╌>

California illegal immigrant ‘cop-killer’ taken into custody, officials say

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jasper2529  •  6 years ago  •  188 comments

California illegal immigrant ‘cop-killer’ taken into custody, officials say
Singh “truly loved what he did.”

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The illegal immigrant fugitive wanted in the murder of a California police officer is in custody Friday after being on the run for more than two days, Fox News confirms.

Police arrested the man near Bakersfield, about 280 miles southeast of Newman, where Police Cpl. Ronil Singh was gunned down early Wednesday. The arrest was confirmed by the Fresno County Sheriff's Office and Kern County Sheriff's Office.

The news comes as the Stanislaus County Sheriff’s Department -- which has been handling the case -- says it will be holding a press conference at 3 p.m. ET Friday to discuss “significant developments in the Newman investigation.” The Kern County Sheriff's Office told Fox News it will hold its own press conference an hour later.

Details of the arrest were not immediately available, but the announcement of it came nearly a day after Newman Police Chief Randy Richardson made an emotional plea for the suspect to turn himself in.

“A coward took his life," Richardson said. “We need closure. His family needs closure."

The suspect, whose name has not yet been revealed, also  may have connections to a violent Mexican-American street gang , according to an image circulating on social media confirmed as authentic by investigators early Friday.

The photo shows the alleged “cop-killer” posing in a tank-top shirt, with a metal chain necklace draped around his neck and a large flaming skull tattoo visible on his right arm. Underneath the tattoo is the word “$ur3no$,” which, according to police in Washington State, is Spanish for “southerners”.

“Sureños are a group of Mexican-American street gangs with origins in southern California (south of Bakersfield),”   reads a profile on the group in a police gang recognition guide . “The gang has allegiance to the [California] prison gang, Mexican Mafia, aka “La Eme”.

The gang recently has been blamed for murders and human smuggling crimes along the U.S.-Mexico border.

Stanislaus County Sheriff Adam Christianson said Thursday that police have possession of a truck believed to have been driven by the suspect in Singh’s killing, but authorities won’t release his identity until they are “100 percent certain we have the right name.”

The suspect was stopped by Singh for a DUI investigation before engaging in a gunfight with the officer, during which Singh tried to defend himself, Christianson said.

Singh was a native of Fiji and left behind a wife and 5-month-old son. The officer, who joined the force in the summer of 2011, was remembered fondly by the Newman police chief, who said Singh “truly loved what he did.”

“He came to this country with one purpose, and that was to serve this country,” Richardson said.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
1  seeder  Jasper2529    6 years ago
The man appears to have at least five Facebook profiles, each with a different alias. Four of the pages say he is from Mexico’s Colima State on its Pacific Coast and contain images of him with the “Sureños” tattoo and silver chain necklace visible. Some of the pages are Facebook friends with one another. One of the profiles purportedly belonging to the individual contains numerous images of pistols and weapons, and several images of him crossing his arms while holding a pistol.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1  Texan1211  replied to  Jasper2529 @1    6 years ago

Did it show him begging for asylum?

It must be very comforting to Californians knowing that their "leaders" care more about illegal aliens than they do the safety of their own LEGAL constituents.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
2  seeder  Jasper2529    6 years ago

H3EXZhh.jpg

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
2.1  Sunshine  replied to  Jasper2529 @2    6 years ago

What a beautiful family.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4  Texan1211    6 years ago

The illegal alien was just here for a job to support his family, right?

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
4.1  Sunshine  replied to  Texan1211 @4    6 years ago

Now who is going take of the cop's family and that little baby? 

Cop killers should rot in hell not prison.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  Sunshine @4.1    6 years ago

People who advocate for illegal aliens probably don't care too much about that. But just let California DARE to let feds know when this illegal alien is released, and the hounds will be set free!

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
4.1.2  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  Sunshine @4.1    6 years ago
Now who is going take of the cop's family and that little baby? 

The Steven Siller Tunnel to Towers Foundation is already collecting money for them. 100% of the donations that the foundation receives goes to the families of fallen first responders. They pay off existing mortgages, give or modify homes to wounded veterans ... many things to make life a little easier for grieving families.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
4.1.3  Sunshine  replied to  Jasper2529 @4.1.2    6 years ago

Good to know Jasper...I can't imagine loosing your husband to murder and then having to deal with taking care of a baby all by yourself.  I hope she has family and friends close by too.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
4.2  SteevieGee  replied to  Texan1211 @4    6 years ago

I wonder how many of the other 7 people murdered with guns in the USA on that day were murdered by undocumented people?

