╌>

TRUMP TAPS INDIAN DAUGHTER OF IMMIGRANTS TO SUCCEED KAVANAUGH ON DC CIRCUIT

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  heartland-american  •  6 years ago  •  27 comments

TRUMP TAPS INDIAN DAUGHTER OF IMMIGRANTS TO SUCCEED KAVANAUGH ON DC CIRCUIT
Speaking at the White House’s Diwali celebration Tuesday, the president said he was slated to make the announcement on Wednesday, but was so delighted by the event he spontaneously decided to reveal Rao’s pending nomination. Diwali is a Hindu religious festival and Rao is Indian-American. “I just nominated Neomi to be on the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals, the seat of Justice Brett Kavanaugh,” Trump said. “We were going to announce that tomorrow, then I said, ‘You know, here we are, Neomi,...

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

President Donald Trump will nominate Neomi Rao, administrator of the Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs (OIRA), for a seat on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit.

Speaking at the White House’s Diwali celebration Tuesday, the president said he was slated to make the announcement on Wednesday, but was so delighted by the event he spontaneously decided to reveal Rao’s pending nomination. Diwali is a Hindu religious festival and Rao is Indian-American.

“I just nominated Neomi to be on the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals, the seat of Justice Brett Kavanaugh,” Trump said. “We were going to announce that tomorrow, then I said, ‘You know, here we are, Neomi, we’re never going to do better than this right?'”

“Thank you very much, Mr. President, for the confidence you’ve shown in me,” Rao replied. “I greatly appreciate it.”

The D.C. Circuit seat in question was vacated following  Justice Brett Kavanaugh’s confirmation  to the  U.S. Supreme Court .

Rao, the daughter of Indian immigrants, has served as the Trump administration’s deregulatory czar since 2017, and is widely considered  a leading authority on agency law . Before re-entering the White House, she founded and led the Center for the Study of the Administrative State at George Mason University’s Antonin Scalia Law School, increasingly a bastion of conservative jurisprudence.

Neomi-Rao-2.jpg

Neomi Rao (C), the administrator of the White House Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs, reacts after U.S. President Donald Trump announced that he is nominating her to replace Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh on the U.S. D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals during a Diwali ceremony at the White House in Washington, U.S. November 13, 2018. REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst

The Center seeks to advance and curate debates over the scope of federal regulatory authority, increasingly a priority for conservative legal scholars and activists who fear agency power has grown such that the regulatory bureaucracy is now its own unaccountable branch of government.  (RELATED: Justice Ginsburg Is On The Mend After A Nasty Fall)

Rao has led the Trump administration to meaningful successes in its vaunted regulatory rollback. She crowed about the administration’s achievements in a Washington Post op-ed on Oct. 21.

“The benefits of deregulation are felt far and wide, from lower consumer prices to more jobs and, in the long run, improvements to quality of life from access to innovative products and services,” Rao wrote. “Eliminating unnecessary and duplicative red tape has helped the Trump administration achieve the lowest unemployment rates in nearly 50 years and dramatic economic growth for our country.”

Conservative legal commentators praised Trump’s pick, as they did when Rao was first named OIRA administrator.

“Ms. Rao’s extensive experience in the field of administrative law will be an asset on the D.C. Circuit, which reviews on appeal the majority of litigation involving the various federal agencies,” said Carrie Severino, chief counsel of the conservative Judicial Crisis Network. “Ms. Rao is also the seventh of President Trump’s court of appeals nominees to have clerked for Justice Clarence Thomas. I look forward to seeing her confirmed.”

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1  seeder  XXJefferson51    6 years ago

“Rao has led the Trump administration to meaningful successes in its vaunted regulatory rollback. She crowed about the administration’s achievements in a Washington Post op-ed on Oct. 21.

“The benefits of deregulation are felt far and wide, from lower consumer prices to more jobs and, in the long run, improvements to quality of life from access to innovative products and services,” Rao wrote. “Eliminating unnecessary and duplicative red tape has helped the Trump administration achieve the lowest unemployment rates in nearly 50 years and dramatic economic growth for our country.”

Conservative legal commentators praised Trump’s pick, as they did when Rao was first named OIRA administrator.

“Ms. Rao’s extensive experience in the field of administrative law will be an asset on the D.C. Circuit, which reviews on appeal the majority of litigation involving the various federal agencies,” said Carrie Severino, chief counsel of the conservative Judicial Crisis Network. “Ms. Rao is also the seventh of President Trump’s court of appeals nominees to have clerked for Justice Clarence Thomas.”

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1  Tessylo  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1    6 years ago

So what?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.1.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Tessylo @1.1    6 years ago

Is that your standard reaction to news articles about the actions our President takes?  

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
1.1.3  Cerenkov  replied to    6 years ago

Yeah. Don't expect too much from her...

