replied to  zuksam @1.5    6 years ago

Last I heard, the White House is our house. Not trumps.

zuksam
Junior Silent
1.5.2  zuksam  replied to  Ender @1.5.1    6 years ago
Not trumps.

The rules, procedures, and codes of conduct at Whitehouse Press Conferences were in place long before Trump took office and Reporters don't get to ignore them just because they don't like Trump. Access to Whitehouse Press Conferences is by Invitation, only the very few get to attend and for every Attendee there are hundreds who would like access but are denied so if a Reporter can't conduct themselves respectfully then there are plenty of Reporters who would love to take their place and are willing to act accordingly.

Ender
Professor Principal
1.5.3  Ender  replied to  zuksam @1.5.2    6 years ago
The rules, procedures, and codes of conduct at Whitehouse Press Conferences

Do you have a link to these rules? I can't seem to find it.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.5.4  Ozzwald  replied to  zuksam @1.5.2    6 years ago
The rules, procedures, and codes of conduct at Whitehouse Press Conferences were in place long before Trump took office and Reporters don't get to ignore them just because they don't like Trump.

What are the rules regarding how Trump is supposed to treat the guests he invited into "his house"?

cms5
Freshman Quiet
1.6  cms5  replied to  JohnRussell @1    6 years ago

I think you give too much credit to the 'press and media'. They no longer behave as journalists.

Reporters of today's MSM would never 'respect' anyone other than themselves and whomever they prefer. The styles of the Far Right AND the Far Left are now meeting in the middle...drama sells.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.6.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  cms5 @1.6    6 years ago

Oh, c'mon on! Rancor from the press is nothing new. Ever hear of yellow journalism? William Randolph Hearst made a mint knowing that the American public loves drama

cms5
Freshman Quiet
1.6.2  cms5  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.6.1    6 years ago

Of course, we can't expect a high level of journalistic standards from yellow journalists...my bad. Tabloids....carry on! No respect necessary!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.6.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  cms5 @1.6.2    6 years ago

That isn't what I meant.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.7  author  JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell @1    6 years ago

Trump is holding a fairly long (20 minutes) impromptu press conference underneath his rotating helicopter blades. He just told a specific reporter "You ask a lot of stupid questions" .

He doesn't deserve much respect. I won't quite say none because I do think the office of the presidency should be given a bare minimum of respect itself, but Trump adds very little to that respect. Almost nothing. 

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
1.8  SteevieGee  replied to  JohnRussell @1    6 years ago

Respect, whether for the POTUS or for the lowliest of beggars, is always earned never OWED.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2  It Is ME    6 years ago

No so-called "Reporter" deserves ANYTHING anymore !

“All we want are the facts" ....not some embellished story like is the norm anymore !

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
2.1  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  It Is ME @2    6 years ago
“All we want are the facts"

That's hilarious considering how often the guy you support lies. The reporters in the room were asking questions, not making erroneous statements like the President was. They were trying to get to the facts but that's the last thing this President wants. He wants to control the narrative, to tell a fanciful story about his amazing, perfect, incredible, flawless administration where nary a bad decision is ever made, and everything is roses all the time. And strangely, his followers eat it up because they prefer the false narrative to the truth. Truth makes them feel responsible for things, makes them feel guilty about their prejudices and self-centered ideology, makes them feel guilty about being protectionist xenophobes who ridicule higher education because they're simply too lazy to spend any time learning facts, especially when facts are often at odds with their comforting preconceived false beliefs.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @2.1    6 years ago
That's hilarious considering how often the guy you support lies.

"Let the reporter or politician that is without sin among them, let them cast the first stone at anyone" ! 

Wonder which one would truthfully be able to jump at that chance. jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
2.1.2  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  It Is ME @2.1.1    6 years ago
"Let the reporter or politician that is without sin among them, let them cast the first stone at anyone" !