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
4.2.1  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  SteevieGee @4.2    6 years ago
I wonder how many of the other 7 people murdered with guns in the USA on that day were murdered by undocumented people?

This seed is about an illegal alien who killed a police officer. If you want to discuss the other people, seed/moderate your own article but don't derail mine. Thank you in advance. 

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
4.2.2  SteevieGee  replied to  Jasper2529 @4.2.1    6 years ago

Your seed singled out one murderer out of many based upon his immigration status.  I simply wanted to point out that we live in a country with an average of 8 murders a day (actually the statistic is for gun murders only) to put it into perspective.  Keep in mind that I, in no way condone the heinous crime that this guy has committed but I also think that it shouldn't be used to taint an entire race of people.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.3  Texan1211  replied to  SteevieGee @4.2    6 years ago

Look it up if truly interested.

What does that have to do with an illegal alien--someone who shouldn't have even been here in the first place--have to do with it?

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
4.2.4  arkpdx  replied to  SteevieGee @4.2.2    6 years ago

Illegal alien is not a race. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.2.5  Texan1211  replied to  SteevieGee @4.2.2    6 years ago

He "singled" it out because that is the story here.

If you wish to just talk about murders in general, seed an article and we can talk about murder.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
4.2.6  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  SteevieGee @4.2.2    6 years ago
Your seed singled out one murderer out of many based upon his immigration status.

That's your opinion. The truth, based upon facts, is that I seeded this article because it is headline news. 

it shouldn't be used to taint an entire race of people.

Facts: Gustavo Arriaga is a Mexican citizen who has ILLEGALLY lived in the USA for many years and has a documented history of many crimes. Mexican nationals are not a "race of people". Please learn the differences between race, nationality, and ethnicity. Each are different. 

If you don't like my seed's topic or cannot responsibly contribute to our discussion, please refrain from commenting. Your choice.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
4.2.8  SteevieGee  replied to  arkpdx @4.2.4    6 years ago

By race I mean Hispanic.  Nobody is proposing a wall along the east coast to keep out the Europeans or around Alaska to keep out the Russians. 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
4.2.9  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  SteevieGee @4.2.8    6 years ago
By race I mean Hispanic. 

Hispanic is not a race of people. People who are biologically Caucasians,  Africans, or Asians who live/were born in Hispanic countries (any country where the language is Spanish) are Hispanic.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.2.10  sandy-2021492  replied to  SteevieGee @4.2.8    6 years ago
Russians.

Hell, we even embrace Russian spies, so long as they dress scantily and like guns.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
4.2.11  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.2.10    6 years ago

If I'm not mistaken, you are a moderator. Please do not derail my seeds by making off-topic comments. Thank you.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
4.2.12  SteevieGee  replied to  Jasper2529 @4.2.9    6 years ago

While you argue semantics another 8 people will be murdered today.  Where is the outrage?

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
4.2.13  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  SteevieGee @4.2.12    6 years ago
While you argue

My comment history proves that I do not "argue" with people. I present facts, discuss, and move forward.

semantics

Defining the differences between race and ethnicity are not semantics; they are facts.

another 8 people will be murdered today.

Unfortunately, many more than 8 people will likely be murdered today.

Where is the outrage?

I most certainly have outrage, but I cannot compel others to feel the same.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
4.2.14  Cerenkov  replied to  SteevieGee @4.2.12    6 years ago

Stay out of Chicago or other liberal strongholds and you should be safe.

arkpdx
Professor Quiet
5  arkpdx    6 years ago

Darn! I was so hoping that he would resist violently when they caught up to him and that he would receive the 9mm of punishment he so richly deserves 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6  Texan1211    6 years ago

If the guy is convicted, anyone want to take bets that California doesn't inform the feds when he will be getting out?

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Texan1211 @6    6 years ago

He killed a LEO which makes him automatically eligible for the DP under the enhancement law.  He won't be getting out.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @6.1    6 years ago

Is that a federal law?

If it is, that's great.

If it is just a California law, who knows what those folks in California will pass next?

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
6.1.2  SteevieGee  replied to  Texan1211 @6.1.1    6 years ago

What happened to states rights? We Californians just enjoy more rights than you do.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
6.1.3  Vic Eldred  replied to  SteevieGee @6.1.2    6 years ago
What happened to states rights?

