╌>

GOP Senator Says Voter Suppression Is A 'Great Idea'

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tessylo  •  6 years ago  •  44 comments

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

710c91c0-4b9c-11e7-8912-374be9390b1b_H-1   Willa Frej, HuffPost   1 hour 19 minutes ago  

70af3953a90ce69f5468187eb26c00fc

Sen. Cindy Hyde-Smith (R-Miss.) appeared to endorse voter suppression during a campaign stop this month, saying efforts to undermine voting among liberals at certain colleges would be a “great idea.”

“And then they remind me that there’s a lot of liberal folks in those other schools who maybe we don’t want to vote,” Hyde-Smith can be heard telling a small crowd of young people outside her campaign bus in a video taken Nov. 3 and posted on online Thursday. “Maybe we want to make it just a little more difficult. And I think that’s a great idea.”

Hyde-Smith, who was appointed to the Senate in April following the retirement of Thad Cochran, faces Democrat Mike Espy in a Nov. 27 runoff election. The Trump-backed Republican also came under fire last weekend for apparent racist remarks, joking with a crowd about   attending a public hanging

Campaign spokeswoman Melissa Scallan insisted Hyde-Smith was   joking  as she talked with students in Starkville, Mississippi, and claimed the video had been edited. 

“It’s ok to still have a sense of humor in America isn’t it?” Hyde-Smith  tweeted   after the video circulated. “These students enjoyed a laugh with Cindy despite out of state social media posts trying to mislead Mississippians.”

This iframe is not allowed

It’s unclear which “other schools” Hyde-Smith referred to in the video. There are several historically black colleges and universities in the state. 

“For a state like Mississippi, where voting rights were obtained through sweat and blood, everyone should appreciate that this is   not a laughing matter ,” Espy spokesman Danny Blanton said of Hyde-Smith’s remarks. “Mississippians deserve a senator who represents our best qualities, not a walking stereotype who embarrasses our state.”

• This article originally appeared on   HuffPost .

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Tessylo    6 years ago

Sen. Cindy Hyde-Smith (R-Miss.) appeared to endorse voter suppression during a campaign stop this month, saying efforts to undermine voting among liberals at certain colleges would be a “great idea.”

“And then they remind me that there’s a lot of liberal folks in those other schools who maybe we don’t want to vote,” Hyde-Smith can be heard telling a small crowd of young people outside her campaign bus in a video taken Nov. 3 and posted on online Thursday. “Maybe we want to make it just a little more difficult. And I think that’s a great idea.”

Yes you nasty old racist crazy bitch, you can't have the liberals and the blacks voting because they'll vote Democrat.  And vote against your crazy old racist bitch ass.  

Rmando
Sophomore Silent
1.1  Rmando  replied to  Tessylo @1    6 years ago

And yet you have absolutely no proof she's racist except for the things you choose to read into her comments. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Rmando @1.1    6 years ago

'The Trump-backed Republican also came under fire last weekend for apparent racist remarks, joking with a crowd about   attending a public hanging .'

Nah, not racist at all.  

Rmando
Sophomore Silent
1.1.2  Rmando  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.1    6 years ago

You're right. Supporting the death penalty isn't racist.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1.1.3  Jasper2529  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.1    6 years ago
attending a public hanging .'

I really wish you'd read your own links:

It’s unclear what context the comments were made under

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.4  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Jasper2529 @1.1.3    6 years ago

'It’s unclear what context the comments were made under'

Not to anyone with any sense and who can read.  

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1.1.5  Jasper2529  replied to  Tessylo @1.1.4    6 years ago
Not to anyone with any sense and who can read.

'It’s unclear what context the comments were made under' is from your  embedded Huff Po link, Tessy, so talk to Nick Visser (the author) and Huff Po about not having sense and being unable to read.

Here's the link:

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.6  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Jasper2529 @1.1.5    6 years ago

If you have a problem with my posts report it or whatever.  You can stop deflecting now

luther28
Sophomore Silent
2  luther28    6 years ago

Strike two........She should have quit after the public hanging comment, some folks should just have their lips sewn together at birth I suppose.

Rmando
Sophomore Silent
2.1  Rmando  replied to  luther28 @2    6 years ago

I can think of a lot of liberals who should have their mouths sewn shut, starting with Hillary who just last week said something that was undeniably racist.

luther28
Sophomore Silent
2.1.1  luther28  replied to  Rmando @2.1    6 years ago
I can think of a lot of liberals who should have their mouths sewn shut, starting with Hillary who just last week said something that was undeniably racist.

True enough, but the seed was aimed at this particular idiot not them.

Hillary who?

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.1.2  devangelical  replied to  Rmando @2.1    6 years ago

but, but, but, what about...

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2.1.3  MrFrost  replied to  Rmando @2.1    6 years ago
I can think of a lot of liberals

I doubt you personally know more than 2. 

Rmando
Sophomore Silent
2.1.4  Rmando  replied to  MrFrost @2.1.3    6 years ago

I may not know many but I have to listen to them on tv all day.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2.1.5  MrFrost  replied to  Rmando @2.1.4    6 years ago
I may not know many but I have to listen to them on tv all day.

Change the channel. 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
2.2  Jasper2529  replied to  luther28 @2    6 years ago
She should have quit after the public hanging comment, some folks should just have their lips sewn together at birth I suppose.

The First Amendment is every American's right, even when they say something we disagree with.

luther28
Sophomore Silent
2.2.1  luther28  replied to  Jasper2529 @2.2    6 years ago

Never stated that She did not have the right to make such a statement, more that it was not a very bright one. Though everyone has a right to speak, some would be better served by silence.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3  Split Personality    6 years ago

jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif and she WAS expected to win the run off handily....

Rmando
Sophomore Silent
3.1  Rmando  replied to  Split Personality @3    6 years ago

Newsflash: She still is.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4  Trout Giggles    6 years ago

Make it harder to vote????

She's a complete and utter moron

lady in black
Professor Quiet
5  lady in black    6 years ago

What a moronic imbecile...what can you expect from Mississippi.

JBB
Professor Principal
5.1  JBB  replied to  lady in black @5    6 years ago

Mississippi, where every town has a Magnolia Avenue...

They need all the jasmine and mint to cover racism's rot.

JBB
Professor Principal
6  JBB    6 years ago

Voter Suppression Is Deplorable...

Ender
Professor Principal
6.1  Ender  replied to  JBB @6    6 years ago

Funny that even when they admit it, their supporters will brush it off.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
8  Thrawn 31    6 years ago

I will expand on her thought, only property owning men get to vote, just the way the founders envisioned.  What can I say, I am an originalist. 

Rmando
Sophomore Silent
8.2  Rmando  replied to  Thrawn 31 @8    6 years ago

Women, minorities and 18 year olds were all given the right to vote by Constitutional admendments. That makes them just as valid as if they were in the Bill of Rights.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
8.2.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  Rmando @8.2    6 years ago

If we want to start rolling things back then I say we take it all the way back.