Comparing Trumps thousands of blatant fact checked lies to the average politician or journalists occasional polishing of the truth or only presenting selective facts is like comparing the guy down the street who knows where you can pick up an eighth of weed to the head of a multi-million dollar drug cartel running thousands of pounds of heroin and cocaine. They're no where near the same league as the king of falsehoods, Donald Trump.

devangelical
Professor Principal
3  devangelical    6 years ago

Respect and decorum are 2 way streets. Based upon his past activities, trump deserves neither, from virtually anyone.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1  Sparty On  replied to  devangelical @3    6 years ago
Respect and decorum are 2 way streets

Yeah and using that logic (the two way street gambit) neither does the liberal left or the media.

Either way it's stupid sentiment since it accomplishes nothing positive either way.

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.1.1  devangelical  replied to  Sparty On @3.1    6 years ago

trump gets what he gives. fuck that lying pile of shit.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  devangelical @3.1.1    6 years ago

Hey! I respect you! But you've earned it from me.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.3  Sparty On  replied to  devangelical @3.1.1    6 years ago

Your two way street ideal. so same goes for that reporter.   Reporter my ass.   More like liberal propaganda minster.   Joseph Goebbels would be proud of that communist news network POS.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.4  Sparty On  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.2    6 years ago

Hilarious!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.5  Trout Giggles  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.3    6 years ago
Joseph Goebbels would be proud of that communist news network POS.

Well, hell, and here I was thinking how proud Old Joe would be of Sarah Sanders......

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.6  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.3    6 years ago

What has CNN ever shown that promotes communism ? 

JBB
Professor Principal
3.1.7  JBB  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.5    6 years ago

Old Joe Stalin and Olde Joe McCarthy would both love Sarah...

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.8  Ender  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.5    6 years ago

Yep. Now we have trumps press secretary showing doctored videos from infowars.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.9  Trout Giggles  replied to  Ender @3.1.8    6 years ago

She should resign right now

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.10  Trout Giggles  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.3    6 years ago
Joseph Goebbels would be proud of that communist news network POS.

I don't know how I missed this the first time around, but methinks you need a refresher course in political science

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.11  Sparty On  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.10    6 years ago

I never claimed one was related to the other.   Are all propaganda ministers communists?

Methinks you need a refresher course in reading and hyperbole comprehension.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.12  Trout Giggles  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.11    6 years ago

Don't back track now. Goebbels was a fascist. Why would he be proud of a communist news agency?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.13  Sparty On  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.12    6 years ago

Lol, no one is back tracking.

I've likely forgetten more about military history than you have never known.   it was a minor of mine in college after all.   That said I highly recommend the refresher courses i've suggested for you.

But don't change, you are hilarious!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.14  Trout Giggles  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.13    6 years ago

What does military history have to with political science? And, yes, you probably do, but I'm pretty certain I know more about a lot of things more than you do. Again? What does that have to do with what we're discussing?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.15  Sparty On  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.14    6 years ago
And, yes, you probably do, but I'm pretty certain I know more about a lot of things more than you do.

I'm sure you do on certain things.   As i do on certain things related to you.   WTF does that have to do with this discussion?

Again? What does that have to do with what we're discussing?

Really?   I need to explain that to you?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.16  Trout Giggles  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.15    6 years ago

I asked you first.

Anyway, I'm leaving this convo before I get yelled at for going off-topic

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3.2  Tacos!  replied to  devangelical @3    6 years ago
Based upon his past activities, trump deserves neither, from virtually anyone.

I don't claim to be perfect at it, but I do try to abide by my own standards and not throw them away just because other people behave a certain way. So even if we accept the premise that Trump "started it" or whatever, that doesn't give the press license to react in kind. They have a duty to present the public with the truth, not get into a slap fight with the president.