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.1.4  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Cerenkov @1.1.3    6 years ago

jrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gifYou both make great points.  Well said.  jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif  The subject of the seed is going to make a great Supreme Court Justice one day.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2  seeder  XXJefferson51    6 years ago

President Trump made an excellent choice in his nomination of Mrs. Rao to the DC Court of Appeals.    She is highly qualified for the job.  

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3  Sean Treacy    6 years ago

Nice selection. 

But did she talk about farting in High School? Democrats need to know!

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
3.1  Jasper2529  replied to  Sean Treacy @3    6 years ago
But did she talk about farting in High School? Democrats need to know!

I'm not sure about farting, but rumor has it that she burped a couple of times in middle school! 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
4  Jasper2529    6 years ago

In addition to Ms. Rao's high qualifications, her nomination is further evidence that Trump is not a racist or a misogynist. 

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
4.1  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Jasper2529 @4    6 years ago
further evidence that Trump is not a racist or a misogynist. 

IMO: president trump will be or say whatever gets him whatever he wants. Then he's not. 

Also IMO: I have never seen any human as good at using anything and anyone to get what he wants in my 60 + years on this planet. That scares me as he is the president. I'd actually prefer a bigot or even a misogynist instead. At least they deal more in reality in most things. 

and that's so sad. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.1.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @4.1    6 years ago

It’s sad when the hate of our President is so strong that some would prefer a real bigot or misogynist instead.  There is no rational basis for hate that powerful.  

Sophomore Guide
4.1.2  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.1.1    6 years ago
It’s sad when the hate of our President is so strong that some would prefer a real bigot or misogynist instead.

What I would actually prefer is a honest direct president who sticks with facts. 

The really sad part is I dont hate the president, I just think we'd be be better off especially in the long run to have a simple bigot or misogynist over the megalomaniac now holding the office.

Someone that sees perhaps more realty and the details of what is needed not just the problem and grandiose solutions and division as a way of moving the nation more easily forward. 

United we stand devided we can be conquered. From within and without. 

This leader seems to prefer to rule over a devided nation. I think that's bad for us in the long run. 

trump 24/7/365 negosiator, IMO: we deserve a president with more than just one mode. 

Hate trump.... lol hardly. Don't like trump as president, you got it !!

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.1.3  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @4.1.2    6 years ago

For all his faults, he’s a saint compared to what we would have been stuck with had the witch won instead.  

Sophomore Guide
4.1.4  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.1.3    6 years ago
For all his faults, he’s a saint compared to what we would have been stuck with had the witch won instead.  

I'm not here to defend either one. I was not happy with the choice we had.

But in reality we will never know which would have been worse. Hell we dont even know yet what trumps overall affects will be long term on the nation.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5  Tessylo    6 years ago

'her nomination is further evidence that Trump is not a racist or a misogynist'

How so?

Spikegary
Junior Quiet
5.1  Spikegary  replied to  Tessylo @5    6 years ago

[deleted]

The President nominated a minority woman of color to the Appeals Court.  Well done.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  Spikegary @5.1    6 years ago

removed for context

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
5.1.2  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Spikegary @5.1    6 years ago
The President nominated a minority woman of color to the Appeals Court.  Well done.

So out of the hundreds of appointments and cabinet positions he finally "nominates a minority woman" and we're all supposed to cheer and say "Oh, I mean, he's nominated hundreds of white males to positions on the court and in his administration, even two of them to the supreme court, but now that he's nominated a single minority woman of color to the appeals court, that proves he's not a racist or misogynist."

I guess that makes perfect sense to all those white Americans who think the reply "But I have a black friend" proves they're not racist in any way.

"Oh, look at my African-American over here. Look at him, Are you the greatest?" - DJT

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.1.3  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @5.1.2    6 years ago

Trump has appointed large numbers of women and minorities to positions in his administration and the judicial branch.  

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
5.1.4  Cerenkov  replied to  XXJefferson51 @5.1.3    6 years ago

The rabble doesn't care. They treat any Trump action as a high crime. TDS is real...

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.1.5  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Cerenkov @5.1.4    6 years ago

jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gifjrSmiley_81_smiley_image.gif

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5.2  Tacos!  replied to  Tessylo @5    6 years ago
'her nomination is further evidence that Trump is not a racist or a misogynist' How so?

This is not a response directed at Tessylo, it's an observation for everyone else's benefit:

As much as leftists love to accuse people of being racist or misogynist, it's clear that the people who make these accusations don't actually know (or care) what the words mean. That's why whenever you offer them evidence that would refute the accusation, they either say such evidence is irrelevant or they claim it's actually proof of the original accusation. 

Of course, when they themselves express racism or misogyny, they feel free to redefine the words in a way that they think makes it impossible for them to be defined that way. e.g., with racism, they'll say that people who historically have not been in positions of power cannot possibly be racist. It's stupid, untrue, and ignores the actual definition of the word, but that doesn't matter. They are their own dictionaries.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.2.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Tacos! @5.2    6 years ago

Well said.  Great post.