Good question. Right back at ya - What happened to the will of the people of California? What happened to proposition 187, passed by the people of CA?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  SteevieGee @6.1.2    6 years ago
What happened to states rights? We Californians just enjoy more rights than you do.

Really? Name some. I would love to hear of some of them.

Please don't include your right to pay a state income tax, either.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
6.1.5  Cerenkov  replied to  Texan1211 @6.1.4    6 years ago

The right to have guns confiscated

The right to a straw-free life

The right to high taxation 

The right to have your taxes support illegal aliens

The right to make up ridiculous claims about having more rights...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.6  Texan1211  replied to  Cerenkov @6.1.5    6 years ago

Well, that is certainly more of an answer than I was given by the poster claiming to have more rights because he lives in California!

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
6.1.7  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @6.1    6 years ago
He killed a LEO which makes him automatically eligible for the DP under the enhancement law.  He won't be getting out.

Eligible and happening are two different things.

Cop Killers Do Not Always Receive the Death Sentence [read examples]

Another ...

San Francisco District Attorney   Kamala Harris   said Tuesday she will not seek the death penalty against a man accused of killing a San Francisco police officer over the weekend, a decision that legal experts say is rare if not unprecedented in California. Instead, Harris said she will charge   David Hill , 21, with crimes that could send him to life in prison without the possibility of parole. Hill is suspected of killing Officer   Isaac Espinoza , 29, with an assault weapon and wounding his partner, Officer   Barry Parker , 38.
Police say Hill is a Bayview neighborhood gang member who fired on the officers because he didn't want to get caught carrying a semiautomatic rifle.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
8  Sean Treacy    6 years ago

I wonder how the supporters of Sancutary Laws sleep at night...

A preventable death is on your hands...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.1  Texan1211  replied to  Sean Treacy @8    6 years ago

I think they should sleep with one eye open--they might be the next victim of an illegal alien.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
8.1.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Texan1211 @8.1    6 years ago

Nice fear mongering.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
8.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @8.1.1    6 years ago

It isn't fear mongering to expect laws to be obeyed, and Americans to support those laws being enforced.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
8.1.4  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  XDm9mm @8.1.3    6 years ago
... people on Long Island. However, there are quite a few places on the Island I know you would not want to be alone after dark, hell in some places any time of the day.

Long Island is infested with those nice illegal alien boys and girls who belong to MS-13 and other illegal alien gangs.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
8.1.5  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Jasper2529 @8.1.4    6 years ago
Long Island is infested

No comment.

And MS 13 is full of a lot of homegrowns that helped us in the 1980's. Here are the facts:

And they really only exist in one town, Brentwood/Islip. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
8.1.6  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  XDm9mm @8.1.3    6 years ago

I know a lot of people in Texas and none of them sleep with a gun and some even in border areas.  

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.1.7  Vic Eldred  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @8.1.1    6 years ago
Nice fear mongering

Sorry, Perrie, but the era of immigrants being concerned about American acceptance has undergone a 180 degree change to where American citizens legitimately fear for their safety. I suppose we can thank the likes of Ira Glasser and all that followed.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
8.1.8  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @8.1.5    6 years ago
And MS 13 is full of a lot of homegrowns that helped us in the 1980's. Here are the facts:

That link neither shows nor proves how MS-13 "helped us in the 1980s", Perrie. The slideshow illustrates that the MS-13 consists of brutal,  murderous thugs. Why are you defending them?

And they [MS-13] really only exist in one town, Brentwood/Islip. 

Really? What about  Central Islip, Huntington Station, Hempstead and Freeport in Suffolk County? 

What about MS-13 in Nassau County which is also on Long Island ...

Oh, wait ... immediately West of Nassau County is Queens (NYC) ...

Still want to claim that MS-13 is only in one town?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
8.1.9  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Jasper2529 @8.1.8    6 years ago
Perrie. The slideshow illustrates that the MS-13 consists of brutal,  murderous thugs. Why are you defending them?

Where do you get that I am defending them? They are a plague on society as most gangs are. 

Really? What about  Central Islip, Huntington Station, Hempstead and Freeport in Suffolk County? 

OK, I know from that comment you know nothing about the geography or the neighborhoods of Long Island.  Central Islip and Huntington Station, as well as the aforementioned Brentwood, are all part of Greater Islip and are in Suffolk County. Freeport is in Nassau County and is a poor neighborhood that has always had gang activity. The fighting there is about opposing gangs. The articles you are referencing (I read them all), is about the impact on these poorer communities. 