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.2.1  devangelical  replied to  Tacos! @3.2    6 years ago

so basically what you're saying is trump can call people out, but no one should call him out. fuck that and fuck him.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.2.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  devangelical @3.2.1    6 years ago

That's what it sounds like to me, too. The orange baby man can call them the enemy of the people but they better just roll over and play dead and not fight back

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.2.3  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.2.2    6 years ago

just like his employees

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3.2.4  Tacos!  replied to  devangelical @3.2.1    6 years ago

I afford the same privilege to you.

Phoenyx13
Sophomore Silent
3.2.5  Phoenyx13  replied to  Tacos! @3.2    6 years ago
So even if we accept the premise that Trump "started it" or whatever, that doesn't give the press license to react in kind. They have a duty to present the public with the truth, not get into a slap fight with the president

so he should be allowed the privilege of calling the Press the "enemy of the people" and they should still schmooze him as much as possible in your opinion ?? it seems many people are upset over negative news coverage of Trump - is any of that news coverage actually the truth (even if negative) ?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3.2.6  Tacos!  replied to  Phoenyx13 @3.2.5    6 years ago

You're missing the point. The point is Trump's behavior doesn't define standards of behavior for anyone else. Members of the media are responsible for their own behavior and no part of it is excused or justified because of anything Trump says.

Phoenyx13
Sophomore Silent
3.2.7  Phoenyx13  replied to  Tacos! @3.2.6    6 years ago
You're missing the point. The point is Trump's behavior doesn't define standards of behavior for anyone else. Members of the media are responsible for their own behavior and no part of it is excused or justified because of anything Trump says.

thanks for not answering my questions - would you care to try again

so he should be allowed the privilege of calling the Press the "enemy of the people" and they should still schmooze him as much as possible in your opinion ?? it seems many people are upset over negative news coverage of Trump - is any of that news coverage actually the truth (even if negative) ?

(i reposted them for you to make it easier to find them. Isn't that what people do in discussions - answer questions that are asked in the order asked and talk back and forth ?)
if someone is disrespectful to you - are you allowed to return the favor or not ? Trump has branded the Press as the "enemy of the people", yet it seems you think they should be happy for that kind of treatment and kiss his feet.
Do you think respect to should be earned and not given ? 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.2.8  sandy-2021492  replied to  Tacos! @3.2.6    6 years ago
The point is Trump's behavior doesn't define standards of behavior for anyone else.

When has any member of the press called Trump a rude, nasty person to his face?  Or told him he "asks a lot of stupid questions"?  Or called him the enemy of the people?  Or told somebody that anybody who body-slams the President is "his kind of guy"? 

The press has consistently behaved to higher standards than Trump.  You are implying that the press is engaging in bad behavior which has not occurred, at least on the part of the press.  Your false accusation does not go unnoticed.

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
3.2.9  lennylynx  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.2.8    6 years ago

Here's what the press should ask him:  "Mr. President?  Seeing as you are obviously a pathological liar and life-long scam artist, your administration is the most corrupt by far in American history, and you, sir, are nothing but a babbling idiot and complete ignoramus, why don't you do us all a favor and simply step down?"

Why don't they, and what would be wrong with asking that?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.2.10  Trout Giggles  replied to  lennylynx @3.2.9    6 years ago

Not a goddamned thing and if I could get a press pass I would do it!

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.2.11  sandy-2021492  replied to  lennylynx @3.2.9    6 years ago
Why don't they, and what would be wrong with asking that?

Because they're holding themselves to higher standards than those to which he holds himself, contrary to the insinuations of some.

It would be fun to watch, though.  He'd have the meltdowns he has when Alec Baldwin mocks him, but not behind White House walls.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3.2.12  Tacos!  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.2.8    6 years ago
When has any member of the press called Trump a rude, nasty person 

Well, at the Acosta press conference, another reporter asked him if claiming to be a nationalist was really a dog whistle for white supremacists. I can't believe that is an honest question for intelligent people. This reporter and all the others know somewhere deep in their brains that nationalism is a component of fascism and white supremacy, but that's all. It's also a component of many other philosophies of government. All fascists might be nationalists, but most nationalists are not fascist.

