Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tessylo  •  6 years ago  •  93 comments

Fox News backs CNN in lawsuit against Trump, wants Acosta's access reinstated

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Fox News backs CNN in lawsuit against Trump, wants Acosta's access reinstated

9197dca0-94e1-11e6-9718-4d4a4a2e45f0_US-   Dylan Stableford   51 minutes ago  

fc8ad84d20b21d6d2b2aecc422c3ab03
Yahoo News photo Illustration; photos: AP, Getty Images

The head of Fox News said on Wednesday that the cable news network is joining more than a dozen other media outlets in supporting rival   CNN   in its lawsuit against President Trump over the White House’s decision to revoke access for correspondent Jim Acosta.

“Fox News supports CNN in its legal effort to regain its White House reporter’s press credential,” Fox News President Jay Wallace said in a statement. “Secret Service passes for working White House journalists should never be weaponized. While we don’t condone the growing antagonistic tone by both the President and the press at recent media avails, we do support a free press, access and open exchanges for the American people.”

In its complaint, filed in U.S. District Court on Tuesday, CNN argued that the revocation of Acosta’s access was “the culmination of years of hostility by President Trump against CNN and Acosta” based on the media outlet’s reporting and “an unabashed attempt to censor the press and exclude reporters from the White House who challenge and dispute the President’s point of view.”

In response, the Justice Department argued in a court filing that Trump has “broad discretion to regulate access to the White House for journalists.”

Wallace said Fox News intended to file a formal brief in support of CNN with the court ahead of an afternoon hearing.

During   a press conference at White House last week , Trump berated Acosta when he challenged the president’s assertion that a caravan of Central American migrants making its way on foot through Mexico to the U.S. border represented an “invasion.”

Acosta tried to ask a follow-up question as a White House intern tried to grab his microphone but was told by Trump, “That’s enough.”

7c9b14a0-e2bb-11e8-adc9-db5b3e90415d

Trump has heated exchange with CNN, NBC journalists at press conference

Following a question about his characterization of the migrant caravan, President Trump engaged in a heated exchange with CNN’s Jim Acosta, saying, “CNN should be ashamed of itself having you working for them. You are a rude, terrible person.” The verbal sparring continued into the next question from NBC’s Peter Alexander.

“CNN should be ashamed of itself having you working for them,” Trump added. “You are are a rude, terrible person.”

The White House later released a statement saying it was suspending Acosta’s hard pass, which provides expedited access to the White House grounds.

“President Trump believes in a free press and expects and welcomes tough questions of him and his administration,” press secretary Sarah Sanders said in a statement. “We will, however, never tolerate a reporter placing his hands on a young woman just trying to do her job as a White House intern. This conduct is absolutely unacceptable.”

Sanders then   shared a doctored video   that she claimed “clearly documented” the incident. But the deceptively edited video, first posted by a YouTube user known for his conspiratorial videos, was sped up to make Acosta appear aggressive.

Speaking to reporters on Friday morning, Trump himself suggested the move had less to do with Acosta’s contact with the intern and more to do with the volume of his voice.

“He’s got a loud voice,” Trump said, adding, “You have to treat the White House of the office of the president with great respect.”

Star Fox anchor Sean Hannity isn’t on board with his network president either, denouncing Acosta last week as a “ far-left, grandstanding, sycophant left-winger .”

But to CNN’s White House press corps, the issue is bigger than Acosta.

“We can’t have a president acting like dictators do all over the world — to silence reporters that they don’t like or reporters who say things or dig too deeply or expose the president too much,” Ted Olson, the attorney representing CNN in its lawsuit, said Tuesday. “The president wants to silence people like that. He cannot do that under the First Amendment.”

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Tessylo    6 years ago

But to CNN’s White House press corps, the issue is bigger than Acosta.

“We can’t have a president acting like dictators do all over the world — to silence reporters that they don’t like or reporters who say things or dig too deeply or expose the president too much,” Ted Olson, the attorney representing CNN in its lawsuit, said Tuesday. “The president wants to silence people like that. He cannot do that under the First Amendment.”

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2  Trout Giggles    6 years ago
“President Trump believes in a free press and expects and welcomes tough questions of him and his administration,” press secretary Sarah Sanders said in a statement. “We will, however, never tolerate a reporter placing his hands on a young woman just trying to do her job as a White House intern. This conduct is absolutely unacceptable.”

Her ability to lie with ease is simply breathtaking.

I just had to point that out. Back to the subject. I. Am. Amazed. Fox is backing CNN???? What's next Breitbart holding hands with Daily Kos?

321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu
Sophomore Guide
2.1  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Trout Giggles @2    6 years ago
Her ability to lie with ease is simply breathtaking.

Yep She may be around a while. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu @2.1    6 years ago

We were just comparing her to Baghdad Bob. Remember him?

