╌>

Bloomberg donated a whopping $1.8 billion to Johns Hopkins to help students with the overall goal of eliminating student loans

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  6 years ago  •  18 comments

Bloomberg donated a whopping $1.8 billion to Johns Hopkins to help students with the overall goal of eliminating student loans
Former New York City mayor Mike Bloomberg donated a whopping $1.8 billion to his alma mater, Johns Hopkins University to help students from low and middle-income families with the overall goal of eliminating student loans in financial aid packages.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    6 years ago

Yes you heard it right.

That's $1.8 billion-- not $1.8 million!

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Krishna    6 years ago

I've heard that Johns Hopkins is one of the top universities in the country, if not the actual #1 school!

Anyone here a graduate of the school--- or know anyone who is?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Krishna @2    6 years ago

Both of my daughter! One of them in has a BA in pre-med and the other a BA Cog neuro psych. The school is amazing when it comes to education but maybe they can spend some money on maybe a student union? These kids are so burnt out by the time they leave. 

Uptownchick
Junior Silent
2.2.1  Uptownchick  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.2    6 years ago

I thought about your girls when I heard this story. Amazing gift and greatly needed. Kudos!!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @2    5 years ago

In 1955, when I was graduating from high school and wanting to go into pre-med, I wrote to Johns Hopkins and received back a wonderful encouraging PERSONAL note from the Dean.  However, I ended up going into pre-med at University of Western Ontario in London, Ontario.  Doing an unbelievably messy job of dissecting in the Zoology lab, and getting the lowest mark in the history of the university in calculus, I spent the rest of my undergrad career in Arts.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     6 years ago

Kudos to Michael Bloomberg.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.1  Split Personality  replied to  Kavika @3    6 years ago

Probably avoids any Federal taxes this year and gets to direct the $$ where he wants it to go.  kudos to him.

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.1.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Split Personality @3.1    6 years ago

Probably avoids any Federal taxes this year and gets to direct the $$ where he wants it to go.  kudos to him.

If you knew a wealthy man who paid no taxes this year but gave over a billion $ to Johns Hopkins-- and another person who did pay taxes this year but didn't contribute any money to anyone-- who would you admire more?

Who would you judge contributed more to the country?

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.1.2  Split Personality  replied to  Krishna @3.1.1    6 years ago

Mike Bloomberg.

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.1.3  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Split Personality @3.1.2    6 years ago

Correct! :-)

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5  Perrie Halpern R.A.    6 years ago

I think it's amazing that he gave so much to the school he loved. He also gave a ton of money to Baruch College (where I got my masters), which is part of the University of NY. Baruch has become one of the best business schools in the US and a bargain to attend. Bloomberg spoke at my graduation and said that he gets most of his new employees from Baruch, so he decided to give annual amounts to the school. This year he gave $30 million to the school. 

The reason he gave all that money to Hopkins is he wanted the school to be able to give students who didn't have the means ( presently the school costs about $64,0000/year) full rides at the school in perpetuity. He feels that education is the great equalizer and I have to agree with that. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5    5 years ago

I believe education would be the great equalizer as long as it trains the students to withstand the bias that's pumped into them there and to think for themselves.  

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
6  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 years ago

Still amazes me. He be da man.