The reporters know this but they bandy the question about as if it were a serious topic.

to his face?

Does it make a difference if they call him Hitler to his face or behind his back on national television? Is it somehow ok if they don't do it to his face? At least if they do it to his face, he has a chance to respond at the moment. 

These self-righteous journalists call him Hitler and Stalin or just plain evil every night on TV and then when he responds by saying they are mean and unfair to him on Twitter or in press conferences, they put on the puppy dog eyes and claim the president is mad at them for no good reason.

The press has consistently behaved to higher standards than Trump.  You are implying that the press is engaging in bad behavior which has not occurred, at least on the part of the press.  Your false accusation does not go unnoticed.

Watch this video. It's a compilation of these insane "journalists" trying to terrify their viewers with talk of world-ending calamity and characterization of Trump - and his supporters - as evil, racist, dictator, unhinged, etc. This is your idea of a "high standard?"

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.2.13  sandy-2021492  replied to  Tacos! @3.2.12    6 years ago
Does it make a difference if they call him Hitler to his face or behind his back on national television?

Who has called him Hitler on national TV?  Honest question, as I don't watch much TV.  Same for Stalin, or just plain evil.

Trump calling himself a nationalist, being slow to denounce the support of the likes of David Duke, calling white supremacists "very fine people", and history of refusing to rent his properties to blacks - well, that's all going to invite some uncomfortable questions, Tacos.  And it should.

As far as your video - what did any of them say that Trump hasn't given them reason to say?  He acts unhinged.  He is ignorant.  And really, Tacos, showing footage of a Trump rally with the crowd chanting is insane?  Showing video footage of what people are actually doing and saying is being mean to them?  That sounds awfully familiar.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3.2.14  Tacos!  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.2.13    6 years ago

It's shorter just to share two "trump is hitler" searches.

Trump is Hitler videos

Trump is Hitler in print

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.2.15  sandy-2021492  replied to  Tacos! @3.2.14    6 years ago

Well, Glenn Beck I'll give you.  Conservative, isn't he?

But SNL is not the press.  Neither are Bill Maher nor Michael Moore.

Really, Glenn Beck is the only member of the press (and that's a stretch, frankly) who came up anywhere near the top of the search.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4  Tacos!    6 years ago
has never asked him "why do you lie so much?" 

They have no problem calling him a liar when he's not sitting right next to them, but you're right that they don't call him that to his face. I think there are reasons for that. 

If you're going to accuse someone to their face of lying (or criminally, to use a different example, of perjury), you want to be really sure that the person perceived and knew something as factual and then deliberately said something they knew to be false. In that way, it becomes more serious and very hard to prove. At the level of the president, you want to be particularly careful.

For people generally, there always exists the possibility that the accused simply sees things differently than someone else or may even be unaware of something. Many things presented as factual are often opinion. Other times, a sincere person can just be wrong about a thing. Maybe it's ignorance. Maybe it's self-delusion.

Specifically with Trump, when you look at a lot of the stuff he gets challenged on, much of it is kind of petty - like how big a crowd is - or too multifaceted - like if the economy is doing better than ever - to truly be defined as black or white. Few people want to go war over something like that.

Also, let's not forget that all of these politicians can arguably be called liars on a whole host of issues. That doesn't make it ok for Trump, of course, but it does make the media into hypocrites if they aren't fussing about other politicians.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Tacos! @4    6 years ago

I don't think lying about your inauguration crowd size the day after you took office is a petty thing at all. At the least it is indicative of his character. (lack of)

Trump lies about everything. It is true some of it is petty and could possibly called "exaggeration" and some of it is deliberate falsehood. Some of his lies are about important subjects. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.1.1  Tacos!  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1    6 years ago
I don't think lying about your inauguration crowd size the day after you took office is a petty thing at all.

It affects the lives of exactly zero people. That makes it petty.