Sophomore Guide
2.1.2  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu   replied to  Trout Giggles @2.1.1    6 years ago

It does make one wonder just how much these advocates are mislead, loyal and indifferent to the problems of who and what they advocate so much for that were they actually see straight thru the BS or not acknowledge it enough to affect their ability to say within what they know themselves reality to be. or do they know and not care if they say non truths ? 

In other words are they "brainwashed" stupid, mislead or just doing whatever they can to advance themselves in some way as well as who they are lying for ? 

In other words... losers ! 

I once had an employer tell me to lie to a customer to save him time and money on the job. I told him NO. I also told him "If you do not want me to lie to you, do not ask me to lie to others for you."

He never asked me to lie again. 

Smart man. Cause I can be good at it if I want to and I kept track of my own hours on his jobs.

lol

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2.2  MrFrost  replied to  Trout Giggles @2    6 years ago

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  MrFrost @2.2    6 years ago

It has to be exhausting lying all the time! How the hell does one remember what one said yesterday, the day before that, or last week?

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2.2.2  MrFrost  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2.1    6 years ago

She has to have a staff that attempts to keep track of all her lies. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2.2.3  sandy-2021492  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2.1    6 years ago
How the hell does one remember what one said yesterday, the day before that, or last week?

Does it really matter if some of her lies contradict some of her other lies?  People who are determined to believe her will eat it up, anyway.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  MrFrost @2.2.2    6 years ago

That has to be a full time job for at least 3 people

JBB
Professor Principal
2.2.5  JBB  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2.1    6 years ago

Sarah is swinging for the fences for Trump since she will never work again.

These are olde Sarah's salad days as Official Spokesmodel for Trumpism...

epistte
Junior Guide
2.2.6  epistte  replied to  JBB @2.2.5    6 years ago
Sarah is swinging for the fences for Trump since she will never work again. These are olde Sarah's salad days as Official Spokesmodel for Trumpism...

She might be able to get a job at the Heritage Foundation, some far-right religious org. or as a commentator for Fox News.   She and Kelly-Anne Conjob are both DOA outside of far-right conservative circles.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.3  Ozzwald  replied to  Trout Giggles @2    6 years ago
I just had to point that out. Back to the subject. I. Am. Amazed. Fox is backing CNN???? What's next Breitbart holding hands with Daily Kos?

Nah, Fox knows that the next POTUS will probably be a Democrat after Trump's approval ratings and pending Mueller report.  They don't want it to become policy for the Whitehouse to be able to throw out reporters they don't like.  This move is purely in their own defense.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
3  Dismayed Patriot    6 years ago

Fox knows that if they don't speak up now, they'll be the ones getting booted from the room come the next Democrat administration if this precedent is allowed to stand. It proves they are actually far smarter than their viewers.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
3.1  arkpdx  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @3    6 years ago
they'll be the ones getting booted from the room come the next Democrat administration if this precedent is allowed to stand.

That is the liberal/democrat/progressive way. Got to get even regardless of what is happening. That is why they have been chomping at the bit to find some illegal act by Trump. They have been trying to get even for Clinton's impeachment for years. Many of them act more like 6 year olds than most six year olds .

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.1.1  Ozzwald  replied to  arkpdx @3.1    6 years ago
That is the liberal/democrat/progressive way.

What?  Kicking out reporters they don't like?  Haven't you been trying to justify exactly that by Trump?

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
3.1.2  arkpdx  replied to  Ozzwald @3.1.1    6 years ago
  1. [deleted.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
3.1.3  Ozzwald  replied to  arkpdx @3.1.2    6 years ago

removed for context

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
3.1.4  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  arkpdx @3.1    6 years ago
That is the liberal/democrat/progressive way. Got to get even regardless of what is happening.

I guess that means the conservative way is to stab you in the back then look at you with puppy dog eyes and crocodile tears saying "Did I do that?"...

“If (Obama) was for it, we had to be against it, (McConnell) wanted everyone to hold the fort. All he cared about was making sure Obama could never have a clean victory.” ...Obstruct for 6 years straight, then lose power and start to whine about your opponent even suggesting they might obstruct. Holding a Presidents nominee for supreme court for an entire YEAR and now cheering a liberal journalists banishment, but any suggestion that it sets precedent and it's "Why I never! How could they even suggest such a thing? I guess they've got to get even regardless of whats happening...".

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
3.3  Cerenkov  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @3    6 years ago

Obama already tried that. CNN backed Fox.

Sophomore Guide
4  321steve - realistically thinkin or Duu     6 years ago

Fox News Backs CNN

Perhaps.. Just perhaps.. Someday trump may unite America.... against him. 

I'm not holing my breath but then again I never underestimate trump.

Let trump be trump !!  24/7/365  !!!

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5  Sparty On    6 years ago

Lol .... apparently Fox news is now good ...... but only when it agrees with CNN.