The story about the murder of the Rockaways is highly unusual. But here is a more accurate story to the situation here:

MS-13 gang members have been involved in more than a dozen killings in New York City and the surrounding suburbs since 2016, most of them occurring in Brentwood and Central Islip on Long Island according to an Associated Press report in April 2017.

May I please point out that the article confirms what I said in the beginning about where they are mostly. I live here, so I do take an active interest in what's going on with them.

MS 13 is now found in over 40 states, and so I am not shocked they are here. It is also a well known fact that unaccompanied young men from south of the border are a target for them. But the point you seem to miss, is that the US is at fault for them being here in the first place. That is what the slide show was about. And in no way am I happy that it or them, but Long Island is in no way going to hell in a handbasket from them and our police are very much on top of the situation. 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
8.1.10  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @8.1.9    6 years ago
Where do you get that I am defending them?

In comment  8.1.5   you said:

And MS 13 is full of a lot of homegrowns that helped us in the 1980's.

This strongly implied that MS-13 has been beneficial to law enforcement and Americans' safety.

They are a plague on society as most gangs are.

On this, we can definitely agree.

OK, I know from that comment you know nothing about the geography or the neighborhoods of Long Island.

You can assume whatever you wish about my knowledge (or lack thereof), but all you have are assumptions. I do not share much of my personal information on social media, and your assumption/accusation exhibited why I refrain from doing so. Suffice it to say that I have several family members who have served and continue to serve in law enforcement in NYC, Long Island, and other locations. One of them became permanently disabled after an MS-13 thug shot him on Long Island.

but Long Island is in no way going to hell in a handbasket from them 

To the best of my knowledge, no one has stated this.

and our police are very much on top of the situation. 

I have first-hand knowledge that this is true.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
8.1.11  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Jasper2529 @8.1.10    6 years ago
And MS 13 is full of a lot of homegrowns that helped us in the 1980's.
This strongly implied that MS-13 has been beneficial to law enforcement and Americans' safety.

Ah, now I see. I inverted two words. Let me fix that. 

And MS 13 is full of a lot of homegrowns that US helped in the 1980's. 

Beginning in the 1980s, the   United States government funneled billions of dollars   to corrupt,   human-rights abusing officials throughout the region   to prevent it from falling into the hands of leftists who had been staging uprisings throughout those countries in Central America, known as the Northern Triangle.
A gruesome civil war between the government and Marxist guerrillas in El Salvador from 1980-1992   claimed 75,000 lives . The United Nations Truth Commission found that Salvadoran government forces, which included military officers trained by the US, paramilitaries and death squads, were responsible for more than 85 percent of the killings and torture.
One of the most brutal conflicts in Latin American history was that of Guatemala's 36-year war in which, according to a truth commission,   more than 200,000 mostly indigenous people   were killed after being accused of being sympathetic to leftist guerrillas. The US supported the government, despite knowing of its egregious human-rights abuses.
Honduras did not have a civil war but became a staging ground for the various conflicts in neighboring Central American countries, including for US-backed groups.

A gang is born

Years of brutal armed conflict have left the region utterly destabilized and led hundreds of thousands of people to seek refuge in the United States. Many Salvadorans began to settle in the barrios of Los Angeles in the early 1980s. In order to protect themselves from already established neighborhood gangs, a group of them formed their own gang called Mara Salvatrucha or MS-13.
It initially consisted of a bunch of   heavy metal enthusiasts who chose devil horns   as their insignia, according to the International Committee of the Red Cross. They would grow to become one of the deadliest gangs in L.A. and throughout the country.
Read more here:  
P: OK, I know from that comment you know nothing about the geography or the neighborhoods of Long Island.

J: You can assume whatever you wish about my knowledge (or lack thereof), but all you have are assumptions. I do not share much of my personal information on social media, and your assumption/accusation exhibited why I refrain from doing so.

P: I am only saying that you don't know LI geography. Most non Long Islanders don't. 

J:  Suffice it to say that I have several family members who have served and continue to serve in law enforcement in NYC, Long Island, and other locations. One of them became permanently disabled after an MS-13 thug shot him on Long Island.

P: I don't see how that is personal information and I am really sorry to hear that. But my daughter's boyfriend got shot in the knee while doing drug interdiction while being in the Coast Guard. They all know what they are getting into when they sign up for the job, and I am very glad that both of us had good luck in that respect. And yes drug dealers/ gangs suck. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
8.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  Sean Treacy @8    6 years ago

"In September 2017, the Criminal Alien Gang Member Removal Act, which would have given authorities the ability to take immigration enforcement action against suspected gang members even if they have not been convicted of a crime, passed the House along party lines but did not receive further Senate consideration."

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
8.2.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Vic Eldred @8.2    6 years ago
Suffice it to say that I have several family members who have served and continue to serve in law enforcement in NYC, Long Island, and other locations. One of them became permanently disabled after an MS-13 thug shot him on Long Island.

Listen, I think that law should have passed but there you have it. Why partisan politics sucks. Because there was stuff that should have been passed under every administration but doesn't get passed because it's almost always drawn along party line. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
9  Tacos!    6 years ago

Citizens commit crime, of course, and solving that problem has its own complications because one of the perks of being a citizen is they can't deport you no matter what you do.

But here is a tragedy that could have been prevented in the simplest of ways. Just keep the guy out of the country or, failing that, deport him when you catch him.

Our government could have done that. In fact, it's their responsibility to do that and they were empowered to do exactly that. But they chose not to.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.1  Texan1211  replied to  Tacos! @9    6 years ago

One day there will be a court case where a sanctuary city, county, or state will be sued over their policies.

of course, that means there will be more tragedies like this one, too, before a sane court allows the case to proceed.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
9.1.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Texan1211 @9.1    6 years ago
One day there will be a court case where a sanctuary city, county, or state will be sued over their policies.

And I think that would be correct. They are breaking US fed law. 

of course, that means there will be more tragedies like this one, too, before a sane court allows the case to proceed.

Maybe. What are we going to do with all those other legal murders?

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
9.1.2  livefreeordie  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9.1.1    6 years ago

There is no such thing as legal murder. That is an oxymoron (but I know what you intended to say)

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
9.1.3  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  livefreeordie @9.1.2    6 years ago

Yes, I could have phrased that better. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
9.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Tacos! @9    6 years ago
But here is a tragedy that could have been prevented in the simplest of ways. Just keep the guy out of the country or, failing that, deport him when you catch him.

I am not disagreeing there, Tacos. But my point is that there for every 1 like this, is literally over a 1,000 cops shot last year alone. So, really which is the bigger problem?

The implied message is that illegals are criminals, not that a criminal was illegal. Can you see the difference? 

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
9.2.2  livefreeordie  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9.2    6 years ago

“Departments of Justice and Homeland Security Release Data on Incarcerated Aliens—94 Percent of All Confirmed Aliens in DOJ Custody Are Unlawfully Present

President Trump’s Executive Order on Enhancing Public Safety in the Interior of the United States requires the Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to collect relevant data and provide quarterly reports on data collection efforts. On Dec. 18, 2017, DOJ and DHS released the FY 2017 4th Quarter Alien Incarceration Report, complying with this order.[1]  The report found that more than one-in-five of all persons in Bureau of Prisons custody were foreign born, and that 94 percent of confirmed aliens in custody were unlawfully present.”

“Recent crime analysis by both the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and Texas law enforcement authorities indicate that between June 2011 and March 2017, over 217,000 criminal immigrants were arrested and booked into Texas jails. 

In researching the criminal careers of these defendants, it was revealed that they had jointly committed over nearly 600,000 criminal offenses. Their arrests included nearly 1,200 homicides; almost 69,000 assaults; 16,854 burglaries; 700 kidnappings; nearly 6,200 sexual assaults; 69,000 drug offenses; 8,700 weapons violations; over 3,800 robberies and over 45,000 obstructing police charges. In determining the status of these offenders in the U.S., it was confirmed by DHS that over 173,000 or 66 percent of these immigrant criminal defendants were in our country illegally at the times of their arrests.”

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
9.2.4  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  XDm9mm @9.2.1    6 years ago

You know what I mean by criminals. I mean people who endanger our populous. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
9.2.5  sandy-2021492  replied to  XDm9mm @9.2.1    6 years ago
When they crossed to border

Crossing our border is not necessarily illegal.  We don't require citizens of all countries to have visas to enter the country.  I think that's something many people tend to forget - not all border crossings are illegal, and neither is applying for asylum.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
9.2.7  sandy-2021492  replied to  Release The Kraken @9.2.6    6 years ago
but that is not what this discussion is about at all.