I think most of the stuff he says that we might classify as bullshit has more to do with whatever Trump-colored lenses he views the world through. Trump is always closing.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Tacos! @4    6 years ago

I would love the opportunity to ask him to his face "why do you lie so much"

and then top it off with this "Do you know your dick gets shorter with every lie you utter?"

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.2.1  Tacos!  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.2    6 years ago
I would love the opportunity to ask him to his face "why do you lie so much"

I think I could guarantee you he would say he never lies and he would believe it.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.2.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Tacos! @4.2.1    6 years ago

I had to give you a vote up for that.

I wonder if I would be escorted out of the White House if I had the audacity to laugh in his face?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.2.3  Tacos!  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.2.2    6 years ago
I wonder if I would be escorted out of the White House if I had the audacity to laugh in his face?

Honestly, I doubt it. I think Trump - as whiny as he is about the media - actually lets a lot of stuff go. Acosta is actually a great example. He didn't get his credentials revoked until he got into a tug of war with an intern. And he'll probably get them back in a few days.

People accuse of him not liking certain questions, and that's true, but he answered Acosta's questions and he does a buttload of interviews, including with a lot of unsupportive media.

Ender
Professor Principal
4.2.4  Ender  replied to  Tacos! @4.2.3    6 years ago

And he was at it again today. Dismissing questions and telling a woman that she only asks stupid questions.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.2.5  Trout Giggles  replied to  Tacos! @4.2.3    6 years ago
as whiny as he is about the media

Some days I just don't know how to read you....

but that's a good thing

JBB
Professor Principal
5  JBB    6 years ago

"Mama always said respect given respect earned" - Forrest Gump...

Trump gets exactly the amount of respect from the press he earns.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
6  Dean Moriarty    6 years ago

The same amount that he owes them. 

Ender
Professor Principal
7  Ender    6 years ago

One thing I will give trump credit for. His lies and performance (his act) stop people from talking about what is actually happening. 

His absurd theatre makes asking real questions almost impossible. He changes the narrative away from what he has done or is doing.

Case in point, today people are talking about the press instead of him appointing someone to the position for AJ that does not legally have the right to be there.

luther28
Sophomore Silent
8  luther28    6 years ago

As much as He gives them, other than addressing Him as Mr. President, none.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
9  MrFrost    6 years ago

Respect is earned, not bestowed. A lesson trump has never learned. He thinks people should respect him because he has money, or is president, etc. Doesn't work that way. I respect the office of the president, but not the man in that office. I could spend a couple of hours explain why I do not respect donny and his family of welfare queens, but, better things to do with my time. 

luther28
Sophomore Silent
9.1  luther28  replied to  MrFrost @9    6 years ago

As an aside, your avatar is quite amusing:)

MrFrost
Professor Expert
9.1.1  MrFrost  replied to  luther28 @9.1    6 years ago

Well thank you, I'm glad you like it. 😀😀

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
10  Buzz of the Orient    6 years ago

If you step on a snake, it's going to turn around and bite you. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
10.1  Sparty On  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @10    6 years ago

And if you lie down with dogs, you get up with fleas

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
10.1.1  lennylynx  replied to  Sparty On @10.1    6 years ago

You got that right [deleted]

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
10.2  Dean Moriarty  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @10    6 years ago

I know the feeling. 

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
11  lennylynx    6 years ago

Trump is a totally self-serving piece of shit and a traitor.  A homeless junkie deserves more respect than Trump ever will.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
12  Thrawn 31    6 years ago

Absolutely none, respect is a 2 way street.

Steve Ott
Professor Quiet
13  Steve Ott    6 years ago

No respect shown, no respect given. End of story.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
14  Sparty On    6 years ago

Jim Acosta is a poor mans Mike Wallace and therefore doesn't deserve the same level of respect as Mike did.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
15  Greg Jones    6 years ago

The media started the war of words, but Trump doesn't need them and goes around them