╌>

In unusual statement disputing the CIA and filled with exclamation points, Trump backs Saudi ruler after Khashoggi killing

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  dulay  •  6 years ago  •  47 comments

In unusual statement disputing the CIA and filled with exclamation points, Trump backs Saudi ruler after Khashoggi killing
"Maybe he did and maybe he didn't!" the president said of whether Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman knew of the journalist's slaying.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

President Donald Trump, in exclamation point-filled formal presidential statement, said Tuesday that his administration would stand by Saudi Arabia's rulers and take no actions against them over the killing of journalist Jamal Khashoggi.

In the extraordinary statement, which featured six exclamation points from the president, Trump called the "crime" against Khashoggi "terrible" and "one that our country does not condone."

But he again stopped well short of pointing blame at Saudi Arabia — despite NBC News and other reports last week that the CIA concluded that Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman ordered Khashoggi's killing — and cast questions over who killed the journalist.

"Our intelligence agencies continue to assess all information, but it could very well be that the Crown Prince had knowledge of this tragic event — maybe he did and maybe he didn't!" Trump said in the statement, which featured a subheading that read "America First!"
"That being said, we may never know all of the facts surrounding the murder of Mr. Jamal Khashoggi," he continued. "In any case, our relationship is with the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia."
Later Tuesday, Trump told reporters that the U.S. relationship with Saudia Arabia and the fallout over Khashoggi's murder was "a shame, but it is what it is." He also said he would be willing to meet with the crown prince at next week's G-20 summit in Argentina.

"I don’t know that he’s gonna be there, but if he is, I will," Trump said.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Dulay
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Dulay    6 years ago
Former CIA director John Brennan responded to Trump's statement by saying that Congress should obtain and make public the CIA's findings about Khashoggi's death.
"Since Mr. Trump excels in dishonesty, it is now up to members of Congress to obtain & declassify the CIA findings on Jamal Khashoggi's death," said Brennan, a scathing critic of Trump. "No one in Saudi Arabia most especially the Crown Prince — should escape accountability for such a heinous act."
Lawmakers from both parties, and experts, also reacted critically.

So it looks to me like Trump has put a dollar amount on American values. 

Rmando
Sophomore Silent
1.2  Rmando  replied to  Dulay @1    6 years ago

"Trump has put a dollar amount on American values."

Any no other president ever has? We've been trading with countries with terrible human rights violations for a long time. It's a little too late to get righteous about it now.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
1.2.1  MrFrost  replied to  Rmando @1.2    6 years ago
Any no other president ever has?

After a resident of the USA was murdered by them? No. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.2.2  seeder  Dulay  replied to  Rmando @1.2    6 years ago
Any no other president ever has? We've been trading with countries with terrible human rights violations for a long time. It's a little too late to get righteous about it now.

Trump, the great 'negotiator' and 'law and order' guy, kowtowed to Saudi Arabian assassins and spouted LIES to bolster his groveling.

I was wondering who would be the first to post whataboutism. You won Rmando.

Rmando
Sophomore Silent
1.2.3  Rmando  replied to  MrFrost @1.2.1    6 years ago

This one actually involved a congressman from Georgia:

And it didn't lead to Reagan refusing to deal with Soviets.

Rmando
Sophomore Silent
1.2.4  Rmando  replied to  Dulay @1.2.2    6 years ago

"Trump, the great 'negotiator' and 'law and order' guy, kowtowed to Saudi Arabian assassins and spouted LIES to bolster his groveling."

And Obama skulked away like a whipped cur with his tail between his legs after Assad crossed his red line. What's your point?

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.2.5  seeder  Dulay  replied to  Rmando @1.2.4    6 years ago
And Obama skulked away like a whipped cur with his tail between his legs after Assad crossed his red line.

Again with the whataboutism and FALSE whataboutism at that.

Y'all don't seem to have anything else nowadays.

What's your point?

I made my point clear in my first two comments. READ MORE CAREFULLY.

Rmando
Sophomore Silent
1.2.6  Rmando  replied to  Dulay @1.2.5    6 years ago

Nothing false about it. And not a Whataboutism either. Just putting things in context.

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.2.7  seeder  Dulay  replied to  Rmando @1.2.6    6 years ago
Nothing false about it.

Prove it then. Post a link.

And not a Whataboutism either.

It would behoove you to review the definition of whataboutism. Perhaps then even you would understand that your comment does indeed qualify.

Just putting things in context.

There is NO applicable context for Trump SELLING our foreign policy and values for fabricated arms deals...not to mention ignoring the CIA and believing the Saudis.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
1.2.8  MrFrost  replied to  Rmando @1.2.4    6 years ago
nd Obama skulked away like a whipped cur with his tail between his legs after Assad crossed his red line.

Wrong, and you know it. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.2.9  seeder  Dulay  replied to  Rmando @1.2.3    6 years ago
This one actually involved a congressman from Georgia

Yet still a utter false equivalency. Try harder.