Then people should limit their comments to discussions about crossing the border illegally.  Too often, many appear to think that any border crossing, even with the intent of applying for asylum, is illegal.  And then some get stirred up over "illegal immigrants" whose only "crime" was to cross the border, which isn't a crime in and of itself.

People don't become criminals when they cross our border.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
9.2.9  sandy-2021492  replied to  Release The Kraken @9.2.8    6 years ago

I'm advocating for more precision with language.  When somebody says that people become criminals when they cross the border, that's an issue.  It doesn't take long to include the adverb "illegally".  Imprecision and omissions are how people end up believing that asylum seekers are the same as illegal immigrants, and lump them all together.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
9.2.11  sandy-2021492  replied to  Release The Kraken @9.2.10    6 years ago
Advocating for language has nothing to do with the law.

It does when laziness leads one to call something illegal which isn't necessarily illegal, and stirs up public sentiment against "illegals" who, by applying for asylum or attempting to do so, aren't actually doing anything illegal at all.

This attitude of "anyone who comes across our southern border is here illegally" thing causes some to unfairly assume the worst about Latinos - that they're probably "illegal" just for being here.  Many aren't.  Or that they're criminals just for trying to cross the border.  Also not true.

But nuance is lost on some.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
9.2.13  Cerenkov  replied to  Release The Kraken @9.2.12    6 years ago

Well said. No amount of liberal newspeak changes the fact that illegal entry is illegal.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
9.2.14  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  XDm9mm @9.2.1    6 years ago
When they crossed to border or overstayed a visa, they became criminals.   They did in fact break the law.

It's also a crime to text in the car. If you get caught, are you a criminal? People break the law every day, and they are not considered criminals. When you call someone a criminal, you are implying that they have done something truly grievous. And while I am for border control, I also feel that those who cross illegally or come in past their visas are not criminals, but should be deported sans outstanding circumstances. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
9.2.15  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Release The Kraken @9.2.12    6 years ago

I am not saying that you don't need permission to stay here and I have said this over and over. It just seems to me that the focus on the southern border, while ignoring the rest of the other illegal immigration is wrong and our whole immigration system, sucks. It prevents arbitrarily, legal immigration, which also is part of the root cause of illegal immigration. Extreme vetting isn't putting a professional in a pool in the hope that their name gets drawn. That isn't vetting nor is it fair. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
9.2.16  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Cerenkov @9.2.13    6 years ago

I am not sure who that comment was directed to Ceenkov, but it better not have been to me. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
9.2.17  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  livefreeordie @9.2.2    6 years ago

LFOD,

The report is about criminals. It is not about all the others who come here and pick veggies and paint homes, etc. Of course, if they are in prison, they are criminals and I am sure that the worst of the worst are going to get in trouble in the state of entry, which is mostly Texas and California. We are not in disagreement about that. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
9.2.18  sandy-2021492  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9.2.14    6 years ago
People break the law every day, and they are not considered criminals.

Everybody here who has ever gone just one mph over the speed limit (and I'm willing to bet that's about 100%), or didn't come to a complete stop at a stop sign or red light is a criminal, technically speaking.

But not everybody who has crossed the border is, as has been said.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
9.2.19  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  sandy-2021492 @9.2.5    6 years ago
Crossing our border is not necessarily illegal.  We don't require citizens of all countries to have visas to enter the country.

Please cite one foreign country where their nationals do not have to have visas and/or proper documentation to enter the USA. Canada doesn't count, because all that's needed is a current, valid passport.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
9.2.20  sandy-2021492  replied to  Jasper2529 @9.2.19    6 years ago

Sigh. I wish people would actually read what I type.  I never said they shouldn't have proper documentation.

I object to the generalization I've noticed recently in which all brown immigrants along our southern border, including those who intend to apply for asylum, are assumed to be entering the country illegally.

There are multiple situations in which it's legal to cross the border.  Even brown people from south of us.  You'd never know it, if you went by some of the comments here.

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
9.2.21  Cerenkov  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9.2.16    6 years ago

It was a reply to bad fish about sandy's "nuance" diversion.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
9.2.23  1stwarrior  replied to    6 years ago

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
9.2.24  seeder  Jasper2529  replied to  sandy-2021492 @9.2.20    5 years ago

You neglected to fulfill the specific request I asked of you in  9.2.19 . I mentioned nothing about "brown" people or our southern border, by the way.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
10  1stwarrior    6 years ago