Hilarious!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Sparty On @5    6 years ago

Don't worry, they still have Sean Hannity to balance them out

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.1.1  Sparty On  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.1    6 years ago
Don't worry, they still have Sean Hannity to balance them out

True, too bad the Clinton News Network can't say the same thing.   Their liberal bias is so prolific its like the fat kid sitting on a tetter-totter.   No one is moving that fat kid up to a remotely balanced position.   He's stuck .... absolutely stuck on the ground ....

MrFrost
Professor Expert
5.2  MrFrost  replied to  Sparty On @5    6 years ago

Even a broken watch is right twice a day.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
5.2.1  Cerenkov  replied to  MrFrost @5.2    6 years ago

True. Like when CNN supported Fox when Obama tried to suppress their rights.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
5.2.2  MrFrost  replied to  Cerenkov @5.2.1    6 years ago

Which fox reporter was it that Obama kicked out of the WH? Oh, none. Thanks for playing. 

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
5.2.3  Cerenkov  replied to  MrFrost @5.2.2    6 years ago

Thanks for lying!

Ender
Professor Principal
5.2.4  Ender  replied to  Cerenkov @5.2.3    6 years ago

Attempt is the operative word in that article.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.2.5  Sparty On  replied to  MrFrost @5.2    6 years ago

So true ..... so please, let me know what time of day and night that is for CNN and i'll be sure to be watching

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
5.2.6  Cerenkov  replied to  Ender @5.2.4    6 years ago

Spiiiin....

Ender
Professor Principal
5.2.7  Ender  replied to  Cerenkov @5.2.6    6 years ago

No spin. No fox reporter was ever banned from the White House. You can talk intent all you want, I will deal in facts.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
5.2.8  lady in black  replied to  Cerenkov @5.2.6    6 years ago

Yep, you keep spinning....attempt/attempted/attempting is NOT actually banning.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
5.2.9  Ozzwald  replied to  Ender @5.2.4    6 years ago

Attempt is the operative word in that article.

Not only that, the situations were completely different.  Apples and oranges.  On one side is an already very limited interview, on the other is an official press briefing.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
5.2.10  Cerenkov  replied to  Ender @5.2.7    6 years ago

You had no facts. You had spin. Obama tried to ice Fox. End of story.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
5.2.11  Cerenkov  replied to  lady in black @5.2.8    6 years ago

Bullshit.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
5.2.12  lady in black  replied to  Cerenkov @5.2.11    6 years ago

Not bullshit.  One was BANNED....one was ATTEMPTED to be banned but was NOT banned...see the difference.  Keep spinning

MrFrost
Professor Expert
5.2.13  MrFrost  replied to  Cerenkov @5.2.10    6 years ago
You had no facts. You had spin. Obama tried to ice Fox. End of story.

YOU are the one spinning. Obama didn't ban fox, or anyone FROM fox. THAT'S a FACT. 

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
5.2.14  Cerenkov  replied to  lady in black @5.2.12    6 years ago

So attempted murder is cool with you? Liberal values on display...

lady in black
Professor Quiet
5.2.15  lady in black  replied to  Cerenkov @5.2.14    6 years ago

Alternative facts....keep spinning.

Phoenyx13
Sophomore Silent
5.2.16  Phoenyx13  replied to  Cerenkov @5.2.14    6 years ago
So attempted murder is cool with you? Liberal values on display...

is attempting to eat breakfast the same as eating breakfast ?

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
5.3  Thrawn 31  replied to  Sparty On @5    6 years ago

Fox news still sucks horse ass, just because they have no choice but to back CNN doesn't improve their image in the slightest in my mind. This isn't some kind of moral stand or trying to do the right thing based on principle, it is them looking out for their own best interests. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.3.1  Sparty On  replied to  Thrawn 31 @5.3    6 years ago

Thank god for Fox News!    

Lest all we would get is the typical left wing crackpottery being pushed by the rest of the mass media.    Poor, fluffy little snowflakes have trouble with anything that doesn’t goosestep in exact unison with their progressive, liberally biased nonsense.

No one gives a shit about their delicate sensibilities except for them.    Deal with it.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
5.3.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  Sparty On @5.3.1    6 years ago
Thank god for Fox News!  

Lol whatever, I don't watch any cable news so jerk yourself off over Fox all you like.

Poor, fluffy little snowflakes have trouble with anything that doesn’t goosestep in exact unison with their progressive, liberally biased nonsense.

I can say the exact same thing about conservatives.

No one gives a shit about their delicate sensibilities except for them.    Deal with it.

Kinda how I don't give a fuck about you or your delicate [sensibilities deleted]

Kavika
Professor Principal
6  Kavika     6 years ago

Sean Hannity fainted, but he did grab his pearls before he hit the floor. 

fox-mean-lol-58b8d7605f9b58af5c8f0092.jp

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
7  Thrawn 31    6 years ago
Fox News Backs CNN In Lawsuit Against Trump, Wants Acosta's Access Reinstated

They kinda have to. 

96WS6
Junior Quiet
8  96WS6    6 years ago

Too funny that the courts basically said you need to make rules before you take his pass again and most of the left sees this as some sort of win. jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif