How a North Carolina election fraud investigation is holding up a congressional seat

Via:  atheist  •  3 days ago  •  44 comments

How a North Carolina election fraud investigation is holding up a congressional seat
The district attorney in Wake County revealed Monday that her office has been investigating potential “voting irregularities” in Bladen County since early this year, going back to 2016.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

At the center of the controversy appears to be Leslie McCrae Dowless, who worked for Harris' campaign, and a large number of absentee ballots.

Dowless, a known political operative in the area, is accused of heading a group that would go door-to-door, encouraging people to request an absentee ballot, then go back and collect the ballots and turn them in, which would be an illegal practice. The allegations led to worries about ballot tampering.

The state's election board released records showing Dowless turned in nearly half of the requests for absentee ballots in Bladen County, according to CNN. A total of more than 1,300 were requested in that county. 

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו
1  seeder  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו    3 days ago

Once again, we re-learn the truism that when there is real, verifiable and massive voting or election fraud there are shitty Republican paw prints all over it.  

Dismayed Patriot
1.1  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @1    3 days ago

And their excuse is always the same, "But we had to do it to stop all the illegals from voting!" of which there is virtually no evidence. I think Republicans suffer from the delusion that they must be in the majority in America, that most people must think like they do, but then when confronted by the facts, when confronted by the numbers showing 56% disapproval for their President who lost the popular vote by 3 million, their tiny brains can only rationalize this by concluding the others guys must be cheating. Zero evidence, 100% gut. This rationalization allows them to further condone their own actual vote fraud by disenfranchising minority voters or having some political operative mass collecting ballots then not delivering them because they come from known Democrat strongholds. It really is a sad state of delusion these conservative Republicans inhabit. 

Rmando
1.1.1  Rmando  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.1    3 days ago

[Removed]

Rmando
1.1.2  Rmando  replied to  Rmando @1.1.1    3 days ago

That comment was in direct reply to Dismayed Patriot using his own words. If my comment is off topic then so is his.

tomwcraig
1.1.3  tomwcraig  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.1    yesterday

From my understanding, Harris was the first Republican that Dowless worked with.  Almost all of his political work was for Democrats up until this election.  So, if this was Dowless's SOP, then how many elections in favor of Democrats did he influence over the years?

Spikegary
1.2  Spikegary  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @1    3 days ago

Wait, how many times have I seen on this very site, "THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS VOTER FRAUD"?  Now suddenly there could be voter fraud?  Only when it's a Republican, right?  Gotcha.  There have been numerous instances of voter fraud/attempted voter fraud that has been poo-pooed by many on the left on this site.........now, you say well, it's 'Republicans'?  Right.  A bit hypocritical, don't you think?

Tessylo
1.2.1  Tessylo  replied to  Spikegary @1.2    3 days ago

No one said THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS VOTER FRAUD.  The percentage is negligible yet it always seems republicans are involved somehow when the fraud is revealed.  

Spikegary
1.2.2  Spikegary  replied to  Tessylo @1.2.1    3 days ago

And yet, there was a guy convicted not all that long ago over regisdtering Dead Bodies for the Democratic Party.  [deleted]

1.2.3  seeder  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Spikegary @1.2    3 days ago
Only when it's a Republican, right?  Gotcha.

You got it!!  You can search all you want but you will not find a single verifiable example of Dems doing anything on this kind of scale.  The best you can come up with are either occasional (to the point of rare)  single voter or possibly voter registration (not voting or election fraud) infractions.  Republicans don't bother with that.   They go big:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_New_Hampshire_Senate_election_phone_jamming_scandal

1.2.4  seeder  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Spikegary @1.2.2    3 days ago
And yet, there was a guy convicted not all that long ago over regisdtering Dead Bodies for the Democratic Party. 

Document that claim.

Rmando
1.2.6  Rmando  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @1.2.3    3 days ago

Democrats in CA did do exactly what you're claiming the GOP did here. The only difference is that Jerry Brown made sure voter harvesting was 100% legal there. Otherwise it's the exact same tactic.

KDMichigan
1.2.7  KDMichigan  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @1.2.4    3 days ago
Document that claim.

https://www.richmond.com/news/virginia/jmu-student-gets---days-in-prison-for-registering/article_577ec944-75ad-58d8-b706-d658c186cd57.html

A up and coming young democrat.

A 21-year-old man who pleaded guilty last week to filing 18 phony voter registration applications in Harrisonburg will spend 100 to 120 days in prison, according to federal prosecutors in the Western District of Virginia.
Andrew J. Spieles of Harrisonburg admitted to filing the fraudulent registrations in August while working with Democratic-affiliated groups as a student at James Madison University ahead of the 2016 presidential election.
The fraud was discovered after local election officials noticed that some applications had been filed in the names of dead people, including the father of a Rockingham County judge.

Dismayed Patriot
1.2.9  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Spikegary @1.2    3 days ago
how many times have I seen on this very site, "THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS VOTER FRAUD"?  Now suddenly there could be voter fraud?  Only when it's a Republican, right?

You are conflating the fact that there are a statistically insignificant number of actual fraudulent ballots cast, less than .002%, with the very real disenfranchisement of minority voters. In this case it is likely a Republican operative collected ballots from black and native American areas then didn't submit them effectively stealing their voice and their vote, silencing eligible voters because Republicans realize they're losing their slimy grip on power and they're scared.

So yes, election fraud is abundant among Republicans, they've been caught passing several voter ID laws that the courts concluded targeted blacks and minority voters with "surgical precision". And progressives haven't been silent about this, we've been shouting about Republican vote fraud for years now as anyone paying attention can attest to.

Here is the Republican Election Playbook:

Court big business for large donations so you don't have to be beholden to the people.

Disenfranchise eligible minority voters who are likely to vote Democrat.

Methods of disenfranchisement:

Send misleading or false notices claiming election dates after the real date.

Robo-calls with incorrect election dates or warnings about ICE or security being at polling booths trying to scare newly registered immigrant voters.

Limiting early voting and Sunday voting which are traditionally when minorities vote.

Limit the kinds of ID's allowed to vote to those least often held by minorities.

Lie and smear any Democrat candidate by claiming they want to take all your guns away and will kill all the babies.

Gerrymander districts to spread out minority voters so they'll never be the majority in any district.

And when all the above doesn't work, lie to likely Democrat voters by telling them you're helping them vote by picking up their ballots, then dumping their votes in the trash.

epistte
1.2.10  epistte  replied to  Spikegary @1.2    3 days ago
Wait, how many times have I seen on this very site, "THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS VOTER FRAUD"?  Now suddenly there could be voter fraud?  Only when it's a Republican, right?  Gotcha.  There have been numerous instances of voter fraud/attempted voter fraud that has been poo-pooed by many on the left on this site.........now, you say well, it's 'Republicans'?  Right.  A bit hypocritical, don't you think?

The only vote fraud that seems to happen is conservatives trying to rig the elections while seeking supposed solutions that would disenfranchise non-republicans. Photo IDs for voters would not have solved this problem. 

epistte
1.2.11  epistte  replied to  KDMichigan @1.2.7    3 days ago

How many times did he vote?  

The system worked as designed and his scheme was caught. Photo IDs didn't solve the problem.

1.2.12  seeder  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Rmando @1.2.6    2 days ago

Bullshit.  

1.2.13  seeder  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  KDMichigan @1.2.8    2 days ago

Link #1--as it is Hotair, of course the headline is a lie.  From the actual news report it linked to:

The indictments show several of the ballots in question were for Democratic candidates.

So "several ballots" being democratic (it was a primary) leaves us the impression that not all of them were and also tells us nothing about who was behind it.  

Link #2 (to a case that's 7 years old)  tells us that up to 59 ballots may have been involved. Little league compared to the NC case. 

Link #3 is rightwing forum with the fraudulent title of "liberal" (of course they'd lie?).  Links from those comments are phony.  IOW, just standard rightwing pukefunnel bilge. 

1.2.14  seeder  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Spikegary @1.2    2 days ago
Wait, how many times have I seen on this very site, "THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS VOTER FRAUD"? 

That's easy:  NEVER!

1.2.15  seeder  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  badfish hαηd ⊕ƒ †hε Ωuεεη @1.2.5    yesterday

Off topic.  Reported (no action taken).  Will report if you do it again, fish. 

badfish hαηd ⊕ƒ †hε Ωuεεη
1.2.16  badfish hαηd ⊕ƒ †hε Ωuεεη  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @1.2.15    yesterday

What are you talking about?

You asked someone for a link to prove something and I provided it to you. That is on topic! Your question answered is a relevant reply.

Here it is 

Atheist Wrote:
And yet, there was a guy convicted not all that long ago over regisdtering Dead Bodies for the Democratic Party. 
Document that claim.

badfish replies with link to support another member's statement that you questioned.

https://www.businessinsider.com/andrew-spieles-virginia-voter-registration-2017-6

It's so on topic, you made it the topic. What are you going to report?  badfish made an on topic comment you didn't like?

tomwcraig
1.2.17  tomwcraig  replied to  epistte @1.2.10    yesterday

Wow, and yet you ignore the fact that Dowless used to be a Democrat operative.  How many elections did he do this very same tactic for that was in favor of Democrats, but when he switches to working for a Republican, he gets caught?  It sounds to me that Harris was set up by the Democrats.

epistte
1.2.18  epistte  replied to  tomwcraig @1.2.17    yesterday
Wow, and yet you ignore the fact that Dowless used to be a Democrat operative.  How many elections did he do this very same tactic for that was in favor of Democrats, but when he switches to working for a Republican, he gets caught?  It sounds to me that Harris was set up by the Democrats.

That reply is an argument from ignorance fallacy.

tomwcraig
1.2.19  tomwcraig  replied to  epistte @1.2.18    21 hours ago

How is it ignorance fallacy?  He was a Democrat operative for years before working for Harris and only now does this scheme of his come to light.  The point is unless this was his first time doing something like this, there is a pattern there that helped Democrats win elections.  And, based on the fact he had more than a dozen people being ballot mules (signing as witnesses and then picking up the absentee ballots to be delivered to Dowless), I don't think this was a one time thing of his.

epistte
1.2.20  epistte  replied to  tomwcraig @1.2.19    21 hours ago
How is it ignorance fallacy?  He was a Democrat operative for years before working for Harris and only now does this scheme of his come to light.  The point is unless this was his first time doing something like this, there is a pattern there that helped Democrats win elections.  And, based on the fact he had more than a dozen people being ballot mules (signing as witnesses and then picking up the absentee ballots to be delivered to Dowless), I don't think this was a one time thing of his.

All you have are leading questions and unsupported insinuations. Innuendo is not a logical argument.

Description: The assumption of a conclusion or fact based primarily on lack of evidence to the contrary.  Usually best described by, “absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”

https://www.logicallyfallacious.com/tools/lp/Bo/LogicalFallacies/56/Argument-from-Ignorance

tomwcraig
1.2.21  tomwcraig  replied to  epistte @1.2.20    17 hours ago

Actually, I have an incorrect thought about him.  Harris was the 3rd Republican he has worked for since 2014.  In 2010 and 2012, he worked for Democrats.  In all of the elections Dowless worked in, the candidate he worked for got a huge percentage of absentee ballots in their favor:

https://dailyjournalonline.com/news/national/govt-and-politics/here-s-what-we-know-about-the-unresolved-house-race/article_bcd6c8e2-8bbb-5ff3-bbff-29243277d733.html

By the way, the link is from a newspaper owned by Lee Enterprises, whom own the Albany Democrat-Herald, which is a local newspaper for me.

bugsy
1.2.22  bugsy  replied to  badfish hαηd ⊕ƒ †hε Ωuεεη @1.2.16    11 hours ago

[deleted]

1.2.23  seeder  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  badfish hαηd ⊕ƒ †hε Ωuεεη @1.2.16    6 hours ago

This article is about voting and election fraud not registration fraud.  That's an entirely different issue.  Got it?  

1.2.24  seeder  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  tomwcraig @1.2.21    5 hours ago
Actually, I have an incorrect thought about him. 

I'm glad you  corrected your error.  But, in doing so you committed even more.  Here's a graph of the candidates he worked for since 2010:  

Dowless also worked for a Rep in 2010 (Meredith, who's still in the NC House).  Three of the 7 candidates in that graph are Reps but he helped Harris, the last on the list in both the primary and general election.  Furthermore, as you can see for the third one from the left, Al Leonard (D), and the third from the right, William Brisson (R), he did not always provide a "huge percentage" of the absentee votes for candidates he worked for.  From what we've learned about him he likely worked both sides of an election. 

1.2.25  seeder  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @1.2.24    4 hours ago

My mistake:  4 of the above 7 politicians are Republicans. 

tomwcraig
1.2.26  tomwcraig  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @1.2.24    3 hours ago

I was going by what was written in the article I linked and what I previously heard on The Daily Ledger about him.

badfish hαηd ⊕ƒ †hε Ωuεεη
1.2.27  badfish hαηd ⊕ƒ †hε Ωuεεη  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @1.2.23    18 minutes ago

You asked for a link and I provided it.