Rmando
Sophomore Silent
1.2.10  Rmando  replied to  MrFrost @1.2.8    6 years ago

You know your link from the Atlantic doesn't prove anything. All it does is bluster and equivocate. Trump had no problem bombing Syria with Congressional approval. That article makes Obama look like a wannabe tough guy who comes up with an excuse when he gets called out. "I'd fight you but I can't find anybody to hold my coat..."

MrFrost
Professor Expert
1.2.11  MrFrost  replied to  Rmando @1.2.10    6 years ago

I don't care what the link says, it proves you WRONG. Deal with it. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.2.13  seeder  Dulay  replied to    6 years ago

One needs cogency to recognize it. 

BTFW, I see that you failed to answer the questions I posed about your ridiculous posit.  

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.2.14  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Dulay @1.2.13    6 years ago
BTFW, I see that you failed to answer the questions I posed about your ridiculous posit.  

Dulay, this is unclear. Wally never made a post prior to that one. Who are you talking to?

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.2.15  seeder  Dulay  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.2.14    6 years ago

I didn't say it was a prior post. 

Rmando
Sophomore Silent
1.2.16  Rmando  replied to  MrFrost @1.2.11    6 years ago

"I don't care what the link says, it proves you WRONG." 

Ummmm..... Contradiction much???

And unless you have a link that shows Obama attacking Syria for crossing the red line, it doesn't prove a thing.

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.2.17  seeder  Dulay  replied to  Rmando @1.2.16    6 years ago
And unless you have a link that shows Obama attacking Syria for crossing the red line, it doesn't prove a thing.

Actually, unless you have a link that shows Obama stating that he would attack Syria for crossing the red line you haven't a leg to stand on. 

Rmando
Sophomore Silent
1.2.18  Rmando  replied to  Dulay @1.2.17    6 years ago

Obama drew a red line. That means severe and swift retaliation which any non partisan person understands to mean a military response. Obamas refusal to deal with real threats appropriately is what made his foreign policy the weakest since Jimmy Carters.

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.2.19  seeder  Dulay  replied to  Rmando @1.2.18    6 years ago
Obama drew a red line. That means severe and swift retaliation which any non partisan person understands to mean a military response. Obamas refusal to deal with real threats appropriately is what made his foreign policy the weakest since Jimmy Carters.

Actually, any non partisan person understands that they should hold politicians responsible for what they ACTUALLY say rather than for what they want to hear...

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
1.3  Thrawn 31  replied to  Dulay @1    6 years ago

Eh, he is just the first to make no bones about it. The US has ALWAYS done this. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.3.1  seeder  Dulay  replied to  Thrawn 31 @1.3    6 years ago
Eh, he is just the first to make no bones about it.

I think it would be more accurate to say that he is one of the few who did so for PERSONAL PROFIT. Cheney also comes to mind.

lennylynx
Sophomore Quiet
2  lennylynx    6 years ago

Trump and his supporters have Khashoggi's blood on their hands.

Rmando
Sophomore Silent
2.1  Rmando  replied to  lennylynx @2    6 years ago

Yeah, because Trump doesnt immediately declare WW3 and turn Saudi Arabia into a smoking crater over one death then he has blood on his hands. Makes perfect sense.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2.1.1  MrFrost  replied to  Rmando @2.1    6 years ago
Yeah, because Trump doesnt immediately declare WW3

Who suggested that? Oh, no one. 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
2.1.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  Rmando @2.1    6 years ago
Yeah, because Trump doesnt immediately declare WW3 and turn Saudi Arabia into a smoking crater

Haven't conservatives been saying we should do that to the entire region for years? What changed? 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
2.2  MrFrost  replied to  lennylynx @2    6 years ago

Murder is ok as long as you are rich. That's the message trump is sending. 

JBB
Professor Principal
3  JBB    6 years ago

Can nobody rid us of that vile and vulgar man? Come on Mueller! Pull the plug...

Rmando
Sophomore Silent
3.1  Rmando  replied to  JBB @3    6 years ago

You are going to be SO disappointed when Mueller finally turns in his report- which we won't even get to see most of anyway.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
3.1.1  MrFrost  replied to  Rmando @3.1    6 years ago
which we won't even get to see most of anyway.

Probably not, now that trump has installed his partisan hack protector and hatch act violator. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
3.1.3  MrFrost  replied to    6 years ago
What's a hatchet act?

No idea. Never heard of it. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
4  MrFrost    6 years ago

On Thanksgiving day, trump gives thanks for Saudi Arabia. The same country that murdered a resident of the USA and provided 19 of the 21 9/11 hijackers. Not our troops, not out country, not our people, not our values, not our flag.....Saudi Arabia. 

Fuck trump. He is an anti-American POS. 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
4.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  MrFrost @4    6 years ago

He also thanked himself for being so awesome, can't leave that out. A first class asshole no matter the scenario. 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
5  Thrawn 31    6 years ago

Fat Ass just wishes he could do what the Saudi Prince is doing. He is insanely jealous, and in debt.