Got it?

Don't ask for proof if you don't want it discussed.

Tessylo
2  Tessylo    3 days ago

[Removed]

Rmando
3  Rmando    3 days ago

Funny. That sounds exactly what Democrats did in California to turn all those seats blue. It's called voter harvesting and it seems Dems are only bothered when it works against them.

Dismayed Patriot
3.1  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Rmando @3    3 days ago
It's called voter harvesting and it seems Dems are only bothered when it works against them.

Allowing friends or family to deliver your ballot is very different than a political operative coming around, collecting them all and then intentionally not delivering them.

"At the center of the controversy appears to be Leslie McCrae Dowless, who worked for Harris' campaign, and a large number of absentee ballots."

"A large majority of those unreturned ballots belonged to African-Americans and Native American voters, the newspaper reported."

"Dowless, who served prison time in 1995 for felony fraud and was convicted of felony perjury in 1992, has worked on get-out-the-vote efforts for various local and legislative candidates through the years." (from seeded article)

Ex-Con working for Republican Mark Harris's campaign, why am I not surprised.

Rmando
3.1.1  Rmando  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @3.1    3 days ago

Actually the people picking up ballots in CA were Democrat operatives who even offered to "help" people fill out their ballots. At any rate anybody who is able to mail a ballot or get to a poll would be a fool to trust a stranger to turn in their ballots for them.

Dismayed Patriot
3.1.2  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Rmando @3.1.1    3 days ago
At any rate anybody who is able to mail a ballot or get to a poll would be a fool to trust a stranger to turn in their ballots for them.

Agreed. As far as I had heard the groups in California were offering their services to those unable to get to a poll or an official ballot drop off location.

"How do I turn in my vote-by-mail ballot on Election Day?

You may return it in person to any polling place in your county or to your county elections office on Election Day. If you are unable to return the ballot yourself, you may designate any person to return the ballot to the elections official or the precinct board at any polling place within the jurisdiction. The ballot must be received by the elections official or the precinct board before the close of the polls at 8:00 p.m. on Election Day in order to be counted."

https://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/frequently-asked-questions/

3.1.3  seeder  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Rmando @3.1.1    2 days ago

Bullshit, as proven by DP's comment above. 

3.1.4  seeder  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @3.1    2 days ago

Their lying is in hyper-desperation mode now, eh, DP?

Rmando
3.1.5  Rmando  replied to  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו @3.1.3    2 days ago

Bullshit on your bullshit, as evidenced by this video showing the Democrats vote harvesting at work.

3.1.6  seeder  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Rmando @3.1.5    yesterday

So you think you've got evidence here of an attempted crime* at the same time you're dismissing the years and thousands of ballots (3400 hundred alone unaccounted for in Bladen and Robeson Co.'s  NC just this past election ) stolen by a republican operative paid for by republican candidates.  Wow, that  desperation at the highest level. 

*by the way, if she's committing a crime and announces that she's telling the resident it's  for the democrats, it's more likely she's a republican who wants the homeowner to remember that it was someone working for democrats. Furthermore, you still haven't shown any evidence of this being a widespread activity or even where it took place.  So you've gone from bullshit to bullshit².

Oh, and then there's this:

Is it legal?

Yes.

In 2016, Gov. Jerry Brown signed into law achange to Section 3017 of the Election Codethat allows any person to collect a mail-in ballot from voters and turn in the mail ballot to a polling place or the registrar’s office. Prior law restricted the practice to just relatives of or those living in the same household as the voter.

And don't even try to whine about it being unfair.  You can be sure that if Dems did it, Reps did, too.  

3.1.7  seeder  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו  replied to  Rmando @3.1.5    yesterday

Just for fun, here's still more evidence for what a scurvy lie it was that Dems were doing something illegal in CA:

“To say we were caught flat-footed by this is just not true,” California GOP spokesman Matt Fleming told Fox News. “We were well aware of this, we even did it ourselves, we pay attention to election laws.”

4  seeder  Atheist יוחנן בן אברהם אבינו    2 days ago

This article is about actual election and voter fraud, not registration fraud which is not okay but is almost always detected before an election.*  Attempts to deflect to that topic are being tagged as "off topic."  Which reminds me to remind everyone of another massive Republican voting fraud case in NH:

2002 New Hampshire Senate election phone jamming scandal

* In the famous Acorn case that rightwingers love to cite, it was actually Acorn representatives who notice irregularities and reported them.